PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke74, Cheating Bastards 73 Post-Game Thread (ACC Semis)

Pages : [1] 2

JBDuke
03-15-2019, 11:33 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
My god

scottdude8
Jordan Goldwire should be remembered FOREVER for his performance tonight.

J4Kop99
03-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Heart. Stopped.

Zion.

What. A. Win.

Mabdul Doobakus
Lucky. Zion shouldn't have to do this much.

rsvman
Unbelievable

fuse
03-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Amazing outcome.

Actually a really awesome game by both teams that was fun to watch with more than a few nail biting moments as a fan.

Did what we needed to win, although better free throw shooting would have been nice.

Hope Goldwire is ok.

What. A. Game!

DukieInKansas
Lot's of pacing watching this game.

WHOneedsSOX
Man I hope they have enough tomorrow. What a gutsy, gutsy win.

CDu
Halle-freaking-Lujah

kaufmjo
Wow that was nerve racking. RJ has to hit those shots at end tourney time.

banneheim
I think I’m going to the ER, I might have suffered a minor heart attack!

ns7
03-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Glad Goodwire got that bucket. Otherwise only Zion scored for us during the last ten minutes.

CrazyNotCrazie
I think that is the sound of a 1 seed I hear

arnie
That’s two of us. Thank God for Zion

curtis325
Nice play by the cheats at the end. Too bad they didn't have any timouts left to set up a play.

fc3
GTH you cheating bastards GTH!!!

HereBeforeCoachK

RJ wasn't close on either....first one way short, second one a long clank.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Our free throw game is horrible. Glad we withstood that!

So glad to beat those jagoffs.

Ballboy1998
FYI unc still had sham no-show classes for athletes for over 20 years. GTHCGTH! GTHCGTH! GTHCGTH!

curtis325
That’s two of us. Thank God for Zion

Thank Zion for Zion.

Chard
AAAAH! YES!

Bolden was missed for sure. Get well, big guy.

godins
03-15-2019, 11:38 PM
Other than the FT shooting, our Swiss cheese defense for the first 14 minutes, and Javin's inability to make a 1-foot shot, I'll take 7 more (wins) where this came from!

Troublemaker
Special props to Javin for bothering (knocking away?) the tip-in attempt by Little at the buzzer.

I'm a huge RJ supporter but that was some gagging at the line there. It wasn't planned for him to be at the FT line (if planned, the opportunity would probably go to Tre), but RJ's going to get fouled after rebounds like he did there, and he needs to hit the freebies.

J4Kop99
We should all be very happy with this win.

However, imagine if we didn't have so many unforced turnovers and made more of our free throws?

InSpades
Zion. Zion. More Zion. Good god he's special.

If the rest of the team could play reasonably well... I wouldn't take 5 years off my life every game.

Real good D by Tre at the end there. Great contribution from Goldwire.

Cam... we need you man.

Tomorrow is all gravy. Tonight is glorious. I love Zion. That is all!

szstark
Who says we don’t have a bench? Wow!

Matches
03-15-2019, 11:39 PM
Wow.

That is all. Just wow.

pfrduke
Just a shame Coach K doesn’t develop the bench so that they can’t be counted on to step up during big games.

Goldwire and Vrank were amazing.

DukieInBrasil
All props to J-Gold and Vrank. Their entry into the game completely reversed the momentum and they were productive while in. J-Gold in particular warriored thru cramping to give everything to this team.
Zion is the king. No doubt that they wouldn't have lost any of those 3 games while he was out. He's just amazing.
I'm just hoping that there's enough gas in the tank to beat FSU tomorrow.

SenatorClayDavis
Anybody else still drinking? Throwing Shade here. Go Devils!!!!!

CameronBlue
FYI unc still had sham no-show classes for athletes for over 20 years. GTHCGTH! GTHCGTH! GTHCGTH!

GUT CHECK! Yep we got 'em!!

Duke was absolutely gassed by the end...UNC was also pretty tired. Helluva way to gut it out!

Les Grossman
03-15-2019, 11:40 PM
not much to speak of from anyone else

An ugly win sucks way less than an ugly loss

curtis325
As a leg cramp sufferer, I really feel for Jordan.

He also played a nice game.

ChrisP
Glad for the win. Disappointed in that HORRIBLE decision by RJ to take that contested 3 when we were up 1 with LOTS of time on the shot clock with like 1:25 to go. And...don't get me started on the missed FT's. Ugh

CDu
03-15-2019, 11:41 PM
Here’s hoping Barrett and Reddish bounce back tomorrow. We are putting a humongous burden on Zion’s shoulders. Thankfully he was enough tonight. But those guys need to play better tomorrow.

What a crazy game. Big kudos to Vrank and especially Goldwire for stepping up in a time of need. And of course behemoth kudos to Zion for being the freaking man that he is.

ElliottHoo
Nice work. The #1 overall seed awaits.

Its funny that the situation over the last few games has played out almost optimally in terms of getting the ACC 3 1-seeds. The SEC and Big10 aren’t really helping, though

MartyClark
I didn't think we could win without a good game from Cam.

Jordan had a big game. Vrank made some good plays.

I have a moral dilemma. I've committed to dinner with friends tomorrow who don't care about basketball. I think I am coming down with something and need to cancel.

TNTDevil
I damn near soiled myself on Cam Johnson's last three attempt.

Great win. Great game. What a classic for Raycom's final Duke/UNC game.

Dukehk
Goldwire is a warrior. Just stepping it up at the right time of the year. Was getting no burn at all earlier, but has fought his way and taken his opportunity to impact this team positively.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of Cam Reddish, Jack White, Tre Jones and even Javin Delaurier. I was really hoping these guys would find their groove and confidence in March to help us win a title. Instead they look like they have mental blocks, and visibly have lost all confidence in their own game. If anyone can turn it around, Coach K can.

I love Zion and he is probably the best player I've seen put on a Duke Jersey. However, I don't like how we are so reliant on him now. I want us to go back to the first 5-8 games of the season where we were a much more balanced and dangerous team.

It was a super tough game and we came through with a win which will do wonders for everyones psyche and confidence.

Now we get a rematch against fsu who will be itching to revenge that last second win! If we win the ACC tourney then I think we should be the overall #1 seed. I hope the committee sees it the same way.

Bigwayne17
03-15-2019, 11:42 PM
I thought we might get Austin Rivers-ed at the end....but no!!!

LGD
GTHC

kako
5 thoughts:

1. ALWAYS KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

2. Vrank and Goldwire. I may vote for one of them as MOTM even though it's really Zion. But Vrank stepping in for DeLaurier was so key. And Goldwire's play was stellar. His garbage basket on a gimpy leg was so big. His defense was also great - I said it in the thread: any coincidence that Johnson's O cooled down when Goldwire came in?

3. Dang, RJ. I love you, man. But the FT's... Looked to me that Carolina really worked hard to take him out of his game, and it kind of worked. But 15 points was big.

4. Jones - can he be the reliable 3rd scorer this team needs? I hope so.

5. So happy not to lose 3 in a season to the Cheats. I wanted this game much more than tomorrow's. Though now I want tomorrow's, too. It will mean the #1 seed for Duke.

9F
9F
9F

duke4ever19
Is it better for my heart that I wasn't able to watch it live?

UrinalCake
What a gutty win. The team looked gassed after the first eight minutes. Key stretch was after Javin picked up his third, Reddish had two, we were down 13 but still cut into the lead having one scorer on the court. Contributions from everybody. Goldwire locking down Johnson was just one of many keys to the win. Zion was the star but lots of other guys stepped up. So happy to have gotten this W!

ChicagoHeel
03-15-2019, 11:43 PM
Wow- what a game. Congrats on a well earned win. I sure wish there had been another half second on the clock for Cam’s put back.

I can’t like anyone who puts on the Duke uniform, but I am in awe of Zion. I can’t think of any college player I have watched that has such an impact on the game. There have been lots of guys who put up big numbers, but he’s way more than that. Just amazing. The sooner he is in the NBA, the better.

Skydog
03-15-2019, 11:44 PM
RJ wasn't close on either...first one way short, second one a long clank.
You could see a worried look on his face before he took them. Didn’t look confident. Of course he was playing in HS last year and has carried us many games this season so there’s that...

Dukehky
We did everything we could to lose that game. Cam's turnovers gave UNC life twice in the second half, and RJ missed those free throws.

But... we won. That's awesome. F them.

simplyluvin
Lucky to win tonight. I thank the good Lord for Zion. I think we can overcome subpar perimeter shooting going forward because Zion cures a lot of maladies, but our free throw shooting must be better down the stretch.

Cam was a liability tonight. The game was too fast for him. Goldwire really kept their Cam down.

Seven more wins!!!

DavidBenAkiva
03-15-2019, 11:45 PM
Starting lineup tomorrow should be:

J-Gold
AOC
Cam
White
Vrank

Sub in Justin Robinson at the first TV timeout

TNTDevil
All props to J-Gold and Vrank. Their entry into the game completely reversed the momentum and they were productive while in. J-Gold in particular warriored thru cramping to give everything to this team.
Zion is the king. No doubt that they wouldn't have lost any of those 3 games while he was out. He's just amazing.
I'm just hoping that there's enough gas in the tank to beat FSU tomorrow.Not arguing this point. They were fantastic.

But, JDL deserves some love. He can't help it that he's tweaking most of his game minutes. But, he played a long time in the 2nd with four and didn't foul out. So...there's that.

uh_no
i'm too old for this.....stuff.

ChrisP
Love, love, LOVE what Goldwire and Vrank gave us tonight! Zion was, well Zion. Cam was "off" to put it nicely. Javin, after 2 really nice games in a row, was pretty awful tonight. Not much contribution from White or AOC, sadly.

Crazy game. Glad to get the win. Really want Cam to get it together but...man, is he frustrating to watch sometimes

jipops
03-15-2019, 11:46 PM
I’m 70 years old today. I aged 23 years in one night.

Emerrick
03-15-2019, 11:46 PM
I have a moral dilemma. I've committed to dinner with friends tomorrow who don't care about basketball. I think I am coming down with something and need to cancel.

Sorry to hear Marty. Let me know if you need a doctor’s note.

pfrduke
03-15-2019, 11:47 PM

J-Gold
AOC
Cam
White
Vrank

And you want Zion not to start because?

Skydog
03-15-2019, 11:48 PM
Zion - take tomorrow off and rest. You deserve it.

CoachJ10
03-15-2019, 11:48 PM
26-32 from the floor in 2 games. How about we get that guy some touches?

Cam Johnson is going to be seeing Jordan Goldwire everywhere he looks for the foreseeable future.

Lets hope the NCAA tourney doesnt reward these flops and have these refs re-read the rule book on charges.

Jack White wants to know why Luke Maye and Garrison Brooks can illegally cross the end line everytime after a Duke made basket occurs (perhaps our friend Jay Bilas could have pointed that out after the 23rd time he lauded the ‘Holes for how fast they push the ball up).

subzero02
03-15-2019, 11:49 PM
I guess having Zion makes a difference...

fgb

this.

AGDukesky
I’m 70 years old today. I aged 33 years in one night.

Not the blowout you expected, huh?

TNTDevil

You've got Ebola. I'm a doctor on DBR.

Bluedevil114
Let’s go Duke. Zion and Jordan. Big games. Free throws. Come on.

Saratoga2
03-15-2019, 11:50 PM

First of all, congrats to the team for a needed win. I believe we would have won easily if Tre and Jordan handled the ball and Williamson got a touch on each possession. He was clearly the best player on the floor and even defensively, Luke Maybe was held way down tonight.

To improve what we did tonight:

1. Stop making silly fouls far from the basket. We must have handed UNC 6 or 8 points on that kind of foul.

2. We got into RJ and Cam handling the ball and turning the ball over. We don't need hero ball just movement to put themselves into a position to score.

3. Box out as we gave up quite a few points when UNC got an offensive rebound at the basket after missing the initial shot.

4. Make FTs

DukieInBrasil
Goldwire is a warrior. Just stepping it up at the right time of the year. Was getting no burn at all earlier, but has fought his way and taken his opportunity to impact this team positively.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of Cam Reddish, Jack White, Tre Jones and even Javin Delaurier. I was really hoping these guys would find their groove and confidence in March to help us win a title. Instead they look like they have mental blocks, and visibly have lost all confidence in their own game. If anyone can turn it around, Coach K can.

i wouldn't say that about Javin, but i would say it about AOC.
Javin doesn't have good hands and he doesn't go up strong when he should. Still he had 6 rebounds, 5 points and had a sweet block while bothering several other shots in the lane. I thought he played better than even.
Cam otoh, that dude has become a liability. So much so that J-Gold got 28 minutes in part b/c Cam can't dribble or pass without turning it over, and can't drive without charging. They ran a play for him to get the ball while cutting, and he scored. More of that please.
J-Gold has now hit 4 strait FGs. After being a 17% FG shooter prior to the ACCT, he is now a 26% FG shooter! Seriously, the dude has stepped up and played the best ball of his career right when the team needed him most. Kudos.

COYS
Whew! It feels good to win that. Would’ve been gutting to lose it for us fans. This game ended up a defensive slugfest despite the high-scoring first half. Other than allowing a few too many run-outs, our defense really clamped down after the first 12 minutes or so. Only Cam Johnson and Zion Williamson were efficient scorers for their respective teams. Luckily for us, Zion makes Johnson’s really good performance seem unimpressive by comparison.

The team defense battled all game and made life tough for uNC in the half-court. I hate allowing so many run outs but I guess it’s bound to happen against the Heels. Our half court offense was . . . not great. I’ve been one of Cam’s biggest believers all season but yeesh . . . Some of those TOs were ugly. Our free throw shooting and three point shooting seem to be what they are now. So I hope that K and the staff can work out a few new wrinkles to get RJ and Zion a few more easier looks.

Tomorrow is going to be a serious battle. FSU will want revenge for Cam’s dagger in Tallahassee. On the other hand, they’ll have to face Zion for a full two halves. I can’t wait. Let’s get this team a championship!

DavidBenAkiva
And you want Zion not to start because?

I don't think Zion, R.J. or Tre should play tomorrow, to be honest. More important things to do.

AGDukesky
03-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Cam really has to show up tomorrow because his foul trouble has allowed for more rest than the other freshmen. Also be nice for AOC or White to be a threat. FSU will be tough with all the size...

LasVegas
03-15-2019, 11:51 PM
The in game thread was yet again horrible. Some of y’all should be banned for some of the garbage I read in that thing. It’s pathetic.

Duke really needs to cut down the turnovers. It seems they always occur at the absolute worst times when the momentum is all duke. But great win. Zion is something else and gets better every minute.

subzero02
03-15-2019, 11:52 PM
kind of sour grapes comments. I’m not sure even with Zion in much would change the outcome here

I didn't think it was possible but this statement seems even more ridiculous than it did on Saturday....

weezie
presser up yet?

CDu
I don't think Zion, R.J. or Tre should play tomorrow, to be honest. More important things to do.

I disagree. We have a chance for a championship. Let’s get it. We will have almost a week to rest after tomorrow. Throwing championships away is not how Duke operates.

ns7
J-Gold has now hit 4 strait FGs. After being a 17% FG shooter prior to the ACCT, he is now a 26% FG shooter! Seriously, the dude has stepped up and played the best ball of his career right when the team needed him most. Kudos.

Really excited about Goldwire. He has developed well, and I'm eager to see how he grows his game over the next 2+ years.

fuse

Paging devildeac

gus

Then win a championship? Let me introduce you to this guy coaching Duke. His name is a little tricky to spell.

jipops
03-15-2019, 11:53 PM
There is a decent chance these teams will meet again. I’m not pumped for that at all.

Dukehk
03-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Looking back at the boxscore, just really annoyed that Cam went 0-2 from the free throw line and RJ went 3-6 including missing those last two.

I'm sure this will be fixed in time for the big dance. Its critical we hit those freebies because it would have given us a much more comfortable victory.

InSpades
03-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Okay a few more thoughts...

That ball that bounced to Goldwire for the layup at the end... right place, right time. HUGE.

Did it seem like the timeouts were really long? That probably helped us a bunch. We looked GASSED. Especially Zion.

Jav didn't have a great game but I thought he played reasonably well. We are going to need him to stay out of foul trouble tomorrow. Or Vrank is gonna have to play. FSU is BIG.

Tre played great on defense and he did a pretty good job initiating the offense. He didn't shoot so well but... that's not really his thing.

RJ did some really good things (8 rebounds, 7 assists) but too many tough shots. The huge step back 3 in particular. It's tough on him though cause w/ Zion out he really needs to carry the offense.

Great win. Still recovering. Feels good though!

J4Kop99
03-15-2019, 11:55 PM
I wonder how coach K will handle tomorrow. Our guys seemed completely gassed by the end of this one.

-j-gold with the cramps, Zion holding his back, rj with a mix of nerves and fatigue at the line late (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on fatigue), cam with "mental" cramps??, tre's legs must be dead, etc.

gocanes0506
Combing through social media and craiglist to get tickets for tomorrow without killing the wallet.

ChrisP
This talk about resting guys is silly. Coach K and the Duke team want to win a championship. I agree with that philosophy 100%. Let's go after it with ALL our weapons deployed.

Hartford Dukie
Carolina is now the one looking for a break to get to the top line.

sagegrouse
03-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Nice play by the cheats at the end. Too bad they didn't have any timouts left to set up a play.

Funny! To state the obvious, Roy had two left.

Dukehky
03-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Okay a few more thoughts...

That ball that bounced to Goldwire for the layup at the end... right place, right time. HUGE.

Did it seem like the timeouts were really long? That probably helped us a bunch. We looked GASSED. Especially Zion.

Jav didn't have a great game but I thought he played reasonably well. We are going to need him to stay out of foul trouble tomorrow. Or Vrank is gonna have to play. FSU is BIG.

Tre played great on defense and he did a pretty good job initiating the offense. He didn't shoot so well but... that's not really his thing.

RJ did some really good things (8 rebounds, 7 assists) but too many tough shots. The huge step back 3 in particular. It's tough on him though cause w/ Zion out he really needs to carry the offense.

Great win. Still recovering. Feels good though!

All of Nas Little's buckets were like that...

ChrisP
03-15-2019, 11:57 PM
Looking back at the boxscore, just really annoyed that Cam went 0-2 from the free throw line and RJ went 3-6 including missing those last two.

I'm sure this will be fixed in time for the big dance. Its critical we hit those freebies because it would have given us a much more comfortable victory.

Wish I shared your confidence in that regard, brother!

Skydog
Tre and especially Zion looked absolutely exhausted and probably need a break. RJ not so much. He and Cam need to figure out a way to take over and carry the load tomorrow.

arnie
Zion - take tomorrow off and rest. You deserve it.

Huh? He rested for the past 3 weeks. I count ACC championships, and think K does too.

dukelifer
I wonder how coach K will handle tomorrow. Our guys seemed completely gassed by the end of this one.

-j-gold with the cramps, Zion holding his back, rj with a mix of nerves and fatigue at the line late (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on fatigue), cam with "mental" cramps??, tre's legs must be dead, etc.

Baker with 50- simple. He has a lot left in the tank.

RepoMan
03-15-2019, 11:58 PM
I disagree. We have a chance for a championship. Let’s get it. We will have almost a week to rest after tomorrow. Throwing championships away is not how Duke operates.

Exactly

BigZ

J-Gold
AOC
Cam
White
Vrank

Don’t forget about Joey Redshirt

jv001
Zion= 31 points on 13-19, 11 rebounds, 2-3 on 3s, 3-3 FTs,
RJ= 15 points on 5-15, 8 rebounds, 3-6 FTs, 7 assists and 3 turnovers
Cam= 6 pts on 3-7, 2 rebounds, 0-2 FTs, 0 assists and 5 turnovers
Tre= 11pts on 5-14, 4 rebounds, 0-0 FTs, 4 assists and 2 turnovers

Jordan had 4 points on 2-2 but played terrific defense on the cheats Cam.
Vrank had 2 points on 1-1, had 2 assists and 1 block and he played good defense as well.

Without those 2 role players, we lose this game by double digits.

GoDuke!

Steven43
03-15-2019, 11:59 PM
Our free throw game is horrible. Glad we withstood that!

So glad to beat those jagoffs.

Yeah, as you know very well, FT percentage is closely correlated with outside-shooting percentage. One is usually either good at both or bad at both. The answer to being bad at both but still winning is...........Zion.

scottdude8

Banners are banners are banners. Let’s go get one.

Ian
I just cannot get over how poorly Cam Reddish has played, Goldwire should start over him for the simple reason that Goldwire can play defense without being a complete liability on offense. Reddish should right now be a spot up shooter on offense and that's it, his drives are 33% of the time an offensive foul, 33% of the time he loses the ball, and he maybe hits 50% of the time he actually gets a shot off, which means he succeeds 1 out of 6 times.

uh_no
Carolina is now the one looking for a break to get to the top line.

lunardi gave us a 1?

we're screwed.

Billy Dat
03-16-2019, 12:00 AM
That was AMAZING!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!

Sometimes ya gots to smell the roses, my friends. UNC is as good as it gets in D1 this year and we just got a W despite not playing our best game. Our just returned NPOY played like the NPOY, we got big contributions from unlikely sources, we probably secured a #1 seed, we play for a title tomorrow.

Enjoy tonight as soon there will be no tomorrow.

Duke76
03-16-2019, 12:00 AM
presser up yet?

I'm waiting for it to Weezie...my gosh my heart is in my throat one second and in my feet the next.....we really weathered the storm in first half...game ball to Zion and Coach K and Vrank and Goldwire. I played golf today with about 39 other guys and I think I was the only Duke guy...all UNC, UVA and Georgia. Stayed strong and can't wait to see them all again

dukelion
03-16-2019, 12:01 AM
Cam's gotta bounce back.

Some of those TO's were just horrendous. But even worse was the front end miss late in the game.....could have sealed it right there but instead he bricked it and then a terrible foul at the other end.....if you're gonna foul to prevent a bucket....prevent the bucket!!!!!

Instead it was an and 1 that kept the came close to the end.

Cmon Cam....we need you bro.

CrazyNotCrazie
K has too much respect for the institution that is the ACC Tournanent to tank the game but I really hope we don’t push our guys too hard vs FSU. I don’t want to win the battle to lose the war. Hopefully Cam can use it as a chance to get things back together - the last FSU game went ok for him.

jipops
Not the blowout you expected, huh?

Nope. It was looking that way for awhile tho.

I still think the cheats are the best team in the country right now. But I’ll take tonight’s win.

DukieInBrasil
There is a decent chance these teams will meet again. I’m not pumped for that at all.
and if they do meet again, there's a decent chance that Duke will have Big Ques back, which isn't insignificant.

Zion= 31 points on 13-19, 11 rebounds, 2-3 on 3s, 3-3 FTs,
RJ= 15 points on 5-15, 8 rebounds, 3-6 FTs, 7 assists and 3 turnovers
Cam= 6 pts on 3-7, 2 rebounds, 0-2 FTs, 0 assists and 5 turnovers
Tre= 11pts on 5-14, 4 rebounds, 0-0 FTs, 4 assists and 2 turnovers

Jordan had 4 points on 2-2 but played terrific defense on the cheats Cam.
Vrank had 2 points on 1-1, had 2 assists and 1 block and he played good defense as well.

Without those 2 role players, we lose this game by double digits.

GoDuke!
this can't be repeated enough. Those two guys changed the game. They didn't pile up big stats but they made important plays that changed the momentum.

Steven43
03-16-2019, 12:03 AM
Baker with 50- simple. He has a lot left in the tank.

Baker looking good on the bench. I’m glad he didn’t redshirt.

Reilly
ACC Tournament titles by decade

50's: 0
60's: 4
70's: 1
80's: 3
90's: 2
00's: 7
10's: 3 or 4

J4Kop99
I just cannot get over how poorly Cam Reddish has played, Goldwire should start over him for the simple reason that Goldwire can play defense without being a complete liability on offense. Reddish should right now be a spot up shooter on offense and that's it, his drives are 33% of the time an offensive foul, 33% of the time he loses the ball, and he maybe hits 50% of the time he actually gets a shot off, which means he succeeds 1 out of 6 times.

I was told there would be no math.

-we will need Cam to play better to win an NCAA championship. He has been huge for us at times this year, I have no doubt he will find his confidence again. I love what goldwire has been doing and he deserves a ton of credit but Cam has earned the right to play through his issues right now... in my humble opinion.

jv001
I'm waiting for it to Weezie...my gosh my heart is in my throat one second and in my feet the next....we really weathered the storm in first half...game ball to Zion and Coach K and Vrank and Goldwire. I played golf today with about 39 other guys and I think I was the only Duke guy...all UNC, UVA and Georgia. Stayed strong and can't wait to see them all again

You are a brave soul. I bet the cheat fans were the worse. I hope you played well. GoDuke!

curtis325
lunardi gave us a 1?

we're screwed.

It's a lock!

Troublemaker
03-16-2019, 12:04 AM

Oh, come on. Every additional time we play UNC, the result will get better because circumstances will continue to get better.

1st game -- Zion injured in the first minute, no time to adjust.

2nd game -- Zion still out, but we have preparation time to play without him.

3rd game -- Zion is back, but Duke hasn't gelled yet since it's just his 2nd game back. Also, Marques is out.

4th game -- Zion still back, Marques back, Duke has finally gelled?

I will still root for UNC to lose early because that's what I always do. But I wouldn't be afraid of another game with them anymore than I would any other Final Four opponent.

Keep in mind Duke's defense has controlled them for 3 straight games now.

Skydog

I agree in theory. Honestly I’m just worried about Zion playing so many minutes in three days. He pushes himself so hard and he was grabbing his back at the end of the game.

kako

This is a joke, right?

9F

weezie
03-16-2019, 12:05 AM
That's why it's a team sport I guess.

uh_no
03-16-2019, 12:06 AM
This is a joke, right?

9F

maybe he'll offer to stop posting on DBR should any of them play?

Reilly
03-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Duke's ACCT championship game losses by decade

50's: 1
60's: 4
70's: 1
80's: 2
90's: 2
00's: 1
10's: 1 or 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

Nick
"By the rivers of Charlotte-town
Where the Heels sat down
And there they wept
When they remembered Zion"
--The Melodians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcbyzqILd8

kako
maybe he'll offer to stop posting on DBR should any of them play?

Yeah, I want to know. Anyone who says Duke should throw away the chance for an ACC Championship doesn't get it at all.

9F

Duke76
03-16-2019, 12:09 AM
You are a brave soul. I bet the cheat fans were the worse. I hope you played well. GoDuke!

aren't we all used to it.... Uva fans aren't far behind...but you know the UNC guys don't really mean it when the complement our team...but I don't really mean it when I do the same...Ga guys favor us over UNC at least the ones I know...

DU82
03-16-2019, 12:10 AM
Press conferences were carried live on WRAL. Coach said there’s a chance to get Marques back for next weekend, but couldn’t say for sure.

Lots of praise for JGold, along with Antonio, and of course Zion.

mattman91
03-16-2019, 12:11 AM
BEHOLD...

https://youtu.be/UM4lV-WTvFM

Danke Shane
Oh, come on. Every additional time we play UNC, the result will continue to get better because circumstances will continue to get better.

Also, you’d have to think that after 3 games of Heels flopping upon the first instance of contact, our game planning would be able to prepare for that strategy in a round 4...

Furniture
The in game thread was yet again horrible. Some of y’all should be banned for some of the garbage I read in that thing. It’s pathetic.

Duke really needs to cut down the turnovers. It seems they always occur at the absolute worst times when the momentum is all duke. But great win. Zion is something else and gets better every minute.

The Chat room was really bad. When I started posting on this forum about 7 years ago I made some posts criticizing the players and got a strong hand slap from the mods. Since then I have really brought into the ethos of this forum. For that reason I find the DBR chat difficult sometimes. Tonight was another of those inappropriate, disgusting nights.

ChrisP
03-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Keep in mind, this was a win against a legit top 5 team and we were without Bolden and it was Zion's second game back AND Cam was awful and Javin missed 2 point blank bunnies. I have no illusions we're going to suddenly become good 3pt shhoting team but do have faith we can be better from the FT line. Excited for the rest of the season

uh_no
03-16-2019, 12:13 AM
The Chat room was really bad. When I started posting on this forum about 7 years ago I made some posts criticizing the players and got a strong hand slap from the mods. Since then I have really brought into the ethos of this forum. For that reason I find the DBR chat difficult sometimes. Tonight was another of those inappropriate, disgusting nights.

i don't even bother with the in-game thread...let alone the chat. not worth it.

Saratoga2
03-16-2019, 12:14 AM
I thought RJ had a poor second half. took bad shots, turned the ball over and missed key fts. I wonder if the time the ball was going out of bounds off UNC and he grabbed it with his foot on the line was counted as a TO. What was he thinking. He needs to get somme time and see what he was doing. He has great talent but he also makes some dumb plays.

roywhite
03-16-2019, 12:15 AM
How many players make that follow-up shot that Zion did in the final minute? (yeah, okay, maybe Marvin Bagley)

In a heavyweight battle that tested the stamina of both teams, Duke had the best heavyweight.

ns7
03-16-2019, 12:15 AM
Also, you’d have to think that after 3 games of Heels flopping upon the first instance of contact, our game planning would be able to prepare for that strategy in a round 4...

They were all bad, but the one on Tre was especially awful.

mph
03-16-2019, 12:16 AM

100% agree with this. The in-game thread is substituting for some posters’ internal monologue. It’s unbearably negative almost every game that isn’t a blowout victory. From reading the thread you’d never know we are one of a handful of teams with a legitimate shot of winning the national title.

scottdude8
03-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Press conferences were carried live on WRAL. Coach said there’s a chance to get Marques back for next weekend, but couldn’t say for sure.

Lots of praise for JGold, along with Antonio, and of course Zion.

That is HUGE Marques news. I love Javin’s motor and rebounding but he needs to be playing 10-15 minutes a game, not 20-25. And Marques finishes a handful of buckets that Javin/others couldn’t. Once my adrenaline recedes I’ll sleep better tonight after hearing that.

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 12:17 AM
Y'all need to shut this wanker-word down about sitting our best players for tomorrow night.

Tomorrow night is the goal. A championship game.

A Natty is nice but, we're already in the Championship game. K would say you win those games.

You kids these days.

jv001
03-16-2019, 12:20 AM
I thought RJ had a poor second half. took bad shots, turned the ball over and missed key fts. I wonder if the time the ball was going out of bounds off UNC and he grabbed it with his foot on the line was counted as a TO. What was he thinking. He needs to get somme time and see what he was doing. He has great talent but he also makes some dumb plays.

I hate to call a Duke player out, but there were times RJ was just looking at the play and not reacting. I wish he had the desire and energy Zion does. Matter of fact, the desire Jordan does. He also took a long 3 pointer at the end of the game when Zion was destroying the cheats inside. Just not good basketball IQ. GoDuke!

curtis325
How many players make that follow-up shot that Zion did in the final minute? (yeah, okay, maybe Marvin Bagley)

In a heavyweight battle that tested the stamina of both teams, Duke had the best heavyweight.

That followup was Bagleyesque.

weezie
BEHOLD...

https://youtu.be/UM4lV-WTvFM

Lol, thought it was the presser. Hahaha

ns7
03-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Isn't the ACC tournament title one of our goals every year? I think K has them as ACC regular season title, ACC title, Final Four, NCAA title. Maybe add preseason tournament title (Maui this season).

This team has not achieved any potential goals yet. Tomorrow is their first chance.

BandAlum83
03-16-2019, 12:22 AM
Lol, thought it was the presser. Hahaha

No, it was just a time wasting bald link!

Durham Blue Devil
03-16-2019, 12:23 AM
I’m 70 years old today. I aged 23 years in one night.

Jipops, I have been on this board reading your posts for what seems like forever. I know you mean well but you are without a doubt the most consistently negative Duke fan I have ever witnessed...and I’m a realist and trend towards the negative side. Your pre l-game and in game comments are so negative they are laughable. I assume it’s a defense mechanism but wow, it’s exhausting to constantly read your posts.

Happy birthday - enjoy it as I know you already prefigure Florida State to win it all before the game tonight.

Dukehk

It ain't his first dance ya know ;)

Coach will prepare us for the big game. Lets all just pray that we dont pick up anymore injuries.

In yesteryears, it wasn't necessary to win the ACC tournament for us to secure a 1 seed, but this year we really do need to in order to get the overall #1.

g4orce
Curious... is Delaurier sick? Coach K made an interesting comment in the presser that... "he gets tired."

He doesn't get a ton of minutes, and he's young, so why would he get tired? I may be reading too much into it but even my wife asked earlier in the game if he was sick. The way K said it was almost apologetic in tone. Odd.

brevity
presser up yet?

Press conferences were carried live on WRAL.

Bald link: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-unc-meet-with-media-after-acc-semifinals/18263257/

Utley
03-16-2019, 12:25 AM
I have tickets to a concert - no way I’m going.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:25 AM

I'm not on call. :o

weezie
03-16-2019, 12:26 AM

Granted, there are several world experts on basketball play and strategy and demeanor and heart and defense and overall "look" in there but there still is brevity's Coveted Halftime Trivia Challenge Cup.

uh_no
03-16-2019, 12:26 AM

agree 100%. rough game. was unhappy with some of the threes he took, and some big mental mistkaes. I think he's still finding his place with Zion back. With a week to go, hope he gets it.

Also, don't think the importance of having MB on the low block can be understated. Delaurier has a lot of value, but there are some things that bolden does that he cannot (like finish).

Durham Blue Devil
03-16-2019, 12:27 AM

Only Duke fan that fears the next time they play rather than enjoys the W the bright of the big win. Time to stop and enjoy rather than fear the future. go Duke!

ncexnyc
03-16-2019, 12:28 AM
I'm on my second stiff Monkey Shoulder and don't know if that will bring my heart rate down to normal, but this was one heck of a game.

I love how we fought back from 13 down in the 1st half. A trait we've shown all season long, but on the flip side we also have shown the ability to turn prosperity into adversity, which we did several times in the second half.

Who in their right mind would ever think Jordan Goldwire would ever get so many minutes in a game that he'd cramp-up? Kudos to Roy for only posting up Cam Johnson once in the game and that might have been by luck instead of design.

I'm glad we got to see so many minutes from Nassir "I Can't Carry Zion's Jock" Little. I knew the more he played, the more he'd try to prove he was worthy of his ranking and his ego would get the best of him.

I'm glad we won, so that I don't have to say bad things about several of our players.;)

As I said earlier today, "It's not about style points, but whether you advance or not." Bring on FSU!

Utley

I doubt that happens but I hear you. Tonight was the game that mattered

ChillinDuke
Holy moly!!!

That was the game we, the world even, have been waiting for all season but have been robbed by injuries. Duke v UNC at or near full health. And the game absolutely delivered.

It was almost perfect even. UNC got out to a lead, and we looked almost the same as the first two editions, before we started to dig in. You could feel the momentum slowly change, inch by inch, play by play. You could feel the team figuring out the infuriatingly productive system that UNC runs. And then the stops started. And then we even pushed out a lead!

But UNC, the good team that they are, fought back. And we did too. To watch a game like that at that level at this time of year with the background and context that we all know too well was a true treat and a wonderful pleasure.

A fantastic game.

Credit to UNC. And, unfortunately, to Roy. He's done an excellent job this year.

But Zion Williamson is otherworldly. He has unquestionably locked up what I expect is a unanimous (across publications) NPOY with his play these last two games. Duke has also almost unquestionably locked up a coveted 1 seed after tonight.

A weird version of the Death Lineup got it done tonight. Goldwire wow. So, so proud of that performance. But we need more than that to win a natty.

RJ was good, but we need great. And if we don't get great, well then we need Cam to be good. He was not. Tre was kinda what Tre is: sensational, mostly, on defense and consistently OK on offense.

Lastly, our 3pt shooters (if you will) are never interested in a quick, in rhythm shot. Jack, AOC, JGold, even Tre. I don't know why we aren't willing to shoot an in rhythm three. Maybe because we are so conditioned that were bad at it. But that's a major issue for this team. I don't know that it's easily fixable at this point, but an observation nonetheless.

What a game. I'm on cloud 9.

- Chillin

Jay29
03-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Anybody else still drinking? Throwing Shade here. Go Devils!!!!!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, I know I am, friend!

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 12:30 AM
Curious... is Delaurier sick? Coach K made an interesting comment in the presser that... "he gets tired."
Translation: The meth wears off.

He can be super hyper at times (tweaking) and that's where those derp-plays originate. JDL's weakness is between his ears. He's a freakish athlete. A little more thought and he's Amile 2.0.

(Don't @ me, I'm joking about the the meth. But, you gotta admit, he's one jittery son-of-a-gun at times.)

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:30 AM
Is it better for my heart that I wasn't able to watch it live?

Yes. I'm watching the DVR after a looong night's sleep.

sagegrouse
03-16-2019, 12:31 AM

Agree. Not to be crude -- but I am watching the game. Why do I need someone else's opinion of what I see?

Native
03-16-2019, 12:32 AM
I'm on my second stiff Monkey Shoulder and don't know if that will bring my heart rate down to normal, but this was one heck of a game.

Thanks to my trusty Apple Watch I happen to know that my heart rate got up to 181 BPM during the final possession.

I should probably see a doctor.

weezie
03-16-2019, 12:33 AM
...I'm glad we got to see so many minutes from Nassir "I Can't Carry Zion's Jock" Little. I knew the more he played, the more he'd try to prove he was worthy of his ranking and his ego would get the best of him...

Gosh, he is a mopey pants whiner. Just a donkeyrear.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:33 AM
You've got Ebola. I'm a doctor on DBR.

I'm calling bovine shenanigans on that one. :p

KandG
03-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Wow, all sorts of emotions after that win. First 6 to 8 minutes were ugly and so were the last 6 to 8 minutes. But I'll take it.

Vrank and Goldwire giving us those minutes, as everyone has noted, were HUGE. i wasn't sure we were going to get enough offense with Vrank, Tre and JG in the game and spotting UNC 33 points in the first 13+ minutes of the half. Goldwire's play has just been inspiring throughout this tournament, which is why I didn't even blink when he started the second half instead of Reddish.

Reddish is going to be the death of me. Makes a basket and is fouled to put us up 52-46. After the timeout, has a chance to put us up 7 and really establish some separation. Instead misses the FT and then commits 2 turnovers and UNC comes back and ties it. The best version of this team needs him to be better than the turnover-prone mess he's been too often.

Have to give UNC credit, they kept fighting even though we defended them much better in the second half. But they helped us out by settling for a lot of jumpers (though we defended many of those well too), which showed in how we avoided putting UNC in the bonus until very late in the game.

Not going to give this team much grief for being so painful on offense late in the game given the nerves, the fatigue, and Zion still being integrated back into the team. (I also get that we have such a transcendent offensive talent that K felt comfortable going with a more defensive unit even if it killed the spacing). But come the actual NCAA tournament, the coaching staff has to find a way to space the floor better for Zion and RJ -- Tre taking 14 shots, especially the standstill 3 pointers and runners with the shot clock running down, is just too much.

Some of that would be solved with Cam being a little more disciplined and getting more production out of the dunker spot (either Bolden returning or Javin making some of those bunnies he missed tonight). As for other bench options, it may be too late to hope for a comeback from AOC or Jack or the Burned Redshirt That Shall Not Be Named.

It's wonderful watching Zion -- really it's amazing how many non-Duke people, people not even that much into college basketball, all over social media are marveling at him. But please Duke coaches and Zion teammates, don't make him carry us like this for the rest of March. Let's get more balance going starting tomorrow against Florida State.

Side note: For the neutral, that was a fabulous game...I'm sure the ratings will be through the roof. Also, I know there's a bit of Javin criticism for some of his questionable decisions and foul trouble, but he had some big moments at the end of the game (taking the charge, grabbing rebounds, deflecting the last Little tip of White's shot) and managed to stay in the game. I think he's going to maintain a big role if we get to the Final Four, even when Bolden comes back.

weezie
03-16-2019, 12:35 AM
...Why do I need someone else's opinion of what I see?

But sage! I tell my family all the time that they are entitled to my opinion!

Saratoga2
03-16-2019, 12:36 AM
Zion defended Luke Maye mostly. Luke went from 30 points in the last game to 14 tonight on 7 for 18 shootiing and o for 3 from 3 pt distance. Another aspect of Zion's game that isn't fully appreciated.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:37 AM
Paging devildeac

LOL. Not on call tonight. Plus, I just finished a 12% ABV imperial stout.

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 12:38 AM
I'm calling bovine shenanigans on that one. :p
LOL. Nothing gets past you doc. ;)

jv001
03-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Wow, all sorts of emotions after that win. First 6 to 8 minutes were ugly and so were the last 6 to 8 minutes. But I'll take it.

Vrank and Goldwire giving us those minutes, as everyone has noted, were HUGE. i wasn't sure we were going to get enough offense with Vrank, Tre and JG in the game and spotting UNC 33 points in the first 13+ minutes of the half. Goldwire's play has just been inspiring throughout this tournament, which is why I didn't even blink when he started the second half instead of Reddish.

Reddish is going to be the death of me. Makes a basket and is fouled to put us up 52-46. After the timeout, has a chance to put us up 7 and really establish some separation. Instead misses the FT and then commits 2 turnovers and UNC comes back and ties it. The best version of this team needs him to be better than the turnover-prone mess he's been too often.

Have to give UNC credit, they kept fighting even though we defended them much better in the second half. But they helped us out by settling for a lot of jumpers (though we defended many of those well too), which showed in how we avoided putting UNC in the bonus until very late in the game.

Not going to give this team much grief for being so painful on offense late in the game given the nerves, the fatigue, and Zion still being integrated back into the team. (I also get that we have such a transcendent offensive talent that K felt comfortable going with a more defensive unit even if it killed the spacing). But come the actual NCAA tournament, the coaching staff has to find a way to space the floor better for Zion and RJ -- Tre taking 14 shots, especially the standstill 3 pointers and runners with the shot clock running down, is just too much.

Some of that would be solved with Cam being a little more disciplined and getting more production out of the dunker spot (either Bolden returning or Javin making some of those bunnies he missed tonight). As for other bench options, it may be too late to hope for a comeback from AOC or Jack or the Burned Redshirt That Shall Not Be Named.

It's wonderful watching Zion -- really it's amazing how many non-Duke people, people not even that much into college basketball, all over social media are marveling at him. But please Duke coaches and Zion teammates, don't make him carry us like this for the rest of March. Let's get more balance going starting tomorrow against Florida State.

Side note: For the neutral, that was a fabulous game...I'm sure the ratings will be through the roof. Also, I know there's a bit of Javin criticism for some of his questionable decisions and foul trouble, but he had some big moments at the end of the game (taking the charge, grabbing rebounds, deflecting the last Little tip of White's shot) and managed to stay in the game. I think he's going to maintain a big role if we get to the Final Four, even when Bolden comes back.

I thought Javin played decent but he's so weak with the ball. He made some plays along the way that contributed to the win. I wish we had Bolden for the tall Seminoles. GoDuke!

weezie
Bald link: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-unc-meet-with-media-after-acc-semifinals/18263257/

Thanks brev, can't spork anymore tonight!

lol, K shutting down the dunk ranking joking between Zion and RJ. Stop that dopiness men! You see how young they are.

dukelifer
I hate to call a Duke player out, but there were times RJ was just looking at the play and not reacting. I wish he had the desire and energy Zion does. Matter of fact, the desire Jordan does. He also took a long 3 pointer at the end of the game when Zion was destroying the cheats inside. Just not good basketball IQ. GoDuke!
He has plenty of desire. He also hit some big shots- that pull up three being one. RJ is not a perfect player but he is really good and I never question his desire to win. If you want to call out anyone it is Cam for all the unforced TO’s. He has played well against UNC but not tonight. I am sure UNC fans also get frustrated by Little- who can follow a good play with a bad one. Great win- but tomorrow is a gut check. Duke will need a few unexpected folks to step up like tonight. I think Baker is getting in tomorrow - I think this is the game.

sagegrouse
03-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Thanks to my trusty Apple Watch I happen to know that my heart rate got up to 181 BPM during the final possession.

Well, let's see.... Hmmmmm.... Is it 220 minus age equals max heart rate. I think you got a lot to spare.

OTOH, if I had a rate of 181, I'd be in red figures so far the paramedics would just stare at me.

Troublemaker
03-16-2019, 12:40 AM

Unfortunately, Cam's only 39% on twos and 33% on threes. Gotta say, after JGold started the 2nd half over Cam, I thought we were in firm control of the game and was allowing myself to think about a comfortable 15-pt victory or so. But then came the substitutions.

Of course, maybe UNC battles back regardless, and it's unrealistic to expect little-used subs to all of a sudden go the full 20 minutes in a half.

Utley
03-16-2019, 12:41 AM
What a classic. Probably not popular here to say but UNC is the real deal and could win this whole
thing. That was a great game tonight - so jealous of any of you who were there.

K won the game with the Goldwire on Johnson move - it is all about the D this year. Vranks contribution was unreal vs what you could expect under the circumstances - Wow. Seniors!!

Our season depends on Cam - which has me nervous. I think k too late to ask too much from him. Shoot stand up 3 and play good D - as long as you don’t turn it over I am happy.

I do think today’s win discounts all the losss without Zion and locks up a 1. Win tomorrow and lock up the East.

My favorite season ever - come what may. What a ride and what a game tonight - a special night!

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Just watched the final possession... We owe this game to Javin. He appears to slap the ball directly into the backboard as Little approached to stick it back.

Incredible.

heyman25
03-16-2019, 12:43 AM
Cam is an enigma. He has a lot of issues on the court. Every once in a while he will make a play,but his turnover rate is awful.He can't even make free throws. Maybe not starting him will send a message next game. Feel bad that he can't step up,but he rarely does. Jordan Goldwire and Antonio are new go to options.

Utley
03-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Cam is an enigma. He has a lot of issues on the court. Every once in a while he will make a play,but bhis turnover rate is awful.He can't even make free throws.

Would love to see his +/- vs Goldwire.

jv001
03-16-2019, 12:44 AM
He has plenty of desire. He also hit some big shots- that pull up three being one. RJ is not a perfect player but he is really good and I never question his desire to win. If you want to call out anyone it is Cam for all the unforced TO’s. He has played well against UNC but not tonight. I am sure UNC fans also get frustrated by Little- who can follow a good play with a bad one. Great win- but tomorrow is a gut check. Duke will need a few unexpected folks to step up like tonight. I think Baker is getting in tomorrow - I think this is the game.

I recorded the game and was able to back up the play to see missed defensive assignments and RJ had a few of those. I didn't say he was lazy or anything like that. I just said I wish he had the energy that Zion or Jordan has. Maybe desire was the wrong word. GoDuke!

TNTDevil
03-16-2019, 12:49 AM
What a classic. Probably not popular here to say but UNC is the real deal and could win this whole
thing. That was a great game tonight - so jealous of any of you who were there.No doubt, they can really score, more than enough to overcome their defensive liabilities. White is just amazing. Cam Johnson- see my up-thread comment.

K won the game with the Goldwire on Johnson move - it is all about the D this year. Vranks contribution was unreal vs what you could expect under the circumstances - Wow. Seniors!!Goldwire and Jones>Johnson and White. At least tonight. Brilliant

Our season depends on Cam - which has me nervous. I think k too late to ask too much from him. Shoot stand up 3 and play good D - as long as you don’t turn it over I am happy.Meh. He plays good defense. I'm liking what's happening with our bench. Just imagine Jack, AOC and yes, Baker <snicker> get hot from the floor.

I do think today’s win discounts all the losss without Zion and locks up a 1. Win tomorrow and lock up the East.

My favorite season ever - come what may. What a ride and what a game tonight - a special night!I made an argument on a list-serve when folks where proclaiming our death when down 13. 13 is nothing for this team. I'd rather not get down 13 but, if we do, I'm confident we can fight back. It's kinda our thing.

Furniture
03-16-2019, 12:50 AM
Agree. Not to be crude -- but I am watching the game. Why do I need someone else's opinion of what I see?

Why even post on this forum then?

please don’t defend the chat room. It’s obnoxious and not a good representation of what this place is.

KandG
03-16-2019, 12:51 AM
I thought Javin played decent but he's so weak with the ball. He made some plays along the way that contributed to the win. I wish we had Bolden for the tall Seminoles. GoDuke!

I actually think Javin's improved a bit in holding onto the ball but I agree he's not going to do too much with the ball in traffic -- sometimes you just have to kick it out if you're not going to be able to draw the foul.

For me, his biggest issue remains the inability to avoid silly fouls: just doesn't have the body control to challenge wing shooters or cut off drivers cleanly at the baseline without fouling (his fourth foul drove me crazy). Kind of the defensive equivalent of Cam, who can't avoid running into defenders on offense.

Then again, we're super spoiled by Zion, who moves that 280 pounds on offense and defense like a finely tuned race car and manages to avoid fouling while bulldozing and intimidating the opponent on both ends.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:52 AM
LOL. Nothing gets past you doc. ;)

Maybe a couple of ribs or burgers...

:p

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Not worth the co-pay. Try this at home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

bigperm13
03-16-2019, 12:56 AM
Every in-game thread now is a tragedy. Should be locked once it’s tipped. Don’t want to put it in chat then keep it to yourself. Absolutely pitiful.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Well, let's see... Hmmmmm... Is it 220 minus age equals max heart rate. I think you got a lot to spare.

OTOH, if I had a rate of 181, I'd be in red figures so far the paramedics would just stare at me.

I'd start at 200 J:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardioversion

Skydog
03-16-2019, 12:58 AM
No doubt, they can really score, more than enough to overcome their defensive liabilities. White is just amazing. Cam Johnson- see my up-thread comment.

Goldwire and Jones>Johnson and White. At least tonight. Brilliant

Meh. He plays good defense. I'm liking what's happening with our bench. Just imagine Jack, AOC and yes, Baker <snicker> get hot from the floor.

I made an argument on a list-serve when folks where proclaiming our death when down 13. 13 is nothing for this team. I'd rather not get down 13 but, if we do, I'm confident we can fight back. It's kinda our thing.

Same here - down 13 didn't me worry at all. Going into the game I was only worried about turnovers and foul trouble benching either Zion or RJ. Figured we would win if we avoided those two bugaboos. We stayed out of foul trouble and pushed the turnover issue to the absolute limit.... but the gods and Zion were with us. :)

weezie
03-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Oh boy, Roy touchy, touchy in the presser.

kako
03-16-2019, 01:00 AM

Thanks for this!

K felt that introducing JGold was the turning point of the game due his ability to get back on D to stop their breaks.

K said that Vrank probably didn't expect to play at all in the game. But K said his attitude has always been good, and all he asks is that the players be ready to come in and give energy to the starters.

K said that the lineup with Vrank and JGold was not one they had ever planned for, but that they deserved to start the 2nd half. He said that DeLaurier expends so much energy that he gets tired, so Vrank played important minutes.

K said he's hoping for Bolden back next week, but to me he sounded more hopeful than certain.

Cam Johnson is a well spoken kid. Both he and Roy were gracious in defeat. Roy called out JGold as being really important in the game.

Some idiot sportswriter asked Zion and RJ about rating Zion's dunks. K shut that down quickly.

9F

ns7
03-16-2019, 01:01 AM
We held UNC to one ppp again. This time we had Zion!

Some ugly ortgs this game with Cam the lowest in the 40s.

Big props to the defense on Coby White, and not just the last possession. His rating was in the 70s with only a 29% eFG%!

84Duke
03-16-2019, 01:01 AM
A win absolves all sins. A win against Carolina really absolves all sins. But there were a lot of sins in this one. I realize the pressure, and the quality of the opponent, but Duke needs to tighten up its game in several areas - because the road is not getting any easier from here on out.

Reddevil
03-16-2019, 01:07 AM
My observations:

1) Bolden would have been a huge asset in this game.
2) Javin needs to hit the weights hard this summer. He does some nice things, but he needs the confidence that comes with strength.
3) I don't think krlyna can play better, but Duke can.
Great win. Earned a #1 seed.
An ACC Championship banner would be nice. It's been a while.

Steven43
03-16-2019, 01:12 AM
I can’t like anyone who puts on the Duke uniform, but I am in awe of Zion. I can’t think of any college player I have watched that has such an impact on the game. There have been lots of guys who put up big numbers, but he’s way more than that. Just amazing. The sooner he is in the NBA, the better.

Don’t say that. Don’t you ever say that. Stay here, Zion. Stay as long as you can. You’ve got to cherish it — cherish your time at Duke.

—Billy Madison

Kfanarmy
03-16-2019, 01:13 AM
My observations:

1) Bolden would have been a huge asset in this game.
2) Javin needs to hit the weights hard this summer. He does some nice things, but he needs the confidence that comes with strength.
3) I don't think krlyna can play better, but Duke can.
Great win. Earned a #1 seed.

I think Javin could be a beast next year. Works hard. Still maturing physically. Hope the switch flips a bit for him over the summer.

fan345678
03-16-2019, 01:16 AM
LOL. Not on call tonight. Plus, I just finished a 12% ABV imperial stout.

Which one? I've got a 15% that I'm pondering but might save until tomorrow (from Aslin near DC)

Jay29
03-16-2019, 01:17 AM
I think Javin could be a beast next year. Works hard. Still maturing physically. Hope the switch flips a bit for him over the summer.

Hope so! Sometimes the switch really flips on for that senior season. But for now he just needs to do his thing, hit the boards, and stay outta foul trouble!

Kedsy
03-16-2019, 01:19 AM
ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 72.7 (the game started off fast, then slowed down considerably; this is almost exactly Duke's adjusted season pace, but a bit slower than UNC likes to play)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.02 (crazy as it sounds, this was by far our best offensive performance against UNC in three games this season; adjusted it's 1.16, which actually isn't so bad in general)
eFG%: 51.5% (not so good but not awful)
3pt%: 25.0% (obviously bad, but for this year's Duke team, just a bit below average)
2pt%: 57.8% (good)
%threes: 30.8% (by far our fewest percentage of threes against UNC this season; when you shoot 25%, this is a very good number here)
FT rate: 20.0% (somewhat weak)
OR%: 26.3% (very weak)
TO%: 16.5% (room to improve, but this is acceptable)
a/to: 1.25:1
%assisted: 48.4%
fast break pts: 11 (14.9% of our points)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.00 (adjusted that's 0.85, this was really good for the 3rd time against UNC, especially considering they put up an unadjusted 1.33 in the first 8 minutes)
eFG%: 42.5% (really good)
3pt%: 14.8% (2nd fabulous number in three UNC games)
2pt%: 54.3% (weak)
%threes: 37.0% (fine when they're shooting 15%, especially since so many of their threes were poorly conceived shots)
FT rate: 20.5% (good)
DR%: 64.4% (not good)
TO%: 11.0% (very weak; my biggest disappointment of our defense tonight)
a/to: 1.65:1
%assisted: 44.8%
fast break pts: 20 (27.4% of their points; actually this is probably my biggest disappointment - I don't have the other numbers in front of me but this was one of our worst fast break defense performances of the season, if not the worst)
block%: 8.2%; 13.0% of 2-point shots (even without Marques, this team can block shots)
steal%: 8.3% (feh)

Nothing perfect on either side, but overall a strong performance on D and a much better performance on O than last week.

fan345678
03-16-2019, 01:22 AM

Agreed. As an '02 alum, I can affirm that two years is entirely too long to wait.

pokeresq
03-16-2019, 01:34 AM
While the normal narrative, including by Jay, is that the Cheats get more bench minutes, tonight we had 47 and they had 30. Unfortunately, RJ and Tre played 40 and Zion played 35. In contrast FSU had 62 bench minutes. While I think the extra long tv timeouts can suck the life out of tournament arenas, I will be thankful for them versus the Noles.

Coballs
03-16-2019, 01:52 AM
My observations:

Well 2 years...but that's still way too long.

Skydog
03-16-2019, 02:09 AM
While the normal narrative, including by Jay, is that the Cheats get more bench minutes, tonight we had 47 and they had 30. Unfortunately, RJ and Tre played 40 and Zion played 35. In contrast FSU had 62 bench minutes. While I think the extra long tv timeouts can suck the life out of tournament arenas, I will be thankful for them versus the Noles.

Yep, that was probably the most surprising stat of all to me. Probably could have won a lot of money betting Duke would play a deeper rotation than the cheats in an ACC semifinal.

BigZ
03-16-2019, 02:25 AM
Crazy stat of the night. Six games have been decided by one point between Duke vs UNC. Duke has won all six games

Hancock 4 Duke
03-16-2019, 02:42 AM

I see where you’re coming from, but unforced turnovers, albeit frustrating, are a product of being “raw” which Cam absolutely is. For RJ, however, his lackadaisical effort on defense has become more and more apparent throughout the season, which is frustrating because that is 100% controllable. Sure, he has a “desire to win” but who doesn’t? We know he wants to win, we just wish he’d make it more apparent. There are 4-5 standout plays from every game where he blatantly gives up on the defensive play.

ncexnyc
03-16-2019, 03:29 AM
This game was a massive blow to the Cheats. Had they won, the asterisk besides their previous two wins against Duke would have been removed, however with the loss those asterisks become even more pronounced.

PackMan97
03-16-2019, 04:33 AM
Congrats Duke. I caught a few minutes of the second half before I remembered I was boycotting those *@#% *@#%@ing cheaters from Chapel Hill. I hate them all the more because it sounds like I didn't get to watch a fantastic game in which they had their hearts ripped out, but also because it seems like there are so many pansy blue cheater fans that don't give a flip that they cheat to win. I hates them so much.

9f
9f
9f
9f
9f

Thank you Duke, for at least one night helping push back the darkness.

subzero02
03-16-2019, 06:35 AM
thing. That was a great game tonight - so jealous of any of you who were there.

K won the game with the Goldwire on Johnson move - it is all about the D this year. Vranks contribution was unreal vs what you could expect under the circumstances - Wow. Seniors!!

Our season depends on Cam - which has me nervous. I think k too late to ask too much from him. Shoot stand up 3 and play good D - as long as you don’t turn it over I am happy.

My favorite season ever - come what may. What a ride and what a game tonight - a special night!

I completely agree... there might be a round 4(christian's pregame interview might have been foreshadowing ).

DUKIE V(A)
03-16-2019, 06:45 AM

More important things than competing for an ACC Title? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Putting these players in bubble wrap is not the answer. ACC Championship aside, Duke will get better by competing at the highest level. FSU is a Final Four caliber team and a great test. I don’t expect anything less than our best effort with all our best players on the floor.

DUKIE V(A)
03-16-2019, 06:49 AM

I think I like what you’re doing here but tell us about it after the season.

DUKIE V(A)
03-16-2019, 06:55 AM

Love what Goldwire brings and his toughness will be invaluable today but Duke won’t win today without Cam. I am glad Coach K has more confidence Cam than many of us. Maybe time to start a “Should Jordan start over Cam?” Thread ... seemed to work before the last FSU game.

jjc92
03-16-2019, 06:57 AM
After watching the game I’m not really sure why the ball doesn’t go inside to Williamson or another post player, every time on offense. We had a 6 point lead and then turned the ball over on three straight possessions. I’d rather take my chances getting the ball inside and kicking it out to open shooters, rather then Cam or Rj take wild threes or initiate the offense.

devilnfla
03-16-2019, 07:14 AM
Who says we don’t have a bench? Wow!

Just imagine if we could get anything from AOC or Jack White on a consistent basis.

Bob Green
03-16-2019, 07:20 AM
I was wrong:

We will need to shoot better on 3 PT FG to win tonight:

1st Game: 8-39 (20.5%)
2nd Game: 8-32 (25%)

We shot 5-20 (25%) and won. We also shot under 50% overall. Carolina out rebounded us and committed less turnovers but shot worse than we did. In the final analysis, the only stat that matters is the score.

weezie
03-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Unless a third player can become more consistent from the field it's still going to swing too much on free throws, too. Cam is right there, Tre makes some crucial baskets but defenders are still cheating going two on RJ and three on Zion in the paint. ACC teams have seen them up close, the 63 (yes, ok the Dayton teams, too) other teams will try the same but most can't keep that up.

devildeac
03-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Which one? I've got a 15% that I'm pondering but might save until tomorrow (from Aslin near DC)

This one:

If you check the Ymm, Beer thread later this AM, I'll have a review posted. Then you "can" let us know about your 15% brew. ;)

dukelifer
03-16-2019, 07:56 AM

I heard Zion is going to leave a little of his for Javin as a parting gift.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2019, 08:00 AM
After watching the game I’m not really sure why the ball doesn’t go inside to Williamson or another post player, every time on offense. We had a 6 point lead and then turned the ball over on three straight possessions. I’d rather take my chances getting the ball inside and kicking it out to open shooters, rather then Cam or Rj take wild threes or initiate the offense.

AMEN, preach

jipops
03-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Jipops, I have been on this board reading your posts for what seems like forever. I know you mean well but you are without a doubt the most consistently negative Duke fan I have ever witnessed...and I’m a realist and trend towards the negative side. Your pre l-game and in game comments are so negative they are laughable. I assume it’s a defense mechanism but wow, it’s exhausting to constantly read your posts.

Happy birthday - enjoy it as I know you already prefigure Florida State to win it all before the game tonight.

It’s not my birthday. Just pointing out that was intense.

I didn’t think I was being inaccurate pointing out the team’s deficiencies over the last few games, just one-sided I guess.

As I also said in the other thread, that may have been the ACC title right there. I feel good about today.

dukelifer
03-16-2019, 08:12 AM
It’s not my birthday. Just pointing out that was intense.

I didn’t think I was being inaccurate pointing out the team’s deficiencies over the last few games, just one-sided I guess.

As I also said in the other thread, that may have been the ACC title right there. I feel good about today.

This Duke team is a consistent outside shooter away from being outstanding. It has been all year. Cam has not flipped the switch that many Freshman do at this time of year. Jack did not become that guy. UNC is a slasher away- and Little is still not consistent. Whichever team’s player figures it out or has a run of good games- could take down the nets in the NCAAs.

Troublemaker
03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
More important things than competing for an ACC Title? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Putting these players in bubble wrap is not the answer. ACC Championship aside, Duke will get better by competing at the highest level.

The NCAA tournament very clearly **is** more important -- no Duke fan will be happy with a win today and a loss in the Elite 8. I disagree with DBA and think it would be embarrassing if Duke rested players, but his underlying premise is fine.

That said, Duke can perhaps help its NCAAT chances depending on how one values getting the 1-seed in the East vs getting the 1-seed in the South.

FSU is a Final Four caliber team and a great test. I don’t expect anything less than our best effort with all our best players on the floor.

No disagreement here. This game's a tossup to me -- it'd be different if we had even 1 day of rest or if Duke had gelled back to our pre-Zion-injury form but we're not there yet.

Coach K might have to pull out some tricks in his bag. A zone defense to rest our players and maybe aggressive traps out of it and/or a zone press to try to force turnovers. In years past, we've often gotten back in transition better when playing zone as well because it's easier to run to a spot with less communication required.

rocketeli
03-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Should we have "dog of the match" as well as "man of the match" on DBR?? I kid, but sometimes the post game discussions seem to turn to ragging on some particular player, usually, of course, one of the best players on the team, but that's what fans do, as Al Featherston pointed out.

Of course, the hater brigade reserves most of their attention for RJ Barrett for this reason. They're probably feeling totally frustrated that they can't find anything to hate on about Zion Williamson (but wait till he has a less than stellar game!) so they have to fall back on our second best player. Such are the vicissitudes of rooting for one of the top teams in college basketball!

weezie
03-16-2019, 08:19 AM
I'm happy to take a bullet for RJ any old time. And Cam and Tre and Jack and Javin and anyone else who has been sitting on that bench, working every day, lifting weights, running, sweating, running running running for most of their young lives.

These are all focused, tuned in players who listen to their coach with every fiber of their being.

Seriously, we have no idea. No one here could coach themselves out of a paper bag. It's all hot air here. Fun but poof, it's gone.

Coach K! How does he do it...

YmoBeThere
03-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Who would have guessed Jordan would out rebound Vrank and Vrank would out assist Jordan?

Yeah, I know small sample size from players who don’t get a lot of minutes.

Jordan has really stepped up lately and Vrank was nice to have in their to force different matchups particularly with Brooks. Brooks did a decent job on Zion when he was on him, though maybe it was the fouling.

jv001
03-16-2019, 08:24 AM

I think many on this board said the same thing last season about Javin. While he's improved, he needs strength as you noted in "still maturing physically" comment above. He did some nice things last night and we needed them with Bolden out. GoDuke!

moonpie23
03-16-2019, 08:25 AM
heels looked good.

dukelifer
03-16-2019, 08:25 AM
I see where you’re coming from, but unforced turnovers, albeit frustrating, are a product of being “raw” which Cam absolutely is. For RJ, however, his lackadaisical effort on defense has become more and more apparent throughout the season, which is frustrating because that is 100% controllable. Sure, he has a “desire to win” but who doesn’t? We know he wants to win, we just wish he’d make it more apparent. There are 4-5 standout plays from every game where he blatantly gives up on the defensive play.

It is pretty apparent that he wants to win. The kid is fearless. He is not a physical freak like Zion and he is not a defensive savant- but his overall game is as good as and Freshman we have seen at Duke. He is the center of much of the good and bad things that happen on the court because he is never out of the game. I think he takes some plays off because he is wearing down at this point of the season but does not want to show it.

summerwind03
03-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Cam's gotta bounce back.

Some of those TO's were just horrendous. But even worse was the front end miss late in the game....could have sealed it right there but instead he bricked it and then a terrible foul at the other end....if you're gonna foul to prevent a bucket...prevent the bucket!!!!!

Instead it was an and 1 that kept the came close to the end.

Cmon Cam...we need you bro.

But sage! I tell my family all the time that they are entitled to my opinion!

heels looked good.

I mean, they played well. But looked good? Certainly not!

weezie
03-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Excellent post

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2019, 08:27 AM
I think many on this board said the same thing last season about Javin. While he's improved, he needs strength as you noted in "still maturing physically" comment above. He did some nice things last night and we needed them with Bolden out. GoDuke!

What frustrates me about Javin is that he has every tool he needs to be SO MUCH BETTER than he is. He's tall. He's long. He's fast. He jumps well......when God gives you that kind of head start, you need to be a great player, not an enigmatic flake with moments of brilliance and then moments, of well, "not" brilliance. And his hands are inexcusable. Good hands in hoops is 80% mental and attitude.

weezie
03-16-2019, 08:29 AM
heels looked good.

Boy, did they.

Those 3s were lasers. Cam Johnson, holy moly. I don't care if he is 27 years old, good stuff. :cool:

But, I stand corrected. As summerwind pointed out above, they played well but they look goofy as all get out. No fashion sense at all!

devildeac
03-16-2019, 08:30 AM
heels looked good.

They'd have looked better if the final had been 94-73.

"Wood-shedding" hopes aside, I'm happy for the W. 9F 'em.

dukelifer
03-16-2019, 08:35 AM
What frustrates me about Javin is that he has every tool he needs to be SO MUCH BETTER than he is. He's tall. He's long. He's fast. He jumps well...when God gives you that kind of head start, you need to be a great player, not an enigmatic flake with moments of brilliance and then moments, of well, "not" brilliance. And his hands are inexcusable. Good hands in hoops is 80% mental and attitude.

Not sure what to say about this. I am pretty sure Javin is working his tail off. The problem with real sports is that one is dealing with human beings and in college - young developing players. We probably can all do much more with what we are given. It makes you think that maybe this basketball thing at this level is harder than it looks on TV.

slower
03-16-2019, 08:46 AM

I don't think we should ever EXPECT a good game from Cam, at this point. Anything we get from him is gravy.

stedge
03-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Rj is the engine on this team. Z is the turbo. Tre is the tranny.

Without RJ we are nowhere. That kid has put this team on his back many times. Covered for Tre. Covered for Zion. He has done it all. No one else could have done what he did.

Just like Nolan had to adjust to Kyrie’s NCAA return, so does RJ have to adjust to Z a little. And vice versa, if we are going to go far. Glad it is happening now, and not next week.

Love that we beat the cheaters. Hate that our kids are still getting hammered sometimes.

Go duke! Go TEAM!

YmoBeThere
03-16-2019, 08:54 AM
It makes you think that maybe this basketball thing at this level is harder than it looks on TV.

Umm, after shooting around on my garage hoop...this stuff is easy. Just in case, I'll stay at a Holiday Inn Express before game time,

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2019, 09:01 AM
I don't think we should ever EXPECT a good game from Cam, at this point. Anything we get from him is gravy.

Unfortunately, this is how I feel as well. Zion and RJ generate our points. If Tre scores 10, great! If Cam scores 15, we win.

He’s a turnover machine at this point. Defensively, he’s great. But that offensive game needs tons of help.

quahog174
03-16-2019, 09:03 AM
I had a feeling this game was going to go down to the wire. Just didn’t know it would be the Goldwire! Did you see that his Nike swooshes are gold? Nice.

jv001
03-16-2019, 09:07 AM
One thing that I don't think that has been mentioned. On one of Zion's made baskets, one of the cheat players pushed him in the back and Zion fell down. The cheats then ran the ball down court and scored. I believe that's the most upset I've seen Zion and I can't blame him. Of course no foul was called on the legendary cheaters. GoDuke!

arnie
03-16-2019, 09:11 AM
One thing that I don't think that has been mentioned. On one of Zion's made baskets, one of the cheat players pushed him in the back and Zion fell down. The cheats then ran the ball down court and scored. I believe that's the most upset I've seen Zion and I can't blame him. Of course no foul was called on the legendary cheaters. GoDuke!

But that never happened - I know this cause Bilas never mentioned a push or foul on Cheats.

budwom
03-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Yup, we went some long stretches without trying to get him the ball, couldn't fathom why (happy to get the kick outs as you say)...hollering at the TV did me no good whatsoever...

budwom
03-16-2019, 09:24 AM
It is pretty apparent that he wants to win. The kid is fearless. He is not a physical freak like Zion and he is not a defensive savant- but his overall game is as good as and Freshman we have seen at Duke. He is the center of much of the good and bad things that happen on the court because he is never out of the game. I think he takes some plays off because he is wearing down at this point of the season but does not want to show it.

Furthermore, one has to concede that Williams played some very good defense on RJ last night, definitely caused him some problems. On to the next one...

sagegrouse
03-16-2019, 09:26 AM
I was wrong:

We shot 5-20 (25%) and won. We also shot under 50% overall. Carolina out rebounded us and committed less turnovers but shot worse than we did. In the final analysis, the only stat that matters is the score.

Of, course, Carolina shot 4-26 (15.4 percent), including 1-12 in the second half.

Furniture
03-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Yup, we went some long stretches without trying to get him the ball, couldn't fathom why (happy to get the kick outs as you say)...hollering at the TV did me no good whatsoever...

Wasnt it because there was just no room. UNC just packed it in the middle....

fgb
03-16-2019, 09:34 AM
surprising how much of the talk about this game--before, during, and post--keeps referring to duke as being "back at full strength". apparently missing your starting center counts for nothing these days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Also, I noted in the in-game thread that there were four possessions pretty quickly (out of 6 or 7?) where they called UNC on rebounding fouls. I feel this makes up for the dubious charge calls. I *never* see Tar Heels called for that.

sagegrouse
03-16-2019, 09:37 AM

I'll tell you what one problem is --"bogus charging calls." We need to get out of ACC games and into some games against different teams and different officials. The ACC referees are spring-loaded to call a charge on anyone wearing a Duke uniform -- esp., RJ, Cam and Tre -- three of our four best players. What horse hockey! Of course, no one dares call a charge on Zion!

Yeah, we'll see the same officials again, but it will be a different milieu.

jv001
03-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Furthermore, one has to concede that Williams played some very good defense on RJ last night, definitely caused him some problems. On to the next one...

I thought RJ had a good offensive game and that was with one of the best defenders(Williams) hounding him all night. His line wasn't bad: 15 points, 8 rebounds, 7 asts and 3 turnovers. He really played hard on offense. It was on defense that I think he could have played better. I think Williams got in his head and it carried over to his defense. I hope all the guys give it their all tonight, because we'll need it against a hot team that plays physical. GoDuke!

rocketeli
03-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Also, I noted in the in-game thread that there were four possessions pretty quickly (out of 6 or 7?) where they called UNC on rebounding fouls. I feel this makes up for the dubious charge calls. I *never* see Tar Heels called for that.

I just rewatched the game, and I noted that there were about four "questionable" block/charge calls, but they were split evenly between the teams, so the ref(s) were calling it consistently at least. Overall, I thought it was actually the best ref'ed game I've seen in a while. The calls were consistent, they didn't cause any major controversy and they didn't interfere with the game flow and the game's physicality never got out of hand. I'd be very happy to see the same crew in further games.

bluenorth
03-16-2019, 09:50 AM
I'll tell you what one problem is --"bogus charging calls." We need to get out of ACC games and into some games against different teams and different officials. The ACC referees are spring-loaded to call a charge on anyone wearing a Duke uniform -- esp., RJ, Cam and Tre -- three of our four best players. What horse hockey! Of course, no one dares call a charge on Zion!

I completely agree with you about the charging calls. Even on replays it's often hard to see why the whistle was blown. Refs do get a certain mindset after a while, especially if they have officiated the same players multiple times. The ref starts to anticipate a call before the action happens. For example, "Here goes Reddish to the hoop. Watch for the shoulder - there it is! My call."

ncexnyc
03-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Well now that Ol'Roy has had some time to think things over, I wonder if he's started to second guess some of his decisions from last night.

1. Why didn't he try posting up Cam Johnson on Goldwire? It seems like it happened only once and Johnson scored easily over Jordan. I don't know if that was a planned play or just happened in the flow of things.

2. Why Nassir Little instead of Huffman or Manley? We've all heard his reasoning from the press conference, but does he regret thinking Little's quickness would offset Zion's power? Huffman or Manley could have offered more resistance to Zion down low and wouldn't have been discarded like Little and Maye were.

3. That last possession. Again, he offered his reasoning at the presser, but he's burnt us with set plays out of time outs the past two games. Do you think he'd like to have a do over on that sequence? Especially considering he had two timeouts in his pocket.

rsvman
03-16-2019, 09:51 AM
I just rewatched the game, and I noted that there were about four "questionable" block/charge calls, but they were split evenly between the teams, so the ref(s) were calling it consistently at least. Overall, I thought it was actually the best ref'ed game I've seen in a while. The calls were consistent, they didn't cause any major controversy and they didn't interfere with the game flow and the game's physicality never got out of hand. I'd be very happy to see the same crew in further games.

Agreed. Better than most.

Just think about last night's game versus the game in the Dean's Myth center and the differences immediately become glaring.

mattyoung18
03-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Since the cheats got sent home early any chance they will take advantage and go to class.Seeeeeyaaaa

PackMan97
03-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Since the cheats got sent home early any chance they will take advantage and go to class.Seeeeeyaaaa

In my opinion, the Heels look like they haven't gone to class since the UofL debacle.

wsb3
03-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Heckuva game. One of the stats at the bottom of the screen really surprised me to the point that I wonder if I read it right. UNC had not beat us 3 straight in any season since the 75-76 season..I believe the last time we beat them 3 straight in a season was 2002. Also 99 and 88 off the top of my head.

So glad we avoided the dreaded 3 sweep.

bluedev_92
03-16-2019, 10:05 AM
But that never happened - I know this cause Bilas never mentioned a push or foul on Cheats.

Also, at about the 6:30 mark when Javin was underneath & missed everything on his shot - he was fouled from behind by Eyebrow boy. All Jay has to say is “point blank” (miss). No mention of the body foul that knocked Javin off balance...

jipops
03-16-2019, 10:06 AM

I didn’t think the charging calls were incorrect, they looked like the right calls for the most part. If the player has his shoulder down going into the defender it’s going to get called. And on most of those occasions our driver was a bit out of control. Also, don’t forget Javin drew one as well that could have easily gone the other way.

The guys either need to pull up for the short jumper like Tre sometimes does or look for the skip pass sooner.

CDu
03-16-2019, 10:12 AM
I didn’t think the charging calls were incorrect, they looked like the right calls for the most part. If the player has his shoulder down going into the defender it’s going to get called. And on most of those occasions our driver was a bit out of control. Also, don’t forget Javin drew one as well that could have easily gone the other way.

The guys either need to pull up for the short jumper like Tre sometimes does or look for the skip pass sooner.

I agree. There was maybe a charge or two that could have gone the other way, and some were borderline. But generally speaking if you put shoulder into chest you don’t give yourself much bargaining position with the refs. Same issue as in the game at Chapel Hill.

I am sure nobody is feeling sympathy for Duke fans complaining about charge calls. This is the chickens coming to roost.

Thankfully, we survived. But Barrett and (even morseo) Reddish need to be more alert when driving.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Yes. I said this pre-game. Nothing unmasks flopping defense like a pull up jumper where the defense falls down like a chair was pulled from under them.

Neals384
03-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Doesn't Roy know all those unused Timeouts do not work in hell?

K saw what we saw...but he still played RJ the full 40 minutes. Would you expect K to sub in, say, AOC, so that RJ could get a breather and Nolan could whisper in his ear about dumb mistakes? He's playing 40 minutes per game, so get used to a few bumps in the road.

Translation: The meth wears off.

He can be super hyper at times (tweaking) and that's where those derp-plays originate. JDL's weakness is between his ears. He's a freakish athlete. A little more thought and he's Amile 2.0.

(Don't @ me, I'm joking about the the meth. But, you gotta admit, he's one jittery son-of-a-gun at times.)

You bet I am going to @ you. Our guys on drugs is not something you even joke about.

Gosh, he is a mopey pants whiner. Just a donkeyrear.

The above was in reference to Nassir Little. Right now Roy is counseling him about how much better he will be next year at UNC and how he just isn't ready for the NBA.

Would love to see his +/- vs Goldwire.

There will be a delay in the +/- posting until I have time to rewatch the start of the second half to correct the substitutions. Memo to scorekeeper: when the 2nd half starter are different from the game starters, you need an entry in the play-by-play that looks like this:

20:00 SUB IN : Antonio Vrankovic
20:00 SUB OUT: Javin DeLaurier
20:00 SUB IN : Jordan Goldwire
20:00 SUB OUT: Cam Reddish

Then you need entries when Cam and Javin do enter the game, which you also missed. (That's the reason a re-watch is needed.)

A win absolves all sins. A win against Carolina really absolves all sins. But there were a lot of sins in this one. I realize the pressure, and the quality of the opponent, but Duke needs to tighten up its game in several areas - because the road is not getting any easier from here on out.

I think the road next week goes though a #16 seed. That might be easier, unless you are a stealth UVA fan:cool:

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Why not? Last night we beat them playing our worst with them playing their best. Bless their hearts.
Love, Ima

JStuart
03-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Can't spork you as I've 'given out too much reputation comments over the past 24 hours'....seriously?
I nearly fell out of my chair when the first over-the-back call on them occurred. In Charlotte, no less! Dean Smiff must be turning over in his grave.
Don't think they got Maye for one (which would have been Justice Served!), but having a Roy player foul out was simply monumental. TV Ted wouldn't have allowed that to happen.
Oh, and here is a virtual Spork!
JStuart (why do we put up with this idiotic reputation system, anyway?)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2019, 10:15 AM
Why not? Last night we beat them playing our worst with them playing their best. Bless their hearts.
Love, Ima

And, if we meet them again, we will likely have Bolden. Bring em on.

Nugget
03-16-2019, 10:17 AM
I completely agree with you about the charging calls. Even on replays it's often hard to see why the whistle was blown. Refs do get a certain mindset after a while, especially if they have officiated the same players multiple times. The ref starts to anticipate a call before the action happens. For example, "Here goes Reddish to the hoop. Watch for the shoulder - there it is! My call."

No doubt Cam and RJ now have a rep for charging, so close calls are going against them. But, let's not kid ourselves-- both of those guys really do charge, a lot.

For all the carping here, you didn't see K or the staff protesting the charge calls last night.

robed deity
03-16-2019, 10:18 AM
I agree. There was maybe a charge or two that could have gone the other way, and some were borderline. But generally speaking if you put shoulder into chest you don’t give yourself much bargaining position with the refs. Same issue as in the game at Chapel Hill.

I am sure nobody is feeling sympathy for Duke fans complaining about charge calls. This is the chickens coming to roost.

Thankfully, we survived. But Barrett and (even morseo) Reddish need to be more alert when driving.

I thought the charge calls in this game were ok. Maybe a couple that were questionable, including Javin's. I thought the ones in Chapel Hill were garbage, though. But yeah, RJ and Cam have to be careful.

slower
03-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Every in-game thread now is a tragedy. Should be locked once it’s tipped. Don’t want to put it in chat then keep it to yourself. Absolutely pitiful.

What a crock. What's the point of HAVING a forum if you can't express your opinion? Good grief.

I know there are many who object to the venting and (HEAVENS!!) negative comments, but that's just part of internet culture, no matter WHERE you logon.