PDA

View Full Version : Zion’s New Shoes

hallcity
03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Zion is happy with his new custom shoes and seems to be really happy with Nike. (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article227843189.html) BTW, Zion isn’t the only one on the team with custom Nike shoes. Bolden has custom shoes as well. Kyrie is also very happy.

left_hook_lacey
03-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Zion is happy with his new custom shoes and seems to be really happy with Nike. (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article227843189.html) BTW, Zion isn’t the only one on the team with custom Nike shoes. Bolden has custom shoes as well. Kyrie is also very happy.

My wife said they look like orthopedic shoes that an old lady would walk around the mall in. But we're old, so what do we know. :o

budwom
03-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Interesting to learn that earlier in the year, Zion blew out the toe region in a pair of Nikes...(seemingly a non customized Kyrie shoe)...

kako
03-15-2019, 03:05 PM
I hear they have vibranium in them.

9F

weezie
03-15-2019, 03:11 PM
I hear they have vibranium in them.

9F

Sure it's not Flubber?

"Professor Brainard (Fred MacMurray) is an absent-minded professor of physical chemistry at Medfield College who invents a substance that gains energy when it strikes a hard surface. This discovery follows some blackboard scribbling in which he reverses a sign in the equation for enthalpy to energy plus pressure times volume. Brainard names his discovery Flubber, which is a portmanteau of "flying rubber." ... Flubber is used on the bottoms of basketball players' shoes (in a crucial game) giving them tremendous jumping ability"

kako
03-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Sure it's not Flubber?

Nope. I'm hoping for vibranium. I don't want them breaking again!

9F

roywhite
03-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Came across this in one of the Thursday 3/21 DBR Tournament links. Someone appears to have technical information about the deficiency of Zion's failed shoes.

https://hypebeast.com/2019/3/zion-williamson-nike-pg-2-5-autopsy

Nah. It was a design flaw. A lot of Nike shoes have fly-wire in the fore-foot for lateral containment / support. The PG 2.0 had a bit of it in the fore-foot but in the 2.5 it was removed in favor of a pretty useless adaptive-fit strap. As a result, the upper and sole in the 2.5 is essentially just held together by glue and the strength of the materials. The foam out-sole and upper material clearly weren't enough for Zion.

When done right, the fly-wire interlocks with the lacing system and runs into / around the foot-bed of the shoe. It connects the upper to the sole. So, even if the sole ruptures and separates like Zion's did, the fly-wire would keep your foot literally tied to the sole of the shoe. In the photos, you can see a gaping, empty hole where the sole-split on the 2.5s. The strap, which replaced the fly-wire, is just pointlessly attached to the upper like an ornament. Normally, that hole would have fly-wire running through it like jail bars preventing your foot from busting out.

It's not a coincidence that Nike gave Zion modified Kyries. The Kyries have heavy-duty fly-wire fore-foot lateral support

HereBeforeCoachK
03-21-2019, 08:03 AM
Sure it's not Flubber?

"Professor Brainard (Fred MacMurray) is an absent-minded professor of physical chemistry at Medfield College who invents a substance that gains energy when it strikes a hard surface. This discovery follows some blackboard scribbling in which he reverses a sign in the equation for enthalpy to energy plus pressure times volume. Brainard names his discovery Flubber, which is a portmanteau of "flying rubber." ... Flubber is used on the bottoms of basketball players' shoes (in a crucial game) giving them tremendous jumping ability"

....flubber.....that's my story (explaining Zion) - and I'm sticking to it.....:cool: