PDA

View Full Version : Would You Trade An NCAA Championship for One Year of Zion?

slower
03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I know we all want BOTH!

But as I watched his return in the Syracuse game last night, I admitted to myself that, IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE - another natty without Zion, or one year of watching him in Duke blue - I'd rather have the year of Zion. We may never see anything like this/him again, folks - treasure every second of it.

If we win it all, of course, this will go down as one of THE most memorable years ever in NCAA basketball. Can you imagine what the ratings will be for Zion in the title game? Highest-rated NCAA game of all time? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

bullettoothtony
03-15-2019, 03:47 PM
I love Zion but give me the national championship. It's not even close. Final fours and national championships are what it's about. The rest is conversation.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2019, 03:49 PM
I love Zion but give me the national championship. It's not even close. Final fours and national championships are what it's about. The rest is conversation.

Same. Zion is fabulous and the most important member of this year's team. But I want a natty. There will never be another Zion at Duke, but there will be plenty of other really good players.

AGDukesky
03-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Natty but I did have to think a bit. Now, 4 years of Zion might change my mind...

killerleft
03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
If Duke can't bring home the title, I'm really happy with having this whole freshman group here at Duke. I'll take what we get with the present group of young men. Trading Zion just doesn't compute. He's our guy. I don't want to think about him playing anywhere else.

proelitedota
03-15-2019, 04:06 PM
We have 5 titles and would likely have more. We've only had 1 year of Zion / Zion-like player and wouldn't have another in the next generation. Give me Zion.

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 04:08 PM
If Duke can't bring home the title, I'm really happy with having this whole freshman group here at Duke. I'll take what we get with the present group of young men. Trading Zion just doesn't compute. He's our guy. I don't want to think about him playing anywhere else.

Did you get a new phone???

Great, readable post!

killerleft
03-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Did you get a new phone???

Great, readable post!

I may be inscrutable at times, but you may have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not the one who has periods at strange places in a sentence, at any rate.

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 04:24 PM
I may be inscrutable at times, but you may have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not the one who has periods in strange places in a sentence, at any rate.

Forgive me. I don't often look at the names and the similar color scheme in your avatar threw me off!

Bike4Fun
03-15-2019, 08:21 PM
I have way more National Championships than most ever dream of. Watching Zion gives me joy.

Eternal Outlaw
03-15-2019, 08:57 PM
National Championship, we've heard how close these guys are with each other and I wish for them to win their last game together.

slower
03-15-2019, 09:22 PM
Seems like some of you don't understand my premise:

If you can ONLY HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS - a year of Zion playing for Duke, OR a national championship WITHOUT ZION EVER PLAYING FOR DUKE - which would you choose? Hopefully, that was clear enough.

As I said before, I'm taking one year of Zion.

duke4ever19
03-15-2019, 09:23 PM

If you can ONLY HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS - a year of Zion playing for Duke, OR a national championship WITHOUT ZION EVER PLAYING FOR DUKE - which would you choose? Hopefully, that was clear enough.

National Championship.

ncexnyc
03-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Is this a trick question?

slower
03-15-2019, 09:28 PM
No. Of course, having both things is (still) possible.

But if you could ONLY have one or the other...

duke4ever19
03-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Maybe whoever answers with the wrong answer gets banned, or at least flamed? I'm not falling for it, plus I already know the correct answer.

Neals384
03-15-2019, 09:37 PM

Reject the premise. I will give up the Natty this year for another full year of Zion next year.

hallcity
03-22-2019, 06:16 PM
How good is Zion? NCSU fans are seriously debating whether Zion is better as a frosh than David Thompson. I saw them both as frosh. Thompson left me completely stunned but Zion is still way better. God, how I wish we could have him longer.
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina-state/Board/103752/Contents/Is-Zion-the-best-youve-seen-130250608/

Phredd3
03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Zion is a major reason I love watching this team. He's the block of pure joy that basketball has been missing. Winning another championship would be great, but watching Zion is incomparable. I'll take Zion with a smile.

richardjackson199
03-22-2019, 06:29 PM
I'll take the Natty, always every time. Natty #6 and Zion going 1 helps future recruiting. Holding players back who should leave hurts future recruiting. Case in point - Ol Roy. If we're good enough to win it all, our other players probably also move up this draft board which helps future recruiting.

The right move for the consensus #1 pick is to go pro in June and sign those endorsement deals. Zion has been fantastic for Duke and Duke has been fantastic for him.

uh_no
03-22-2019, 06:35 PM
I have way more National Championships than most ever dream of. Watching Zion gives me joy.

that's good. if he sparks joy, you don't have to throw him out.

Phredd3
03-22-2019, 06:35 PM
I'll take the Natty, always every time. Natty #6 and Zion going 1 helps future recruiting. Holding players back who should leave hurts future recruiting. Case in point - Ol Roy. If we're good enough to win it all, our other players probably also move up this draft board which helps future recruiting.

The right move for the consensus #1 pick is to go pro in June and sign those endorsement deals. Zion has been fantastic for Duke and Duke has been fantastic for him.

Except that the premise of the question is that you don't get both.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Let me tell you when the tourney is over, and I’ve experienced both.

gray
03-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Choosing to have Zion over a national championship puts the player above the program. I am a Duke fan first. Give me a Natty any day.

JNort
03-22-2019, 07:40 PM

I don't see how this is even a close decision. You take the Natty.

ice-9
03-22-2019, 08:02 PM
This is a trick question right? National championship every single time. Even if with no Zion, that means other players to fall in love with that actually got us to the promised land.

It’s like asking whether we would trade the 2010 national championship for this season without one. I love Zion, but I also love Scheyer, Nolan, Lance, Zoubeck, et al.

JetpackJesus
03-22-2019, 10:27 PM

Natty, always. I will trade whatever you name for a title. Unless you name the things uNC traded for their titles. I would never trade those things.

Furniture
03-22-2019, 10:29 PM
Why am I wasting my time reading this....Natty....

Reddevil
03-22-2019, 10:32 PM
No one, NO ONE is bigger than the game. National championships are treasures.

Grounded
03-24-2019, 01:52 AM
I’d take Zion.

Sure, no player is bigger than the game and another Natty is what this is all about.

However, I’d argue that Zion’s play, personality and overall approach to the game has turned far more people into fans of Duke basketball than one player ever has. He’s must see TV...even for the “haters.”

If he’s anything like this in the NBA, I’d say it’ll still yield positive things for Duke.

I think he’s worth it now and in the long run.