PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Cheating Bastards (9:30pm, Fri Mar 15, ESPN) Pre- and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JBDuke
03-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Duke vs. Carolina in the ACC semis. Let's hope we get through the game without losing a starter this time.

devildeac
03-14-2019, 11:44 PM
I doubt Ozzie starts the Status Check thread and I had a massive fail, too. Who's gonna be brave and step forward?

Ballboy1998
03-14-2019, 11:46 PM
TV Teddy salivating at the prospect of upstaging Zion by putting him on the bench with garbage whistles. Let us hope and pray the refs don't steal any of our starters as holes go flopping every which way. GTHCGTH!

simplyluvin
03-14-2019, 11:48 PM
Got to take care of the ball and protect the boards. Zion v Maye is going to be very intriguing. This is the test we wanted to see. They are playing great ball, and we’ve got to play with energy off of a back to back. We can win as long as we maintain good energy.

devildeac
03-14-2019, 11:50 PM
TV Teddy salivating at the prospect of upstaging Zion by putting him on the bench with garbage whistles. Let us hope and pray the refs don't steal any of our starters as holes go flopping every which way. GTHCGTH!

I looked at moonpie's advanced radio stats sheet and Zion picked up 2 fouls leaving the building tonight.

jipops
03-15-2019, 12:11 AM
At the most important stage of the season the cheats are playing terrific basketball. Duke on the other hand has been a discombobulated mess. Constant states of injury with a freshmen led roster in flux, and role players who have struggled to fit into the offense has led up to now.

I think we’re going to have to hit perimeter shots like we did against UVA to have a chance here. Seems like we’re due to hit a respectable volume. There is no Quinn Cook or even a Matt Jones on this roster. We have to get stellar scoring games from our top 3.

Acymetric
03-15-2019, 12:15 AM
I doubt Ozzie starts the Status Check thread and I had a massive fail, too. Who's gonna be brave and step forward?

Ozzie is the traditional starter of the Status Check...can't get gun shy after one miss! I think he needs to get back in the game.

Edit: I see Native already took care of it...Ozzie just know we'll be looking for you next February.

Pghdukie
03-15-2019, 12:16 AM
I think TV Teddy should take the night off, then referee a St. Patrick's Day parade somewhere !

Utley
03-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Time for the best defensive game of the season!!!

freshmanjs
03-15-2019, 12:33 AM
I think we’re going to have to hit perimeter shots like we did against UVA to have a chance here.

I don't understand this. we had a chance just 5 days ago without our best player and without shooting perimeter shots like that. Led at half and down 5 late in the game.

awhom111
03-15-2019, 12:44 AM
Here is a list of stations carrying the Raycom feed, although Boise looks like an error:
http://theacc.com/sports/2019/2/20/MBB_ACCT-3-15-2019-SF2.aspx

Here is the online broadcast of the Raycom feed, free and without geographical restrictions:
http://www.theacc.com/watch/?id=161580

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 12:52 AM
I don't understand this. we had a chance just 5 days ago without our best player and without shooting perimeter shots like that. Led at half and down 5 late in the game.

Some people just see darkness.

Speaking of which, who was it who said we would never see Zion in a Duke uniform again, and if we did, he would never post on DBR again?

Talk about darkness and pessimism.

subzero02
03-15-2019, 01:11 AM
Some people just see darkness.

Speaking of which, who was it who said we would never see Zion in a Duke uniform again, and if we did, he would never post on DBR again?

Talk about darkness and pessimism.

I was expecting 15 to 20 points from Zion in 25 minutes of play and due to a lack of Tyus Battle, a 10 to 15 point win. I was hoping that we would build a large lead in the first 10 minutes of the second half so that Zion could play reduced minutes but the opposite happened. He seemed winded during his post game interview and at one point towards the end of the game when he was on the block for foul shots but he played like he was in peak shape. Hopefully he comes out tomorrow with just as much energy. I am sure our training staff will do everything possible between now and then to assure that he's ready to go tomorrow.

duke4ever19
03-15-2019, 01:16 AM
I was expecting 15 to 20 points from Zion in 25 minutes of play and due to a lack of Tyus Battle, a 10 to 15 point win. I was hoping that we would build a large lead in the first 10 minutes of the second half so that Zion could play reduced minutes but the opposite happened. He seemed winded during his post game interview and at one point towards the end of the game when he was on the block for foul shots but he played like he was in peak shape. Hopefully he comes out tomorrow with just as much energy. I am sure our training staff will do everything possible between now and then to assure that he's ready to go tomorrow.

He is in peak shape. Source: Zion Williamson.

subzero02
03-15-2019, 01:21 AM
He is in peak shape. Source: Zion Williamson.

he's not far off but his breathing says his conditioning is not quite where it was before the injury.

duke4ever19
03-15-2019, 01:39 AM
he's not far off but his breathing says his conditioning is not quite where it was before the injury.

You write with conviction, I'll give you that.

BLPOG
03-15-2019, 01:45 AM
Ozzie is the traditional starter of the Status Check...can't get gun shy after one miss! I think he needs to get back in the game.

Edit: I see Native already took care of it...Ozzie just know we'll be looking for you next February.

Next February? What are you, nuts (https://youtu.be/RlsiiWlt35s)? It should be next October, if not before!

Acymetric
03-15-2019, 02:16 AM
Next February? What are you, nuts (https://youtu.be/RlsiiWlt35s)? It should be next October, if not before!

Wow...you are right. Between the heat of basketball season and the impenetrable cone of silence that permeates our football team in the off-season lately (I'll save that rant for a football thread sometime in April) I completely forgot about the need for additional Status Checks in the meantime. Thanks for the call out.

UrinalCake
03-15-2019, 02:41 AM
I think we play up on the perimeter and let Zion patrol the lane. Can’t let them get comfortable from three. And as always when playing the CHeats, getting back in transition and limiting offensive rebounds are key. On offense we need to get others involved in addition to Zion. Hoping for the Cam we saw in the first half up in Chapel Hell, but for the whole game.

BigZ
03-15-2019, 02:51 AM
Time to reinact that win against Kentucky against UNC

lotusland
03-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Got to take care of the ball and protect the boards. Zion v Maye is going to be very intriguing. This is the test we wanted to see. They are playing great ball, and we’ve got to play with energy off of a back to back. We can win as long as we maintain good energy.

Johnson is more important than Maye on defense imo. I like Zion on Maye for shot blocking and defensive rebounding. Maybe Cam on Cam and Z on Maye and Jav on the centers when they play a big lineup. Need a big game from Tre on D against Coby and R.J. needs to be crisp on the switches. Both teams are better in the open court so winning the turnover battle is key. First and foremost everybody GET BACK on D!

billy
03-15-2019, 07:18 AM
I think we play up on the perimeter and let Zion patrol the lane. Can’t let them get comfortable from three. And as always when playing the CHeats, getting back in transition and limiting offensive rebounds are key. On offense we need to get others involved in addition to Zion. Hoping for the Cam we saw in the first half up in Chapel Hell, but for the whole game.

Can someone much more knowledgeable than I comment on what difference, if any, UNC made on offense running screens for Coby at the top of the 3 point area in the second game? It seemed to me he got free much more easily than the first game, resulting in more open looks from three and more mis-matches with bigs where he would just drive.

gocanes0506
03-15-2019, 07:29 AM
1. A win for us may be escaping the game injury free

2. Im prepping myself for a ton of Luke Maye flopping and Zion not seeing a lot of time.

Ballboy1998
03-15-2019, 07:34 AM

2. Im prepping myself for a ton of Luke Maye flopping and Zion not seeing a lot of time.

100% of unc’s defensive “plan” against Zion and RJ is going to be to flop on every drive. Hopefully RJ learned from experiencing that at the dump and will adjust a bit.

Acymetric
03-15-2019, 07:52 AM

In true xnc post-player tradition.

You should also prep for Maye's neatly groomed eyebrows and [unconfirmed] eyeliner.

arnie
03-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Agree with both, can’t afford anymore injuries. The over/under on Maye+Williams flops is about 12. Hopefully they call less than half charges. Are we sure TV Teddy is officiating?

Rich
03-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Is it safe to say that tonight's winner gets the 1 seed and the loser moves to a 2 seed? Pretty big stakes involved (outside of the obvious of winning the ACC).

Acymetric
03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Is it safe to say that tonight's winner gets the 1 seed and the loser moves to a 2 seed? Pretty big stakes involved (outside of the obvious of winning the ACC).

I don't think so. Certainly the winner improves their chances at a 1 and the loser is at a greater risk of moving to a 2, but I don't see either as a given. Very much depends on the committee. I do think that Zion's dominate performance helps the committee overlook our losses without him. Duke probably has a better chance of a 1 seed with a loss than xnc does if that turns out to be true. That said, I'd rather win.

budwom
03-15-2019, 08:58 AM
need to have some of the other guys up their respective games...interesting that Zion said post game that he could have played two games ago...

dukelifer
03-15-2019, 09:03 AM
need to have some of the other guys up their respective games...interesting that Zion said post game that he could have played two games ago...

Not sure he said that. He said he was feeling 100% a couple of days ago.

jv001
03-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Our guys need to play hard for 40 minutes, especially on defense. The cheats run their offense really well and we can't get caught napping. They'll run back door cuts and run the ball up the court off made baskets(by Duke). RJ in particular will need to be sharp on defense. As for our offense, I hope we're nailing 3s because there will be some open ones for us to take. I want so see Duke take those cheats to the woodshed. GoDuke!

gocanes0506
03-15-2019, 09:12 AM

The scenarios in my head:

I think UVA and Zaga have a number one locked up.

The last 2 are between Duke, the other blue, Sparty, and the other blue

I will say the winner of this game should have the 3rd number 1 wrapped up. Both teams from this game could get a number one if Sparty and the other blue lose before their championship games and this is a close game. If Duke loses, I doubt we get a number one unless sparty or the other blue lose to an un-ranked team before the championship game.

The thing Duke has going for it is the hype train that Zion brings and the committee will want to see Duke get as far as possible. Zion brings eye balls outside of Duke fans and no other top team has that kind of media grabbing player. UK doesnt have that big freshman everyone is talking about. That other "school" kind of has it but, not really. The Zags have a player to hitch their media wagon to but he isnt on the level of typical hype generating players.

JasonEvans
03-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Here is a game... see if you can spot the Carolina fan sitting on press row?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1s4yjAX4AE2ejP.png:large

"Oh dear lord... we have to face that next?!?!"

Rich
03-15-2019, 09:18 AM
The thing Duke has going for it is the hype train that Zion brings and the committee will want to see Duke get as far as possible. Zion brings eye balls outside of Duke fans and no other top team has that kind of media grabbing player. UK doesnt have that big freshman everyone is talking about. That other "school" kind of has it but, not really. The Zags have a player to hitch their media wagon to but he isnt on the level of typical hype generating players.

Yeah, sorry, but I don't for one second believe that to be a factor for the committee.

budwom
03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Not sure he said that. He said he was feeling 100% a couple of days ago.

he did say that.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Agree with both, can’t afford anymore injuries. The over/under on Maye+Williams flops is about 12. Hopefully they call less than half charges. Are we sure TV Teddy is officiating?

I'm not normally one for violence (I'm a lover, not a fighter), but if they are going to be calling lots of charges, let's at least get our money's worth - let Williams or Maye try to stand in against Zion after he has picked up a full head of steam. They might have second thoughts the next time around.

Troublemaker
03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Can someone much more knowledgeable than I comment on what difference, if any, UNC made on offense running screens for Coby at the top of the 3 point area in the second game? It seemed to me he got free much more easily than the first game, resulting in more open looks from three and more mis-matches with bigs where he would just drive.

No difference, imo. White hit 4 threes against us -- two was Javin giving him too much room, one was Cam giving him too much room. And one -- the first one -- was just a nasty Harden-esque stepback on Cam that perhaps deserves a hat tip. Generally, we need to press up more outside and make him beat us with drives. Especially if Zion is back there around the basket. White was 4-8 in two-pt range, which is decent but isn't going to beat us, and he only shot one FT. Make him beat us from two.

Overall, though, Duke's defense played very well in both games. We just have to score more.

This may still be true but I would expect Brooks to be the primary defender on Zion.

At the most important stage of the season the cheats are playing terrific basketball. Duke on the other hand has been a discombobulated mess. Constant states of injury with a freshmen led roster in flux, and role players who have struggled to fit into the offense has led up to now.

I think we’re going to have to hit perimeter shots like we did against UVA to have a chance here. Seems like we’re due to hit a respectable volume. There is no Quinn Cook or even a Matt Jones on this roster. We have to get stellar scoring games from our top 3.

We should make a friendly bet on who will win the game. You choose the stakes.

House G
03-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Duke is a 3 point favorite.

weezie
03-15-2019, 09:57 AM
...let Williams or Maye try to stand in against Zion after he has picked up a full head of steam. They might have second thoughts the next time around.

I'll say it again, "A girl can dream..."

kmspeaks
03-15-2019, 10:00 AM
I'm not normally one for violence (I'm a lover, not a fighter), but if they are going to be calling lots of charges, let's at least get our money's worth - let Williams or Maye try to stand in against Zion after he has picked up a full head of steam. They might have second thoughts the next time around.

I'll say it again, "A girl can dream..."

Can TV Teddy be on the baseline when it happens so the cheaters take him out when they fly backwards?? :p;)

peterjswift
03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
While I'm sure the stat gurus can probably tear this post to shreds, I seem to have noticed an odd thing this year about Duke and UNC.

Throughout the year, Duke and UNC seem to have switched traditional methods of scoring. I'm used to Duke scoring in the half-court with a heavy reliance on the 3-pt shot, and I'm used to UNC pounding inside and scoring in transition.

Throughout the season, the two teams seem to have switched - with UNC being a great perimeter team, and Duke being a paint & transition team.

And then....when they play each other, they switch back to their "old selves." - Duke goes back to relying on the perimeter, and UNC runs and pounds the paint.

I realize this is because both of these games were played without Zion, but both matchups and the season seemed a little "Freaky Friday" or "Twilight Zone" ish to me.

So I really have no idea what to expect tonight, but I'm happy for Maye to have 10 less points due to Zion's presence, and for Zion to pick up those 10 points for himself.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2019, 10:17 AM
While I'm sure the stat gurus can probably tear this post to shreds, I seem to have noticed an odd thing this year about Duke and UNC.

Throughout the year, Duke and UNC seem to have switched traditional methods of scoring. I'm used to Duke scoring in the half-court with a heavy reliance on the 3-pt shot, and I'm used to UNC pounding inside and scoring in transition.

Throughout the season, the two teams seem to have switched - with UNC being a great perimeter team, and Duke being a paint & transition team.

And then...when they play each other, they switch back to their "old selves." - Duke goes back to relying on the perimeter, and UNC runs and pounds the paint.

I realize this is because both of these games were played without Zion, but both matchups and the season seemed a little "Freaky Friday" or "Twilight Zone" ish to me.

So I really have no idea what to expect tonight, but I'm happy for Maye to have 10 less points due to Zion's presence, and for Zion to pick up those 10 points for himself.

Also, UNC looks good at taking charges. Duke doesn't. With our length, we're more of a blocking team.

And speaking of charges, the only way UNC stops Zion is with charges, and I guarantee Williams is practicing charges. Williamson, Barrett, and Cam need to be prepared for that. Although with Cam, he's guaranteed at least 1 charge if he drives the ball...

uh_no
03-15-2019, 10:19 AM
people are talking up how UNC looks "great"....but ignore the fact that UL gave them as much of a game as syracuse gave us.....and like their second game against us, UNC went through some extended scoring droughts.

we looked every bit as good as UNC yesterday....and hopefully have gotten over some of the "stop and stare at zion" syndrome that plagued the offense from ~10m in the first half until 15m in the second half...a 15 minute stretch in which we scored only 17 points.

devildeac
03-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Are you forgetting 10/26/19?

;)

Never mind. I see someone else "called you out" upthread already. Please forgive my annoyance. :o

peterjswift
03-15-2019, 10:26 AM
One exciting thing for me: Javin DeLaurier. The last two games he has played for 58 minutes and had 3 total fouls (1 in 30 minutes last night!).

These games represent his longest playing time, and his least fouls per minute, for the entire season. With the amount of PT and the great performance, against two very different teams, I wonder if K is seeing something from him in practice or making adjustments to use him more effectively.

His average in previous games in which he's played meaningful minutes for the season is 1 foul every 5 minutes. In these two games, it is about 1 foul every 20 minutes.

His length, athleticism, ability to both finish around the rim and protect the rim is that much more valuable if he can both stay on the floor, and avoid sending the other team to the line. I realize two games are a small sample size, but glad to see that improvement.

AGDukesky
03-15-2019, 10:27 AM
people are talking up how UNC looks "great"...but ignore the fact that UL gave them as much of a game as syracuse gave us....and like their second game against us, UNC went through some extended scoring droughts.

we looked every bit as good as UNC yesterday...and hopefully have gotten over some of the "stop and stare at zion" syndrome that plagued the offense from ~10m in the first half until 15m in the second half...a 15 minute stretch in which we scored only 17 points.

Agreed. UNC has simply benefitted from playing a weak schedule down the stretch because its only tough games were undermined by Duke missing players. Still UNC barely beat Clemson and looked the same as Duke against Syracuse while playing at home. It is going to royally irk me if UNC gets a #1 seed simply by getting lucky with the timing of Duke injuries...

peterjswift
03-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Also, UNC looks good at taking charges. Duke doesn't. With our length, we're more of a blocking team.

The twilight zone theme is running through my head!

uh_no
03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Agreed. UNC has simply benefitted from playing a weak schedule down the stretch because its only tough games were undermined by Duke missing players. Still UNC barely beat Clemson and looked the same as Duke against Syracuse while playing at home. It is going to royally irk me if UNC gets a #1 seed simply by getting lucky with the timing of Duke injuries...

what are you talking about? Jay Bilas declared UNC had the toughest schedule in the country.... /s

wgl1228
03-15-2019, 10:34 AM
This game rests on protecting the ball, rebounding, and whether Cam Reddish makes shots. End of story.

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 10:40 AM
I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldn’t call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Raycom didn’t notice it. Was ESPN on it in-game?

Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

Zion’s gravity may very well bend even the refs toward him.

Here’s hoping. As I said, I have a dream.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2019, 10:43 AM
I have a dream, especially after the attempted trip yesterday. The officials will jump on board the Zion train and protect him some in the floor. Maybe that means calling more fouls on opponents who bounce off him. During the year, because he plays through contact so well, refs wouldn’t call the obvious fouls. Maybe now they will.

They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Ration didn’t notice it. Was ESPN in it in-game?

Point is, if Zion is injured between now ant the NCAA final due to contact, there will be hell to pay. Every bit of dirty play against Zion is going to be scrutinized. EVERYONE wants to see Zion play on a court that could very well tilt toward him.

Zion’s gravity may very well bend even the refs towed him.

I don't think you're wrong. The NCAA will especially want to protect Zion. He is the best player, biggest story, most marketable player this year. Folks will tune in to watch a mediocre NCAA game that doesn't involve Duke just because Zion is the in the tournament!

Any intentional BS towards Zion will not be tolerated.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that about any of our other players.

moonpie23
03-15-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm not confident.

UNC is rolling. Love that Z came back with a vengeance, but, he can't do it alone. Maye won't score 30, but he hardly EVER scores 30...that's not their game.

You can tell that they are sick to death of hearing about "but zion didn't play"

If we turn the ball over like we did last night, we have a triple scoop of loser on our faces tonight.

somebody better step up......

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 10:46 AM
This game rests on protecting the ball, rebounding, and whether Cam Reddish makes shots. End of story.

I guess I can stop reading now.

Edouble
03-15-2019, 10:50 AM
I'm not confident.

UNC is rolling. Love that Z came back with a vengeance, but, he can't do it alone. Maye won't score 30, but he hardly EVER scores 30...that's not their game.

You can tell that they are sick to death of hearing about "but zion didn't play"

If we turn the ball over like we did last night, we have a triple scoop of loser on our faces tonight.

somebody better step up...

And I'm sure our guys are sick of losing to these jokers. I like our chances tonight.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2019, 10:57 AM
And I'm sure our guys are sick of losing to these jokers. I like our chances tonight.

As the eternal pessimist, I weirdly like our chances as well.

But players not named Zion or RJ need to step up. That includes Cam, Tre, AOC, White, and Javin.

UNC is dammmmmmn good. They play some of the best team basketball this year. But we have the best 2 players on the court. Let's hope someone else steps up.

Troublemaker
03-15-2019, 10:59 AM
In one of Coach K's interviews recently (I think it was one on GoDuke), he mentioned that Duke spent the past week not only re-drilling stuff they used to run before Zion got hurt but also installing new stuff that they would've installed had Zion not gotten hurt. (Obviously against Cuse we had to run zone offense and not any of the new stuff.) I'm wondering if one of those things was to run more 4/5 ball screens for Zion; that is, have Javin come set a high ball screen for Zion, which in this case, would force Brooks and Maye out of their comfort zone. Usually "4"s don't have a handle like Zion, so the opposing team's two bigs aren't used to having to defend a ball screen in tandem; usually it's a perimeter player guarding the ball-handler and the big man hedging or dropping, for example.

devildeac
03-15-2019, 11:01 AM

They might not do it consciously, but it will be there. I bet in the reffing crews there has been a bunch of talk about the attempted trip. I didn’t even know about it until after the game. Raycom didn’t notice it. Was ESPN on it in-game?

That does appear to be a dream and I admire it. But, remember, we're playing the cheats tonight. :mad:

Steven43
03-15-2019, 11:03 AM
what are you talking about? Jay Bilas declared UNC had the toughest schedule in the country... /s
Did he really say that? And do the numbers back him up?

uh_no
03-15-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm not confident.

That's not really true, though. They jumped out to an early lead, but weren't good enough to put UL away until late....pretty much same as we did vs cuse. If UL doesn't lollygag down the court every possession for the first 10 minutes of the game allowing easy UNC layups, it's even more of a game.

HINT TO TEAM: DON'T FORGET THAT UNC RUNS AFTER MADE BASKETS

I will be apoplectic if we let UNC get 4-6 points on run-outs after made baskets before we remember "oh yeah, UNC does that."

JStuart
03-15-2019, 11:09 AM

If he were to change his name to 'Hansbrough', nary a drop of sweat would be disturbed on his surface without a Flagrant 1 being called....

J4Kop99
03-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Not sure how KenPom's SOS rating compares to others but he has UNC at 3rd toughest, Kansas at #1 and us at 14th.

Penn State had the 2nd toughest SOS...

jv001
03-15-2019, 11:12 AM
In one of Coach K's interviews recently (I think it was one on GoDuke), he mentioned that Duke spent the past week not only re-drilling stuff they used to run before Zion got hurt but also installing new stuff that they would've installed had Zion not gotten hurt. (Obviously against Cuse we had to run zone offense and not any of the new stuff.) I'm wondering if one of those things was to run more 4/5 ball screens for Zion; that is, have Javin come set a high ball screen for Zion, which in this case, would force Brooks and Maye out of their comfort zone. Usually "4"s don't have a handle like Zion, so the opposing team's two bigs aren't used to having to defend a ball screen in tandem; usually it's a perimeter player guarding the ball-handler and the big man hedging or dropping, for example.

Thanks TM for that information on the Coach K interview. I like the 4/5 ball screen and any other set plays for Zion and wouldn't mind seeing some picknrolls for RJ and Zion. Just be ready for the flops that the cheats will throw at us. My biggest wish is that TV Teddy is no where to be found. GoDuke!

Steven43
03-15-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm not confident.

Yeah, well, he DIDN’T play. It’s not conjecture. Why would they be sick of hearing an obvious fact? I can tell you with certainty that Blue Devils fans (and maybe Duke’s players, too) are sick of UNC fans perversely using Zion’s injury against Duke in claiming that him being out and the team then not playing at the level they were before his injury PROVES they are not a good team — that Duke is simply a one-man army.

It’s convoluted, nonsensical thinking, but they assert it with 100% confidence and certainty. And that is even after Duke played them close at the Smith Center without Zion. It’s a ludicrous argument. Zion is part of the freaking team. You can’t talk about how good or bad Duke’s team is without Zion. What is the point of that? It just makes no sense. I swear, UNC has some of the dumbest, most pig-headed fans in all of sports. How did they collectively become so ignorant?

gocanes0506
03-15-2019, 11:17 AM
hopefully we saved all our shots for tonight. Having strong shooting performances from everyone would be much appreciated. Having two of White, AOC, Tre, and Cam making 3+ threes would be huge.

AGDukesky
03-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Not sure how KenPom's SOS rating compares to others but he has UNC at 3rd toughest, Kansas at #1 and us at 14th.

Penn State had the 2nd toughest SOS...

Doubt Kenpom accurately discounts playing Duke without Zion twice (and once without Bolden). Our out of conference and conference schedules had more difficult games especially given our injuries. Maybe our cupcakes were a little worse...

uh_no
03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Doubt Kenpom accurately discounts playing Duke without Zion twice (and once without Bolden). Our out of conference and conference schedules had more difficult games especially given our injuries. Maybe our cupcakes were a little worse...

yeah, trying to wrap SOS up into a single number is a bit of a fools errand.

azzefkram
03-15-2019, 11:20 AM
While I wouldn't call myself confident, I think Duke matches up a lot better with unc when we have Zion.

Zion >>>> Maye (and, as much as it pains me to admit this, Maye is a really good player)
Javin = Brooks
Honorable Cam < Dishonorable Cam (though it's closer than many think)
RJ >> Williams (unless aided by zebras)
Tre > Coby (maybe biased by the correct shade of blue glasses)
Good Bench > Naughty Bench
K >> Roy

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2019, 11:23 AM
While I wouldn't call myself confident, I think Duke matches up a lot better with unc when we have Zion.

Zion >>>> Maye (and, as much as it pains me to admit this, Maye is a really good player)
Javin = Brooks
K >> Roy
You forgot:
Brotherhood >>> The Cheater Way

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 11:27 AM

The strength of our schedule doesn’t change because a player on our team isn’t available.

The strength of our team that goes into determining our opponents strength of schedule is based on our body of work. So SOS can change as our opponents go through the year.

For example, as Ky continued winning through the year it helped our SOS. If three of their starters were lost for half the year and they lost 15 in a row, our SOS would be weaker, even though we played them while they were at full strength

Dukebasketball2020
03-15-2019, 11:27 AM
I think duke should start tonight with Zion, RJ, Tre, Cam, and Goldwire (Yes Goldwire). I think Goldwire will be more effective on defense than anyone else we can throw out there. Javin isn't doing anything for me and when Jack is not hitting from outside he isn't doing anything either.

uh_no
03-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Javin = Brooks
K >> Roy

ooof. I think those glasses are so darkly tinted you might get a ticket. Credit where credit is due....coby white is having a fantastic campaign.

I'd be willing to bet UNC's bench puts up better numbers than ours....given like 95% of our scoring comes from 3 guys.

mattman91
03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
ooof. I think those glasses are so darkly tinted you might get a ticket. Credit where credit is due...coby white is having a fantastic campaign.

I'd be willing to bet UNC's bench puts up better numbers than ours...given like 95% of our scoring comes from 3 guys.

100% agree.

I was going to say about the same on both points.

Coby is VERY good, and keeps getting better. Tre is solid, but has clearly regressed.

oakvillebluedevil
03-15-2019, 11:49 AM
This is the most I've wanted to win a non-NCAA tournament Duke basketball game in a long time. Maybe since going into the 82-50 game in 2010 when we hadn't won a home carolina game in 4 years

Ever since Zion went down, probably 30% of my Duke basketball brain has been thinking about him getting a healthy shot against the holes. He just opens up angles and options no one else in the country does, and takes the exact ones away that UNC has killed us with. Here's hoping he stays healthy and we avoid one of the bad outlier performances (they go nuclear from 3, we go nuclear winter from 3, etc.) - knocking on all the wood

What a day - it's a day like this that I'm incredibly grateful to be a Duke fan. Most never get to have the joy of caring so much about something as fun as this.

Troublemaker
03-15-2019, 11:53 AM
I think duke should start tonight with Zion, RJ, Tre, Cam, and Goldwire (Yes Goldwire). I think Goldwire will be more effective on defense than anyone else we can throw out there. Javin isn't doing anything for me and when Jack is not hitting from outside he isn't doing anything either.

Javin has been playing well (including last night) and Duke has defended UNC very well the first two games; we could see JGold tonight but not for the reasons you listed.

Also, Jack might have a mental block or match up poorly against Syracuse (Coach actually gave him a DNP when we played up @Cuse), but I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back tonight.

billy
03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
No difference, imo. White hit 4 threes against us -- two was Javin giving him too much room, one was Cam giving him too much room. And one -- the first one -- was just a nasty Harden-esque stepback on Cam that perhaps deserves a hat tip. Generally, we need to press up more outside and make him beat us with drives. Especially if Zion is back there around the basket. White was 4-8 in two-pt range, which is decent but isn't going to beat us, and he only shot one FT. Make him beat us from two.

Thanks for your reply. I realized after typing my question that a major factor was that we usually have Zion and/or Bolden in the game to provide (formidable) secondary help if the primary defender is beat. For that game, we had neither.

DavidBenAkiva
03-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Really don't know what to make of Duke right now and this game in particular. For long stretches, Duke looked both dominant and awful against Syracuse, who was playing without their best player. Was that due to their incredible shooting? Was it due to Duke's sloppiness? Was it due to the way that the zone that Syracuse runs is particularly difficult for this particular Duke team?

It seems pretty clear that Duke's defense was ok in the first two games against UNC. It was good enough to win. The offense was the thing that really needed to improve. Now Duke has a third scorer that is incredibly efficient at the rim, an area where UNC struggles. And Duke added its best rebounder back into the fold. And a player that can generate turnovers, another area where UNC struggles. And a player that put the opposing bigs into foul trouble.

This UNC team is not nearly as deep in the post as it has been in recent years. After Brooks and Maye, there just isn't much there. Sterling Manley isn't back from his injuries in January and hasn't been all that effective this year anyway. Brandon Huffman has barely played and is even less effective. Against Louisville, Brooks picked up 4 fouls in 23 minutes while Nassir Little had 3 fouls and 2 turnovers in 16 minutes. And that was in a game in which Louisville shot just 8 free throws. How much pressure will Zion apply to those two throughout the game? And given his physical gifts, will the refs call a tight game?

This is probably a dumb thing to note, but the reason why UNC won last week was that they shot the ball well. That's usually how it works, right? In particular, Kenny Williams was 4-7 from 3 and scored 18 points, double his usual output and his season high. He's scored in single figures in 8 of the past 10 games, a stretch where he's shot the ball 26.2% from 3-point range. I'm not saying that UNC's win was a fluke last week. It's just that they got some extreme luck from one of their players when they absolutely needed it.

So I think this one comes down to shooting. Duke has to hold 2 of the 3 of Coby White, Luke Maye, and Cam Johnson in check and then hope that their other guys have an outlier game. The margin of error for Duke is more favorable this time around.

AGDukesky
03-15-2019, 12:55 PM
The strength of our schedule doesn’t change because a player on our team isn’t available.

The strength of our team that goes into determining our opponents strength of schedule is based on our body of work. So SOS can change as our opponents go through the year.

For example, as Ky continued winning through the year it helped our SOS. If three of their starters were lost for half the year and they lost 15 in a row, our SOS would be weaker, even though we played them while they were at full strength

Understood. The point I was addressing was the implication that UNC was hot because of its winning streak and the better overall SOS. Due to the injuries to Duke, it made all of those games a higher probability of losing and not an indication Duke was less “hot” simply by struggling. However, I could have made the point better (and probably still need to).

Neals384
03-15-2019, 12:59 PM
100% of unc’s defensive “plan” against Zion and RJ is going to be to flop on every drive. Hopefully RJ learned from experiencing that at the dump and will adjust a bit.

And speaking of charges, the only way UNC stops Zion is with charges, and I guarantee Williams is practicing charges. Williamson, Barrett, and Cam need to be prepared for that. Although with Cam, he's guaranteed at least 1 charge if he drives the ball...

Special! Get the Flop-A-Matic "Williams" model for just 3 easy payments of $29.99. Call now, and we'll throw in the Flop-A-Matic "Maye" model for free! Just pay P&H.

Lar77
03-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Javin = Brooks
K >> Roy

I love the enthusiasm.

Seriously, been thinking about how well our defense matches up. Where we have been hurt in the past two games (w/o Zion) is on switches and screens. That changes with Zion in the lineup.

We can't be sloppy with the ball and we have to get rebounds. I would love to see us demolish them, but in the end, win and advance

rsvman
03-15-2019, 01:19 PM
uNC wins this game by getting our stars into foul trouble, which they do by drawing charges. The charge/block pendulum has swung all the way toward charge.

I hope Coach K is telling EVERYBODY to keep their arms glued to their sides when they drive and to do some jump-stops and floaters in the lane. If RJ, Zion, and/or Cam spend a large amount of time on the bench, we are toast.

Duke wins this game by keeping White and Johnson from shooting and making a lot of threes, and by not giving the refs reasons to call charging fouls. It also helps to value transition D above almost every other basketball virtue.

devildeac
03-15-2019, 01:24 PM
uNC wins this game by getting our stars into foul trouble, which they do by drawing charges. The charge/block pendulum has swung all the way toward charge.

I hope Coach K is telling EVERYBODY to keep their arms glued to their sides when they drive and to do some jump-stops and floaters in the lane. If RJ, Zion, and/or Cam spend a large amount of time on the bench, we are toast.

Duke wins this game by keeping White and Johnson from shooting and making a lot of threes, and by not giving the refs reasons to call charging fouls. It also helps to value transition D above almost every other basketball virtue.

And the cheats will still figure out ways to flop. :mad:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 01:33 PM
And the cheats will still figure out ways to flop. :mad:

Sure. But if you flop as a play stops short and pops a ten foot jumper (swish) you end up looking like a total tool.

azzefkram
03-15-2019, 01:58 PM
ooof. I think those glasses are so darkly tinted you might get a ticket. Credit where credit is due...coby white is having a fantastic campaign.

I'd be willing to bet UNC's bench puts up better numbers than ours...given like 95% of our scoring comes from 3 guys.

Coby is a heck of a player but in the first game he went 3-14 with 6 TOs. I think having Zion back helps the rest of the team's defense. Tre is going to be able to hound him much of the game. As for the bench, defense counts and I like what Duke can get from Jack and Jordan. Alex may even chip in some offense.

UrinalCake
03-15-2019, 02:03 PM
UNC working through their defensive sets at today’s practice

https://gfycat.com/reliablegianthairstreak

devildeac
03-15-2019, 02:15 PM

LMAO.

If UC does not win the internet/get POTD/unanimous MOTM for this post, the world should come to an end.

I'd spork ya, but you know the standard response. Virtual sporks will have to suffice.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Sporks have flown.

Nugget
03-15-2019, 02:37 PM

I think the poster's point was that Carolina's SOS is to some degree artificially propped up by the fact that they played us twice without Zion (when we were markedly worse than the Top 1-3 team we otherwise have been throughout the season, but UNC's SOS still gets "full credit" for having played Duke).

I don't think it's a material effect -- and, in any event, trying to parse a meaningful difference from having an SOS that is #1 or #3 or #5 or #14 in the country doesn't make much sense to me.

While the poster was talking about Ken Pom's SOS rankings, there seem to be others one could point to that come out differently.

For example, under Warren Nolan's "SOS" rankings (unclear to me how he does them), we are #2 and UNC is #5 -- http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/sos

And, the RPI SOS has us #2 and UNC #5 -- http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/rpi-live

Finally, and most importantly, the Net Team Sheets -- i.e., what the Committee is mostly likely actually working off of, has Duke at #3 SOS and UNC at #4 -- https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/NET%20Team%20Sheets%20-%20Games%20through%20March%2014,%202019.pdf

dukelifer
03-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Duke needs to treat this game as the championship- defense will win it. UNC is never out of games because they have three good 3 point shooters- and another who can get hot! Duke has no good three point shooters- but a few that can get warmish. But Duke can drive the ball really well and apply pressure on D. This is a game that will be won in the last few minutes- which means players need to execute.

Matches
03-15-2019, 03:09 PM

LOL. Is it possible RJ Barrett just has really bad breath? :)

Someone should dub Bilas on it gushing over the outstanding "defense".

Bob Green
03-15-2019, 04:53 PM
We will need to shoot better on 3 PT FG to win tonight:

1st Game: 8-39 (20.5%)
2nd Game: 8-32 (25%)

Carolina is playing great ball right now so we will have to have a solid defensive game, get back on defense, limit transition opportunities and second chance points, etc...but as Kedsy has pointed out multiple times, we lost because of under performing on offense.

The Duke player with a "Big Red Circle" around him is Tre Jones. If Carolina opts to lay off him using the player "guarding" Tre to double team, Tre has to make them pay by knocking down open looks. He has to shoot better than 1-6 (1st game) and 1-3 (2nd game) on 3 PT FG.

Having Zion Williamson playing will make a huge difference but I still believe the key to the game will be making shots.

Wildling
03-15-2019, 05:21 PM
When is the last time Duke lost 3 times in one season against the cheats?

As for the game tonight, we must, and I can't stress this enough, MUST get offensive production from Tre tonight. I know that's asking a lot, but if he's hitting those floaters, driving and dishing and or driving and scoring, that opens up sooooooooooooooooo much more for the entire team.

Please Tre, if there is a game we need you to get buckets, it's tonight my man!

GoDuke2015
03-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Good question - I have no idea? anyone know?

Bob Green
03-15-2019, 05:39 PM

1975-76 season according to this article:

https://balldurham.com/2019/03/15/duke-basketball-sky-fall-tar-heels/

ns7
03-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Good question - I have no idea? anyone know?

Last time UNC won 3 in a row was across two seasons: 2006-2007. Last time they won 3 in a season was 1976 according to this link.
https://cbbseries.com/compare/north-carolina/versus/duke/games

The teams used to play three times a year with an early game in Greensboro. There was a big four tournament in Greensboro from 1971 to 1981.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_Tournament

The last time we won 3 in a season was 2002.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 05:50 PM
1975-76 season according to this article:

https://balldurham.com/2019/03/15/duke-basketball-sky-fall-tar-heels/

The broadcast last night said our last 3 loss season against one team was Tim Duncan and Wake, I believe in 1995 (which sounds right for other reasons).

UNC this year is no Duncan Wake Forest. This is not 1995.

gocanes0506
03-15-2019, 05:55 PM

As for the game tonight, we must, and I can't stress this enough, MUST get offensive production from Tre tonight. I know that's asking a lot, but if he's hitting those floaters, driving and dishing and or driving and scoring, that opens up sooooooooooooooooo much more for the entire team.

Please Tre, if there is a game we need you to get buckets, it's tonight my man!

The last time Duke lost 3 times is 1976. Duke has beaten UNC 3 times in a season 3 times since then.

Duke has lost to UNC 3 times in a season 10 times. Duke has won 3 in a season over UNC 4 times. Duke and UNC have played at least 3 times in a season 41 times. I say at least 3 because Duke and UNC have played 4 times in a season, 3 times.

Most recent examples of Duke losing the two regular season games but winning the conference tourney game is 1980 and 1984.

Wildling
03-15-2019, 06:02 PM
I knew you guys would pull through finding such dark days of despair!

ncexnyc
03-15-2019, 06:38 PM

Well you had me fooled. I thought your video would be about how to trip someone. I guess a good video of them practicing there offensive sets would be a video showing someone climbing on another guy's back as they seem quite proficient on that.

-jk
03-15-2019, 06:40 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

uh_no
03-15-2019, 06:44 PM
Coby is a heck of a player but in the first game he went 3-14 with 6 TOs. I think having Zion back helps the rest of the team's defense. Tre is going to be able to hound him much of the game. As for the bench, defense counts and I like what Duke can get from Jack and Jordan. Alex may even chip in some offense.

quite the cherry pick. in the second game he had 21 points and 0 TOs, and 3 blocks to boot. Even if you call it a "tie" head to head, Coby white still has the better overall numbers.

Tre is the better defender, sure, but he's not enough of a consistent offensive threat to make up the difference.

utahdevil
03-15-2019, 07:19 PM
No sign of TV Teddy or Ayers in this UVA/FSU game. I've got a bad feeling that UNCheats may flop their way to victory...

devildeac
03-15-2019, 07:30 PM
No sign of TV Teddy or Ayers in this UVA/FSU game. I've got a bad feeling that UNCheats may flop their way to victory...

We may have to send EMS to attend to weezie if we get teletubby turble teddy and/or evil eades for our game with the cheats. The possibilities are nauseating me.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2019, 07:32 PM

This is why I had multiple double vodkas with dinner on the waterfront in Beaufort....

Steven43
03-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Nah, we got this.

Bigwayne17
03-15-2019, 07:48 PM
This is why I had multiple double vodkas with dinner on the waterfront in Beaufort...

Byew-fort or Bo-fort? (NC or SC, that is...)

Used to keep my boat at homer smiths in Bo-fort...one of my favorite places in the world.

On topic—I think our guys adjust and are careful enough to stay out of early foul trouble. Cam has to have been practicing a 15 foot pull up, right? He could be so dangerous with that!

jwillfan
03-15-2019, 07:59 PM
This is why I had multiple double vodkas with dinner on the waterfront in Beaufort...
Jealous about how relaxed you will be but not your prospect of staying awake for the 2nd half

UrinalCake
03-15-2019, 08:07 PM
If it’s any consolation, CHeat fans hate TV Teddy just as much as we do.

ns7
03-15-2019, 08:10 PM
I saw we are favored by 4.5. Let's say home court is worth 4 points. That means we would be favored by 0.5 at UNC (assuming Charlotte is neutral). However we were actually 5 point dogs. That means Zion is worth 5.5 points according to Vegas.

dukelion
03-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Just confident on this one.....Zion's back, revenge, and it's just mentally difficult to beat a team three times in a season.

We got this......now let's do it in style.

Kjeffrey
03-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Are officials not announced prior to games? Crossing everything TV Teddy will not be in the game tonight.

PSurprise
03-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Im calling it. Zion is going for 78 points on 39-39 shooting, all dunks. You heard it here first

MChambers
03-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Im calling it. Zion is going for 78 points on 39-39 shooting, all dunks. You heard it here first

No 3s?

jipops
03-15-2019, 08:41 PM
I think the winner of this one wins tomorrow. And I’m still thinking we get our butts kicked tonight. We just haven’t been a cohesive unit. And ufc very much is.

godins
03-15-2019, 08:50 PM
I think the winner of this one wins tomorrow. And I’m still thinking we get our butts kicked tonight. We just haven’t been a cohesive unit. And ufc very much is.

Our paradigm of pessimism :p

JStuart
03-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Seriously, is there anyway we can find out the officials before they walk on the court?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 09:05 PM

How could we be cohesive with all the games we have been missing big pieces lately?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Boy. They keep reviewing plays and our game might start before midnight

slower
03-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Just confident on this one....Zion's back, revenge, and it's just mentally difficult to beat a team three times in a season.

We got this...now let's do it in style.
Not all of us share your confidence. But, anything can happen.

Gotta have "good Cam" to win this one.

DavidBenAkiva
03-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Seriously, is there anyway we can find out the officials before they walk on the court?

Roger Ayers, Jamie Luckie, Clarence Armstrong

Yuck, Ayers

knicknut
03-15-2019, 09:33 PM
I'm here and despite a bad view from the cheap seats, TV Teddy does NOT appear to be in the building!

duke4ever19
03-15-2019, 09:34 PM
I'm here and despite a bad view from the cheap seats, TV Teddy does NOT appear to be in the building!

Good news. Seth and Jay Will just picked against us. We are a lock.

BigZ
03-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Let’s blow these losers off the court

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Let's play our game and end the night with an epitaph for Luke Maye.

BigZ
03-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Don’t leave cCam Johnson

Ballboy1998
03-15-2019, 09:45 PM
I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. unc.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 09:47 PM
They just called Jack for a foul on White that he did not commit. Of course there was no replay.

Kjeffrey
03-15-2019, 09:48 PM
They just called Jack for a foul on White that he did not commit. Of course there was no replay.

And yet no fouls on the other end - just great defense according to Bilas.

WHOneedsSOX
03-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Is this what it was like to play Duke 10 years ago with all the flopping?

WHOneedsSOX
03-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Great, Zion hurt again...

Steven43
03-15-2019, 09:51 PM
I’m wondering why no one has yet taught Cam how to properly drive to the basket. I don’t understand.

Kjeffrey
03-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Bilas pontificates about too many offensive fouls being called except when they are on Reddish and Barrett

AtlBluRew
03-15-2019, 09:52 PM
And yet no fouls on the other end - just great defense according to Bilas.

It feels perverted listening to Bilas gush about UNC. Get a room, you two.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Bilas said Williamson is “limping a little bit”. I don’t see any limp at all.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 09:53 PM
We better tighten up.smh

Steven43
03-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Alex was afraid to shoot a wide-open three. Luckily, Javin bailed him out.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Bilas said Williamson is “limping a little bit”. I don’t see any limp at all.

Bilas head has been limping for a while.

BigZ
03-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Roy > K

kaufmjo
03-15-2019, 09:55 PM
This is really frustrating to watch and worse to listen to Bilas boner for unc. We have two guys in White and O’Connell that can’t ahoot

WHOneedsSOX
03-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Zion looks pissed. Beast coming out soon.

Steven43
Remember when we used to have one or two guys on every team who could shoot as good or almost as good as Cam Johnson? It seems like a loooong time ago.

gotoguy
Grab and catch the ball. Get back on transition

BigZ
03-15-2019, 09:57 PM
K’s back problems must be back. Haven’t see him stand up in a while

Steven43
03-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Zion looks PISSED

kaufmjo
03-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Zion looks PISSEDhe should be he needs some help!

dukelion
03-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Can't wait for the advanced stat guys here to tell me our 3pt% isn't really a problem.

kako
03-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Not sure what's gotten into Reddish with the offensive drives. It's not needed with Zion in the game.

9F

sweetchiba51
03-15-2019, 10:02 PM
I hate hate hate to say it but UNC is just a better team.

jipops
This game is a mismatch. Duke not even in the same league. Just too much talent and experience.

sbroc012
Not sure what's gotten into Reddish with the offensive drives. It's not needed with Zion in the game.

9F

that's an awful call. that was a strong direct move to the basket and the defender slid under him.

luvdahops
[QUOTE=kako;1140804]Not sure what's gotten into Reddish with the offensive drives. It's not needed with Zion in the game.

I cringe whenever Cam drives. Rarely is he under control or able to finish.

Steven43

9F

Well, he can’t really shoot so he’s desperate to try to show he can do something positive. He needs a couple more years here, that’s all.

InSpades
Can't wait for the advanced stat guys here to tell me our 3pt% isn't really a problem.

We have given up 29 points in 11 minutes. That is our problem #1.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:03 PM
That's crap.

BigZ
K get off your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and yell at refs

Steven43
that's an awful call. that was a strong direct move to the basket and the defender slid under him.

I don’t think so. Cam pushed hard with his shoulder and upper body trying to create space.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:05 PM
The call against Tre was bogus, though. The Carolina dude flopped. Of course Bilas gets it wrong once again.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:06 PM
The call against Tre was bogus, though. The Carolina dude flopped. Of course Bilas gets it wrong once again.

Yep crap.

bludevil_33
This team just does not play smart. So many bonehead mistakes like that one.

Steven43
R.J. with the James Harden stepback airball three. I can’t believe he thinks he can make that shot. I think it’s more than far enough into the season for our players to know their limitations.

BigZ
Wtf RJ !???

sbroc012

both charge calls were bad. the one on Tre the defenders feet were crossed.

rsvman
03-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Why didn't RJ just let that airball go out of bounds?

fgb
K get off your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and yell at refs

it's not the refs.

kako

That's not my point. He doesn't need to drive. It's not high percentage for him especially given his frequent TOs on them.

9F

wavedukefan70s
I'm slightly aggravated at our team right now.we look soft.

UrinalCake
03-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Why didn't RJ just let that airball go out of bounds?

Trying to be aggressive and go the other way. Good idea, poor execution. Our lineup right now cannot score.

luvdahops
03-15-2019, 10:08 PM
This game is a mismatch. Duke not even in the same league. Just too much talent and experience.

And a huge advantage in offensive approach. Another clinic in terms of ball movement, spacing and cutting. And being ready to shoot. Our offense is remarkably crude by comparison.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Yeah, Duke is going to try to win the national championship in 2019 without even average three-point shooting. Probably impossible. But Zion might just be able to carry this team all the way.

kaufmjo
Why is it so much harder for duke to score than unc?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
We are doing lots of things wrong, but if we could stop making stupid mistakes, we can hang in close enough to change the tide.

On the other hand, if they keep hitting 3s and we keep creating idiotic charges, it will get ugly.

dukelion
We have given up 29 points in 11 minutes. That is our problem #1.

And everyone passes up open threes to drive into a charge.....that might have something to do with it as well.

rsvman
03-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Trying to be aggressive and go the other way. Good idea, poor execution. Our lineup right now cannot score.

I'll be that guy.... NOW it's it time for some Joey baker?

wavedukefan70s
I guess luke maye dont foul.

duke79
it's not the refs.

Yea, no doubt. There have been a few dicey calls but we're just getting outplayed. And Zion has not been a force, so far. Plus, Carolina can shoot from the outside.......unlike Duke. This COULD be another romp by Carolina. I hope I'm wrong.

bludevil_33
This team peaked in February.

Shame.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:11 PM
we better go zone

Skydog
03-15-2019, 10:12 PM
If DeLaurier had even average upper body strength he would be great.

PSurprise
03-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Let's get zone. Worth a shot

kaufmjo
Bam RJ!

jipops
And a huge advantage in offensive approach. Another clinic in terms of ball movement, spacing and cutting. And being ready to shoot. Our offense is remarkably crude by comparison.

It has been most of the season. I’ve said it over and over, the offense is a mess. All iso, K doesn’t even call plays. Could also be because we only have 2 players on the roster thar can be counted on to score.

Duke puts the two best players on the floor. But the cheats have A LOT more talent.

Steven43
Zion is showing that Luke Maye has no prayer of playing in the League.

DukieInKansas

I know this is wrong but I would really like to see a shot blocked right into Luke Maye's face.

kako
03-15-2019, 10:14 PM
This team peaked in February.

Shame.

Keep the faith!

9F

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:15 PM
R.J. with the nice rebound and very good decision to shoot (and make) the three.

sbroc012
03-15-2019, 10:16 PM

or ever set an illegal screen or seal in the lane (like he just did so white could score)

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Kenny Williams spends more time on the floor than he does upright. And Bilas
sees nothing but “great defense” out of him. It’s just pathetic. Bilas is such a UNC-lover that it’s nauseating. He’s always been like this but he has suddenly gotten much worse.

InSpades
03-15-2019, 10:17 PM
A little sign of life w/ Vrank and Jordan Goldwire?!? Hey... I'll take it from whomever I can get it from but this was not the duo I expected it from.

Let's close this half strong and make some halftime adjustments.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:18 PM
I know this is wrong but I would really like to see a shot blocked right into Luke Maye's face.

I want the heat off of it to scorch his beard.

kako
03-15-2019, 10:19 PM
Vrank playing better than I would ever have expected him to play. Since we are making buckets, the Heels can't get out on the break - helpful for him.

9F

BigZ
Stick w Cam Johnson. I notice he doesn’t like to shoot whenguarded

Skydog
Last couple minutes is first time I’ve seen Zion take plays off because of fatigue. Hard to get in game shape in practice.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Goldwire has earned the playing time over aoc.i prefer he get it.

Skydog
Why does Zion play on perimeter so much on offense. No one can stop him in the paint.

scottdude8
Jordan Goldwire matching up on Johnson has changed this game just like he did last night against Boeheim.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:22 PM
Vrank playing better than I would ever have expected him to play. Since we are making buckets, the Heels can't get out on the break - helpful for him.

9F

Yeah, vaguely reminiscent of Zoubs.

Skydog
03-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Goldwire is a defensive beast!

kaufmjo
Wow Vrank and Barry Goldwater crushed it. What a boost

wavedukefan70s
Ok 0 to 0

Steven43
Goldwire is a defensive beast!

I’ve really come around on this kid. He’s becoming a player.

godins
03-15-2019, 10:25 PM

This one already hasn't aged well.

bludevil_33
03-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Never in doubt.

SCMatt33
03-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Never thought I’d type this sentence: Big props to Vrank and Goldwire to play a huge part in clawing us back to be tied at half with UNC. We’ve been seeing flashes of this from Goldwire but a huge lift getting it from Vrank with no Bolden

kako
03-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Always keep the faith, Devil fans... tied at the friggin' half!!!!!

Vrank - kind of like the kid in Hoosiers, he needs to keep the Lord in the dribble, screen and rebound.

Barrett - waiting for him to get off.

Jones - much needed offense.

Goldwire - since he came in, Johnson cooled down. Coincidence?

Zion being Zion.

White - MIA.

DeLaurier - got boards when in but he's his usual foul magnet

AOC - MIA

We miss Bolden, but we are in this thing. Don't get down on the team, they need fan karma!

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

Danke Shane
03-15-2019, 10:27 PM
Explain to me how a slashing team that doesn’t like to take jump shots can’t even make it into the bonus, yet Carolina was in the double bonus?

fuse
03-15-2019, 10:28 PM
Thought it was getting away from us before storming back.

I feel for Javin. You can tell he wants the win and is working his tail off.
The effort just doesn’t translate to results.

Looking foreward to a strong second half.
Let’s go Duke!

Steven43
Explain to me how a slashing team that doesn’t like to take jump shots can’t even make it into the bonus, yet Carolina was in the double bonus?

I think you know the answer to that.

wavedukefan70s

5 on 8 .we didnt help ourselves.

crdaul
03-15-2019, 10:29 PM
Jamie Luckie hates Duke and it shows....

sbroc012

bogus charge calls. two charges that should have been blocks would put Duke in the bonus and uNC out

kaufmjo
Interesting we are 33% from 3 and them 21%. Worries about mean reversion in second half

Steven43
This one already hasn't aged well.

Classic

wavedukefan70s
What do we do with reddish this half.

CDu
03-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Well, we survived an awful first 10 minutes or so. Here’s hoping we win the second half. Thanks to Zion for being awesome and to the role players for stepping up while Barrett and Reddish struggled. Hoping we get good Barrett and/or Reddish in these last 20 minutes.

kako
03-15-2019, 10:31 PM
What do we do with reddish this half.

IMO he needs to D up and play O on the perimeter.

9F

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Did anyone else notice how much better Duke played when Cam was out of the game? It might not be a coincidence. We’ll see.

jv001
03-15-2019, 10:32 PM
Vrank, Tre and Jordan played the screens far better than Javin, White and Cam. Tre taking over the offense instead of RJ and Cam looks a lot smoother to me. Now let's blow them out at the start of the 2nd half. GoDuke!

I don't know what RJ was thinking when he stepped on the inline when the ball was going out of bounds off the cheats. Just remembered that play.

luvdahops
03-15-2019, 10:33 PM
I’ve really come around on this kid. He’s becoming a player.

Same here. His D is terrific and he is getting some timely buckets from hustle and anticipation.

godins
03-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Interesting we are 33% from 3 and them 21%. Worries about mean reversion in second half

I'm not sure. We were extending ball pressure and disrupting the easy looks they got in the first 10 minutes. Of course, that opens us up to other actions, but it's effective deterring 3PT looks.

DavidBenAkiva
03-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Did anyone else notice how much better Duke played when Cam was out of the game? It might not be a coincidence. We’ll see.

Was Zion also out during that terrible stretch from Cam?

He's been great against UNC in 2 games. We're going to need him to be great again to win this one. I hope he gets that fire during the halftime.

CameronBlue
Haven't even checked the box score but I counted 3 assists from Vrank. Goldwire down the lane, Zion on the lob and Tre for a corner 3. Good thing I took the over.

Holy freaking cow!

Edit: just checked the box score and they only gave him 2. Must not have counted Goldwire.

wavedukefan70s

That's what I was thinking.i also hope the rim we switch to is a soft as the other end.we had some bouncers go in.

ncexnyc
03-15-2019, 10:35 PM
After reading several pages of the in-game thread I can see why some people avoid it like the plague. I know I was fbombing the TV at home, but by not posting during the game it keeps me looking like a complete fool.

jv001
03-15-2019, 10:36 PM

This is the first game I can remember Cam not coming through on defense. I don't want to see him drive the lane again this season unless it's on a breakaway and then I'll hold my breath. GoDuke!

BigZ
03-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Goldwire turning into Matt Jones

wavedukefan70s
After reading several pages of the in-game thread I can see why some people avoid it like the plague. I know I was fbombing the TV at home, but by not posting during the game it keeps me looking like a complete fool.

I should do it more. According to my wife .my yelling at the tv I'm already a fool.😀

Steven43
Was Zion also out during that terrible stretch from Cam?

He's been great against UNC in 2 games. We're going to need him to be great again to win this one. I hope he gets that fire during the halftime.

Hmm, maybe you’re right. He’s still got one half to make up for that first one.

rsvman
03-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Goldwire turning into Matt Jones

Except that Matt could shoot the three.

Skydog
On offense Cam needs to stick to catch and shoot. He can work on his handle and pull up jumper this summer.

Bigwayne17
LET’S GO!!!

We are a second half team right?!

curtis325
03-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Vrank!

BigZ
03-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Except that Matt could shoot the three.

Didn’t he have a Jack White slump?

scottdude8
03-15-2019, 10:40 PM
What a coaching move starting Vrank and and Goldwire for the half.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:47 PM
What an absolutely awful call against Javin. Of course Bilas says nothing.

kako
03-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Nobody jinx this!!!!

DUKIECB
03-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Cam! Finally

banneheim
03-15-2019, 10:48 PM
No charge on Reddish, I’m shocked!

scottdude8
03-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Can does not let anything faze him. He obviously isn’t reading this thread. What a way to get back into the game.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Cam pulled up just enough to not get called for a charge. He’s learning!! Very nice play.

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Does whites hair not remind anyone else of sideshow bob from the Simpsons?

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Can does not let anything faze him. He obviously isn’t reading this thread. What a way to get back into the game.

Do you think Cam doesn’t realize how mediocre he’s been playing? He doesn’t need to read this thread to know it. Maybe he can make some positive plays (other than the one he just did) this half.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Does whites hair not remind anyone else of sideshow bob from the Simpsons?

100% agree. Been saying it all season.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2019, 10:53 PM
Yeah, vaguely reminiscent of Zoubs.

List some similarities between Z and Vrank. Please.

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:54 PM
Coby White is damn good. I mean, really really good.

BigZ
Cam is clueless

wavedukefan70s
Coby White is damn good. I mean, really really good.

That he is .we got sloppy.

fan345678
Three mindless turnovers right there

DUKIECB
The turnovers are killing us. Ugh

Steven43
03-15-2019, 10:55 PM
List some similarities between Z and Vrank. Please.
They’re both big, slow, and white.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

Yeah. The chat is even worse, but it has the advantage of disappearing at the end of the day.

Some folks need mood stabilizers.

rsvman
A bad minute or so. Turnovers and sloppiness with the ball!
Plus missing free throws.
Some of the same old problems.

I hope we can get some mojo back after this time out