PDA

View Full Version : Players Who Averaged >20 Points, >7 Rebounds and >4 Assists In A Season

DukeTrinity11
02-26-2019, 12:46 PM
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1993&year_max=2019&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=23&c2stat=trb_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=7&c3stat=ast_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=4&c4stat=g&c4comp=gt&c4val=25&order_by=player

There's only 4 players who fit this criteria and only 1 ever in a major conference: RJ Barrett.

RJ is having a truly historic season by counting stats comparable to any great college basketball player ever and it feels like he's being lost in the shuffle of the Zion mania.

First world problems I know!! :cool:

AGDukesky
02-26-2019, 12:56 PM
That is only from 1992 though or did I read that wrong? I’m pretty sure guys like Oscar Robertson and Art Heyman did it. Bill Walton I would guess too.

UrinalCake
02-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Another insane stat, courtesy of DukeMBBStats on Twitter:

Most points vs. AP top 10 teams this season (min. 4 games):

27.1 | RJ Barrett (Fr.), Duke
19.5 | Keldon Johnson (Fr.), UK
18.0 | Zion Williamson (Fr.), Duke
17.8 | Reid Travis (Sr.), UK
17.6 | Jordan Nwora (So.), Louisville
17.2 | Kyle Guy (Jr.), Virginia

AGDukesky
02-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Another insane stat, courtesy of DukeMBBStats on Twitter:

Most points vs. AP top 10 teams this season (min. 4 games):

27.1 | RJ Barrett (Fr.), Duke
19.5 | Keldon Johnson (Fr.), UK
18.0 | Zion Williamson (Fr.), Duke
17.8 | Reid Travis (Sr.), UK
17.6 | Jordan Nwora (So.), Louisville
17.2 | Kyle Guy (Jr.), Virginia

Of course Zion’s numbers should be much higher since he is credited with 0 against UNC...

kako
02-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Barrett is the man. I love Zion and, like the rest of the basketball world, am amazed at what he does. His sheer power is truly awesome. But I actually like Barrett more. Sure, it's like preferring a McLaran over a Lamborghini... so I know I'm splitting hairs (and I believe anyone who prefers Zion is doing so as well). But to me, Barrett gets tough buckets when they are needed. He does so better than any freshman I've seen in a long time (Stones Jones was up there, but not as good as Barrett), and maybe better than any Blue Devil not named Laettner. His ability to get shots off in traffic with guys draped all over him is so good. Off the glass, nothing but net, lay ups, drives, o-rebound putbacks, pull-ups, dunks, extensions, tip-ins, whatever. The ball just goes in. Plus, his outside shooting seems to be improving, now hitting 33%. Not great, but not terrible. Hopefully it's on an upwards trajectory. Loved the Syracuse game pass fake to AOC in the corner, which freed him up for the open 3 during the run that won the game for Duke.

I love his attitude. I defended him on these boards after the Gonzaga game when some were dogging him for not passing. Because I love guys that aren't just unafraid to take the shot in crunch time, but want to take the shot in crunch time. To me, Laettner, Spanarkel and JWill were some of those guys. From what I've read and seen on tape, Heyman was, too. Win or lose, I'll stand by Barrett this year 100%.

9F

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2019, 02:39 PM
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1993&year_max=2019&class_is_fr=Y&class_is_so=Y&class_is_jr=Y&class_is_sr=Y&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&games_type=A&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=23&c2stat=trb_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=7&c3stat=ast_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=4&c4stat=g&c4comp=gt&c4val=25&order_by=player

There's only 4 players who fit this criteria and only 1 ever in a major conference: RJ Barrett.

According to your link, there are only 3 players who did it.

pfrduke
02-26-2019, 03:47 PM

RJ is having a truly historic season by counting stats comparable to any great college basketball player ever and it feels like he's being lost in the shuffle of the Zion mania.

Your search appears to have limited PPG to 23+. If you expand it to 20+ as the thread title suggests, you get to 14 players who did it over the course of a full season (Barrett would be 15 if he sustains), including players like Bob Sura, Evan Turner, Luke Jackson, and Bonzi Wells.

bullettoothtony
02-26-2019, 04:08 PM
We have the two best players in college basketball. No team has had that since, well, us in '01 (Battier and Williams).

CDu
02-26-2019, 04:17 PM
We have the two best players in college basketball. No team has had that since, well, us in '01 (Battier and Williams).

Well, and 2010 (Cousins and Wall). And 2012 (Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist).

BeachBlueDevil
02-26-2019, 04:18 PM
.... I'll say it again. I feel like RJ's pro career projects slightly better than Zion's. I think Zion will be a force in the league but I think RJ almost projects as a James Harden type down the road on the offensive end and unlike Harden, he'll be good on the defensive end.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Not first world.....OTHER-worldly problems.....:cool:

flyingdutchdevil
02-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Barrett is the man. I love Zion and, like the rest of the basketball world, am amazed at what he does. His sheer power is truly awesome. But I actually like Barrett more. Sure, it's like preferring a McLaran over a Lamborghini... so I know I'm splitting hairs (and I believe anyone who prefers Zion is doing so as well). But to me, Barrett gets tough buckets when they are needed. He does so better than any freshman I've seen in a long time (Stones Jones was up there, but not as good as Barrett), and maybe better than any Blue Devil not named Laettner. His ability to get shots off in traffic with guys draped all over him is so good. Off the glass, nothing but net, lay ups, drives, o-rebound putbacks, pull-ups, dunks, extensions, tip-ins, whatever. The ball just goes in. Plus, his outside shooting seems to be improving, now hitting 33%. Not great, but not terrible. Hopefully it's on an upwards trajectory. Loved the Syracuse game pass fake to AOC in the corner, which freed him up for the open 3 during the run that won the game for Duke.

I love his attitude. I defended him on these boards after the Gonzaga game when some were dogging him for not passing. Because I love guys that aren't just unafraid to take the shot in crunch time, but want to take the shot in crunch time. To me, Laettner, Spanarkel and JWill were some of those guys. From what I've read and seen on tape, Heyman was, too. Win or lose, I'll stand by Barrett this year 100%.

9F

In any other year, Barrett gets the most exposure and props. He's a dynamite player and an incredible scorer.

But because we have the most exciting college basketball player since......drawing blank.....Barrett doesn't get the exposure he deserves.

Not complaining, just stating it as I see it.

bullettoothtony
02-26-2019, 04:45 PM
Well, and 2010 (Cousins and Wall). And 2012 (Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist).

Cousins was second team all-American. And neither of those guys were player of the year.

Kidd-Gilchrist was also second-team all-american.

Sorry but neither of those teams had the two best players, irrespective of where they were drafted.

CDu
02-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Cousins was second team all-American. And neither of those guys were player of the year.

Kidd-Gilchrist was also second-team all-american.

Sorry but neither of those teams had the two best players, irrespective of where they were drafted.

Agree to disagree. That voters are/were dumb doesn't change player value.

bullettoothtony
02-26-2019, 04:55 PM
^ Good point.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2019, 04:59 PM

9F

I love RJ.......and you make some of the points why I love him above. He is a little Laettner-esque - and in my book, that's an awesome thing to be.
That said, Zion by a mile......we've never seen anything like him.

slower
02-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Your search appears to have limited PPG to 23+. If you expand it to 20+ as the thread title suggests, you get to 14 players who did it over the course of a full season (Barrett would be 15 if he sustains), including players like Bob Sura, Evan Turner, Luke Jackson, and Bonzi Wells.

Keeping the original parameters, though, there aren't as many as I thought. Going back in time, you have very few (in my limited searching) who qualify:

The Obvious:

Oscar
Jerry West

The Less Obvious:

Mark Aguirre

Probably Obvious (despite no assist records)

David Thompson (I'm assuming he had enough assists)
Austin Carr (I'm assuming he had enough assists - had forgotten what a scoring machine he was)

Walton - nope

I'm sure there are more, but those were the high-profile guys I thought of. Others missed the cut, usually because of assists (Danny Manning, Wayman Tisdale, etc). Hersey Hawkins got close.

Then I got tired and stopped. Still, RJ is having a hell of a year. Will he be a better pro than Zion? Doubtful.

CDu
02-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Keeping the original parameters, though, there aren't as many as I thought. Going back in time, you have very few (in my limited searching) who qualify:

The Obvious:

Oscar
Jerry West

The Less Obvious:

Mark Aguirre

Probably Obvious (despite no assist records)

David Thompson (I'm assuming he had enough assists)
Austin Carr (I'm assuming he had enough assists - had forgotten what a scoring machine he was)

Walton - nope

I'm sure there are more, but those were the high-profile guys I thought of. Others missed the cut, usually because of assists (Danny Manning, Wayman Tisdale, etc). Hersey Hawkins got close.

Then I got tired and stopped. Still, RJ is having a hell of a year. Will he be a better pro than Zion? Doubtful.

Maravich did it once too.

slower
02-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Maravich did it once too.

Wow. I didn't think he would get that many rebounds.

And I actually meant to type Evan Turner - just forgot. He seemed like one of the obvious choices. Oops, wait - Turner didn't meet the 23 PPG threshold, so there you go.

jv001
02-26-2019, 06:17 PM
In any other year, Barrett gets the most exposure and props. He's a dynamite player and an incredible scorer.

But because we have the most exciting college basketball player since...drawing blank...Barrett doesn't get the exposure he deserves.
ea
Not complaining, just stating it as I see it.

I agree with your entire post. What's a joy, is to see how well this entire team get's along. The freshmen aren't jealous and give kudos to their teammates. The Captains are more about the team than personal success. Marques is finally healthy and has smiled more this year than the other two years combined. I thought last years team was special and it was, but this team is more than just special. I will hate to see this season end. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2019, 06:51 PM
I agree with your entire post. What's a joy, is to see how well this entire team get's along. The freshmen aren't jealous and give kudos to their teammates. The Captains are more about the team than personal success. Marques is finally healthy and has smiled more this year than the other two years combined. I thought last years team was special and it was, but this team is more than just special. I will hate to see this season end. GoDuke!

I have more respect than I can describe for RJ and Zion, how they've handled all this, how they get along...how they lead. I mean, the whole team seems to really like each other, and I've heard K talk more about "good chemistry" this year than I can remember...so shout out to all of them....but I think Zion is a special force of nature and personality, and RJ is a stone badazz mentally to handle all of Zion's attention this well - and it's just magical to observe.