PDA

View Full Version : Williamson sweeps ACC honors, 2-18-19

jimsumner
02-18-2019, 03:27 PM
http://theacc.com/news/2019/2/18/mens-basketball-dukes-williamson-sweeps-acc-weekly-honors.aspx

Bob Green
02-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Congratulations to Zion!

For the second time this season, Duke forward Zion Williamson has swept Atlantic Coast Conference men’s basketball Player and Freshman of the Week honors.

Impressive!

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2019, 03:50 PM
He's going to run away with the ACC POY award.

DavidBenAkiva
02-18-2019, 04:03 PM
About time he won the awards! He has only been named ACC Player of the Week twice this season. That's shockingly few too many times for a player that will run away with most National Player of the Year awards, and deservedly so.

Here's hoping he can be a repeat winner next Monday, too.

uh_no
02-18-2019, 04:11 PM

He's going to win, and it's not even going to be close. Someone like Jay Bilas will vote for Luke Maye, but it won't be a competition. I don't think there's been this kind of must-watch player in CBB in a long long time. I know people who are clamoring for any tickets to a duke game because they want to see Zion play....and not even duke fans. This is akin to seeing Tiger at the masters or Brady at the super bowl. Combine that with the fact that he's on the best team, and probably has as many highlight-reel plays as the rest of CBB combined, and it's a perfect storm.

Nobody has seen a person with anything close to his skillset before...and it's incredible to watch a 200-whatever pound guy move like he's a 6'2 point guard.

He'll win NPOY, it won't be close, and Luke Maye will win ACCPOY.

cato
02-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Someone like Jay Bilas will vote for Luke Maye, but it won't be a competition.

I very rarely listen to the commentary, so have not heard Jay discuss Zion. Has he suggested Maye is a better player?

uh_no
02-18-2019, 04:28 PM
I very rarely listen to the commentary, so have not heard Jay discuss Zion. Has he suggested Maye is a better player?

haha no. It's a two-fold joke about how shill voters from UNC's journalism school will often vote largely undeserving UNC players for awards, and that conversely, Jay Bilas will look for any reason to not support Duke.

arnie
02-18-2019, 04:32 PM
haha no. It's a two-fold joke about how shill voters from UNC's journalism school will often vote largely undeserving UNC players for awards, and that conversely, Jay Bilas will look for any reason to not support Duke.

Well Big Luke did win the award the week before and if Cheats were to win regular season, he’d get lots of votes for ACC POY. Zion has to finish “strong” at the end.

ncexnyc
02-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Well Big Luke did win the award the week before and if Cheats were to win regular season, he’d get lots of votes for ACC POY. Zion has to finish “strong” at the end.
Not sure how anyone would go with a UNC player other than Coby White. They'd be in big trouble without him on their roster.

CDu
02-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Not sure how anyone would go with a UNC player other than Coby White. They'd be in big trouble without him on their roster.

Yeah, I can't imagine Maye getting PoY votes. I can certainly imagine Coby White getting some. He shouldn't, but he probably will. Maye hasn't been nearly good enough to warrant consideration.

Maye's stats in conference: 14.8 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 43% from the field. His season stats: 14.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 43.7% from the field. That would be some serious mental gymnastics to give him the award.

White, at least, has the scoring chops to whet studid voters' appetites.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Bilas has been effusive in his praise of Zion, like everyone else at ESPN.

CameronBornAndBred
02-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Every once in a while, some things are so undeniable...

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2019, 05:30 PM

And to Bilas' credit (can't believe I said that) - Bilas was effusive to an extreme degree before many realized what we were dealing with......

jipops
02-18-2019, 10:25 PM
Zion wil get ACC poy, White will get freshman of the year...just because.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Zion wil get ACC poy, White will get freshman of the year...just because.

You misspelled "Nasir Little."

jipops
02-18-2019, 10:36 PM
You misspelled "Nasir Little."

You sure you didn’t?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2019, 10:38 PM
You sure you didn’t?

LOL... I admit I looked it up.

Barnstormer
02-19-2019, 06:30 AM
What if Zion had taken a different path? What advantages and disadvantages to Duke vs Clemson or North Carolina or Kentucky?

arnie
02-19-2019, 06:54 AM
What if Zion had taken a different path? What advantages and disadvantages to Duke vs Clemson or North Carolina or Kentucky?

If Zion had chosen the Cheats he’d enjoy a shorter b-ball achedule next year. Zion would be subbing for Luke now and we’d be amazed at his high flying act for 10-12 minutes a game. In 2019-2020, Roy might have made him a co-focal point on O with Nassir.

johnb
02-19-2019, 09:49 AM
And to Bilas' credit (can't believe I said that) - Bilas was effusive to an extreme degree before many realized what we were dealing with...

Agreed. Bilas has been very pro Zion from day one. I also happen to think that Bilas is fairly even handed about Duke and am impressed by his knowledge of other teams. Lots of announcers are obviously learning about teams the day prior to their game. Not so with Bilas.

Voters often do try to spread the wealth a bit, which argues against Zion getting ACC POY and freshman of year. If Zion keeps escalating his scoring and becomes consensus national POY, I imagine that could impact voting for ACC POY, especially if Duke loses more than one game before the ACC tourney (or if RJ keeps rocking alone at such a high level). Nevertheless, if any year is going to be the year for a clean sweep, this is it.

CameronBornAndBred
02-19-2019, 10:29 AM
For those surmising that Zion gets ACC POY but not the Rookie of the Year, there have been only 2 freshmen in the history of the POY award, and they both also won Rookie of the Year.

Their names were Jahlil Okafor and Marvin Bagley III.

elvis14
02-19-2019, 10:38 AM

I wish I could believe that. I mean Shane Battier was NPOY in 2001 but somehow was co-ACCPOY with a cheater in 2001. Ever since then, I know that a cheater will be given more votes than they deserve. Zion has a better chance of being NPOY than he does ACCPOY.

vick
02-19-2019, 12:53 PM
I wish I could believe that. I mean Shane Battier was NPOY in 2001 but somehow was co-ACCPOY with a cheater in 2001. Ever since then, I know that a cheater will be given more votes than they deserve. Zion has a better chance of being NPOY than he does ACCPOY.

The current gap between Zion and the next-closest player in ACC performance to date (Hunter? Blackshear? Guy? Barrett? Johnson?) is way larger than that between Battier and Forte was. If voting ending today, it would not be close.

JayZee
02-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Jwill - NPOY 2001-2002, ACC POY Juan Dixon

Johnny D - 1985-86 Naismith, ACC POy Len Bias

Can't imagine the ACC POY going to anyone else besides Zion.

uh_no
02-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Jwill - NPOY 2001-2002, ACC POY Juan Dixon

Can't imagine the ACC POY going to anyone else besides Zion.

you're imagination is quite limited if you can't imagine the depravity of UNC media shills who would vote for anyone but a dukie.

devildeac
02-19-2019, 01:23 PM
you're imagination is quite limited if you can't imagine the depravity of UNC media shills who would vote for anyone but a dukie.

Shame on you. All caps vs no caps? :(

Otherwise, point well taken. :D

elvis14
02-19-2019, 01:32 PM

This is the point. Sure, logically Zion should be the run away ACCPOY if things continue the way they are now. But in reality, Maye is probably the leader right now.

Ian
02-19-2019, 01:46 PM
The current gap between Zion and the next-closest player in ACC performance to date (Hunter? Blackshear? Guy? Barrett? Johnson?) is way larger than that between Battier and Forte was. If voting ending today, it would not be close.

Not true. According to sports-reference.com Battier had 10.1 winshares in 2001, Joe Forte had 4.8.
This year, Zion has 6.7 so far, Hunter has 5.2.

That's not to say that I don't think Zion will win it. But just to point out what a travesty it was for Forte to share that award, the gap between him and Battier was a chasm. There were probably at least 5 players in the ACC better than Forte that year. (JWill and Juan Dixon for sure).

Jeffrey
02-19-2019, 01:50 PM

IMO, Len Bias was the ACC POY and one of the ten best to play in the ACC. That was a loaded ACC class and, IIRC, the top 3 NBA picks played in the ACC.

vick
02-19-2019, 01:56 PM
This is the point. Sure, logically Zion should be the run away ACCPOY if things continue the way they are now. But in reality, Maye is probably the leader right now.

Come on. Literally *last year* a Duke player substantially inferior to Zion, who missed nearly a quarter of the season due to injury, beat Maye 37-5 in voting. If voting happened today, Zion would win POY by a huge margin, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

vick
02-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Not true. According to sports-reference.com Battier had 10.1 winshares in 2001, Joe Forte had 4.8.

That's not to say that I don't think Zion will win it. But just to point out what a travesty it was for Forte to share that award, the gap between him and Battier was a chasm. There were probably at least 5 players in the ACC better than Forte that year. (JWill and Juan Dixon for sure).

Sports-reference is a great site, but those stats cover the whole year so aren't really great for this comparison. I have ACC-specific stats which I can try to dig up tonight, but bottom-line is, if you look at "advanced," pace-adjusted stats within ACC games from 1997-on (as far back as I can go), the only season even remotely comparable to Zion's season so far was Duncan's senior year.

uh_no
02-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Come on. Literally *last year* a Duke player substantially inferior to Zion, who missed nearly a quarter of the season due to injury, beat Maye 37-5 in voting. If voting happened today, Zion would win POY by a huge margin, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

we're being facetious...

JayZee
02-19-2019, 02:06 PM

I don't think my imagination is that limited. :)

Still, I did look through the last 18 years of ACC POY

Every winner was ranked either #1 or #2 in scoring, except

Malcolm Brogdon - #3
Tyler Zeller - #5
Justin Jackson - #7
Ty Lawson - #12

hmmmm... :)

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2019, 02:27 PM
IMO, Len Bias was the ACC POY and one of the ten best to play in the ACC. That was a loaded ACC class and, IIRC, the top 3 NBA picks played in the ACC.

And after Bias' death, Johnny D called him something along the lines of the best player he ever played with/against in college...Bias was a bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this....a Rodney Rogers but even better (and Rodney was PDGood)

EDIT: .....was a real badazz

JayZee
02-19-2019, 02:59 PM

Agreed on Len. Just put that in for completeness as we were discussing winning NPOY while losing ACC POY which happened in 1986...

sagegrouse
02-19-2019, 03:34 PM

It's different voting now, but IIRC (maybe once!) it was a poll of Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association back then. There are a couple of writers who rue failing to cast their ballots, which would have broken Shane's tie with Joe Forte.

brevity
02-19-2019, 03:49 PM
It's different voting now, but IIRC (maybe once!) it was a poll of Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association back then. There are a couple of writers who rue failing to cast their ballots, which would have broken Shane's tie with Joe Forte.

...Giving Joe Forte the award all to himself, right?

(ducks)

gep
02-20-2019, 12:17 AM

I fully admit that I haven't seen much of unc basketball so far this season. But I cannot imagine that anyone in college basketball is ahead of Zion for anything right now...:confused:

uh_no
02-20-2019, 12:39 AM
I fully admit that I haven't seen much of unc basketball so far this season. But I cannot imagine that anyone in college basketball is ahead of Zion for anything right now...:confused:

it was a joke...

gep
02-20-2019, 01:39 AM
it was a joke...

Haha... thanks. Sometimes, it's hard to tell truth from fiction...:cool:

devildeac
02-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Haha... thanks. Sometimes, it's hard to tell truth from fiction...:cool:

Have you been conversing with someone in the "u"nc athletic department recently? ;)

elvis14
02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
it was a joke...

Mixture of joke, hyperbole and frustration. Thank goodness Zion is on our team.

Troublemaker
02-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Whatever the advanced stats say, they weren't a factor in that voting decision in 2001. UNC tied with Duke for 1st place that season, and *that* was probably the (bad) reason Forte won -- tie goes to the player that had less talent around him.

As long as Duke remains in 1st place this season, Zion is a huge favorite. Even if we tie with UVA, the sweep of UVA would put him over the top.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Whatever the advanced stats say, they weren't a factor in that voting decision in 2001. UNC tied with Duke for 1st place that season, and *that* was probably the (bad) reason Forte won -- tie goes to the player that had less talent around him.

As long as Duke remains in 1st place this season, Zion is a huge favorite. Even if we tie with UVA, the sweep of UVA would put him over the top.

Years ago, unless I'm on drugs, the Player of the Year and the Coach of the Year in the ACC were not awards merely based on conference games - they were awards based on the whole body of work. You know, so and so was player of the year in the league from an ACC team...but not necessarily just regarding ACC games.

I noticed some of the local talk jocks, who I hold in moderate to low regard, start to comment in a way that makes it seem like the only contemplation for these awards is in league games. Did I miss the memo?

Jeffrey
02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Have you been conversing with someone in the "u"nc athletic department recently? ;)

Now, now, the poster could have been conversing with politicians.

Troublemaker
02-20-2019, 10:31 AM
Years ago, unless I'm on drugs, the Player of the Year and the Coach of the Year in the ACC were not awards merely based on conference games - they were awards based on the whole body of work. You know, so and so was player of the year in the league from an ACC team...but not necessarily just regarding ACC games.

I noticed some of the local talk jocks, who I hold in moderate to low regard, start to comment in a way that makes it seem like the only contemplation for these awards is in league games. Did I miss the memo?

Yes, "whole regular season with extra emphasis on conference games" is how I've always understood it. Keep in mind, though, that at the time of the voting, UNC had 5 losses and Duke 4. That Duke team would go on to really separate itself from the pack in the postseason, of course, but these awards are regular season awards.

And I'm obviously not arguing in favor of using team records to decide individual player awards. I'm just re-constructing how it was possible for the voters to make such a bad decision.

devildeac
02-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Now, now, the poster could have been conversing with politicians.

That is true, too. Thank you.