PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Wake Forest (Mar 5, 2019)

JBDuke
03-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their 71-70 win over Wake Forest tonight?

CDu
03-05-2019, 09:20 PM
I mean, I guess Barrett. But it isn’t like he played all that well either. But everywhere else I look was pretty darn rough, and he was at least ok.

ncexnyc
What's the name of the kid for Wake who missed that last shot? He deserves the MOTM award.

OZZIE4DUKE
Barrett, and I’m ignoring his foul shooting.

Acymetric
03-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Jones for rebounding, putting up some points, getting some steals, and not suffering a serious knee injury.

0-6 from three, 6-14 from the line, and 7 turnovers (yes I know the charge was bogus) is disqualifying I don't care how many points he scored.

knicknut
03-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Voted for our senior, who blocked a shot, didn't miss a shot, commit a foul, or commit a turnover.

Acymetric
03-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Voted for our senior, who blocked a shot, didn't miss a shot, commit a foul, or commit a turnover.

Argh! I should have voted for Vrank!

lotusland
03-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Tre. Made all his FTs, 8 boards and 3 steals. Barrett had too many TOs and missed FTs although we don’t come close to winning without his scoring. Also the last TO was a terrible call.

sagegrouse
03-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Gotta be Tre. Gutsy play. Free throws (4-4). Defense. Little Tre also led the team in rebounds. Would be RJ except for seven TO's, missed FTs (6-14) and missed threes (0-6). Of course, that last shot will be remembered for quite a while.

Devilwin
03-05-2019, 09:31 PM
AOC..couple of big shots. RJ had seven turnovers and could not hit free throws down the stretch.

dukelifer
03-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Did anyone else play but RJ?

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Dang! Why didn't I think of that? Bless his heart!
Love, Ima

KandG
03-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Voted for Alex. Made a huge shot to put us up 3, attacked a close out and got a 3 point play. He was far from perfect, but his head seemed to be in the game when he played and his lone turnover was an aggressive play, not a bonehead one.

RJ was obviously most influential, and we don't win without him, but 8 missed free throws and 7 turnovers meant the game was much closer than it had any right to be.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2019, 10:04 PM
AOC..couple of big shots. RJ had seven turnovers and could not hit free throws down the stretch.

7 TOs and all those missed FTs....the equivalent of 3-4 more TOs......or thereabouts.....voted AOC

wsb3
03-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Barrett, and I’m ignoring his foul shooting.

I can't..

wsb3
03-05-2019, 10:12 PM

Thanks I was going to vote for no one but I like your choice. I concur..

niveklaen
03-05-2019, 10:13 PM
I voted for Jack White. I know that last turnover was a bonehead play. But it was his only TO of the night. Its not like he had 7...
He had 10 rebounds. He had 2 blocks. He hit 2 important 3s.

jv001
03-05-2019, 10:16 PM
I looked down the list and didn't see anyone that jumped out at me so I voted for the player that scored the most points. Now I wish I could change it to Vrank like some did. GoDuke!

jipops
03-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Can I just vote for the rim? It wasn’t kind to us tonight but it was crueler to Wake at the end.

weezie
03-05-2019, 10:34 PM
I can't..

I sure can. He was playing with three deacs draped on him all night. Every grab, gouge, slap, the man played his heart out. He's got incredible lung capacity too. He was worn out but didn't heave when breathing it was impressive when we watched him at our end. He needed to control his heart rate. That may have been why the free throws were off.
RJ is a marvel. Just a stone cold killer. Player of the Year.

mapei
03-05-2019, 10:45 PM
I see that I am one of only two so far who are voting for Jack. Since "none of the above" isn't an option, I'm voting for the guy whose rebounding and defense kept the game within reach when little else was working.

I know RJ scored 28 points, and we obviously needed every one of them. But I can't vote for him on a night when he missed 8 free throws, missed all 6 of his 3-point attempts, and had 7 (!) turnovers.

What a night.

jv001
03-05-2019, 10:50 PM
I see that I am one of only two so far who are voting for Jack. Since "none of the above" isn't an option, I'm voting for the guy whose rebounding and defense kept the game within reach when little else was working.

I know RJ scored 28 points, and we obviously needed every one of them. But I can't vote for him on a night when he missed 8 free throws, missed all 6 of his 3-point attempts, and had 7 (!) turnovers.

What a night.

And a night that our point guard(Tre) out scored, out assisted, out rebounded, less turnovers, more steals, less fouls than Cam did. GoDuke!

kako
03-05-2019, 11:04 PM
The logical choice is Barrett. But I really wish he would be more consistent from the FT line and would stop trying to throw over the top... but don't get me wrong - I'll take him as-is! It's the rest of the team that needs to step up,

I almost voted for Vrank, though, as a sentimental vote.

9F

rsvman
03-05-2019, 11:22 PM
Tre.

AZLA
03-06-2019, 02:55 AM
Tre.

One of the toughest gutsiest blue devils ever

azzefkram
03-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Tre had the best all-around game. RJ scored a boatload of points and had to carry the offense but too many miscues for me to ignore.

left_hook_lacey
03-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Without Tre's defense and leadership, we lose.

CDu
03-06-2019, 10:44 AM
In hindsight, having looked at the stats, I wish I'd voted for Jones. I knew Barrett wasn't a great option, but I had felt he was the least blah option. That said, I overlooked the contributions Jones made.

Acymetric
03-06-2019, 10:52 AM
In hindsight, having looked at the stats, I wish I'd voted for Jones. I knew Barrett wasn't a great option, but I had felt he was the least blah option. That said, I overlooked the contributions Jones made.

Maybe I shouldn't be since a lot of people just go for the leading scorer more or less, but I'm a little surprised Barrett ran away with this one the way he did.

MChambers
03-06-2019, 10:55 AM

I thought Tre was the man last night. Excellent defense (of course) and some important offensive contributions, and returning to the game after that painful knee bruise. (And making two free throws with that bruise.)

devildeac
03-06-2019, 11:03 AM
I'm torn with this one. I went with Tre with his 13 points on 4/8 shooting, 8 boards (!!), 3 steals, 3A, 1TO, 4/4 FT and playing hurt in the last several minutes after 2 pretty rough Wake fouls. If Childress was his primary responsibility, he didn't do a very good job on that task. I'm not over-looking RJ with his 28 points on 11/23 shooting and (eventual) game-winning score but 0/6 on 3s and 6/14 FT kept Wake close.

killerleft
03-06-2019, 01:39 PM
RJ. He's not perfect, but without him we pretty much suck right now on offense. Seriously, somebody HAS to be willing to take shots. Even if the percentages aren't great sometimes, the RJ role cannot be played by anyone else on this team, even when Zion starts playing again.

RJ is putting up amazing freshman numbers. Despite being our offensive motor, despite having defenses collapse on him, he gives us the illusion of having an efficient offense. He's Austin Rivers on steroids, and I have always thought Rivers was/is way undervalued by most Duke fans.

Oh, and what Weezie said several posts above!

jv001
03-06-2019, 02:40 PM
RJ. He's not perfect, but without him we pretty much suck right now on offense. Seriously, somebody HAS to be willing to take shots. Even if the percentages aren't great sometimes, the RJ role cannot be played by anyone else on this team, even when Zion starts playing again.

RJ is putting up amazing freshman numbers. Despite being our offensive motor, despite having defenses collapse on him, he gives us the illusion of having an efficient offense. He's Austin Rivers on steroids, and I have always thought Rivers was/is way undervalued by most Duke fans.

Oh, and what Weezie said several posts above!

Agree, plus he's carrying the team on his shoulders in getting points on the board. He had to be tired last night and that could have affected his FTs and outside shooting. Not making excuses for the young man but I could be right. GoDuke!

weezie
03-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Agree, plus he's carrying the team on his shoulders in getting points on the board...

From where I sat inside Cameron, and what I've seen since Zion went down, RJ is not carrying the team on his back.

RJ is carrying the entire team in both his arms and then shooting with his magical left arm and scoring. His beautiful quiet sneers and glares are icing on the cake.

SupaDave
03-06-2019, 07:15 PM
The logical choice is Barrett. But I really wish he would be more consistent from the FT line and would stop trying to throw over the top... but don't get me wrong - I'll take him as-is! It's the rest of the team that needs to step up,

I almost voted for Vrank, though, as a sentimental vote.

9F

Can't step up if you don't get the ball. (kanye shrug)...

jv001
03-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Can't step up if you don't get the ball. (kanye shrug)...

True SupaDave but part of that responsibility belongs on the coaching staff. Duke uses a Pro-set for our offense most of the time and that doesn't call for certain sets to get other players open shots. I guess if we had 5 players that are capable of handling the basketball and capable of making 3 point shots that would be a good offense. But without Zion we don't seem to be able to run that offense effectively. GoDuke!

weezie
03-06-2019, 08:19 PM
True SupaDave but part of that responsibility belongs on the coaching staff. Duke uses a Pro-set for our offense most of the time and that doesn't call for certain sets to get other players open shots. I guess if we had 5 players that are capable of handling the basketball and capable of making 3 point shots that would be a good offense. But without Zion we don't seem to be able to run that offense effectively. GoDuke!

Boom.

SupaDave
03-07-2019, 02:04 PM

All facts. Someone needs to remind K what he used to do when he caught everyone "JJ watching" - except change that first "J" to an "R"...

"When we don't match another team's intensity—that doesn't happen very often—then all of a sudden we do 'J.J.-watching,' where we're watching J.J. play. We might as well get tickets and sit behind the bench. No one is doing anything out there.”

Intensity and playing up to each opponent is critical to Mike Krzyzewski's game plan. But Duke is not always perfect, and no one knows better than the coach.

When the Blue Devils play as one, they typically win. When they rely on one or two players to do everything, they often don't."