PDA

View Full Version : Sad to hear that Carroll Youngkin former Duke star passed this month.

jv001
02-28-2019, 10:44 AM
I just learned that former Duke star, Carroll Youngkin passed away February 12, 2019 at his home in Virginia Beach, VA. He was 80 years old. Carroll played high school basketball at North Davidson High in North Carolina. He later was a star player at Duke University. Carroll helped lead Duke to it's first ACCT Championship in 1960. In the semi-final game against UNC he scored 30 points leading Duke to victory.

There will be a celebration of life for Carroll on March 10th at Holy Trinity Church at 1:00 PM in McLean, VA.
Carroll was preceded in death by his wife, Ellis. They were married for 58 years.
Donations made be made to the Max Crowder Athletic Endowment at Duke University.

Prayers for the family.
RIP Carroll Youngkin

heyman25
11-03-2021, 01:07 AM
He would be happy to hear his son was elected Governor of Virginia. Glenn worked with David Rubenstein Duke alum and major donor. Good tune Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky" introduction to his victory speech.

arnie
11-03-2021, 07:25 AM
He would be happy to hear his son was elected Governor of Virginia. Glenn worked with David Rubenstein Duke alum and major donor. Good tune Norman Greenbaum "Spirit in the Sky" introduction to his victory speech.

Thanks for the info; I didn’t know the two Youngkins were related.

CameronDuke
11-03-2021, 09:01 AM
I believe Glenn played men’s basketball collegiately at Rice University before earning an MBA from Harvard Business School. I think he’s about 6’7”. Was his Dad that tall, too?

Dopeshop
11-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Amazingly No
Not as tall as Glenn !
He was All ACC center at 6’ 6”( I think )

chrishoke
11-03-2021, 09:31 AM
Amazingly No
Not as tall as Glenn !

He averaged double digit rebounds for his career.

-jk
11-03-2021, 09:31 AM
No politics here, please!

-jk

Dopeshop
11-03-2021, 09:42 AM
A couple of teammates were taller :
Doug Kistler 6’9 and Fred Kast 6’ 7

Lord Ash
11-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Amazingly No
Not as tall as Glenn !

When people compare modern athletes to old-school athletes, the difference in physicality is just so jarring.

devilirium
11-03-2021, 08:44 PM
I believe Glenn played men’s basketball collegiately at Rice University before earning an MBA from Harvard Business School. I think he’s about 6’7”. Was his Dad that tall, too?

Glenn was indeed a tall lanky scorer in high school. I saw Glenn play at St. Christopher's in my junior year. He was considered to be one of the better players in the Prep League, and was a solid player for Norfolk Academy. Matt Mays and Jack Barber from Woodberry Forest were the other players that garnered a lot of attention. I remember all week that Coach Koenig had gameplanned to stop Youngkin. Very good high school player in a league that has since become quite competitive--not as much back then.

sagegrouse
11-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Glenn was indeed a tall lanky scorer in high school. I saw Glenn play at St. Christopher's in my junior year. He was considered to be one of the better players in the Prep League, and was a solid player for Norfolk Academy. Matt Mays and Jack Barber from Woodberry Forest were the other players that garnered a lot of attention. I remember all week that Coach Koenig had gameplanned to stop Youngkin. Very good high school player in a league that has since become quite competitive--not as much back then.

Glenn Youngkin played sparingly at Rice, scoring fewer than 100 points in his four-year career. He did, however, earn a BS in mechanical engineering at what is -- or used to be -- a very tough school.

Section 15
11-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Since this thread has been reactivated and now that the election is over, I wanted to say that Carroll Youngkin was my first sports hero. At age 9 (or 10?) I remember him ruling the lane for Hal Bradley's and later Bubas' teams in the late 50s and the magical 1960 season. I would come home after school and practice my "Carroll Youngkin" hook shot in the back yard for hours.

Yes, he was "only" 6'6", but he played much bigger than that. Physically, I remember him with a strong and well defined upper body, which no doubt allowed him to play with and often out-play taller opponents.

I think that Julio and Boswell must have had some relationship with the elder Youngkin, because I remember back in the early days (1990s) there was a reminiscence on the website by him about a trip to Morganton, WV, in the late 50s that was delayed by snowstorms. When the team finally got to the gym, they were greeted by a sign welcoming the Duke "Yellow" Devils. I wonder if that story could be reposted sometime.

Section 15

sagegrouse
11-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Yes, he was "only" 6'6", but he played much bigger than that. Physically, I remember him with a strong and well defined upper body, which no doubt allowed him to play with and often out-play taller opponents.

Section 15

The point on height is that in the 1950's and 60's there was a bit of a stigma on extreme height. I feel confident that Carroll was a full 6-6. A player today listed at that would be likely 6-4 1/2, if that, and a barefott 6-6 would merit a 6-8 on the roster.

1960's Duke big man Jay Buckley (PhD physics) entered as 6-11. The following year, freshman Hack Tison was listed at 7-0 in the mimeographed programs. By 1962-63 season, both were listed as 6-10. I honestly don't think they shrunk.

-jk
11-04-2021, 11:12 AM
The point on height is that in the 1950's and 60's there was a bit of a stigma on extreme height. I feel confident that Carroll was a full 6-6. A player today listed at that would be likely 6-4 1/2, if that, and a barefott 6-6 would merit a 6-8 on the roster.

1960's Duke big man Jay Buckley (PhD physics) entered as 6-11. The following year, freshman Hack Tison was listed at 7-0 in the mimeographed programs. By 1962-63 season, both were listed as 6-10. I honestly don't think they shrunk.

Who knows - I’ve been shrinking as I get older.

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
11-04-2021, 10:10 PM
A couple of teammates were taller :
Doug Kistler 6’9 and Fred Kast 6’ 7

Kistler was my HS coach.....we didn't have any players taller than 6-4 at the time....

dukelifer
11-05-2021, 08:53 AM

Come on- cinderblocks probably more accurate over time

DisplacedBlueDevil
03-17-2023, 05:51 PM
Sorry I missed this earlier. I've attached a copy of the results of the North Carolina Boys HS East-West All Star Game from 1949-1980. Carroll was Most Outstanding Player in 1956. Some pretty big names on the list, none bigger to me than the 1952 MOP!

RIP to Carroll and all of the other Blue Devils who are no longer with us, we will never forget you.