PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Syracuse (Feb 23, 2019)

JBDuke
02-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in tonight's win over Syracuse?

duke4ever19
02-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Rowan Alexander Barrett Jr.

Devilwin
02-23-2019, 08:24 PM
AOC..Someone had to step up, and he did..

JBDuke
02-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Pretty clearly RJ, in my opinion. Alex certainly stepped up as the second banana we needed, but RJ was the man, and carried us for a long while tonight. Honorable mention to Javin and Marques. The former played hard all game, and had lots of positives tonight, and fewer negatives. The latter came off the bench and really made a difference with his rebounding down the stretch.

DU82
02-23-2019, 08:27 PM
I voted for RJ, but AOC was close. And don’t forget about Javin Bolden, who had 9 points, 3 blocks and 15 big rebounds.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 08:29 PM
I voted for RJ, but AOC was close. And don’t forget about Javin Bolden, who had 9 points, 3 blocks and 15 big rebounds.

My heart was with AOC, but my head with RJ, gave it to RJ. Totally digging AOC getting some votes though.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2019, 08:29 PM
AOC! Someone had to start making shots, other than RJ, and it was AOC. We don't win without his second have shooting.

Now that Joey Baker will play, we need him to get into the flow of the games. And I predict that Jack White will regain his touch and make more three's this season.

timmy c
02-23-2019, 08:31 PM
RJ is so good. But my vote goes to the coaching staff for sliding true into the middle of the zone to start the second half. Those couple possessions changed the momentum of the game.

wavedukefan70s
02-23-2019, 08:32 PM
I gave it to Baker for giving up his redshirt .

ncexnyc
02-23-2019, 08:32 PM
I was wondering why that new kid RJ O'Connell wasn't listed as a choice.

mph
02-23-2019, 08:36 PM
I've got RJ, AOC, and Bolden in that order. Bolden's play down the stretch really helped us close out the game. Alex's shooting was critical in the 2nd half. But RJ was the man all game long. Superb effort.

weezie
02-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Coach K played that game like a Stradivarius.

Every stop was pulled. Roller coaster, emotions high, some players struggling, some getting their bearings. And even Zion on the sidelines, knowing his every facial expression is monitored, when he finally began to enjoy the game with his brothers, well, THAT was quite an evening.

RJ, the engine. AOC the piston tonight.

Tooold
02-23-2019, 08:41 PM
I voted for AOC because his shooting turned our offense around. But RJ, once again, was really the glue of the team. Also thought Bolden was critical.

thedukelamere
02-23-2019, 08:43 PM
I've got RJ, AOC, and Bolden in that order. Bolden's play down the stretch really helped us close out the game. Alex's shooting was critical in the 2nd half. But RJ was the man all game long. Superb effort.

Same, but I had Jav/Ques tied for the 3rd star of the game. Jav for playing solid D without fouling(?!?) for the first 25 or so minutes and Ques for the huge rebounding to close them out.

curtis325
02-23-2019, 08:46 PM
I gave it to Baker for giving up his redshirt .

Duke is undefeated when Baker plays. He got my vote too.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 09:02 PM
Duke is undefeated when Baker plays. He got my vote too.

Moreover, Duke has shot threes well in every game he's played ...:D

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 09:03 PM
I was wondering why that new kid RJ O'Connell wasn't listed as a choice.

That's a GREAT choice.....

proelitedota
02-23-2019, 10:05 PM
One of these RJ or AOC

ehdg
02-23-2019, 10:14 PM
I went for AOC because he performed so much better then usual. RJ also played great but does this pretty much every game he plays. For Alex it was his first game he’s impacted this year.

elvis14
02-23-2019, 10:53 PM
RJ was clearly the MOTM.

Really glad to welcome AOC to the 2018-2019 basketball season.

jipops
02-23-2019, 10:55 PM
AOC was great. But it seems weird to vote for the 2nd best player in the game as man of the match...because he was the 2nd best player.

kako
02-23-2019, 11:02 PM
I wanted to vote for AOC, I really did. 3's are what this team could really use, and today he provided it. A tip of the hat to Bolden as well, as his rebounding down the stretch was also key.

But there's no denying Barrett was the MOTM. He just gets buckets, which were at a premium until late in the game, for a game high 30. And he led the team in assists as well.

9F

westwall
02-23-2019, 11:11 PM
RJ did what RJ does, and was the best player tonight. But Alex the one who stepped UP the most, and was crucial to the victory as a result. I think that makes him the MOTM.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2019, 11:58 PM
Just voted in the main board MOTM poll. Voted for AOC there, too. It's a bit closer there than here, 296-295. :cool:

DukieInBrasil
02-24-2019, 09:15 AM
We don't win without RJ. We don't without AOC. I went with AOC b/c his 3s were all super timely. 2 gave us leads and 3 of them gave us more than a 1-possession lead.
RJ had a brilliant game. He missed a couple of pretty poorly thought out shots early, but he didn't miss much after that. It was a total sham that he only took 1 FT all night, considering all of the contact that he took getting shots in the lane. He seemed to make a lot of what otherwise looked to be bad shots, but he apparently has the strength and body control to put the ball up with enough touch to coax them thru the hoop. Great game.

YmoBeThere
02-24-2019, 09:29 AM
And don’t forget about Javin Bolden, who had 9 points, 3 blocks and 15 big rebounds.

I thought it was Marques DeLaurier?

dukelifer
02-24-2019, 09:41 AM
I picked AOC. We knew/expected we would get a good performance by Barrett. The kid is a rock and plays like an upperclassman. But AOC was critical to the second half surge. Duke does not win this game if another player does not step up and AOC did. The kid earned his scholarship last night. The hope is that he can continue to make threes.

Phredd3
02-24-2019, 10:11 AM
I was torn between RJ and AOC. My first thought was that AOC's game was exactly the game we needed at the precise moment we needed it, while you could argue RJ was just being RJ. Except on closer look, that's not really true. RJ was being better than RJ usually is (which is already really, really good). RJ in this game was very controlled and efficient in a game where we knew we would have limited possessions and would need to be more efficient than usual. He had the most assists on the team, a smattering of rebounds, a couple important blocks and missed very few shot attempts despite significant contact. It reminded me of his performance in the first Virginia game. Oh, and he played every single minute.

So RJ also had exactly the game we needed at the precise moment we needed it, so as much as my initial reaction was to throw it to AOC, RJ absolutely compels me to vote for him.

WVDUKEFAN
02-24-2019, 12:02 PM
I’m the lone guy voted for Jav. Definitely not the most spectacular stats, but that double put back was great. I thought he played pretty good defense as well. I think he played hard and showed a lot of heart.