PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Cuse (Thu 3/14, 9:30 pm ET, ESPN/Raycom) Pre- and In-Game Thread

-jk
03-14-2019, 07:32 AM
Post your thoughts here!

From awhom111:

Here are the TV stations carrying the Raycom feed of the game:
http://theacc.com/sports/2019/2/20/MBB_ACCT-3-14-2019-QF4.aspx

The Raycom feed can be seen for free on this link with no geographical restrictions:
http://www.theacc.com/watch/?id=161574

Let's Go Duke! 9F

-jk

UrinalCake
03-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Can’t wait to see Zion back on the floor. We’ll still need to hit our threes and stay disciplined on offense, the zone can be frustrating. Kind of wild that in three matchups with Syracuse we won’t have faced them with our full roster once. Also, playing the last game of the day can be tough on the players mentally, but K will have them prepared.

Spanarkel
03-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Please, please someone state with near certainty that the chance of Buddy Boeheim going Bootsy Thornton on us is, if not zero, infinitesimally small.

As Syracuse's NET ranking is 44 and it's almost certainly an at-large selection, the estimable ACC officiating crew will hopefully not be bending over backwards to favor the Orange.

House G
03-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Do we know if Battle is out?

Spanarkel
03-14-2019, 08:27 AM
Do we know if Battle is out?

This is the "best" information I could find on Battle's status.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2019/03/jim-boeheim-on-whether-tyus-battle-can-play-against-duke-hes-probably-2-or-3-days-away.html

DavidBenAkiva
03-14-2019, 09:09 AM
In place of Tyus Battle, Buddy Boeheim started, played 36 minutes, and scored 20 points in the win over Pitt.

Syracuse plays a short rotation, so I expect to see the same basic lineup with Boeheim in for Battle. Frank Howard and Boeheim will be the starting backcourt with Elijah Hughes, Oshae Brissett, and Pascal Chukwu across the frontline. Marek Dolezaj will be the 6th man, subbing in for either Chukwu, Brissett, or Hughes. Freshman guard Jalen Carey, a borderline Top 50 recruit in the Class of 2018, will get a few spot minutes.

Duke defeated Syracuse on a very emotional night about 3 weeks ago. Zion wasn't available and Jim Boeheim had just been involved in a fatal car crash the night after Syracuse defeated Louisville. Sans Battle, with Zion, this should be a big advantage for Duke. But the ACC Tournament is a wildcard. And Syracuse is never an easy matchup, especially for this Duke team. There are a lot of variables to consider in this one. I do hope that the team comes to the stadium focused and ready to play.

Troublemaker
03-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Can’t wait to see Zion back on the floor. We’ll still need to hit our threes and stay disciplined on offense, the zone can be frustrating. Kind of wild that in three matchups with Syracuse we won’t have faced them with our full roster once. Also, playing the last game of the day can be tough on the players mentally, but K will have them prepared.

This is one game where I don't think we'll need to hit our 3s, just avoid something ridiculously awful like going 2-28 from out there.

What Duke "needs" to do is dominate Syracuse with our defense. Force turnovers and get easy baskets that way. I don't think it'll be surprising if, in Zion's first game back, things aren't clicking all that well with our halfcourt offense. Also, Boeheim is capable of morphing his zone* to pack it in at a comical level, which will force Zion to pass out. If our outside shot doesn't fall, it'll be ugly at times for sure, but we'll be okay as long as the defense is taking care of business on the other end and Duke gets our fair share of o-boards against the zone.

* Typically Cuse extends the zone and defends 3-pointers very well. Think about how Duke last season defended the 3 so much better when Coach K went to Boeheim's zone.

AGDukesky
03-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Boeheim is no replacement for Battle. Against a healthy Duke team, Syracuse would be lucky to score 50 without Battle. Not sure if tonight’s team qualifies as “healthy”, but with Zion giving 80% we should win pretty easily assuming no Battle...

BullBlue
03-14-2019, 10:15 AM
This is one game where I don't think we'll need to hit our 3s, just avoid something ridiculously awful like going 2-28 from out there.

What Duke "needs" to do is dominate Syracuse with our defense. Force turnovers and get easy baskets that way. I don't think it'll be surprising if, in Zion's first game back, things aren't clicking all that well with our halfcourt offense. Also, Boeheim is capable of morphing his zone* to pack it in at a comical level, which will force Zion to pass out. If our outside shot doesn't fall, it'll be ugly at times for sure, but we'll be okay as long as the defense is taking care of business on the other end and Duke gets our fair share of o-boards against the zone.

* Typically Cuse extends the zone and defends 3-pointers very well. Think about how Duke last season defended the 3 so much better when Coach K went to Boeheim's zone.

Like we started the game in Cameron - Duke was absolutely dominating Syracuse until Tre banged his shoulder. I would love to see that level of defense in this game.

GoDuke2015
03-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Like we started the game in Cameron - Duke was absolutely dominating Syracuse until Tre banged his shoulder. I would love to see that level of defense in this game.

Anything official on Zion's status and availability for tonight vs. Cuse?

GoDuke!

CDu
03-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Basically, how stressful this game will be will depend on two players: Zion and Battle. It sounds like Zion will play, which is good. It would be nice if Battle does not. Even if he does, we'll have the edge. But that edge increases a lot if Battle can't go.

The Orange play a very slow tempo (#267 nationally in pace). Defensively, there are really only two things that they don't do at an elite level (rebound and foul). They force a lot of turnovers, block a lot of shots, and force a lot of difficult/contested shots. Teams shoot poorly from 3 and poorly from 2. They are simply a terrific defensive team.

Offensively, they are kind of the inverse: the only things they do well is draw fouls. They are an especially poor 3pt shooting team, although not quite as bad at it as we are. They have real struggles handling the ball, as they don't have a true PG and only a few guys capable off the dribble. When they play well, it's a pretty ugly game. But there are a wide range of outcomes possible for them, as evidenced by getting blown out by Ga Tech and FSU at home and @State but then blowing out Louisville.

Centers: Paschal Chukwu (7'2", 228lb fifth-year senior) is the team's first option at center. Chukwu is a strong offensive rebounder and shotblocker as you might expect from his size. He's a decent defensive rebounder as well, and even picks up some steals. He's fairly raw offensively, though he isn't awful from the line. He draws a lot of fouls around the rim, primarily off of lobs and offensive rebounds. He's definitely a secondary offensive player, not unlike Christ Koumadje from FSU. But like Koumadje, if you lose track of him, he will dunk on you. Also like Koumadje, Chukwu is pretty foul prone, averaging 3.1 fouls per 18 mpg. Behind Chukwu is Bourama Sidibe (6'10", 205lb sophomore). Sidibe is basically a lesser version of Chukwu across the board. As noted, the team has started the last 3 games going small. This is perhaps in part because their two bigs average over 5 fouls in just under 30 mpg combined. But the duo does provide ~ rebounds and ~2 blocks in that time, which is pretty impressive given the pace Syracuse plays.

Forwards: The forwards and wings have almost always been a strength of Syracuse teams. This is no exception. Oshae Brissett (6'8", 210lb sophomore from Canada) is the headliner. Brissett is a very strong rebounder but a streaky offensive player. He is capable of having a big night, but also capable of a real stinker. So far this season, it has been more of the latter than the former as he's shot poorly from both 3pt range and 2pt range. Still, given Syracuse's limitations offensively as a team, he'll get plenty of looks. Terrific athlete and certainly not lacking for confidence. Though if Williamson plays, we'll have the athletes to hopefully control him. Alongside Brissett as a co-headliner is (and sometimes a starter in a 3-forward lineup) is Elijah Hughes (6'6", 215lb junior transfer from ECU). Hughes has really stepped up in his first season playing with the Orange. He's a much-improved outside shooter and a terrific athlete. He's a capable 3pt shooter, but like everyone for Syracuse is inconsistent. He's a former football player, so he's extremely strong to go along with good quickness and hops. The third man in the forward rotation (and recently reinserted into the starting lineup) Marek Dolezaj (6'10", 180lb sophomore from Slovakia). Dolezaj is still a work in progress, but provides great length for them along the baseline. He's super skinny, and isn't a great rebounder or shotblocker. But he does get a fair amount of steals, and has pretty good shooting range. He's mostly a catch-and-shoot guy or a punish the closeout guy at this stage.

Wings: Tyus Battle (6'6", 205lb junior) is the team's biggest star. If he is indeed out for tonight's game, that will be a huge loss for them. He's a super athlete with pretty good ballhandling skills and is not at all shy about taking the big shots. Battle has gotten a bit more efficient even as his 3pt shooting has continued to regress. He's learned to take it to the basket more and settle for 3s less often. That said, despite being a low-percentage shooter, he is a bit like RJ Barrett in that he can get hot and explode for big games from 3. He's the most dangerous player on the Orange, and will likely be playing in the NBA next year. He's also the only guy who can get offense out of nothing, which against a good defense like Duke is really important. Next is Buddy Boeheim (6'5", 190lb freshman). Boeheim is a decent outside shooter if left open. But he mainly plays a a depth fill-in for the Orange and really isn't ready to compete with the overall speed and physicality at the ACC level. And yes, he's the coach's son. Last in the rotation is Jalen Carey (6'3", 170lb freshman) is a backup combo guard for the Orange. He's an upper-tier recruit with terrific ballhandling skills and athleticism, but a very poor jumpshot. Carey can get to the rim and finish there though, but he's a liability from 3. Carey will share ballhandling duties with Battle when the Orange's PG is off the floor. Carey was a main rotation player earlier in the season, but has fallen out of favor as the season has gone on with multiple DNPs since the calendar turned.

Guards: Frank Howard (6'5", 205lb senior) is the PG. Howard is a big strong kid and a decent passer at PG. But he's always struggled to shoot well consistently. He'll have a monster shooting game and then go ice cold. Last year he took a ton of shots mainly because the team couldn't shoot, and averaged over 14ppg as a result. He is shooting just 33% (career 32%) from 3 and taking most of his shots from deep as well. As you might expect from his shooting profile, he also doesn't draw fouls, as in the halfcourt he mainly defers to Battle and Brissett. His most value is on the defensive end, where his length can be a challenge.

Basically, aside from Carey, everyone on the Orange is 6'5" or taller and with long arms. It's a team ideally suited to play zone, and they play it well. I hope Williamson is able to play to show off his ability to catch at the FT line and attack quickly from there. It will likely give Syracuse some fits. Barrett is effective in that role too. It is likely going to be a frustrating game offensively in the half court. The plus side is that hopefully it will be a frustrating game for them offensively as well, and we can emerge with a victory.

I'd also like to see us force Syracuse into turnovers. Jones was a menace in the limited time that he played the first time around, and Syracuse is ripe for turnovers to be forced. Any easy-bucket chances we can get will be a plus.

DukeDevilDeb
03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
This is the "best" information I could find on Battle's status.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2019/03/jim-boeheim-on-whether-tyus-battle-can-play-against-duke-hes-probably-2-or-3-days-away.html

The more important question is Do we know Zion is in? For sure?

wgl1228
03-14-2019, 10:40 AM
As of an hour ago, Adam Zagoria via Twitter reporting Battle will not play but will be ready for NCAA Tournament.

CDu
03-14-2019, 10:42 AM
The more important question is Do we know Zion is in? For sure?

Everything seems to suggest he's playing tonight. Nothing is definitive though.

CDu
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
As of an hour ago, Adam Zagoria via Twitter reporting Battle will not play but will be ready for NCAA Tournament.

That would be a huge blow to their chances. He's really the only guy for the Orange who can create his own shot.

TJ99
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Anything official on Zion's status and availability for tonight vs. Cuse?

GoDuke!

The Duke Basketball account posted a pic in their instagram stories last night with a Zion gif in it above the ACC Tournament logo, I know they did something similar when Tre came back, so I would hope this is a good sign he plays tonight.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 10:44 AM
That would be a huge blow to their chances. He's really the only guy for the Orange who can create his own shot.

Let's hope Duke doesn't underestimate Cuse then. And let's hope this means Zion only has to play 20-25 minutes.

Kedsy
03-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Also, Boeheim is capable of morphing his zone* to pack it in at a comical level, which will force Zion to pass out.

I sure hope Zion doesn't pass out. Seeing him unconscious on the floor would raise our vigil thread to a whole new level.

MChambers
03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
I sure hope Zion doesn't pass out. Seeing him unconscious on the floor would raise our vigil thread to a whole new level.

If he goes 15 for 15, the announcers will declare him unconscious.

J4Kop99
03-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Zion is back. Confirmed on Duke social media. Can't link to it right now.

Let the games begin!

NSDukeFan
03-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Also, Boeheim is capable of morphing his zone* to pack it in at a comical level, which will force Zion to pass out.

I wonder what Boeheim would morph the zone into to make Zion pass out?

Kedsy
03-14-2019, 11:39 AM
I wonder what Boeheim would morph the zone into to make Zion pass out?

Presumably some variation of Kryptonite.

Indoor66
03-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Presumably some variation of Kryptonite.

That would be Zionite.

bigperm13
03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Zion in. Battle out. Prediction: Marek Dolejaz does not attempt to take a charge on Zion again.

DavidBenAkiva
03-14-2019, 12:44 PM
What do we think the starting lineup will be? My guess is

Tre
AOC
R.J.
Cam
Zion

AOC has averaged 18 points against Syracuse this year and is a nice option to keep the zone a little more spaced out than it otherwise might be. R.J. will be the guy at the top of the post and looking to drive, dump off, or turn and shoot. Zion along the backline, looking to dunk from the baseline off an alley-oop. Javin, Jack, and JGold off the bench, maybe a few minutes for Joey Baker if there is foul trouble or Duke builds a big lead.

One of the biggest things I'll be looking for is the defense. With Battle out and Zion back, will Duke be able to force turnovers and turn this into an up-and-down game?

TruBlu
03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Will Zion start or come off the bench? I’m guessing he comes in at an early dead ball situation, probably before the first timeout.

MChambers
03-14-2019, 01:01 PM
What do we think the starting lineup will be? My guess is

Tre
AOC
R.J.
Cam
Zion

AOC has averaged 18 points against Syracuse this year and is a nice option to keep the zone a little more spaced out than it otherwise might be. R.J. will be the guy at the top of the post and looking to drive, dump off, or turn and shoot. Zion along the backline, looking to dunk from the baseline off an alley-oop. Javin, Jack, and JGold off the bench, maybe a few minutes for Joey Baker if there is foul trouble or Duke builds a big lead.

One of the biggest things I'll be looking for is the defense. With Battle out and Zion back, will Duke be able to force turnovers and turn this into an up-and-down game?

Javin starts, with AOC and Jack the first subs.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Will Zion start or come off the bench? I’m guessing he comes in at an early dead ball situation, probably before the first timeout.

Nah, if he's playing he's starting (that doesn't mean he'll play his typical minutes, necessarily).

budwom
03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Zion in. Battle out. Prediction: Marek Dolejaz does not attempt to take a charge on Zion again.

as of a few minutes ago, there wasn't any confirmation from Syracuse that Battle is out...maybe Zags knows something others don't know, maybe not.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 01:37 PM
as of a few minutes ago, there wasn't any confirmation from Syracuse that Battle is out...maybe Zags knows something others don't know, maybe not.

I mean, he isn't officially ruled out but the word was 2-3 days away as of yesterday afternoon so it would certainly be a surprise.

bigperm13
03-14-2019, 01:41 PM

I'm riding with Zags on this one. I also stand by my prediction. Could be wrong twice - yay! Maybe Battle will have a miracle lunch that turns him into Popeye after eating spinach.

mattman91
03-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Battle officially ruled out.

budwom
03-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Battle officially ruled out.

I'll take it. Hopefully he recovers nicely and we get a win.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-14-2019, 05:09 PM
From Bleacher Report:
“For the people that think I should just stop playing in college...thanks, but no thanks.”
My KING

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2019, 05:35 PM

I do love his team-first mentality. He exchanges his life for a turnover. That's commitment.

tteettimes
03-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Cuse will have a large “rooting” crowd tonight typical last game crowd following cheats game 😈😈

AGDukesky
03-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Cuse will have a large “rooting” crowd tonight typical last game crowd following cheats game 😈😈

Unless UNC loses, although I agree Syracuse will have extra support

W&LHoo
03-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Y'all won't have much trouble with a Battle-less Cuse team. I am similarly unconcerned about our matchup with VT, though rivalry games can always be weird.

Looking forward to a rematch with a full (or nearly full) strength Duke squad in the finals - Carolina will give you a test, but they can't contain Zion.

CDu
03-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Y'all won't have much trouble with a Battle-less Cuse team. I am similarly unconcerned about our matchup with VT, though rivalry games can always be weird.

Looking forward to a rematch with a full (or nearly full) strength Duke squad in the finals - Carolina will give you a test, but they can't contain Zion.

Well, we will definitely not be at, or even close to, full strength this weekend. Bolden isn’t a major scoring threat, but it would be sort of like you guys playing without Diakite or Salt. He is important, even though he is a role player.

-jk
03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

tbyers11
03-14-2019, 08:05 PM

You definitely shouldn't be concerned about the matchup with VT since UVA plays FSU tomorrow.

W&LHoo
03-14-2019, 08:20 PM
You definitely shouldn't be concerned about the matchup with VT since UVA plays FSU tomorrow.

Yeah - not sure how that mental misfire happened.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 08:57 PM
checking in from 9000ft in winter Park. let's go Duke!!!!

jipops
03-14-2019, 09:15 PM
It helps Duke that Battle is out. Still, I expect an ugly but tight game throughout. It’s going to take Zion a couple games to get back in the flow. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to drop this one. The cheats are the best team in the conference right now, hands down. We’re not going to be at all up to their level this week.

22JumpShots
03-14-2019, 09:17 PM
The cheats are the best team in the conference right now, hands down. We’re not going to be at all up to their level this week.

A funny joke and a reverse-jinx all in one? Classic!! :rolleyes:

Edit - TBH though I would think UVA better than cheats. Then again we bested UVA twice. ...so hard to say. Tonight should give us some answers to where we stand as far as "our level"! LGD and GTHC

left_hook_lacey
03-14-2019, 09:23 PM
Not digging the family on the jerseys. Why not "brotherhood"? That's our thing. Family seems like we're copying Carolina.

Pghdukie
03-14-2019, 09:23 PM
We win big - unless TV Teddy is on duty !

jipops
03-14-2019, 09:24 PM
Really would like to see Cam hitting shots over that zone tonight. Would be huge to get him going.

left_hook_lacey
03-14-2019, 09:24 PM
We win big - unless TV Teddy is on duty !

Tv teddy was in proper acc tournament form in the earlier game. Made a ton of bone head look at me calls both ways. I hope it's a different crew for us.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 09:35 PM
I’d say Zion is a full go

TruBlu
03-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Jack is sporting a black eye. Must have fouled a heel’s elbow with his face.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Ya think?

jipops
03-14-2019, 09:41 PM

He looked rather winded before going out.

BigZ
03-14-2019, 09:42 PM

Yeah that’s expected and no big deal.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 09:50 PM
11 points. 8 minutes. It’s safe to say this is a different team with Zion.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 09:50 PM
He can apparently still jump, though.

sweetchiba51
03-14-2019, 09:51 PM
This is a completely different team with Zion on the floor.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2019, 09:51 PM

5-5 11 points. Winded up!

Bigwayne17
03-14-2019, 09:54 PM
He is an animal!

InSpades
03-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Good god... I think it's safe to say he's 100%.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 10:02 PM
Hard to believe one guy could make this much difference. But he does it all: scoring, rebounding, stealing, blocking.

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:02 PM
This is a completely different team with Zion on the floor.

Well the defense has been terrific. And he is an extraordinary offensive weapon. But this team still only has 2, maybe 3 weapons on offense. Nobody else is producing at all. I really wish we could see another perimeter guy produce something.

follyblue
03-14-2019, 10:03 PM
It’s Zion’s world. We are just living in it.

fuse
03-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Halfway through the first half and Zion has already given way more than anyone reasonable could have expected for the game.

Wow. Simply on another plane athletically.

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Well the defense has been terrific. And he is an extraordinary offensive weapon. But this team still only has 2, maybe 3 weapons on offense. Nobody else is producing at all. I really wish we could see another perimeter guy produce something.

AOC. Yes!

rsvman
03-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Hughes trying to reinjure Zion....

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-14-2019, 10:07 PM
Not digging the family on the jerseys. Why not "brotherhood"? That's our thing. Family seems like we're copying Carolina.

Same thing is showing up in other games in other conferences. Shoe and uniform company theme this year :rolleyes:

WakeDevil
03-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Is Reddish trying to set the record for running over defenders on drives to the basket?

uh_no
03-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Same thing is showing up in other games in other conferences. Shoe and uniform company theme this year :rolleyes:

yeah. Nike says so. it's dumb.

InSpades
03-14-2019, 10:13 PM
The defense is great! The offense is... well... Zion is great there too.

To anyone who said Zion wouldn't have made a difference in the UNC games... we will all kindly forget you ever said that if you promise to never repeat anything like that ever again.

DUKIE V(A)
03-14-2019, 10:14 PM
This Duke team is all about defense and transition basketball. RJ and Zion are two of the best finishers in college hoops in a long time.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 10:15 PM
To be fair, though, UNC is a lot better team than Syracuse without Tyus Battle.

duketaylor
Zion on path for trip-doub!!

DukeDevil
Frank Howard intentionally tripped Zion. Syracuse being thuggish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/b195d0/syracuse_player_tries_to_trip_zion_williamson/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

subzero02
03-14-2019, 10:18 PM
Jack should have taken that open 3... I agree that Zion was intentionally hip checked and could have been undercut. He landed on his right leg at a somewhat odd angle but there were no issues.

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:19 PM
Never ever pass to Javin in the paint. Just don’t do it. He’s a put back guy on offense.

Dukehk
Really annoyed by the supporting cast not named RJ.

Its time to step it up. Instead they are doing the exact opposite.

Come on guys! We know you have it in you.

sweetchiba51
Zion is the only player we have that can score.

InSpades
03-14-2019, 10:21 PM

RJ is the leading scorer in the ACC.

duketaylor
Too many turnovers and some sloppy play despite Zion!!

sweetchiba51
RJ is the leading scorer in the ACC.

This game.

rsvman

Um...... RJ, anybody? Highest scorer in the conference? Ringing any bells?

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:22 PM
The offense overall is just dreadful. Been that way since the last UVA game. I know the ppp has been good, but getting all the scoring from 2 guys is not sustainable.

rsvman
03-14-2019, 10:22 PM
The last few minutes were bad. They starting shooting lights out from three.

sweetchiba51
03-14-2019, 10:23 PM
I meant this game fellas. Relax.

gocanes0506
Wow how bad would this game be without Zion? Dudes cant hit the broad side of a barn. Crap ton of turnovers too.

Dub

Soooo you’ve never heard of RJ Barrett, the ACCs leading scorer. Have a good night sir. It’s clearly your bedtime.

uh_no
35 possessions. fantastic defense. crap offense.

wavedukefan70s
Did you guys just check what Howard did ?

rsvman
Jack is in his own head again.

InSpades
03-14-2019, 10:24 PM
This game.

He's on pace to get 18 on 12 shots.

ncexnyc
How are we not up by at least 20 points at the half? Can anybody not named Zion score the basketball?

Can we please get more AOC and less Jack "Pass up the open 3" White.

dukelion
The offense overall is just dreadful. Been that way since the last UVA game.

Yup....still hate that Tre and Jack can't score....gonna be our downfall if it persists.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 10:25 PM
How are we not up by at least 20 points at the half? Can anybody not named Zion score the basketball?

AOC hit a three but was questionable the rest of the time.

Dukehk
03-14-2019, 10:26 PM
We all believe in Jack. But he has to show confidence in his own abilities. Its the biggest mental meltdown I've seen in a while.

Can some of the other guys like Cam and Tre please step up! We need them at their best. Not combining for 0 points in a half!

Zion really does mask alot of our deficiencies.

arnie
03-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Zion has been amazing and we should win this game by 10+. But, Reddish and Jones have to contribute offensively if we’re gonna be a great team. Feel they’re just watching.

Dub
03-14-2019, 10:27 PM
But back to the game, Tre is going to have to channel his inner Tyus for us to get to the promised land. At this point, teams don’t even care if he shoots. He has to hit a couple of those open 3s to open up the floor.

We should also run some plays to get Cam into a flow. With the two alphas back, he just seems to be floating around. I think we’ll win comfortably but players not named Zion and Rowan, need to contribute offensively. Let’s go Duke!

subzero02

I am sure coach K is letting him hear all about that decision in the locker room... his teammates should too. There's no room for self doubt in March...

sweetchiba51
Soooo you’ve never heard of RJ Barrett, the ACCs leading scorer. Have a good night sir. It’s clearly your bedtime.

Wow. This forum has become a bunch of whiney cry babies. I meant THIS game. I mention that Zion is the only player that can score tonight and get blasted!

BigZ
Tre is nowhere near ready for the NBA. Duvall struggled shooting but he at least was a threat

devildeac
35 possessions. fantastic defense. crap offense.

Great D until the last 4ish minutes. Up 17, now up 6 and 'Cuse is red-orange hot at 5/9 3s and we're 3/12.

bigperm13
Grayson Allen was just suspended for what Frank Howard did. Unacceptable. They probably won't even address it since it wasn't a Duke player.

nmduke2001
03-14-2019, 10:28 PM
If this was Grayson it would be front page espn already.
https://twitter.com/megcee_/status/1106373614620688386?s=21

Good thing he didn’t hurt Zion.

jv001
03-14-2019, 10:28 PM

And Javin catch a pass. He's being wasted on the low post. Playing pretty good defense but not so good on offense and that's where we're hurting outside of Z & RJ. Well Alex did hit a 3 from the corner. Our turnovers, Z's missed FTs and Cam once again not so good on offense. Too many turnovers. Need to come out strong for the 2nd half. GoDuke!

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Zion has been amazing and we should win this game by 10+. But, Reddish and Jones have to contribute offensively if we’re gonna be a great team. Feel they’re just watching.

No, they are definitely asserting. Tre just doesn’t have the ability to shoot and Cam is terrible on the drive. They are just limited.

dairedevil
03-14-2019, 10:30 PM
My
choir has been practicing this anthem, and I just can’t get the first line out of my head.

Come fathers and mothers,
Come sisters and brothers,
Come join us in singing the praises of Zion
The praises of Zion!

Zion’s walls by Aaron Copeland

If we just get some offense from others and better offensive rebounding..

Phoenix22
03-14-2019, 10:32 PM
We could really use Bolden in this game.

John Wick:
People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer, but yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

Wildling
Tre is giving this team nothing on offense. SU isn't even looking at him when he's got the ball in his hands because they know he can't score. He's got to start scoring and opening up the lanes for the other guys. Drive and kick. Drive and hit a floater. My god, do something. Just stop forcing the ball in the middle of the zone and start looking to score. I can't believe I'm saying this a this time of year.

heyman25
Duke is now in post season. Unbelieveable this team can not play with the urgency needed. Zion is amazing. They had a week to prepare and the results are not good. Don't understand why we can't get a better performance from everyone not named Zion.

dukelifer
03-14-2019, 10:33 PM
No, they are definitely asserting. Tre just doesn’t have the ability to shoot and Cam is terrible on the drive. They are just limited.

So inconsistent. A starting pt guard cannot have 0 points and 2 assists at the half. That is not good enough.

TruBlu
03-14-2019, 10:34 PM
Zion: 9 - 9
Rest of the team: 4 - 18

Skydog
03-14-2019, 10:35 PM
This ^ . Jones is trying to help offensively but he’s just not a good shooter. I actually don’t want to see him shooting more. I want to see him penetrate a little and then pass. Even his jab steps to the middle help open things up. To much stand still passing.

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:37 PM
For most of the season we’ve been a second half team. Let’s see if there is anyone else on this team thar can produce.

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:40 PM
Really like how the ball is moving the last couple possessions.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Welp. Not too much positive in the 2nd half so far.

BigZ
03-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Tre is good in transition but horrible in half court offense

heyman25
03-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Hope we survive a mediocre Syracuse team. Reddish and Jones are truly not playing smart.

Acymetric
03-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Frank Howard intentionally tripped Zion. Syracuse being thuggish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/b195d0/syracuse_player_tries_to_trip_zion_williamson/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I'm sure ESPN will conduct a massive inqiusition, demanding that he retire from the game and possibly face legal consequences.

Or it will be entirely ignored.

scottdude8
Remember that it’s ALWAYS hard playing Syracuse. For all the Bilas hate on the board he did do a great job explaining that. Their defense makes everything more awkward and less fluid on offense. I don’t think there’s any need to overreact (yet) to our relative offensive struggles in the second half, as a lot can be chalked up to Syracuse being Syracuse.

arnie
A player throws his leg out against RJ and ACC ref calls a charge. Bet RJ can’t wait to play in a real league.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Just don’t want it

jipops
03-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Like I said before, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if we lost tonight. Otherwise we would get destroyed tomorrow.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 10:51 PM
Like I said before, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if we lost tonight. Otherwise we would get destroyed tomorrow.

No number 1 if we lose tonight

rsvman
03-14-2019, 10:52 PM
Howard is Bootsie-ing us

ChrisP
03-14-2019, 10:55 PM
We had control of this game in the 1st half and we took our foot of the gas. Ugh :(

ChrisP
03-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Another head scratcher of a game by Cam. I sure would think twice if I were an NBA GM after seeing this inconsistency from Reddish

Bluedog
03-14-2019, 10:59 PM

I disagree. I think it would be very bad if we lose tonight. Hurts the confidence going forward tremendously. I want to win baby! Just need to not be as sloppy with the ball and play some D.

DUKIECB
03-14-2019, 10:59 PM
There's no other way to say this, after our good start we have played terrible basketball. Need to turn it around and put the foot back on the gas.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Another head scratcher of a game by Cam. I sure would think twice if I were an NBA GM after seeing this inconsistency from Reddish

he's what....19?

potential is everything.

AGDukesky

Just so I’m clear, the team that beat Duke without Zion at home by 9 just five days ago is now magically so much better than Duke with Zion that it will be a blowout? Wow that Roy Williams must be a magician...

jipops
Remember that it’s ALWAYS hard playing Syracuse. For all the Bilas hate on the board he did do a great job explaining that. Their defense makes everything more awkward and less fluid on offense. I don’t think there’s any need to overreact (yet) to our relative offensive struggles in the second half, as a lot can be chalked up to Syracuse being Syracuse.

I see your point. But this team has been on a downward spiral. There just aren’t many weapons out there.

jipops
03-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Goldwire! Ok nevermind, everything is all good.

Skydog
03-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Was AOC really that bad? We obv need outside shooting. Rather AOC shoot 3’s than Jones.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 11:03 PM
The combo of Jones and Goldwire may be one of the best defensive backcourts in the country. Goldwire can’t play extended minutes obviously because of his offensive limitations. But he’s showing again he can change the game defensively and is a key cog on this team.

follyblue
03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
When will god strike Jay Bilas down. Asking for a friend.

DUKIECB
03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Was AOC really that bad? We obv need outside shooting. Rather AOC shoot 3’s than Jones.
He can't play defense. Buddy was raining threes on him left and right.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:06 PM

Did you see him in the first half?

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:07 PM
When will god strike Jay Bilas down. Asking for a friend.

Thats why I am watching the Raycom feed. Plus its the last time they are doing the ACC tournament so, nostalgia too.

rsvman
Coach K is apparently OK with only two players who can score.
Going with Goldwire, Jones, and DeLaurier on the court at the same time for an extended period.
Interesting.

BlueandWhite
I disagree. I think it would be very bad if we lose tonight. Hurts the confidence going forward tremendously. I want to win baby! Just need to not be as sloppy with the ball and play some D.

Thank you - I agree 100%!!

Great, scrappy play by Goldwire!! Time to play more D like the 1st half and work harder to get the ball in Zion’s hands!!

And I agree with the poster who said that Syracuse’s D throws things off for our offense....it does. And Tre is just having a terrible game.

jipops
03-14-2019, 11:09 PM
I think the turnovers have everything to do with having a lineup that has been in a constant flux since January. It is taking its toll.

DUKIECB
03-14-2019, 11:09 PM
Coach K is apparently OK with only two players who can score.
Going with Goldwire, Jones, and DeLaurier on the court at the same time for an extended period.
Interesting.

Who would you put in? Reddish 4 fouls, Bolden hurt, White cold, AOC can't play defense.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-14-2019, 11:10 PM
Who would you put in? Reddish 4 fouls, Bolden hurt, White cold, AOC can't play defense.

Has White taken a shot tonight? I don’t think he has

DUKIECB
03-14-2019, 11:10 PM

Missed one three attempt.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Foul the other team out!! Not sure if it will be Duke or Cuse that will accomplish it first. Both teams are working towards it.

rsvman
It looks like Goldwire has been given one assignment. Keep Buddy from making any threes.
Working so far.

If Zion can start making free throws, we should be in good shape.

TruBlu
Grayson Allen was just suspended for what Frank Howard did. Unacceptable. They probably won't even address it since it wasn't a Duke player.

Is Syracuse wins this game, there’s no doubt that Howard will be suspended for one game ... against unc.

ChicagoCrazy84
I want to like Tre Jones because he does some things really well, but sheesh he is maddening sometimes.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Took one and then passed up a wide open chance that led to a turnover.

uh_no
03-14-2019, 11:12 PM

jeez.... the one thing he could have practiced while injured!

why can't he do EVERYTHING

Skydog
03-14-2019, 11:13 PM
He can't play defense. Buddy was raining threes on him left and right.
True but a couple of those were decently contested. I just know playing against a collapsed zone with only 1 outside shooter (RJ) isn’t the answer either. I guess it’s pick your poison.
And we miss Bolden.

DUKIECB
03-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Jones hits a 3! Hallelujah

subzero02
03-14-2019, 11:14 PM

He took a shot to his right eye recently... that's for sure.

Skydog
03-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Good, prove me wrong Jones.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 11:16 PM
It looks like Goldwire has been given one assignment. Keep Buddy from making any threes.
Working so far.

Yup, and he’s doing a great job. You don’t need to score to impact the game. Goldwire is doing that.

InSpades
03-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Tre Jones w/ 2 huge plays in a row... finally makes a 3 and then very smartly draws the 5th foul on Chukwu and drains both.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Jones hits a 3! Hallelujah

Stats do show he hits 25% of them! ;)

BlueandWhite
03-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Good, prove me wrong Jones.

Helps to have Zion there for the put back when Tre misses his next three attempt!

ChicagoCrazy84
03-14-2019, 11:20 PM
Has Cam played at all in the 2nd half?

TruBlu
03-14-2019, 11:21 PM

He had his shiner before the game started.

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:22 PM

Got his 4th and sat a while

rsvman
03-14-2019, 11:23 PM
That was Buddy's first bucket since Goldwire came in. And it was a two.
Starting to think this
Coach K guy might be pretty smart.

Skydog
03-14-2019, 11:24 PM
Looked like nice call by K during play to get Cam an open shot.

Ranidad
Should have posted at halftime... MOTM Zion impact and stat line are unreal

CDu

Yes, he is in now. He sat when he got his fourth foul.

Bluedevil114
He had his shiner before the game started.

He missed his only three point attempt and did not look confident taking the shot. He was short.

ChrisP
03-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Really impressed with (and happy for) Jordan Goldwire tonight. Very nice game thus far!

uh_no
03-14-2019, 11:25 PM

he got a pretty big three...

CDu
03-14-2019, 11:27 PM
I will say Barrett is the weak link on defense. They seem to be finding his man and attacking.

BigZ
03-14-2019, 11:28 PM
What was Laettner in the regional final vs Kentucky?

Skydog
03-14-2019, 11:29 PM
They are talking about 13 for 13 and 17 for 17 - Bill Walton had that perfect playoff game, what was his ? for ?

Tjenkins
03-14-2019, 11:29 PM
10-10

AGDukesky
03-14-2019, 11:30 PM

10-10, 10-10

CDu
03-14-2019, 11:30 PM
They are talking about 13 for 13 and 17 for 17 - Bill Walton had that perfect playoff game, what was his ? for ?

The most ever in NCAA is 15-15 by Cliff Rozier.

jipops
03-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Goldwire’s best game in a Duke uni. Easily.

scottdude8
03-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Say what you want about Cam but he contributes positively on d even when he struggles on offense. That last play was all him.

ChrisP
03-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Zion with the PERFECT home run pass to Goldwire...and Jay Bilas says "he over threw him a little". I've refrained from ragging on Jay but...I'm done. He's a tool!

gocanes0506
03-14-2019, 11:35 PM
Zion with the PERFECT home run pass to Goldwire...and Jay Bilas says "he over threw him a little". I've refrained from ragging on Jay but...I'm done. He's a tool!

Raycom telecast is much better

jipops
03-14-2019, 11:35 PM
After a pretty awful 25 minutes, Tre really put it together.