PDA

View Full Version : Can Zion pop a fully inflated basketball?

bluedevilsince72
02-14-2019, 05:08 PM
Based on the picture of Zion denting the basketball vs Louisville, does anyone think its possible that he can pop a basketball?

How unreal would it be to see that? Like Bo Jackson breaking the bat over his leg like a twig, I'd love to see Zion just get really mad in a game and pop a ball.

Internet would explode.

BandAlum83
02-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Based on the picture of Zion denting the basketball vs Louisville, does anyone think its possible that he can pop a basketball?

How unreal would it be to see that? Like Bo Jackson breaking the bat over his leg like a twig, I'd love to see Zion just get really mad in a game and pop a ball.

Internet would explode.

Zion never gets mad. That's one of the things I love about him. He puts it in his play. That where he proves it. As his mom says:

"Yes! That's how you do it!"

I would never want to see him get mad like that. It's not who he is.

AZLA
02-14-2019, 05:40 PM

Internet would explode.

We should find wisdom with The Mountain in Game of Thrones.

It took use of both his hands to effectively crush Oberyn's dome.

Based on this 100% scientific correlation, while I would like to think Zion can crush the basketball, with one hand, it would probably take two hands.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Internet would explode.

almost assuredly not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhIxMlcuQZU&t=10m20s

BandAlum83
02-14-2019, 06:10 PM
almost assuredly not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhIxMlcuQZU&t=10m20s

While interesting, I cant feel comfortable with the results of that demonstration given the logo on the sweatshirt of the tester.

-jk
02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
While interesting, I cant feel comfortable with the results of that demonstration given the logo on the sweatshirt of the tester.

That and it doesn't appear to be a regulation basketball.

-jk

BandAlum83
02-14-2019, 06:14 PM

-jk

There had to be a cheat in there somewhere!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Another thought is.....if Tom Brady had Zion's strength - especially grip strength - would he have not needed to deflate?

quahog174
02-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Another thought is....if Tom Brady had Zion's strength - especially grip strength - would he have not needed to deflate?

Hater. GOAT 6.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 07:16 PM

-jk

yeah i saw...i imagine the leather regulation balls are stiffer than just rubber.... and would more effectively prevent hernias (for lack of a better word) from forming on the bladder.

UrinalCake
02-14-2019, 07:26 PM
A basketball is 9.23” in diameter, which means the surface area is 4*pi*(9.23/2)^2 = 267.64 square inches. A ball is inflated to about 8 PSI, so it would take 2141 pounds of force to crush a ball. Assuming we are on earth (which is debatable when it comes to Zion), that’s roughly a ton.

I’m sure that’s not even remotely correct, but my guess is that even Zion isn’t strong enough to do it.

wavedukefan70s
02-14-2019, 07:35 PM
It takes about 500 pounds or so to crush a skull.average guy can apply 200 pounds.(I looked this up a while ago when Oberyn skull was crushed.)
I believe a basketball with its elasticity is harder to crush.a chimpanzee is about 4 times stronger than a man.i haven't seen one crush a soccer ball.i doubt he could.i would think it would take 1000 to 1500 pounds depending on the method used.ive seen softballs hold up 10000 pounds.we put it under a container at work.it was dented but not crushed.

DU82
02-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Science when talking about Zion?

If he really wanted to, he would. Just like Chuck Norris.

Fish80
02-14-2019, 07:50 PM
A gator or a crocodile could pop a basketball.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 07:57 PM
A basketball is 9.23” in diameter, which means the surface area is 4*pi*(9.23/2)^2 = 267.64 square inches. A ball is inflated to about 8 PSI, so it would take 2141 pounds of force to crush a ball. Assuming we are on earth (which is debatable when it comes to Zion), that’s roughly a ton.

I’m sure that’s not even remotely correct, but my guess is that even Zion isn’t strong enough to do it.

not quite right since you only need to apply pressure on a small surface area of the ball, and the pressure will increase as soon as you compress it.

the compelling factor, stiffness of the leather aside, is the pressure increases exponentially as the volume of the ball decreases.

in the end all the matters is the pressure at which the ball bursts, and can Zion apply the force to achieve that.

there is a yt video where a guy inflates a ball to 100 psi and it pops when he slams it. if we take that as a rough guess, and say Zions hands are 3x8, that's 50 square inches of contact.... so back of the napkin, it takes a couple tons of force.

fraggler
02-14-2019, 08:00 PM
not quite right since you only need to apply pressure on a small surface area of the ball, and the pressure will increase as soon as you compress it.

the compelling factor, stiffness of the leather aside, is the pressure increases exponentially as the volume of the ball decreases.

in the end all the matters is the pressure at which the ball bursts, and can Zion apply the force to achieve that.

there is a yt video where a guy inflates a ball to 100 psi and it pops when he slams it. if we take that as a rough guess, and say Zions hands are 3x8, that's 50 square inches of contact... so back of the napkin, it takes a couple tons of force.

So, yes?

Fish80
02-14-2019, 08:12 PM
So, yes?

So, no. You can drive over a b-ball and it does not pop.

MChambers
02-14-2019, 08:21 PM
So, no. You can drive over a b-ball and it does not pop.

Zion laughs at the laws of physics!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Based on this 100% scientific correlation, while I would like to think Zion can crush the basketball, with one hand, it would probably take two hands.

Hey hey hey... SPOILER ALERT MUCH?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2019, 07:31 AM

....Einstein's Theory of Zion Relativity.....

Troublemaker
02-15-2019, 08:36 AM

It takes about 500 pounds or so to crush a skull.average guy can apply 200 pounds.(I looked this up a while ago when Oberyn skull was crushed.)
I believe a basketball with its elasticity is harder to crush.a chimpanzee is about 4 times stronger than a man.i haven't seen one crush a soccer ball.i doubt he could.i would think it would take 1000 to 1500 pounds depending on the method used.ive seen softballs hold up 10000 pounds.we put it under a container at work.it was dented but not crushed.

Hey hey hey... SPOILER ALERT MUCH?

It's a couple of minor characters so not much of a spoiler. And, if anyone has not watched the show, they won't remember this conversation by the time they see the scene. It's just interesting to me that two people independently thought of the same scene when talking about Zion crushing a basketball.

Anyway, this thread and the one talking UNC-Duke are nice diversions, but we really need to get back to the pre-game thread and focus on the Wyatt Walker that will be attacking Duke tomorrow. I would guess the Wyatt Walker is about 25 miles from the walls of Cameron right now. By tomorrow evening, it'll be right outside the wall!

Fish80
02-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Think of it this way, an average human can:
1) Pop a cheap balloon with his or her hands
2) Squish a cantaloupe with his or her hands (if they are big and strong)
3) Not even dent a coconut with his or her bare hands

The key differentiator here is the material of the object being crushed. We need a materials science engineer to opine on the tensile strength of a Men's NCAA basketball.

Surely, one of our DBR posters dabbles in materials science. Maybe Old Ficus knows someone who knows someone?

uh_no
02-15-2019, 11:25 AM
Think of it this way, an average human can:
1) Pop a cheap balloon with his or her hands
2) Squish a cantaloupe with his or her hands (if they are big and strong)
3) Not even dent a coconut with his or her bare hands

The key differentiator here is the material of the object being crushed. We need a materials science engineer to opine on the tensile strength of a Men's NCAA basketball.

Surely, one of our DBR posters dabbles in materials science. Maybe Old Ficus knows someone who knows someone?

an evacuated basketball is pliable, so we're somewhere between a balloon and a canteloupe.

NSDukeFan
02-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, so does Kyrie ?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-15-2019, 11:39 AM
It's a couple of minor characters so not much of a spoiler. And, if anyone has not watched the show, they won't remember this conversation by the time they see the scene. It's just interesting to me that two people independently thought of the same scene when talking about Zion crushing a basketball.

Anyway, this thread and the one talking UNC-Duke are nice diversions, but we really need to get back to the pre-game thread and focus on the Wyatt Walker that will be attacking Duke tomorrow. I would guess the Wyatt Walker is about 25 miles from the walls of Cameron right now. By tomorrow evening, it'll be right outside the wall!

I was 95% joking. The wife and I are rrwatching GoT in advance of the final season and just last night had the Red Wedding. We need to step up our pace of consumption.

Troublemaker
02-15-2019, 12:55 PM
I was 95% joking. The wife and I are rrwatching GoT in advance of the final season and just last night had the Red Wedding. We need to step up our pace of consumption.

Gotcha. Interestingly, widespread references to the "Red Wedding" is probably one of the biggest spoilers of my lifetime. I had knew there was something called the "Red Wedding" before I ever binge-watched GoT, and when the moment came, the impact was lessened so much because I was able to say, "Oh crud, this is probably it." I wished it had been constantly referenced as "The Thing That Happened" (or something like that) instead.

JayZee
02-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Why even talk about this when we already know, if you watched the Canada games, that Zion can't even rip a loonie?

CameronBornAndBred
02-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Internet would explode.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

(And, as noted by BandAlum, Zion is wonderful in his composure.)

blUDAYvil
02-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Bringing some evidence to the debate...

uh_no
02-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Bringing some evidence to the debate...

ah...so he can also rip the rim off the stanchion.

AZLA
02-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Well played. Wyatt Walker 😁.

GOT may also be on the brain due to Bud Light Super Bowl commercial when The Mt. takes out the blue knight.

Oh no, I’m being controlled by corporate marketing!

curtis325
02-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Patrick Davidson can explode a medicine ball, using only his pinky fingers.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-16-2019, 06:58 AM
A gator or a crocodile could pop a basketball.
But a StrayGator could not! LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately, so does Kyrie ?

ba-da-bum - clang