PDA

View Full Version : This Season and the 3000 Point Club

awhom111
03-02-2019, 12:55 AM
With so many storylines this season, the big career numbers being put up by Chris Clemons and Mike Daum seem to be flying under the radar.

On Wednesday, Clemons made it to 3,106 career points while Daum is 100 behind him at 3,006.

Both figure to have a minimum of 3 games, but likely a few more than that. Can Clemons get the 144 points it would take to move him to second all time behind Maravich? Can Daum get enough games to move well up the lists as well? He should pass Hersey Hawkins tomorrow while Clemons may have to wait until the conference tournament to move up the rankings.

Most of the career scoring chasing has been happening on the women's side in recent seasons and it is nice to see the men get into the act more this season.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
I’m sorry, but I have no idea who those players are or who they play for. So yeah, they’re under my radar for sure. LGD GTHc! Beat Miami!

Bob Green
03-02-2019, 07:51 AM
I’m sorry, but I have no idea who those players are or who they play for.

Chris Clemons plays for Campbell in the big city of Buies Creek*. He has been in the news all season.

* I used to work in tobacco fields during the summer in Buies Creek. That was a long, long time ago.

Troublemaker
03-02-2019, 09:25 AM
I knew about Daum (a 41% career 3-pt shooter on [obviously] high volume) and was hoping we'd pursue him as a grad transfer in the offseason, but Duke doesn't seem to like dipping into that market. Additionally, since Daum ended up returning to SDSU, he may have been a tough pull anyway.

NSDukeFan
03-02-2019, 12:12 PM
I knew about Daum (a 41% career 3-pt shooter on [obviously] high volume) and was hoping we'd pursue him as a grad transfer in the offseason, but Duke doesn't seem to like dipping into that market. Additionally, since Daum ended up returning to SDSU, he may have been a tough pull anyway.

Daum, he could have helped this team’s outside shooting.

devildeac
03-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Clemons went to the same high school about 2 miles from our house that all of our children attended, too. I *think* they're undefeated this season (don't follow as closely aw I used to) and we're the second highest scoring HS team in the nation about a month ago at >85 PPG (no typo). Their coach has a "Loyola Marymount" philosophy in practice and games as their goal to take the first good shot they see in 7 seconds or less. :eek:

jv001
03-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Chris Clemons plays for Campbell in the big city of Buies Creek*. He has been in the news all season.

* I used to work in tobacco fields during the summer in Buies Creek. That was a long, long time ago.

The Campbell Camels Golf team plays their home matches at Keith Hills Golf Course in Lillington, NC. My buddies and I used to play there once or twice a year. It's been years since I've played it. That's one tough golf course. I believe they have added another course since I played there. I'm pretty sure either course is too tough for my current golf game. GoDuke!

awhom111
03-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Clemons had 30 today so he is now up to 3136 and is likely to pass Doug McDermott in his next game with a chance at also jumping the legendary Alphonso Ford for 4th.

Daum had 20 so he is now 9th, but it may take him two games to move any further up the ranks.

Both of their teams clinched postseason berths as they would get NIT invites if they do not win their conference tournaments.

awhom111
03-07-2019, 11:59 PM
34 for Clemons so he is at 3170 and has passed Doug McDermott and Alphonso Ford. It will probably take two games to move up another rank though 3200 is achievable in the next game.

awhom111
03-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Clemons gets 23 points, but Campbell loses so he could have only one game left to play. For scoring purposes, it might actually be better for him to get multiple NIT games, but missing out on the conference championship is problematic. Second place all time behind Maravich may be tough now.

Now he gets a couple weeks off and we see if Daum can play three games.

elvis14
03-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Campbell is actually a really good place to watch a game. Their gym is small but very nice. Feels like there's not a bad seat in the whole place. My wife's step brother used to coach against Campbell (VMI) and I've gone there to watch a few games. He was also helped out by Coach K along the way but that's another story.

-jk
03-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Nice Daum (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/hes-a-top-10-scorer-in-ncaa-basketball-history--after-mom-cracked-down-on-fadeaways/2019/03/08/329efba2-3f89-11e9-922c-64d6b7840b82_story.html) story in the WaPost

-jk

awhom111
03-10-2019, 12:04 AM
The answer is that Daum could only play one conference tournament game. He sits at 3042 with the NIT waiting. 7th all time is within reach with one more good game, but anything higher than that seems unlikely.

At least we have one low major star in Morant in the tournament although I suppose Murray State is on the borderline of mid major.

awhom111
03-20-2019, 01:16 AM
Both careers came to an end.

Clemons moved up to 3rd with 3225 points and Daum moved up to 7th by a hair with 3067 points.

Daum would have had to play a lot more games to get higher than that, but it was sad that Clemons could not get one more game as he would have had a great shot at second place. Maravich's 3 year mark seems unattainable. Even in the women's game, where almost all players play 4 years, the best have come up short of his mark (and also Lynette Woodard's pre-NCAA mark).