PDA

View Full Version : The secret game...

SupaDave
02-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Hadn't seen it around in a while so on this last day of Black History month, I bequeath to you - the Secret Game.

Durham. Duke. NCCU. John McClendon. History.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-prj-secret-game-scott-ellsworth-20150319-story.html

budwom
02-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Which reminded me to a limited extent of another secret game which took place when I was at Duke...I noted a bunch of unusually tall young men walking in the vicinity of Cameron (then the Indoor Stadium) one day, turned out Jacksonville was in town for a quiet scrimmage with Duke...they featured Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows, two unusually tall chaps, who were pretty unknown at the time but not long thereafter made it to the NCAA Championship game where they lost (like everyone else) to UCLA...the scrimmage of course did not have the racial significance of the earlier secret game, but Duke was still an overwhelmingly white team back then.

sagegrouse
02-28-2019, 01:33 PM
As it turns out, the center on the Duke Med team, Dick Thistlethwaite, was my surgeon for a very serious operation in 1980. I guess I am Duke through-and-through, although less of me (thankfully) than before I met Dr. Thistle.

Kindly,
Sage
'Also, "minor surgery" is surgery performed on someone else'

Edouble
02-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Hadn't seen it around in a while so on this last day of Black History month, I bequeath to you - the Secret Game.

Durham. Duke. NCCU. John McClendon. History.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-prj-secret-game-scott-ellsworth-20150319-story.html

Are you terminal?

SupaDave
02-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Are you terminal?

Technically - we all are. :)

uh_no
02-28-2019, 02:00 PM

that's the big picture thinking i like.

DarkstarWahoo
02-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Reminds me of an actually funny Facebook meme I saw recently. I can't dig it up, but this is a rough transcript.

Woman: Help! Is there a doctor here?
Man: I'm a doctor! What's going on?
Woman: This man is having a heart attack!
Man: I'm a doctor of philosophy.
Woman: He is going to die.
Man: We are all going to die.

rhynelander
02-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Thanks for posting this, I've been meaning to read the book. Have heard it's incredible and this only reinforces that. Durham really has some incredible history!