PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 2/18-2/24

pfrduke
02-18-2019, 01:19 AM
Just three weeks left in conference play, and only 7 teams can feel at all comfortable about where they are. Those 7 have a healthy number of tough matchups this week, so the top of the conference could see some significant movement over the next few days. And pour one out for Clemson. Nothing is officially over, of course, but back-to-back one-point road losses at this point in the year is kind of heartbreaking.

Monday

[12]Virginia Tech (9-4) (+2) hosts [2]Virginia (10-2) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday

[79]Notre Dame (3-9) (-11) hosts [187]Wake Forest (2-10) (7:00, ESPNU)
[30]Clemson (5-7) (-1) hosts [20]Florida State (8-4) (9:00, ESPNU)

Wednesday

[43]Syracuse (8-4) (+1) hosts [14]Louisville (9-4) (7:00, ESPN)
[35]NC State (6-7) (-11) hosts [112]Boston College (4-8) (7:00, ACCNE)
[1]Duke (11-1) (-11) hosts [8]North Carolina (10-2) (9:00, ESPN)
[109]Georgia Tech (3-10) (-1) hosts [81]Pittsburgh (2-11) (9:00, ACCNE)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday

[14]Louisville (9-4) (+4) hosts [2]Virginia (10-2) (12:00, ACCNE)
[30]Clemson (5-7) (-11) hosts [112]Boston College (4-8) (12:00, ACCNE)
[74]Miami (3-10) (-6) hosts [109]Georgia Tech (3-10) (2:00, ACCNE)
[8]North Carolina (10-2) (-8) hosts [20]Florida State (8-4) (3:45)
[79]Notre Dame (3-9) (+6) hosts [12]Virginia Tech (9-4) (4:00)
[43]Syracuse (8-4) (+12) hosts [1]Duke (11-1) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday

[35]NC State (6-7) (-17) hosts [187]Wake Forest (2-10) (6:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference: 149-41
ACC vs. Power 5: 30-26

Efficiency margin (unadjusted) in conference play only:

Virginia - +19.6
Duke - +16.7
North Carolina - +14.7
Louisville - +12.5
Florida State - +8.6
Virginia Tech - +6.9
Clemson - +2.9
Syracuse - +1.4
NC State - -4.4
Miami - -8.5
Boston College - -9.3
Pittsburgh - -10.9
Notre Dame - -11.3
Georgia Tech - -14.0
Wake Forest - -24.1

JasonEvans
02-18-2019, 09:05 AM
[12]Virginia Tech (9-4) (+2) hosts [2]Virginia (10-2) (7:00, ESPN)

Huge game tonight in VT's quest for the double-bye. Any word on when Justin Robinson might come back? Probably not until the 26th, right?

MChambers
02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Huge game tonight in VT's quest for the double-bye. Any word on when Justin Robinson might come back? Probably not until the 26th, right?

Probably comes back the game before that, so that he’s fully ready for the Blue Devils.

SavDukeGrad
02-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Did anyone else notice that College Gameday is going to be at Syracuse for our game next Saturday? This is the 6th week of College Gameday this season, and 3 of the 6 games have featured Duke - the UVA game at Cameron, at UVA, and now at Syracuse. That’s 50% of their featured games! The Duke Effect!

I suppose we should say 4 out of 7, since they will be at Cameron for a mid-week version for the Carolina game I believe.

In fairness, I guess I should point out that they have been to Kentucky twice - for the Kansas and Tennessee games. But heck, who wants to be fair... Go Duke!!!

Wahoo2000
02-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Did anyone else notice that College Gameday is going to be at Syracuse for our game next Saturday? This is the 6th week of College Gameday this season, and 3 of the 6 games have featured Duke - the UVA game at Cameron, at UVA, and now at Syracuse. That’s 50% of their featured games! The Duke Effect!

I suppose we should say 4 out of 7, since they will be at Cameron for a mid-week version for the Carolina game I believe.

In fairness, I guess I should point out that they have been to Kentucky twice - for the Kansas and Tennessee games. But heck, who wants to be fair... Go Duke!!!

That % seems waaaaaay too low given the apparent mandate from "ZSPN" to be "all Zion, all the time". (to note: I'm not complaining, just noting that ESPN's financial woes have become oh-so-apparent in their "ratings are the ONLY thing that matter" approach to sports coverage and "reporting" over the last couple years)

AGDukesky
02-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Virginia not sharp on offense and VT missing a ton of open 3s despite being one of the best teams beyond the arc

DU82
02-18-2019, 07:47 PM
How many teams lately have worn colors instead of white at home?

-jk
02-18-2019, 07:48 PM

Football school!

-jk

ncexnyc
02-18-2019, 08:02 PM
Strange game so far. VT has moved the ball really well, but can't buy a 3pt basket.

AGDukesky
02-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Strange game so far. VT has moved the ball really well, but can't buy a 3pt basket.

While everything Guy shoots goes in even if it has to hit the backboard...

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2019, 08:06 PM

More and more common in NBA, in NHL....and now in college.....

robed deity
02-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Virginia fortunate I thought. A lot of those VT looks from 3 were decent.

curtis325
02-18-2019, 09:14 PM

3 for 27. Don't worry, in 8 days they will be 15-27.

ncexnyc
02-18-2019, 09:16 PM
When your bread and butter is supposedly 3pt shooting, 3 of 27 doesn't cut it. VT did a nice job of moving the ball for open looks, but couldn't buy a basket. Solid win for UVA, but Jerome still doesn't look quiet right.

ElliottHoo
02-18-2019, 09:29 PM
I'm a UVA fan so it pains me to say anything nice about VT, but they played a heck of a good game. Great ball movement, tenacious D and they played hard to the end despite having 4(!) guys play 40 minutes. If they weren't down so many players they'd be a top 10 team.

devildeac
02-18-2019, 10:01 PM
3 for 27. Don't worry, in 8 days they will be 15-27.

At least :eek:!

:mad::mad:

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2019, 10:03 PM

They're saving them for us...

jhmoss1812
02-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Fortunate to beat VT last night. Blackshear played his butt off for them but they couldn't hit from 3. Maybe they should turn the lights on in their own gym.

Crazy stat I heard today - UVA has three players (Jerome, Guy, and Hunter) that are averaging at least 42% from 3 with 4 rebounds per game and 2 assists per game. That is more than the entire Big 10, Big 12, and SEC have combined.

sagegrouse
02-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Fortunate to beat VT last night. Blackshear played his butt off for them but they couldn't hit from 3. Maybe they should turn the lights on in their own gym.

Crazy stat I heard today - UVA has three players (Jerome, Guy, and Hunter) that are averaging at least 42% from 3 with 4 rebounds per game and 2 assists per game. That is more than the entire Big 10, Big 12, and SEC have combined.

I was ready to write off Kyle Guy earlier this season as someone who had peaked and was now in decline. He's played very well the past few games.

Phredd3
02-19-2019, 04:55 PM
I was ready to write off Kyle Guy earlier this season as someone who had peaked and was now in decline. He's played very well the past few games.

And I think he's a difficult player to hate. He plays clean, doesn't talk trash or showboat (and least not overtly), and he's almost always smiling and seems to be having a genuinely good time out there. His play is completely different than Zion, obviously, but they seem to have those traits in common.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2019, 05:02 PM
And I think he's a difficult player to hate. He plays clean, doesn't talk trash or showboat (and least not overtly), and he's almost always smiling and seems to be having a genuinely good time out there. His play is completely different than Zion, obviously, but they seem to have those traits in common.

I agree....very pleasant demeanor from what we can tell on TV. Impossible to hate...well, with the man-bun it was easier to hate him....:o

DukieInBrasil
02-19-2019, 07:07 PM

although i'm hesitant to get too excited about stats that have that many caveats, that one does demonstrate a certain amount of versatility. To wit, Duke doesn't have any players that can match that stat.

NSDukeFan
02-19-2019, 07:33 PM
although i'm hesitant to get too excited about stats that have that many caveats, that one does demonstrate a certain amount of versatility. To wit, Duke doesn't have any players that can match that stat.

Duke would first need to have a player shooting 40% from 3.

OldPhiKap
02-19-2019, 07:50 PM

I don’t think I’ve hated a UVA player since atom Sheehey.

But my dislike for him can last a generation, so that seems about right.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2019, 09:27 PM
I don’t think I’ve hated a UVA player since atom Sheehey.

But my dislike for him can last a generation, so that seems about right.

have you considered Ty Jerome?

ElliottHoo
02-20-2019, 12:00 AM
As a fan of an opposing team, Zion is really frustrating. Not only is he insanely talented, but you also can’t even hate him properly because he seems like a really good guy.

I can’t recall who first said it, but someone a while back observed that if Ty Jerome played for Duke he’d be the most hated player in the game. Its not that he plays dirty, its just his whole attitude would grate on people if not for the residual aura of saintliness projected over the team by Bennett.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-20-2019, 08:36 AM
As a fan of an opposing team, Zion is really frustrating. Not only is he insanely talented, but you also can’t even hate him properly because he seems like a really good guy.

I can’t recall who first said it, but someone a while back observed that if Ty Jerome played for Duke he’d be the most hated player in the game. Its not that he plays dirty, its just his whole attitude would grate on people if not for the residual aura of saintliness projected over the team by Bennett.

I think there were at least two of us who chimed in with the "if Jerome played for Duke" theory.....and the hatred of some Duke player is really more perception than anything else. I mean perception on the part of the haters....who think they "know" a kid from watching them play on TV. The hatred is real.

As for Zion, I told a Gamecock buddy of mine before the season (and he is a Duke hater for reasons he cannot put into words) that he needed to get over it, that Zion was going to be a big problem for Duke haters.....because he's awesome, he's must see TV, and IMPOSSIBLE to hate. I said it would drive the haters crazy.....

Sounds like you have that love Zion/hate Duke frustration......

AGDukesky
02-20-2019, 08:40 PM
N.C. State has blown its lead on BC and now trails at home with 6 minutes left. That would be a terrible loss...

HereBeforeCoachK
02-20-2019, 08:49 PM
N.C. State has blown its lead on BC and now trails at home with 6 minutes left. That would be a terrible loss...

...yep, meanwhile L'ville laying a total egg at Cuse - getting killed - in an arena where GT won easily.

Bob Green
02-23-2019, 06:57 AM
Saturday

[14]Louisville (9-4) (+4) hosts [2]Virginia (10-2) (12:00, ACCNE)
[30]Clemson (5-7) (-11) hosts [112]Boston College (4-8) (12:00, ACCNE)
[74]Miami (3-10) (-6) hosts [109]Georgia Tech (3-10) (2:00, ACCNE)
[8]North Carolina (10-2) (-8) hosts [20]Florida State (8-4) (3:45)
[79]Notre Dame (3-9) (+6) hosts [12]Virginia Tech (9-4) (4:00)
[43]Syracuse (8-4) (+12) hosts [1]Duke (11-1) (6:00, ESPN)

Bump back to the top to facilitate discussions on another action packed Saturday.

left_hook_lacey
02-23-2019, 08:08 AM
I think UNC comes into the FSU game a little emotionally fatigued and maybe a tinge overconfident. FSU is huge, as we saw earlier in the year. Maye and Brooks will struggle. If the outside shots aren't falling, they could be on upset alert.

I have no idea what kind of energy Syracuse will come out with. That's a sad story all the way around. Just hope we come ready to play, get a solid win and get out of there.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 09:14 AM
I think UNC comes into the FSU game a little emotionally fatigued and maybe a tinge overconfident. FSU is huge, as we saw earlier in the year. Maye and Brooks will struggle. If the outside shots aren't falling, they could be on upset alert.

I have no idea what kind of energy Syracuse will come out with. That's a sad story all the way around. Just hope we come ready to play, get a solid win and get out of there.

I'm trying to convince myself that you're right about UNC FSU today....I had that idea, but I hadn't separated the "want" and the "really think" brain cells yet.

As for Duke Cuse...who knows? Duke had the trauma of the Cam/Tre losses in the first game....the trauma of 9 for 43.....the trauma of 0-10.....the 85 foot shot for Cuse.....then of course, Duke had the trauma of losing Z and worrying about how long.....and then the biggest trauma of all, the tragic car accident. This is the all time bad karma game. The X's and O's of how Duke plays without Zion would be the big factor in almost any other game.......but in this one there's so much emotional baggage to navigate.

Rich
02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to convince myself that you're right about UNC FSU today...I had that idea, but I hadn't separated the "want" and the "really think" brain cells yet.

As for Duke Cuse...who knows? Duke had the trauma of the Cam/Tre losses in the first game...the trauma of 9 for 43...the trauma of 0-10...the 85 foot shot for Cuse...then of course, Duke had the trauma of losing Z and worrying about how long...and then the biggest trauma of all, the tragic car accident. This is the all time bad karma game. The X's and O's of how Duke plays without Zion would be the big factor in almost any other game...but in this one there's so much emotional baggage to navigate.

Driving up to Syracuse today to go to the game with a buddy (Syracuse alum), brother-in-law (Syracuse law alum), nephew (Syracuse student), and my sister (wife and mother of Syracuse people). I went two years ago when we lost on a buzzer beater. Oh, and there may be a few other Orange fans in the Carrier Dome today. Damn, do I want redemption...wish me luck!

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Louisville looking good so far against UVA. Hope that doesn’t jinx them.

robed deity
02-23-2019, 12:48 PM
The 'ville with 10 3's in the half. UVA 0-10. Gotta think that will even out at least a bit. I'm predicting a Cav victory.

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2019, 12:52 PM
The 'ville with 10 3's in the half. UVA 0-10. Gotta think that will even out at least a bit. I'm predicting a Cav victory.

Unfortunately I think you’re probably right about an eventual UVa victory, since I think we broke Louisville. But one can hope... Go Cards (and I rarely ever say that!)

Edit to add: Louisville with a 10 point halftime lead.

richardjackson199
02-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Go UVA! They are a class program with a class coach. Cheats can wear their no class T-shirts while their players go to no class.

But I'm not cheering for a historic cheat program Louisville against UVA regardless. To each their own.

mapei
02-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Agree. Go 'hoos.

devildeac
02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
Go UVA! They are a class program with a class coach. Cheats can wear their no class T-shirts while their players go to no class.

But I'm not cheering for a historic cheat program Louisville against UVA regardless. To each their own.

Yea, this is a tough one. A loovil win helps us (I think), but, it also helps the cheats and another dishonest program, so my leaning is "Go Cavs," too.

richardjackson199
02-23-2019, 01:42 PM
UVA is a machine. Good guys win.

devildeac
02-23-2019, 01:44 PM
UVA is a machine. Good guys win.

Yea, so much for the cheatin' cards with 13 points in 17 minutes in the second half. :eek:

CDu
02-23-2019, 01:47 PM
Louisville looking good so far against UVA. Hope that doesn’t jinx them.

Honestly, I would rather UVa keep winning. Don’t want UNC to have a chance at the regular season title. And we hold the tiebreakers with UVa anyway. I don’t want the UNC rematch to decide whether we win the ACC regular season or UNC does. I want it to decide whether we win it or UVa does.

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2019, 01:53 PM
UVA’s remaining games are Ga Tech, Pitt, and Louisville at home, and Syracuse away. They will be favored in all those matchups. I think this victory today assures UVA of, at least, a share of the regular season title. And possibly the outright title.

Duke07
02-23-2019, 02:28 PM
I know I'm looking ahead but even if we stay on the 1 line for the NCAAT, it might come down to us v. UVA for the East 1 seed v. South 1 seed in Louisville w/ UK as the potential 2..

Wahoo2000
02-23-2019, 02:42 PM
UVA’s remaining games are Ga Tech, Pitt, and Louisville at home, and Syracuse away. They will be favored in all those matchups. I think this victory today assures UVA of, at least, a share of the regular season title. And possibly the outright title.

That Cuse game is a wildcard. The length on that zone this year..... man. If Guy and Jerome shoot it like they did today, that's a loss. Doubt we dominate the paint at Cuse like we did at Louisville today.

Will enjoy seeing how Duke attacks the Cuse defense tonight. Hoping that Duke can expose some things for Bennett and staff to take advantage of.

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2019, 02:43 PM
I know I'm looking ahead but even if we stay on the 1 line for the NCAAT, it might come down to us v. UVA for the East 1 seed v. South 1 seed in Louisville w/ UK as the potential 2..

This was one of several reasons I held my nose and pulled for Louisville. The East region is far preferable than the South this year imo.

dukelifer
02-23-2019, 02:54 PM
Honestly, I would rather UVa keep winning. Don’t want UNC to have a chance at the regular season title. And we hold the tiebreakers with UVa anyway. I don’t want the UNC rematch to decide whether we win the ACC regular season or UNC does. I want it to decide whether we win it or UVa does.

I agree. I am fine with UVa taking it if Duke doesn't.

Wahoo2000
02-23-2019, 02:58 PM
This was one of several reasons I held my nose and pulled for Louisville. The East region is far preferable than the South this year imo.

Looking at the remaining schedules, I think UK overtakes Tenn for a 1.

Besides, why worry about your #2? It feels like the regional finals are NEVER 1v2 anymore.

though our (UVA) failures may have something to do with that........ :(

tteettimes
02-23-2019, 02:58 PM
What’s that I’m hearing....ABC....ABC....ABC.....ABC....GTHCGTH... ..GTHcGTH 😈😈

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Looking at the remaining schedules, I think UK overtakes Tenn for a 1.

Besides, why worry about your #2? It feels like the regional finals are NEVER 1v2 anymore.

though our (UVA) failures may have something to do with that... :(

You are correct, the regional finals are RARELY 1 v 2 anymore. Except in 2018, there was one regional final that was 1 v 2 - Duke vs Kansas. So I guess it feels more likely to me.

There are just a few teams I hope Duke can avoid in the NCAA tournament, and UK (especially in Kentucky) is at the top of my list.

But you may be right - UK may overtake Tenn for a 1, which will make regional seeding for Duke and UVA interesting.

Wahoo2000
02-23-2019, 03:25 PM
You are correct, the regional finals are RARELY 1 v 2 anymore. Except in 2018, there was one regional final that was 1 v 2 - Duke vs Kansas. So I guess it feels more likely to me.

There are just a few teams I hope Duke can avoid in the NCAA tournament, and UK (especially in Kentucky) is at the top of my list.

But you may be right - UK may overtake Tenn for a 1, which will make regional seeding for Duke and UVA interesting.

I think if the 1 seeds end up being Duke/UVA/KY/Zags, it's pretty simple-

Zags out west
KY in Louisville
Duke in the east
UVA gets the midwest

Only real caveat to this is if Duke loses more than one more game, and UVA wins the ACC tournament. Then UVA prob takes DC. That's the only scenario I see for that to happen though.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 03:44 PM

....and you know the committee will make sure Duke and Kentucky are together as early as possible (probably Elite 8)......

But wait, the NCAA doesn't take things like that into consideration, remember....? /s

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Noles look terrible so far against the Cheats. Missing jump shots, standing around on defensive rebounds, missing lay ups, making dumb fouls.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Noles look terrible so far against the Cheats. Missing jump shots, standing around on defensive rebounds, missing lay ups, making dumb fouls.
Cheaters as good as ever at stepping under jump shooters as they come down. :mad:

jv001
02-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Cheaters as good as ever at stepping under jump shooters as they come down. :mad:

The Dean Smith way. GoDuke!

Duke07
02-23-2019, 04:43 PM
It's not just the idea of having UK as our 2- having to play in Louisville for the S16 as well w/ the arena filled w/ BBN isn't very appealing.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-23-2019, 05:02 PM
It's not just the idea of having UK as our 2- having to play in Louisville for the S16 as well w/ the arena filled w/ BBN isn't very appealing.
Worked out pretty well in Nov...

devildeac
02-23-2019, 05:07 PM

And, that surprises no one. :rolleyes:

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 05:14 PM
And, that surprises no one. :rolleyes:

They have rallied twice, but between their brain dead plays and the refs, the Cheats keep pulling back away

dukelifer
02-23-2019, 05:30 PM
They have rallied twice, but between their brain dead plays and the refs, the Cheats keep pulling back away

Not liking what I am seeing from uNC.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-23-2019, 05:31 PM
Not liking what I am seeing from uNC.

Yeah, this was Nassir's coming out party.

Meanwhile, Phil Cofer, who averages I think about 25 against Duke, has 2 today.

CDu
02-24-2019, 07:54 PM
State getting it done against Wake at home. This win will move them to 20-8 and 8-7 in conference. They have a road game against FSU, a home game against Georgia Tech, and a road game at BC. Win 2 of those 3 and they should be in good shape for the NCAA tournament. Lose 2 of 3 and they'll be sweating things out.

UrinalCake
02-24-2019, 10:02 PM
I decided to put together a quick table to see if my inherent bias is deceiving me or whether the CHeats really do have a ridiculously easy conference schedule this season. Here's what I came up with:

CHeats UVA Duke
UVA: H - x2
Duke: x2 x2 -
CHeats: - R x2
VT: H x2 R
FSU: H H R
Cuse: H R x2
Lville: x2 x2 R
NCSU: x2 R H
Clemson: R R H
BC: R R H
Miami: x2 H H
GT: R H H
ND: H x2 R
Wake: R H x2
Pitt: R H R

Those are the teams ranked in order of standing as of today. Other than us, the CHeats play the top four opponents once each, and all at home. The teams that they play only on the road are all in the bottom half of the conference. Furthermore, UVA and VT were both on 48 hour turnaround before having to travel to Chapel Hell.

Our schedule is fairly similar to UVA's, except that we have to play the CHeats twice. We did get the benefit of Wake twice and road-only against bottom feeders ND and Pitt. But we didn't get any home-only games against anybody in the top half of the conference. And we have two instances where we play back to back road games on short turnarounds (including this tuesday @VT).

I get that things will rotate and that we had an easier schedule last season. But man, if you were trying to construct an inherent advantage for one team, you'd be hard-pressed to do it any better than what the CHeats get this year.

ChrisP
02-24-2019, 11:06 PM
I decided to put together a quick table to see if my inherent bias is deceiving me or whether the CHeats really do have a ridiculously easy conference schedule this season. Here's what I came up with:

CHeats UVA Duke
UVA: H - x2
Duke: x2 x2 -
CHeats: - R x2
VT: H x2 R
FSU: H H R
Cuse: H R x2
Lville: x2 x2 R
NCSU: x2 R H
Clemson: R R H
BC: R R H
Miami: x2 H H
GT: R H H
ND: H x2 R
Wake: R H x2
Pitt: R H R

Those are the teams ranked in order of standing as of today. Other than us, the CHeats play the top four opponents once each, and all at home. The teams that they play only on the road are all in the bottom half of the conference. Furthermore, UVA and VT were both on 48 hour turnaround before having to travel to Chapel Hell.

Our schedule is fairly similar to UVA's, except that we have to play the CHeats twice. We did get the benefit of Wake twice and road-only against bottom feeders ND and Pitt. But we didn't get any home-only games against anybody in the top half of the conference. And we have two instances where we play back to back road games on short turnarounds (including this tuesday @VT).

I get that things will rotate and that we had an easier schedule last season. But man, if you were trying to construct an inherent advantage for one team, you'd be hard-pressed to do it any better than what the CHeats get this year.

Agree that CHeaters have it pretty easy - compared to both Duke & UVA. I made a similar table (but not savvy enough to include it here, sorry) and I believe F$U has it REALLY easy as they get the 4 bottom teams twice each! Even so...as someone pointed out upthread, Phil "Bootsy" Cofer lays an egg for most every opponent not named "Duke" and Free Shoes U finds lots of head scratching ways to lose, typically so not sure their easy schedule matters that much.