PDA

View Full Version : Duke basketball history: Steve Vacendak

SupaDave
03-12-2019, 06:16 PM
You guys have got me reminiscing a little bit, so I may do more of these posts. I think we should continue to mix a little of the old with the new.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm basically a Duke kid (I even went to DUCK camp). Growing up Steve Vacendak Jr. was one of my best friends. A literally unbelievable great kid. Unfortunately, he died when we were in college in a motorcycle accident. His fraternity at App State throws a golf tourney every year in his name. His dad has always showed mad love. I didn't realize who his dad was for many years - and once I started doing more Duke basketball research, I was amazed.

Steve Vacendak is basically a Duke legend. Steve was recruited by Vic Bubas to play as a guard for the Duke University men's basketball team. As a guard for the team he led Duke to a 72–14 record and two Final Four appearances during his three-year varsity career. In 1966 he was captain of the basketball team, ACC Player of the Year, and on the All-ACC Tournament team.

Here's a great article from GoDuke - written by our very own Al Featherston....

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205114363

He's a NC Hall of Famer.
https://www.ncshof.org/stevevacendak

And he has stayed true to NC.
https://ncbeautiful.org/executive-director/

fuse
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Do you know if they still do the charity golf tournament?
I can’t find a record for it online.

chrishoke
03-12-2019, 06:43 PM
I attended the 1966 Duke BB banquet after the final four. I still have the program - with Steve Vacendak's autograph. Priceless.

SupaDave
03-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Do you know if they still do the charity golf tournament?
I can’t find a record for it online.

Can't find any recent golf tourney stuff - and it could be still out there.

But his scholarship lives on.

https://geo.appstate.edu/students/scholarships/stephen-vacendak-graduate-fellowship-geography

House G
03-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Nice interview:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MkOCBEvlUEw

wsb3
03-12-2019, 07:23 PM
You guys have got me reminiscing a little bit, so I may do more of these posts. I think we should continue to mix a little of the old with the new.

If you haven't figured it out, I'm basically a Duke kid (I even went to DUCK camp). Growing up Steve Vacendak Jr. was one of my best friends. A literally unbelievable great kid. Unfortunately, he died when we were in college in a motorcycle accident. His fraternity at App State throws a golf tourney every year in his name. His dad has always showed mad love. I didn't realize who his dad was for many years - and once I started doing more Duke basketball research, I was amazed.

Steve Vacendak is basically a Duke legend. Steve was recruited by Vic Bubas to play as a guard for the Duke University men's basketball team. As a guard for the team he led Duke to a 72–14 record and two Final Four appearances during his three-year varsity career. In 1966 he was captain of the basketball team, ACC Player of the Year, and on the All-ACC Tournament team.

Here's a great article from GoDuke - written by our very own Al Featherston...

He's a NC Hall of Famer.

Back to my childhood Duke memories..Thank you..

heyman25
03-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Steve Vacendak far left second row ABA Pittsburgh Pipers championship team
Art Heyman front row next to Connie Hawkins with basketball front row

https://archive.triblive.com/sports/us-world/decades-later-pittsburgh-pipers-finally-got-championship-rings/

devildeac
03-12-2019, 08:06 PM
Was Steve also one of the main reasons (in addition to Bobby Knight) Tom Butters brought K to Duke for an interview and then called him back from RDU after he had sent him away with K thinking that he wasn't getting the job? Al F./OF was a great source of info for this kind of story but I'll make a guess that Jim Sumner will be able to answer this accurately, too.

roywhite
03-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Duke had a strong recruiting pipeline to Pennsylvania in the 1960s. Fred Schmidt, Dennis Ferguson, Jack Marin, Steven Vancendak, Bob Riedy, and Dick DeVenzio came south to play for the Blue Devils. Not to mention Chuck Daly who came to Duke from the Groundhog town of Punxsutawney, was on the staff from 1963 to 1969 and helped recruit the state.

El-Deano also plucked some talent out of the Keystone State around that time -- Steve Previs, Dennis Wuycik, and George Karl come to mind. Western PA in particular was a fertile recruiting area.

Tripping William
03-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Was Steve also one of the main reasons (in addition to Bobby Knight) Tom Butters brought K to Duke for an interview and then called him back from RDU after he had sent him away with K thinking that he wasn't getting the job? Al F./OF was a great source of info for this kind of story but I'll make a guess that Jim Sumner will be able to answer this accurately, too.

This is directionally correct. There’s a post from Jim in a relatively recent thread (last 4-6 months is my guess) that fills in the details.

brevity
03-12-2019, 09:08 PM

This is directionally correct. There’s a post from Jim in a relatively recent thread (last 4-6 months is my guess) that fills in the details.

From the RIP Tom Butters (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37770-RIP-Tom-Butters&p=875391#post875391) thread:

There's an unsung hero in the Butters-hires-Krzyzewski-narrative.

I've been told the story below by all three principals, who are/were in agreement on the fundamentals.

The story involves Butters, Krzyzewski and then assistant AD Steve Vacendak, a former Duke standout.

K has his interview with Butters, with Vacendak sitting in.

K knocks it out of the park. As the interview winds up, he's expecting an offer.

One is not forthcoming.

K leaves, surprised and disappointed. He and Mickey are on the way back to the airport. It looks like Iowa State has its new coach.

Meanwhile, back in the Gothic Wonderland.

Butters tells Vacendak something along the lines of "Steve, I think we've found our man."

Vacendak responds "then why are we letting him get on a plane?"

Butters sends Vacendak to RDU to track down K before they leave. He gets there in time, finds K, K comes back to Duke and the rest is history.

Second nugget re the famous Butters-Bob Knight phone call.

Butters actually called Knight to talk about Bob Weltlich, a former Knight assistant then at Ole Miss. Knight is complimentary regarding Weltlich. But Butters asks Knight if there's someone else out there that Duke should be looking at. That's when Knight tells him about K, who he calls the best young basketball mind in the country.

There's an old saying that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Tom Butters was both.

Final nugget. Butters told me he received death threats when he refused to dismiss K after his 38-47 start. Some pretty prominent Iron Dukes demanded K be let go and Butters responded by extending K's contract.

That extension-IMO-was every bit as meaningful as the initial hiring. Talk about a leap of faith. And talk about a pay-off.

devildeac
03-12-2019, 09:47 PM
From the RIP Tom Butters (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?37770-RIP-Tom-Butters&p=875391#post875391) thread:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

My memory is *pretty* good for stories/events like this but my search function/ability is somewhat limited.

brevity
03-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Olympic Fan once told a version of the K hire that gives Steve Vacendak more credit. From the Feinstein on Bobby Knight (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39815-Feinstein-on-Bobby-Knight&p=967637#post967637) thread:

Knight recommended K to Tom Butters back in the day. For that, I will always be grateful.

Not quite the story.

Butters called Knight and offered him the job -- knowing Knight would refuse. Then he asked for a recommendation.

The guy Knight recommended for us was a stiff named Bob Weltlich, who was at that time the head coach at Ole Miss.

It was only after Steve Vacendak convinced Butters to look at Krzyzewski at Army that Butters called Knight back and asked about the Army coach.

Knight did give K a strong recommendation at that point.

But always remember, it was Steve Vacendak who first put Duke into K. If Knight had his way, we would have been stuck with Weltlich.

grossbus
03-13-2019, 07:39 PM
some goodies for the OP

SupaDave
03-13-2019, 08:26 PM
some goodies for the OP

People are actually sitting down in these pictures. I usually stand up the whole game bc those seats are so small in Cameron.

grossbus
03-13-2019, 08:29 PM
These pictures predate the tradition of standing for the entire game.

We also were not “organized” like today.

Indoor66
03-13-2019, 08:34 PM
There was still a lot of noise.

-jk
03-13-2019, 08:47 PM
People are actually sitting down in these pictures. I usually stand up the whole game bc those seats are so small in Cameron.

Those bleachers were a bit roomier. (And lots of play space under, too. Once upon a time!)

-jk

chrishoke
03-13-2019, 08:51 PM
There was still a lot of noise.

That Michigan game in the picture was one of the loudest ever in Cameron.

jimsumner
03-13-2019, 09:37 PM
The Duke-Pennsylvania connection actually predates Bubas and can be credited to the success Dick Groat had at Duke. After Groat, Gerry Gerard and Harold Bradley were able to get such notables as Bernie Janicki, Ronnie Mayer, Joe Belmont, Paul Schmidt and Doug Kistler from the Keystone State.

The big PA. miss was Len Chappell. He was down to Duke and Wake Forest, as was a PA. guard named Billy Packer.

Packer called Duke to commit. Bradley told Packer the scholarship was down to Packer and another player and Bradley wanted to wait.

Packer was not amused. He hung up on Bradley and accepted the Wake offer. He also convinced Chappell to join him.

Ouch.

In case 6-8, 240-pound Len Chappell is lost to you in the mists of time, he's the last ACC player to average 30 ppg, along with 15 rpg, leading Wake to its only Final Four, in 1962.

Another Vacendak story. Bucky Waters was the assistant charged with recruiting that area. Bubas hadn't seen him but Waters had many times and really wanted him at Duke.

So, Bubas is having a coaches meeting, discussing which of several prospects to pursue. Bubas asks Waters "is Vacendak is a great shooter. "Not really." Is he a great passer? No. Is he a great rebounder? No. And so on.

Finally, an exasperated Bubas wants to know why Duke would waste its time recruiting Vacendak.

"Because, Vic, he's a winner. He'll do anything to win and his teams always win."

Bubas trusted Waters' judgment and I'm glad he did.

grossbus
03-13-2019, 10:47 PM
That Michigan game in the picture was one of the loudest ever in Cameron.

I could not hear myself screaming.

grossbus
03-13-2019, 10:49 PM
"Bubas trusted Waters' judgment and I'm glad he did."

Bubas would sometimes play a 1-3-1 with Dak as the chaser in the back. He was one of the few people I have seen that could make that work.

jimsumner
03-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Duke actually lost that 1964-65 game at home to Cazzie Russell and Michigan. But they made a spirited comeback late and Bubas always said that was the loudest he ever heard the (then) Duke Indoor Stadium. He compared the noise to standing under a 747 at takeoff.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Duke actually lost that 1964-65 game at home to Cazzie Russell and Michigan. But they made a spirited comeback late and Bubas always said that was the loudest he ever heard the (then) Duke Indoor Stadium. He compared the noise to standing under a 747 at takeoff.

It was quite a game! I was seated in the front row under one of the baskets... players throwing the ball inbounds were close enough to touch. One of the most exciting games I’ve seen in person.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Those bleachers were a bit roomier. (And lots of play space under, too. Once upon a time!)

-jk
The bleachers, until the late 70’s when they were replaced, had more vertical leg room so they were almost comfortable to sit in. When replaced, the 12” vertical was suddenly 5 or 6” and sitting was almost impossible. I guess they squeezed another row in. LGD GTHc!

-jk
03-14-2019, 07:34 AM
The bleachers, until the late 70’s when they were replaced, had more vertical leg room so they were almost comfortable to sit in. When replaced, the 12” vertical was suddenly 5 or 6” and sitting was almost impossible. I guess they squeezed another row in. LGD GTHc!

The back row was a lot higher, too; when the students stood, the first couple rows upstairs couldn't see over them.

-jk

chrishoke
03-14-2019, 09:39 AM
During the comeback, when Michigan had the ball, the crowd would chant DEFENSE CLAP CLAP DEFENSE... during the whole possession. It was truly deafening and intimidating to the ears of this then 10 year old boy standing at my $2 seat in section 2 of the old barn. I don't remember when this chant fell out of favor. In my opinion it was louder and more effective than the constant roar that we use now. I miss it.

Sean Wayne
08-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Here's a great article from GoDuke - written by our very own Al Featherston...

He's a NC Hall of Famer.

When did you know Steve Vacendak Jr.? Steve was my roommate and one of my best friends while we were at App State together. He passed away after hitting a car head on, while speeding down a steep one-lane road with a blind corner on his mountain bike, following a bouldering session at Howard's Knob.

Steve was an incredible person and a naturally gifted athlete. He was a very intelligent and always made school look easy. Steve was also fearless, almost to a fault. I watched him cheat death more than once. His introduction to kayaking was running a class V Wilson Creek before he could even eskimo roll a boat. He also took a ground fall while learning how to aid climb at Shiprock. He was about 20' up the route when his gear ripped out and he hit the deck. Amazingly, he landed on the only flat rock in the talus pile. I'll never forget all of our rock climbing and wilderness adventures together. Especially poaching Grandfather Mountain at night during a blizzard.

Steve had a bright future ahead of him. He was going to be a Geology professor at App State. He was the most motivated person I have ever met. He never let a day go by without participating in some kind of fun and challenging outdoor recreational activity. I keep a framed photo of him in my living room. He's been gone now for 20 years, but I still think about him often. I only met his dad and sister a handful of times. I remember his dad being very strict and demanding of Steve. He definitely did not give his son any handouts. But I believe this is what made Steve as tough and self sufficient as he was.

RIP, Dirty. I miss you buddy.