PDA

View Full Version : The Storm is Coming - Will Zion Play Again This Season?

slower
02-21-2019, 08:42 AM
https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/21/18234319/zion-williamson-injury-duke-north-carolina-nike-shoe

From The Ringer. This won't be the last of it (and wasn't the start of it). We'll see all kinds of peripheral voices weighing in, turning the circus of Zion into something even more frenzied. Be prepared, because it's coming. We know that Zion, in his heart, will want to play if he can. But this is now about way more than just that.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 08:43 AM
https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/21/18234319/zion-williamson-injury-duke-north-carolina-nike-shoe

From The Ringer. This won't be the last of it (and wasn't the start of it). We'll see all kinds of peripheral voices weighing in, turning the circus of Zion into something even more frenzied. Be prepared, because it's coming. We know that Zion, in his heart, will want to play if he can. But this is now about way more than just that.

Scottie Pippen was seen celebrating with Adidas execs last night..........(just kidding.....I think)

UrinalCake
02-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Carlos Boozer was on Mike and Mike this morning (which is no longer Mike and Mike, but I don't remember the name of the other guy). Talked about how hard it is for players to recover in-game from an injury when in the back of their minds they're worried about their teammate and wondering if he'll come back. He was also asked what advice he would give Zion if Zion were to ask whether he should play the rest of the season. Boozer's advice was that as long as you're healthy you should go and play and try to win that title, because this is the only chance you'll have in your life to do that and the NBA will always be there.

From what we know of Zion based on interviews, he seems like the kind of kid who will want to play. Maybe this injury will change things, and that would be understandable.

slower
02-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Carlos Boozer was on Mike and Mike this morning (which is no longer Mike and Mike, but I don't remember the name of the other guy). Talked about how hard it is for players to recover in-game from an injury when in the back of their minds they're worried about their teammate and wondering if he'll come back. He was also asked what advice he would give Zion if Zion were to ask whether he should play the rest of the season. Boozer's advice was that as long as you're healthy you should go and play and try to win that title, because this is the only chance you'll have in your life to do that and the NBA will always be there.

From what we know of Zion based on interviews, he seems like the kind of kid who will want to play. Maybe this injury will change things, and that would be understandable.
Totally agree that Zion will WANT to play. But the fact that he is (potentially) a multi-billion dollar commodity may overrule that.

Stephen A. Smith may not survive this. :p (which may be a silver lining)

duke2x
02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Boozer's advice was that as long as you're healthy you should go and play and try to win that title, because this is the only chance you'll have in your life to do that and the NBA will always be there. From what we know of Zion based on interviews, he seems like the kind of kid who will want to play. Maybe this injury will change things, and that would be understandable.

Zion is going to be the #1 overall pick as long as it's not an ACL tear of any kind. Boozer is also correct this may be his best and only chance at a post-HS title.

aivroadstr
02-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Totally agree that Zion will WANT to play. But the fact that he is (potentially) a multi-billion dollar commodity may overrule that.

Stephen A has been uncharacteristically quiet so far.

All it was encouraging to hear that Zion was doing straight line sprints trying o see if he could get back into the game. According to the ESPN reporter he also insinuated that he will be coming back sooner than later.

Matches
02-21-2019, 09:13 AM
I think he'll play as soon as he's able.

But I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Zion is going to be the #1 overall pick as long as it's not an ACL tear of any kind. Boozer is also correct this may be his best and only chance at a post-HS title.

Best case scenario for Zion, and Duke, is that it is indeed a mild injury, and that he comes back and looks indestructible. This is the only way to make all the worries go away.

Second base case for Zion is the injury is not bad, but he parks it to be safe. That would not totally make the fear of injury go away. There will be NBA people questioning whether he is carrying too much weight - not due to being fat, which he clearly is not - but due to the strain that this much weight, regardless of how athletic, puts on all your joints.

Worst case, he comes back and suffers recurrence or more devastating injury.

Silver lining, or gold lining? His shoe endorsement value just shot through the roof....

CDu
02-21-2019, 09:16 AM

I agree with both of these points. For a player who puts as much stress on his joints as Zion, and whose athletic dominance is such a key feature of his game, I'd certainly not fault him for protecting his future. That said, he seems too competitive to take the safe route. Hopefully whatever decision he makes works out best for him.

jv001
02-21-2019, 09:18 AM

I'm with you that Zion will want to play when he's 100% healthy but I couldn't help but be pessimistic when the female sideline reporter said that Zion's parents came back to the locker room. I can't blame them for being concerned about their son, but I don't know them personally. So if they put his NBA dreams ahead of his Duke dreams of winning the NCAAT he could sit out the rest of the season. I still have Mrs. Carter in the back of my mind. However if they leave it up to Zion, I don't see him missing out on a chance to win the NCAAT. GoDuke!

CDu
02-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Best case scenario for Zion, and Duke, is that it is indeed a mild injury, and that he comes back and looks indestructible. This is the only way to make all the worries go away.

Second base case for Zion is the injury is not bad, but he parks it to be safe. That would not totally make the fear of injury go away. There will be NBA people questioning whether he is carrying too much weight - not due to being fat, which he clearly is not - but due to the strain that this much weight, regardless of how athletic, puts on all your joints.

Silver lining, or gold lining? His shoe endorsement value just shot through the roof...

Couldn't give sporks, but looks like we were on the same page!

slower
02-21-2019, 09:50 AM

And if that happens, we ain't seen nothing yet. The internet will melt.

UrinalCake
02-21-2019, 10:02 AM

That would be my concern for him as well. The ONLY thing that could keep him from being the #1 pick is if he develops an "injury-prone" label. There were already concerns out there that he is carrying too much weight and his body may not hold up to an NBA season. Him playing a full college season would have eliminated those concerns, and if only misses a short amount of time then it shouldn't affect things. A shoe blowing up is not something you can predict. But if he suffers another injury on top of this and his high school injuries then that has to at least be a consideration.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 10:10 AM
and if that happens, we ain't seen nothing yet. The internet will melt.

sporks ^^^ (and cable)

that would be my concern for him as well. The only thing that could keep him from being the #1 pick is if he develops an "injury-prone" label. There were already concerns out there that he is carrying too much weight and his body may not hold up to an nba season. Him playing a full college season would have eliminated those concerns, and if only misses a short amount of time then it shouldn't affect things. A shoe blowing up is not something you can predict. But if he suffers another injury on top of this and his high school injuries then that has to at least be a consideration.

sporks ^^^^

DBGoins
02-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Everyone else seen this...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821748-report-zion-williamsons-8m-insurance-policy-revealed-after-injury-vs-unc

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Everyone else seen this...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2821748-report-zion-williamsons-8m-insurance-policy-revealed-after-injury-vs-unc

These policies are a good idea.....8 mill is not anything like what he'll make....but it is life changing money. And Zion's gonna make a ton of money in basketball, with his aura now, even if he never played again. (and I'm happy for him to have that built in safety net simply due to his awesome character and personality).

jv001
02-21-2019, 10:30 AM
These policies are a good idea....8 mill is not anything like what he'll make...but it is life changing money. And Zion's gonna make a ton of money in basketball, with his aura now, even if he never played again. (and I'm happy for him to have that built in safety net simply due to his awesome character and personality).

I agree. The policy is a great idea for a player like Zion. The article said he can collect if he falls below the 16 pick, I believe. Interesting that Duke paid for the policy that cost $50,000. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 10:35 AM
I agree. The policy is a great idea for a player like Zion. The article said he can collect if he falls below the 16 pick, I believe. Interesting that Duke paid for the policy that cost $50,000. GoDuke!

I believe Zion should've been allowed to play pro this season...but that is an NBA rule. Now he is at Duke, and the gig ain't bad: he is getting mega exposure that will help make him millions very shortly, he's getting coached by a man he routinely calls the greatest coach ever...a chance to play the best of the best in college in the biggest settings...a 75 thousand dollar tuition package, and 50 thousand insurance spiff that is an eight million dollar safety net. That's not insignificant value...for 30 or 40 games of work.

dukelifer
02-21-2019, 10:39 AM
That would be my concern for him as well. The ONLY thing that could keep him from being the #1 pick is if he develops an "injury-prone" label. There were already concerns out there that he is carrying too much weight and his body may not hold up to an NBA season. Him playing a full college season would have eliminated those concerns, and if only misses a short amount of time then it shouldn't affect things. A shoe blowing up is not something you can predict. But if he suffers another injury on top of this and his high school injuries then that has to at least be a consideration.
If Zion loses 15 pounds he may jump even higher which may increase his risk of injury.
All players can get injured- but this is a freak situation. If he slips without the shoe blowout- he probably is okay.

jv001
02-21-2019, 10:39 AM
I believe Zion should've been allowed to play pro this season...but that is an NBA rule. Now he is at Duke, and the gig ain't bad: he is getting mega exposure that will help make him millions very shortly, he's getting coached by a man he routinely calls the greatest coach ever...a chance to play the best of the best in college in the biggest settings...a 75 thousand dollar tuition package, and 50 thousand insurance spiff. That's not insignificant value...for 30 or 40 games of work.

Up until now, Zion has been able to showcase his game and the public and NBA scouts love him. He's gone on record saying he loves the Duke experience. So it's a win-win situation under the current rules. But I agree he and other high school players should have the opportunity to go pro right out of high school. Personally I like the baseball rule for going pro. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Silver lining, or gold lining? His shoe endorsement value just shot through the roof...

IMO, Nike would want to make a very large offer, ASAP!

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 10:53 AM
IMO, this is a risk/return analysis given current compensation levels. On a percentage basis, the risk of a college player having a career ending, or even substantially damaging, injury is very low. The return of playing and improving at the highest current competition level possible, possibly winning a National Title, and playing for the GOAT college coach is substantial. Easy for me to say, but I'd definitely advise continuing to play and negotiating a huge Nike deal.

MCFinARL
02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
IMO, this is a risk/return analysis given current compensation levels. On a percentage basis, the risk of a college player having a career ending, or even substantially damaging, injury is very low. The return of playing and improving at the highest current competition level possible, possibly winning a National Title, and playing for the GOAT college coach is substantial. Easy for me to say, but I'd definitely advise continuing to play and negotiating a huge Nike deal.

A reasonable analysis. Based on everything we have seen (and by we I mean outsiders, not program insiders who obviously know a lot more) of Zion, he will want to come back and play if the injury is sufficiently healed that playing does not present a significant risk of exacerbating that same injury. I don't think the possibility of another, completely unrelated injury would change his mind.

But of course the parents may see things differently and may advise a more cautious approach.

Of course all of this is academic if this turns out to be an injury that requires, say, 6 weeks out to recover. Hoping that is not the case.

JNort
02-21-2019, 11:03 AM

This I think echoes most of our thoughts.

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Of course all of this is academic if this turns out to be an injury that requires, say, 6 weeks out to recover. Hoping that is not the case.

Given he was jogging afterwards, I don't see how that's even possible.

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have one today.

I'll wager he plays Saturday.

MCFinARL
02-21-2019, 11:07 AM

I am not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV. So I hope you are right. [Forgive me for noting that Kyrie came back and played in the game against Butler in which he was injured, before disappearing for a very long time.] I will be really surprised to see him play Saturday in any case though.

jv001
02-21-2019, 11:07 AM

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprise if he doesn't have one today.

I believe his Mom will have the last say in this. Could be wrong and I hope I am. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 11:09 AM
I believe his Mom will have the last say in this. Could be wrong and I hope I am. GoDuke!

His mom once told him "Wofford or Clemson." We'll see. His mom is awesome: (THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!)

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 11:10 AM
[Forgive me for noting that Kyrie came back and played in the game against Butler in which he was injured, before disappearing for a very long time.]

Exactly why I believe it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again.

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 11:12 AM

I believe she had a very well-deserved say last night.

I think she should also be in attendance when Zion negotiates the greatest Nike deal ever.

jv001
02-21-2019, 11:13 AM
I believe she had a say last night.

So do I Jeffrey. I like the say you spell your name. Just like my late-son Jeffrey. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
So do I Jeffrey. I like the say you spell your name. Just like my late-son Jeffrey. GoDuke!

Thank you!

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your son! Just the thought brings sadness way beyond anything else. I'll do my best to represent his name well!

wavedukefan70s
02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
If he does play again I'm elated. I'll enjoy watching him.if he doesnt I'm glad I got to watch him play. Hes represented the palmetto state as well as any athlete I can remember. I wish him good fortune either way.

johnb
02-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Obviously, he should be 100% before he returns. With a rest, Zion has a max 12 games left at Duke, most of which would be in high visibility tournaments. Risk of injury would be low, perhaps not much higher than if he quit the team and focused on nba workouts—even if he decides not to return, it’s not like he’s going to quit working out and playing hoops.

Casual fans don’t concentrate on college hoops until March. Leaving aside Zion’s team focus and competitiveness, a sparkling NCAA tournament would likely bring a massive windfall from companies who wouldn’t care if he’s only a very good N.B.A. player as long as he’s a long-term presence on Sportscenter.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 12:13 PM
I think she should also be in attendance when Zion negotiates the greatest Nike deal ever.

Phil Knight: Zion, we'd love to pay you a zillion dollars to wear our shoe.

Zion: Mr. Knight, I'd love that, but I think I have some leverage now. Adidas just texted me. Again.

Knight: Okay Zion, you're right...make it TWO ZILLION DOLLARS.

Zion: I believe we have a deal.

Mama Williamson: THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
02-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Stephen A has been uncharacteristically quiet so far.

All it was encouraging to hear that Zion was doing straight line sprints trying o see if he could get back into the game. According to the ESPN reporter he also insinuated that he will be coming back sooner than later.

Stephen A Smith mentioned on ESPN today that RJ ran straight to the trainers room after the game to check on Zion even though he was supposed to be at a press conference. So pretty clearly they were all thinking of him throughout the game.

Smith also was on the Zion should keep playing side of the fence. Obviously he should only play if he's 100% and I'm sure Zion's family and Coach K won't let him until he is. People are acting like Coach K is going to throw out a less than 100% Zion out there. That'll never happen.

slower
02-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Phil Knight: Zion, we'd love to pay you a zillion dollars to wear our shoe.

Zion: Mr. Knight, I'd love that, but I think I have some leverage now. Adidas just texted me. Again.

Knight: Okay Zion, you're right...make it TWO ZILLION DOLLARS.

Zion: I believe we have a deal.

Mama Williamson: THATS WHAT YOU DO!!!!

Barring any major catastrophes, Zion could/should be heading for Jordan\Lebron endorsement levels. He's certainly more likeable than either of them.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 12:31 PM
Barring any major catastrophes, Zion could/should be heading for Jordan\Lebron endorsement levels. He's certainly more likeable than either of them.

Im thinking much higher, for the first contract. The whole world has seen that Zion MUST pick the right shoe now. Whatever he calls the right shoe.....is solid gold.

budwom
02-21-2019, 12:38 PM
Im thinking much higher, for the first contract. The whole world has seen that Zion MUST pick the right shoe now. Whatever he calls the right shoe....is solid gold.

Moreover (and perhaps I'm wrong) I would think that signing Zion to a shoe contract becomes absolutely mandatory for Nike...it'll look dreadful for them if he goes elsewhere.
So assuming (fingers crossed) this is a minimal injury, the silver lining might well be that Zion's inevitable huge shoe contract just became huger.

Dukehk
02-21-2019, 12:46 PM

IMO, it would have been prudent to request an MRI before playing again. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have one today.

Has this actually been verified that he was seen jogging?

RJ seemed a bit down in the interview afterwards, thats my worry. Though of course that would have alot to do with our loss to unx.

I think Saturday might be too soon. Would love to see him back by VT or Miami though.

rsvman
02-21-2019, 12:46 PM
I feel pretty confident, based on not much except intuition, that Zion will lace 'em up again for Duke and continue to play well.

Just hoping they reinforce the seams in whatever shoe he chooses to lace up........

weezie
02-21-2019, 12:59 PM
I feel pretty confident, based on not much except intuition, that Zion will lace 'em up again for Duke and continue to play well...

I'm with you.

And I'll be sitting in front of the house in my car and listening to the Coach K show on Sirius this evening. Recorded this morning, it will likely be cryptic but maybe hearing K put this all into perspective will help me stop being so mopey.

jv001
02-21-2019, 01:01 PM
I'm with you.

And I'll be sitting in front of the house in my car and listening to the Coach K show on Sirius this evening. Recorded this morning, it will likely be cryptic but maybe hearing K put this all into perspective will help me stop being so mopey.

weezie please be sure to let us know what the Coach says or doesn't say. GoDuke!

CameronBlue
02-21-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm with you.

It's days like these when my analyst wishes she hadn't given me her cell number.

Pghdukie
02-21-2019, 01:08 PM
I believe Duke has a practice scheduled for 1:45 this aft. We may learn more then.

Dukehk
02-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Gosh this is all over national media. All the sports talk shows are going on and on about it.

I agree with all the other posters here, if Zion can recover 100% before the end of the season, he will come back. He loves this team and he considers them his brothers.

Lets hope the diagnosis today is positive and he can come back for Miami or Wake.

fathippo
02-21-2019, 01:32 PM
I feel pretty confident, based on not much except intuition, that Zion will lace 'em up again for Duke and continue to play well.

Just hoping they reinforce the seams in whatever shoe he chooses to lace up...

It should be based on more than intuition. Zion addressed this discussion after Pippen's comments. I don't see how a mild knee strain changes things. We know he is super competitive, loves playing with RJ and his teammates, wants the college experience, and doesn't want to "let his teammates down". He will be back soon...with reinforced shoes.

gotoguy
02-21-2019, 01:40 PM
I'm with you.

Weezie you can download the Sirius ap on your phone/ipad etc. and listen to Coach K in the comfort of your home.

godukegodukego
02-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Boozer's advice was that as long as you're healthy you should go and play and try to win that title, because this is the only chance you'll have in your life to do that and the NBA will always be there.

Boozer’s advice reminds me of what happened in 2000-2001 season. He injured his foot and didn’t play in the latter part of the season. He came back for the tournament and the rest is history. With that said, as much as I’d love for Zion to lead Duke to the sixth championship, I don’t wish my personal (and our collective) desire to jeopardize his health or career. Zion should do what he wants to do... #goduke

BullBlue
02-21-2019, 02:25 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/zion-williamsons-season-at-duke-will-have-bigger-payoff-than-straight-to-nba-route/12xn8qwtril1w1dxrf5rcny58y

I thought this was an interesting article from Sporting News by Mike DeCourcy and I agree with most of it. Zion has been great for Duke, but Duke basketball has been around a while too, and I think that is a two way street.

"The Duke-Zion relationship has worked beautifully for both, and the reality is that it has been far more lucrative for the player. Duke hasn’t struggled to sell a basketball ticket for decades. Its games have been nationally broadcast for years. Into that machine stepped a singular force of nature, Zion, who will emerge more mature, more accomplished, more marketable. That’s how college is supposed to work."

I hope he fully recovers quickly from the blown shoe and helps Duke win #6, which will be great for Duke fans, but will also only add to the Zion brand.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-21-2019, 02:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/zion-williamsons-season-at-duke-will-have-bigger-payoff-than-straight-to-nba-route/12xn8qwtril1w1dxrf5rcny58y

I thought this was an interesting article from Sporting News by Mike DeCourcy and I agree with most of it. Zion has been great for Duke, but Duke basketball has been around a while too, and I think that is a two way street.

"The Duke-Zion relationship has worked beautifully for both, and the reality is that it has been far more lucrative for the player. Duke hasn’t struggled to sell a basketball ticket for decades. Its games have been nationally broadcast for years. Into that machine stepped a singular force of nature, Zion, who will emerge more mature, more accomplished, more marketable. That’s how college is supposed to work."

I hope he fully recovers quickly from the blown shoe and helps Duke win #6, which will be great for Duke fans, but will also only add to the Zion brand.

A thousand sporks to you and DeCourcy........yes, Zion and Duke have been great for each other. Duke without Zion would not be as big as Duke with Zion, but Clemson or South Carolina with Zion would be nothing close to Duke and Zion. Two way street indeed, and both lanes are packed.

weezie
02-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Weezie you can download the Sirius ap on your phone/ipad etc. and listen to Coach K in the comfort of your home.

Yes, understood gotoguy.

There's something much more martyr-ish in sitting in the car and glaring at anyone who dares approach, though....:cool:

DevilYouKnow
02-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Given the nature of his injury, it seems that re-injury should be highly predictable and hence, avoidable. And I can't imagine a re-injury of that knee would see him slide in the draft unless it was some catastrophic destruction of tissue. I think playing again when it's medically advisable would boost his endorsement stock even further.

That said, there are tons of Duke haters and college hoops haters who are advising him otherwise.

bigperm13
02-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Just watched DBP Episode 19 from this year. The answer to the thread question is yes.

hudlow
02-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Yes, understood gotoguy.

There's something much more martyr-ish in sitting in the car and glaring at anyone who dares approach, though...:cool:

Locking the doors when they get close adds to the intensity.

Green Wave Dukie
02-21-2019, 06:06 PM
Yes!!!

Jeffrey
02-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Has this actually been verified that he was seen jogging?

I wouldn't give you false hope... it's true.

weezie
02-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Locking the doors when they get close adds to the intensity.

I prefer to unlock the doors and focus my laser attention upon anyone who dares approach. It was only the cat this evening.

Actually, as predicted, K didn't say a whole lot and for once, I'm not so sure he knows much right now. The words, "optimistic" "knee is stable" "24-48 hours" provide direction. K recognized that the entire crowd went into shock. No other references to anybody else on the team.

He's not the type of guy to fret and nail bite, we all know that, so we wait and hope for good news.

tendev
02-22-2019, 02:29 PM
At some point in their college careers when they have already secured their draft position, every player takes a risk by continuing to play. At some point last year Bagley secured his position in the draft. It was certainly before the NCAA or ACC tournaments but no one recommended that he stop playing. Why didn't he stop playing or any other player stop playing? I guess its because they enjoy the game too much and think the risk is worth taking. Seriously, why is this even a topic of conversation? It is not unique to Zion and sitting out the rest of the season is not going to happen if he is healthy enough to play. Isn't this all self-evident?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Seriously, why is this even a topic of conversation? It is not unique to Zion and sitting out the rest of the season is not going to happen if he is healthy enough to play. Isn't this all self-evident?

It is a topic of conversation because to someone like Jay Will or Scottie Pippen - not to mention all of the morons on Around The Horn, it is NOT all self evident. This conversation is started by the side that says he should shut it down. By definition, it has to be. Otherwise it's not a conversation.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 02:35 PM
At some point in their college careers when they have already secured their draft position, every player takes a risk by continuing to play. At some point last year Bagley secured his position in the draft. It was certainly before the NCAA or ACC tournaments but no one recommended that he stop playing. Why didn't he stop playing or any other player stop playing? I guess its because they enjoy the game too much and think the risk is worth taking. Seriously, why is this even a topic of conversation? It is not unique to Zion and sitting out the rest of the season is not going to happen if he is healthy enough to play. Isn't this all self-evident?

yeah i never got this attitude. in most of these cases, getting injured isn't a predictor for getting injured again...and that being the case, then every draft candidate should simply stop playing at some time.

People do it in football because everyone knows lesser bowl games are a sham. People compete to win championships...not to win one of 50 made-for-TV staged matchups. Are there any instances of the healthy football guys sitting out in the playoffs? In any case, skipping random bowl games is largely normalized. Skipping the end of basketball season for a team with title hopes would be huge negative press for any player.

There's always a risk of getting injured...but in CBB, you have far more to lose by bailing, IMO. I mean, hell, people I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. on westbrook for being selfish by getting too many triple doubles (rightly or wrongly)...the media would have a FIELD day with a dukie who gave up on the team to keep his draft stock high. And frankly, if that's the attitude a player has, I'd rather they didn't bother to come to Duke in the first place. You came here, you committed, and you should play if you're healthy. The deal is to come play a year, not come play until your draft stock is high enough.

Matches
02-22-2019, 02:38 PM
At some point in their college careers when they have already secured their draft position, every player takes a risk by continuing to play. At some point last year Bagley secured his position in the draft. It was certainly before the NCAA or ACC tournaments but no one recommended that he stop playing.

I could not cite a source, but it definitely was a topic of conversation with Bagley, particularly when he got hurt. Not saying it was ever seriously going to happen, but the talking point was out there.

wgl1228
02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
I assume Zion will be back against VT or Miami and this question will be moot, but do we think this will affect him winning ACC POY or NPOY?

Matches
02-22-2019, 02:44 PM
I assume Zion will be back against VT or Miami and this question will be moot, but do we think this will affect him winning ACC POY or NPOY?

I assume Joe Forte will still win both honors. :)

Nah, it won't matter.

wgl1228
02-22-2019, 02:46 PM

Nah, it won't matter.

Haven't thought of that name in years! I could see the UNC homers voting for Maye even if Zion returns.

slower
02-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I didn't start the thread to contend that Zion SHOULD shut it down. I was just responding to an article in The Ringer that wanted to make it more about the NBA Draft minimum age, shoe contracts, labor vs. management issues, etc.

Zion's injury, because it's Zion, opened up all kinds of cans of worms.

I'm sure that most of us feel that he should and that he WILL return, if healthy.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 02:52 PM

Nah, it won't matter.

Luke Maye has now opened up a huge gap on the rest of the field.

Cheater logic:
Zion was the best player
Zion plays for Duke
Luke put up 30 on duke against Zion's 0
Luke must be the best player in the country.

tendev
02-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't start the thread to contend that Zion SHOULD shut it down. I was just responding to an article in The Ringer that wanted to make it more about the NBA Draft minimum age, shoe contracts, labor vs. management issues, etc.

Zion's injury, because it's Zion, opened up all kinds of cans of worms.

I'm sure that most of us feel that he should and that he WILL return, if healthy.

I knew you didn't. I would not even have posted but I am seeing this argument EVERYWHERE and I just think it is ridiculous. So I am ranting.

UrinalCake
02-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Last year people were legitimately campaigning for Maye to be ACC POY over Bagley on the grounds that since Bagley missed four games, he did not help his team as much. This was despite the fact that Bagley had scored more total points and had the same number of rebounds (playing in 4 fewer games)

uh_no
02-22-2019, 04:06 PM
I couldn't do that to my teammates. Again, thank you for, like, seeing the confidence in me and the type of player I can become. But I love college too much to stop playing. I wouldn't give this up.

the vigil is obviously still alive....but now zion has explicitly stated he will play when healthy...

DoWorkDukie
02-22-2019, 04:08 PM
the vigil is obviously still alive...but now zion has explicitly stated he will play when healthy...

Where'd he state this? I must have missed it. K said he had an optimistic timetable, though, which seems to suggest he'll play.

Troublemaker
02-22-2019, 04:21 PM
the vigil is obviously still alive...but now zion has explicitly stated he will play when healthy...

That's from Feb 5th when responding to Pippen.

Now, I'm confident he still feels the same way today, but people are saying the injury might change his mind or something.

richmclean
02-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Luke Maye has now opened up a huge gap on the rest of the field.

Cheater logic:
Zion was the best player
Zion plays for Duke
Luke put up 30 on duke against Zion's 0
Luke must be the best player in the country.

QED.

uh_no
02-22-2019, 04:55 PM
That's from Feb 5th when responding to Pippen.

Now, I'm confident he still feels the same way today, but people are saying the injury might change his mind or something.

Ah...i saw it in a recent article...didn't realize it was old.

Sorry.

Either way, this thread seems a bit redundant with the vigil at this point.

devildeac
02-22-2019, 09:55 PM

Nah, Luke Maye wrapped up both of those Wednesday night.

:rolleyes::mad: