PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 2/11-2/17

pfrduke
02-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Duke and UNC tied at the top, and both of them have tough tests to start the week. Clemson is officially back in the conversation for a bid with its nice win over Virginia Tech this week. NC State is looking a little shaky now at 5-6 - everyone else below .500 in conference play is not likely to have any postseason after the ACCT

Monday

[8]North Carolina (9-1) (+2) hosts [2]Virginia (8-2) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday

[125]Boston College (2-8) (-1) hosts [77]Pittsburgh (2-9) (7:00, ESPNU)
[13]Louisville (8-3) (+6) hosts [1]Duke (9-1) (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday

[73]Miami (2-9) (+2) hosts [31]Clemson (5-5) (7:00, ESPN2)
[22]Florida State (6-4) (-18) hosts [176]Wake Forest (7:00, ACCNE)
[10]Virginia Tech (7-4) (-15) hosts [102]Georgia Tech (3-8) (8:00, ACCNE)
[39]NC State (5-6) (-4) hosts [42]Syracuse (8-3) (8:00, ACCNE)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday

[13]Louisville (8-3) (-7) hosts [31]Clemson (5-5) (12:00, ESPN)
[176]Wake Forest (2-8) (+17) hosts [8]North Carolina (9-1) (12:00, ACCNE)
[2]Virginia (8-2) (-19) hosts [89]Notre Dame (3-8) (2:00, ACCNE)
[102]Georgia Tech (3-8) (+5) hosts [22]Florida State (6-4) (2:00, ACCNE)
[77]Pittsburgh (2-9) (+6) hosts [10]Virginia Tech (7-4) (4:30, ACCNE)
[1]Duke (9-1) (-19) hosts [39]NC State (5-6) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday

[125]Boston College (2-8) (-1) hosts [73]Miami (2-9) (6:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference: 149-41
ACC vs. Power 5: 30-26

Efficiency margin (unadjusted) in conference play only:

Virginia - +21.2
Duke - +17.8
Louisville - +14.9
North Carolina - +13.4
Virginia Tech - +6.1
Florida State - +3.9
Clemson - +3.9
Syracuse - +3.3
NC State - -5.1
Miami - -9.1
Pittsburgh - -10.7
Notre Dame - -11.4
Georgia Tech - -12.6
Boston College - -13.5
Wake Forest - -20.3

devildeac
02-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Donning my blue and orange and chanting Hoos yer daddy starting about 7 PM tonight and hoping to finish about 9(F) PM with said actions.

PackMan97
02-11-2019, 10:11 AM
NC State is looking a little shaky now at 5-6 - everyone else below .500 in conference play is not likely to have any postseason after the ACCT

Well, our first half schedule wasn't kind to us...but this is the ACC....NC State's losses (NET rankings)
#11 at Wisconsin (by 4 on the road)
#9f Cheaters (*$^@ the cheating cheaters)
#196 at Wake Forest (ouch...first game without starting PG)
#14 at Louisville
#3 UVA (by 1 in OT)
#14 VT (a game that will live in infamy)
#9f Cheaters (where is their banner for beating the NCAA COI?)

So, 7 losses. 6 to teams inside the top 15 and one without our starting PG. While I'd like some more big wins than just a slowly fading Auburn, the big games are going to be Syracuse, Clemson and FSU. State has got to win most of the games against the middle of the ACC and we'll be fine. That WF loss really really hurt, but ultimately shouldn't matter if we take care of business.

jv001
02-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Well, our first half schedule wasn't kind to us...but this is the ACC...NC State's losses (NET rankings)
#11 at Wisconsin (by 4 on the road)
#9f Cheaters (*$^@ the cheating cheaters)
#196 at Wake Forest (ouch...first game without starting PG)
#14 at Louisville
#3 UVA (by 1 in OT)
#14 VT (a game that will live in infamy)
#9f Cheaters (where is their banner for beating the NCAA COI?)

So, 7 losses. 6 to teams inside the top 15 and one without our starting PG. While I'd like some more big wins than just a slowly fading Auburn, the big games are going to be Syracuse, Clemson and FSU. State has got to win most of the games against the middle of the ACC and we'll be fine. That WF loss really really hurt, but ultimately shouldn't matter if we take care of business.

As always, I'll be rooting for the Pack unless they are playing my Blue Devils. GoDuke!

English
02-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Duke and UNC tied at the top, and both of them have tough tests to start the week. Clemson is officially back in the conversation for a bid with its nice win over Virginia Tech this week. NC State is looking a little shaky now at 5-6 - everyone else below .500 in conference play is not likely to have any postseason after the ACCT

Monday

[8]North Carolina (9-1) (+2) hosts [2]Virginia (8-2) (7:00, ESPN)

SNIP

Do the Wahoos on the board--or, really, anyone for that matter--know if Diakite is available tonight? Was he officially diagnosed with a concussion? That would almost certainly rule him out since it happened two days ago.

AGDukesky
02-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately I think UNC wins pretty easily like the Gonzaga game. Combining the quick turnaround with travel and being banged up, UNC will be able to score easier than it would against a normal VA team. I would love to be wrong though...

NSDukeFan
02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
I find it interesting that KenPom’s 125th ranked team (BC) is favoured in both its games this week.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately I think UNC wins pretty easily like the Gonzaga game. Combining the quick turnaround with travel and being banged up, UNC will be able to score easier than it would against a normal VA team. I would love to be wrong though...

Exactly what I'm thinking......on all counts....

English
02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Do the Wahoos on the board--or, really, anyone for that matter--know if Diakite is available tonight? Was he officially diagnosed with a concussion? That would almost certainly rule him out since it happened two days ago.

I don't love responding to my own post, but I've heard from a couple of Hoo buddies that Diakite made the trip to The Dump. Still unclear about his status, but they seemed optimistic he'd give it a go tonight. Fingers crossed.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
I don't love responding to my own post, but I've heard from a couple of Hoo buddies that Diakite made the trip to The Dump. Still unclear about his status, but they seemed optimistic he'd give it a go tonight. Fingers crossed.

If he can shake the cobwebs out (not a given) - he would be the most physically and emotionally rested key player on the team. He was also the Hoos best player while he was on the court v Duke.

W&LHoo
02-11-2019, 03:13 PM
No official word but it seems Diakite will be playing.

My hope is that Tony has them past the game against you guys and focused on the work ahead. It's really terrible to have this kind of pileup on a schedule.

Honestly, we always knew Duke's ceiling was the highest and you guys were playing nearly perfectly in the JPJ on Saturday. That we remained in the contest until nearly the end is a testament to UVA's strength this year, but I bet our kids don't feel that way about it.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Honestly, we always knew Duke's ceiling was the highest and you guys were playing nearly perfectly in the JPJ on Saturday. That we remained in the contest until nearly the end is a testament to UVA's strength this year, but I bet our kids don't feel that way about it.

Absolutely agree. Our three point shooting in the first half was off the chart, yet we only led by 4 or 5 at half IIRC.

This is a fun UVA team to watch. And I think UVA may have the best coach in the conference outside of Durham. (Although Jimmy B may edge him just based on experience, I guess).

Truth&Justise
02-11-2019, 03:43 PM
This seems as good a place as any to post my pet-theory, so here goes: UVA reminds me of 2010 Duke.

They get nearly all of their scoring from three perimeter players with two post players who play defense, set screens, and rebound. I see a lot of Brian Zoubek in Jack Salt, and Diakate's game is similar to Lance Thomas. Then there's Ty Jerome, a tall point guard who is steady but unspectacular and unafraid of the big shot, a la Jon Scheyer. Kyle Guy and DeAndre Hunter aren't exactly like Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler (despite two guys named Kyle!), but the roles they fill for their teams are quite similar.

Their main weapons off the bench are two bigs, Braxton Key and Jay Huff, who are more versatile and potentially more skilled than the starting bigs, but are younger and less proven. Kind of like the freshman Mason and sophomore Miles.

It works a bit on a macro-level too. Both teams were/are maligned for recent tournament failures. Both stayed in games with tough, hard-nosed defense but were prone to scoring droughts.

It's not a perfect comparison, but that's the model I see for them. Whether they can regroup and win in Chapel Hill tonight will go a ways to showing whether they really are like 2010 Duke.

MChambers
02-11-2019, 03:54 PM
This seems as good a place as any to post my pet-theory, so here goes: UVA reminds me of 2010 Duke.

They get nearly all of their scoring from three perimeter players with two post players who play defense, set screens, and rebound. I see a lot of Brian Zoubek in Jack Salt, and Diakate's game is similar to Lance Thomas. Then there's Ty Jerome, a tall point guard who is steady but unspectacular and unafraid of the big shot, a la Jon Scheyer. Kyle Guy and DeAndre Hunter aren't exactly like Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler (despite two guys named Kyle!), but the roles they fill for their teams are quite similar.

Their main weapons off the bench are two bigs, Braxton Key and Jay Huff, who are more versatile and potentially more skilled than the starting bigs, but are younger and less proven. Kind of like the freshman Mason and sophomore Miles.

It works a bit on a macro-level too. Both teams were/are maligned for recent tournament failures. Both stayed in games with tough, hard-nosed defense but were prone to scoring droughts.

It's not a perfect comparison, but that's the model I see for them. Whether they can regroup and win in Chapel Hill tonight will go a ways to showing whether they really are like 2010 Duke.

I can see this. I'd add that UVa's pack line defense isn't all that different from compact man-to-man Duke used in 2010.

BD80
02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
I don't love responding to my own post, but I've heard from a couple of Hoo buddies that Diakite made the trip to The Dump. ...

I hear he was pretty badly concussed, was having dizzy spells and hearing voices. Should return from unc with at least 2 more degrees and a PhD.

Utley
02-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Curious about how our UVA friends think about this year’s team vs last year’s team? I think of this team as better - especially offensively - but last year’s teamed seemed more of a powerhouse. It may just be that some of the rest of the league is better - particularly us.

No official word but it seems Diakite will be playing.

My hope is that Tony has them past the game against you guys and focused on the work ahead. It's really terrible to have this kind of pileup on a schedule.

sagegrouse
02-11-2019, 05:20 PM
I hear he was pretty badly concussed, was having dizzy spells and hearing voices. Should return from unc with at least 2 more degrees and a PhD.

"Dizzy spells and hearing voices" are bad?

devildeac
02-11-2019, 05:26 PM
"Dizzy spells and hearing voices" are bad?

"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Truth&Justise
02-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Curious about how our UVA friends think about this year’s team vs last year’s team? I think of this team as better - especially offensively - but last year’s teamed seemed more of a powerhouse. It may just be that some of the rest of the league is better - particularly us.

I'm curious too. From an outsider's perspective, I would rank recent UVA teams as:

1. 2015
2. 2019
3. 2018
4. 2014
5. 2016
[Big Gap]
6. 2017

But it's all pretty subjective.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Jerome and Salt both picked up a couple fouls when coming on the court for warm-ups. :rolleyes::mad:

MChambers
02-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Jerome and Salt both picked up a couple fouls when coming on the court for warm-ups. :rolleyes::mad:

I hear you, but for Salt, that’s not completely unreasonable.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 06:30 PM
I hear you, but for Salt, that’s not completely unreasonable.

:rolleyes:

LOL. However, neither of them were F1.

arnie
02-11-2019, 06:34 PM
I must be missing something, but Luke Maye named ACC player of the week and Coby White is ACC Freshman of the week after Cheats win over Miami.

Additionally, Dave Glenn today raved about Cheats great win over Miami and how they’ve hit their stride. He also discussed at length the Pack’s resilience on the road against Pitt. The Duke-UVA game was very briefly noted.

Bob Green
02-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Diakite is not starting but he is available off the bench.

-jk
02-11-2019, 07:03 PM
I must be missing something, but Luke Maye named ACC player of the week and Coby White is ACC Freshman of the week after Cheats win over Miami.

Additionally, Dave Glenn today raved about Cheats great win over Miami and how they’ve hit their stride. He also discussed at length the Pack’s resilience on the road against Pitt. The Duke-UVA game was very briefly noted.

Same old, same old...

And when did K win COY last? IIRC, at least a decade ago, a few ncaas and golds ago.

-jk

arnie
02-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Same old, same old...

And when did K win COY last? IIRC, at least a decade ago, a few ncaas and golds ago.

-jk

And has never been named AP Coach of the Year. A truly staggering commentary on Associated Press voters.

proelitedota
02-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Looks like UVA has poor 3pt defense.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Part of the reason Coby White is so effective is that he carries the ball like Hanstravel shuffled his feet... every time down the court.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 07:38 PM

Well while David Glenn continues to get worse and worse.....and ignores Duke Virginia - it was the only college game that ALL the national shows talked about today.

tteettimes
02-11-2019, 07:39 PM
I really enjoy Chat Line for our games.....just now thought how fun it would be if we had it open right now durin* Cheats/UVAgame

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
I really enjoy Chat Line for our games....just now thought how fun it would be if we had it open right now durin* Cheats/UVAgame

I agree.....we could all laugh at how the heels just got screwed with that shot clock call against Virginia...costing them a hoop.

left_hook_lacey
02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
UNC getting hosed by the refs on obvious calls. And it's hilarious. Lol. I think they used up all their breaks from the refs in the Miami come back Saturday. They got away with murder in that game, refs trying to balance it out. 😂

pfrduke
02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
I agree...we could all laugh at how the heels just got screwed with that shot clock call against Virginia...costing them a hoop.

It was a frustrating call for the Heels, but it was the right one - shot clock expired without possession, as they clearly showed on the replay.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2019, 07:51 PM
It was a frustrating call for the Heels, but it was the right one - shot clock expired without possession, as they clearly showed on the replay.

Made more sense than the foul under the basket, IMHO

left_hook_lacey
02-11-2019, 07:54 PM

Doesn't always get called like that though, and I think they were upset with the mounting bad calls from earlier. The under the basket bail out fail called on Kenny Williams, then white gets hammerrd on the drive without a call.

Earlier in the game, Virgina obviously hit the ball out and refs gave it to Virginia. Replay showed it, stadium moaned and groaned. 😂

UNC tears are delicious.

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
i'm enjoying UVA flexing its muscle on the cheaters. UNC is shooting pretty well from 3, and they still down. Love it.

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Doesn't always get called like that though, and I think they were upset with the mounting bad calls from earlier. The under the basket bail out fail called on Kenny Williams, then white gets hammerrd on the drive without a call.

Earlier in the game, Virgina obviously hit the ball out and refs gave it to Virginia. Replay showed it, stadium moaned and groaned. 😂

UNC tears are delicious.

the most deliciousest

Bob Green
02-11-2019, 08:01 PM
i'm enjoying UVA flexing its muscle on the cheaters. UNC is shooting pretty well from 3, and they still down. Love it.

UNC is 6-15 (40%) on 3 PT FG while UVa is 6-9 (67%).

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:01 PM

That will almost never get called, because for all intents and purposes, the Hoo's possession was over, the ball was 75 feet away from the basket. If it was still UVA ball, then it should have been over and back. I hate all ticky tacky calls that help a team that screws up...(but I'll live with it if the team that gets screwed is the Cheats)

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

They should have put 2.6 on the clock. I they had, the put back would have been good, lol!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Calls are starting to reverse...a phantom "and one" foul on Guy just now. Guy was running AWAY from Johnson...almost no contact.

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2019, 08:11 PM
what happened to UVA's offense? like 4 of their past 5 possessions have been absolute shite.
And what happened to their defense lately too? What team took the court in the 2nd half?

ChrisP
02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Ugh, UVA stinkin' it up now! Why are they suddenly so rushed on offense?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
what happened to UVA's offense? like 4 of their past 5 possessions have been absolute shite.

Fatigue, physical and mental. It's catching up with them. Guy is gassed....Jerome is hurting....Diakite not quite right. Serious Duke hangover.

arnie
02-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Calls are starting to reverse...a phantom "and one" foul on Guy just now. Guy was running AWAY from Johnson...almost no contact.

But Bilas said Guy clipped him and Bilas is never wrong. HBCK must be blind😀

indy1duke
02-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Maybe Jay Bilas can get an honorary degree from the cheats.

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Johnson also traveled before the "foul" even happened.

UVA looks like they've given up. Chalk this one up to a schedule loss and another gift for the CHeats.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:23 PM

UVA looks like they've given up. Chalk this one up to a schedule loss and another gift for the CHeats.

Yep, they look done to me. They played their fannies off on D in first half...but this schedule was not sustainable. Mentally and physically toasted.
And yes, agree on Cam's travel...he was totally out of control.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:24 PM
But Bilas said Guy clipped him and Bilas is never wrong. HBCK must be blind😀

Shouldn't that have been 15 yards then?

DukieInBrasil
sorry for jinxing the game at half time y'all. shoulda used the i'm not gonna jinx it thread.

COYS

UVA have had a couple bad possessions, but the tough jumpers they took and made at the end of bad possessions against Duke aren’t falling in the 2nd half, tonight. Let’s see if Bennett can make an adjustment. There’s still plenty of time. And uva has plenty of offensive firepower

indy1duke
02-11-2019, 08:26 PM
UVA is suffering from a Duke hangover this half. Hope they can recover.

ChrisP
02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Ridiculous foul call on UVA there - White charged there

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2019, 08:32 PM
UVA is rattled. They need to settle down on offense.

tteettimes
02-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Bilas is on Roy’s payroll????

arnie
02-11-2019, 08:38 PM
UVA is rattled. They need to settle down on offense.

Luke Maye with an epic offensive performance so far. Guess if Cheats win tonight he’s a shoo-in for all ACC.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Luke Maye with an epic offensive performance so far. Guess if Cheats win tonight he’s a shoo-in for all ACC.

...and superstar OAD Nassir Little....0 points

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:42 PM

And worthy of another POTW honor. :mad:

Bluegrassdevil1
02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
White may shot clock himself short five points.

MChambers
02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
...and superstar OAD Nassir Little...0 points

Blaming Roy for an injury? Seems like bad form.

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 08:45 PM
That was one heck of a big call on the White three

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 08:45 PM
...and superstar OAD Nassir Little...0 points

He went down with ankle injury earlier

tteettimes
02-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Damn......Roy called aTO

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:47 PM
He went down with ankle injury earlier

Yep, u right...and then Cam. Those two injuries helped the Hoos.....we'll see if enough.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:47 PM
espn "gametracker" really wacky. A minute ago it showed cheats 62/Good guys 59, now Hoos 61 and cheats 59. Can they take away another 3-5 points from the cheats? Please?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:48 PM
That was one heck of a big call on the White three

Looks like it deflated them...

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:49 PM
UVa not looking too tired now.

arnie
02-11-2019, 08:49 PM
ha ha ha ha shut up Cheats. Thank you Mr Guy

DUKIECB
02-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Good night cheats😴😜😎

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Thankfully, Hoos not hurting themselves with FT.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Heels looked good.

pfrduke
It's nice to know that in-game posts about other teams' games are no less shortsighted than in-game posts involving our own team. Basketball games are 40 minutes long people - don't overreact to 4-5 of those minutes.

UrinalCake
Wow, I take back what I said about UVA giving up. What a gutty effort to make that comeback on the road. The injuries to Little and Johnson helped, but we also played them without Tre.

First place in the conference! Let's keep it that way.

devildeac
cheats looked good

jacone21
02-11-2019, 08:53 PM
ha ha ha ha shut up Cheats. Thank you Mr Guy

arnie has my proxy.

Furniture
That was a steal. UNC gave it to them (thankfully).

CDu
Huh, I was told UVa was done and too fatigued to win. Sure didn’t look fatigued down the stretch to me.

tteettimes
Heels looked good.

Yeah.......Reel good ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
UVa not looking too tired now.

Great gutsy win for UVa....against tough odds. NC's ankle injuries helped, and the Heels seemed unable to recover from the waived off three (which was the right call). It was all Virginia after that....10-2 after that

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Guess that looooong 3ish hour bus ride back to C-ville will be special and likely not very tiring.

DukieInBrasil
The lesson we all learned from this chat thread is to acknowledge the jinx, say you're sorry for it, not speak of it again, and then it will reverse itself.
Thank you UVA!!! Y'all really came thru for us tonight!!!!

pfrduke
The four missed shots in the last 20 seconds was really icing on the cake.

That game really turned on the fraction of a second the ball stayed too long on Coby White's miracle heave.

Bob Green
Final: Virginia 69, Carolina 61. Gosh, if it wasn't for the grueling travel from Charlottesville the Hoos had to endure, they probably would've won by 15 points. Over mountains, across rapid running rivers, through the woods...

HereBeforeCoachK

That game really turned on the fraction of a second the ball stayed too long on Coby White's miracle heave.

Yep, that plus the injury to Cam J.

richardjackson199
02-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Wahoooooooooooooooooo!

Woohoo Wahoos

MChambers
02-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Heels looked good.

cheats looked good

Would only look better when they lose to Duke!

MChambers
02-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Was it only four? Seemed like 10.

ncexnyc
02-11-2019, 08:56 PM
That was a very impressive win by UVA. They looked dead in the water, but somehow managed to gut it out and come from behind.:D

Bob Green
02-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Ty Jerome with a double double 15 points and 11 rebounds. I'm not sure how he managed that seeing that he had to ride on a bus all the way from Charlottesville with a sore back.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Ty Jerome with a double double 15 points and 11 rebounds. I'm not sure how he managed that seeing that he had to ride on a bus all the way from Charlottesville with a sore back.

Of course the ankle injuries to Little and Cam had nothing to do with the result. Nothing at all. You know, the way Cam and Tre going down didn't impact Duke Syracuse....

Saratoga2
02-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Final: Virginia 69, Carolina 61. Gosh, if it wasn't for the grueling travel from Charlottesville the Hoos had to endure, they probably would've won by 15 points. Over mountains, across rapid running rivers, through the woods...

UVA showed toughness coming back after looking tired and going down but they battled back and won at UNC and after a tough loss to Duke on Saturday. Loved the spirit.

Does anyone else notice the continuous and sour expression on old Roys face during much of the game?

dukelifer
02-11-2019, 08:59 PM
That was a very impressive win by UVA. They looked dead in the water, but somehow managed to gut it out and come from behind.:D

Impressive win on the road. Jerome and Guy are really good players.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Probably heated seats :rolleyes:;).

dukebluesincebirth
02-11-2019, 09:01 PM
Of course the ankle injuries to Little and Cam had nothing to do with the result. Nothing at all.

UVA also left a lot of points at the free throw line, especially late in 2nd half.

W&LHoo
02-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Not that I wouldn’t have - strongly - preferred to have beaten y’all, but it certainly makes our remaining schedule scenarios simpler to game out when our only losses are courtesy of Duke.

Indoor66
02-11-2019, 09:08 PM
cheats looked good

Especially at the end.

arnie
02-11-2019, 09:10 PM
UVA also left a lot of points at the free throw line, especially late in 2nd half.

And the had to overcome Luke Maye’s 4 points on 2 of 10 shooting.

duke2x
02-11-2019, 09:12 PM
UVA showed toughness coming back after looking tired and going down but they battled back and won at UNC and after a tough loss to Duke on Saturday. Loved the spirit.

Does anyone else notice the continuous and sour expression on old Roys face during much of the game?

He's 7-9 v. Bennett at UVA. A tough win in tough conditions, but the better team won. It puts us in the driver's seat for a 1-4/5/12/13 matchup in the ACC Tournament, which is a big advantage this year.

richardjackson199
02-11-2019, 09:13 PM

I don't know. But could we get more Ol' Roy press conference magic? Hope that bus back to Charlottesville is driving really slow and ready to brake in case any cheats get thrown underneath it.

Wahoo2000
02-11-2019, 09:13 PM
We (UVa) honestly played our B- game and came out with a win. We REALLY benefitted from those CLOSE but correct (by the book) calls on the shot clock violations late in both halves. We were REALLY pretty sloppy all around. Still struggling with turnovers, and added poor rebounding and FT shooting today.

I honestly didn't really expect us to have an A+ performance with the short turnaround and guys being banged up (Jerome, as well as he played here AND vs Duke, hasn't looked the same since he got hurt early in the NCSU game. Diakite was obviously on some kind of minutes limitation. Salt NEVER played in the second half, so something must be up there because for all his shortcomings offensively Bennett LOVES him). What we DID get was A+ heart/effort, and some VERY timely shooting from Kyle Guy in the last couple minutes. I'll take it and not look back. Based on what I've seen overall, it seems like the top half of the league is breaking down this way:

1. Duke
-small, but CLEAR edge-
2. UVA
-small, but CLEAR edge-
3. UNC
-small, but CLEAR edge-
Lou/Cuse/FSU/VT (with Robinson, if he can return be season's end)

I do know that Virginia MUST get 100% healthy if we're going to make any kind of run at the ACC tourney 1 seed. We'd have to go undefeated the rest of the way, and I'd ballpark even with that there's only about a 30-40% (at best) chance Duke drops 2 more games. At least Bennett should be able to give the guys a day or maybe even 2 off to recover before starting practice for a "get right" game at home vs ND on Saturday.

I'd wish you guys good luck at Louisville tomorrow, but that would be disingenuous at best. I *will* wish you good health and no injuries.

Wahoo2000
02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
He's 7-9 v. Bennett at UVA. A tough win in tough conditions, but the better team won. It puts us in the driver's seat for a 1-4/5/12/13 matchup in the ACC Tournament, which is a big advantage this year.

That 1-seed REALLY pays off in the semis and finals. Assuming some sort of Duke/UVa/UNC top 3, not only does the 1 seed avoid a tougher matchup in the semis, they also have a rest advantage over their finals opponent who is also coming off of a likely WAR.

shjiang
02-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Of course the ankle injuries to Little and Cam had nothing to do with the result. Nothing at all. You know, the way Cam and Tre going down didn't impact Duke Syracuse...

That is still a impressive win for UVA. Cam only left for couple of minutes and Little does not have a great game when he is on the court...missing shots and defense position...

Do you suggest Diakite leave Duke UVA game early as injure actually cost UVA to win the game on last Saturday? As Cam and Little today, I don't think that play much factor to affect the game result

shjiang
02-11-2019, 09:19 PM
My takeaway:

UNC does not really have any reliable one on one scorer. Coby White and Cam Johnson are better catch and shoot then create offense by themselves. I am surprised it takes 2/3 of game for Tony Bennett to realize Kehion Clark is black whole in defense end and really cannot defend Coby White/Cam Johnson take the shots.

But anyway, in the last 10 minutes, it is right move to take down Clark and put Keys in. Roy clearly did not learn anything from Duke VS Virginia game. Don't switch defense for Kyle Guy's screen, which leave him some good 3 pts shot in the end...

It is good result for Duke. This game also prove my impression... Luke Maye is totally useless if you put athletic big on him... Cam Johnson is a catch up shooter with limited ball handing and create offense... Switch defense when he try to take the screen...Coby White does not really have great touch near the rim or wiggle in dribble... I think Tre can take him, just let him take all the challenging 3 pt shot...

UNC is not really impressed today, we just need to take care the defense rebound...They did get 18 off rebounds today over Virginia... We need our guys to fully protect the rebound...

lotusland
02-11-2019, 09:23 PM
I missed the game but checked IC to find out what happened. Apparently the refs gave the game to the Hoos.

richardjackson199
02-11-2019, 09:27 PM
I missed the game but checked IC to find out what happened. Apparently the refs gave the game to the Hoos.

Hahahahaha of course they did. Cheats got cheated I tell you. Cheatery ;)

roywhite
02-11-2019, 09:35 PM
The sounds of silence from the Heels crowd in the last minute as defeat sunk in was delicious.

Indoor66
02-11-2019, 09:36 PM
They beat themselves. That's all you have to know.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2019, 09:52 PM
I'm just glad MJ, the Best Basketball Player in History (tm) was there.

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 09:58 PM

One might say that if they had a true point guard, he would have realized the shot clock was winding down rather than dribbling aimlessly 30 feet from the basket when there were three seconds left. They almost had another shot clock expire with under a minute left, as they rebounded an air ball and didn't realize it hadn't reset. So maybe a little bad luck that he didn't get it off in time but also White should take some responsibility for being in that position to begin with. On UVA's last possession they ran off a good 15-20 seconds before UNC fouled them, they clearly had no idea what they were supposed to do.

I did not realize that Black and Manley were also unavailable for this game. They're not starters or anything, but they do play some minutes. It would be like us not having Goldwire and Delaurier, and then on top of that we lose Jack White for most of the game and Cam Reddish for several minutes down the stretch. Maybe not as significant as having to play the whole game without Tre (which we did), but still a factor.

ChillinDuke
02-11-2019, 10:05 PM
I watched the first half at the airport and then went dark for an hour in flight.

The smile I had on reentry was delightful.

- Chillin

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 10:29 PM
I saw 3 things tonight while watching the UNC-UVA game that I'm wondering if anyone else saw.

If need be, I'll go through my recording to get names, but here they are:

At one point, either Jerome or Guy drive the right side of the key and get called for a charge. The Carolina player goes down and appears to lift his leg in an attempt to trip Jerome/Guy. Mrs. BandAlum83 saw this immediately. The replays clearly showed it. No call.

Second half, UNC gets called for clock shot violation. UNC player retrieves the ball visibly upset and chucks the ball nearly into the stands. The ref at the end line has to jump to get even a piece of it. No technical foul called. this happened at the under 8:00 time out, I think. I expected to come back from the break and see a UVA player on the FT l line.

Late in the game, under 2:00, I think. UVA with ball and up by 2. Jerome or Guy with the ball on the 3 pt line. UVA player cuts to the corner, receives pass and takes uncontested 3. How does UNC even begin to give up a shot like that in that situation?

I really do hate the Heels. They looked very unimpressive tonight. GTH.

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Late in the game, under 2:00, I think. UVA with ball and up by 2. Jerome or Guy with the ball on the 3 pt line. UVA player cuts to the corner, receives pass and takes uncontested 3. How does UNC even begin to give up a shot like that in that situation?

I watched the replay of that play a couple times. Kenny Williams is guarding Guy, who runs through the lane and then cuts to the corner while Williams has his head turned. Williams then gets screened by his own man, preventing him from closing out on Guy who drills the wide open three. Williams was also late closing out on the following possession (I think) where Guy hit the three and also got fouled by Williams who got there late. (LOL at Bilas claiming Guy leaned in and initiated the contact, he couldn't be more wrong about that).

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
I watched the replay of that play a couple times. Kenny Williams is guarding Guy, who runs through the lane and then cuts to the corner while Williams has his head turned. Williams then gets screened by his own man, preventing him from closing out on Guy who drills the wide open three. Williams was also late closing out on the following possession (I think) where Guy hit the three and also got fouled by Williams who got there late. (LOL at Bilas claiming Guy leaned in and initiated the contact, he couldn't be more wrong about that).

Thanks so much for responding and breaking it down for me. I was watching with the wife, or I would have rewound and slo-mo'd that one.

If those plays are typical of Williams ability on the defensive end, we should be able to exploit that. I imaging White will guard Trey, Williams would be on Cam, maybe?

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

I am so much less fearful of UNC after seeing tonight's game.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
That is still a impressive win for UVA. Cam only left for couple of minutes and Little does not have a great game when he is on the court...missing shots and defense position...

Do you suggest Diakite leave Duke UVA game early as injure actually cost UVA to win the game on last Saturday? As Cam and Little today, I don't think that play much factor to affect the game result

No, very different situations for a number of reasons, and you've jumped into an on going discussion and are not aware of the context. I said pre game that I thought the turn around/ rest situation for Virginia was much more brutal than on the Heels for about three reasons. I listed those reasons. As such I highly doubted Virginia would win.

After the game, a couple of snippy comments were made at me regarding my prediction and the reasons for it. Of course, I didn't know that Little would go down early and Johnson would go down later. Had I known that (nobody could know) I would have certainly said that could nullify the travel/time deficit UVa was facing.

Virginia was tired, emotionally and physically, and it was a disadvantage. The injuries to the Heels were a disadvantage the other way that countered them. So to overlook the injuries to UNC and then mock the fatigue situation for UVa is simply a disingenuous analysis of what really happened.

What really happened is that a very tired Virginia team gutted out a tremendous win....one that very well might not have happened without two turned ankles.

As for Diakite and the game on Saturday, it was certainly a factor. But no, i would not say it cost UVa the win. Those were two teams coming into a big time game with ample rest and time to be emotionally charged up. Totally different situation than tonight.

duketaylor
02-11-2019, 10:37 PM
This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively). They should be Elite 8 bound, at the very least. Feel the same for our Devils.

Heels have impressed more than I expected. Sad, but true. ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.

-jk
02-11-2019, 10:40 PM
This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively). They should be Elite 8 bound, at the very least. Feel the same for our Devils.

Heels have impressed more than I expected. Sad, but true. ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.

We have a long history of eating our young...

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 10:41 PM
One might say that if they had a true point guard, he would have realized the shot clock was winding down rather than dribbling aimlessly 30 feet from the basket when there were three seconds left. They almost had another shot clock expire with under a minute left, as they rebounded an air ball and didn't realize it hadn't reset. So maybe a little bad luck that he didn't get it off in time but also White should take some responsibility for being in that position to begin with. On UVA's last possession they ran off a good 15-20 seconds before UNC fouled them, they clearly had no idea what they were supposed to do.

I did not realize that Black and Manley were also unavailable for this game. They're not starters or anything, but they do play some minutes. It would be like us not having Goldwire and Delaurier, and then on top of that we lose Jack White for most of the game and Cam Reddish for several minutes down the stretch. Maybe not as significant as having to play the whole game without Tre (which we did), but still a factor.

Agree on both your points above....I would say that the waving off of that three was a turning point....tough for the Heels to take.....though your analysis of it is correct in that it was self inflicted. Emotionally they would've been better off had it simply missed and UVa got the rebound. Funny how stuff like that impacts the ebb and flow of a game, and an outcome.

And yeah, a total of four injuries for the Heels was a big factor.

pfrduke
02-11-2019, 10:42 PM
ACC, very strong at the top, pretty good in the middle and very weak at the bottom, imo.

Completely agree with this. The lower middle of the conference has really disappointed this season. To have 6 teams that are just completely out of it at this point is (to my recollection) an unusually high number. We may have 6 ACC teams that finish with an under .500 regular season record - not good.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 10:52 PM
Not that I wouldn’t have - strongly - preferred to have beaten y’all, but it certainly makes our remaining schedule scenarios simpler to game out when our only losses are courtesy of Duke.

You should *much* prefer beating the hated h**ls. We're the good guys. We don't cheat. Remember that. ;)

devildeac
02-11-2019, 10:54 PM
And the had to overcome Luke Maye’s 4 points on 2 of 10 shooting.

I'll vote for him for MOTM. Hell, make it acc POTW. Maybe even national POTW. :rolleyes:

devildeac
02-11-2019, 11:00 PM

Bilas wrong? Preposterous! :rolleyes:

devildeac
02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Thanks so much for responding and breaking it down for me. I was watching with the wife, or I would have rewound and slo-mo'd that one.

If those plays are typical of Williams ability on the defensive end, we should be able to exploit that. I imaging White will guard Trey, Williams would be on Cam, maybe?

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

Fear the swoff:mad:.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Bilas wrong? Preposterous! :rolleyes:

He did say tonight that he has a degree in Omniscience, as well as law and med degrees......

W&LHoo
02-11-2019, 11:08 PM
You should *much* prefer beating the hated h**ls. We're the good guys. We don't cheat. Remember that. ;)

I meant I prefer winning to losing, not beating y’all to beating the heels. But I look forward to playing Duke (at least) once more this season.

devildeac
02-11-2019, 11:15 PM
I meant I prefer winning to losing, not beating y’all to beating the heels. But I look forward to playing Duke (at least) once more this season.

Gotcha/understood. ;)

jhmoss1812
02-11-2019, 11:22 PM
This year's UVA team couldn't lose to a 16 seed if they tried, way too good, offensively (and defensively)

Literally the only game I will be nervous for all year if it occurs. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll watch. But I have to reverse jinx this right now. Not cool man :)

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Johnson on RJ?

Maye on Zion, LOL???

No prob; I get way too much joy out of watching the CHeats lose, to the extent that I have to go back and watch all the highlights. Williams has a reputation as being an excellent defender. I haven’t watched them enough to know whether this is actually true, or whether he’s just a terrible shooter and so people assume he has to be good at something LOL. Maye on Zion is going to be great (for us). If there’s one thing Maye cannot handle, it’s tough physical opponents. We saw Bagley go all Teen Wolf on him last season in Cameron, Zion will be more of the same.

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Here’s a great slow-mo replay of the first Guy three. It looks like UVA is setting up an elevator screen for him on the other side of the court, but then he fakes and goes to the opposite side. Amazingly well-designed play.

Link (https://twitter.com/halfcourthoops/status/1095146540912517120)

Gooch
02-12-2019, 12:29 AM

Was curious to read this because I was getting a bit of cognitive dissonance tonight...seemed like limited offensive rebounds and no inside game for the heels tonite. And almost no fast breaks/ secondary breaks...weird.

I haven’t watched any uNC games this season, so was really trying to figure out how we would matchup with themehile watching tonight. From watching this game I really liked how our defense could counter Carolina’s offensive strengths: Tre could neutralize White; our Cam could
cover their Cam; etc. etc.

But now I worry that because of the in-game injuries + the fact that UVA is so good at taking teams out of their game (pack line & pace) I didn’t get a real sense of what makes the heels so tough.

I do like our chances though...I feel like we have better players 1-4 (maybe 5?)...

shjiang
02-12-2019, 05:28 AM
Don't get mad, homers. After watch our game and Cheats VS UVA, I do think the roster setting and play of this UVA team is very like our Duke 2010 team. Not saying they are necessary good as Duke 2010 champion team. You can say Tony Bennett team does not have winning gene in their vein, but I just compare the style of play and efficiency. Also 2010 our NCs team was the slowest tempo team at 229th among all Kenpom Duke team from 2002.

Very experienced defense team, 3 head monster scorer all from perimeter (Jerome, Guy, Hunter), pairing with blue collar muscle big guys ( Salt, Diakite, Keys, Huff). They don't have NBA level one on ones scorer, but are very good at curl, off screen shooting, which is quite efficient in UNC tonight game.

And similar setting with 2010 Duke team. Of course better scoring stats than this UVA team, since our 2010 team is still faster temp than this UVA team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-12-2019, 06:17 AM
Don't get mad, homers. After watch our game and Cheats VS UVA, I do think the roster setting and play of this UVA team is very like our Duke 2010 team. Not saying they are necessary good as Duke 2010 champion team. You can say Tony Bennett team does not have winning gene in their vein, but I just compare the style of play and efficiency. Also 2010 our NCs team was the slowest tempo team at 229th among all Kenpom Duke team from 2002.

Very experienced defense team, 3 head monster scorer all from perimeter (Jerome, Guy, Hunter), pairing with blue collar muscle big guys ( Salt, Diakite, Keys, Huff). They don't have NBA level one on ones scorer, but are very good at curl, off screen shooting, which is quite efficient in UNC tonight game.

And similar setting with 2010 Duke team. Of course better scoring stats than this UVA team, since our 2010 team is still faster temp than this UVA team.

But 2010 Duke did not have to deal with 2019 Duke...

lotusland
02-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Here’s a great slow-mo replay of the first Guy three. It looks like UVA is setting up an elevator screen for him on the other side of the court, but then he fakes and goes to the opposite side. Amazingly well-designed play.

Link (https://twitter.com/halfcourthoops/status/1095146540912517120)

Just another example that almost every screen is a moving screen. Huff probably didn’t need to lean into the chasing defenders in order to spring Guy but that’s a foul.

jv001
02-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Aren't you a homer? I agree this VA team is very good and very well coached. GoDuke!

Troublemaker
02-12-2019, 08:23 AM
{a long explanation}

Though I didn't bet UNC in Degenerates, I definitely leaned that way and largely agreed with your and others' pregame analysis. But pro tip: all that is irrelevant, and you should let this one go. When DBR smells blood in the water (the blood in this case being you continuing to defend your pick), DBR will have fun with it (and very often I'd be one of the sharks). Again, there is no snark in my post, just concern for a fellow Degenerate. Your analysis may very well have been perfect, but that's irrelevant and should be let go.

jv001
02-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Though I didn't bet UNC in Degenerates, I definitely leaned that way and largely agreed with your and others' pregame analysis. But pro tip: all that is irrelevant, and you should let this one go. When DBR smells blood in the water (the blood in this case being you continuing to defend your pick), DBR will have fun with it (and very often I'd be one of the sharks). Again, there is no snark in my post, just concern for a fellow Degenerate. Your analysis may very well have been perfect, but that's irrelevant and should be let go.

Lucy, I smell some posts being deleted(not TM's) soon. :cool:GoDuke!

UrinalCake
02-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Aren't you a homer? I agree this VA team is very good and very well coached. GoDuke!

I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)

jv001
02-12-2019, 08:38 AM
I think he meant to say homies. I’ve enjoyed shjiang’s posts on the other board. Definite similarities between 2019 UVA and 2010 Duke, though let’s hope they don’t win it all because we’ll be the ones hanging a banner 8-)

Thanks UC for the explanation. GoDuke!

BD80
02-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Maybe Jay Bilas can get an honorary degree from the cheats.

I've got a roll of them in my bathroom if he wants one ...

He did say tonight that he has a degree in Omniscience, as well as law and med degrees...

I can customize it however he would like; the only font available is Old Shaky Hand Sharpie Technical

DukieInBrasil
02-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Completely agree with this. The lower middle of the conference has really disappointed this season. To have 6 teams that are just completely out of it at this point is (to my recollection) an unusually high number. We may have 6 ACC teams that finish with an under .500 regular season record - not good.

I've got a roll of them in my bathroom if he wants one ...

I can customize it however he would like; the only font available is Old Shaky Hand Sharpie Technical

must spread sporks etc...
I enjoyed that jab!

Kfanarmy
02-12-2019, 08:50 AM

Is this an attempt to jinx?

Kfanarmy
02-12-2019, 08:55 AM
But Bilas said Guy clipped him and Bilas is never wrong. HBCK must be blind��

Bilas is full of BS. Swofford must be feeding his wallet somehow.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Bilas is full of BS. Swofford must be feeding his wallet somehow.

Bilas has one thing in common with Dan Bonner....(Bonner is worse at this particular thing, Bilas more annoying over all): That is, they'll talk through a replay that clearly shows a missed call and they'll just ignore it.....as if we didn't all see it. Do they think we're blind and stupid?

On this particular play, Johnson was out of control, and Guy clearly turned his back and simply tried to run away to AVOID the foul. There was very little contact, and what contact there was resulted from Johnson's lack of control. How do you foul someone when your back is to them and you're getting out of the way????

Bonner is annoying like this too....especially on the phantom "and ones" that refs love to call. I've seen Bonner yak through a replay that clearly showed atmosphere between the two players, and act like the foul was correct call.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2019, 09:06 AM
I think Bonner is great. Agree though that he tries to explain the call or no call instead of disagreeing with it where warranted.

Bilas looks for faults and controversy. Bonner is a happy narrator still Sailing with the Pilot.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 09:11 AM
I think Bonner is great. Agree though that he tries to explain the call or no call instead of disagreeing with it where warranted.

Bilas looks for faults and controversy. Bonner is a happy narrator still Sailing with the Pilot.

Yeah Bonner is the happy "see no evil hear no evil" camper.....who simply talks over a replay as if it's a good call, regardless of what the replay shows. Bilas is sanctimonious....cloying.....grating....preachy.

shjiang
02-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks for clarification, Urinal. Post in midnight is like hangover. Great to join this forum and discuss Duke!

English
02-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Anyone weauxing about the "throw your head back to draw a foul call" move should avoid watching Coby White at all costs. He's a fun, dynamic player to watch, generally, but he takes that move to another level. Again. And again. And again.

Fun game to watch last night.

Rich
02-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Anyone weauxing about the "throw your head back to draw a foul call" move should avoid watching Coby White at all costs.

Haven’t seen THAT guy around here lately.

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Just another example that almost every screen is a moving screen. Huff probably didn’t need to lean into the chasing defenders in order to spring Guy but that’s a foul.

Unless he was leaning into Zion, no defender would have been able to get there in time. No advantage was gained.

Troublemaker
02-12-2019, 10:48 AM
I can see this. I'd add that UVa's pack line defense isn't all that different from compact man-to-man Duke used in 2010.

The two defenses were still vastly different. Duke 2010 was still 11th in the country in holding down opponent 3-pt attempts and was only 122nd in the country in defensive rebounding pct. UVA, on the other hand, routinely ranks low in giving up 3-pt attempts (215th in the country this season) and high in defensive rebounding (52nd this season, which is lower than usual for them).

Ultimately, while Duke 2010 was more compact than previous versions of Duke, we still denied the wing pass on defense and pressured the ball out high using Nolan Smith, often for 70 to 94 feet. (Note: UVA does pressure the ball but rarely as far out as Duke.) That's how you limit 3-pt attempts, and wing denial defense sometimes gives up defensive rebounding position. UVA's defense, on the other hand, allows the wing pass and has their wings playing in the gaps (creating the "pack").

Yeah, Duke 2019 might be Kentucky 2010 in the comparison. It's unbelievable that they had John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Darius Miller on the same team. That's two All-Stars, another very high quality NBA starter in Bledsoe, a high quality rotation player (once upon a time) in Patterson, and another current rotation wing in Miller. Duke 2019 would do well to match that.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Duke 2019 might be Kentucky 2010 in the comparison. It's unbelievable that they had John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patterson, and Darius Miller on the same team. That's two All-Stars, another very high quality NBA starter in Bledsoe, a high quality rotation player (once upon a time) in Patterson, and another current rotation wing in Miller. Duke 2019 would do well to match that.

I was frankly thrilled when 2010 Kentucky and 2015 Kentucky were taken out of our way by WVA and Wiscy in the NCAAT. Match ups, the draw of the bracket, upsets in your bracket, etc, all the variables that play into who actually cuts down the nets. Being the best, or one of the best teams, is only a start.

sagegrouse
02-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Bonner smiles too much; Bilas needs to smile more. Whatever happened to Bill Raftery, who treated hoops like it was a game?

duke2x
02-12-2019, 11:16 AM

There's one major difference between KY 2010 and Duke 2019 people are leaving out. KY won a bunch of close games, many against bad teams, that it should have lost. They lost to the first good team they played in the NCAAs just as I predicted. :) Duke 2019 still has KenPom luck of 0. We're 1-2 in close games.

wilson
02-12-2019, 11:26 AM
I was frankly thrilled when 2010 Kentucky and 2015 Kentucky were taken out of our way by WVA and Wiscy in the NCAAT. Match ups, the draw of the bracket, upsets in your bracket, etc, all the variables that play into who actually cuts down the nets. Being the best, or one of the best teams, is only a start.In a similar vein, this is probably the loudest cheer I've ever uttered for a non-Duke tournament play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwqEz50ipY

robed deity
02-12-2019, 11:33 AM
The two defenses were still vastly different. Duke 2010 was still 11th in the country in holding down opponent 3-pt attempts and was only 122nd in the country in defensive rebounding pct. UVA, on the other hand, routinely ranks low in giving up 3-pt attempts (215th in the country this season) and high in defensive rebounding (52nd this season, which is lower than usual for them).

Ultimately, while Duke 2010 was more compact than previous versions of Duke, we still denied the wing pass on defense and pressured the ball out high using Nolan Smith, often for 70 to 94 feet. (Note: UVA does pressure the ball but rarely as far out as Duke.) That's how you limit 3-pt attempts, and wing denial defense sometimes gives up defensive rebounding position. UVA's defense, on the other hand, allows the wing pass and has their wings playing in the gaps (creating the "pack").

I've thought about the Kentucky comparison too. I was surprised to see them 22nd in offensive efficiency, albeit post-tournament.

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 11:34 AM
In a similar vein, this is probably the loudest cheer I've ever uttered for a non-Duke tournament play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwqEz50ipY

Why is the color commentator screaming "You can't be serious with that shot?" It was a wide open 3 in transition.

I know the clock was running down and they maybe should have tried to run clock, but wasn't that a high percentage shot?

wilson
02-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Why is the color commentator screaming "You can't be serious with that shot?" It was a wide open 3 in transition.

I know the clock was running down and they maybe should have tried to run clock, but wasn't that a high percentage shot?It was because he shot so early in the shot clock. Northern Iowa had led the overall #1 seed basically the entire game, but it had gotten tight in the closing moments and UNI was showing perhaps signs of cracking under pressure and blowing their lead. They had the opportunity to run the shot clock down to ~7 seconds, still with a lead.
But instead, Farokhmanesh went for the dagger, and, well, here we are talking about it almost 9 years(?!?!) later.

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 11:43 AM
It was because he shot so early in the shot clock. Northern Iowa had led the overall #1 seed basically the entire game, but it had gotten tight in the closing moments and UNI was showing perhaps signs of cracking under pressure and blowing their lead. They had the opportunity to run the shot clock down to ~7 seconds, still with a lead.
But instead, Farokhmanesh went for the dagger, and, well, here we are talking about it almost 9 years(?!?!) later.

Mid majors play with no fear and often do the unexpected or "best" play. It's why March MAdness is so great, babyyyyyyyyyyy!

devildeac
02-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Bonner smiles too much; Bilas needs to smile more. Whatever happened to Bill Raftery, who treated hoops like it was a game?

"DBR:
While we’re talking, let me offer you some free advice
Talk less

Bilas:
What?

DBR:
Smile more"

(The participants *may* have been changed :o.)

NSDukeFan
02-12-2019, 03:52 PM
espn "gametracker" really wacky. A minute ago it showed cheats 62/Good guys 59, now Hoos 61 and cheats 59. Can they take away another 3-5 points from the cheats? Please?

Clear demonstration of how good Virginia’s defense is.

AGDukesky
02-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Clear demonstration of how good Virginia’s defense is.

Or how much ESPN wants UNC to win...

Truth&Justise
02-12-2019, 04:05 PM

I know the clock was running down and they maybe should have tried to run clock, but wasn't that a high percentage shot?

It was because he shot so early in the shot clock. Northern Iowa had led the overall #1 seed basically the entire game, but it had gotten tight in the closing moments and UNI was showing perhaps signs of cracking under pressure and blowing their lead. They had the opportunity to run the shot clock down to ~7 seconds, still with a lead.

To illustrate the point further, you're right that an open 3 in transition is a "high percentage shot," but it's not as good as getting two free throws.

Let's say an open transition three is a good look because you hit it about 40% of the time. That would mean you have an expected return of 1.2 points. That's good!

But in that situation, Kansas had to foul.* The expected value of two free throws for Farokhmanesh, an 81% free throw shooter, is 1.62 points.

So holding the ball, wasting any amount of time, and then shooting free throws is generally the better strategy. What Farokhmanesh did was way riskier, but much more fun. And a hell of a way to cap off an upset over the overall #1 team!

*It's possible Kansas would have opted not to foul, but then it would have, at best, regained the ball with about seven second left, down 1. If I'm coaching a team, I'd much prefer to foul and have the ball with 30+ seconds while down by 2 or 3.

PackMan97
02-12-2019, 05:00 PM
To illustrate the point further, you're right that an open 3 in transition is a "high percentage shot," but it's not as good as getting two free throws.

Let's say an open transition three is a good look because you hit it about 40% of the time. That would mean you have an expected return of 1.2 points. That's good!

But in that situation, Kansas had to foul.* The expected value of two free throws for Farokhmanesh, an 81% free throw shooter, is 1.62 points.

So holding the ball, wasting any amount of time, and then shooting free throws is generally the better strategy. What Farokhmanesh did was way riskier, but much more fun. And a hell of a way to cap off an upset over the overall #1 team!

*It's possible Kansas would have opted not to foul, but then it would have, at best, regained the ball with about seven second left, down 1. If I'm coaching a team, I'd much prefer to foul and have the ball with 30+ seconds while down by 2 or 3.

You neglect to include the chances of Northern Iowa choking up a turnover or giving the refs a chance to blow a whistle in favor of Kansas.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Mid majors play with no fear and often do the unexpected or "best" play. It's why March MAdness is so great, babyyyyyyyyyyy!

True, but I remember watching that game and thinking WTF ARE YOU DOING when he launched it. Classic case of no no no - yes yes yes....and that game was almost as much fun as Georgetown-Florida Gulf Coast....

Truth&Justise
02-12-2019, 05:48 PM
True, but I remember watching that game and thinking WTF ARE YOU DOING when he launched it. Classic case of no no no - yes yes yes...and that game was almost as much fun as Georgetown-Florida Gulf Coast...

My second favorite "no no no no...YES!" shot that didn't involve Duke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ezWOsBn7w

(Sorry for the video quality. I think one of the pixels in there somewhere is Jim Boeheim)

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 06:03 PM

(Sorry for the video quality. I think one of the pixels in there somewhere is Jim Boeheim)

Mid majors play with no fear!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-13-2019, 11:57 AM

That video just reminds me of how UNCA got hosed at the end of a round of 64 game against Syracuse. Several very questionable calls. Grrrrr...

Bob Green
02-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Wednesday

[73]Miami (2-9) (+2) hosts [31]Clemson (5-5) (7:00, ESPN2)
[22]Florida State (6-4) (-18) hosts [176]Wake Forest (7:00, ACCNE)
[10]Virginia Tech (7-4) (-15) hosts [102]Georgia Tech (3-8) (8:00, ACCNE)
[39]NC State (5-6) (-4) hosts [42]Syracuse (8-3) (8:00, ACCNE)

Tonight's action includes several match ups which interest me.

First, Clemson seeking its five straight victory travels to Miami. The Canes are coming off an overtime loss at Chapel Hill. Clemson is back in the NCAAT discussion so they need to take care of business in Coral Gables. I'll be rooting for the Tigers as I believe Brad Brownell is doing a good job and I'd like to see him have the opportunity to keep building a program at Clemson. Plus, Miami is one of those teams it is almost always fun to see lose.

Next, Virginia Tech attempts to halt their losing streak at two games. The Hokies are extremely shorthanded without point guard Justin Robinson. Can they gut out win over heavy underdog Georgia Tech? With upcoming games against UVa, Duke and FSU, Virginia Tech cannot afford to lose to Georgia Tech. Go Yellow Jackets!

Finally, N.C. State attempts to even their ACC record at 6-6 against Syracuse (8-3). State will have to find a way to make some shots against the Orange zone or it will be a long night. Syracuse is still in the running for a double bye in the ACCT so they should be plenty motivated to knock off the Wolfpack. I fully expect Syracuse to win but, out of respect for the "old ACC", I will hold my nose and root for State.

CDu
02-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Tonight's action includes several match ups which interest me.

First, Clemson seeking its five straight victory travels to Miami. The Canes are coming off an overtime loss at Chapel Hill. Clemson is back in the NCAAT discussion so they need to take care of business in Coral Gables. I'll be rooting for the Tigers as I believe Brad Brownell is doing a good job and I'd like to see him have the opportunity to keep building a program at Clemson. Plus, Miami is one of those teams it is almost always fun to see lose.

Next, Virginia Tech attempts to halt their losing streak at two games. The Hokies are extremely shorthanded without point guard Justin Robinson. Can they gut out win over heavy underdog Georgia Tech? With upcoming games against UVa, Duke and FSU, Virginia Tech cannot afford to lose to Georgia Tech. Go Yellow Jackets!

Finally, N.C. State attempts to even their ACC record at 6-6 against Syracuse (8-3). State will have to find a way to make some shots against the Orange zone or it will be a long night. Syracuse is still in the running for a double bye in the ACCT so they should be plenty motivated to knock off the Wolfpack. I fully expect Syracuse to win but, out of respect for the "old ACC", I will hold my nose and root for State.

If State wins tonight (and they are favored as (a) the slightly better team and (b) at home), they will be in a really good position to make the NCAA tourney again. They have four games left against Wake, Ga Tech, and BC. Win those and they will be at 10-8 with wins over other bubblicious teams Clemson, Auburn, and Syracuse. They came up just short against Wisconsin and UVa in games that would have made them more secure. But the back end of their schedule is really nice.

dukelifer
02-13-2019, 10:02 PM
If State wins tonight (and they are favored as (a) the slightly better team and (b) at home), they will be in a really good position to make the NCAA tourney again. They have four games left against Wake, Ga Tech, and BC. Win those and they will be at 10-8 with wins over other bubblicious teams Clemson, Auburn, and Syracuse. They came up just short against Wisconsin and UVa in games that would have made them more secure. But the back end of their schedule is really nice.

They killed Cuse so it looks like they have a good shot. Hopefully a hangover for Sat.

CDu
02-13-2019, 10:03 PM
Big win for the Wuffies. Now hopefully they have it out of their system in time for our game Saturday.

Bob Green
02-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Saturday

[13]Louisville (8-3) (-7) hosts [31]Clemson (5-5) (12:00, ESPN)
[176]Wake Forest (2-8) (+17) hosts [8]North Carolina (9-1) (12:00, ACCNE)
[2]Virginia (8-2) (-19) hosts [89]Notre Dame (3-8) (2:00, ACCNE)
[102]Georgia Tech (3-8) (+5) hosts [22]Florida State (6-4) (2:00, ACCNE)
[77]Pittsburgh (2-9) (+6) hosts [10]Virginia Tech (7-4) (4:30, ACCNE)
[1]Duke (9-1) (-19) hosts [39]NC State (5-6) (6:00, ESPN)

It's Saturday so a bump back to the top is in order to facilitate discussing today's full slate of action. Bubble teams Clemson and N.C. State (they are bubble teams in my opinion) both face tough tests on the road. Clemson's situation is more perilous than State so the Tigers need a win big time. The big unknown is how Louisville reacts to their collapse on Tuesday. Do they come out fired up seeking redemption? Or, do they play like a team whose soul has been crushed? Even with a loss, State most likely stays on the right side of the bubble for now.

The teams vying for ACCT double bye seeding (Duke/UVa/UNC/VT/Louisville) all have match ups they should win which means at least one team will probably lose. That's why they play the games.

BandAlum83
02-16-2019, 11:33 AM
It's Saturday so a bump back to the top is in order to facilitate discussing today's full slate of action. Bubble teams Clemson and N.C. State (they are bubble teams in my opinion) both face tough tests on the road. Clemson's situation is more perilous than State so the Tigers need a win big time. The big unknown is how Louisville reacts to their collapse on Tuesday. Do they come out fired up seeking redemption? Or, do they play like a team whose soul has been crushed? Even with a loss, State most likely stays on the right side of the bubble for now.

The teams vying for ACCT double bye seeding (Duke/UVa/UNC/VT/Louisville) all have match ups they should win which means at least one team will probably lose. That's why they play the games.

Clemson really needs this win badly. Maybe they will smell some residual blood in the water and go for a quick knockout punch on Louisville. I think they will wilt under pressure and L'ville will right the ship. Clemson will do well to go 4-3 over their remaining 7 games. 3-4 seems more likely, but this game may set the tome for their stretch run.

With the returning core from last year's sweet 16 team, Clemson should not be in this position (on the bubble).

Today is a big game, with Fl State looming next.

I have my fake bets on Louisville, but am rooting for Clemson (and the over 131.5)

arnie
02-16-2019, 12:30 PM
I know the buyout is huge, but surely Wake has a wealthy supporter that’s fed up. Wake down at HOME to Cheats 32-7 with seven to go in 1st half. Crowd is very quiet and probably more cheat fans there.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 12:32 PM
I know the buyout is huge, but surely Wake has a wealthy supporter that’s fed up. Wake down at HOME to Cheats 32-7 with seven to go in 1st half. Crowd is very quiet and probably more cheat fans there.

HAH, I just posted on the degenerate thread that maybe Wake will pull a Carl Franks and fire Danny at half...(mostly kidding...)

The good news, the cheats are 7-9 from three.....hope they get that out of their system.....

arnie
02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
HAH, I just posted on the degenerate thread that maybe Wake will pull a Carl Franks and fire Danny at half...(mostly kidding...)

The good news, the cheats are 7-9 from three....hope they get that out of their system....

We could not blame them if they showed him the door in a few moments. Fortunately for us, don’t think Franks had a big buyout provision.😀

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 12:39 PM
We could not blame them if they showed him the door in a few moments. Fortunately for us, don’t think Franks had a big buyout provision.😀

Wake is a low revenue athletic department for Power 5.......their athletic department may have to declare chapter 11 bankruptcy (re-organization) or live with Manning......(again only part kidding).

dukelifer
02-16-2019, 12:49 PM

The good news, the cheats are 7-9 from three....hope they get that out of their system....

UNC shooting 75% overall. They are crazy dangerous when hot.

richardjackson199
02-16-2019, 12:54 PM

UNC shooting 75% overall from 3. 9/12 from 3 at halftime. Not scared. Duke can play a little D and Cameron will be rocking a bit more than Joel. Just win tonight and stay healthy.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 12:55 PM

True, but they're not likely to have this kind of shooting two games in a row...and of course WF is sleep walking on defense...

And on that 9-12....I wonder if that includes that 80 foot heave at the buzzer.......

richardjackson199
02-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Wake only down 37 in 2nd half. Time for Wake to start their epic comeback...

(Johnson now 6-6 from 3)

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 01:13 PM

(Johnson now 6-6 from 3)

Childress has equalled Beverly's oh for 12 from the VT game....and Childress still has 15 minutes to miss.

Green Wave Dukie
02-16-2019, 01:18 PM

(Johnson now 6-6 from 3)

I hate the Cheats. They are pace to score 105 points in the game, and I put 400 fake $$ on the over, and they are on a pace to not even make it. (I guess my angst should be directed at Wake for their lack of being able to score, but I hope you all will forgive me if I direct it toward Chapel Hill).

richardjackson199
02-16-2019, 01:24 PM
I hate the Cheats. They are pace to score 105 points in the game, and I put 400 fake $$ on the over, and they are on a pace to not even make it. (I guess my angst should be directed at Wake for their lack of being able to score, but I hope you all will forgive me if I direct it toward Chapel Hill).

I feel you. I picked the Cheats to cover and they're going to screw up my losing percentage by making me right. ;) Hopefully Wed night provides lots of satisfaction for us all! But win first tonight and stay healthy! :cool:

devildeac
02-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Darn shame WFU forgot they had a game scheduled at noon today :mad:.

arnie
02-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Darn shame WFU forgot they had a game scheduled at noon today :mad:.

At least they’ve slowed down the Nassir train. Last time I checked he had an NBA wowing 4 pts and 1 bound.

Green Wave Dukie
02-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Louisville now up 1 with the ball and 3 seconds left. They couldn't possibly lose this could they? I think they were up 7 with 17 seconds left.

Green Wave Dukie
02-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Louisville now up 1 with the ball and 3 seconds left. They couldn't possibly lose this could they? I think they were up 7 with 17 seconds left.

well, yes, they COULD have lost, and about did. Wow. What an ending.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 02:07 PM
well, yes, they COULD have lost, and about did. Wow. What an ending.

Louisville made just about every boneheaded mistake a team could make in the last minute. Cue Brookshier and the IQ comment......

devildeac
At least they’ve slowed down the Nassir train. Last time I checked he had an NBA wowing 4 pts and 1 bound.

Only dean's myth could keep Jordan under 20 PPG (or something like that). Guess ol roy is a chip off the old block. :rolleyes:

Wahoo2000
Regular season Louisville chokes harder than postseason UVA. (rim shot)

Indoor66
02-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Louisville made just about every boneheaded mistake a team could make in the last minute. Cue Brookshier and the IQ comment...

Not a confidence builder for Louisville.

richardjackson199
02-16-2019, 02:13 PM

In fairness Little is coming off a sprained ankle injury and it was not clear if he would even play today.

Yes I think Roy's coaching of him has been putrid and held him back this year. But I would throw out today as a data point.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Correct IMO - they managed to win....and still erode their confidence even further. Cost me a bunch of FMU points on the degenerates too....They were up 8 under a minute....day yum.

richardjackson199
02-16-2019, 02:19 PM

True, but the win will help them. They only had 19 points in the first half today. Hangover.

Remember the great Maryland Final 4 Team from 2001 who After losing to Duke in the miracle comeback then also lost 4 out of their next 5 games. It can be a tough psychological hurdle to overcome. But the win today helps them get back on track IMO. It could not have been uglier at the end, but they came away with the much needed W. Mack is a great coach and they will be fine.

robed deity
02-16-2019, 02:52 PM
I've never seen a team look more dejected after a win than Louisville today.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-16-2019, 02:59 PM
I've never seen a team look more dejected after a win than Louisville today.

They're a total basket case, and they know it.

AGDukesky
02-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Notre Dame is really battling hard. UVA is a bit off offensively but it just can’t maintain a working lead. I have to believe eventually Virginia will pull away but the constant grinding might be too much.

Wahoo2000
02-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Notre Dame is really battling hard. UVA is a bit off offensively but it just can’t maintain a working lead. I have to believe eventually Virginia will pull away but the constant grinding might be too much.

Never did really pull away, but hung on. We didn't even play poorly overall. Defense was good, we didn't turn it over, rebounded well, worked for (and got) quality shots on offense. EVERYONE besides Hunter and Guy just had awful days shooting the ball. Guy and Hunter were 13-26 from the field, the rest of the team was 6-26. We just didn't look 100% dialed in, I think.

Hopefully a better effort comes @VT on Monday. They (and their crowd) will certainly be up for a game vs a top 5 ranked rival. And while they're much worse off without Robinson, they HAVE been starting to figure out chemistry/how to play without him. On another short turnaround, I hope we're ready.

devildeac
02-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Never did really pull away, but hung on. We didn't even play poorly overall. Defense was good, we didn't turn it over, rebounded well, worked for (and got) quality shots on offense. EVERYONE besides Hunter and Guy just had awful days shooting the ball. Guy and Hunter were 13-26 from the field, the rest of the team was 6-26. We just didn't look 100% dialed in, I think.

Hopefully a better effort comes @VT on Monday. They (and their crowd) will certainly be up for a game vs a top 5 ranked rival. And while they're much worse off without Robinson, they HAVE been starting to figure out chemistry/how to play without him. On another short turnaround, I hope we're ready.

Hopefully, that 149 mile/2+ hour bus ride is not too tiring/strenuous ;).

Plus, VT has to travel allllllll the way back from Pittsburgh tonight :eek:.

Wahoo2000
02-16-2019, 04:30 PM
Hopefully, that 149 mile/2+ hour bus ride is not too tiring/strenuous ;).

Plus, VT has to travel allllllll the way back from Pittsburgh tonight :eek:.

Yeah, it's an easy trip, and despite heavy minutes from today's game for our best guys, ND played a ton of zone so not nearly so much energy exerted. VT's game starts 2 1/2 hours later and they're really playing basically a 6 man rotation at this point, so if anything we'll have an edge in "rest".

left_hook_lacey
02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
In fairness Little is coming off a sprained ankle injury and it was not clear if he would even play today.

Yes I think Roy's coaching of him has been putrid and held him back this year. But I would throw out today as a data point.

To be even more fair, he left the court in the first half for a stomach issue and never returned.

curtis325
02-16-2019, 05:44 PM
To be even more fair, he left the court in the first half for a stomach issue and never returned.

Couldn't stomach the way Roy has been torpedoing his draft chances.

godins
02-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Couldn't stomach the way Roy has been torpedoing his draft chances.

Or he couldn't stomach the restaurant Sean May chose for their pre-game meal.

JasonEvans
02-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Wake Forrest's AD Ron Wellman should be fired... not for hiring Danny Manning, but for signing him to a 6 year extension at the start of the 2017 season. with the extension tacked on to his original deal. Manning is under contract until 2025. The monster extension was signed at Danny had been at Wake for 3 years. During those 3 seasons his team finished 12th, 13th, and 10th in the ACC. They made the NCAA once, making the First Four but losing before actually playing in the main field.

I am sure Manning is a nice guy, but he is clearly way over his head at Wake. His original contract would be coming due about now and it would be an ideal time to let him go and try someone new. Instead, tanks to Wellman's ridiculous extension, Wake is likely stuck with Manning for a couple more years. Unfathomably stupid and Ron Wellman should pay the price.

-Jason "the nice thing for the rest of the league is all the decent teams can pencil in 2 easy wins a season... thanks, Danny" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Wake Forrest's AD Ron Wellman should be fired... not for hiring Danny Manning, but for signing him to a 6 year extension at the start of the 2017 season. with the extension tacked on to his original deal.

If Wellman had a shred of decency, he'd resign and refuse any golden parachute. His stupidity is a devastating blow to a low revenue athletic department.

SavDukeGrad
02-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Wake Forrest's AD Ron Wellman should be fired... not for hiring Danny Manning, but for signing him to a 6 year extension at the start of the 2017 season. with the extension tacked on to his original deal. Manning is under contract until 2025. The monster extension was signed at Danny had been at Wake for 3 years. During those 3 seasons his team finished 12th, 13th, and 10th in the ACC. They made the NCAA once, making the First Four but losing before actually playing in the main field.

I am sure Manning is a nice guy, but he is clearly way over his head at Wake. His original contract would be coming due about now and it would be an ideal time to let him go and try someone new. Instead, tanks to Wellman's ridiculous extension, Wake is likely stuck with Manning for a couple more years. Unfathomably stupid and Ron Wellman should pay the price.

-Jason "the nice thing for the rest of the league is all the decent teams can pencil in 2 easy wins a season... thanks, Danny" Evans

Completely agree with this Jason. Wellman has been AD for 26 years at Wake. He has made some good hires, especially in football, but has enraged the fan base with his handling of basketball. Especially when he hired his old friend, Jeff Bzdelik (they were coaches together at Northwestern decades ago) in 2010, after firing Dino Gaudio.

Wellman is past 70. I think most alums just hope he will retire at this point. Sooner rather than later.

duke2x
02-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Wellman is pretty clearly a football guy at a basketball school. He hired Caldwell (semi-worked in NFL), Grobe, and Clawson.

I was surprised that he's been there since 1992. Since he is 70/71 right now, he's not going to be fired or exercise a golden parachute.

SavDukeGrad
02-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Wellman is pretty clearly a football guy at a basketball school. He hired Caldwell (semi-worked in NFL), Grobe, and Clawson.

I was surprised that he's been there since 1992. Since he is 70/71 right now, he's not going to be fired or exercise a golden parachute.

Wellman’s coaching career was mostly in baseball. He was the head baseball coach at Northwestern in the 80s when Jeff Bzdelik was an assistant basketball coach there, which is when their friendship began.