PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle the stress of tomorrow? A (semi-sarcastic) plea for help!

scottdude8
03-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Tomorrow might be the most stressful day on my personal sports calendar that I can imagine. At 6 o'clock we play UNC with revenge and potentially a shot at a No. 1 seed on the line. Up until that point we'll all be glued to our phones for any semblance of news regarding Zion. Then, IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the Duke game, Michigan plays MSU with a B1G title on the line, along with another revenge opportunity after Michigan let the first matchup slip through their fingers.

My question to this board I know and love: what the heck do I do for the first 8-10 hours of the day tomorrow to keep myself from going insane with anticipation? What do you all do when it's countdown to UNC day, or another big game? And can anyone remember a day in their own personal sports fandom as important as this one for a Duke/Michigan fan like myself?

Native
03-08-2019, 10:27 AM

dukebluesincebirth
03-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Tomorrow might be the most stressful day on my personal sports calendar that I can imagine. At 6 o'clock we play UNC with revenge and potentially a shot at a No. 1 seed on the line. Up until that point we'll all be glued to our phones for any semblance of news regarding Zion. Then, IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the Duke game, Michigan plays MSU with a B1G title on the line, along with another revenge opportunity after Michigan let the first matchup slip through their fingers.

My question to this board I know and love: what the heck do I do for the first 8-10 hours of the day tomorrow to keep myself from going insane with anticipation? What do you all do when it's countdown to UNC day, or another big game? And can anyone remember a day in their own personal sports fandom as important as this one for a Duke/Michigan fan like myself?

I think we'll have Zion news by this afternoon, and I'm already prepared for a "no-go" at unc, because Coach K already strongly hinted that he won't play. This may have been K's way of softening the blow for us fans a bit. Anyhow, it was noted in another thread that K has a scheduled media event at 1pm today, and will likely update us on the status. Maybe he'll call it a gametime decision, but I'd bet not. Expect Z to not play, be happy if he does.

As for tomorrow's wait, there's no perfect answer... whatever works for you. I procrastinate housework on the weekends, so getting that done early will release some nervous energy and get some chores done at the same time. That way, after Duke wins tomorrow night, you'll have a clean house AND a victory!! Scrub those toilets, sinks, and floors!

royalblue
03-08-2019, 10:34 AM

April 6th 1992

scottdude8
03-08-2019, 10:38 AM
April 6th 1992

Touche, sir. Granted, I wasn't even two years old at the time, but I imagine my toddler self heard my father yelling at the TV during the infamous timeout...

CrazyNotCrazie
03-08-2019, 10:40 AM
April 6th 1992

Source of my favorite Duke shirt ever:

weezie
03-08-2019, 10:42 AM
First of all, I think we prefer totally sarcastic pleas for help. It's the Duke way.

Secondly, I encourage you to throw some of your unnecessary stuff away. Do some household tasks you've been putting off. Keep very busy with distasteful chores.

Nose to grindstone until it's time to settle in. Then, crack open some cold ones, flex your DBR chat muscles and get ready to RUUUUMMMMBLLLLLLE!!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2019, 10:42 AM

No no...this calls for vodka.....

BLPOG
03-08-2019, 10:47 AM

8 AM to 5 PM: Gym
5 PM to 6 PM: Buy booze and salty snacks
6 PM to ~8:30 PM: Watch game, drink booze

Unfortunately, you're going to miss the Michigan game because of the booze. Them's the breaks.

scottdude8
03-08-2019, 10:51 AM
8 AM to 5 PM: Gym
5 PM to 6 PM: Buy booze and salty snacks
6 PM to ~8:30 PM: Watch game, drink booze

Unfortunately, you're going to miss the Michigan game because of the booze. Them's the breaks.

Nah, the booze will just make me watch the Michigan game louder. More fun for me, less fun for my wife and my puppy.

GoDuke2015
03-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Touche, sir. Granted, I wasn't even two years old at the time, but I imagine my toddler self heard my father yelling at the TV during the infamous timeout...

Timeout game was 1993, right?

scottdude8
03-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Timeout game was 1993, right?

Oh shoot you're right, timeout was against UNC not us!

elvis14
03-08-2019, 11:17 AM
If you were here in the Triangle, I could really help you out. I'm running in a 5 in the morning to raise $$ for colon cancer research. After that, I have lots of yard work that could be done. If fact if anyone needs something to do before the game, let me know. I can help you out by giving you mind numbing manual labor to perform. Mow, spread mulch, spray moss killer, power wash way too many things, replace rotten wood on the house, rearrange the current collection of medical equitment in the garage for our non-profit, etc. Just let me know if you need help and I'll be there for you. If it'll help, I'll walk around with you with a beer in my hand giving instructions.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2019, 11:27 AM
Source of my favorite Duke shirt ever:

I had that one!

I would buy it again today.

royalblue
03-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Oh shoot you're right, timeout was against UNC not us!

First thought was 92 Duke Mich final
Second was 92 Semi-Final Mich-Cincinnati
Then Duke-Indiana
Third 93 final the Time Out game I was there and very unhappy at that one.
Hope Duke gets some good news on a dreary weather day in western North Carolina that fits with it being Kenny Smith’s Birthday

wgl1228
03-08-2019, 11:52 AM
On top of everything you mentioned, just imagine if UVA loses somehow minutes before tip off!

du_bb1
03-08-2019, 12:28 PM
If you were here in the Triangle, I could really help you out. I'm running in a 5 in the morning to raise $$ for colon cancer research. After that, I have lots of yard work that could be done. If fact if anyone needs something to do before the game, let me know. I can help you out by giving you mind numbing manual labor to perform. Mow, spread mulch, spray moss killer, power wash way too many things, replace rotten wood on the house, rearrange the current collection of medical equitment in the garage for our non-profit, etc. Just let me know if you need help and I'll be there for you. If it'll help, I'll walk around with you with a beer in my hand giving instructions.

I commend you on your willingness to help, a TRUE Duke fan !

CameronBlue
03-08-2019, 12:58 PM

Your question reminds me of an episode of "The Green Room with Paul Provenza" during which Judd Apatow describes the meditative technique of a Buddhist monk whom Gary Shandling had befriended and brought to the movie set of "Knocked Up". At about 10:30 of the video linked below, Apatow describes how the monk was able to achieve a heightened state of calm that surely must've been ethereal and other-worldly. Give it a try and let us know how you made out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwXAmpMv32Y

NSFW, content is at times very blue, but wickedly funny.

budwom
03-08-2019, 01:00 PM
when all else fails, there's something to be said for the fetal position. I'm told the unborn use it frequently, with few complaints.

UrinalCake
03-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Spend time with friends and family, remind yourself that it's just a game and the sun will come up the next morning regardless of what happens :)

budwom
03-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Spend time with friends and family, remind yourself that it's just a game and the sun will come up the next morning regardless of what happens :)

easy for you to say from the comfort of your Porcelain Palace! Stay dry my friend!

slower
03-08-2019, 01:37 PM
For those special, high-stress games:

1. Do NOT watch it live. This is basic survival stuff, right here. I mean, everybody knows this, right? Use the technology at your disposal and watch it later (only if we win, of course).

2. If you MUST watch it live, as soon as Duke takes a lead, you must turn off the game IMMEDIATELY. Again, this is crucial to maintaining your sanity.

3. If you choose to follow online via ESPN (or other) updating box score, then as soon as Duke takes the lead, you must WALK AWAY from your device.

4. Don't answer your phone, unless you're sure it's not game-related.

These rules may be the ONLY way you survive.

JetpackJesus
03-08-2019, 08:38 PM

Mods, please change elvis14's username to tomsawyer14.

As for me, I would recommend some day drinking until game time. And then I would recommend some more drinking during the games. And then maybe some more drinking after the games.

Of course, the game is at 1pm for me, so my day drinking task is not nearly as daunting as OP's.

EDIT: I tried to spork you, budwom, but TPTB said no.

JetpackJesus
03-08-2019, 08:42 PM
For those special, high-stress games:

1. Do NOT watch it live. This is basic survival stuff, right here. I mean, everybody knows this, right? Use the technology at your disposal and watch it later (only if we win, of course).

2. If you MUST watch it live, as soon as Duke takes a lead, you must turn off the game IMMEDIATELY. Again, this is crucial to maintaining your sanity.

3. If you choose to follow online via ESPN (or other) updating box score, then as soon as Duke takes the lead, you must WALK AWAY from your device.

4. Don't answer your phone, unless you're sure it's not game-related.

These rules may be the ONLY way you survive.

Add to these rules: Join the DBR Chat. It's a very measured, calm place where no one steps out on the ledge at the first sign of adversity. :p

MChambers
03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
If you have other interests, focus on them!

I’m going to a meeting of a tropical fish club and then to a show featuring two great but obscure musicians!

22JumpShots
03-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Tomorrow might be the most stressful day on my personal sports calendar that I can imagine. At 6 o'clock we play UNC with revenge and potentially a shot at a No. 1 seed on the line.

Hey at least it isn't a 9pm game :P

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-08-2019, 09:07 PM
What stress?
Love, Ima

Fish80
03-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Focus on your game prep. First thing when you get up, get an easy work out. Three mile easy run is good. Then plenty of stretching. Eat a good protein breakfast, I like a bacon egg and cheese sandwich. Then relax watching game tape, and work on your fluids. Start with light beer or white wine. Continue to watch game tape. Study your moves and your opponent’s moves. Visualize.

At this point a nap is good.

Wake up by 2:00 pm eastern for a pre game meal. I recommend a 22 ounce porterhouse, potatoes au gratin, and a bottle of chateau neuf du pape.

Do some more stretching, very important. (And don’t forget about the bathroom. )

Time for another light workout. Use your 10 pound dumbbells and work you biceps, triceps, quadriceps, heck do all the ceps.

Clocks are ticking, should be about 4:00 pm. Shower and massage. (Just the massage, save your strength.)

Dress for success. VERY CRITICAL. DO NOT SCREW THUS UP. what you wear could decide the outcome. A greater than U t-shirt, basic math, is essential. Keep a black jersey nearby, in case RJ decides it’s their funeral.

Game Time! You are ready.

JetpackJesus
03-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Focus on your game prep. First thing when you get up, get an easy work out. Three mile easy run is good. Then plenty of stretching Eat a good protein breakfast, I like a bacon egg and cheese sandwich. Then relax watching game tape, and work on your fluids. Start with light beer or white wine. Continue to watch game tape. Study your moves and your opponent’s moves. Visualize.

At this point a nap is good.

Wake up by 2:00 pm eastern for a pre game meal. I ecommend a 22 ounce porterhouse, potatoes au gratin, and a bottle of chateau neuf du pape.

Do some more stretching, very important. (And don’t forget about the bathroom. )

Time for another light workout. Use your 10 pound dumbbells and work you biceps, triceps, quadriceps, heck do all the ceps.

Clocks are ticking, should be about 4:00 pm. Shower and massage. (Just the massage, save your strength.)

Dress for success. VERY CRITICAL. DO NOT SCREW THUS UP. what you wear could decide the outcome. A greater than U t-shirt, basic math, is essential. Keep a black jersey nearby, in case RJ decides it’s their funeral.

Game Time! You are ready.
Is a GO TO HELL CAROLINA t-shirt an acceptable substitute for the "basic math" shirt?

Fish80
03-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Is a GO TO HELL CAROLINA t-shirt an acceptable substitute for the "basic math" shirt?

Yes! Most definitely!

bigperm13
03-08-2019, 09:24 PM
I had that one!

I would buy it again today.

I had it too. Wore it out to tatters actually.

devildeac
03-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Mods, please change elvis14's username to tomsawyer14.

As for me, I would recommend some day drinking until game time. And then I would recommend some more drinking during the games. And then maybe some more drinking after the games.

Of course, the game is at 1pm for me, so my day drinking task is not nearly as daunting as OP's.

EDIT: I tried to spork you, budwom, but TPTB said no.

Add to these rules: Join the DBR Chat. It's a very measured, calm place where no one steps out on the ledge at the first sign of adversity. :p

I see you started a few hours earlier than you're recommending to others.

;)

JetpackJesus
03-08-2019, 11:38 PM
I see you started a few hours earlier than you're recommending to others.

;)
Well, it is happy hour right now...

duketaylor
03-09-2019, 12:28 AM
I'm gonna spend my day thinking about doing some yardwork (may actually do a little), then watching other ACC contests which can help/hinder our picking contest, which will include some occasional liquid refreshment, before returning home for a ribeye, some Brussels sprouts. Will likely mix in some $1 wagering on the ponies to keep my mind occupied. I always mix in some golf coverage, love Arnold Palmer and Bay Hill. Busy day!! All needs to culminate with a W!!! 9F, 9F!!!

duketaylor
03-09-2019, 12:34 AM
I had it too. Wore it out to tatters actually.

I made over a hundred GTHC, GTH t-shirts, still have some. Willing to sell you one, although a bit late now;)

Devilwin
03-09-2019, 05:46 AM
Wearing Duke colors all day is essential. I am doing the "something old ("I Wanna Be Like Mike" Tee Shirt) something new (my " Flyin' Zion" tee shirt).
Anyway, gonna have Duke gear on all day.
I advise to be careful on the drinking thing. If the basketball gods decide that today is not the day for us to exact our revenge on those cretins, then you'll only have a harder time clearing your head tomorrow...:cool:

scottdude8
03-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Wellllllll today sucked.

weezie
03-09-2019, 10:51 PM
Wellllllll today sucked.

Come on scottdude8, just tough it out. Monday morning, with a fat fake smile, take a big box of donuts to work and offer one to every stupid, loud-mouthed tormentor.

All humble, all congratulatory, all phony but you'll know those holes could never have pulled it off without the injuries.

What's the alternative? Sulk and moan? Naaah, you're better than that.

NEXT!

scottdude8
03-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Come on scottdude8, just tough it out. Monday morning, with a fat fake smile, take a big box of donuts to work and offer one to every stupid, loud-mouthed tormentor.

All humble, all congratulatory, all phony but you'll know those holes could never have pulled it off without the injuries.

What's the alternative? Sulk and moan? Naaah, you're better than that.

NEXT!

Well said. Good news is in Canada I’m far enough removed from the Sparties to avoid the worst of it, haha.

BLPOG
03-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Alternative, generalized strategy:

1. Eat sandwich.

2. Enjoy sandwich.

I'm doing it right now and it's working out pretty well.1

1There might also be a lot of whiskey and Zevon involved and my mood is not, uh, light.

gofurman
03-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Easy. Ask
Them to please keep Tre Jones mom in their thoughts and prayers. Most wont know why..

weezie
03-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Well said. Good news is in Canada I’m far enough removed from the Sparties to avoid the worst of it, haha.

scottdude8, my brother is a sparty. He sent me such a dopey text this morning that I had to clean his clock before breakfast. It was the equivalent of grabbing him in a noogie hold and grinding his head into a pulp. Then I yelled that he was being mean and our Dad came down from heaven to frog-march him into his room.

Again, the pleasant, vapid smile and the donuts. We all know sparty is a joke punchline.

wobatus
03-10-2019, 11:43 AM
My stress problem was solved when my 2 year old son fell at the playground at about 1:00 and broke his nose. My wife was freaking out, blood streaming down his face, and I said "Eh, don't worry, it's not broken. If it is it'll give his face character." She told me to take him to our pediatrician, who told me to go to the ER (the wife refused to go; couldn't take it). Yup, broken.

He's fine, though. Didn't seem too bothered by the whole ordeal. No black eyes or anything, no painkillers, not even Tylenol). Got out around 4:30. Watched my local beau geste rooting interest, Fordham, get smacked around yet again on ESPN + (3-15 in the A-10), then settled in for the main event.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Just read whichever day’s morning news for perspective and move on...

JetpackJesus
03-11-2019, 01:11 AM
My stress problem was solved when my 2 year old son fell at the playground at about 1:00 and broke his nose. My wife was freaking out, blood streaming down his face, and I said "Eh, don't worry, it's not broken. If it is it'll give his face character." She told me to take him to our pediatrician, who told me to go to the ER (the wife refused to go; couldn't take it). Yup, broken.

He's fine, though. Didn't seem too bothered by the whole ordeal. No black eyes or anything, no painkillers, not even Tylenol). Got out around 4:30. Watched my local beau geste rooting interest, Fordham, get smacked around yet again on ESPN + (3-15 in the A-10), then settled in for the main event.
What I learned from this story is that your 2 year old is tougher than Hanstravel. While not surprising, you should still be proud.

brevity
03-11-2019, 01:26 AM
What I learned from this story is that your 2 year old is tougher than Hanstravel.

Kid’s probably a better storyteller too.

https://youtu.be/4JieHmC9DH8

robed deity
03-11-2019, 01:39 AM
Kid’s probably a better storyteller too.

https://youtu.be/4JieHmC9DH8

Wow. Thank you for that. After researching a bit, I learned that his acorn (or rather, a corn) gem won this radio show's coveted quote of the year award.

Devilwin
03-11-2019, 06:26 AM
If UNC fans come up to me, they get an icy stare, and a " I don't want any of your (bleep) today (insert name)."
Works for me every time..

Duke fans wear our gear come Hell or high water..Heels fans only wear their's when they are winning. Let them lose, the gear goes away, and they crawl back under the rocks and logs like the worms and slugs they are..

devildeac
03-11-2019, 09:14 AM
If UNC fans come up to me, they get an icy stare, and a " I don't want any of your (bleep) today (insert name)."

Duke fans wear our gear come Hell or high water..Heels fans only wear their's when they are winning. Let them lose, the gear goes away, and they crawl back under the rocks and logs like the worms and slugs they are..

Hmmm, sounds like a good thread to start on the OTB.

;)

elvis14
03-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Looks like we will be playing them again on Thursday (unless they lose on Wednesday). Since I like to be has helpful as I can to my fellow DBRians, there's still lots of yard work available since my round of golf took forever yesterday (curse you 'cart path only'). So if you need stress relief and busy work, I'm still here for you and I still have beer that I can drink, despite my efforts late Saturday night. 9F :o

devildeac
03-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Looks like we will be playing them again on Thursday (unless they lose on Wednesday). Since I like to be has helpful as I can to my fellow DBRians, there's still lots of yard work available since my round of golf took forever yesterday (curse you 'cart path only'). So if you need stress relief and busy work, I'm still here for you and I still have beer that I can drink, despite my efforts late Saturday night. 9F :o

I'm able to assist you with your ale allowance on Friday and/or Saturday (no jinx; hoping we advance that far).

;)

Edouble
03-11-2019, 11:00 AM

I'm wearing my Duke gear from here on out.

"Make them pay." --Mama Zion

elvis14
03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
I'm able to assist you with your ale allowance on Friday and/or Saturday (no jinx; hoping we advance that far).

;)

Always good to know that you'll be there for me!

devildeac
03-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Always good to know that you'll be there for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFy3YWpRx8

Absolutely.