PDA

View Full Version : Coach Boeheim hits, kills man on interstate

Philsfan
02-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Wow, tough news.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/02/syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim-hits-kills-man-walking-on-i-690.html

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Wow, tough news.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/02/syracuse-coach-jim-boeheim-hits-kills-man-walking-on-i-690.html

AYFKM???????

Duke @ Cuse will be the Perspective Depression Bowl

Matches
02-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Man, lately it feels like we're on Season 7 of The Human Experience and the writers are having to come up with more and more outrageous stuff to keep it interesting...

Horrible news. Sounds like an absolute tragedy.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Maybe they should just cancel this game.....karma is awful times 1000.

superdave
02-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Prayers for that family. What an awful accident.

UrinalCake
02-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Terrible situation, goes way beyond basketball.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Terrible situation, goes way beyond basketball.

Boeheim seems like a good dude.....this is no doubt eating him up. K's a great friend who will feel for his buddy. And the family...God bless them. What a night.

DukieInKansas
02-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Prayers for everyone. What a horrible accident.

dukelifer
02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Wow, tough news.

Wow. No matter who is at fault here- this is a tough situation to deal with.

ChillinDuke
02-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Whoops! I totally missed this thread when I scanned through. Mods, please delete mine.

- Chillin

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Whoops! I totally missed this thread when I scanned through. Mods, please delete mine.

- Chillin

It appears yours was first

jv001
02-21-2019, 11:06 AM
It appears yours was first

Chillin's was an hour after Philsfan. GoDuke!

ChillinDuke
02-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Chillin's was an hour after Philsfan. GoDuke!

But who's counting? ;)

- Chillin

gam7
02-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Boeheim seems like a good dude....this is no doubt eating him up. K's a great friend who will feel for his buddy. And the family...God bless them. What a night.

Terrible for that to happen to anybody, but you think Boeheim seems like a good dude? I may have seen evidence of that only once or twice during his entire tenure at Syracuse...

golfinesquire
02-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Terrible for that to happen to anybody, but you think Boeheim seems like a good dude? I may have seen evidence of that only once or twice during his entire tenure at Syracuse...

Perhaps we could not go there. This is a tragedy and debating Boeheim's personality flaws right now seems a tad insensitive.

gam7
02-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Perhaps we could not go there. This is a tragedy and debating Boeheim's personality flaws right now seems a tad insensitive.

Fair enough.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 12:09 PM

My evidence? He's one of K's dearest friends.. K gets hated because of the very limited and narrow perceptions of him on TV. Maybe you should consider that when hating on Jimmy B. They know each other very very well and like each other a lot. I'll go with that as significant evidence.

Dukehk
02-21-2019, 12:10 PM
This puts Duke's problems firmly in the shade.

I feel for the victim but also know that Boeheim is a good man and have no doubt that this was a complete accident and tragedy.

It just makes Saturday all the more bizarre and depressing.

ndkjr70
02-21-2019, 12:16 PM
My heart breaks for the victim's family and the Boeheim family.

My grandfather pulled out of a restaurant onto a poorly lit road a few years ago. An 18 year old was riding his motorcycle at close to 80 miles an hour and incredibly inebriated. My grandpa thought his car got hit by a missile, he literally never saw him. The kid died on scene. My grandpa feels guilt every day for that accident even though it was clearly not his fault.

This kind of stuff never leaves you. I can't believe there are people discussing whether or not they like Boeheim in this thread. This is DBR, I thought the standard was set higher than that.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Terrible tragedy. Agreed that discussing Jim's likeability on this thread is a bit disgusting.

He is a friend of K's, and I feel for anyone dealing with something like this.

golfinesquire
02-21-2019, 12:22 PM
gam7 said "fair enough" when I suggested we not discuss Boeheim's character right now. He took the necessary steps to end that part of the conversation. Can everyone else just chill!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 12:25 PM
gam7 said "fair enough" when I suggested we not discuss Boeheim's character right now. He took the necessary steps to end that part of the conversation. Can everyone else just chill!

Perhaps you, realizing that comments often cross in the ether.....especially with many posters, as is the case today on every thread.

devildeac
02-21-2019, 12:58 PM
What can he be charged with here, if anything? Involuntary manslaughter? Death by motor vehicle?

Inquiring, not condemning.

This is so sad. We had a 27 year old nephew killed in a similar manner several years ago.

weezie
02-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Geez dd I am sorry for that loss.

cruxer
02-21-2019, 01:10 PM
What can he be charged with here, if anything? Involuntary manslaughter? Death by motor vehicle?

This is so sad. We had a 27 year old nephew killed in a similar manner several years ago.

From what I read I doubt anything gets charged. Sometimes an accident is just that. It was late and icy. Boeheim saw the car and tried to avoid it, but didn't see the person. That's a bit understandable, even if he was driving reasonably for conditions, since one doesn't expect to see a person on an interstate.

-c

PackMan97
02-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Speed was not cited as a factor in the accident. Field sobriety tests were given at the scene and were negative. He did not hit and run and remained at the scene. I would not speculate beyond what is public information at this point.

As a public service reminder, in almost all cases it is safer to remain safely buckled in your car after an accident than getting out and remaining in close proximity to your car.

gam7
02-21-2019, 01:46 PM

From what I read I doubt anything gets charged. Sometimes an accident is just that. It was late and icy. Boeheim saw the car and tried to avoid it, but didn't see the person. That's a bit understandable, even if he was driving reasonably for conditions, since one doesn't expect to see a person on an interstate.

-c

I agree with cruxer that it doesn't sound like there will be any charges based on what's been publicly reported so far.

The criminal law (including what they call different types of crimes) varies from state to state. I am not a criminal lawyer, am not licensed to practice law in NY, and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Murder will be completely off the table because it is seems clear there was no intent to kill.

The New York Penal Code categorizes manslaughter as either "manslaughter in the first degree" or "manslaughter in the second degree."

Manslaughter in the first degree would be charged if a person intended to cause serious physical injury to another person, and that injury then resulted in their death. There is no evidence that Boeheim intended to cause any injury at all to this person. So, he likely won't be charged with manslaughter in the first degree.

Manslaughter in the second degree basically means what most other states call "involuntary manslaughter." In NY, this occurs when a person recklessly causes the death of another person. A person acts "recklessly" with respect to a result or circumstance when the person is "aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists." The risk that the person creates must be of such nature or magnitude that his or her disregard of it constitutes a "gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

I've seen similar reporting that cruxer saw, and those facts suggest that Boeheim was not acting recklessly. I also saw that he apparently was given a breathalizer and had no alcohol in his system at all. (New York does not have a formal vehicular manslaughter crime, but if he had been drunk, he would be charged with manslaughter in the second degree.)

But there are still facts that are unknown - like how fast he was driving. If he was driving on those icy roads late at night at 100 mph and talking on a handheld cell phone while blindfolded, that might be considered reckless (though I am not familiar with NY case law on what is/isn't considered reckless).

But based on what's been reported, I see no crime that he would be charged with.

Acymetric
02-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Speed was not cited as a factor in the accident. Field sobriety tests were given at the scene and were negative. He did not hit and run and remained at the scene. I would not speculate beyond what is public information at this point.

As a public service reminder, in almost all cases it is safer to remain safely buckled in your car after an accident than getting out and remaining in close proximity to your car.

Just to be clear, speed was not cited as a factor because according to the police they haven't determined the speed yet. That said, agree with gam7 above that it seems highly unlikely he would be charged with a crime given the circumstances (icy, dark, car in the road). If it turns out he were speeding, maybe they bring charges due to recklessness but I would be willing to bet those charges don't stick in court given the extenuating circumstances.

gam7
02-21-2019, 01:49 PM

The father of a high school friend did exactly that and the car was hit and he was killed. But as a general rule, you might be right...

CDu
02-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Ugh, that is awful news. Can't imagine what all involved are going through. Hope I never have to.

devildeac
02-21-2019, 01:53 PM
I agree with cruxer that it doesn't sound like there will be any charges based on what's been publicly reported so far.

The criminal law (including what they call different types of crimes) varies from state to state. I am not a criminal lawyer, am not licensed to practice law in NY, and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Murder will be completely off the table because it is seems clear there was no intent to kill.

The New York Penal Code categorizes manslaughter as either "manslaughter in the first degree" or "manslaughter in the second degree."

Manslaughter in the first degree would be charged if a person intended to cause serious physical injury to another person, and that injury then resulted in their death. There is no evidence that Boeheim intended to cause any injury at all to this person. So, he likely won't be charged with manslaughter in the first degree.

Manslaughter in the second degree basically means what most other states call "involuntary manslaughter." In NY, this occurs when a person recklessly causes the death of another person. A person acts "recklessly" with respect to a result or circumstance when the person is "aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists." The risk that the person creates must be of such nature or magnitude that his or her disregard of it constitutes a "gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."

I've seen similar reporting that cruxer saw, and those facts suggest that Boeheim was not acting recklessly. I also saw that he apparently was given a breathalizer and had no alcohol in his system at all. (New York does not have a formal vehicular manslaughter crime, but if he had been drunk, he would be charged with manslaughter in the second degree.)

But there are still facts that are unknown - like how fast he was driving. If he was driving on those icy roads late at night at 100 mph and talking on a handheld cell phone while blindfolded, that might be considered reckless (though I am not familiar with NY case law on what is/isn't considered reckless).

But based on what's been reported, I see no crime that he would be charged with.

Encouraging/educational to read. Thanks for explaining.

golfinesquire
02-21-2019, 02:10 PM
There are actually a few more levels of homicide in NYS, including some Vehicular Homicide statutes and criminally negligent homicide. But they all require either some level of intent or some level or criminal carelessness. From the sound of things, this was just really bad luck for everyone involved. According to the police Boeheim was not drunk and was not speeding and was trying to avoid a car stopped in the lane. We don't criminalize accidents, even those with tragic results, and for good reason. It is hard to modify accidental behavior and we don't want to be in the business of punishing people for showing basic human limitations.

PackMan97
02-21-2019, 02:31 PM
The father of a high school friend did exactly that and the car was hit and he was killed. But as a general rule, you might be right...

and as a general rule, it's safer to wear a seat belt but there are a few cases where getting thrown from the vehicle has saved someones life because they weren't wearing a seat belt. To be honest, I would have trouble staying in my car after a single car accident on the interstate.

I would definitely say that if you get out of the car, get the heck away from the road. You shouldn't be on the shoulder, or in the median. By all accounts, this person was still on the road and not say, up near the tree line.

duke79
02-21-2019, 03:07 PM
and as a general rule, it's safer to wear a seat belt but there are a few cases where getting thrown from the vehicle has saved someones life because they weren't wearing a seat belt. To be honest, I would have trouble staying in my car after a single car accident on the interstate.

I would definitely say that if you get out of the car, get the heck away from the road. You shouldn't be on the shoulder, or in the median. By all accounts, this person was still on the road and not say, up near the tree line.

IMHO, this is the best advice if your car breaks down on the highway (or you get a flat tire or are in an accident, etc.). Pull the car as far off the highway as possible (in the breakdown lane, if there is one); get out of the car and get as far from the road as possible and wait for the police or other help to arrive. Don't try to change a tire yourself with traffic speeding by at 70 MPH (or faster). Quite a few people (including police) are killed that way.

From the initial reports of this particular accident, it sounds like it was just bad luck (and a tragedy) on a dark, snowy night. I feel badly for everyone involved.

DevilYouKnow
02-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Well, this certainly casts our loss to UNC as a silly little disappointment.

This is going to be a really emotional game on Saturday.

My heart goes out to the victim, his family, Jim Boeheim and his family.

flyingdutchdevil
02-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Well, this certainly casts our loss to UNC as a silly little disappointment.

This is going to be a really emotional game on Saturday.

My heart goes out to the victim, his family, Jim Boeheim and his family.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he coached on Saturday.

This is #@%&ing basketball. Who cares compared to this tragedy.

Fish80
02-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Even if he doesn’t Coach, it will still be an emotional game.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 07:46 PM

I don't know that him coaching Saturday is a sign of disrespect....I would imagine there will be moment of silence in the arena for the victim. Boeheim here appears to be a bit of a victim as well, though certainly not like the other man. It appears he was trying to avoid a car in the middle of the road in icy conditions, at night. Police said he did exactly what he was supposed to do, including trying to flag down other motorists to help.

On the other hand, I fully understand if he doesn't coach. No good answers, but no wrong answer.

wavedukefan70s
02-21-2019, 07:59 PM

I would wager he does coach.its a few days apart.

Bluedog
02-21-2019, 08:14 PM

When Venus Williams went through something similar (killed somebody in a car accident), she played in the US Open immediately thereafter. I don't think it's necessarily disrespectful. I agree with you that somebody's life is more important though, but not coaching won't change what happened.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-21-2019, 09:11 PM
I once was in a situation somewhat like this. 2 am the Saturday of Halloween. I was 100% sober. Bad weather so I was doing 35 in a 55 zone. I came over a hill and there was a car in the middle of the road that had been in an accident. I tried to brake but still hit him, though very softly. Fortunately he had wisely gotten out and run to the shoulder - I guess he couldn’t move the car. Fortunately no one was hurt. Police showed up and gave me a ticket for driving too fast for the weather conditions (not true) and failed to breathalyze me despite me being a guy in his early 20s at 2 am on Halloween. Despite not hurting anyone I was very shaken up about what could have happened.

Long story short, if you have an accident do anything you can to get the car off the road. If that is not possible, get yourself far off the road.

Thoughts and prayers to the victim, their family and Coach Boeheim.

Rich
02-21-2019, 09:32 PM
ESPN College Gameday, scheduled for Syracuse this Saturday, has been canceled.

JasonEvans
02-22-2019, 07:15 AM
A very controversial and speculative post (as well as the replies) have been deleted and infractions have been issued. Feel free to continue the conversation.

Philsfan
02-22-2019, 10:26 AM
The news just hurts my heart.

I was involved in a similar situation in '08 where I hit a man standing in a dark roadway (around 10 at night, no nearby streetlights, he was wearing dark clothes). I stopped, called 911, did everything right after the fact, the investigators told me.

Unfortunately, nothing could be done and the man later died at shock trauma. My prayers go out to this man's family as well as Coach Boeheim.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-22-2019, 10:34 AM
The news just hurts my heart.

I was involved in a similar situation in '08 where I hit a man standing in a dark roadway (around 10 at night, no nearby streetlights, he was wearing dark clothes). I stopped, called 911, did everything right after the fact, the investigators told me.

Unfortunately, nothing could be done and the man later died at shock trauma. My prayers go out to this man's family as well as Coach Boeheim.

Dittos to the bolded part. Sorry you had to know this first hand. And yes, Boeheim and family are also suffering and victims in this. Terrible hurt all the way around.

hallcity
02-22-2019, 11:01 AM
There's been no announcement that Boeheim won't be on the bench coaching the game. It's hard for me to understand why he would try to coach the game. I'm assuming Boeheim bears no legal or moral responsibility for this tragedy. I just don't think it will look right if he tries to coach the game not to mention that Boeheim has to be so distracted that it's hard to imagine him being an effective coach. Boeheim deserves private hugs now not a big ovation as he enters the court.

Indoor66
02-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Life must go on, even after tragedy. Each of us handles tragedy in our own way. I do not feel wise enough nor empowered enough to know what is the right course for others so I am very slow to judge the choice of others.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Life must go on, even after tragedy. Each of us handles tragedy in our own way. I do not feel wise enough nor empowered enough to know what is the right course for others so I am very slow to judge the choice of others.

bingo.

DU82
02-22-2019, 12:45 PM
I talked to our regional traffic safety engineer, who is charged with investigating every fatal crash in this area. (I presume NYSDOT has a engineer with a similar role and responsibility.)

He would be very surprised, based on what he has read, that there would be any charges filed in this case. It appears the first crash (that disabled the Charger in the travel lanes) occurred almost immediately before Boeheim approached the scene, and the occupants of that vehcile were still trying to get clear of the lanes. (Again from what's been reported) Boeheim reacted to what he could see (the vehicle) and moved where he thought it was clear, but couldn't see the passengers in the road. He did everything he was supposed to after the incident. While I've never been in such a situation, even if it was not his fault, I'd expect Boeheim is feeling "survivor's guilt", which is a natural and reasonable after-effect of something like this.

I have no doubt that with such a high-profile incident, each and every report will be highly scrutinized. I'm sure some haters will find something they question (since they won't fully understand the incident report and investigation) but I'll be surprised if there was much Jim Boeheim could do to avoid this crash.

If you are ever in a similar situation, try to move your vehicle out of the travel lanes, and onto the shoulder (preferably the right shoulder.) Do not stand near the vehicle or travel lanes. If there's guardrail, get behind it.

Interstates are not designed to have pedestrians. If you are in the median on a bridge, do not go over the barrier. There's a good chance there's a gap between the bridge on your travel direction and the other direction. There have been instances of people jumping over the barrier, and falling to their deaths on the street/stream/river below.

CDu
02-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Interstates are not designed to have pedestrians. If you are in the median on a bridge, do not go over the barrier. There's a good chance there's a gap between the bridge on your travel direction and the other direction. There have been instances of people jumping over the barrier, and falling to their deaths on the street/stream/river below.

This is the key point. If you are driving on an Interstate, you are most likely driving between 55 and 85 mph. Even slowing down to go around an accident on the Interstate, you're still likely driving 40+ mph. You are not expecting people to be standing on the Interstate. And if it's dark, it can be REALLY hard to see a person on the Interstate. An awful, awful turn of events, but yet another example of why people should be extra cautious in getting out of (or staying out of) a car on the Interstate. Because pedestrians are the unexpected occurrence on an Interstate.

There's been no announcement that Boeheim won't be on the bench coaching the game. It's hard for me to understand why he would try to coach the game. I'm assuming Boeheim bears no legal or moral responsibility for this tragedy. I just don't think it will look right if he tries to coach the game not to mention that Boeheim has to be so distracted that it's hard to imagine him being an effective coach. Boeheim deserves private hugs now not a big ovation as he enters the court.

Yeah, I would not fault Boeheim for continuing to do his job in an attempt to add some normalcy to what is surely a surreal situation. I would also not fault Boeheim for not being able/willing to be there on Saturday. It's a position I cannot fathom being in, and hope I never have to experience. But I'll assume that whatever decision he makes about handling the situation is the best decision he can make given his circumstance. And I'll hope I never have to make that decision either way.

dukebluesincebirth
02-22-2019, 01:40 PM
He will coach tomorrow per Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack

HereBeforeCoachK
02-22-2019, 02:03 PM
He will coach tomorrow per Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack

There was no wrong answer here....no easy answer here. I respect this decision. I have no reason to think Boeheim was at fault, and no reason to think he's not eaten up by this. You could say sitting out is showing respect, but you can say coaching is a show of respect.

I would think there would be something honoring /remembering the victim at the game. Perhaps arm bands or moment of silence or something. The guy and his family will be honored by 30 thousand on national TV. That doesn't bring him back, and it may or may not comfort the family, God bless them, but most traffic victims don't get that. Heartbreaking all around.

Acymetric
02-22-2019, 02:25 PM
There was no wrong answer here...no easy answer here. I respect this decision. I have no reason to think Boeheim was at fault, and no reason to think he's not eaten up by this. You could say sitting out is showing respect, but you can say coaching is a show of respect.

I would think there would be something honoring /remembering the victim at the game. Perhaps arm bands or moment of silence or something. The guy and his family will be honored by 30 thousand on national TV. That doesn't bring him back, and it may or may not comfort the family, God bless them, but most traffic victims don't get that. Heartbreaking all around.

I doubt they do something at the game. Something about that just feels...off. It wouldn't surprise me if Boeheim himself wore a pin or something, but I don't expect anything stadium-wide and for some reason I can't quite put my finger on I hope there isn't anything. The idea just makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 02:29 PM
I doubt they do something at the game. Something about that just feels...off. It wouldn't surprise me if Boeheim himself wore a pin or something, but I don't expect anything stadium-wide and for some reason I can't quite put my finger on I hope there isn't anything. The idea just makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

I would invite the family of the deceased to a later game. No need to be patronizing here, as the guy had nothing to do with the school or the program. Further, they're probably grieving and doing funeral prep now, so I doubt they're much concerned about what the syracuse basketball team does or doesn't do.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-22-2019, 02:30 PM

You may be right....there's no set of directions for this kind of situation.

Acymetric
02-22-2019, 02:35 PM
I would invite the family of the deceased to a later game. No need to be patronizing here, as the guy had nothing to do with the school or the program. Further, they're probably grieving and doing funeral prep now, so I doubt they're much concerned about what the syracuse basketball team does or doesn't do.

After thinking on it more, trying to pin down why gesture by the school make me uneasy, I think maybe its at least partly that this isn't a school matter, it is a personal matter between the Boeheim family and the family of the deceased. Any grandiose gesture by the school comes off as unseemly (perhaps unless the family indicates that it is something they would want). That still doesn't quite explain it fully, but I think that is part of why the idea sets off my "this would be inappropriate" alert.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
After thinking on it more, trying to pin down why gesture by the school make me uneasy, I think maybe its at least partly that this isn't a school matter, it is a personal matter between the Boeheim family and the family of the deceased. Any grandiose gesture by the school comes off as unseemly (perhaps unless the family indicates that it is something they would want). That still doesn't quite explain it fully, but I think that is part of why the idea sets off my "this would be inappropriate" alert.

I would say an appropriate gesture would be some sort of "drive" for donations to victims of traffic accidents or something....if it's anything, it should be about everyone who is affected by these unfortunate realities of technological advancement, and less about the individual circumstance. As someone said, there are tons of wrong-place-wrong-time vehicular deaths. I don't think syracuse needs to elevate THIS one over all those, so the way to honor it is a gesture to everyone affected by such tragedy.

But that's just my impression.

sagegrouse
02-22-2019, 07:27 PM

This is a totally private matter, not involving Syracuse in any way, except to the extent that it affects Boeheim, who is an important leader at Syracuse U. Boeheim is soldiering on. So be it.

uh_no
02-23-2019, 09:43 PM
syracuse had a moment of silence at the game. Some members of the family were unsure, but ultimately okay given they honored him at the game.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26063818/family-man-struck-killed-car-syracuse-orange-coach-jim-boeheim-devastated