PDA

View Full Version : I need help!

22JumpShots
02-27-2019, 10:49 AM
I am getting savaged by the cheater fans at work today.... :( (If the mods think this thread is cluttering, please let me get a couple of responses before it gets deleted.)

I need some help with some factual ammo.

I have seen where the '57 championship may be in question as in 1961 ... the cheats were allegedly found guilty of violations by the NCAA? Any truth to this? Can anyone confirm or share the story/links? Would be huge help for a great cause! ;)

Fun fact - Butler also claims a National Championship from 1924 :) .... smh at the cheats for this banner. Makes me cringe.

freshmanjs
02-27-2019, 10:50 AM
I am getting savaged by the cheater fans at work today... :( (If the mods think this thread is cluttering, please let me get a couple of responses before it gets deleted.)

I have seen where the '57 championship may be in question as in 1961 ... the cheats were allegedly found guilty of violations by the NCAA? Any truth to this? Can anyone confirm or share the story/links? Would be huge help for a great cause! ;)

Fun fact - Butler also claims a National Championship from 1924 :) ... smh at the cheats for this banner. Makes me cringe.

My advice: Let them have their fun. Don't take the bait. When we have our day, just smile at them and say that UNC has a good team and you're very pleased that Duke beat them.

CDu
02-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Not worth it. Nothing you can say will change their tune. Just take it for now, ignore them. And then when we beat them in the Dean Dome, rub it in their faces. And then do the same when we beat them in the ACC tournament.

Or, just ignore them altogether. If it is bothering you that much, they are winning.

22JumpShots
02-27-2019, 10:59 AM
If it is bothering you that much, they are winning.

You guys are always right about these things. I just can't stand the cheats... always so high and mighty...

If anyone wants to share the '61 story that would be cool but if Mods need to delete or let thread slide .. no worries!

Hope you all have a better day than I am at work :)

devildeac
02-27-2019, 11:00 AM
I am getting savaged by the cheater fans at work today... :( (If the mods think this thread is cluttering, please let me get a couple of responses before it gets deleted.)

Fun fact - Butler also claims a National Championship from 1924 :) ... smh at the cheats for this banner. Makes me cringe.

Only school (ever?) to be found guilty of academic fraud and put on probation by SACS.

Not punished≠not guilty

CDu
02-27-2019, 11:07 AM
You guys are always right about these things. I just can't stand the cheats... always so high and mighty...

If anyone wants to share the '61 story that would be cool but if Mods need to delete or let thread slide .. no worries!

Hope you all have a better day than I am at work :)

I'm not sure what 1961 story you are looking for. They didn't win a title in 1961. They won the NCAA tournament in 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009, and 2017.

UrinalCake
02-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Tydreke Powell's radio call-in (in which he exposed Roy Williams and the AFAM scam) has mysteriously disappeared from the internets, but you can still read a summary here (https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/10/former-unc-football-player-paper-classes-scandal).

22JumpShots
02-27-2019, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what 1961 story you are looking for. They didn't win a title in 1961. They won the NCAA tournament in 1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009, and 2017.

That Image I posted ... says that '57 NC may be in question because in '61 they were found guilty of MAJOR violations by NCAA. I can't seem to find anything. Perhaps it isn't true, but I figured if anybody knew the details, it would be someone from here.

BLPOG
02-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Maybe he's just referring to info on why McGuire was dismissed? Part of it was the 1961 NCAA University Division men's basketball gambling scandal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_NCAA_University_Division_men%27s_basketball_g ambling_scandal).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Follow my model - stay quiet until we whoop em next. Usually I don't have to wait very long.

elvis14
02-27-2019, 11:27 AM
ON a related note (and something that the OP might find helpful), at one time there was a web page where you could search through old UNCheat emails and see directly the online discussions with those involved with the fake class scheme. Anyone know if that's still up and available and if so could you provide a link.

Jeffrey
02-27-2019, 11:27 AM
I am getting savaged by the cheater fans at work today... :(

That's great! The more excited they are now, the harder time they'll have when we win the National Championship.

22JumpShots
02-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Maybe he's just referring to info on why McGuire was dismissed? Part of it was the 1961 NCAA University Division men's basketball gambling scandal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_NCAA_University_Division_men%27s_basketball_g ambling_scandal).

BOOM! THANK YOU FOR THE KNOWLEDGE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McGuire --

"In 1961, UNC was found guilty of major NCAA violations. Combined with rumors of point shaving by some UNC players, this led Chancellor William Aycock to force McGuire's resignation after the season. At McGuire's suggestion, Aycock named McGuire's top assistant, Dean Smith, as the new coach.[5]"

Once cheaters, always cheaters....

sagegrouse
02-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Some good advice above.

My only offering is WRT 1924 and UNC mythical championship. I was in Los Angeles recently and happened to drive by the Helms Bakery Building on Venice Blvd. near the boundary between LA and Culver City. Holy moly! It is an extensive building and apparently is occupied today by smaller businesses. The Helms Bakery operated from 1931 to 1969. The Helms' crowning of "national champions" was done much later than the season in question. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helms_Athletic_Foundation#Football)

arnie
02-27-2019, 11:44 AM

Your best approach will be change jobs and only work for a company that doesn’t hire Cheats. Or if you’re in charge, simply terminate em all.

Of course if you’re working at McDonalds, I guess you’re stuck with type co-worker.

weezie
02-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Your only recourse is to "Offer it up for the souls in Purgatory," and remember that, "It takes pain to be beautiful."
Let's see if they are mewling and chest bumping on April 9.

Mom is always right.

Jeffrey
02-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Of course if you’re working at McDonalds, I guess you’re stuck with type co-worker.

Geez, how did McDonalds make you so angry at them?

left_hook_lacey
02-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Geez, how did McDonalds make you so angry at them?

Many McDonald's employees graduated from Hamburger U. UNC was their safety school. :cool:

Jeffrey
02-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Many McDonald's employees graduated from Hamburger U.

That's prudent. Hamburger U has a good Ethics Department.

UNC was their safety school.

Well, um.... Hamburger U has a good Ethics Department.

22JumpShots
02-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Some good advice above.

Truth. Thanks all! GO DUKE!

Also adding to your fun-fact - 1924 (also claimed by Butler) .. was RETRO-ACTIVE with the awarding of it. "and was retroactively awarded a 'national championship' by the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1943 and later by the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.[2][20] "

and then this ..

Helms Athletic Foundation was based in Los Angeles, California. The name was a misnomer, as there actually was no foundation in place to sustain the operation. Instead the organization was subsidized completely by the Paul Helms Bakery operations.[1]

TruBlu
02-27-2019, 12:12 PM
My technique when I lived in Durham and had to put up with obnoxious heels was silence, both after a loss and after a victory.

The silence toward them after a Duke loss was accompanied with a little return smile, to let them know that it didn't bother me.

The silence after a Duke victory was especially sweet, because the heel fans just knew that I was going to give them hell, so they avoided me for weeks*. Win, win.

*This may not work so well with you, since you have to work with them, but any kind of separation you can get from those pompous (for no apparent reason) cheater fans is worth it.

DukieInKansas
02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
Truth. Thanks all! GO DUKE!

Also adding to your fun-fact - 1924 (also claimed by Butler) .. was RETRO-ACTIVE with the awarding of it. "and was retroactively awarded a 'national championship' by the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1943 and later by the Premo-Porretta Power Poll.[2][20] "

and then this ..

Helms Athletic Foundation was based in Los Angeles, California. The name was a misnomer, as there actually was no foundation in place to sustain the operation. Instead the organization was subsidized completely by the Paul Helms Bakery operations.[1]

What do we know about Paul Helms? Where did he go to school?

wobatus
02-27-2019, 01:08 PM

https://www.greensboro.com/fights-scandals-erupt-in-dark-age/article_a0a27877-3e16-5ca2-ac83-8a1fcf61f51d.html

This article goes into a lot of ACC history. The probation for UNC was due to illegally entertaining recruits, etc. Dean Smith actually helped prepare UNC's defense, with receipts, etc, IIRC.

UNC was also implicated in the 1961 point shaving scandal s others have noted. Lou Brown, no relation to Larry, took $4500 to fix games, but not UNC games supposedly. Doug Moe got $75. This scandal also led to the end of the Dixie Classic. All before my time. When I was a young'un it was The Big Four Tournament where the 4 NC schools in the ACC played 2 games against each other that didn't count as conference games, so you might face a team 4 times a year including ACC tournament.

In any event, I have never heard that the 1961 probation or point-shaving scandal threatened the 1957 title. One time I was having dinner at a restaurant on Cape Cod. I struck up a conversation with another patron, older, who had gone to UNC. He as in the textile biz. I had imagined he was a basketball fan. He complained about the problems of academic integrity with university sports teams. This would have been late '90s. I said yeah, it's becoming a problem. He said, no, he was talking about the '50s, that the players back then didn't go to class, etc., and he'd reported it.

devildeac
02-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Your best approach will be change jobs and only work for a company that doesn’t hire Cheats. Or if you’re in charge, simply terminate em all.

You now qualify for your free fries. ;)