PDA

View Full Version : Zion is officially back!

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 11:52 AM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1106215529587621894

All discussion of his return now goes here.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f7dc147db363449731a84c7c849a0392/tenor.gif?itemid=13215077

DaleDuke7
03-14-2019, 11:58 AM
I’m extremely happy for Zion that he is healthy again, and extremely proud of him for staying committed to this team and this season. We have a special one, folks! I’m hoping he shakes off whatever rust he may have tonight and be ready to unleash revenge tomorrow against (probably) unc.

Remind the world what a difference maker you are, Zion.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 12:05 PM
I can't remember taking a deeper breath than after the ESPN notification popped onto my phone. It's March baby, let's goooooooooo.

House P
03-14-2019, 12:07 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1106215529587621894

Can someone translate the following emoji string?

3 tubs of popcorn
3 windy clouds
3 rockets
1 jet plane
1 googly eyes
1 director's clipboard
1 locomotive engine
2 exclamation points
1 plate w/ knife and fork
1 shining sun
1 lion
1 smiling purple devil

My emoji comprehension is pretty limited, but I gather that it translates to something like "Zion is tired of watching Luke Maye celebrate!"

hudlow
03-14-2019, 12:16 PM
I'm always happy to see a vigil thread closed...

GO DUKE!

Green Wave Dukie
03-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Is bluegrassdevil1 still day to day?

Indoor66
03-14-2019, 12:21 PM

3 tubs of popcorn
3 windy clouds
3 rockets
1 jet plane
1 googly eyes
1 director's clipboard
1 locomotive engine
2 exclamation points
1 shining sun
1 lion
1 smiling purple devil

My emoji comprehension is pretty limited, but I gather that it translates to something like "Zion is tired of watching Luke Maye celebrate!"

Just use: ;):D:eek::cool:

BD80
03-14-2019, 12:22 PM

His day has come ...

bigperm13
03-14-2019, 12:25 PM

3 tubs of popcorn
3 windy clouds
3 rockets
1 jet plane
1 googly eyes
1 director's clipboard
1 locomotive engine
2 exclamation points
1 shining sun
1 lion
1 smiling purple devil

Pretty much a correct translation there. I'll add - ...and he's gonna dine on the competition so we better get our popcorn out each day and enjoy the show.

left_hook_lacey
03-14-2019, 12:40 PM

He is no longer with us. May his sacrifice live on in our minds.

Utley
03-14-2019, 12:41 PM
ESPN has a great feature today showing every one of Zion’s dunk. Would link it if I weren’t a Luddite. Highly recommend checking it out - It’s a great way to celebrate the news - or just anytime you need to
Lick your spirits up :)

left_hook_lacey
03-14-2019, 12:42 PM
ESPN has a great feature today showing every one of Zion’s dunk. Would link it if I weren’t a Luddite. Highly recommend checking it out - It’s a great way to celebrate the news - or just anytime you need to

I've never licked my spirits up, but it sounds like something I'd be willing to try once, after a few pints. :cool:

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Here it is... magical!

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26237677/zion-astonishing-slam-index

simplyluvin
03-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Now the question is, what shoe will Zion wear? If I were Duke, I'd have asked Nike to reinforce Z's shoe with titanium or something.

Dukehk
03-14-2019, 12:53 PM
I feel like we did the right thing and made sure he had more than enough time to heal. We could have rushed him back for the unc game, similar to bagley who sat out four not five games, but we didn’t.

Just feel like his presence alone gives us a lift but I hope his teammates can put it together and help him through these 3 days. We need guys to step up and be consistent (Cam, Jack etc.) especially with bolden out too. Expecting Zion to also be a little gassed with potentially 3 games in 3 days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Okay.

Serious(ish) question: can I root for UNC because I want SOOOOOO BADLY to watch Zion mop the floor with that DISGUSTING shade of blue tomorrow night, ending any sort of fairy tale idea Heel fans might have that their team can hang with our full roster this year?

Jeffrey
03-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Okay.

Serious(ish) question: can I root for UNC ?

Blasphemy!

J4Kop99
03-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Now the question is, what shoe will Zion wear? If I were Duke, I'd have asked Nike to reinforce Z's shoe with titanium or something.

Supposedly they will be Nike Kyries. Duke has already posted a photo to their instagram with Zion wearing white nikes

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Pic on Instagram of him lacing up the Kyrie's

Tooold
03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Okay.

Serious(ish) question: can I root for UNC because I want SOOOOOO BADLY to watch Zion mop the floor with that DISGUSTING shade of blue tomorrow night, ending any sort of fairy tale idea Heel fans might have that their team can hang with our full roster this year?

No. There is never a justification for rooting for cheaters.

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Kyrie's shoe sales just got a boost

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1oZw_sWkAE9juD.jpg

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Simple math:

Z + KI > (Z + PG)^x where x = 9f

BD80
03-14-2019, 01:13 PM

I would call this evidence of a confidential $ settlement between Nike, Zion and Duke.

Could Nike have scripted a better timeline since the injury?

Will there ever in the history or future of sports be more attention paid to the shoes an athlete is wearing?

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 01:16 PM
omg omg omg omg omg omg omg...

What a great day!

As a basketball fan, Zion is unbelievable. As a college basketball fan, Zion is a hope of light. As a Duke basketball fan, Zion is the most incredible human in the galaxy. I would think about giving up one of my future children to watch him dominate for the next 9 games.

hudlow
03-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Okay.

I'll put it like this, I won't be upset if Louisville loses tonight.

Dukehk
03-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Zion shooting his shot beforehand!!!

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/zion-williamson-exposed-for-thirsty-snapchat-photos-news.74477.html

Have to say, kids will be kids and it’s probably bad form for the girl to expose him like that. But glad to see Zion is well and good.

UrinalCake
03-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Totally idiotic question here but aren’t the Kyries made for guards?

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Kyries signature feature are treads that ride up the side of the shoe. More applicable for guards who stop on a dime, but also 280 lb ballerinas who stop on a dime.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Okay.

A. It is always wrong to root for them.

B. Even tomorrow we will not be at full roster strength, as Bolden will not be playing. How quickly we forget!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2019, 02:26 PM
A. It is always wrong to root for them.

B. Even tomorrow we will not be at full roster strength, as Bolden will not be playing. How quickly we forget!

Oh, I know we don't have Bolden. But thumping them with Zion and no Bolden would destroy their fantasy of beating us at full strength. Which, we could of course do in a few weeks anyways.

Thanks for the answers. I admit part of me wants to see Zion hang 50 on the Tar Heels.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Zion shooting his shot beforehand!!!

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/zion-williamson-exposed-for-thirsty-snapchat-photos-news.74477.html

Have to say, kids will be kids and it’s probably bad form for the girl to expose him like that. But glad to see Zion is well and good.

Without knowing if there was any conversation before that line or if that was his opener I'll go ahead and say that is one of the worst pickup lines I've ever heard, which is saying something because I've heard my own. Incredibly tacky for her to post it online though (although you have to know someone from unc is likely to jump at a chance to roast a Duke player). Show it to some friends, have a laugh, and move on.

I'm going to get controversial and say that Kyrie's shoes are...not very good looking. I'd never really paid attention before but can't say I'm a fan.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm going to get controversial and say that Kyrie's shoes are...not very good looking. I'd never really paid attention before but can't say I'm a fan.

???

I'd say the one thing about them is they are gorgeous and really creative!

As someone who wore Kyrie 1s for 3 years (for basketball purposes), I do not like them at all (I'm a 4/5 who cannot stop on a dime). I now wear Kobe's and they are sooooooo much better/more comfortable.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 02:41 PM
???

I'd say the one thing about them is they are gorgeous and really creative!

As someone who wore Kyrie 1s for 3 years (for basketball purposes), I do not like them at all (I'm a 4/5 who cannot stop on a dime). I now wear Kobe's and they are sooooooo much better/more comfortable.

On further review after some googling, I think I just don't like the all-whites Zion is wearing. Other color schemes look much better.

cakerace
03-14-2019, 02:48 PM
I believe I could be satisfied with a 50-50 split of our games with uNC this year...

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 02:50 PM
I believe I could be satisfied with a 50-50 split of our games with uNC this year...

Pretty sure I should just watch that last game from a hospital. No chance in hell I survive without a heart attack.

robed deity
03-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Pretty sure I should just watch that last game from a hospital. No chance in hell I survive without a heart attack.

The basketball gods have spared us. With the success both teams have had, it seems more likely than not to have happened at least once.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 03:01 PM
The basketball gods have spared us. With the success both teams have had, it seems more likely than not to have happened at least once.

At face value yes, but two teams from the same conference have only made the championship game twice (since expansion to 64) so it is maybe a little less surprising. Interestingly, it is fairly routine for 2 teams to make the Final Four (although some of those years they might be on the same side of the bracket which prevents meeting in the championship game).

BLPOG
03-14-2019, 03:05 PM
At face value yes, but two teams from the same conference have only made the championship game twice (since expansion to 64) so it is maybe a little less surprising. Interestingly, it is fairly routine for 2 teams to make the Final Four (although some of those years they might be on the same side of the bracket which prevents meeting in the championship game).

IIRC there have been two times we've been close to facing them in the FF. One was 1991, when Kansas beat them in the semis on the other side of the bracket.

I can't remember what the other was.

brevity
03-14-2019, 03:15 PM
IIRC there have been two times we've been close to facing them in the FF. One was 1991, when Kansas beat them in the semis on the other side of the bracket.

I can't remember what the other was.

It was 1999. Duke won the East Regional. Carolina had a clear shot to win the West Regional, but lost to Weber State in the first round.

duke79
03-14-2019, 03:18 PM

I hope the seams have been double super-glued! For Zion's sake and Nike's stock price.

cato
03-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Okay.

No.

Next question?

Edouble
03-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Great day to be a Duke fan! Good job to everyone who hung in there.

In the words of Mama Zion: "Make them pay."

rolm
03-14-2019, 04:24 PM
He is no longer with us. May his sacrifice live on in our minds.

As the saying goes, "to err is human; to forgive, divine". He should be invited back to the forum and what he pledged should be forgotten. We all say things from time to time that we regret. Let's not hold him to his pledge.

duke4ever19
03-14-2019, 04:28 PM

I'm going to recommend Michelin tires for Zion tonight.

Rich
03-14-2019, 04:36 PM
I have to admit, all this hype is making me anxious. It's too much hype. It's as if the entire ESPN programming revolves around Zion's return. I know he's a great player, perhaps even transcendent, but we are not invincible. Not even close. We still have major shortcomings shooting the three. Don't get me wrong, we're a much better and complete team with Zion, but Marques' absence is not a minor ordeal. I just hope the team comes out focused and is not buying the hype. From here on out it's win or go home. Every minute of every game has to be played with focus and a sense of urgency.

curtis325
03-14-2019, 05:32 PM
I'm going to recommend Michelin tires for Zion tonight.

I hope the pit crew is ready at the first TV timeout.

Troublemaker
03-14-2019, 05:35 PM
From Bleacher Report:
“For the people that think I should just stop playing in college...thanks, but no thanks.”
My KING

Here's the video message from Zion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS66AO3OLTM

WiJoe
03-14-2019, 05:35 PM
I have to admit, all this hype is making me anxious. It's too much hype. It's as if the entire ESPN programming revolves around Zion's return. I know he's a great player, perhaps even transcendent, but we are not invincible. Not even close. We still have major shortcomings shooting the three. Don't get me wrong, we're a much better and complete team with Zion, but Marques' absence is not a minor ordeal. I just hope the team comes out focused and is not buying the hype. From here on out it's win or go home. Every minute of every game has to be played with focus and a sense of urgency.

you can avoid espn by watching Raycom.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 05:38 PM

While true, I am buying into the hype. Not that Duke is invincible with Zion (although it's pretty close). But that ZION is coming back to play basketball. This isn't about Duke (as much as we want it to be). This is about Zion first, second, and third. Folks watch our games this year because of Zion and not because of Coach K, Cam, RJ, or Tre.

The hype isn't making me anxious. Nike's poorly made shoes are making me anxious.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 06:10 PM
While true, I am buying into the hype. Not that Duke is invincible with Zion (although it's pretty close). But that ZION is coming back to play basketball. This isn't about Duke (as much as we want it to be). This is about Zion first, second, and third. Folks watch our games this year because of Zion and not because of Coach K, Cam, RJ, or Tre.

The hype isn't making me anxious. Nike's poorly made shoes are making me anxious.

25 minutes against louisville says different.

We're a really really really really good team....but nowhere close to invincible. The lack of good three point shooting makes us inflexible. The lack of much scoring production outside 3 guys is challenging. The fact that one of those three guys is terribly inconsistent is very worrying in an elimination tournament.

Duke isn't even close to invincible. We have weaknesses...it's just that they're overshadowed by how incredible our strengths are. How bad we are without zion shows how un-invincible we really are. All it takes is a bit of foul trouble and the whole thing could come crashing down.

WHOneedsSOX
03-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Pretty awesome that Zion admits he never really thought about sitting out and that he wants to play for his teammates. Remember, he said he would've gone to college even if he didn't have to. He's the type of guy who would gladly play 2-3 years in college if those were the rules.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Pretty awesome that Zion admits he never really thought about sitting out and that he wants to play for his teammates. Remember, he said he would've gone to college even if he didn't have to. He's the type of guy who would gladly play 2-3 years in college if those were the rules.

He's been consistent about that all the way back to the FSU game...if he's healthy he's playing....which made the sentiment that he would shut it down all the more silly.

millerecu
03-14-2019, 06:49 PM
As soon as I heard he was playing I bought tickets and am currently heading towards Charlotte. I will cheer extremely hard against Carowina and even harder for Duke. Looking forward to watching the freak of nature play in person for the first time.

WHOneedsSOX
He's been consistent about that all the way back to the FSU game...if he's healthy he's playing...which made the sentiment that he would shut it down all the more silly.

Yeah, I never believed he wouldn't play if he was healthy. He loves playing and his teammates too much to do that. Silly that people were saying he should sit out. He could've/would've done that exact same move in practice.

jimsumner

There's nothing in the rules to keep him from gladly playing college ball for 2-3 years.

WHOneedsSOX
03-14-2019, 06:53 PM
There's nothing in the rules to keep him from gladly playing college ball for 2-3 years.

I meant mandatory like the rule is now for 1 year in college. Just meant he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would complain about having to stay longer if he had to.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 06:56 PM

we can dream. In any case, I hope that he'll be a fantastic ambassador for duke or years to come.

Reddevil
03-14-2019, 07:00 PM
As the saying goes, "to err is human; to forgive, divine". He should be invited back to the forum and what he pledged should be forgotten. We all say things from time to time that we regret. Let's not hold him to his pledge.

He should be forgiven, but this should not be forgotten. It should become part of DBR lore like "It's over", cinderblocks, etc.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 07:01 PM
He should be forgiven, but this should not be forgotten. It should become part of DBR lore like "It's over", cinderblocks, etc.

custom flair?

CDu
03-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Maybe make him have it in his signature for perpetuity.

Indoor66
03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
custom flair?

Or flail.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Or flail.

instead of flames or pitchforks, he'll just have a single, solitary crow. His picture will be forcibly changed to a picture of him eating a hat, and mousing over it will yield a link to his infamous post. Forever.

Indoor66
03-14-2019, 07:32 PM
instead of flames or pitchforks, he'll just have a single, solitary crow. His picture will be forcibly changed to a picture of him eating a hat, and mousing over it will yield a link to his infamous post. Forever.

Golly, I don't want to make you angry. At least flailing is over pretty quickly.😂

BLPOG
03-14-2019, 07:43 PM
Maybe make him have it in his signature for perpetuity.

Or buy pies for each of the moderators

Skydog
03-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Okay.

My dream would be the Cheats win tonight and then we beat them by 30 tomorrow and again in the NCAA tourney. But since you can’t guarantee the latter you must not root for the former.

subzero02
03-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Above the image of Zion with the "he's baaaaack..." caption was an advertisement for the PG 3 shoe. I wonder what he'll be wearing tonight.

jipops
03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
I’m hoping we don’t need to play him too much, hopefully 20 minutes or less. He’s not going to be back in game shape and it’s not realistic for us to see the full Zion this week.

The more realistic goal is to have the full Zion back next week.

JetpackJesus
03-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Above the image of Zion with the "he's baaaaack..." caption was an advertisement for the PG 3 shoe. I wonder what he'll be wearing tonight.

Duke Basketball Twitter (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1106224993866825737) account posted a picture of Zion lacing up some Kyries this morning. I have no idea if that's what he'll be wearing come game time. Could be a clue, though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1oZw_sWkAE9juD.jpg:small

devildeac
03-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Duke Basketball Twitter (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1106224993866825737) account posted a picture of Zion lacing up some Kyries this morning. I have no idea if that's what he'll be wearing come game time. Could be a clue, though.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1oZw_sWkAE9juD.jpg:small

No brace either (:D). Obviously, he could wear one during the game, but...

JetpackJesus
03-14-2019, 08:46 PM

Twitter coming through again:

Stephen Wiseman @stevewisemanNC 9m (https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/1106353246690570240)
Zion Williamson going through pre-game stretching in hallway outside Duke locker room with rest of team (UNC and Louisville still playing on court). He is in uniform and wearing no brace on his right knee. Sporting Kyrie 4s for you sneakerheads.

moonpie23
03-14-2019, 08:54 PM

that pic makes him look thinner....

roywhite
03-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Boeing's big jet may be grounded, but Air Zion flies again.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 09:02 PM
Boeing's big jet may be grounded, but Air Zion flies again.

you need a 4 minute delay if taking off behind an air Zion..

JasonEvans
03-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Or buy pies for each of the moderators

http://i.imgur.com/dKBGGHm.gif?1

uh_no
03-14-2019, 09:33 PM
to a certain poster...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh see ya!

BlueDevil16
03-14-2019, 11:43 PM
Said he could have come back a few games ago but Duke wanted to be sure he was 110%

bigperm13
03-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Said he could have come back a few games ago but Duke wanted to be sure he was 110%

Kind of how I felt he was all along. The seeding for the bigger tourney will and is working itself out on the court.

JasonEvans
03-15-2019, 08:07 AM
I want to stress that the mods consider this whole "I'm betting my DBR future on whether Zion returns" to just be good natured kidding and we would have no problem with the "losing" bettor still hanging out around here and posting.

Acymetric
03-15-2019, 08:12 AM
I want to stress that the mods consider this whole "I'm betting my DBR future on whether Zion returns" to just be good natured kidding and we would have no problem with the "losing" bettor still hanging out around here and posting.

I certainly wouldn't want to force a fellow fan out, but I think maybe El Diablo had it right in the vigil thread...

Let’s all give a warm welcome to the newest board member, bluegrassdevil2.

Subtle, yet appropriate, and will bring a smile to many posters' faces whenever they see it.

bigperm13
03-15-2019, 09:41 AM
I’m hoping we don’t need to play him too much, hopefully 20 minutes or less. He’s not going to be back in game shape and it’s not realistic for us to see the full Zion this week.

The more realistic goal is to have the full Zion back next week.

Good call.

BLPOG
03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
I certainly wouldn't want to force a fellow fan out, but I think maybe El Diablo had it right in the vigil thread...

Let’s all give a warm welcome to the newest board member, bluegrassdevil2.

Subtle, yet appropriate, and will bring a smile to many posters' faces whenever they see it.

Well, we already have:

Bluegrass_1
Bluegrassdevil
Bluegrassdevil1

Now I don't want to make any assumptions, but I think it's possible that our friend has a tendency to lose passwords every now and again.

mattman91
03-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Well, we already have:

Bluegrass_1
Bluegrassdevil
Bluegrassdevil1

Now I don't want to make any assumptions, but I think it's possible that our friend has a tendency to lose passwords every now and again.

up next:

notbluegrassdevil

yancem
03-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Just randomly came across this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Z-UexN24c. I really think that Grandmama is the best comparison for Zion. They look so similar in this video. The scary thing is that Zion is even bigger, stronger and more athletic!!!! As for LJ, it's a shame that he got injured so early in his career. He was so much fun to watch in Charlotte but never returned to form after he got to the Knicks.

Tripping William
03-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Just randomly came across this on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Z-UexN24c. I really think that Grandmama is the best comparison for Zion. They look so similar in this video. The scary thing is that Zion is even bigger, stronger and more athletic!!!! As for LJ, it's a shame that he got injured so early in his career. He was so much fun to watch in Charlotte but never returned to form after he got to the Knicks.

But -- as I mentioned in the Cuse thread -- with Vince Carter's ups (if not his shooting ability).