PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan is one competitive dude

Nick
03-11-2019, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure what to think about this story so I'm putting it here:
https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/41768-belk-place-carolina-theater-and-hotel-intercontinental/?page=42&tab=comments#comment-1590560

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2019, 09:12 AM
https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/41768-belk-place-carolina-theater-and-hotel-intercontinental/?page=42&tab=comments#comment-1590560

That jives with everything I have ever heard about him. Some guys are fierce competitors on the court to the point of dirty (Chris Paul, Steve Smith from the Panthers) but true gems off the field/court, giving freely of time and money. Other guys are just flat out jerks.

MJ is one of the most intense players we have ever seen, which is what made him impossible to look away from. But, his off-court stories are mostly pretty wretched.

mph
03-11-2019, 10:31 AM

IDK. I don’t have a hard time believing that MJ can be a jerk. His Hall of Fame speech revealed an arrogance that extends beyond the court. OTOH, one of the big downsides of social media and internet message boards is the ease with which we believe negative stories about people we already dislike. If true, this story is outrageously offense. All the more reason to give it no credibility until someone attaches their reputation to its validity.

riverside6
03-11-2019, 11:10 AM
IDK. I don’t have a hard time believing that MJ can be a jerk. His Hall of Fame speech revealed an arrogance that extends beyond the court. OTOH, one of the big downsides of social media and internet message boards is the ease with which we believe negative stories about people we already dislike. If true, this story is outrageously offense. All the more reason to give it no credibility until someone attaches their reputation to its validity.

I will say the timeline the guy lays out matches up pretty well. Jordan played for the Barons in 94, and I'm assuming the Ed and Jermaine referenced are Ed Cota and Jermaine O'Neal (based upon who they are guarding it makes sense) who were both class of 96 players. Can't quite find anyone on Princeton's late 90's teams from the Charlotte area though.

Ok, I've spent too much time on this.

alteran
03-11-2019, 03:02 PM

This person has a lot of casual details right, like the walk to Granville (which is where UNC’S ball players live, and yes, features a pickup court out front where the players routinely played back in the day).

There’s enough details in here to try to verify if someone had the time.

Seems a bit much. Jordan has the rep of a world class class $@&$hole, tho.

wavedukefan70s
03-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Give me any other player that you think is goat.your off court antics weigh in as much as your on court performance. Jordan may be top 5 or ten but I will never concede him as goat.

Billy Dat
03-11-2019, 03:17 PM
I think this story is BS, but he does seem to be like a jerk. Here's a first person account by hip-hop artist Chamillionaire seems to be legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

jv001
03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
I think this story is BS, but he does seem to be like a jerk. Here's a first person account by hip-hop artist Chamillionaire seems to be legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ZQERHL6ow

MJ is the main reason I've never rooted for the Charlotte Hornets. He's a jerk and he seems to like being seen as a jerk. GoDuke!

kAzE
03-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Jesus . . . I don't know if that story is true, but I would never underestimate MJ's pettiness and will to destroy everything in his path. At this point, I don't think it's even possible to be that great at something and NOT be a complete A-hole. Greatness and eccentricity (loose definition of the word) go hand-in-hand.

AustinDevil
03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
I will say the timeline the guy lays out matches up pretty well. Jordan played for the Barons in 94, and I'm assuming the Ed and Jermaine referenced are Ed Cota and Jermaine O'Neal (based upon who they are guarding it makes sense) who were both class of 96 players. Can't quite find anyone on Princeton's late 90's teams from the Charlotte area though.

Ok, I've spent too much time on this.

The post does not exactly say that he played for Princeton.

uh_no
03-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Jesus . . . I don't know if that story is true, but I would never underestimate MJ's pettiness and will to destroy everything in his path. At this point, I don't think it's even possible to be that great at something and NOT be a complete A-hole. Greatness and eccentricity (loose definition of the word) go hand-in-hand.

bit of a selective bias.

Arnold Palmer and Jack
Peyton and Tom Brady
Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson

there are lots of people who are in the goat conversation in their sport who seen to be decent people off the field

Troublemaker
03-11-2019, 04:03 PM

Aren't comparable players like Kareem and Russell considered to be pretty good guys?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Aren't comparable players like Kareem and Russell considered to be pretty good guys?

Kareem by all accounts was and is a prince of a man.

FerryFor50
03-11-2019, 04:16 PM

And LeBron James.

fuse
03-11-2019, 04:39 PM
If this story is remotely true, it makes me very sad for Michael Jordan.

That is some next level pettiness.

Sadly nothing on snopes to confirm or deny this story.

BandAlum83
03-11-2019, 05:07 PM
I couldn't find the story.

The link goes to page 42 of a bulletin board.

Maybe if you linked the actual story. I just wasted 3 minutes trying to find it.

rocketeli
03-11-2019, 05:13 PM
my take is that the story is fiduciary-ly true

Billy Dat
03-11-2019, 05:13 PM
I couldn't find the story.

The link goes to page 42 of a bulletin board.

Maybe if you linked the actual story. I just wasted 3 minutes trying to find it.

The story IS on page 42 of the bulletin board, it has blue type and starts with, "Cool Story Bro:"

The poster's name is Tyrone Wiggum. When I clicked the link it is the first thing that popped up.

Not that this is worth the effort, but here are the parts that seemed unbelievable to me:
-The guy suffers a compound fracture and MJ laughs at him?
-After laughing, MJ sneers at Dean Smith? No way. By all accounts, he revered Dean Smith. There is no way he would have treated him that way.
-If he was that dismissive of the kid, do we really think he'd remember who he was years later?
-No way he went through all the trouble arranging the chicken that way in the hopes that the guy would ask for white meat.

The whole thing seems contrived.

J4Kop99
03-11-2019, 05:25 PM
Further proof that Gretzky>Jordan

And speaking of which, you all will enjoy this:

Rich Strafella, a VP and long-time gaming exec at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas, was recently asked by UrbanDaddy.com to share his favorite celebrity story.

"I remember a night when Wayne Gretzky insulted Michael Jordan at the table. It was a private salon game. Michael had ordered a drink from the cocktail waitress, and he gave her a five-dollar chip. Wayne took it off the cocktail waitress's tray, gave it back to Michael, grabbed a hundred-dollar chip from Michael's stack and put it on the cocktail waitress's tray. Then he said, "That's how we tip in Las Vegas, Michael."

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/9/1678628/wayne-gretzky-michael-jordan-vegas

Edit: The referenced post from the OP sounds a little too far-fetched... but still-- That fact that some might even think it's true says all the needs to be said.

sleepybear
03-11-2019, 05:28 PM
The story ends with "/s", so it is a safe bet it is not true.

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2019, 05:30 PM

I haven't clicked the link to read it, but from all of your posts, if it's not reputable, isn't it rumor mongering?

sleepybear
03-11-2019, 05:35 PM
I haven't clicked the link to read it, but from all of your posts, if it's not reputable, isn't it rumor mongering?

I think you have me confused with someone else. Looks like the guy who made up the story is trying to create copypasta and people either don't know what /s means or did not notice.

Billy Dat
03-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Ah, thanks for the tip...I never knew that.

kako
03-11-2019, 06:21 PM
The story IS on page 42 of the bulletin board, it has blue type and starts with, "Cool Story Bro:"

The poster's name is Tyrone Wiggum. When I clicked the link it is the first thing that popped up.

Not that this is worth the effort, but here are the parts that seemed unbelievable to me:
-After laughing, MJ sneers at Dean Smith? No way. By all accounts, he revered Dean Smith. There is no way he would have treated him that way.
-If he was that dismissive of the kid, do we really think he'd remember who he was years later?
-No way he went through all the trouble arranging the chicken that way in the hopes that the guy would ask for white meat.

Though I would love to believe the story (feeding into my Carolina hatred), there do seem to be holes in it. The MJ sneering at Dean is indeed the most outrageous. But I also actually don't believe 3 high school recruits at any level could beat a circa 1994 MJ 3-on-3 with any two mobile humans (or even one mobile human and a blind, one-legged chipmunk) in a game to 11. He would have shut them down waaaay before that.

9F

duke4ever19
03-11-2019, 06:40 PM

David Goggins calls it "taking souls." That's the best description of MJ's particular competitive philosophy.

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2019, 06:54 PM
I think you have me confused with someone else. Looks like the guy who made up the story is trying to create copypasta and people either don't know what /s means or did not notice.

Wasn't singling you out, just making a comment in general about the apparent untruth.

gus
03-11-2019, 07:02 PM
Though I would love to believe the story (feeding into my Carolina hatred), there do seem to be holes in it. The MJ sneering at Dean is indeed the most outrageous. But I also actually don't believe 3 high school recruits at any level could beat a circa 1994 MJ 3-on-3 with any two mobile humans (or even one mobile human and a blind, one-legged chipmunk) in a game to 11. He would have shut them down waaaay before that.

9F

I mean, if someone really wants to research this he gave enough verifiable facts. For example, if there was an event at Myers Park Country Club 5ish years ago for Komen, information for that event probably still exists on the web and might list the keynote speaker (who he claimed to be). I'm not interested enough to try though. I am happy enough believing MJ is a [jerk] without this story.

ChillinDuke
03-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Yeah, count me in the camp that thinks this is bogus.

Seems more like a well thought out South Park script than something that would actually transpire like that in real life.

I guess anything's possible, but this seems pretty far out there. My God.

- Chillin

Kdogg
03-11-2019, 08:15 PM
I don’t know if this is true or not.
What I do know is Jordon while visiting Buzz Peterson’s home tried to cheat Buzz’s mother at cards. AS A GUEST. IN HER OWN HOME. This was during college and Buzz and him were friend.
He’s the best basketball player I have ever seen but no a good guy.

duketaylor
03-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Further proof that Gretzky>Jordan

And speaking of which, you all will enjoy this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/9/1678628/wayne-gretzky-michael-jordan-vegas

Edit: The referenced post from the OP sounds a little too far-fetched... but still-- That fact that some might even think it's true says all the needs to be said.

This part of the story is most believable, to me.

SupaDave
03-11-2019, 09:01 PM

Since I'm here....

Classic MJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B7U74Dg04k

cato
03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
I don’t know if this is true or not.
What I do know is Jordon while visiting Buzz Peterson’s home tried to cheat Buzz’s mother at cards. AS A GUEST. IN HER OWN HOME. This was during college and Buzz and him were friend.
He’s the best basketball player I have ever seen but no a good guy.

Now that is a story I believe.

weezie
03-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Give me any other player that you think is goat.your off court antics weigh in as much as your on court performance. Jordan may be top 5 or ten but I will never concede him as goat.

Me neither. Detroit Bad Boys say hello.

moonpie23
03-11-2019, 11:02 PM
this story could be true.....it doesn't sound out of character for the guy. I've only had one evening of dealing with him, and the profile fits.

Steven43
03-12-2019, 12:18 AM

Seems more like a well thought out South Park script than something that would actually transpire like that in real life.
- Chillin
Yeah, there is not even a 1% chance this story is true. It reminds me of the ludicrous and poorly-written fantasy stories I would write in 6th grade. I could tell from the opening paragraph that it was completely farcical.

PackMan97
03-12-2019, 07:26 AM
I would be a bit honored if almost two decades after the fact that Jordan still remembered who I was and the fact that I once beat him at something pissed him off.

I would want him to know that when I was there with my leg bone poking out of my skin and he was gloating that I flashed him the WOLFPACK sign and said, "Go To Hell Carolina" as they were loading me into the ambulance. I would want that to eat him from the inside out. Every day of his life.

9f all those cheaters!

Troublemaker
03-12-2019, 07:38 AM

I guess anything's possible, but this seems pretty far out there. My God.

- Chillin

Heh. So this guy is Scott Tenorman and Jordan is Cartman -- at least that's what I thought of.

Yeah, the story is probably not true. Having specific details like the keynote speaking at an event would just make the writer a good liar/storyteller. Good liars mix the truth (or verifiable facts) in with the lies.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Yeah, there is not even a 1% chance this story is true. It reminds me of the ludicrous and poorly-written fantasy stories I would write in 6th grade. I could tell from the opening paragraph that it was completely farcical.
Most likely. But the fact that someone could conjure up a story like that and people would pause even for a moment to consider its plausibility given Jordan’s personality and reputation actually says a lot about him — and none of it’s good.

Now, had the storyteller worked in a reference to some nonsensical utterance by Jordan, he might have added a touch more credibility to his tale.

JasonEvans
03-12-2019, 08:41 AM
I can't believe there isn't a single "ceiling is the roof" reference in this thread. I am quite disappointed.

https://i.etsystatic.com/16772552/d/il/e3f02a/1760896953/il_340x270.1760896953_rzy1.jpg?version=0

Steven43
03-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Most likely. But the fact that someone could conjure up a story like that and people would pause even for a moment to consider its plausibility given Jordan’s personality and reputation actually says a lot about him — and none of it’s good.

If even 10% of the stories told over the years are true, it seems Mike might not be the greatest guy in the world. But damn, what a basketball player.

Bluedog
03-12-2019, 09:17 AM

I asked Russell for a photo once (on the campus of WashU) and got yelled at for it ...not by him though. But with the woman he was with. Maybe his wife, not sure if he's married.

Apparently, he's notorious for not signing autographs though which I didn't know at the time.