PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Bear Wins Game!

BD80
02-21-2019, 09:10 AM
But for the opposing team!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-georgia-loses-to-mississippi-state-after-fan-tosses-stuffed-animal-onto-court/

1/2 second left, a teddy bear is thrown onto the court to disrupt a game-winning free throw by the opposing team in a tie game.

The free throw is missed, but a technical is called and THAT free throw made to win the game.

FerryFor50
02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
TV Teddy strikes again

DukieInKansas
02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Will they ever figure out who threw it? What if it turns out to have been a Mississippi State fan?

thedukelamere
02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Will they ever figure out who threw it? What if it turns out to have been a Mississippi State fan?

I always wondered how they would handle that... Seems like a great way to help your team if you're in the building. I should have thrown a shoe or something at the Boston College game last year.

uh_no
02-21-2019, 02:22 PM
I always wondered how they would handle that... Seems like a great way to help your team if you're in the building. I should have thrown a shoe or something at the Boston College game last year.

It happened at the UNC game in cameron last year. A UNC fan between section 17 and 20 rolled a small basketball out onto the court while UNC was shooting FTs early in the game. Fortunately, it was before the FT was taken, and the refs stopped everything, and the fan was ejected immediately, and the stadium warned.

That ball is now a toy for my cat.

jv001
02-21-2019, 02:23 PM
You know how that would have played out if it had been the cheats instead of Georgia. The ACC or Swoff's refs would have said it didn't have a thing to do with the miss. Game overrrrrrr. cheats win. GoDuke!

JetpackJesus
02-21-2019, 02:31 PM
But for the opposing team!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-georgia-loses-to-mississippi-state-after-fan-tosses-stuffed-animal-onto-court/

1/2 second left, a teddy bear is thrown onto the court to disrupt a game-winning free throw by the opposing team in a tie game.

The free throw is missed, but a technical is called and THAT free throw made to win the game.

I guess Steve Bartman lives in Georgia now?

Kidding aside, that seems like a weak technical to me. The bear didn't even land on the court until after the ball hit the rim. It had zero impact on his shot. Also, that was a heck of a throw by whoever did it.

EDIT: I did not look up the rules, so maybe there is no leeway for the refs in this situation? But they seemed to take some time to discuss, which suggests there is some level of discretion.

94duke
02-21-2019, 03:12 PM
I'm surprised the refs didn't go with the standard warning over the PA before going to a game-deciding technical foul. wow.