PDA

View Full Version : WaPo article on Coach K and Duke

MChambers
03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2019/03/14/feature/coach-k-duke-basketball-aim-for-another-ncaa-tournament-title-in-one-and-done-era/?utm_term=.e9088784e2cc

It's a fairly long article.

Edit: It mentions this forum, so this gets a little recursive.

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2019/03/14/feature/coach-k-duke-basketball-aim-for-another-ncaa-tournament-title-in-one-and-done-era/?utm_term=.e9088784e2cc

Folks... this is a good example of a bald link. The mod team expects DBR posters to do more than just posting a link. Give the community a better sense of what is here. As we say in the Decorum and Posting Guidelines --

Note on Bald Links:

With the rise in popularity of Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and other social media outlets, we've noticed an increase in posts that consist solely of a link to another site or the text of a tweet or status. DBR prides itself on being a forum where every post strives to advance the conversation. Should you want to post a link or retweet, please include your opinion as to why the item is relevant (and in the case of a link, let us know why it's worth the reader's time to click on it).

Dukehk
03-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Great article!

Coach is still so fired up after all these years. The best part for me was how he went straight to Minnesota after senior night to scout mr. Matthew hurt.

weezie
03-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Shoot. Can't get into it and refuse to pay WaPo anything.

The picture of K looks pretty scary though.

WV_Iron_Duke
03-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Don't buy a hard copy of the Washington Post today and expect to find this article. The Coach K article ain't in it. Perhaps tomorrow.

BLPOG
03-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Shoot. Can't get into it and refuse to pay WaPo anything.

The picture of K looks pretty scary though.

Open it in incognito mode/private browsing window and you should be able to access it.

Billy Dat
03-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Having read so much about K, I found the stuff on his pivot to recruiting one-and-dones the most enlightening. There were specific details I had never read before.

wsb3
03-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Thanks for sharing.

devilseven
03-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-14-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanks for sharing. Lots of interesting info put together nicely. And I loved the picture with Newton and Joey Beard sitting behind K on the bench. Glory Days...

MChambers
03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
I got three thanks and an infraction for one post! Is that a record?

Okay, mods, I'll try to be wordier in the future!

cato
03-14-2019, 04:05 PM

I would assume the mod had that Coach K face on when you got the infraction. Scary!

sagegrouse
03-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Maybe the Washington Post magazine on this Sunday?

sagegrouse
03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
The thesis of the article is that, once K started coaching the national team in 2005, he absorbed what he learned from Kobe, LBron and the ilk and changed his approach to hoops.

Here is one key paragraph, right near the end:

He says Team USA taught him so much: to consider his players’ motivations and wishes, to occasionally reveal his sense of humor, to delegate to his staff. Which is why Krzyzewski leans on his three assistant coaches — whose ages average 38 years — to make sure players fully understand his instructions. Krzyzewski still demonstrates the occasional drill, though his days of taking charges are over, and some of his older players can hardly believe the fearsome man they once played for now prefers positive reinforcement, studies his phone to fuel an obsession with weather patterns, secretly maintains Twitter and Instagram profiles — Krzyzewski’s most senior colleagues claim even they don’t know his handles — to monitor his program and the world in which it operates.

Duke79UNLV77
03-14-2019, 04:37 PM
The increased delegation after 1995 surely made K’s longevity possible. I’ve sometimes wondered if it made anything approaching 7 FFs in 9 years more impossible. Either way, it’s been a great ride!

fisheyes
03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
This is the essence of K:

But Krzyzewski insists that’s one change he’s not quite ready to make.

“I’m not worn out. I love what I do,” he says. “I don’t know if the fire should’ve gone out already or is the fire just burning?”

He pauses, searching for the right words.

“I like the fire. So even in times when I’m tired, I said . . . ,” he presses his hands together and blows, as if to fuel an ember. “Because I don’t want it to go out.”

Burn baby burn!

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 06:35 PM

Sorry, MChambers... I really did not want to pop you (you are one of the good guys around here, for sure!) but the mods are making a real effort to crack down on bald links. This is a thoughtful community. We can do better than, "Here is a long article about Duke and Coach K." Yes, you posted a link to an excellent article and thanks for that... but that almost makes the fact that you provided no context or explanation even worse of a crime. Does that make sense?

-Jason "it ain't about the words, it is about the context" Evans

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
(Coach K) secretly maintains Twitter and Instagram profiles — Krzyzewski’s most senior colleagues claim even they don’t know his handles — to monitor his program and the world in which it operates.

Please, please, please let Coach K follow me on twitter!!!

I bet someone could study the followers of a bunch of different accounts and figure out what Coach K's secret handle is... but I am not up to the task.

MChambers
03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Sorry, MChambers... I really did not want to pop you (you are one of the good guys around here, for sure!) but the mods are making a real effort to crack down on bald links. This is a thoughtful community. We can do better than, "Here is a long article about Duke and Coach K." Yes, you posted a link to an excellent article and thanks for that... but that almost makes the fact that you provided no context or explanation even worse of a crime. Does that make sense?

-Jason "it ain't about the words, it is about the context" Evans

I'll take one for the team.

But a "bald" link? A little offensive to those of us who are follicly challenged, eh? Maybe a naked link?

BandAlum83
03-15-2019, 02:19 AM

I bet someone could study the followers of a bunch of different accounts and figure out what Coach K's secret handle is... but I am not up to the task.

He may be a lurker out here, as well!

brevity
03-15-2019, 02:49 AM

He may be a lurker out here, as well!

Coach K, a secret member of DBR...?

Yes I am. (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/1/6/18171552/you-tube-gold-yes-i-am-coach-k-duke-basketball)

dyedwab
03-15-2019, 09:55 AM

I believe that this is how a journalist found Jim Comey's secret twitter account - she looked at accounts who were following a certain set of people, and matched them to others, etc.

Painstaking work.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-15-2019, 10:01 AM
I believe that this is how a journalist found Jim Comey's secret twitter account - she looked at accounts who were following a certain set of people, and matched them to others, etc.

Painstaking work.

Hopefully Coach K didn't take his twitter lessons from the family of his buddy Jerry Colangelo, as that did not work out very well for Jerry's son...

Truth&Justise
03-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Was about to post the article again but just saw this thread. The article posits that the 2008 loss to West Virginia was a pivotal moment in Coach K deciding to pursue one-and-done players. So just think how remarkable that is:

It's 2008. Coach K has won 3 titles and gone to 10 Final Fours. The all-time wins record is in sight--he'll get there less than three seasons. How normal would it be for someone in that position to think "I'm the best at what I do, my way works, I'm going to keep doing it." Most would do that without even thinking about it. So how incredible that K was introspective enough and competitive enough to realize he needed to change some things about his approach, and be willing to do that.

Just incredible. That's why he's a legend. And I'm sure he'll continue to do that so he can be the best possible leader for this team, now and in the future.