PDA

View Full Version : Duke v. Barton College

Bob Green
11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Our next, and last, exhibition game is on Saturday against Barton College. They were State's first exhibition opponent and the Wolfpack cruised to a 94-57 victory (http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/757950.html). Barton's tallest player is 6'6" so this game isn't going to test our interior players, but the scrappy Barton team did grab 16 offensive rebounds in their game with State.

It will be interesting to compare the results of the two games, which should lead to some lively discussion.

captmojo
11-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Our next, and last, exhibition game is on Saturday against Barton College. They were State's first exhibition opponent and the Wolfpack cruised to a 94-57 victory (http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/757950.html). Barton's tallest player is 6'6" so this game isn't going to test our interior players, but the scrappy Barton team did grab 16 offensive rebounds in their game with State.

It will be interesting to compare the results of the two games, which should lead to some lively discussion.

A very worthy note. I do put great stock in comparisons to others by common opponents in basketball. I don't think it works as a good comparison for other team sports quite as well as basketball though.

creekside
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I have been looking forward to this game with mixed feelings. First of all, I'm a weekend college student at Barton and I'm set to graduate in May. But, I'm a lifelong Duke fan and therein lies my problem. I was so EXCITED last year when my Bulldogs pulled off the win for the Championship! I don't know which shirt I'll wear Saturday.....maybe I'll go for the Duke sweatpants and the Barton t-shirt? H:) Either way, I'll just be leaving class at the tipoff....hope it's on the radio!

cheers,
creekside

OZZIE4DUKE
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
I think comparing our game vs. Barton to State's, and our game against Shaw to carolina's, will both be very interesting. Of course, they don't mean squat, but the comparisons will be interesting.

In our game against Shaw, we didn't shoot 3's well and yet still scored 134 points (leaving ~15 points missed on 3's we should normally make), and defensively we backed off somewhat and allowed them too many points in the last 24 minutes, yet still beat them by 79. If carolina beats them 155 - 27, I'll be impressed with carolina; anything less and it is meaningless.

Bob Green
11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I think comparing our game vs. Barton to State's, and our game against Shaw to carolina's, will both be very interesting. Of course, they don't mean squat, but the comparisons will be interesting.

I didn't notice that Carolina was playing Shaw until I popped over to Inside Carolina for a couple of minutes (I suffer from momentary lapses into mental illness a couple of times a month). What I found interesting about their message board was all the Duke threads. There was a Shaw game thread, an Elliot Williams to Duke thread, a Singler thread, etc...they are obsessed with hating us. They talk about Duke as much as they talk about their own team.

But I digress, the point of my post is to agree with OZZIE4DUKE that the comparisons will be interesting!

devildeac
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I didn't notice that Carolina was playing Shaw until I popped over to Inside Carolina for a couple of minutes (I suffer from momentary lapses into mental illness a couple of times a month). What I found interesting about their message board was all the Duke threads. There was a Shaw game thread, an Elliot Williams to Duke thread, a Singler thread, etc...they are obsessed with hating us. They talk about Duke as much as they talk about their own team.

But I digress, the point of my post is to agree with OZZIE4DUKE that the comparisons will be interesting!

We are guilty of that sometimes 'round these parts, but I agree with Bob, they have nearly an absolute obsession with hating us.

merry
11-02-2007, 01:00 PM
I have been looking forward to this game with mixed feelings. First of all, I'm a weekend college student at Barton and I'm set to graduate in May. But, I'm a lifelong Duke fan and therein lies my problem. I was so EXCITED last year when my Bulldogs pulled off the win for the Championship! I don't know which shirt I'll wear Saturday.....maybe I'll go for the Duke sweatpants and the Barton t-shirt? H:) Either way, I'll just be leaving class at the tipoff....hope it's on the radio!

cheers,
creekside

You're supposed to cut the two t-shirts in half and sew a Duke half to a Barton half to make this special occasion outfit!

Clipsfan
11-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Wow, that really puts the stuff here in perspective... Please don't post about there again, I only wander over there when people here mention them.

Lulu
11-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Wow, that is really interesting reading; I suggest everyone head over there. They talk more about us than we do. The only bad part was that it made me really sad we didn't land Monroe, because I think we could actually hear them crying had that worked out. Even at #1 you can just tell they're deathly afraid of us. ...still can't believe Monroe didn't even take his official visit though.

dukestheheat
11-02-2007, 07:51 PM
hey creekside,

first of all, total congrats on your win last year in the tourney, and that last series of Barton shots/scores has to be one of the most exciting sets of action that i've seen on the basketball court for a long time.

do you still have that explosive guard on the team?

classic playground player who rocked it.

dth.

graybead
11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
The explosive guard you are talking about is Anthony Atkinson. Unfortunately for Barton, he is now witht he Harlem Globetrotters. He was at the State game and I think he'll be at the Duke game, but sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Barton is still a great Division II team and should challenge for their conference championship and move on in the tournament.

JasonEvans
11-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't put too much stock in comparing blowouts. When the opponents are as overmatched as these Division II exhibition opponents are (hello Michigan State!) a good ACC team can pretty much do whatever it wants with the game.

Duke scored 134 points on Shaw. If Carolina only scores 90 or 100 points on Shaw does that really say anything about Duke in relationship to Carolina? If they wanted to, I have no doubt that Carolina could put up something around 134 on Shaw-- maybe more, maybe less. On the other hand, the Heels probably have stuff to work on and tweak and combinations to explore so they won't be very concerned with the margin or the number of points they score. The same thing applies to the Barton game and Duke performance relative to NC State.

Every year, once you get about 15 games into the season, you can pretty much design a scenario where the worst team in college basketball could beat the best if you use comparative scores. you know how it works-- A beat B and B beat C and C beat D so A is better than D. It can be an amusing exercise, but in reality it tells us little about teams.

This is just my long way of saying don't read too much into any of these exhibition games. There is a reason they count ZERO in the standings and RPI and the such.

-Jason "still, 134 is an impressive total" Evans

wilson
11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
You're supposed to cut the two t-shirts in half and sew a Duke half to a Barton half to make this special occasion outfit!

But do you go with "BARKE," or "DUTON"? Actually, I suppose you could have both.

captmojo
11-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't put too much stock in comparing blowouts. When the opponents are as overmatched as these Division II exhibition opponents are (hello Michigan State!) a good ACC team can pretty much do whatever it wants with the game.

Duke scored 134 points on Shaw. If Carolina only scores 90 or 100 points on Shaw does that really say anything about Duke in relationship to Carolina? If they wanted to, I have no doubt that Carolina could put up something around 134 on Shaw-- maybe more, maybe less. On the other hand, the Heels probably have stuff to work on and tweak and combinations to explore so they won't be very concerned with the margin or the number of points they score. The same thing applies to the Barton game and Duke performance relative to NC State.

Every year, once you get about 15 games into the season, you can pretty much design a scenario where the worst team in college basketball could beat the best if you use comparative scores. you know how it works-- A beat B and B beat C and C beat D so A is better than D. It can be an amusing exercise, but in reality it tells us little about teams.

This is just my long way of saying don't read too much into any of these exhibition games. There is a reason they count ZERO in the standings and RPI and the such.

-Jason "still, 134 is an impressive total" Evans

I agree with respect to the fact that this is exhibition. But I disagree about common opponent comparisons for games that really count. After all, isn't this of vital importance in relation of RPI standings?

-jk
11-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with respect to the fact that this is exhibition. But I disagree about common opponent comparisons for games that really count. After all, isn't this of vital importance in relation of RPI standings?

Yes, but it's only valid in the aggregate. There is no transitive property in hoops.

-jk

captmojo
11-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, but it's only valid in the aggregate. There is no transitive property in hoops.

-jk

Is it not of importance to the tournament selection committee?

lavell12
11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
we don't look good right now, lots of subing in and out maybe too much.

grannyduke
11-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Score?

lavell12
11-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Score?

losing 17-16

JBDuke
11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Come join us in SnrubChat if you want to keep abreast of things:
http://www.snrub.com:81/SnrubChat/

lavell12
11-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Can hit anything from 3 but good thing we are shooting great at the foul line

Singler is our best player.

yancem
11-03-2007, 06:11 PM
How/where are you watching the game?

lavell12
11-03-2007, 06:13 PM
yo can watch it at goduke.com's tv access but that cost money. I'm just keeping up with the stats at http://www.nmnathletics.com/sharedLiveStats/showFlashData.dbml?KEY=ZMMCFRZAESIPDAP.20071101221 705&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=USER&GAME_STAT_ID=41716&SPORT_ID=1845

yancem
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
yo can watch it at goduke.com's tv access but that cost money. I'm just keeping up with the stats at http://www.nmnathletics.com/sharedLiveStats/showFlashData.dbml?KEY=ZMMCFRZAESIPDAP.20071101221 705&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=USER&GAME_STAT_ID=41716&SPORT_ID=1845

Thanks!

Papa Moon
11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Started a little slow today. Looks like they were rushing many of their shots early, which could be them getting used to knowing when to push it and when to settle down. Defense looks okay, but clearly needs to get stonger on the inside. Singler looks amazing, there really isnt anything that he cant do. Rebounds well, handles the ball like a guard, great touch around the basket. Took over towards the end of the half helping duke open up a 20 point lead. I think it is going to take some time, and this team will take some losses but when they put it all together they are going to be very dangerous. Even though we werent hitting any of our shots (only 1 three pointer i think) we were able to get quick and easy points off transition which is something we could never do last year.

lavell12
11-03-2007, 06:18 PM
no offense from either Lance or Zoubek

lavell12
11-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Kyle Singler maybe the best offensive player in the ACC already.

Indoor66
11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
83-39 - about 5:00 to go

Indoor66
11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
90 - 39 - 3:45 remaining Duke in Zone

Indoor66
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
101 - 44 1:11 left

Indoor66
11-03-2007, 07:05 PM
105-44 final

phaedrus
11-03-2007, 07:20 PM
having no idea what happened in the game, it's hard to believe the first and second halves of this thread are about the same game.