PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. NC State (Sat 2/16, 6:00 p.m. EST, ESPN) Pre- and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
02-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Now that the excitement of the epic comeback has died down just a little, it's time to turn some of our attention to the big matchup with the NC State Wolfpack this weekend.

The Wolfpack come into this game riding a 2-game win streak over Pittsburgh and Syracuse. This followed a 3-game losing streak to some of the best in the ACC, including Virginia, VA Tech, and UNC. The latter two of those had to have been the two most diametrically opposed outcomes in modern college basketball. NC State put up a clunker on offense, only scoring 24 points against VA Tech and then dropped 96 points on UNC the next game, only to lose by 17!

On top of all that, there has been drama behind the scenes. Last night, senior reserve Eric Lockett (6'5" G) was charged with assaulting his girlfriend. Although the victim apparently wants the charges dropped. Lockett was suspended for the game against Syracuse and I assume won't play this weekend, either. On top of that, because misery loves company, high-profile Kentucky transfer Sacha Killeya-Jones is apparently not with the team anymore for unspecified reasons. He was not playing this year as he sat out due to transfer rules.

The short-handed Wolfpack are also pretty short of stature. Their top 6 scorers are all 6'5" or below. The two players with any size include sophomore D.J. Funderburk, 6'10" (what a name!) and senior Wyatt Walker, 6'9" (also a pretty cool name, to be honest). Both Funderburk and Walker are capable post players.

The real strength of the team is their press. Led by junior guards C.J. Bryce (6'5") and Markell Johnson (6'1"), senior Torin Dorn (6'5"), and sophomore Braxton Beverly (6'0"), the Wolpack love to get in the face of the opposing point guards and force bad decisions. They are a deep team and play a fast pace, 23rd fastest tempo in the nation. They shoot a very good rate, especially Beverly, but prefer to drive to the hoop. Dorn and Beverly are sort of yin-and-yang teammates. Beverly loves to take the 3 while Dorn loves to put the ball on the deck and get to the hoop. Unfortunately for Dorn, he has been horrid from the free-throw line, hitting just 58.4% from the charity stripe. With a lot of jumpers, they generate a lot of long rebounds. That helps explain why this height-challenge squad is 12th in the nation in offensive rebound rate. Funderburk and Walker are particularly efficient on the offensive glass, although no one is that bad in that area. Dorn is quite good at rebounding for his size.

This should be a good matchup for Duke. Duke has a size advantage at nearly every position, in particular on the wings. And NC State struggles to defend inside the arc, where Duke is particularly potent. It should be an up-tempo game, further fueling the Duke advantage. Who do they have that can guard Zion? I expect that Funderburk and Walker will get into foul trouble. While Duke should win this easily, it is also possible that NC State catches fire from 3 and catches Duke looking ahead to the Wednesday night showdown with North Carolina. As long as Duke comes out focused, I expect a relatively comfortable win. Let's Go Duke!

jv001
02-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Thanks for this thread, David. I watched a good part of the Pack's win over Cuse. Beverly looks to be a good 3 point shooter with range, Dorn and Daniels drove the ball when given the opportunity. They did a great job of getting the ball to a man at the foul line against the Cuse zone and that gave the Wolfpack plenty of opportunities for easy shots. They are very quick and get up and down the court in a flash. If we come out sluggish and give them confidence, this could be a close game. However, I believe our coaching staff will have drilled that thought home by game time. GoDuke!

Truth&Justise
02-14-2019, 10:23 AM
The real strength of the team is their press. Led by junior guards C.J. Bryce (6'5") and Markell Johnson (6'1"), senior Torin Dorn (6'5"), and sophomore Braxton Beverly (6'0"), the Wolpack love to get in the face of the opposing point guards and force bad decisions. They are a deep team and play a fast pace, 23rd fastest tempo in the nation. They shoot a very good rate, especially Beverly, but prefer to drive to the hoop. Dorn and Beverly are sort of yin-and-yang teammates. Beverly loves to take the 3 while Dorn loves to put the ball on the deck and get to the hoop. Unfortunately for Dorn, he has been horrid from the free-throw line, hitting just 58.4% from the charity stripe. With a lot of jumpers, they generate a lot of long rebounds. That helps explain why this height-challenge squad is 12th in the nation in offensive rebound rate. Funderburk and Walker are particularly efficient on the offensive glass, although no one is that bad in that area. Dorn is quite good at rebounding for his size.

For those wondering where they've heard the name "C.J. Bryce" before, recall that he played against Duke in the opening round of the 2016 NCAA tournament, when he (and current NC State coach Kevin Keatts) were at UNC-Wilmington.

Here's the box score. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2016-03-17-duke.html)

UNC-Willmington liked to play fast and fouled a ton, and that's pretty much what happened. In a foul fest, Bryce had a pretty good game, putting up 16 points (on just 8 shots) and 8 rebounds. After Keatts took the NC State job, Bryce followed him, and sat out last year as a transfer.

Interesting tidbit from that 2016 game: little used freshman Devontae Cacok, who managed to foul out in just seven minutes of playing time, has since blossomed into a CAA star, who led all of NCAA basketball with 13.5 rebounds per game last year.

gocanes0506
02-14-2019, 10:36 AM
I expect any and all teams who play us to play a zone / a variation of pack line. The boys need to play hard defense to start the offense and maybe hit a couple of threes early. Also run the offense through Zion. Let him post up and go to work. He’ll pass out when the double comes unless he can split like he did against Louisville a couple of times.

With that being said, I suggest a 3/4 court defense or trap, much like I did against Louisville. We might get a couple of steals but the main purpose is to speed them up and cause long rebounds. That is where the offense really starts.

MChambers
02-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Thanks for starting the thread with a great summary, David. It will be interesting to see how Duke handles the press. With four very strong ballhandlers in the starting lineup, I'd expect Duke to shred the press and to make the Wuffies pay by attacking the basket quickly. Has any team pressed Duke this year?

On the other hand, it's interesting to see what a great offensive rebounding team NC State is. Given that Duke usually is not good on the defensive glass, this could be an area for concern.

AGDukesky
02-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Since State frequently plays Duke tough even when it probably should not, I’m expecting a tough game. Not to mention the big game on Wednesday might be a bit of a distraction (hopefully not but it has happened).

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Since State frequently plays Duke tough even when it probably should not,...

This is annoyingly the case....

gocanes0506
02-14-2019, 10:57 AM
This is annoyingly the case...

They have something to prove being the red-headed step child that is constantly over shadowed by the 2 schools close by.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2019, 11:05 AM
They have something to prove being the red-headed step child that is constantly over shadowed by the 2 schools close by.

Yes they do, but historically - they've been much more likely to do that to Duke than to the Cheats.......I think Carolina is in their heads a bit....and sometimes, I think State is in our heads a bit.....

Of course, I was a wee laddie, but I remember the days when Duke was the odd little cousin who couldn't hang with the boys.....Stormin Norman and Dean's Myth hey days....

devildeac
02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
I'm hoping (but not expecting) something akin to 9/54. :rolleyes:

From our honored guests, of course. :o

CDu
02-14-2019, 11:10 AM
After facing a couple of teams who like to slow things down in UVa and Louisville, it's time to switch gears for the two local opponents. State is a lot of fun to watch. They play a fairly hectic style and games can go on wide swings either way. They are top-25 nationally in terms of tempo, so this should be a game with a LOT of possessions. Defensively, they will put a lot of full-court pressure on. They defend the 3pt line well and force a lot of turnovers, but they also commit a lot of fouls (as you might expect from a team that plays an aggressive press). Offensively, they shoot the 3 pretty well and REALLY crash the offensive glass. But they don't draw fouls and they are fairly turnover-prone.

The Pack have played 9 deep for much of the season, although that 9 has recently dropped to 8 with the suspension of Eric Lockett. They play small, with 3 guards and a SF on the floor basically at all times. Of note, the smaller, quicker Cardinals gave us trouble Tuesday night, so that's something to keep an eye on. The Pack are coming off of a really nice win at home against Syracuse, and nearly won at Wisconsin earlier this year. They also took UVa to OT and did beat Auburn So they can compete with almost anyone. Conversely, they lost at Wake, though that was without their best player.

Centers: Wyatt Walker (6'9", 240lb grad transfer from Samford) is the starter. Don't let the ponytail fool you: Walker is a rugged, physical interior player who does a lot of the dirty work for the Pack inside. He pounds the offensive glass and blocks shots. He's not very athletic though, and is extremely foul prone. Coming off the bench is Derek (DJ) Funderburke (6'10", 210lb sophomore transfer from Ohio State). If the name sounds familiar, it should: he's of no relation to Ohio State legend Lawrence Funderburke, but the name and the Ohio and Ohio State roots are uncanny. In terms of game, he's nothing like his almost-namesake. Funderburk is long, lean, and athletic, with a very smooth jumper that extends out to 3pt range. He's the more talented of the two Pack bigs, but comes off the bench as an offensive sub with the second unit. Like Walker, Funderburk pounds the offensive glass and blocks shots well. But he's a legitimate threat playing off ball in their offense.

Forwards: The Pack don't really play many forwards. Jericole Hellems (6'7", 200lb freshman) is the only forward in the rotation. He's a solid role player at this point. Not a superlative athlete, and none of his skills stand out. He plays hard on defense and does a little bit of everything at an okay level. But he's very much a "5th guy on the floor" when he is in there. Still, he provides an important service of 10-15 mpg off the bench for a team that likes to play fast and furious.

Wings: The Pack have a bunch of guys on the wing. The leader is Torin Dorn (6'5", 210lb fifth-year senior via UNC Charlotte). Dorn is an athletic specimen. He's strong, athletic, and knows how to use his frame to his benefit. He's a bulldog on the floor on both ends, and usually takes the toughest non-center assignment for the Pack defensively. I expect he'll have the honor of guarding Zion. Dorn won't back down and will compete his tail off. He's a fantastic rebounder for his size. He's not a great ballhandler, passer, or shooter, but he has a knack for scoring in spite of his skill limitations. I suspect he'll find his way into the league as a role-playing backup wing with the defensive versatility and toughness he provides. And while he isn't a great shooter, he is a bit like Barrett in that he can make 3s from time to time. It's hard not to like this kid. Alongside Dorn is CJ Bryce (6'5", 195lb junior transfer from UNC Wilmington). Bryce was a star for UNCW with Keatts, and transferred to State when Keatts came over. He's not an explosive athlete, but still pretty smooth and athletic. And he epitomizes what Keatts wants to do. Bryce can score in transition and can REALLY shoot. He's a handful on the wing. He's not bad off the dribble, but more dangerous in a catch-and-shoot role. These two guys can really play. Off the bench is Devon Daniels (6'5", 200lb sophomore transfer from Utah). Daniels has been a bit disappointing this year. He was a solid shooter and quality starter as a freshman for the Utes. But he has struggled with his shot this season. He is quite capable of making 3s, but doesn't always take the best shot. He has fallen in love with his floater, but it has varying results. His decision-making limitations are evident in his propensity to turn it over, which is quite high for a wing player. He can get irrationally hot, but can also play the team out of games at times. Lockett (6'5", 195lb grad transfer from FIU and George Mason) would have been the fourth option on the wings, but he's likely to be out with his indefinite suspension. If he plays, Lockett is kind of another Torin Dorn type of player: athletic, physical, aggressive player who can score from a variety of spots on the floor.

Guards: Markell Johnson (6'1", 175lb junior) is arguably the star of the team, the straw that stirs the drink. He came into the ACC as an athletic specimen at PG with terrific dribbling and passing ability but a really weak shooting touch. To his credit, he's addressed the shooting in droves, and is now an elite 3pt shooter. He's also a terrific driver and playmaker. The one big concern with Johnson is that he turns it over A LOT. He has a bad habit of jumping before he decides what to do, and that has led to some sloppy turnovers. He's been in a slump of late after suffering a tailbone injury earlier this season. But he's quite capable of taking over a game. I imagine that Tre Jones will be assigned to Johnson when both are in. And it will be a tough assignment for Jones. Alongside Johnson in the starting lineup is State's other PG, Braxton Beverly (6'0", 180lb sophomore). You may or may not remember Beverly as the guy that committed to Ohio State and went to one summer school lecture before having second-thoughts and going to State. That cost him a few games as the NCAA felt it appropriate to punish a kid for going to class. Since then, Beverly has been a terrific player for the Pack. He's a knockdown shooter who is tough and not bad at getting to the rim despite his size and lack of athleticism. Beverly is a strong kid and doesn't turn it over much, but tends to be the safe player at PG paired with Johnson's playmaker style. The two are a dynamic backcourt pair though, and are each capable of lighting it up on offense or serving as a facilitator.

The Pack are undersized but tenacious. They play like a midmajor but with more talent. They are experienced and tough. Like most teams, though, they tend to play better at home than on the road. We do have an edge in that we have a number of capable ballhandlers/passers, which should reduce the threat of their pressure defense somewhat. But they are the type of team that you can't sleep on once you get a big lead, because they are capable of scoring in bunches with turnovers. Aesthetically, it should be a fun game to watch. Looking forward to it.

Natty_B
02-14-2019, 11:19 AM
This is annoyingly the case...

State will be looking for a three game winning streak against Duke having won the lone meeting the previous two seasons. The year before Duke beat State three teams and the year before that the title team lost to State on the road but annihilated them in the ACC tournament.

DavidBenAkiva
02-14-2019, 11:25 AM
I expect any and all teams who play us to play a zone / a variation of pack line. The boys need to play hard defense to start the offense and maybe hit a couple of threes early. Also run the offense through Zion. Let him post up and go to work. He’ll pass out when the double comes unless he can split like he did against Louisville a couple of times.

With that being said, I suggest a 3/4 court defense or trap, much like I did against Louisville. We might get a couple of steals but the main purpose is to speed them up and cause long rebounds. That is where the offense really starts.

The issue for NC State is that going to zone or pack-line is so out of character for NC State that it might backfire. Slowing the game down is a direct contradiction of their offensive strategy. If they choose to press and Duke breaks it, the back of the zone will be so out of position as to create huge holes for Duke to get to the rim quickly and without much resistance.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2019, 11:56 AM
State will be looking for a three game winning streak against Duke having won the lone meeting the previous two seasons. The year before Duke beat State three teams and the year before that the title team lost to State on the road but annihilated them in the ACC tournament.

I think you and I are in agreement...with State winning 3 of 7 games...which is way ahead of their expectations...

DavidBenAkiva
02-14-2019, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the update, as usual CDu. Always appreciate your breakdowns.

I do wonder how the press will work with only 8 active players. I suppose we might see a little more of Blake Harris, a 6'3" sophomore guard in place of Lockett. And Hellems could have an expanded role, too, to make it a 9-man rotation like normal.

Reddevil
02-14-2019, 12:56 PM

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I have watched enough ACC games this season not involving Duke where the stands are nearly empty. When Duke is in town arenas sell out, and it is the Super Bowl for the team. It comes with the territory and we are privileged to witness this era, but few other teams face the same gauntlet even if the schedule is the same. Beat's the alternative, but my fingernails pay the price!

Truth&Justise
02-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Others have pointed it out before, but it is remarkable that State's nine-man rotation includes a whopping seven who transferred into the program:

Wyatt Walker (grad transfer from Samford)
DJ Funderburke (transfer from Ohio State after redshirting his freshman year)
Torin Dorn (transfer from UNC Charlotte)
CJ Bryce (transfer from UNC Wilmington)
Devon Daniels (transfer from Utah)
Eric Lockett (grad transfer from FIU via George Mason)
Braxton Beverly (transfer from Ohio State, though he never played there after taking summer school classes)

That leaves just star Markell Johnson and reserve forward Jericole Hellems as players who have been with NC State their entire collegiate career.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Others have pointed it out before, but it is remarkable that State's nine-man rotation includes a whopping seven who transferred into the program:

Braxton Beverly (transfer from Ohio State, though he never played there after taking summer school classes)

That leaves just star Markell Johnson and reserve forward Jericole Hellems as players who have been with NC State their entire collegiate career.

not all that unusual when you have a new coach...they'll take anyone and everyone to build up the program...often times because players transfer out when a coach leaves and positions need to be fliled ASAP before you can fire up the recruiting engine.

fuse
02-14-2019, 01:14 PM

I won’t link it in case the allegations are considered out of bounds. You can find specific details on WRAL.

Eric Lockett has been suspended indefinitely.
I’d expect this means he’s not playing Saturday.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 01:16 PM
I won’t link it in case the allegations are considered out of bounds. You can find specific details on WRAL.

Eric Lockett has been suspended indefinitely.
I’d expect this means he’s not playing Saturday.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/after-assault-charge-eric-lockett-suspended-from-nc-state-s-basketball-team/18191595/

I'm guessing this won't be a grayson allen kind of indefinite....

CDu
02-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the update, as usual CDu. Always appreciate your breakdowns.

I do wonder how the press will work with only 8 active players. I suppose we might see a little more of Blake Harris, a 6'3" sophomore guard in place of Lockett. And Hellems could have an expanded role, too, to make it a 9-man rotation like normal.

It's a fair question/concern. Last night, for example, the Pack didn't press exclusively. They would do it intermittently throughout the game. I'd expect more of the same.

Harris has played very little this season in competitive games. In ACC play, he has 5 DNPs, two games with 1 minute played, and another with 3 minutes played. And this was with Markell Johnson missing 3 games after his injury.

They've pretty much run with an 8-man rotation for most of the ACC season anyway, so barring foul trouble, injury, or blowout I'd expect the same to be true here. If Harris plays, I'd be surprised to see more than a handful of minutes from him.

CDu
02-14-2019, 01:22 PM
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/after-assault-charge-eric-lockett-suspended-from-nc-state-s-basketball-team/18191595/

I'm guessing this won't be a grayson allen kind of indefinite...

Yes, I'll be surprised if Lockett is with the team on Saturday, much less playing. I would be VERY surprised to see him playing.

Natty_B
02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
The short-handed Wolfpack are also pretty short of stature. Their top 6 scorers are all 6'5" or below. The two players with any size include sophomore D.J. Funderburk, 6'10" (what a name!) and senior Wyatt Walker, 6'9" (also a pretty cool name, to be honest). Both Funderburk and Walker are capable post players.

I assumed that since he came from Ohio State (via a community college) that D.J. was related to Lawrence Funderburke - but D.J. doesn't have an "e" in his name so I guess no relation. Will always appreciate Lawrence for dunking all over UNC in the 1992 Sweet Sixteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDuN-VVwOg&t=4549s

Spanarkel
02-14-2019, 01:45 PM
I don't accept T-Rank's projection of a 94% chance of a Duke victory vs. State.

State's top three long-distance shooters(Beverly/Johnson/Bryce)all connect on ~40% of their treys.

Torin Dorn is a rugged, creative scorer(1,490 for career)from his SF spot.

Walker and Funderburk provide credible rim protection and rebounding inside.

Kevin Keatts is a very solid head coach.

While obviously not Duke's main rivalry game, this is a rivalry game...

Like Lefty Driesell once said after a loss: "The last time I looked the other team is still awarding scholarships."

I still fully expect the ubertalented Devils to play well and come out on top. LGD!

budwom
02-14-2019, 01:48 PM
over the years, few teams have been more schizophrenic than State...I could see them getting stomped on Saturday, I could also see them winning...just not sure which of their personalities will show up.

uh_no
02-14-2019, 01:54 PM
I don't accept T-Rank's projection of a 94% chance of a Duke victory vs. State.

The game's at home and NCSU is 0-5 against top 25 opponents since mid december. NCSU is a small team and doesn't have a great defense anyway. Duke is one of the best defenses in the country. NCSU is very mediocre turning the ball over and Duke is pretty good at forcing turnovers.

This one might not be over at halftime, but I don't see this being a close game.

JasonEvans
02-14-2019, 01:59 PM
He was not eligible right now, but apparently Sacha Killeya-Jones (former 5-star recruit, transfer from Kentucky) has also left the program. Not sure if he is planning another transfer or what... whew, his college career has not gone well.

Truth&Justise
02-14-2019, 02:07 PM
He was not eligible right now, but apparently Sacha Killeya-Jones (former 5-star recruit, transfer from Kentucky) has also left the program. Not sure if he is planning another transfer or what... whew, his college career has not gone well.

From an outside perspective, this is starting to have a Taylor King vibe to it. But who knows what's going on with Killeya-Jones, here's hopiong it's nothing too bad and he can get his career/studies on track.

PackMan97
02-14-2019, 02:09 PM
First of all, I need to make a correction that what y'all are saying.
* NC State gets CALLED for a lot of fouls. The amount of fouls we actually commit is a topic that is open for debate. Let's just get that out of the way so I can use it in the post game thread.

Second, I predict that State will win by 42 points, because as long as I'm predicting something silly as State winning, I might as well go big :)

Third, I might actually tune in for this game. There aren't many chances to watch a kid like Zion.

Fourth, since Kevin Keatts took over, NC State is 2-1 vs teams ranked #2 in the county.

53n206
02-14-2019, 02:31 PM
* NC State gets CALLED for a lot of fouls. The amount of fouls we actually commit is a topic that is open for debate. Let's just get that out of the way so I can use it in the post game thread.

Second, I predict that State will win by 42 points, because as long as I'm predicting something silly as State winning, I might as well go big :)

Third, I might actually tune in for this game. There aren't many chances to watch a kid like Zion.

Fourth, since Kevin Keatts took over, NC State is 2-1 vs teams ranked #2 in the county.

You gotta love PackMan.

Kedsy
02-14-2019, 03:20 PM
* NC State gets CALLED for a lot of fouls. The amount of fouls we actually commit is a topic that is open for debate.

Legit or not, NCSU's opposing free throw rate of 41.3% is the 22nd highest (332nd best) in the country.

FWIW, Duke's opposing free throw rate of 23.6% is the 6th lowest (best) in the country.

Lar77
02-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Appreciate your optimism.

I'm on your side about State getting called for a lot of fouls that certain teams do not. For whatever reason.

Keatts is an very good coach that has brought some excitement back to the Pack program. And they have a good record against us. However, we clearly outmatch the Pack. Beverly, Johnson and Dorn have all gone off and Funderburke can hit the open outside shot, but...

We are now 7-1 against teams currently in the Top 25, 3-0 on the road, 2-1 on neutral (so much for Duke doesn't play anybody away from home). Only Michigan and Marquette are even close to that.

The Looville game was a good learning experience about focus, which this team has lost from time to time.

I won't be surprised if State covers the spread or keeps it close into the 2nd half, but I think this game will see a focused Duke team come out of the gate.

BandAlum83
02-14-2019, 04:36 PM
over the years, few teams have been more schizophrenic than State...I could see them getting stomped on Saturday, I could also see them winning...just not sure which of their personalities will show up.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is any correlation between the Wolfpack performance and the lunar cycle?

budwom
02-14-2019, 05:05 PM
did not know where to put this (if the link works) but a veteran hoops photographer has a picture of Zion denting a basketball as he grips it, something she's never seen in 25 years of snapping pix...

https://deadspin.com/a-very-short-interview-with-the-photographer-who-captur-1832629795

DBGoins
02-15-2019, 11:50 AM

That is awesome....

I look for Duke to go smaller with more minutes for Jav (if he doesn't get in foul trouble) or White.

I'm not sure I would full out press if I were State, pressure the ball and extend pressure in the half court.

I'm sure we are going to try and run them off the 3 point line with help in the lane.

I believe State has to shoot better than 40-42% from the outside to have a shot at the upset.

jv001
02-15-2019, 11:58 AM
That is awesome...

I look for Duke to go smaller with more minutes for Jav (if he doesn't get in foul trouble) or White.

I'm not sure I would full out press if I were State, pressure the ball and extend pressure in the half court.

I'm sure we are going to try and run them off the 3 point line with help in the lane.

I believe State has to shoot better than 40-42% from the outside to have a shot at the upset.

You could be correct that we go small in this game, as State is not a big team. But they sure are quick. What we might see is death lineup #1 with the 4 freshmen and Jack. But it could be death lineup #2 with the 4 freshmen and Jordan. Unless Alex has a great week in practice, I don't think we see him unless we zone them for much of the game. I love the way Marques has played this season, but in the Miracle 23 game, he wasn't effective. However, I thought Javin played pretty well. GoDuke!

COYS
02-15-2019, 12:26 PM
My big picture question for this game is what does our half court offense look like? We were abysmal in the half court for the vast majority of the game against Louisville and, even during the comeback, we scored most of our points in transition or off of deep threes from Cam. We were good against UVA on the back of excellent three point shooting, but that’s not necessarily a good blueprint for the future.

We’re certainly capable of playing efficiently in the half court. The first UVA game was an absolute efficiency clinic from Zion and RJ. But I want to see if we can repeat a performance like that now that opposing teams have more tape on us.

State might not be the stoutest defensive team, and if we’re able to turn them over as their high turnover rate would suggest, we won’t need to be super efficient in our half court sets to win. But I still hope we see a few more new wrinkles that get our half court game out of the rut it’s been in, recently.

jipops
02-15-2019, 12:56 PM
My big picture question for this game is what does our half court offense look like? We were abysmal in the half court for the vast majority of the game against Louisville and, even during the comeback, we scored most of our points in transition or off of deep threes from Cam. We were good against UVA on the back of excellent three point shooting, but that’s not necessarily a good blueprint for the future.

We’re certainly capable of playing efficiently in the half court. The first UVA game was an absolute efficiency clinic from Zion and RJ. But I want to see if we can repeat a performance like that now that opposing teams have more tape on us.

State might not be the stoutest defensive team, and if we’re able to turn them over as their high turnover rate would suggest, we won’t need to be super efficient in our half court sets to win. But I still hope we see a few more new wrinkles that get our half court game out of the rut it’s been in, recently.

I agree with this as I have concerns about our offense right now as well. The offensive output in the UVA game seemed like more of an aberration than of an expectation for the rest of the season. It seems lately we've been very iso heavy on offense and for most of the Louisville game that was disastrous. I'd like to see us get to more ball movement and less on clear-out drives. It would also be nice if anyone coming off the bench could actually hit a shot or layup. Over the last 3 games there have been a grand total of 3 FGs coming from our bench. That isn't going to work well for us down the stretch, especially in the ACC tournament. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that we see Jack White again this season. We're definitely going to need him.

COYS
02-15-2019, 01:29 PM
I agree with this as I have concerns about our offense right now as well. The offensive output in the UVA game seemed like more of an aberration than of an expectation for the rest of the season. It seems lately we've been very iso heavy on offense and for most of the Louisville game that was disastrous. I'd like to see us get to more ball movement and less on clear-out drives. It would also be nice if anyone coming off the bench could actually hit a shot or layup. Over the last 3 games there have been a grand total of 3 FGs coming from our bench. That isn't going to work well for us down the stretch, especially in the ACC tournament. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that we see Jack White again this season. We're definitely going to need him.

I don't have a problem with our offense being built around isolating Zion and RJ (most college defenders are in serious trouble when they're isolated on those guys), but I DO have a problem with us failing to move the ball around a little prior to setting up a favorable matchup. Troublemaker has often pointed out how much better our offense looks when we're willing to move the ball around the perimeter, drive, kick, and then drive again until the defense has moved around enough to soften up, a little. I think the trouble for RJ and (to a lesser extent) Zion is that they are so good at getting a shot off, even in traffic, that they are willing to take the first available difficult layup rather than kick out and drive a second or third time. Teams have done a pretty good job sealing off driving lanes when we first set up our offense. However, RJ and Zion are so talented and athletic that I doubt teams will be able to seal off the gaps if we're driving three, four, or five times every single time we're on offense.

What I loved about our offense in the first UVA game is that we set it up with motion around the perimeter. That helped move UVA's defense around. To my eyes (a more knowledgeable poster might be able to either back me up or correct me on this), we use motion a LOT less when Tre is in the game (he was, of course, out against UVA the first time). On the surface, that makes sense, as Tre is very capable of making plays for his teammates and motion takes the ball out of his hands, some. But I wonder if running motion more frequently will help wear down opposing defenses faster and make Zion and RJ that much more dangerous.

Saratoga2
02-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Perhaps this is more about the next phase than just the NC State game. What we have is a very good defensive team, led by 4 freshmen. Marques and Jack can be a big help defensively although Marques was off in the Louisville game. Javin is more of a defensive fill in player who fouls a lot. Jordan had a nice defensive game and may have opened coach K's eyes to different press possibilities and Alex still is trying to find his way defensively. When clicking, our defense can hold most teams to less than 70 points.

That's a good thing since our offense is almost completely dependent upon the scoring of the 4 freshmen. Zion and RJ have been giving us 40 points or better a game and Cam is now proving close to 20 with Tre good for at least 8. Our non-freshmen have been underwhelming offensively with maybe 5 from Marques and a couple from Jack and Javin combined. Jordan is unliikely to give us points while Alex offensive contributions are potentially there but in practice he isn't delivering.

The point is we need to maintain our solid defense and avoid injuries or foul issues on any of our 4 freshmen as we need them to get us to 70 points. Marques get points from putbacks and free throws and lacks touch on his hook, Jack is not limited to an occasional opportune play, Javin has shown little ability to catch the ball and do much with it, Jordan has no offensive cred and Alex offense seems to be held back by his lack of confidence. Be nice for coach K to find a 5th scorer to help make us more bulletpproof.

golfinesquire
02-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Perhaps this is more about the next phase than just the NC State game. What we have is a very good defensive team, led by 4 freshmen. Marques and Jack can be a big help defensively although Marques was off in the Louisville game. Javin is more of a defensive fill in player who fouls a lot. Jordan had a nice defensive game and may have opened coach K's eyes to different press possibilities and Alex still is trying to find his way defensively. When clicking, our defense can hold most teams to less than 70 points.

That's a good thing since our offense is almost completely dependent upon the scoring of the 4 freshmen. Zion and RJ have been giving us 40 points or better a game and Cam is now proving close to 20 with Tre good for at least 8. Our non-freshmen have been underwhelming offensively with maybe 5 from Marques and a couple from Jack and Javin combined. Jordan is unliikely to give us points while Alex offensive contributions are potentially there but in practice he isn't delivering.

The point is we need to maintain our solid defense and avoid injuries or foul issues on any of our 4 freshmen as we need them to get us to 70 points. Marques get points from putbacks and free throws and lacks touch on his hook, Jack is not limited to an occasional opportune play, Javin has shown little ability to catch the ball and do much with it, Jordan has no offensive cred and Alex offense seems to be held back by his lack of confidence. Be nice for coach K to find a 5th scorer to help make us more bulletpproof.

Everyone keeps wringing their hands that we get most of our points from 4 of the starting five. I agree that some bench points would be nice, and in some games might be necessary, but how many teams have four guys capable of doing what our four are capable of doing night in night out?

MChambers
02-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Everyone keeps wringing their hands that we get most of our points from 4 of the starting five. I agree that some bench points would be nice, and in some games might be necessary, but how many teams have four guys capable of doing what our four are capable of doing night in night out?

Gonzaga. But that’s it, I think.

Tooold
02-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Very good point! The reason we have so many points from 4 freshmen is because we HAVE 4 really, really good freshmen who are able to score that many. And we want them to keep scoring!

DukieInKansas
02-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Which county? ;)

Kedsy
02-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Exactly. In 2010, we got nearly 70% of our points from three guys. That worked out OK.

UrinalCake
02-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Also, does it really matter if our scoring comes from four starters, versus coming from three starters and one bench player? I never understood why some fans get hung up on bench scoring.

I remember growing up and following the Orioles, there was one year that their outfield had the fewest home runs in the major leagues. Someone in a call-in radio show suggested they move their first baseman to the outfield in order to correct this. Which made absolutely no sense to me.

duke2x
02-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Which county? ;)

He's obviously referring to Shaw (12-12, 7-8 CIAA). I think a 42 point spread is too low. State has been enough D1 teams in the 300's by 50 already this year. :)

Duke wins big as long as Coach K is on the sideline. He hasn't lost to NCSU at home since 1988.

uh_no
02-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Also, does it really matter if our scoring comes from four starters, versus coming from three starters and one bench player? I never understood why some fans get hung up on bench scoring.

I remember growing up and following the Orioles, there was one year that their outfield had the fewest home runs in the major leagues. Someone in a call-in radio show suggested they move their first baseman to the outfield in order to correct this. Which made absolutely no sense to me.

The obvious answer is to start justin over zion and immediately call a TO to bring zion in.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Duke wins big as long as Coach K is on the sideline. He hasn't lost to NCSU at home since 1988.

You wanna check that stat one more time?

uh_no
02-15-2019, 05:13 PM

He's correct. K took leave for some time that year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/in-coach-ks-absence-jeff-capels-audition-to-one-day-replace-him-wont-be-easy/

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2019, 05:15 PM
He's correct. K took leave for some time that year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/in-coach-ks-absence-jeff-capels-audition-to-one-day-replace-him-wont-be-easy/

You're right. I was watching that game amongst many Wuf's at the Ale House.....having dinner with my daughter....and I remember that as the Dennis Smith game, but my brain had blocked out that it was one of the games in 17 that K stepped aside. (There's so much about that 17 year I want to forget....)

Stray Gator
02-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't it true that the last two times State won at Cameron -- in 1995 and 2017 -- Coach K was not on the sideline, but was out recovering from back surgery?

uh_no
02-15-2019, 05:22 PM
You're right. I was watching that game amongst many Wuf's at the Ale House....having dinner with my daughter...and I remember that as the Dennis Smith game, but my brain had blocked out that it was one of the games in 17 that K stepped aside. (There's so much about that 17 year I want to forget...)

It introduced us to Maques Bolden!

It's a shame Harry never really had a chance. I'm glad to see he's getting good minutes in the league. Nobody deserves to lose years to knee surgeries like that.

Saratoga2
02-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Exactly. In 2010, we got nearly 70% of our points from three guys. That worked out OK.

It works out okay when we have all of these guys. An injury to one of the 4 can leave us relying on the 3 others to pick it up. Of course its great to have so much talent but to be bulletproof, we need at least one other who can make a significant contribution if called on.

uh_no
02-15-2019, 06:13 PM
It works out okay when we have all of these guys. An injury to one of the 4 can leave us relying on the 3 others to pick it up. Of course its great to have so much talent but to be bulletproof, we need at least one other who can make a significant contribution if called on.

we don't NEED it. need is a high bar....and unless an injury is guaranteed to happen, or has happened, it's just a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have.

NSDukeFan
02-15-2019, 06:27 PM
It would be really great to have an extra Zion or two, an extra R.J. or two that we could use for additional depth and/or in case of injury.

fuse
02-15-2019, 06:33 PM
It would be really great to have an extra Zion or two, an extra R.J. or two that we could use for additional depth and/or in case of injury.

A team of five Zions versus a team of five Ditkas- who wins? 🤣

[Full size Ditkas, not mini Ditkas]

NSDukeFan
02-15-2019, 06:39 PM
A team of five Zions versus a team of five Ditkas- who wins? 🤣

[Full size Ditkas, not mini Ditkas]

I assume it depends if you’re in Chicago or not and if you are over or under 40?

DBGoins
02-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Everyone knows outfielders homeruns are worth more than infielders homeruns :-)

MChambers
02-15-2019, 08:20 PM
The obvious answer is to start justin over zion and immediately call a TO to bring zion in.

Nah, start Jack over Cam . . . [ducks]

UrinalCake
02-15-2019, 10:00 PM
It introduced us to Maques Bolden!

Bolden had two points in 18 minutes in that game. Maybe you're thinking of the Miami game that season? I remember that as being his coming out party.

I had also totally forgotten that Coach K missed that game. Also I think Amile was out injured. But for me that will always be the game that cost us a #1 seed that season. Had we won the game we likely would have swapped places with the CHeats in the bracket and had their (much easier) path to the title.

gocanes0506
02-15-2019, 10:44 PM
I know this is beating a dead horse, but I have watched enough ACC games this season not involving Duke where the stands are nearly empty. When Duke is in town arenas sell out, and it is the Super Bowl for the team. It comes with the territory and we are privileged to witness this era, but few other teams face the same gauntlet even if the schedule is the same. Beat's the alternative, but my fingernails pay the price!

Here in Atlanta, the only way to get tickets to the Duke game last year was to buy season tickets or buy a half pack of ACC games. Typically Duke is everyone’s big game but it is something a little more to State. They have to prove they belong to themselves.

uh_no
02-16-2019, 12:35 AM
Bolden had two points in 18 minutes in that game. Maybe you're thinking of the Miami game that season? I remember that as being his coming out party.

I had also totally forgotten that Coach K missed that game. Also I think Amile was out injured. But for me that will always be the game that cost us a #1 seed that season. Had we won the game we likely would have swapped places with the CHeats in the bracket and had their (much easier) path to the title.

i meant the season introduced us, not the game.

BandAlum83
02-16-2019, 02:49 AM
Here in Atlanta, the only way to get tickets to the Duke game last year was to buy season tickets or buy a half pack of ACC games. Typically Duke is everyone’s big game but it is something a little more to State. They have to prove they belong to themselves.

I have a friend with Season GT tickets. I was fortunate enough to have been given 2 for me and my wife. Unfortunately it was a game while Marvin was out injured.

jv001
02-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Looks like the Vegas betting lines have Duke favored by 17 points. That seems a lot against a team that has gotten fired up to play us lately. I'm hoping our guys come out fired up themselves and go into half time up by 10 or more. I don't want the Pack to feel good about themselves one bit. GoDuke!

dukebluesincebirth
02-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Game day, folks! Let’s go! This is an important game for us imo. We’ve had a few different types of games this year, and all of a sudden we’re a couple weeks from March. It’s time to start being who we’re going to be and perfecting individual and collective roles. We’ve had cold shooting games and a red hot shooting game. How well will we shoot going forward, and how much dependence will we have on outside shooting? It’s time to decide. The full court press worked beautifully against LVille. Is this something we now use on a more regular basis, or only as needed? I’d like to see it more often. Where have our captains gone, and will they return to give us anything valuable moving forward? It’s time. I LOVE this team, but I’m nowhere near penciling them in the championship game or even the final 4. It’s the time of year when you have to be motivated and focused for 40 minutes every game. It’s time to start being super aware of shot choices, eliminating stupid fouls, hitting free throws, limiting silly turnovers, etc. This team has been a bit all over the place this year, and still managed to win almost every game. Time to get consistent with the good and limit the bad. This team can be a machine. The fine tuning process starts now. Let’s go boys!! Beat State!! Go Blue Devils!!

tteettimes
02-16-2019, 10:54 AM
State gets “ Zionized” today
We’re taking ‘em to the cleaners

Fish80
02-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Full moon coming on Tuesday. Wolves will be juiced tonight, but not fully peaked.

Mike Corey
02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
It’s the time of year when you have to be motivated and focused for 40 minutes every game. It’s time to start being super aware of shot choices, eliminating stupid fouls, hitting free throws, limiting silly turnovers, etc. This team has been a bit all over the place this year, and still managed to win almost every game. Time to get consistent with the good and limit the bad. This team can be a machine. The fine tuning process starts now. Let’s go boys!! Beat State!! Go Blue Devils!!

Well put.

Let's gooooooo.

jv001
02-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Full moon coming on Tuesday. Wolves will be juiced tonight, but not fully peaked.

And cheating cheats will be coming to town Wednesday night. Time for our guys to get it started by whipping the Pack tonight and then lay an even bigger whipping on the cheats Wednesday. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 12:42 PM
It’s the time of year when you have to be motivated and focused for 40 minutes every game. !

Unless you are playing Wake..........

brevity
02-16-2019, 03:05 PM
The Chronicle of Higher Education Than Whatever Chapel Hill Offers (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2019/02/durant-mayweather-to-visit-cameron-for-duke-mens-basketball-game-vs-nc-state) is reporting that Kevin Durant and Floyd Mayweather will attend tonight’s game, and that Kyrie Irving may as well.

The article was sure to include some Durant-Irving-Williamson to the Knicks speculation, and had this gem:

In fact, Duke has more recently won at Madison Square Garden than the Knicks, who haven’t won at home since Dec. 1.

left_hook_lacey
02-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Man, -17 against state. Usually, this game makes me nervous, especially leading up to the UNC game, but tonight is going to be an epic beat down on NC steak. I feel it.

UrinalCake
02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Update: Irving not coming

left_hook_lacey
02-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Update: Irving not coming

Big flat Earth convention this weekend. Tight schedule. Maybe next time.

-jk
02-16-2019, 05:27 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

rsvman
02-16-2019, 06:29 PM
So-so start.

Dub
02-16-2019, 07:00 PM
We’re on cruise control. If game tightens up, I suspect our intensity will pick up. Otherwise we’ll cruise control this to a 10-ish point win. Keep feeding Zion, hit a couple of 3s, and keep forcing State into contested jumpers. On to the 2nd half...

ChrisP
02-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Nice start to the 2nd half :)

Acymetric
02-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Uh...flagrant?

ChrisP
02-16-2019, 07:21 PM
That is yet ANOTHER embarrassing call for ACC refs. SMH...

downeastdad
02-16-2019, 07:22 PM
Uh...flagrant?

Nope-just the most vicious held ball I've seen in a while.

devildeac
02-16-2019, 07:24 PM
That is yet ANOTHER embarrassing call for ACC refs. SMH...

swofford will bonus them for that call

jipops
02-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Man, -17 against state. Usually, this game makes me nervous, especially leading up to the UNC game, but tonight is going to be an epic beat down on NC steak. I feel it.

I don’t. We’re a bit of a mess right now.

mph
02-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Bolden had an outstanding defensive possession around the 13 minute mark in the 2nd half.

shjiang
02-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Cam is enigma... His performance is even harder to predict than Nasdaq stock...

ChrisP
02-16-2019, 07:34 PM
Our D is very suspect this game. We cannot count on every team being as loose with ball as State is. And RJ clearly STILL has not learned the difference between a good shot and a bad one. He really needs to stop jacking up contested 3's

WHOneedsSOX
02-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Damn Jack, shoot that with confidence. Weird hesitation mid shot.

WHOneedsSOX
02-16-2019, 08:02 PM
Triple double for RJ, nice.