PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 73, Florida St 63 Post-Game Thread (2019 ACC Champs!)

JBDuke
03-16-2019, 10:39 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

scottdude8
03-16-2019, 10:40 PM
Raise a banner. Go into the tournament with momentum and confidence. Zion is healthy, no question.

Heck of a Saturday night.

AGDukesky
03-16-2019, 10:41 PM
Great defensive effort and working hard for rebounds was how this game was won. Tre was huge and I thought Javin did some really good things.

bbosbbos
03-16-2019, 10:41 PM
One word" Sweet"

UrinalCake
03-16-2019, 10:42 PM
We’ve said it all along - at full strength we’re better than anybody. Even without Bolden, after playing an exhausting game yesterday, our talent level just can’t be matched. Loved seeing Tre’s scoring and decision making. Javin was also huge inside playing among those huge FSU bigs. Came away with numerous big time defensive stops and boards.

The first half played out almost identically to yesterday. Once we cleaned up the turnovers we were able to take control.

Zion is an alien, but we also saw other guys step up over the last three days. Gotta love where we are heading into the big dance.

Indoor66
03-16-2019, 10:43 PM
"How Sweet It Is."

Newton_14
Love Love Love it! How sweet it is! Javin was huge inside!

rsvman
Nice!

I guess we really don't need to shoot the three to be really good.

fuse
03-16-2019, 10:44 PM
I expect (deservedly so) that Zion will be named MVP.

Tre was the difference tonight.
What didn’t work as well for Javin against UNC played out well against FSU.

Overall #1 seed in the East?

jhmoss1812
Congrats on winning the ACC championship. Best team won the ACC. #1 overall seed in the East.

jipops
The last 3 halves have been some of the best defense I’ve seen from a Duke team since 2010.

Tre Jones was just outstanding. He continously bailed us out on offense. He’s not a great shooter by any means but that 12 foot pull up can be deadly.

And Javin just killed the defensive boards. I felt like I was watching a different player.

ChrisP
Huge, huge rebounding by Javin in the 2nd half. He didn't play well against UNC, but otherwise, had a really good ACC tourney (which is what you want from your veterans). Obviously, Zion was crazy good (again) and what a game by Tre! Cam didn't shoot well from the field but made all his FT's and played great D and under control on offense.

Congrats to the 2019 ACC champs!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Banner!

Sluggo
03-16-2019, 10:45 PM
"Killers Kill"...…...ZW

chrishoke
03-16-2019, 10:45 PM
How sweet it is!

CoachJ10
03-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Kids love playing with each other. It is easy to see and great to experience.

6 wins...we can do this.

(ps, love how rj and zion were going to maker sure jordan got that last turnover...😀)

kaufmjo
Really great team effort. Nice to see Cam finally hit a shot to seal the win. Now let’s get Marques back and Jack White needs to get some momentum and we will go deep

terrih
You can see post game on court action if you go to Theacc.com. If you can't find it, go to championships, m-basketball. They just went to commercial, but said they will be back.

robed deity
Where did Javin get those hands?!

BLPOG
Some live video from WRAL of the team celebrating: link (https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-celebrates-acc-tournament-title/18265379/)

DavidBenAkiva
03-16-2019, 10:47 PM
What a beautiful thing, to see this team accomplish this feat after a sour ending to the regular season. It never gets old to win the ACC Tournament. It's the best and most important conference tournament in the land and Duke has won it more than any school. 21 Titles!!!

snewman92
. . .what we saw tonight was better team play. Ball movement on O; better communication on D. I think Tre, with Zion in for a third straight game, was able to see things as he did when were in a groove earlier in the season. And a great aggressiveness on offense tonight, too. "Killers kill."

kako
5 thoughts:

1. Congrats to the Devils! ACC Champs means so much! Whether they are the overall number 1 seed or not, they should be #1 close to home.

2. Jones was awesome today, and he'll be my MOTM. He should continue and be that consistent 3rd scorer that this team sorely needs.

3. Reddish's 3 at the end was the dagger. His game is so unpredictable. Today it was off, but that 3 iced it.

4. JGold played well again today. He's found his role. The bad news is the big goose egg that the bench laid as far as points, but a win's a win.

5. Congrats to Coach K on this championship, tying now for the most conference championships for a coach ever.

Can't wait until next week. If Bolden is back, the only team that will beat Duke is themselves.

9F

ChrisP
Oh, and this just in - Ted Valentine still sucks! That "charge" he called on Zion was not even close.

Anyway, Go Duke!!!

Bluedog
"Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on with all of these offensive charge calls that have suddenly become so abundant? Is this an anti-Duke thing or are they calling them like this against all teams? I’ve never seen anything like it. For years and years the benefit of the doubt has gone to the offensive player. Now, suddenly they are giving the defensive player call after call, and often on obvious flops. These guys act like they’ve been hit by a cannonball the way they throw themselves backwards. The refs are calling it as if the offensive player can’t even touch the defender when driving to the basket, like they can’t make any contact whatsoever. I’m just completely stupefied by this."-Steven43 from in game thread

I agree. The only explanation I can come up with is that extending your arm to push away the defender is a point of emphasis for officials this year. But TV Teddy was truly awful at the end. In any event, still won and it feels great!!! Yes!

BlueandWhite
03-16-2019, 10:48 PM
The last 3 halves have been some of the best defense I’ve seen from a Duke team since 2010.

Tre Jones was just outstanding. He continously bailed us out on offense. He’s not a great shooter by any means but that 12 foot pull up can be deadly.

And Javin just killed the defensive boards. I felt like I was watching a different player.

K clearly said something to the team at half, and the team responded. OUTSTANDING TEAM defense and a agreat TEAM win! ACC CHAMPIONS!

Good night & hello #1 seed in the East Region!

wavedukefan70s
03-16-2019, 10:48 PM
"Killers Kill"...…...ZW

That has to be on a new shirt....

CoachJ10
03-16-2019, 10:49 PM
For all the fans who love to rag on Tre and Cam...just remember, they will be the difference between us winning a natty or not. So how about supporting rather than nonstop critiquing?

DangerDevil
03-16-2019, 10:49 PM
You can see post game on court action if you go to Theacc.com. If you can't find it, go to championships, m-basketball. They just went to commercial, but said they will be back.

The Raycom feed hasn’t cut away yet either.

dukelifer
03-16-2019, 10:50 PM
One championship down. Tre was fantastic. That is what a pt guard needs to do. To win this with just 2 threes made is amazing. This team fights. Big props to Javin- 7 rebounds- many in traffic. Cam was Cam- struggles for a long stretch and then makes a couple big plays down the stretch. You never know what you will get. Zion and RJ played like veterans. RJ almost with a double double. No depth tonight- K true to form. He knows his guys.

BlueandWhite
03-16-2019, 10:50 PM
For all the fans who love to rag on Tre and Cam...just remember, they will be the difference between us winning a natty or not. So how about supporting rather than nonstop critiquing?

Thank you for this comment, 100% agree! GO DUKE!!!

CDu
03-16-2019, 10:51 PM
What a beautiful thing, to see this team accomplish this feat after a sour ending to the regular season. It never gets old to win the ACC Tournament. It's the best and most important conference tournament in the land and Duke has won it more than any school. 21 Titles!!!

See, now aren’t you glad Coach K decided to stick with his regulars rather than resting them tonight? 😁

gocanes0506
03-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Hahaha. Someone yelled ‘one more year’ at the end of Zion’s speech.

bullettoothtony
03-16-2019, 10:52 PM
So, so happy for these guys. Such deserving champions.

And for us spoiled fans, well, it continues...

simplyluvin
03-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Phenomenal interior defense. They shot 28% for 2pt field goals. Tre was the MVP tonight. His timely buckets kept our lead and stifled any momentum swing. Rebounding today was also solid, and we hit our free throws. Go Duke!!! ACC champs!

TruBlu
03-16-2019, 10:53 PM
The Raycom feed hasn’t cut away yet either.

Yes, but they are mainly saying their Raycom goodbyes, and patting themselves on the back.

weezie
03-16-2019, 10:54 PM
So, so happy for these guys. Such deserving champions.

And for us spoiled fans, well, it continues...

I feel so lucky! Thank you all for putting up with my lunacy.

heyman25
03-16-2019, 10:54 PM
"Killers Kill"...…...ZW

Lets go 6 and 0 Raise the banner in Minneapolis!

dukebluesincebirth
03-16-2019, 10:55 PM
Hell YES!!!!!! 2019 ACC Champions!!!! Let’s go get the natty!!!!

fisheyes
03-16-2019, 10:56 PM
lets go 6 and 0 raise the banner in minneapolis!

yes!!! We are going to an -apolis!!!

UrinalCake
Let’s give FSU some credit too. Even though they are a deeper team, they were also playing on their fourth straight night including an overtime game. They’re going to be dangerous in the tourney. They had several opportunities to make things interesting late but missed some shots (aided by great defense and rebounding in our part).

arnie
Yes, but they are mainly saying their Raycom goodbyes, and patting themselves on the back.

Unbelievable arrogance by Raycom personalities. Completely obliterated the celebration. Embassesment for the a..holes at Raycom

duke4ever19
03-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Can't wait to hear the guys recap the tournament.

CDu
03-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Let’s give FSU some credit too. Even though they are a deeper team, they were also playing on their fourth straight night including an overtime game. They’re going to be dangerous in the tourney. They had several opportunities to make things interesting late but missed some shots (aided by great defense and rebounding in our part).

Their third-straight night, but otherwise I agree.

oldbailey
03-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Hooray Devils! Great day. I am worried about Jack’s hamstring though. He didn’t look happy when he came off the court and went down to the trainer.

TruBlu
03-16-2019, 10:59 PM
Oh, and this just in - Ted Valentine still sucks! That "charge" he called on Zion was not even close.

Anyway, Go Duke!!!

Ted Valentine not only should be fired as a ref, he should be banned from even watching/attending a college basketball game.

But moving along to more important things,

ACC CHAMPS! WAY TO GO GUYS!

Hartford Dukie
03-16-2019, 10:59 PM
I was as anxious as many to get Z back, but looking back it was the right move. Showed the world he was looking for out for Z – wasn‘t going to rush him back even if the team was struggling and had apparently dropped to a #2 seed.

And we end up in the same place as if we had brought him back and won a game or two more – number one overall seed and in the East. Hats off – I needed to chill.

DU82
03-16-2019, 11:00 PM
Unbelievable arrogance by Raycom personalities. Completely obliterated the celebration. Embassesment for the a..holes at Raycom

Give them a break. Without them,and CD Chesley, a lot of what you take for granted might not have happened. They gave a lot to the ACC, and the ACC and ESPN’s greed has taken it away.

And ESPN dropped coverage a lot sooner.

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 11:00 PM
One word" Sweet"
"How SWEET it IS!"

FIFY

freshmanjs
03-16-2019, 11:01 PM
Is Jack hurt? Trainer was working on him for awhile late in the game. Looked like it might have been right wrist. Then he left the bench for awhile. Came back, but stayed on the end of the bench. Hope he is ok for Friday!

wavedukefan70s
Give them a break. Without them,and CD Chesley, a lot of what you take for granted might not have happened. They gave a lot to the ACC, and the ACC and ESPN’s greed has taken it away.

Very true

dukelifer

Raycom was all there was back in the day. I was fine with it.

CDu
03-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Is Jack hurt? Trainer was working on him for awhile late in the game. Looked like it might have been right wrist. Then he left the bench for awhile. Came back, but stayed on the end of the bench. Hope he is ok for Friday!

He was grabbing his left hamstring.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2019, 11:02 PM
They didn’t even show them holding up the trophy. And showed only Vrankovic cutting a piece of the net. I do like some of those broadcasters but c’mon man we don’t really give a crap about everyone’s teary eyes goodbyes. Just let me see the champs!!!

Saratoga2
03-16-2019, 11:04 PM
5 thoughts:

1. Congrats to the Devils! ACC Champs means so much! Whether they are the overall number 1 seed or not, they should be #1 close to home.

2. Jones was awesome today, and he'll be my MOTM. He should continue and be that consistent 3rd scorer that this team sorely needs.

3. Reddish's 3 at the end was the dagger. His game is so unpredictable. Today it was off, but that 3 iced it.

4. JGold played well again today. He's found his role. The bad news is the big goose egg that the bench laid as far as points, but a win's a win.

5. Congrats to Coach K on this championship, tying now for the most conference championships for a coach ever.

Can't wait until next week. If Bolden is back, the only team that will beat Duke is themselves.

9F

Great win against a deep team of large athletic, and experienced players and a solid coach.

We were a little loose with the ball to start but our defensive pressure was unrelenting causing turnovers and runouts for fast breaks. Coach K knows his players and had a game plan of letting our talent carry the day.

It is worth calling out the great work by our individual players tonight, since many had outstanding games.

1. Zion had his usual incredible offensive and defensive game

2. Tre had what I think is his best game ever in a Duke uniform. Having him as the main ball handler gives us our best chance. He was a very effective scorer and distributor tonnight with his usual on ball defensive pressure. Love what he accomplished.

3. RJ had an excellent game finishing on plays where he was heavily guarded. His defense was also solid tonight.

4. Javin played with great energy and determination and rebounded very well against some really big and aggressive front court players.

5. Cam made his free throws and hit a key dagger 3 late in the game. It had to feel good for him to make a nice contribution. His defense is always good.

6. Jack white game some good minutes and made an excellent block that turned into a 4 point turnaround.

7. Jordan can be counted on to apply energetic defense and he is good with the ball.

Now we need to get Bolden feeling good. Be nice to have him for the weekend. Great win and wonderful thoughts expressed by the guys who love Duke and talk of the brotherhood. Any potential recruit should listed closely as Duke does well by its players.

proelitedota
03-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Great game. Now on to the games that matter the most. :eek:

wsb3
03-16-2019, 11:07 PM
We are a passionate fan base & I can complain with the best of them.. But at this moment being a fan back to the days of Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, etc. the word that comes to mind for me is humbled. Remembering some of the Bubas championships, the 2 with Foster & the 15 with Coach K, the first one in 86. Wow..

Congrats to the 2019 ACC Champs.

Bluedog
03-16-2019, 11:08 PM

He looks okay in post game celebration. He got on the ladder and cut the net at least and is walking around with everybody.

Kfanarmy
03-16-2019, 11:11 PM

Fourth game? They were the 4 seed weren't they?

weezie
03-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Arms crossed, foot tapping....MOTM poll?!

arnie
03-16-2019, 11:13 PM
They didn’t even show them holding up the trophy. And showed only Vrankovic cutting a piece of the net. I do like some of those broadcasters but c’mon man we don’t really give a crap about everyone’s teary eyes goodbyes. Just let me see the champs!!!

Thank you. I’ve always believed a reporter, announcer, journalist should cover the story and that person should not be the story. The Raycom team became Jay Bilas clones.

Tjenkins
03-16-2019, 11:13 PM
Great effort by this team, fantastic coaching! It would've been easy for a letdown to happen after last night's classic thriller. Many coaches would've let that happen. And that's just one of many things that separates him from the rest of the other great coaches.

Celebrate this tournament championship, thanks to everyone on this board for making one of the greatest ACC Tournaments even more enjoyable!

kcduke75
03-16-2019, 11:14 PM

When White went to the bench, the camera zoomed in to see him appearing to be taking inventory on his man parts.

OUCH on TV?

Assume he'll be okay

Saratoga2
03-16-2019, 11:15 PM

It looked like his right thigh was cramping up. I hope that is all.

JayZee
Great win against a deep team of large athletic, and experienced players and a solid coach.

We were a little loose with the ball to start but our defensive pressure was unrelenting causing turnovers and runouts for fast breaks. Coach K knows his players and had a game plan of letting our talent carry the day.

It is worth calling out the great work by our individual players tonight, since many had outstanding games.

1. Zion had his usual incredible offensive and defensive game

2. Tre had what I think is his best game ever in a Duke uniform. Having him as the main ball handler gives us our best chance. He was a very effective scorer and distributor tonnight with his usual on ball defensive pressure. Love what he accomplished.

3. RJ had an excellent game finishing on plays where he was heavily guarded. His defense was also solid tonight.

4. Javin played with great energy and determination and rebounded very well against some really big and aggressive front court players.

5. Cam made his free throws and hit a key dagger 3 late in the game. It had to feel good for him to make a nice contribution. His defense is always good.

6. Jack white game some good minutes and made an excellent block that turned into a 4 point turnaround.

7. Jordan can be counted on to apply energetic defense and he is good with the ball.

Now we need to get Bolden feeling good. Be nice to have him for the weekend. Great win and wonderful thoughts expressed by the guys who love Duke and talk of the brotherhood. Any potential recruit should listed closely as Duke does well by its players.

Loved how K used RJ to bring the ball up for the second half to save Tre’s energy. FSU was really trying to wear him down.

On that note, does RJ ever get tired? He’s like Duhon or Johnny D. Just incredible.

TNTDevil
"Does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on with all of these offensive charge calls that have suddenly become so abundant? Is this an anti-Duke thing or are they calling them like this against all teams? I’ve never seen anything like it. For years and years the benefit of the doubt has gone to the offensive player. Now, suddenly they are giving the defensive player call after call, and often on obvious flops. These guys act like they’ve been hit by a cannonball the way they throw themselves backwards. The refs are calling it as if the offensive player can’t even touch the defender when driving to the basket, like they can’t make any contact whatsoever. I’m just completely stupefied by this."-Steven43 from in game thread

I agree. The only explanation I can come up with is that extending your arm to push away the defender is a point of emphasis for officials this year. But TV Teddy was truly awful at the end. In any event, still won and it feels great!!! Yes!As I've said in other threads, the rule change on the charge/block, has taken that call to an entire different level of subjective. "Legal guarding position". Charge. Drop shoulder (according to other well-respected DBR posters) in an easy charge (I'm not disagreeing). But tonight just showed the fluke of the new rule definition. At the 13:00 Kabengele* clearly lowers his shoulder into JDL and...it's a block. Later, the Zion "charge". On that call, apparently "legal guarding position" meant to be "near" the player with the ball.

And don't get me wanker-word started on all the fouls Zion is forced to absorb with no consideration from the officials.

*This is but a single example. There are others.

terrih
03-16-2019, 11:16 PM
He was grabbing his left hamstring.

Yep, he left later in 2nd half and didn't return. When he left, was grabbing his hamstring. Hope it is minor issue.

azzefkram
Great win. Tre was masterful on both sides of the ball. Zion was Zion. That pass to Tre was amazing. RJ was solid. As dreadful as Javin was against unc, he was equally awesome tonight. FSU's bigs are no joke and Javin did great against them. I thought it was big for Cam to hit that late 3. Positive minutes from J and J. I hope Jack didn't tweak a hammy. Those things can linger.

Duke played some excellent defense, especially in the second half.

Devilwin
Sweet. Congrats to the team. And more than any other recent win, it was a team win. Javin's work on the boards was spectacular. Cam hit free throws and hit the shot that erased any hope FSU had of a comeback. Zion was a beast again, RJ made some timely plays. Tre had an awesome game. We need to keep it going and win the Natty!

fisheyes
03-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Listening to the early post game presser...

Zion passed Phil Ford for most points for a freshman in the ACC Tourney and passed Art Heyman for most point by a Duke player in a 3 game series.

Incredible.

Billy Dat
03-16-2019, 11:17 PM
ACC Tourney Champs!!!!!!! It’s always sweet. Nice to get another so soon after our last one in 2017.

Very proud of these guys.

Someone tweeted the idea that Zion got hurt just when most frosh hit a mental wall and he kind of avoided it as a result. His return has been like a shot of Wakanda vibranium for the whole squad.

Tre was back to being early season killer Tre Pebbles. I am almost tempted to upgrade Pebbles to Stones but I want to give him something to keep shooting for, like when K called 2010 a good team with great character until he finally called them GREAT after the Butler win.

Enjoy it everyone. Let’s get our seed and region and keep this party going.

wavedukefan70s
03-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Trey looked great in his decision making.

Just a fyi Acc championship gear is already selling at several sights.

Onlyduke
Anybody got a link to the presser?

Lurkingdukedog

Yes - they were 4th seed. They only played 3 games as well

UrinalCake

Yep, sorry I had a brain fart and confused them with VT in the seedings. Still, we beat a really good team.

CDu
We just held a top-35 offense to 63 points on ~70 possessions. Without our starting center. With a short rotation playing their third day in a row. That is REALLY impressive.

Defensive rebounding was relatively strong considering the opponent. As was the on-ball pressure from Jones.

So proud of the team for fighting back from large first half deficits twice against top opponents to win.

Zion is amazing.

Jones played like Stones in the second half. DeLaurier played really well too. The rest strung together enough to help us cross the finish line.

Winning the tourney is always such a satisfying feeling. Now let’s go win our weekend next week!

Saratoga2
03-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Ted Valentine not only should be fired as a ref, he should be banned from even watching/attending a college basketball game.

But moving along to more important things,

ACC CHAMPS! WAY TO GO GUYS!

I noticed two calls on Zion that were real head scrathers. He got called on a rebound where the only player near him was a fellow Duke player. Then the charge call was not one where he lowered his shoulder. There was a little bumping between players but that didn't look like the definition of a charge.

weezie
03-16-2019, 11:21 PM
Loved how K used RJ to bring the ball up for the second half to save Tre’s energy. FSU was really trying to wear him down.

On that note, does RJ ever get tired? He’s like Duhon or Johnny D. Just incredible.

Oh yeah, that was terrific. Saw into the future there...

Still haven't found any post game press conferences despite the links in chat, sorry

Coballs
03-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Remember when this Duke team was being compared to the Fab Five? Well unlike the Fab Five, we've got a banner...and we're getting more.

fisheyes
03-16-2019, 11:22 PM

Not on yet...but this is what I am listening to...

http://theacc.com/sports/2019/3/11/mens-basketball-tournament-press-conferences.aspx

Lurkingdukedog
03-16-2019, 11:23 PM
And don't get me wanker-word started on all the fouls Zion is forced to absorb with no consideration from the officials.

I could not agree more. Nearly all of Zion's finishes on replay show him getting hacked - sometimes by more than one defender. He rarely gets the "and one". RJ gets beat up, too

DU82
03-16-2019, 11:23 PM
Remember when this Duke team was being compared to the Fab Five? Well unlike the Fab Five, we've got a banner...and we're getting one more.

Two more. Regional Champion is worth a banner as well. (Actually, I’d expect one more, as we’re certain to be number 1 in the final AP poll.)

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 11:25 PM
Great game. Now on to the games that matter the most. :eek:
Nonsense. The rest of the season is icing on the cake. I want to win a Natty but, I ain't greedy.

Beating UNC, and then winning our twenty-first ACCT Championship. I live a fulfilled life right now. I can freely roam the streets of the Triangle without fear of encountering UNC gear.

I'll worry about the tourney next week but, all I need out of that is one more round than the Cheats. Given their talent, that may mean we have to go to FF.

Peace.

kcduke75
03-16-2019, 11:25 PM
did they announce the all-tourney team?

Or just Zion as MVP?

Coballs
03-16-2019, 11:26 PM
Two more. Regional Champion is worth a banner as well. (Actually, I’d expect one more, as we’re certain to be number 1 in the final AP poll.)

Original post corrected

sagegrouse
03-16-2019, 11:30 PM

Anyway, Go Duke!!!

TV Teddy has one grandchild -- a grandaughter -- for whom he likes to strut around. He had gotten very few TV shots tonight, so he decided to light up the best player in college hoops to make sure he was on camera. Of course, the game was still in doubt... but no matter.

Billy Dat
03-16-2019, 11:30 PM
did they announce the all-tourney team?

Or just Zion as MVP?

All-Tournament teams, First Team: #ACCTourney

Zion Williamson @DukeMBB
RJ Barrett @DukeMBB
Mfiondu Kabengele @FSUHoops
Cam Johnson @UNC_Basketball
Kyle Guy @UVAMensHoops

Second Team: #ACCTourney

Tre Jones @DukeMBB
Terance Mann @FSUHoops
Luke Maye @UNC_Basketball
Coby White @UNC_Basketball
Frank Howard @Cuse_MBB

brevity
03-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Live right now. https://www.wral.com/wral-noon-news/1082826/

Edit: never mind. They cut away from it and ended the live late news broadcast.

I'll keep looking. Here's Duke cutting the nets: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-celebrates-acc-tournament-title/18265379/

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 11:32 PM
Listening to the early post game presser...

Zion passed Phil Ford for most points for a freshman in the ACC Tourney and passed Art Heyman for most point by a Duke player in a 3 game series.

Incredible.Spot on. What a better transition speaking to our evolving society. The great Art Heyman replaced by Zion Williamson. (What would his stats look like after two, three more years?)

Bonus: Zion is as much of gentleman has Mr. Heyman.

terrih
03-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Presser on now at theacc.com.

TKG
03-16-2019, 11:38 PM
That pass.......

ChrisP
Thank you. I’ve always believed a reporter, announcer, journalist should cover the story and that person should not be the story. The Raycom team became Jay Bilas clones.

Having literally grown up watching ACC basketball in NC via Raycom (and, prior to that Jefferson-Pilot Sports), I had ZERO problem with it. I actually thought it was very classy and cool too, that they gave some props to all the behind the scenes folks. They have covered ACC hoops for 37 of my 52 years and I'll miss them. Truly and end of an era - and, aside from Billy Packer - a GREAT era with great guys like Brando, G-man, Brad Nessler, and going way back, Mr. Thacker. Thank you, Raycom for tons of great ACC memories.

TNTDevil
The game was over when Walker missed the front-end of the 1-n-1 at the 3:41 mark. (Got the jinx from Dan Shulman.)

brevity
03-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Live right now. https://www.wral.com/wral-noon-news/1082826/

Edit: never mind. They cut away from it and ended the live late news broadcast.

I'll keep looking. Here's Duke cutting the nets: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-celebrates-acc-tournament-title/18265379/

Presser on now at theacc.com.

Coach K alone at the table. http://www.theacc.com/watch/?id=163920

ncexnyc
03-16-2019, 11:43 PM
That was a total team win.

Solid contributions from everyone. Zion and RJ did their thing, while Cam played under control, hit his free throws and that back breaking bomb at the end. Tre sure picked a great game to go all Tyus, but I've got to give a huge shout out to Javin. The kid bounced back from a horrible game yesterday and did so against a very imposing frontline. Jack had a rough night courtesy of the officials and I hope his hammy is ok. Jordan also did his thing and every minute we get from him helps a starter get some rest.

Let's move on and hopefully we get to see what Mr. Bolden can add to the storyline next weekend.

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 11:44 PM
Having literally grown up watching ACC basketball in NC via Raycom (and, prior to that Jefferson-Pilot Sports), I had ZERO problem with it. I actually thought it was very classy and cool too, that they gave some props to all the behind the scenes folks. They have covered ACC hoops for 37 of my 52 years and I'll miss them. Truly and end of an era - and, aside from Billy Packer - a GREAT era with great guys like Brando, G-man, Brad Nessler, and going way back, Mr. Thacker. Thank you, Raycom for tons of great ACC memories.Word-up yo. End of an era.

Now, The Great Satan, owns the ACC's soul. Lawd he'p us.

53n206
03-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Great win! Wonderful defense! FSU played a really good game, and made us work hard. Terrible 3 point shooting; horrendous officiating especially on tha ridiculous charges called on us. The hacking that went uncalled should be looked upon by the conference. Game made me feel better about chances for tournament, but made me feel sadder about losing Zion.

JayZee
03-16-2019, 11:47 PM

Solid contributions from everyone. Zion and RJ did their thing, while Cam played under control, hit his free throws and that back breaking bomb at the end. Tre sure picked a great game to go all Tyus, but I've got to give a huge shout out to Javin. The kid bounced back from a horrible game yesterday and did so against a very imposing frontline. Jack had a rough night courtesy of the officials and I hope his hammy is ok. Jordan also did his thing and every minute we get from him helps a starter get some rest.

Let's move on and hopefully we get to see what Mr. Bolden can add to the storyline next weekend.

Jack looked like a Sam Malone special - g g g groin injury. At least on the bench. Didn’t notice when it happened. Hope it’s fine.

camion
03-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Before I go back and read all of this thread I want to congratulate the team on a great game. I’m amazed at the energy they were able to muster for the third night in a row. That was the key in my mind.

Oh my!!! Zion’s assist to Tre was amazing. Yes, I remember a similar pass to RJ earlier this season, but power forwards just don’t do that. :)

hallcity
03-17-2019, 12:14 AM
Jack looked like a Sam Malone special - g g g groin injury. At least on the bench. Didn’t notice when it happened. Hope it’s fine.

Did this question come up in the post game presser? We may need Jack.

-jk
03-17-2019, 12:17 AM
All-Tournament teams, First Team: #ACCTourney

Zion Williamson @DukeMBB
RJ Barrett @DukeMBB
Mfiondu Kabengele @FSUHoops
Cam Johnson @UNC_Basketball
Kyle Guy @UVAMensHoops

Second Team: #ACCTourney

Tre Jones @DukeMBB
Terance Mann @FSUHoops
Luke Maye @UNC_Basketball
Coby White @UNC_Basketball
Frank Howard @Cuse_MBB

Jay’s happy - unc got as many as UVa and FSU combined! :)

-jk

TNTDevil
03-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Why does Cam Reddish hate FSU so much?

Twice with the a game-sealing Three.

Just, like, OUCH.

Utley
03-17-2019, 12:27 AM
Just so friggin happy. Live this team. Great D once again the key. Cam played within himself. Tre was incredible
On both ends and Javin played as good as he can play. Zion and RJ were just Zion and RJ but that is beyond special.

The ride of a lifetime -
Going to enjoy it every single moment I can. So happy for the team!!!!!!!

alteran
03-17-2019, 12:28 AM

Now that’s too much.

Raycom didn’t toot their horn for 94 feet during live game action.

Granted, this is a contest no one should be in, but this is where we are these days.

moonpie23
03-17-2019, 12:29 AM
the camaraderie on this team, even with Z being transcendent, is str8 up 2010......

uh_no
03-17-2019, 12:33 AM
Now that’s too much.

Raycom didn’t toot their horn for 94 feet during live game action.

Granted, this is a contest no one should be in, but this is where we are these days.

right. they tooted their sponsors' horns instead.

Kedsy
03-17-2019, 12:41 AM
ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 69.3 (a little slow, but that's ok in your third game in three nights)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.05 (adjusted, that's 1.20, which is pretty good)
eFG%: 50.9% (not so good but not awful)
3pt%: 14.3% (pretty awful)
2pt%: 61.0% (pretty good)
%threes: 25.5% (if you're going to shoot dreadfully, don't shoot so many, I always say; so this number is good)
FT rate: 38.2% (good)
OR%: 32.3% (not great)
TO%: 18.8% (room to improve, but this is acceptable, especially considering the percentage would have been 17.3% if not for the intentional shot clock violation at the end)
a/to: 0.85:1
%assisted: 48.1%
fast break pts: 15 (20.5% of our points; if we can keep this number above 20% for the rest of the post-season, it would be nice)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.91 (adjusted that's 0.83, our 4th sub-0.90 defensive performance in our last six games; this would have been sub-0.80 if FSU hadn't made that meaningless three at the buzzer)
eFG%: 38.1% (really, really good)
3pt%: 40.0% (too high, but what can you do when a 6'10" guy nails three out of five and someone tosses one in for no reason at the buzzer?)
2pt%: 27.9% (this is an OMG number; and is also our best 2pt defense of the season)
%threes: 31.7% (considering how well they were shooting, nice to run them off the line, at least a little)
FT rate: 25.4% (decent)
DR%: 70.7% (good, against a very tall team)
TO%: 17.3% (not bad)
a/to: 0.66:1
%assisted: 40.0%
fast break pts: 8 (12.7% of their points; this is acceptable)
block%: 9.5%; 14.0% of 2-point shots (once again we showed that even without Marques, this team can block shots)
steal%: 11.5% (good, not great)

I think this was great defense and good offense. Would have been great offense if we could have brought our three-point percentage up from dreadful to merely bad. In any event, it's an ACC championship, so any combination that gives us more points than our opponents is fine by me.

uh_no
03-17-2019, 12:44 AM
ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 69.3 (a little slow, but that's ok in your third game in three nights)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.05 (adjusted, that's 1.20, which is pretty good)
eFG%: 50.9% (not so good but not awful)
3pt%: 14.3% (pretty awful)
2pt%: 61.0% (pretty good)
%threes: 25.5% (if you're going to shoot dreadfully, don't shoot so many, I always say; so this number is good)
FT rate: 38.2% (good)
OR%: 32.3% (not great)
TO%: 18.8% (room to improve, but this is acceptable, especially considering the percentage would have been 17.3% if not for the intentional shot clock violation at the end)
a/to: 0.85:1
%assisted: 48.1%
fast break pts: 15 (20.5% of our points; if we can keep this number above 20% for the rest of the post-season, it would be nice)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.91 (adjusted that's 0.83, our 4th sub-0.90 defensive performance in our last six games; this would have been sub-0.80 if FSU hadn't made that meaningless three at the buzzer)
eFG%: 38.1% (really, really good)
3pt%: 40.0% (too high, but what can you do when a 6'10" guy nails three out of five and someone tosses one in for no reason at the buzzer?)
2pt%: 27.9% (this is an OMG number; and is also our best 2pt defense of the season)
%threes: 31.7% (considering how well they were shooting, nice to run them off the line, at least a little)
FT rate: 25.4% (decent)
DR%: 70.7% (good, against a very tall team)
TO%: 17.3% (not bad)
a/to: 0.66:1
%assisted: 40.0%
fast break pts: 8 (12.7% of their points; this is acceptable)
block%: 9.5%; 14.0% of 2-point shots (once again we showed that even without Marques, this team can block shots)
steal%: 11.5% (good, not great)

I think this was great defense and good offense. Would have been great offense if we could have brought our three-point percentage up from dreadful to merely bad. In any event, it's an ACC championship, so any combination that gives us more points than our opponents is fine by me.

note that if you similarly discount our thrown away last possession, the oRtng bumps up about 1.5.

Steven43
03-17-2019, 12:46 AM
Really great team effort. Nice to see Cam finally hit a shot to seal the win. Now let’s get Marques back and Jack White needs to get some momentum and we will go deep

I’m not convinced we’re better with Bolden, at least not as a starter. Nothing against Marques at all. Just not sure he is an upgrade over Javin as far as his fit with these particular players and style of offense and defense.

Like you, I am still perplexed as to what happened to Jack White on offense. At a certain point in the season he was looking like a reliable double-digit scorer and 3-point threat. Now? Not even close on either count. It continues to be this team’s biggest mystery.

J4Kop99
03-17-2019, 12:53 AM
That should lock up the overall #1.

This was a balanced team effort tonight. Very happy to see Tre and Cam make some big plays down the stretch. In fact, Tre was money all night.

ACC Tournament champions and we're not done yet! Hopefully MB will be ready come next thurs/fri

Kedsy
03-17-2019, 12:54 AM
As dreadful as Javin was against unc, he was equally awesome tonight.

I'm happy people are giving Javin some (in my opinion well-deserved) praise for his performance tonight, but I'm puzzled when they say stuff like the above quoted line (which a lot of people did, not singling out azzefkram). Below are Javin's stats for the two games in question:

vs. FSU: 23 minutes; 6 points on 2 for 4 shooting; 7 rebounds; 4 fouls; 1 assist; 1 turnover; 1 block; 2 steals

vs. UNC: 15 minutes; 5 points on 2 for 5 shooting; 6 rebounds; 4 fouls; 1 assist; 0 turnovers; 1 block; 0 steals

OK, he had more fouls per minute against UNC, but also more rebounds per minute and points per minute (and blocks per minute and assists per minute). He had no steals against UNC, but also no turnovers. Overall, I'd say these two lines are pretty close, and I didn't think his defense against UNC was appreciably worse than it was against FSU. So, like I say, I'm puzzled.

J4Kop99
03-17-2019, 12:59 AM
I'm happy people are giving Javin some (in my opinion well-deserved) praise for his performance tonight, but I'm puzzled when they say stuff like the above quoted line (which a lot of people did, not singling out azzefkram). Below are Javin's stats for the two games in question:

vs. FSU: 23 minutes; 6 points on 2 for 4 shooting; 7 rebounds; 4 fouls; 1 assist; 1 turnover; 1 block; 2 steals

vs. UNC: 15 minutes; 5 points on 2 for 5 shooting; 6 rebounds; 4 fouls; 1 assist; 0 turnovers; 1 block; 0 steals

OK, he had more fouls per minute against UNC, but also more rebounds per minute and points per minute (and blocks per minute and assists per minute). He had no steals against UNC, but also no turnovers. Overall, I'd say these two lines are pretty close, and I didn't think his defense against UNC was appreciably worse than it was against FSU. So, like I say, I'm puzzled.

I am not speaking for anyone else on here and I completely agree with your point and appreciate the context you provided... but I think it comes down to people with a selective memory. Certain people are only remembering the missed gimme lay-up Javin had late in the game last night against unc.

Otherwise, like you stated above, Javin had two extremely similar performances in back-to-back games.

Philsfan
03-17-2019, 01:08 AM
I was there and it was glorious! The 4th ACC title I’ve been able to see in person. Only in town for the final but the folks at the venue couldn’t have been friendlier. Light rail was also a breeze to use. Well done, Charlotte!

Now let’s get No. 6...one game at a time!

wavedukefan70s
03-17-2019, 01:10 AM
The game is replaying on espnu right now.

Wildling
03-17-2019, 01:13 AM
So thrilled to see Tre getting buckets and doing his usual lockdown defense. Getting offensive output out of Tre is paramount to the other guys getting open looks. He is key to our success along with the obvious RJ and Zion getting their usual 20 & 10...
Cam is making some shall I say, "questionable' decisions when he has the ball in his hands. But overall, it's tough to complain and nitpick when we just won the ACC Championship! That's nice to say! Let's go get the Natty now. I'm pumped! We're getting it together right at the right time gentlemen! This is going to a fun week!

Oh, I threw this together after I heard Zion in the post game interview :cool:

https://images2.imgbox.com/d3/c8/c3KKeVGt_o.png

InSpades
03-17-2019, 01:20 AM

Stat lines don't always tell the tale. We watch the games and we see the plays.

All rebounds are not created equally. A rebound w/ 3 opponents next to you is a lot different than a rebound w/ 3 teammates around you.

All shots are not created equally. A missed open layup is seen as very costly. A missed jump shot w/ the shot clock running down... not so costly.

I think Jav played better today than yesterday but he wasn't bad yesterday either. He missed a good scoring opportunity against UNC which a lot of people probably remember. He also had a lot of tough rebounds today.

Probably a little perception bias but there's also some bias in just looking at a stat sheet.

Chicken Little
03-17-2019, 01:31 AM

From my seats you could see the trainers stretching him out behind the bench. Looked like he pulled a hammy or even just had some cramping. No one looked terribly concerned and they never went back to the locker room as far as I saw.

Unless we hear otherwise, it looked really minor to my not-a-doctor eyes.

TNTDevil
03-17-2019, 02:10 AM
Stat lines don't always tell the tale. We watch the games and we see the plays.

All rebounds are not created equally. A rebound w/ 3 opponents next to you is a lot different than a rebound w/ 3 teammates around you.

All shots are not created equally. A missed open layup is seen as very costly. A missed jump shot w/ the shot clock running down... not so costly.

I think Jav played better today than yesterday but he wasn't bad yesterday either. He missed a good scoring opportunity against UNC which a lot of people probably remember. He also had a lot of tough rebounds today.

Probably a little perception bias but there's also some bias in just looking at a stat sheet.Nailed it!

Javin had an early (17:42) block, prior to that he'd tapped a rebound out to keep possession. Then (16:25) he denies Koumadje on a lob dunk. At that point, the lob was no longer a viable reliable option for FSU.

I hate it but, I'm becoming a JDL Fan Boi. I'm thinking Amile Jefferson v1.2. (I broke bread with AJ at a tailgate, probably an illegal benefit, he was such a sweet soul.)

Skydog
03-17-2019, 02:11 AM
I would like to note that in addition to the crucial 3 pointer, Cam was 6-6 from the line, and in 37 minutes of play against a tough FS team he had ZERO turnovers. That was a huge improvement and he deserves a lot of credit for it.

DukeinDC
03-17-2019, 02:23 AM
I would like to note that in addition to the crucial 3 pointer, Cam was 6-6 from the line, and in 37 minutes of play against a tough FS team he had ZERO turnovers. That was a huge improvement and he deserves a lot of credit for it.

Exactly. I can live missed threes. They’re coached to keep shooting. The charges have been tough to watch. But if he can be a reliable free throw shooter - both drawing contact and in end game scenarios that is a HUGE plus for this team that makes up for whatever his flaws as a player may be.

Skydog
03-17-2019, 02:32 AM
Nailed it!

Javin had an early (17:42) block, prior to that he'd tapped a rebound out to keep possession. Then (16:25) he denies Koumadje on a lob dunk. At that point, the lob was no longer a viable reliable option for FSU.

I hate it but, I'm becoming a JDL Fan Boi. I'm thinking Amile Jefferson v1.2. (I broke bread with AJ at a tailgate, probably an illegal benefit, he was such a sweet soul.)

Tonight Javin was consistently strong with the ball against a very active physical team. He kept coming out of the scrums with the ball solidly in his possession, like he was Jack White or something. That was very big step up for him, imo. Massive props to Mr. DeLaurier.

Steven43
03-17-2019, 02:46 AM
Exactly. I can live missed threes. They’re coached to keep shooting. The charges have been tough to watch. But if Cam can be a reliable free throw shooter - both drawing contact and in end game scenarios that is a HUGE plus for this team that makes up for whatever his flaws as a player may be.
Okay, yeah, I can go with this. I’d be perfectly happy if every game Cam went 6-6 on free throws with 11 points, 4 rebounds, and zero turnovers in 37 min of action while also playing above average defense. Solid game today, Cam. Kudos.

TNTDevil
03-17-2019, 02:51 AM
I would like to note that in addition to the crucial 3 pointer, Cam was 6-6 from the line, and in 37 minutes of play against a tough FS team he had ZERO turnovers. That was a huge improvement and he deserves a lot of credit for it.And, four of those FTs where on blocks and not charges.

Wacky. Ammirite?

Dukehk
03-17-2019, 03:19 AM
When we get a third guy to help Zion and RJ we are a really really really good team.

If all four of our freshmen are on top of their game, then I really believe that we can beat any team in the country.

Zion is amazing and these guys just love playing for each other. Enjoy the ride everyone!

slower
03-17-2019, 06:29 AM
"Killers Kill"...…...ZW
Maybe not the BEST choice of words, from a public perception standpoint...but we know it didn't have any ominous overtones. Zion is (seemingly) refreshingly unrehearsed.

Rmarkste
03-17-2019, 06:57 AM
I was beyond excited after the Kentucky blow out to start the season and really want to think THIS team can cut down the nets in Minneapolis. Talent off the charts and they play for each other.

I keep waiting to check the boxes even with last night’s Championship win for the things that will make me feel we can win it all.

Three point shooting. Just shoot 30%! UNCHECKED BOX
Cam 1-5 and RJ 0-4. Team 2-14

Good Assist to Turnover (just so you know Tre Jones Assist to turnover second half of this year was twice, yes twice as bad as first half of the year). UNCHECKED BOX
Last night team had 11 Assists 13 Turnovers

Bench Scoring
Points last night for the bench ZERO. UNCHECKED BOX

These continue to disappoint me but here is why I feel we can still cut down the nets.

Because for the first time in a long time both Tre and Zion were outstanding, the best two players on the court, at the same time. Duke is at its most unstoppable when these two are asserting themselves on the offensive and defensive end. As long as they are both playing at the top of their game then nothing stops Duke, not RJ driving into three defensive players, not CAM charging or clanking, not White refusing to shoot, not bench not scoring, not us missing threes, etc, etc. By the way RJ is so important to this team because no one else will take shots or finish at the basket like he can. His will to win is very important to the team just not as important as Tre and Zion IMHO. Our defense will keep other teams three point shooting and assist to turnover worse than ours so I am OK with that.

I also feel there is Karma with this Duke season.
Last two trips to Minneapolis Final Four, Duke won it all.
Last four times Duke won a Championship they won the ACC tourney
Saban won his sixth title last year, Belichick his sixth title this year, why not Coach K winning his sixth title.

LET’S GO DUKE, LET’S GO DUKE

House G
03-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Maybe not the BEST choice of words, from a public perception standpoint...but we know it didn't have any ominous overtones. Zion is (seemingly) refreshingly unrehearsed.

Yeah, reminds me of the Washington Bullets :(

Saratoga2
03-17-2019, 07:33 AM
I was beyond excited after the Kentucky blow out to start the season and really want to think THIS team can cut down the nets in Minneapolis. Talent off the charts and they play for each other.

I keep waiting to check the boxes even with last night’s Championship win for the things that will make me feel we can win it all.

Three point shooting. Just shoot 30%! UNCHECKED BOX
Cam 1-5 and RJ 0-4. Team 2-14

Good Assist to Turnover (just so you know Tre Jones Assist to turnover second half of this year was twice, yes twice as bad as first half of the year). UNCHECKED BOX

Bench Scoring
Points last night for the bench ZERO. UNCHECKED BOX

These continue to disappoint me but here is why I feel we can still cut down the nets.

Because for the first time in a long time both Tre and Zion were outstanding, the best two players on the court, at the same time. Duke is at its most unstoppable when these two are asserting themselves on the offensive and defensive end. As long as they are both playing at the top of their game then nothing stops Duke, not RJ driving into three defensive players, not CAM charging or clanking, not White refusing to shoot, not bench not scoring, not us missing threes, etc, etc. By the way RJ is so important to this team because no one else will take shots or finish at the basket like he can. His will to win is very important to the team just not as important as Tre and Zion IMHO. Our defense will keep other teams three point shooting and assist to turnover worse than ours so I am OK with that.

I also feel there is Karma with this Duke season.
Last two trips to Minneapolis Final Four, Duke won it all.
Last four times Duke won a Championship they won the ACC tourney
Saban won his sixth title last year, Belichick his sixth title this year, why not Coach K winning his sixth title.

LET’S GO DUKE, LET’S GO DUKE

Yes we can win it all with the talented guys we have. You do however point out a couple of serious flaws. Our 3 point shooting is dreadful and against a hot 3 point shooting team that flaw could make it difficult to score enough.

Bench scoring is minimal to non-existent. An injury, sickness or foul issue to any of our main scorers could also be a problem.

On the other hand, the return of Marques can give us two reliable inside players, which makes our inside presence less risky.

Neals384
03-17-2019, 07:35 AM
Yeah, reminds me of the Washington Bullets :(

or, Baltimore Bullets, if you are old enough. Team was named t honor the historic shot tower in Baltimore.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Shot_Tower

arnie
03-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Yes we can win it all with the talented guys we have. You do however point out a couple of serious flaws. Our 3 point shooting is dreadful and against a hot 3 point shooting team that flaw could make it difficult to score enough.

Bench scoring is minimal to non-existent. An injury, sickness or foul issue to any of our main scorers could also be a problem.

On the other hand, the return of Marques can give us two reliable inside players, which makes our inside presence less risky.

The other positive turnaround from earlier this season is FT shooting. Particularly Tre Jones has improved and I think near 80%. In late game situations he should have the ball. Also noticed K replaced Javin with Jack in last minute or so as Jack is also strong with FTs.

Doubt 3-pt shooting % will change much.

weezie
03-17-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure how I could be any less interested in anything Dan Dakich of the Satan Network ever says about anything. Arrest him for stealing his salary. His contract should require him to wear a Captain Obvious uniform at all times.
Twaddle about how vulnerable we are at "shooting the basketball"? Really Danny Boy? How is it that we get so many shots?

It's a head scratcher for our Dan.

devilnfla
03-17-2019, 08:17 AM
If all four of our freshmen are on top of their game, then I really believe that we can beat any team in the country.

Kind of like the 1st game of the year against UK. Need to play like that for 6 more games.

roywhite
03-17-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure how I could be any less interested in anything Dan Dakich of the Satan Network ever says about anything. Arrest him for stealing his salary. His contract should require him to wear a Captain Obvious uniform at all times.
Twaddle about how vulnerable we are at "shooting the basketball"? Really Danny Boy? How is it that we get so many shots?

It's a head scratcher for our Dan.

Good stuff, weezie! Absolutely can't stand Dakich; he is an incredible motor mouth who feels the need to give his opinion constantly rather than analyze the game action. Automatic channel change or mute if I get to a Dakich covered game.

azzefkram
03-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Because I watched the game. Javin was routinely out of position against UNC. Pretty much all his fouls vs unc were of the bad variety. Against FSU, only the attempted block of a Kabangele dunk and the moving screen on the Cam handoff seemed egregiously bad. Also, I'm a bit surprised Javin only played 23 minutes vs FSU. It seemed like he was out there the entire second half.

ChillinDuke
03-17-2019, 09:44 AM
How sweet it is!!! Winning the ACCT never gets old. I was jumping around my living room after the Cam 3.

We played a fantastic game last night. And while Zion was excellent (again), Tre played his best game in a Duke uniform. That was truly sensational and was a performance on both sides of the ball surpassing his Texas Tech game.

Tre was just all over Forrest the entire night. He was so low, Jay got that analysis right consistently and I thought it was worthy of highlighting. On both defense and offense, Tre was so cerebral just prying and prodding with change of pace. He never seemed to tire although K having others take the ball up in the second half was a smart move to conserve Tre even for half a play.

Tre toyed with Forrest multiple times as they both went back and forth trying to draw dumb fouls (cerebral games) - credit to the refs for not getting baited on those. FSU was starting their offense so far out, and they couldn't get downhill. The switching was excellent, especially in the second half.

Tre's insistence on shooting the open three (mandatory; I said this last night after UNC) was important. And it adds just enough flavor to his game that the penetrations open up - something he took to a new level last night by pulling up, finishing aggressively and with high degree of difficulty, and by making the smart pass. His ability to make those reads in real-time in such high pressure situations was exceptional. Again credit Bilas with saying how fantastic Tre is as a PG.

Tre was phenomenal tonight. If this was the moment it clicked and we get this with some consistency, it gives us the 3rd option we need - and importantly, an off-beat 3rd option that makes us more nuanced and tricky to figure out.

Major, major props to Tre tonight for a fantastic game that basically throttled him onto 2nd team All Tourney Team.

But tonight was Duke's night, more so than anything. That streak in the second half to pull away was something special and had me screaming at my TV along with them. Well done boys!!!

- Chillin

mkirsh
03-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Also great job by Coach K getting guys quick rest around the media time outs so they could log huge minutes but still have enough in the tank to finish the game strong.

wsb3
03-17-2019, 11:01 AM
I found this link for any that missed the press conference like me last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKq6TJyOGI

Wander
03-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Also great job by Coach K getting guys quick rest around the media time outs so they could log huge minutes but still have enough in the tank to finish the game strong.

K has really done an especially great job of managing the line-up recently. Calling time-outs at the right time, knowing how much to play Vrank and Goldwire, dealing with foul trouble, and not panicking to rush Zion back before the conference tournament. We're in great shape for the NCAA tournament.

dukelifer
03-17-2019, 11:09 AM
How sweet it is!!! Winning the ACCT never gets old. I was jumping around my living room after the Cam 3.

We played a fantastic game last night. And while Zion was excellent (again), Tre played his best game in a Duke uniform. That was truly sensational and was a performance on both sides of the ball surpassing his Texas Tech game.

Tre was just all over Forrest the entire night. He was so low, Jay got that analysis right consistently and I thought it was worthy of highlighting. On both defense and offense, Tre was so cerebral just prying and prodding with change of pace. He never seemed to tire although K having others take the ball up in the second half was a smart move to conserve Tre even for half a play.

Tre toyed with Forrest multiple times as they both went back and forth trying to draw dumb fouls (cerebral games) - credit to the refs for not getting baited on those. FSU was starting their offense so far out, and they couldn't get downhill. The switching was excellent, especially in the second half.

Tre's insistence on shooting the open three (mandatory; I said this last night after UNC) was important. And it adds just enough flavor to his game that the penetrations open up - something he took to a new level last night by pulling up, finishing aggressively and with high degree of difficulty, and by making the smart pass. His ability to make those reads in real-time in such high pressure situations was exceptional. Again credit Bilas with saying how fantastic Tre is as a PG.

Tre was phenomenal tonight. If this was the moment it clicked and we get this with some consistency, it gives us the 3rd option we need - and importantly, an off-beat 3rd option that makes us more nuanced and tricky to figure out.

Major, major props to Tre tonight for a fantastic game that basically throttled him onto 2nd team All Tourney Team.

But tonight was Duke's night, more so than anything. That streak in the second half to pull away was something special and had me screaming at my TV along with them. Well done boys!!!

- Chillin
Tre played like a star last night. His control of the game and tempo was masterful. He got guys involved with great passing and hunted his own shot. That is how a point guard is supposed to play - even if threes are not part of his game.

sagegrouse
03-17-2019, 11:17 AM
[FSU shooting:] 2pt%: 27.9% (this is an OMG number; and is also our best 2pt defense of the season)

FSU shot 12 for 43 from two-point range.

To me, this was the stat of the game. Our interior defense was amazingly good.

MChambers
03-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Raycom has been great. Very fitting to have Duke win the ACC Championship in Raycom's last game.

Also, without Raycom, I'd have had to listen to Bilas (or mute the audio) and watch replay after replay showing how Duke gets all the calls. Hope some of the good Raycom folks, like Gman, are hired by the new ACC Network.

sagegrouse
03-17-2019, 11:33 AM

Rmarkste -- This is an insightful post overall, but you should reconsider either your thinking or your wording on this comment. Something about "lies, damned lies and statistics." Tre's assist-to-turnover ratio at the beginning of the season was unheard of -- way beyond ridiculous -- 6:1 for the first eight games. The last eight games, the A/TO ratio is 2.3:1. That's pretty good; it is wrong to say it's "twice as bad" as a number seldom achieved by anyone.

DukieInBrasil
03-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Kedsy addresses this complaint that many have lodged vs Javin and his play vs uNC, and i agree with Kedsy, his performance vs uNC was fine, not the best, but good. He missed an easy bunny and had the ball knocked out of his hands on a couple of occasions but that's not unusual for him. His statline vs uNC was better than his average for the season.

Bob Green
03-17-2019, 11:43 AM
The last eight games, the A/TO ratio is 2.3:1. That's pretty good; it is wrong to say it's "twice as bad" as a number seldom achieved by anyone.

Tre Jones is #3 in the Nation in A/TO ratio at 3.59:1. He has 165 assists and 46 turnovers:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/473

Wander
03-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Javin's value, especially with Bolden out, is to stay on the court and play good defense, and his biggest weakness is foul trouble. So I don't think it makes sense to normalize by minutes; the fact that he got to stay on the court over 50% more time against FSU than against UNC is the biggest reason why he had a better performance in that game.

ncexnyc
03-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Kedsy addresses this complaint that many have lodged vs Javin and his play vs uNC, and i agree with Kedsy, his performance vs uNC was fine, not the best, but good. He missed an easy bunny and had the ball knocked out of his hands on a couple of occasions but that's not unusual for him. His statline vs uNC was better than his average for the season.

Feel free to agree with whoever you want, but I'll stick with my original take on Javin's play.

Stats are meaningless without context. There's a huge difference in an outfielder in baseball catching 3 routine fly balls and that same outfielder making 1 routine catch and 2 outstanding catches that take away runs.

FerryFor50
03-17-2019, 12:56 PM

I feel like the same people that think Javin played badly against UNC also think Vrank was awesome against UNC. Both had solid plays. Both got out of position on defense that led to scores or bad fouls. But Vrank likely gets more credit because it was unexpected. Maybe our expectations of Javin are too high - I’ve always looked at him as an energy guy who can get rebounds, block shots, take charges and anything he scores is gravy.

People who think he can’t finish around the basket forget that he’s shooting over 70% from the field and had a stretch of 19 made FGs in a row. Even Zion has missed some bunnies this season.

killerleft
03-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Impressions from Charlotte, before reading the post-game thread:

St. Paddy's Day and Duke in the finals gives Charlotte a vibrant party atmosphere. Green and Duke Blue go together very well, thank you very much!:)

Charlotte has a great downtown, and the skyline is beautiful day and night.

The Spectrum Center is a very nice venue.:) The big board shows an amazing number of replays in a timely fashion.

The "Zion Effect" may give us the unaccustomed role of crowd favorite at times in the NCAAs, if the ACC Tournament is any indication. Pulling against this team is not easy. Even the Tar Heel fans could only half-heartedly (as a group, mind you) cheer against the Devils.

My Zion moment (duh) was the exquisite fast break pass to Tre Jones. My Javin 'frozen in time' moment happened several times after he secured a big rebound. But my favorite thing from this game was the defense. When these guys focus, they can really hound an opposing team.:)

Florida State admiration sentences: Leonard Hamilton has the best feel for calling timeouts at the right time of any coach I have seen. And what he says must be golden. Not golden enough, though, this go 'round.:)

Imagine the Smiley Image again, four is the limit! Go Duke!

Edit: Oh, and thanks to the DBRer who suggested the free employee parking lot!

dukelifer
03-17-2019, 01:15 PM
I feel like the same people that think Javin played badly against UNC also think Vrank was awesome against UNC. Both had solid plays. Both got out of position on defense that led to scores or bad fouls. But Vrank likely gets more credit because it was unexpected. Maybe our expectations of Javin are too high - I’ve always looked at him as an energy guy who can get rebounds, block shots, take charges and anything he scores is gravy.

People who think he can’t finish around the basket forget that he’s shooting over 70% from the field and had a stretch of 19 made FGs in a row. Even Zion has missed some bunnies this season.
All I know is that you need role players to step up in a championship run. One thing about Zion - beyond his incredible b-ball skill- is that he provides energy to his team. He plays so hard. Javin gave amazing effort in all the games knowing that he pretty much the only big left. When he sat because of foul trouble - Vrank was locked in. Goldwire was a real difference maker- he has played against outstanding competition in practice and knows how to be a major pest. I am hoping that AOC can get his mojo back. Duke can use his outside shooting. Right now that is the only glaring weakness of the team.

Utley
03-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks for calling this out - I agree. He played within himself and didn’t try to force things. If he can just do that and play Great D it’s a big add. Any shots that go in are just a bonus. I hope this was the result of coaching feedback and is the status quo going forward.

MChambers
03-17-2019, 01:48 PM

But it seems like Zion got the offensive rebound on almost every one of his misses. 😉

-jk
03-17-2019, 01:49 PM
But it seems like Zion got the offensive rebound on almost every one of his misses. 😉

The fastest second jump since, well, Bagley!

-jk

devildeac
03-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Impressions from Charlotte, before reading the post-game thread:

St. Paddy's Day and Duke in the finals gives Charlotte a vibrant party atmosphere. Green and Duke Blue go together very well, thank you very much!

Charlotte has a great downtown, and the skyline is beautiful day and night.

The Spectrum Center is a very nice venue. The big board shows an amazing number of replays in a timely fashion.

The "Zion Effect" may give us the unaccustomed role of crowd favorite at times in the NCAAs, if the ACC Tournament is any indication. Pulling against this team is not easy. Even the Tar Heel fans could only half-heartedly (as a group, mind you) cheer against the Devils.

My Zion moment (duh) was the exquisite fast break pass to Tre Jones. My Javin 'frozen in time' moment happened several times after he secured a big rebound. But my favorite thing from this game was the defense. When these guys focus, they can really hound an opposing team.:)

Florida State admiration sentences: Leonard Hamilton has the best feel for calling timeouts at the right time of any coach I have seen. And what he says must be golden. Not golden enough, though, this go 'round.:)

Imagine the Smiley Image again, four is the limit! Go Duke!

Edit: Oh, and thanks to the DBRer who suggested the free employee parking lot!

Good summary, killer. Any beer reviews? :o;)

UrinalCake
03-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Javin’s struggles around the rim have more to do with him fumbling the ball upon receiving it or having it stripped away when he tries to dribble, which wouldn’t be reflected in his shooting percentage. But I agree with you that I thought he played great in both the UNC-CHeat and the FSU game, regardless of the numbers. He was going up against some enormous front courts and had to avoid foul trouble and he stood in there and held his own, especially late in the games. His fouls don’t seem to come from guarding one on one in the post, they comes from bumping a cutter or reaching in 30 feet from the basket, which is correctable.

One of the interesting subplots of the season has been how he and Bolden have see-sawed between which is playing better. Hopefully we get them both playing at a high level for the closing stretch.

killerleft
03-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Good summary, killer. Any beer reviews? :o;)

Sorry! I was with a beanpole younger person we both know. She was tired. We WERE going to go by Sugar Creek Brewing after the game. I really wanted to try a couple of their Belgian-inspired offerings, Biere de Garde and Belgian Dubbel. They had closed by the time we left the net-cutting ceremony. The basketball game was very, very nice, though.:o

MarkD83
03-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Just some random thoughts about the tournament

1. At the end of the FSU game coach K gave Tre a big hug and then turned around and shook the hands of the coaches. Very classy. He also had a big smile on his face so clearly winning number 15 was important to him.

2. There was a scene where Coach K gave Mrs. K a big hug and kiss. As players passed by the two you could see them stop and say hello to Mrs. K who recognized each of them. Clearly Mrs. K is an integral part of the Duke family atmosphere.

3. The on court interviews with RJ and Zion were good, but I caught an off court interview with Cam. Very poised and articulate. Even though we give him grief on this board about his play you can tell from the interview he is very invested in this team and enjoying every minute of it. I did try to watch him rather than the ball when I replayed some of the games and he does a lot of things on defense that go unnoticed.

4. At the end of the FSU game blue and white confetti was sprayed over the court. I wonder if there has ever been a close game that comes down to the last shot and the wrong color confetti is sprayed on the court? Or the game goes to overtime and confetti has to be cleared from the court.

-jk
03-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Just some random thoughts about the tournament

1. At the end of the FSU game coach K gave Tre a big hug and then turned around and shook the hands of the coaches. Very classy. He also had a big smile on his face so clearly winning number 15 was important to him.

2. There was a scene where Coach K gave Mrs. K a big hug and kiss. As players passed by the two you could see them stop and say hello to Mrs. K who recognized each of them. Clearly Mrs. K is an integral part of the Duke family atmosphere.

3. The on court interviews with RJ and Zion were good, but I caught an off court interview with Cam. Very poised and articulate. Even though we give him grief on this board about his play you can tell from the interview he is very invested in this team and enjoying every minute of it. I did try to watch him rather than the ball when I replayed some of the games and he does a lot of things on defense that go unnoticed.

4. At the end of the FSU game blue and white confetti was sprayed over the court. I wonder if there has ever been a close game that comes down to the last shot and the wrong color confetti is sprayed on the court? Or the game goes to overtime and confetti has to be cleared from the court.

Yeah, #4... It's gonna happen!

-jk

lotusland
03-17-2019, 05:25 PM
All I know is that you need role players to step up in a championship run. One thing about Zion - beyond his incredible b-ball skill- is that he provides energy to his team. He plays so hard. Javin gave amazing effort in all the games knowing that he pretty much the only big left. When he sat because of foul trouble - Vrank was locked in. Goldwire was a real difference maker- he has played against outstanding competition in practice and knows how to be a major pest. I am hoping that AOC can get his mojo back. Duke can use his outside shooting. Right now that is the only glaring weakness of the team.

I think Goldwire is getting most of AOC’s minutes now. At least JGold is over his layup yips. Still passing up unguarded shots from deep tho. Alex needs to play stronger on defense all the time but, even so, he can’t provide the defensive pressure Goldwire is giving us. I think we have to live with either inconsistent or poor 3-pt shooting the rest of the way.

hallcity
03-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Yeah, #4... It's gonna happen!

-jk

It has happened.
https://slate.com/culture/2018/05/philadelphia-drops-confetti-to-celebrate-postponement-of-sixers-loss.html

No danger of that last night.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2019, 09:24 PM
It’s so nice to win a championship!

Rmarkste
03-25-2019, 08:00 AM
I enjoyed reading the thread. Very insightful comments!
Tre Jones shoots .232 from the field on three and AOC is over .380 from three. Enough said.
By the way, Zion probably just passed RJ .333% from three last night.

I read comments on Zion and his poor handle. All this was created by his awful footing. He kept slipping all night and not just the onetime on that wet spot. Does he know how to wipe the dust off the bottom of his sneakers or get some new sneaks dude. Those were not working!

I went back and looked at our 2015 run and we blew out every team on way to final four. All over 20 point wins or close except for Utah game which wasn’t like the game last night.

I need to talk myself of the ledge because I cannot see us getting to the final four in not blowing out a team like this. Carolina and UVA had much easier games and controlled the games.

Here I will try.
Duke is not turning it over much and good assist to turnover ratio last two games. Shooting better from three point land despite Tre Jones troubles.
We will be favored against Vtech and MSU, so why shouldn’t we win.
Unlike Carolina and UVA we have dealt with more adversity coming back in games and sadly playing many more close games then them and I hope this helps us in the long run.
Bolden will become more prominent as he has more time to heal and get into game shape. Please become Zoubek for the last four games.
I would much rather play the next game after a close game versus a blowout where they are reading their press clippings.
Defense, defense, defense. We will win it all if we play hard defense and get fast breaks off turnovers.

boligrafous
03-25-2019, 09:11 AM
We've had some exciting wins over Florida schools this season. Maybe this comment is confusing two of them?

I enjoyed reading the thread. Very insightful comments!
Tre Jones shoots .232 from the field on three and AOC is over .380 from three. Enough said.
By the way, Zion probably just passed RJ .333% from three last night.

I read comments on Zion and his poor handle. All this was created by his awful footing. He kept slipping all night and not just the onetime on that wet spot. Does he know how to wipe the dust off the bottom of his sneakers or get some new sneaks dude. Those were not working!

I went back and looked at our 2015 run and we blew out every team on way to final four. All over 20 point wins or close except for Utah game which wasn’t like the game last night.

I need to talk myself of the ledge because I cannot see us getting to the final four in not blowing out a team like this. Carolina and UVA had much easier games and controlled the games.

Here I will try.
Duke is not turning it over much and good assist to turnover ratio last two games. Shooting better from three point land despite Tre Jones troubles.
We will be favored against Vtech and MSU, so why shouldn’t we win.
Unlike Carolina and UVA we have dealt with more adversity coming back in games and sadly playing many more close games then them and I hope this helps us in the long run.
Bolden will become more prominent as he has more time to heal and get into game shape. Please become Zoubek for the last four games.
I would much rather play the next game after a close game versus a blowout where they are reading their press clippings.
Defense, defense, defense. We will win it all if we play hard defense and get fast breaks off turnovers.