PDA

View Full Version : Does Roy have a deal with Satan?

UrinalCake
03-10-2019, 10:00 PM
How else to explain his incredible injury luck in our recent matchups:

3/9/19 Duke 70 UNC 79 - Zion out, Bolden injures knee in opening minutes
2/20/19 Duke 72 UNC 88 - Zion hurts knee when shoe explodes in opening minute
3/9/18 Duke 69 UNC 74 - Tre Duval hurts ankle in first half. Plays through it, basically on one foot
3/3/18 Duke 74 UNC 64 - Everybody healthy, hooray!
2/8/18 Duke 78 UNC 82 - Bagley hurts knee, continues to play but misses the next four games so probably was affected by it
3/10/17 Duke 93 UNC 83 - Everybody healthy, hooray!
3/4/17 Duke 83 UNC 90 - Everybody healthy, no excuses
2/9/17 Duke 86 UNC 78 - Everybody healthy, hooray!
3/5/16 Duke 72 UNC 76 - Amile Jefferson lost for season with knee injury
2/17/16 Duke 74 UNC 73 - No Amile, Matt Jones injured in first half, Duke plays iron man and still wins

So basically we are 3-1 against them over the past three seasons when our team is healthy. This doesn't even include Harry Giles being a shell of himself, Grayson having various knee, leg and wrist issues for his junior and senior years, or them never having to face Kyrie. They lost Kendall Marshall in 2012, and that sucked for them. But that's one major injury in a decade. We seem to have one every year.

richardjackson199
03-10-2019, 10:06 PM

3/9/18 Duke 69 UNC 74 - Tre Duval hurts ankle in first half. Plays through it, basically on one foot
2/8/18 Duke 78 UNC 82 - Bagley hurts knee, continues to play but misses the next four games so probably was affected by it
2/17/16 Duke 74 UNC 73 - No Amile, Matt Jones injured in first half, Duke plays iron man and still wins

So basically we are 3-1 against them over the past three seasons when our team is healthy. This doesn't even include Harry Giles being a shell of himself, Grayson having various knee, leg and wrist issues for his junior and senior years, or them never having to face Kyrie. They lost Kendall Marshall in 2012, and that sucked for them. But that's one major injury in a decade. We seem to have one every year.

Also, if you keep going back, don't forget the 2015 Duke/UNC game where Okafor landed on Joel James foot and Big Jah sprained his ankle pretty bad and left the game. Jah then also had to miss the next game vs Clemson with that sprained ankle which Duke still won. Duke still beat UNC that game without Jah thanks to heroics from Tyus Stones IIRC.

richardjackson199
03-10-2019, 10:08 PM
I mean maybe God's favorite color really is Carolina blue. Sorry too soon. ;)

Or maybe the man upstairs doesn't like us using the devil as a mascot.

Duke Divinity needs to look into all this for a group thesis. The exploding shoe feels biblical.

Sacrificing Ramesses V definitely couldn't hurt.

UrinalCake
03-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Also, if you keep going back, don't forget the 2015 Duke/UNC game where Okafor landed on Joel James foot and Big Jah sprained his ankle pretty bad and left the game. Jah then also had to miss the next game vs Clemson with that sprained ankle which Duke still won. Duke still beat UNC that game without Jah thanks to heroics from Tyus Stones IIRC.

My memory of that sequence of events is completely different. I recall Jah continued to play the whole game including overtime on that ankle. But then he missed the Clemson game that followed, but the team blew them out without him, leading to the birth of The Okafor Theory.

richardjackson199
03-10-2019, 10:18 PM
My memory of that sequence of events is completely different. I recall Jah continued to play the whole game including overtime on that ankle. But then he missed the Clemson game that followed, but the team blew them out without him, leading to the birth of The Okafor Theory.

You're right. But it was another significant injury to a Duke starter vs UNC where our player missed game time. Like with the Bagley injury, Duke did fine in that case without him. But it's a LOT of injuries to Duke players that happen in the UNC games. It's gotten unbelievable.

2 MCL sprains to a starter in the games opening minutes. smh

richardjackson199
03-10-2019, 10:38 PM
And if we're going to bring Zion back for the ACC Tourney, Zion could play UNCheat on Friday. Should Duke call an emergency meeting tomorrow to change the Duke mascot just in case?

Syracuse changed theirs to a fruit.

The Duke Blue Berries?

;)

Too soft? The Duke Black Hearses?

richardjackson199
03-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Still too dark? The Duke White Angels? That could do it! :cool:

CoachJ10
03-10-2019, 11:25 PM
I thought this was about the maddening tournament success the Tar Holes have had since the Uncheat scandal erupted. But yes...this too...

Wahoo2000
03-11-2019, 12:23 AM

Maybe the difference is playing, on average, more veteran player who have additional years of S&C development, as well as playing guys much lower minutes-loads than Duke seems to on average? This is ONLY a hypothesis.

I will say that I don't care HOW elite an athlete is (not speaking to Zion specifically, as his knee thing was more "freak" than any other injury I've seen), 18/19 y.o. guys that haven't had time to develop and are additionally under a large minutes burden seem MUCH more likely to suffer injuries than upperclassmen playing 25ish mpg.

Edited to add - I'm well aware that Jefferson and Bolden aren't in that "young buck" category as much. Like I said, just a theory.

PackMan97
03-11-2019, 01:33 AM
No, Roy Williams did not make a deal with Satan. Satan made a deal with Roy.

Duke79UNLV77
03-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Maybe the difference is playing, on average, more veteran player who have additional years of S&C development, as well as playing guys much lower minutes-loads than Duke seems to on average? This is ONLY a hypothesis.

I will say that I don't care HOW elite an athlete is (not speaking to Zion specifically, as his knee thing was more "freak" than any other injury I've seen), 18/19 y.o. guys that haven't had time to develop and are additionally under a large minutes burden seem MUCH more likely to suffer injuries than upperclassmen playing 25ish mpg.

Edited to add - I'm well aware that Jefferson and Bolden aren't in that "young buck" category as much. Like I said, just a theory.

So, did Zion get hurt because he averages 1 more mpg than Coby White, or did Bolden get hurt because he averages 11 mpg less than Maye? Did Zion, Bolden, and Jones all get hurt very early in games because they were fatigued?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2019, 07:13 AM
I will say that I don't care HOW elite an athlete is (not speaking to Zion specifically, as his knee thing was more "freak" than any other injury I've seen), 18/19 y.o. guys that haven't had time to develop and are additionally under a large minutes burden seem MUCH more likely to suffer injuries than upperclassmen playing 25ish mpg..

I don't know that your theory is valid...18-19 versus 20-21...regarding injuries...perhaps Kedsy has some figures on it. Of course, Zion's was the result of an equipment malfunction.....

MarkD83
03-11-2019, 07:40 AM

I think you mean Swofford made a deal with Roy or is that the same as what you said

UrinalCake
03-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry, Amile Jefferson, Grayson Allen all suffered injuries while juniors and/or seniors. Going back further you have Carlos Boozer, Nate James, Elton Brand (sophomore), etc.

EDIT: got my years wrong. Elton did miss time as a sophomore, but his freshman year was when he broke his foot

dukelifer
03-11-2019, 07:49 AM
So, did Zion get hurt because he averages 1 more mpg than Coby White, or did Bolden get hurt because he averages 11 mpg less than Maye? Did Zion, Bolden, and Jones all get hurt very early in games because they were fatigued?

Clearly Baker’s chance of getting injured in a game is very low. So there is that.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2019, 08:13 AM
I don’t know if he has a deal with Satan, but Roy can sure go to Hell.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Clearly Baker’s chance of getting injured in a game is very low. So there is that.

Yes, but should we have waited and let him get injured in his 5th year? Discuss.

DavidBenAkiva
03-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Coach K has a deserved wrap as a coach that plays a short rotation, but it is Roy Williams that is the outlier. Within the ACC, It's just Ol' Roy and Leonard Hamilton that will regularly play 10 or more players in a conference game. Coach K is more like Tony Bennett in that he plays 7-8 guys most years.

My hypothesis is that injuries are about luck. For whatever reason, Duke has had more than its share of significant injuries over the past 20 or so years. It's frustrating, to say the least.

devildeac
03-11-2019, 09:21 AM

dean knew, too.

wsb3
03-11-2019, 09:51 AM
No. Roy is the Devil..

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Can we please close this thread? The idea that a devil of any hue would consort with Roy is offensive.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2019, 10:12 AM
"The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe that cheating in Chapel Hill never existed."

-- Kaiser Soze

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2019, 01:31 PM
"The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making people believe that cheating in Chapel Hill never existed."

-- Kaiser Soze
And now named by USA Today as national coach of the year. How absurd.

AGDukesky
03-19-2019, 01:49 PM

Coach takes preseason #8, has no major injuries to key players and finishes #3 = NCOY

Coach takes preseason #4, has 10 games in conference with major injuries and finishes #1 = meh

Tjenkins
03-19-2019, 02:16 PM
I thought this was about the maddening tournament success the Tar Heels have had since the Uncheat scandal erupted. But yes...this too...

Exactly what I thought when I saw the topic. It's amazing how so many people act like the cheating scandal never happened.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Coach takes preseason #8, has no major injuries to key players and finishes #3 = NCOY

Coach takes preseason #4, has 10 games in conference with major injuries and finishes #1 = meh
Not to mention minimal upperclassman on-court contributions or leadership. So, building from scratch in one season.

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Not to mention minimal upperclassman on-court contributions or leadership. So, building from scratch in one season.

One can argue this is why Coach K shouldn't get consideration this year...

bluebeagle
03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Didn't Bobby Hurley break his foot against the cheats?

UrinalCake
03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Given the latest news out of Kentucky, it appears Roy has re-upped his contract with Lucifer.

Chicago 1995
03-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Yes. He absolutely has a deal with the devil.

BD80
03-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Given the latest news out of Kentucky, it appears Roy has re-upped his contract with Lucifer.

I thought Satan required a soul as payment?

mattyoung18
03-21-2019, 03:06 PM

He has good lawyers

devildeac
03-21-2019, 03:13 PM
"...Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
What's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah..."

JetpackJesus
03-21-2019, 03:21 PM
"...Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name, oh yeah
What's puzzling you is the nature of my game, oh yeah..."

Your name? Roy. The nature of your game? Cheating.

I have no sympathy for you.

BandAlum83
03-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Do you think Satan has any use for left over time outs?

May be Roy doesn't get hambur......

Nevermind...can't be.

kako
03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
No. The University of North Carolina basketball program has a deal with Satan.

Let's not forget:

1. Georgetown v. UNC. On the last possession for the win, Fred Brown's pass directly to James Worthy in '82 results in the national championship.
2. Michigan title game. With a chance to win the game, Chris Webber calls TO when Michigan has none in '93. Another natty to Carolina.
3. Kennedy Meeks' hand was clearly out of bounds against the Zags with less 30 seconds left and Gonzaga down by 1, but instead a held ball is called. Possession, Chapel Hill. The game was marred with eagle eye zebra calls everywhere, but this one was clearly wrong. Carolina is fouled, hits FTs and wins another natty.
4. Satan really tried to give Carolina another one when he guided Marcus Paige's impossible shot to tie Nova in '16. But this time God got his face out of a tortilla in Guadalajara just in time to right the wrong and allow the Kris Jenkins' shot to go in at the buzzer.

9F

camion
03-21-2019, 06:30 PM
I thought Satan required a soul as payment?

To answer the question posed by the thread title: Yes.

Sometimes when dealing with the soulless Satan will accept other items as payment for services. I'm told that Roy has struck a Hellish bargain where he may redeem his leftover timeouts for extra years of college time by players who otherwise would have gone to the NBA. The going rate is something like 25 timeouts per extra year college. For most coaches the rate would be more like 100 timeouts per college year, but Roy gets the volume discount.

Heaven (or Hell) only knows what use Satan has for the timeouts, but I'm sure it's nothing good. :confused:

g4orce
03-21-2019, 08:24 PM
... But this time God got his face out of a tortilla in Guadalajara just in time to right the wrong...

9F

This made me laugh so hard I snorted... which made tomato soup go up my nose. Thanks... I needed that laugh today!

Duke79UNLV77
03-21-2019, 08:34 PM
No. The University of North Carolina basketball program has a deal with Satan.

Let's not forget:

1. Georgetown v. UNC. On the last possession for the win, Fred Brown's pass directly to James Worthy in '82 results in the national championship.
2. Michigan title game. With a chance to win the game, Chris Webber calls TO when Michigan has none in '93. Another natty to Carolina.
3. Kennedy Meeks' hand was clearly out of bounds against the Zags with less 30 seconds left and Gonzaga down by 1, but instead a held ball is called. Possession, Chapel Hill. The game was marred with eagle eye zebra calls everywhere, but this one was clearly wrong. Carolina is fouled, hits FTs and wins another natty.
4. Satan really tried to give Carolina another one when he guided Marcus Paige's impossible shot to tie Nova in '16. But this time God got his face out of a tortilla in Guadalajara just in time to right the wrong and allow the Kris Jenkins' shot to go in at the buzzer.

9F

Let’s not forget that UNCheat should have lost in the second round against Arkansas in 17, but for an absolute gift call after Berry walked and then charged, but somehow got to shoot free throws.

robed deity
03-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Let’s not forget that UNCheat should have lost in the second round against Arkansas in 17, but for an absolute gift call after Berry walked and then charged, but somehow got to shoot free throws.

Ugh. I forgot about that. Infuriating.

UrinalCake
03-21-2019, 09:58 PM
I don’t think Berry shot free throws. It was a no call after he walked and charged, but the missed shot bounced off the backboard and went right into Kennedy Meeks’s hands for a dunk/layup.

Also in the final four that season they played Oregon, whose starting center got injured during the tournament. The CHeats got two offensive rebounds off missed free throws in the final minute to seal the win. And in the Final that big Neanderthal dude from Gonzaga missed 6 or 7 wide open layups. I am convinced to this day that he was paid off by the Russian mob to throw that game. Roy must have bankrolled the operation.

Dukehky
03-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Coach K has a deserved wrap as a coach that plays a short rotation, but it is Roy Williams that is the outlier. Within the ACC, It's just Ol' Roy and Leonard Hamilton that will regularly play 10 or more players in a conference game. Coach K is more like Tony Bennett in that he plays 7-8 guys most years.

My hypothesis is that injuries are about luck. For whatever reason, Duke has had more than its share of significant injuries over the past 20 or so years. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Against Duke, historically, Roy has played a markedly shorter bench than he usually does.

Dukehky
03-21-2019, 10:18 PM

I freaking hate Roy Williams. I think he is pompous and disingenuous.

However, of all the years I think he might deserve coach of the year, it's this year. He doesn't have 3/4 5 star recruits. Cam and Luke have been very good, which is probably not due to a whole lot of Roy's coaching compared to work from those guys and probably some level of under-evaluation in recruiting. He let Coby White run the show from the get go. Last year, Coby played 2 guard while his AAU team let Wendell Moore run the show. No one thought he would give Coby the reigns, but he did, and that was the right decision. He's also been good without Nas being the kind of player every recruiting/draft-nik thought he would be.

He's done a good job. It's probably easier when you don't have to turn over the entire roster, but they're better than I ever imagined they would be this year. It sucks.

They are also the luckiest sports program of all time. I've said this numerous times. They shouldn't have a program right now. Their 2 final four runs were based on 4/5 star players, all of whom were McD's AAs who stayed 3/4 years. Duke has had countless injuries against them, in 2017 the bracket cleared out for them, Jordan Bell forgot how to rebound in the Final Four (their center, Bouchard also got hurt right before the tournament), and Zach Collins was killing them before the refs called infinity BS fouls on him. He played 0 minute against Kyrie and 33 seconds against Zion in the regular season. Their regular season schedule as a joke compared to Duke's.

F-Them. He has a golden horse shoe up his butt. But if this year was all he had, I'd be pretty freaking impressed.

Note: USA Today also named RJ POY. I love RJ, I think he's been drastically underrated most of the year because of Zion, but Zion was the NPOY...

rsvman
03-21-2019, 10:19 PM
I don’t think Berry shot free throws. It was a no call after he walked and charged, but the missed shot bounced off the backboard and went right into Kennedy Meeks’s hands for a dunk/layup.

Also in the final four that season they played Oregon, whose starting center got injured during the tournament. The CHeats got two offensive rebounds off missed free throws in the final minute to seal the win. And in the Final that big Neanderthal dude from Gonzaga missed 6 or 7 wide open layups. I am convinced to this day that he was paid off by the Russian mob to throw that game. Roy must have bankrolled the operation.

Oh, yeah, that center of theirs was freaking terrible in the final! I heard he was actually a good player during the regular season.

Dukehky
03-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Oh, yeah, that center of theirs was freaking terrible in the final! I heard he was actually a good player during the regular season.

I don't think Mike Krzyzewski would be pleased with your insinuation that a fellow Polish man would be susceptible to Russian interference...

rsvman
03-21-2019, 10:29 PM
I don't think Mike Krzyzewski would be pleased with your insinuation that a fellow Polish man would be susceptible to Russian interference...

Hey, Urinal Cake made the accusation. All I did was verify that he played poorly.