PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Louisville (Tue, Feb 12, 9pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DukieInBrasil
02-10-2019, 11:20 PM
I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
(apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 12:00 AM
I got tired of you lazy ingrates not starting a Pre- and In-game discussion thread for our next opponent, Louisville, so i went ahead and did it. ;-)
Currently (Sun. night) Louisville is ranked #16, at 17-7 (8-3) and in 4th place in the ACC. Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC. A win here really helps Duke tighten its grip on 1st, as we'll have 2 games remaining with our co-leader (did a li'l mouth vomit there) UNCheaters. Hopefully the Hoos can knock the Holes down a peg on Monday night.
(apparently i don't know how to use winky face emoticons...)

Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71

robed deity
02-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Louisville is also a quality opponent. The currently rank 13th on Kenpom. After the top 3 Kenpom, there is a significant drop off, however.

Louisville currently ranks 15 in AdjO and 28 in AdjD.

We can't expect a cakewalk, but even in Louisville's house I expect a win. I'll say Duke by 14.

Louisville averages 72 possessions per game, while Duke averages 76. If I split the difference ad say it comes in at about 74 possessions, I'll put the final score at:

Duke 85-71

Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Wow. I have a lot of faith in this Duke team but I'm not sure I see a 14 point win here, especially coming off such a big game.

Momentum is a powerful thing!

uh_no
02-11-2019, 01:17 AM

once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway....

Devilwin
02-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Closer than 14, I think more like 4. But we win regardless.;)

OldPhiKap
02-11-2019, 07:06 AM

once you integrate with respect to velocity and take the time derivative anyway...

Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.

Troublemaker
02-11-2019, 07:15 AM

This might be a bad omen for tomorrow night. If the fans can't stop celebrating the win at UVA (and a great win it was) to focus on Louisville, imagine if one actually participated in the win like our players did. Hopefully our guys show unusual maturity because Louisville is good enough to beat us at home even if we are focused. I'm nervous about this one because every time this season that I've run through Duke's ACC schedule, I always end up putting an 'L" beside this game. I was usually greedy and gave us a win @UVA, but I could never follow it up with a win @Lville, too. It just *feels* on a gut instinct level like we should split this pair of road games. Hopefully my gut is wrong.

DevilHorse
02-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Zion creates a negative coefficient of friction. It warps physics.

I would suggest:

Negative coefficient of friction violates basic Work principles (violates laws of physics that you get more energy out than you started with).

Look to your earlier equation for the error. You do not just integrate over momentum wrt velocity, but as a partial differential equation, you overlook that with Zion you must also integrate over Mass (large movement of mass, balls leaving the floor at an unexpected rate). Then truly you will have calculated the general relativistic effects that you seek. Speed kills.

Larry
DevilHorse
Ponying up Physics

Bluegrassdevil1
02-11-2019, 07:31 AM
UofL struggles against ball pressure, and for some reason, cannot adjust to hedging if their lives depended on it.

Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.

Enoch is their key player (not the team's best, but the key), so if Duke can get him to switch onto Williamson or Barrett, he should get deep into foul trouble. McMahon is killer from three and the charity stripe (thankfully, those are his only strengths).

But for me, Duke Must. Win. This. Flipping. Game.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2019, 07:45 AM
I would suggest:

Negative coefficient of friction violates basic Work principles (violates laws of physics that you get more energy out than you started with).

Look to your earlier equation for the error. You do not just integrate over momentum wrt velocity, but as a partial differential equation, you overlook that with Zion you must also integrate over Mass (large movement of mass, balls leaving the floor at an unexpected rate). Then truly you will have calculated the general relativistic effects that you seek. Speed kills.

Larry
DevilHorse
Ponying up Physics

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on DevilHorse again.”

But yes, the Laws of Physics cease to exist in Zion’s sneakers. I’ll be on the Quad later today with a “prove me wrong” table.

camion
02-11-2019, 07:51 AM
I would suggest:

Larry
DevilHorse
Ponying up Physics

Physicsally speaking this is somewhat derivative, but I would think that Zion exhibits more snap, crackle and pop than most. :D

Let’s see is this it?
0 position
1 velocity
2 acceleration
3 jerk
4 snap
5 crackle
6 pop

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
Physicsally speaking this is somewhat derivative, but I would think that Zion exhibits more snap, crackle and pop than most. :D

Let’s see is this it?
0 position
1 velocity
2 acceleration
3 jerk
4 snap
5 crackle
6 pop

I am heartily opposed to any posts associating Zion with the last 3 of those words.

MChambers
02-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Hate to discuss basketball in this thread, but Louisville's new coach, Chris Mack, uses the pack line defense, much like Tony Bennett. Louisville apparently does it a little differently, not doubling the post. Here's an article on the L'ville defense: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/12/19/how-louisville-has-defended-some-college-basketballs-biggest-stars/2334054002/

Also, who knew that Dino Gaudio is an assistant coach for the Cardinals? (Okay, I probably read this when he was hired and promptly forgot it.) https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/Chris-Mack-Dino-Gaudio-excited-to-start-new-era-of-Louisville-Cardinals-basketball--120967781/

Native
02-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Louisville apparently does [the pack-line defense] a little differently, not doubling the post.

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

Marques Bolden, come on dooooooown!

DevilHorse
02-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Let’s see is this it?
0 position
1 velocity
2 acceleration
3 jerk
4 snap
5 crackle
6 pop

Even in the macroscopic world, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle tells us that you have to be somewhere.
So '0 position' is just not in the cards. But perhaps versus the cards tomorrow.
delta X times delta Momentum is greater than or equal to the planck constant (over 2 pi).
So even with infinite momentum, Zion has to have (a) position; at least to start.

Of course, if he blocks another shot against a player and lands in the first row, he wouldn't be on the court anymore, but time would be out without the ball.
That would be a discontinuity.
We don't deal in non-Euclidean basketball in this thread.

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

I'll return your television to you now.

Larry
Devilhorse

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Even in the macroscopic world, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle tells us that you have to be somewhere.

...and in the micro world, once something gets to a certain smallness, it cannot be divided....and to try to do so means the particle loses locality....and is nowhere, but also everywhere, at once. Quantum Physics is a WEIRD WEIRD field....or should I say, our universe is a weird place, and science is just now catching up to some of it.

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 09:19 AM
So '0 position' is just not in the cards. But perhaps versus the cards tomorrow.
delta X times delta Momentum is greater than or equal to the planck constant (over 2 pi).
So even with infinite momentum, Zion has to have (a) position; at least to start.

Of course, if he blocks another shot against a player and lands in the first row, he wouldn't be on the court anymore, but time would be out without the ball.

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).unction (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

Larry
Devilhorse

Since observing an event can affect the outcome, with all eyes on Zion with expectation of suspension of the laws of physics, plays like the threejection become not only more possible, but arguably more probable.

Indoor66
02-11-2019, 09:26 AM

From a quantum mechanical perspective, Zion's wave-function (probability of where he will be during a basketball game) is all over, above and beyond the borders of the court (and the front row).

Larry
Devilhorse

Thank you ROD.

DevilHorse
02-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Since observing an event can affect the outcome, with all eyes on Zion with expectation of suspension of the laws of physics, plays like the threejection become not only more possible, but arguably more probable.

Of course, basketball and Zion are macroscopic.
But there are Macroscopic Quantum states.
They are Superfluidity and Superconductivity (anyone get an MRI lately?) [Some of the preliminary work on MRIs (then called NMR Imaging was done at Duke Med in the '70s, but I digress)].
The Macroscopic Quantum States were first conceived by Fritz London OF DUKE.
Annually there is a Fritz London Lecture that is put on by the Physics Department, where they bring in noted physicists from around the world to give a lecture in Fritz London's name. His widow used to attend before she passed on. But I digress again.

Now, I presume, we might add a Zion as the third Macroscopic Quantum state, as he is superfluid, super@conducting his craft, and quite observable! :p

Larry
DevilHorse

devildeac
02-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Hate to discuss basketball in this thread, but Louisville's new coach, Chris Mack, uses the pack line defense, much like Tony Bennett. Louisville apparently does it a little differently, not doubling the post. Here's an article on the L'ville defense: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/12/19/how-louisville-has-defended-some-college-basketballs-biggest-stars/2334054002/

Also, who knew that Dino Gaudio is an assistant coach for the Cardinals? (Okay, I probably read this when he was hired and promptly forgot it.) https://247sports.com/college/louisville/Article/Chris-Mack-Dino-Gaudio-excited-to-start-new-era-of-Louisville-Cardinals-basketball--120967781/

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

Marques Bolden, come on dooooooown!

I'd also like to see them not double Zion when we post him up. :D

Does loovill still play the wack and hack type defense that FerryFor50 and I so much "loved" several years ago? :mad:

tteettimes
02-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Simply put

The faster you go......the momentum you have 😎😎

UrinalCake
02-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Love that term for describing a blocked three. Hope it catches on!

CDu
02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Well, you may have thought we were done with the pack line defense for a while. If so, you would be wrong. Louisville's new coach, Chris Mack, has brought the pack line to Louisville. So we get to see it twice in 3 days. Yay! The Cardinals are sort of like a poor man's UVa in general. They play a slow tempo. They don't force turnovers. They don't block shots. They do well on the defensive glass. And they heavily contest 2pt shots. They don't do it as well as UVa, but they are still pretty good. It could be a frustrating game.

On offense, they are also somewhat of a poor man's UVa. They shoot the 3 well. They don't get offensive rebounds. Overall it is a well-coach, pretty efficient team on both ends. That's not to say that they don't have clunkers now and then. Back to back stinkjobs versus RoMo and UK and ugly losses to Pitt and UNC illustrate that point. But it's a team capable of winning ugly as their wins over UNC and Michigan State suggest.

Centers: Malik Williams (6'11", 215lb sophomore) is the starter, though he doesn't typically log heavy minutes. Williams is a very long and athletic big who blocks a lot of shots and rebounds really well. He's a good finisher near the rim and has decent shooting touch as well, quite capable of hitting an open 3. He's not the strongest guy around, but he plays hard nonetheless. Foul trouble can be a problem for him given his aggressiveness, and as such he has topped 25 minutes just once this season. Behind Williams is Steven Enoch (6'10", 250lb junior transfer from UConn). Enoch is a big, strong kid with good athleticism and physicality. He isn't nearly the shotblocker that Williams is, but he's a rugged rebounder and defender with a soft shooting touch as well. Enoch takes a lot of midrange jumpers, and hits them at a decent percentage (47%). He's also terrific at the FT line, though he doesn't get there much. Together, Williams and Enoch form a nice 1-2 punch at center, averaging 17.1 points, 10.3 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks in 36.7 mpg. The emergency big is Akoy Agau (6'8", 235lb sixth-year senior from South Sudan via Louisville, Georgetown, and SMU). Agau proves you can indeed come home again. But he plays sparingly. It's a nice story as he has come back from numerous injuries/illnesses in his college odyssey. But he'll only see the floor if foul trouble forces it.

Forwards: Jordan Nwora (6'8", 220lb sophomore) is the star of the Cards. Nwora didn't play a ton as a freshman, but he's really blossomed this year. He is a terrific scorer at all 3 levels. Not overly athletic, but incredibly skilled. He's capable of monster scoring nights but can also really go in the tank. Hopefully he isn't feeling it tomorrow night. Nwora is a solid positional defender but not overly versatile or athletic. He is a terrific defensive rebounder. Dwayne Sutton (6'5", 200lb fourth-year junior via UNC Ashville) is the other forward. Sutton is a high-motor, do-all-the-little-things player for the Cards. Sort of like a Justise Winslow type of player. At just 6'5", he can defend multiple positions with his strength, athleticism, and effort. He shoots well from 3, and rebounds very well for his size. He's a tough, tough kid who doesn't back down from any challenge. I would get he'll get first crack at Zion. It is a very strong duo that starts at forward for the Cards. They will play as long as their legs hold up. When needed, VJ King (6'6", 190lb junior) comes in. It has been an odd season for King, who was a starter last year and began the season as a main rotation player this year before slowly getting phased out. King is a terrific shooter and long and athletic player, so it's weird that he's steadily declined in production during his career at Louisville. He has talent, but for whatever reason that hasn't translated at all this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him appear in this one, and he's dangerous if left open. But I really don't know what is going on there.

Wings: If there is a liability on this Cardinals team, it's that they are very undersized on the wing. Mind you, that's a nitpicky comment when talking about a top-20 club. But if you didn't already notice the lack of size at the forward spot, you'll surely notice it here. The Cardinals start Khwan Fore (6'0", 175lb grad transfer from Richmond). Fore is a fire hydrant with terrific athleticism and energy. He's not a good shooter, but he's aggressive and fearless at attacking the basket. His size and relatively low skill level means he doesn't play a ton of minutes, but he is all-out when he's in there. Behind Fore is Ryan McMahon (6'0", 170lb junior). McMahon is on the floor to do one thing and one thing only: shoot. He shoots 94% from the FT line and 38% from 3. He cannot be left open. He doesn't bring really anything else to the floor, and only plays about half the game. But when he's in, he better be covered. One of the most dangerous catch-and-shoot guys in the conference.

Guards: Christen Cunningham (6'2", 190lb grad transfer from Samford) is the guy running the show for Louisville. Cunningham is a smart, steady, pass-first PG who plays tough perimeter defense. He is also a good shooter, especially from the FT line. He was a terrific addition and ably steps in for the void Quentin Snider left last year. Cunningham is also good at attacking the rim and scoring inside with great efficiency as well. He's a very solid playmaker who is an extension of the coach on the floor. Behind Cunningham is Darius Perry (6'2", 170lb sophomore). Perry is really more of a combo guard, but he's the only real option for backup PG. He is a blur on the court, able to finish in traffic or hit the occasional 3. But he's not a natural PG. As such, Cunningham will play as much as he can, much like the forwards.

The two big concerns Louisville has are a lack of depth and a lack of size. They aren't short on shooting, as nearly everyone who plays can shoot the 3. And they aren't lacking in athleticism for the most part either. They can turn the ball over, which will play to our strengths. But there is a good chance that they clog the lanes and dare us to shoot as well as we did against UVa to beat them. I think we win, but it could be a very ugly looking game whether we win or lose.

DevilHorse
02-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Thank you ROD.

That was the Twilight Zone. This is... The Outer Limits.. <squelch>

robed deity
02-11-2019, 11:02 AM
I'm guessing we won't shoot as well, so I think the defense will have to come up big. And I think it will, hopefully in the form of forced turnovers and run-outs.

moonpie23
02-11-2019, 11:11 AM
these guys rolled into chapel hill and hosed the heels......they're formidable ......

if the team is still reading the press from saturday, they'll get handled....

coaching staff will be working on this...

HereBeforeCoachK
02-11-2019, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing we won't shoot as well, so I think the defense will have to come up big. And I think it will, hopefully in the form of forced turnovers and run-outs.

Agree with all of that.

As for the shooting, it's interesting. Scheyer said that the guys are not bad three point shooters.....that they are better than the 30% they've shown in 22 games. This was my assessment too.....that this team could be a decent, though not great, 3 point shooting team....(instead of bad). The fact that K has allowed them to shoot a high volume in most games would seem to indicate this too.

For the last 4 games, the team has shot 41.1%. That includes 2 really good games and 2 not so good games. By half, it includes 5 good or really good halves and 3 pretty bad halves (from memory). This includes no production from White, who I would think is due to come out of this slump at some point. So is this who we are now? I would like to think so, but 4 games is small sample still.

Then there's the first two games, when we didn't know what to expect, and Duke shot 43%+ over those two games with very high volume of shots. I don't think anyone was talking about how Duke was shooting way over expectations at that point. K must have thought the team was capable of 40% when the season started.

So all of this to say there are contradictory signals. Normally, I would say that 22-23 games pretty well defines who you are.....which would mean a 30-32% team. But I've never been resigned to that.

Ironically, it was RJ who I didn't think would improve much....his form and ball rotation (none at times....) is kind of like the Thomas Hill knuckleballs to me. Obviously RJ was terrific versus Virginia.....I would love to think he's picking it up. Cam is picking it up. Zion is getting better. I think Jack will be back....and I think there's got to be a little bit of the inner Tyus as a shooter in Tre. He hit a big 3 versus UVA and the form was solid. So I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be something like a high 30s percentage team going forward.....cautious the key word.

jv001
02-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Agree with all of that.

As for the shooting, it's interesting. Scheyer said that the guys are not bad three point shooters....that they are better than the 30% they've shown in 22 games. This was my assessment too....that this team could be a decent, though not great, 3 point shooting team...(instead of bad). The fact that K has allowed them to shoot a high volume in most games would seem to indicate this too.

For the last 4 games, the team has shot 41.1%. That includes 2 really good games and 2 not so good games. By half, it includes 5 good or really good halves and 3 pretty bad halves (from memory). This includes no production from White, who I would think is due to come out of this slump at some point. So is this who we are now? I would like to think so, but 4 games is small sample still.

Then there's the first two games, when we didn't know what to expect, and Duke shot 43%+ over those two games with very high volume of shots. I don't think anyone was talking about how Duke was shooting way over expectations at that point. K must have thought the team was capable of 40% when the season started.

So all of this to say there are contradictory signals. Normally, I would say that 22-23 games pretty well defines who you are....which would mean a 30-32% team. But I've never been resigned to that.

Ironically, it was RJ who I didn't think would improve much...his form and ball rotation (none at times...) is kind of like the Thomas Hill knuckleballs to me. Obviously RJ was terrific versus Virginia....I would love to think he's picking it up. Cam is picking it up. Zion is getting better. I think Jack will be back...and I think there's got to be a little bit of the inner Tyus as a shooter in Tre. He hit a big 3 versus UVA and the form was solid. So I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be something like a high 30s percentage team going forward....cautious the key word.

And it helps that we're not reliant on making 3s. Zion and RJ can get to the hoop and Cam is getting better at it as well. Then we have Marques who has improved a lot since the beginning of the season. Like you, I'm hoping Jack get's his confidence back with his three point shooting. GoDuke!

curtis325
02-11-2019, 12:20 PM
This might be a bad omen for tomorrow night. If the fans can't stop celebrating the win at UVA (and a great win it was) to focus on Louisville, imagine if one actually participated in the win like our players did. Hopefully our guys show unusual maturity because Louisville is good enough to beat us at home even if we are focused. I'm nervous about this one because every time this season that I've run through Duke's ACC schedule, I always end up putting an 'L" beside this game. I was usually greedy and gave us a win @UVA, but I could never follow it up with a win @Lville, too. It just *feels* on a gut instinct level like we should split this pair of road games. Hopefully my gut is wrong.

Moving from physics to biology. Maybe your gut needs more fiber (perhaps some reddishes).

NYBri
02-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Key for this game. :cool:

Kedsy
02-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.

This isn't true. 2012 Kentucky played Louisville at Rupp; 2017 UNC played Louisville at the Dean Dome; 2016 Villanova and 2018 Villanova didn't play Louisville at all (and while I'm pretty sure 2010 doesn't count, 2010 Duke didn't play Louisville either). So since the Yum Center opened, only four of the eight champions played at least one game there (50%).

Indoor66
02-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Simply put

The faster you go...the momentum you have 😎😎

Gee, the hurrier I go the behinder I get.

CDu
02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
This isn't true. 2012 Kentucky played Louisville at Rupp; 2017 UNC played Louisville at the Dean Dome; 2016 Villanova and 2018 Villanova didn't play Louisville at all (and while I'm pretty sure 2010 doesn't count, 2010 Duke didn't play Louisville either). So since the Yum Center opened, only four of the eight champions played at least one game there (50%).

You are omitting NCAA tourney games. The 2016 Nova squad went through Louisville, for example. Don't know about others.

ETA: doesn't look like the 2012 UK or 2017 UNC team went through Louisville in the tournament, along with (as noted originally) the 2018 Nova team.

EETA: whoops, looks like 2012 Kentucky played UALR at the Yum as a "neutral site" game. So, we're down to just 2017 UNC.

Kedsy
02-11-2019, 12:51 PM
You are omitting NCAA tourney games. The 2016 Nova squad went through Louisville, for example. Don't know about others.

ETA: doesn't look like the 2012 UK or 2017 UNC team went through Louisville in the tournament, along with (as noted originally) the 2018 Nova team.

EETA: whoops, looks like 2012 Kentucky played UALR at the Yum as a "neutral site" game. So, we're down to just 2017 UNC.

OK, I apologize to Bluegrassdevil1. CDu is right that I only considered games in which Louisville participated.

DavidBenAkiva
02-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Agree with all of that.

As for the shooting, it's interesting. Scheyer said that the guys are not bad three point shooters....that they are better than the 30% they've shown in 22 games. This was my assessment too....that this team could be a decent, though not great, 3 point shooting team...(instead of bad). The fact that K has allowed them to shoot a high volume in most games would seem to indicate this too.

So all of this to say there are contradictory signals. Normally, I would say that 22-23 games pretty well defines who you are....which would mean a 30-32% team. But I've never been resigned to that.

Ironically, it was RJ who I didn't think would improve much...his form and ball rotation (none at times...) is kind of like the Thomas Hill knuckleballs to me. Obviously RJ was terrific versus Virginia....I would love to think he's picking it up. Cam is picking it up. Zion is getting better. I think Jack will be back...and I think there's got to be a little bit of the inner Tyus as a shooter in Tre. He hit a big 3 versus UVA and the form was solid. So I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be something like a high 30s percentage team going forward....cautious the key word.

It is so odd having the #1 team in the nation in 3-point percentage in away games. Like, what is going on?

Part of the explanation might be the coaching. Specifically, R.J. Barrett is stepping into his shot or taking set shots a lot more. I noticed in the UVA game that he would often pass to Tre, take a couple steps back and to the side for an open look, and then step into the three as Tre passed the ball back. Look at R.J. in this highlight package. He's not taking shots off the dribble anymore. Reddish is doing this, too, and it is starting to go in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyp4X1MI-w

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Ironically, it was RJ who I didn't think would improve much...his form and ball rotation (none at times...) is kind of like the Thomas Hill knuckleballs to me. Obviously RJ was terrific versus Virginia...I would love to think he's picking it up. Cam is picking it up. Zion is getting better. I think Jack will be back...and I think there's got to be a little bit of the inner Tyus as a shooter in Tre. He hit a big 3 versus UVA and the form was solid. So I am cautiously optimistic that this team can be something like a high 30s percentage team going forward...cautious the key word.

since starting the season 1-11 from 3, Zion is shooting 12-32 (37.5%) from 3, and is at 30% on the season.
30% for the season is ok, maybe good. But if he's a 37.5% shooter from 3 for the rest of the season, then that will bode very well for his and the team's success.

camion
02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
This is a trap game. But then any of the coming 5 games where the opponents don't have a light blue tint could be considered a trap game.

A major challenge during this stretch is maintaining/regaining emotional intensity.

DavidBenAkiva
02-11-2019, 01:59 PM
This is a trap game. But then any of the coming 5 games where the opponents don't have a light blue tint could be considered a trap game.

A major challenge during this stretch is maintaining/regaining emotional intensity.

The NC State game is a trap game. Duke won't be looking ahead to Saturday.

uh_no
02-11-2019, 02:03 PM
It is so odd having the #1 team in the nation in 3-point percentage in away games. Like, what is going on?

maybe we should wear black at home

COYS
02-11-2019, 02:22 PM
I'm really glad that the team gets two full days off before heading to Louisville. This is definitely a big game for the guys if they want to maintain control of their ACCT and NCAAT seeding destinies.

The thing I'm most curious to see is if K and the staff are able to add a new wrinkle or two to get Zion into the lane. Louisville can't defend like UVA, but, as mentioned above, they employ a variation on the pack-line defense and do a good job keeping opposing players out of the paint. Not that Zion has been in anything resembling a slump, BUT his raw scoring numbers have been very good rather than super-human the past two games. If the team has anything resembling tired legs or an emotional hangover after the game up in Charlottesville, finding ways to get Zion a few easy buckets will go a long way toward preventing our half-court offense from looking stagnant and slow against a very good Louisville defense.

DavidBenAkiva
02-11-2019, 02:31 PM
I'm really glad that the team gets two full days off before heading to Louisville. This is definitely a big game for the guys if they want to maintain control of their ACCT and NCAAT seeding destinies.

The thing I'm most curious to see is if K and the staff are able to add a new wrinkle or two to get Zion into the lane. Louisville can't defend like UVA, but, as mentioned above, they employ a variation on the pack-line defense and do a good job keeping opposing players out of the paint. Not that Zion has been in anything resembling a slump, BUT his raw scoring numbers have been very good rather than super-human the past two games. If the team has anything resembling tired legs or an emotional hangover after the game up in Charlottesville, finding ways to get Zion a few easy buckets will go a long way toward preventing our half-court offense from looking stagnant and slow against a very good Louisville defense.

My theory on this is that Cam Reddish has been taking on more of the scoring load. So I am fine with Zion going from 25+ points to 18-20 points a game if it means more balanced scoring. And that means defenders are going to close out on Reddish and Barrett, which opens up driving lanes and dish-offs. We saw a little of that in the UVA game. If Duke starts hitting 35%+ from beyond 3, it is like opening up a cheat code in NBA Jam for the offense. It was already very good. This Duke team with a couple of reliable shooters is going to be absurdly good.

My favorite line about this was John Gasaway, a writer for ESPN. He wrote something over the weekend, like 'if Duke can hit 3's, that would be the basketball equivalent of the scene from Jurassic Park when the Velocirators figured out how to open doors.'

Acymetric
02-11-2019, 02:53 PM
My theory on this is that Cam Reddish has been taking on more of the scoring load. So I am fine with Zion going from 25+ points to 18-20 points a game if it means more balanced scoring. And that means defenders are going to close out on Reddish and Barrett, which opens up driving lanes and dish-offs. We saw a little of that in the UVA game. If Duke starts hitting 35%+ from beyond 3, it is like opening up a cheat code in NBA Jam for the offense. It was already very good. This Duke team with a couple of reliable shooters is going to be absurdly good.

My favorite line about this was John Gasaway, a writer for ESPN. He wrote something over the weekend, like 'if Duke can hit 3's, that would be the basketball equivalent of the scene from Jurassic Park when the Velocirators figured out how to open doors.'

That is a fantastic comparison, thank you for sharing it.

tbyers11
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Part of the explanation might be the coaching. Specifically, R.J. Barrett is stepping into his shot or taking set shots a lot more. I noticed in the UVA game that he would often pass to Tre, take a couple steps back and to the side for an open look, and then step into the three as Tre passed the ball back. Look at R.J. in this highlight package. He's not taking shots off the dribble anymore. Reddish is doing this, too, and it is starting to go in.

Yes, I have been saying to my friend that RJ should not be allowed to shoot 3s off the dribble for several games now. All 6 of Barrett's 3 pt makes were basically set shots. 4 of the 6 were basically catch and shoots and the other 2 he caught the ball, paused to center it and then shot. And of his 4 misses, I only recall the last one being off the dribble from the top of the key as the shot clock was running down. I'd love to see a Synergy break down of off the catch vs off the dribble 3s for RJ and Cam.

If we focus on trying to take only "good" 3 point shots (compare 1st half BC vs 2nd half BC as well) our % will go up. I doubt we shoot 62% again, but I'd guess the 3FG% will be closer to 40 than 30.

DU82
02-11-2019, 03:22 PM

The 2013 NCAA champion did not play any games in the Yum! Center. Because officially, there was no champion.

(We should be saying the same thing about '03, '05, '09, '17. And, it appears, '14.)

Saratoga2
02-11-2019, 09:18 PM
UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2019, 10:14 PM
UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.

#2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!

uh_no
02-11-2019, 10:17 PM
#2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!

we haven't played Carolina yet.... were not really in control until they pick up another loss or we beat them next week

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 10:41 PM

You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.

ChillinDuke
02-11-2019, 11:02 PM
<full preview>

Thanks, CDu, for posting these all season. I haven't been able to keep up with the other ACC teams this year so I appreciate getting caught up with these posts and being informed come gametime.

Oddly enough, I'm not scared of this matchup. The size mismatch is striking and we are so long and tall that I think we will see a major advantage there.

It's not that I don't believe Loovul is talented. They are, I'm sure. But if we're as good as we appear to think we are, and as emotionally mature as we seem, and as assassin thinking as RJ leads me to believe, I think we will come out gunning.

This doesn't strike me as a team that suffers as much from playing "flat" as some of our past teams.

But you gotta play the (ACC road) game.

- Chillin

brlftz
02-11-2019, 11:28 PM
You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.

Too soon

BandAlum83
02-11-2019, 11:31 PM
Too soon

It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.

slower
02-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC.

Really? Check the standings again.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 07:28 AM
It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.

"Too soon" to bring up the memory of Pervis catching an air ball and scoring the deciding basket...against the 37-2 Blue Devils, one of the all time great teams.

NYBri
02-12-2019, 07:44 AM
"Too soon" to bring up the memory of Pervis catching an air ball and scoring the deciding basket...against the 37-2 Blue Devils, one of the all time great teams.

Great. Here comes a Never Nervous nightmare. 😎

OldPhiKap
02-12-2019, 07:50 AM

I was on the Quad that night. One of the saddest experiences of my life.

Screw Denny Crum and Never Nervous Pervis.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Most devastating loss I think in my Duke fandom history....well, then 94.....same kind of thing - Duke gets penalized so to speak by playing outstanding D on the key possession of the game.

I remember the incredible semi final game against Kansas, which matched the two best teams in the nation. I think the Devils had a Kansas hang over - while Louisville got to cruise over an 11th seed in the other semi. Alarie and Henderson were just gassed....no legs on their shots late. Sad game.

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Based on the size advantage, i run the offense through Cam and Barrett. They will have a significant size advantage over the wingers. Let them post up the wingers at the elbow or so. Have them start the offense from there.
Have the center and Zion run back door movements along the baseline to see what is open for lobs. If cam and RJ are successful early, quick doubles should occur to get the ball out of their hands. Lobs or bounce passes to people running the baseline will be open.

On D, i do a 3/4 court S. The wings will have a hard time making passes over the top. Could really speed them up and hopefully rush shots. Rush shots usually lead to longer rebounds and long rebounds start our O.

CDu
02-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Based on the size advantage, i run the offense through Cam and Barrett. They will have a significant size advantage over the wingers. Let them post up the wingers at the elbow or so. Have them start the offense from there.
Have the center and Zion run back door movements along the baseline to see what is open for lobs. If cam and RJ are successful early, quick doubles should occur to get the ball out of their hands. Lobs or bounce passes to people running the baseline will be open.

On D, i do a 3/4 court S. The wings will have a hard time making passes over the top. Could really speed them up and hopefully rush shots. Rush shots usually lead to longer rebounds and long rebounds start our O.

I don't think we should vary our offensive strategy. Reddish and Barrett aren't post-up threats. Posting up is not an easy skill, and asking them to do something they aren't comfortable doing doesn't seem wise. Especially when we have a decided talent advantage. We should focus on doing what we do well, and see if we can force Louisville to adjust to us rather than the other way around.

On defense, I think we'll also do more of the same as usual. We will trap occasionally and Jones will apply light pressure all the way up the floor. But mainly, we'll harass the passing lanes and use our height/length advantage to make life difficult in the half-court.

The biggest advantage we have is that Louisville just has no idea how athletic we are. You can see it on tape, but you just don't know until you face it. Look at the first UVa game: UVa is as prepared and well-organized as any team in the country. But they were just not at all ready for Barrett and Zion attacking off the dribble. The second time around? They were ready for it, and basically eliminated that from the game (we won, obviously, thanks to unexpectedly phenomenal perimeter shooting). I think we let our athletes play their game, and see if Louisville can keep up.

ndkjr70
02-12-2019, 10:57 AM

My dad was on the quad that night, too. He tells me it's one of the worst memories of his life.

TruBlu
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I was in Dallas that night. One of the drunkest experiences of my life. So I’ve been told.

MrPoon
02-12-2019, 11:06 AM
I don't think we should vary our offensive strategy. Reddish and Barrett aren't post-up threats. Posting up is not an easy skill, and asking them to do something they aren't comfortable doing doesn't seem wise. Especially when we have a decided talent advantage. We should focus on doing what we do well, and see if we can force Louisville to adjust to us rather than the other way around.

On defense, I think we'll also do more of the same as usual. We will trap occasionally and Jones will apply light pressure all the way up the floor. But mainly, we'll harass the passing lanes and use our height/length advantage to make life difficult in the half-court.

The biggest advantage we have is that Louisville just has no idea how athletic we are. You can see it on tape, but you just don't know until you face it. Look at the first UVa game: UVa is as prepared and well-organized as any team in the country. But they were just not at all ready for Barrett and Zion attacking off the dribble. The second time around? They were ready for it, and basically eliminated that from the game (we won, obviously, thanks to unexpectedly phenomenal perimeter shooting). I think we let our athletes play their game, and see if Louisville can keep up.

Absolutly agree. Cam is starting to find his space on this team and picking his catch and shoot opportunities and drive opportunities nicely. Lets not change his approach one bit.

Barrett is interesting because while he isn’t a post player, his dribble drive is kind of the same. He uses size and strentgth against a player, gets them on his hip and takes them for a jog to the rim. Then, desperately they push him setting up an and one. The pack line is interesting because help is designed to stop that drive. UVa couldnt’ do it the first time. They were much better the second. Can Chris Mack set up his team to look like UVa’s second game without playing the first? Probably not.

I think Duke pulls away in this game assuming the get the balance right between drive and threes. If they play young and assume they’ve “fixed” the three problem the last few games, they’ll over shoot it. But if the balance is right, this is a 12ish game to me.

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Definitely too soon to provide specifics; now you've triggered me, HBK!!! I'm ruined for at least until the final buzzer tonight and our 14 pt win.

arnie
02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
My dad was on the quad that night, too. He tells me it's one of the worst memories of his life.

It was so bad, I think I'd rather hear Bilas announce a game than try to guard Purvis again.

Rich
02-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Oh, the party we would’ve had! I remember people walking around the Quad like zombies that night after the game. It was surreal.

ndkjr70
02-12-2019, 11:56 AM
I remembered (correctly, I guess) that Duke's had some difficulty in the Yum Center. The last two trips there were both losses, as #7 in 2017 and #20 in 2016. This will be a tough game, but I've got faith in the boys.

fathippo
02-12-2019, 12:23 PM
I was in Dallas that night. One of the drunkest experiences of my life. So I’ve been told.

Does any Duke fan not remember where they were that night? Same with the Laettner shot. No game will be more painful than that loss.

I recently heard John Kerr tell the story of when Coach K talked to his team before the 1986 soccer championship. The first thing he said was the loss was his fault. He felt, with all the inherent distractions of a championship/final four, he did not have the team completely focused on the game. His advice was for the team to block out everything else and completely focus on the game because this is your one shot.

Billy Dat
02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Stuff I am looking for in this game:

This is a trap game. But then any of the coming 5 games where the opponents don't have a light blue tint could be considered a trap game. A major challenge during this stretch is maintaining/regaining emotional intensity.

I have been a believer that this squad is so mentally tough that they are quasi-immune to the trap game phenomenon. That doesn't mean we'll start like we did against UVA, but we do seem less immune to bad starts on the road. So, I am looking to see if we've got the killer edge I expect.

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking? Marques Bolden, come on dooooooown!

I'd also like to see them not double Zion when we post him up. :D

With our size advantage, I am interested to see if we'll feature any Zion-at-the-5 death line-ups, and how successful they will be. This is less likely as Jack has fallen down the rotation, and AOC's rotation status is fragile, but it would be fun to see what Z could do as the featured man in a less crowded paint. I'd also like to see us own the glass tonight to our massive advantage..push that shot attempt advantage to our advantage.

It is so odd having the #1 team in the nation in 3-point percentage in away games. Like, what is going on? Part of the explanation might be the coaching. Specifically, R.J. Barrett is stepping into his shot or taking set shots a lot more. I noticed in the UVA game that he would often pass to Tre, take a couple steps back and to the side for an open look, and then step into the three as Tre passed the ball back. Look at R.J. in this highlight package. He's not taking shots off the dribble anymore. Reddish is doing this, too, and it is starting to go in.

since starting the season 1-11 from 3, Zion is shooting 12-32 (37.5%) from 3, and is at 30% on the season.
30% for the season is ok, maybe good. But if he's a 37.5% shooter from 3 for the rest of the season, then that will bode very well for his and the team's success.

First off, nice observations of the evolved 3-point strategy of RJ and Cam, I will look out for those. Second, to buffer the last point, maybe if Zion is going to nail 3s above 35%, then a death line-up is less of a need. Overall, like everyone, I am hoping to see our team 3 point percentage continue to rise and to see if this odd "we shoot great away from home" phenomenon continues.

I agree with this, it's the equivalent of the old Mike Tyson saw of "Everyone has a plan until they get hit". As the game film on us builds up and we continue to face solid coaches, I am really interested to see how the "Duke rules" (the strategy for beating Duke) evolve.

Barrett is interesting because while he isn’t a post player, his dribble drive is kind of the same. He uses size and strentgth against a player, gets them on his hip and takes them for a jog to the rim. Then, desperately they push him setting up an and one. The pack line is interesting because help is designed to stop that drive. UVa couldnt’ do it the first time. They were much better the second. Can Chris Mack set up his team to look like UVa’s second game without playing the first? Probably not.

Good defenders ride RJ all the way to the rim and he often winds up chucking up awkward lay-ups without getting the whistle. I'd love to see him add a little plant and spin and the end of some of those drives...add some craft to his bull-rushes.

DavidBenAkiva
02-12-2019, 12:53 PM
For those wondering what the game will look like, Louisville is having a "Blackout" for the game tonight against Duke. I presume that means the players and fans will all wear black. That's a bit of an issue for Duke as the team has grown fond of wearing the black road jerseys in ACC competition.

@ Wake Forest:
https://secure.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2019/0108/r486382_1296x729_16-9.jpg

@ Florida State:
https://www.tampabay.com/storyimage/HI/20190112/ARTICLE/301129668/AR/0/AR-301129668.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

@ Pitt:
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3.kdkafm.radio.com/styles/nts_image_cover_tall_775x425/s3/AP19023093049104.jpg?itok=DVPtJB4f&c=61dda982b483390e85f74aa2d5068dd6

@ Notre Dame:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/pEc2xB68Tob-CmvqjKRBxMiTLjU=/0x0:3006x2004/1200x800/filters:focal(1465x465:1945x945)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/62954207/1090699262.jpg.0.jpg

@ Virginia:
I can only include 4 photos, but I believe we all remember the game from Saturday.

This makes me wonder what the team will wear tonight. Will they don their road blues for a black & blue matchup or go with the home whites?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
I never liked the black unis.....til I heard RJ's "funeral" reference. Then I liked them! Not gonna see um tonight...

CDu
02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
For those wondering what the game will look like, Louisville is having a "Blackout" for the game tonight against Duke. I presume that means the players and fans will all wear black. That's a bit of an issue for Duke as the team has grown fond of wearing the black road jerseys in ACC competition.

This makes me wonder what the team will wear tonight. Will they don their road blues for a black & blue matchup or go with the home whites?

I suspect that this was in response to Barrett's comments following the UVa game. If so, I am not sure that this was a wise strategy on the part of Louisville to poke the bear. If the Cards didn't have Duke's attention before, they do now.

DavidBenAkiva
02-12-2019, 01:18 PM
I suspect that this was in response to Barrett's comments following the UVa game. If so, I am not sure that this was a wise strategy on the part of Louisville to poke the bear. If the Cards didn't have Duke's attention before, they do now.

A quick internet search reveals that the host's athletic department announced this in late January, long before R.J.'s (in my opinion, very cool) proclamation. It appears U of L planned a "White Out" against UNC, a Blackout against Duke and a "Wear Red for Seniors" against Notre Dame in early March.

Personally, I am hoping to see Duke in their road blues. The road blues are quite bright with white striping and will really pop against the home team. At least it will look interesting, something we may not see again or for a very long time.

I am having trouble finding two teams that matched up "color vs. color" with black and blue being the primary colors. Here's the closest comparison I could find, of Marvin and Trevon from last year. If U of L goes with a very dark motif, the Duke blue will really pop. It could work!

https://cdn-s3.si.com/images/duke-basketball-uniforms.jpg

uh_no
02-12-2019, 01:27 PM
I never liked the black unis....til I heard RJ's "funeral" reference. Then I liked them! Not gonna see um tonight...

miracle minute was in black.

kmspeaks
02-12-2019, 01:42 PM
I never liked the black unis....til I heard RJ's "funeral" reference. Then I liked them! Not gonna see um tonight...

A quick internet search reveals that the host's athletic department announced this in late January, long before R.J.'s (in my opinion, very cool) proclamation. It appears U of L planned a "White Out" against UNC, a Blackout against Duke and a "Wear Red for Seniors" against Notre Dame in early March.

I get why some fans don't like the black uniforms but as a player I always loved wearing black. I don't know why, but it just makes you feel more like a "Nate James" (since I think the term I want to use would get me wankered).

This will never happen because basketball players kind of have to wear different color uniforms but for our senior night in college, I was a softball player, we did a black out. Since the home team usually wears white we informed our opponent of our plans ahead of time but they still showed up in their all black road uniforms. I can promise you've never seen a more pissed off group of 22 year old women. We scored 6 runs in our half of the first inning before they we able to record an out. Here's hoping Louisville is wearing black to their own funeral tonight!

DevilYouKnow
02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

I was on the quad that night as well. Context: I had been watching Duke since the mid 60s. I was used to Duke getting close, touching the brass ring, but no grab. It felt awful when we lost with what should have been a team of destiny. Then again, it felt very familiar.

Luckily, that familiar feeling has long dissipated.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 03:11 PM
I was on the quad that night as well. Context: I had been watching Duke since the mid 60s. I was used to Duke getting close, touching the brass ring, but no grab. It felt awful when we lost with what should have been a team of destiny. Then again, it felt very familiar.

Luckily, that familiar feeling has long dissipated.

It has, but of course, on that night in 86, nobody knew Duke was starting a march of 7 FFs in 9 years, including 5 in a row, with a couple of nattys. It felt like the climb had maybe ended....a great class that had been starters (mostly) for 4 years was now gone....having been the best team in the nation clearly, having beaten the second best team twice (Kansas)....having a 16 and a 21 game win streak IN THE SAME SEASON......still hurts.

gotoguy
02-12-2019, 03:33 PM

OPK, if you were on the quad that night as a student then you can't be Old.:)

kako
02-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Generally agree.

The only times I root for Louisville are if they play UNC or Kentucky. I'm old enough to remember UK beating Duke in '78, so the older childhood wound trumps the later college one in '86. But I can still see Henderson's and JD's short misses coming down the stretch when we were down by 1, then Ellison's putback off the airball. All on that ugly puke green court. Whenever I see 72-69 (or whenever I see Duke stall with the lead), my stomach churns just a bit.

9F

DukieInBrasil
02-12-2019, 05:09 PM
we haven't played Carolina yet... were not really in control until they pick up another loss or we beat them next week
Well, they've picked up their second loss, so we're in control. Split the series with Cheaters and we'll still be a game up on them, and we'll have the tie-break with UVA.

There are a couple of painful tournament losses in the history, but it's not like they hired hookers to recruit players who never had to attend class and had their assignments done by other students or faculty. For decades. :cool::eek:

Really? Check the standings again.
Check when i started this thread. It's even stated in the write-up.

uh_no
02-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Well, they've picked up their second loss, so we're in control. Split the series with Cheaters and we'll still be a game up on them, and we'll have the tie-break with UVA.

while we technically control our own destiny, It's not really anything to hang a hat on since we still have two games against a team a game back. As you say, split the series and we're up, but we still need to pick up that one win to get the split....that's all i'm saying.

Kedsy
02-12-2019, 05:21 PM
while we technically control our own destiny, It's not really anything to hang a hat on since we still have two games against a team a game back. As you say, split the series and we're up, but we still need to pick up that one win to get the split...that's all i'm saying.

I know it doesn't matter, but that's not technical at all. "Control own destiny" means if you win your games you gain the goal (regular season championship and #1 seed in the ACCT, in this case). Clearly, Duke controls its own destiny here. In fact, if we lose one to UNC, we will still control our own destiny, since if we win our games after that we will still gain the goal.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
I know it doesn't matter, but that's not technical at all. "Control own destiny" means if you win your games you gain the goal (regular season championship and #1 seed in the ACCT, in this case). Clearly, Duke controls its own destiny here. In fact, if we lose one to UNC, we will still control our own destiny, since if we win our games after that we will still gain the goal.

True dat......and if we lose tonight, we still control our own destiny, but it's a bit dicier control.......in fact, if we still control it after this six games from hell stretch ends, I'll be thrilled and proud of them.....

DukieInBrasil
02-12-2019, 05:26 PM
while we technically control our own destiny, It's not really anything to hang a hat on since we still have two games against a team a game back. As you say, split the series and we're up, but we still need to pick up that one win to get the split...that's all i'm saying.

yeah, technically what i wrote was true. And also absolutely. Control our own destiny means that if we win all of our games that we get the reg. season title. Hell, even if we lose a game to the team chasing us we still win it. I'm not sure why you're picking at this.

uh_no
02-12-2019, 05:27 PM

We controlled our own destiny when we were 0-0 as well, but i wouldn't colloquially say we were "in control" of the ACC regular season race at that point, and I wouldn't say so now either. The former criteria is well defined, the second is subjective.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2019, 05:33 PM
We controlled our own destiny when we were 0-0 as well, but i wouldn't colloquially say we were "in control" of the ACC regular season race at that point, and I wouldn't say so now either. The former criteria is well defined, the second is subjective.

Right, and I would not use the two interchangeably....they can mean the same thing in some cases, but that's not normally how they are used.

BandAlum83
02-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Isn't that the definition of controlling your own destiny? We don't have to rely on anyone else to lose in order to take the regular season title.

Fish80
02-12-2019, 07:14 PM
I apologize if this has already been discussed I have not read the entire thread yet

Should I wear black tonight? Team is not, does that also apply to me? Sure RJ shouldn’t have said it’s their funeral. But now I don’t know what to wear.

Devilwin
02-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Got my "Flyin' Zion" shirt on..lol

53n206
02-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Isn't it great that Vitale is doing the Kentucky game.

-jk
02-12-2019, 08:26 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Rickshaw
02-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Thought what greenburg said about rj’s comments being immature was in and of itself immature. ‘These aren’t kids’......what planet is he from.

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Thought what greenburg said about rj’s comments being immature was in and of itself immature. ‘These aren’t kids’...what planet is he from.

When does he ever say anything positive about Duke? Always something negative about them.

That's a dumb rule that they can't review offensive interference at the end of the game. Clearly was. And of course the baseball tonight announcer thought the ball wasn't in the cylinder lol

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 09:10 PM
When does he ever say anything positive about Duke? Always something negative about them.

That's a dumb rule that they can't review offensive interference at the end of the game. Clearly was. And of course the baseball tonight announcer thought the ball wasn't in the cylinder lol

Totally agree, obviously basket interference. Not unhappy to see UK go down, but....

jv001
02-12-2019, 09:11 PM

JEALOUSY from an ex-coach that could not get his team into the NCAAT. GoDuke!

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Not Bolden's shot!!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Ugly offensive start. Duke can't quite figure out where the offense is going to come from tonight.

rsvman
02-12-2019, 09:19 PM
This game is a crap fest so far. Yikes.
I've seen better games at the local y.

I hope we start playing basketball sometime soon.

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
That was Bolden's shot!

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Some boards would be nice. (6-12 now)

Selover
02-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Louisville fans around us cheering Zion limping. Keep it classy guys.

kmspeaks
02-12-2019, 09:31 PM
"Let em play" refereeing makes for ugly ugly basketball. Personally, I'd rather watch 50 trips to the free throw line for each team.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Louisville fans around us cheering Zion limping. Keep it classy guys.

Loovil fans classy? LOL. Buncha cretins.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:34 PM
"Let em play" refereeing makes for ugly ugly basketball. Personally, I'd rather watch 50 trips to the free throw line for each team.

10 minutes and finally a loovill foul. We're getting assaulted on our drives.

duketaylor
02-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Should be very tough game, lower scoring than most imo. We could be a little tired after UVA. We always take best shots.

rsvman
02-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Loovil fans classy? LOL. Buncha cretins.

Including the Iditarod holding an upside down "Zion can't dunk" sign. SMH.

arnie
02-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Should be very tough game, lower scoring than most imo. We could be a little tired after UVA. We always take best shots.

Fatigue is showing, but think Louisville may have expended too much energy, with little to show for it.

Expect 2nd half to look better for team in white.

kmspeaks
02-12-2019, 09:40 PM
10 minutes and finally a loovill foul. We're getting assaulted on our drives.

I think we've done our fair share of assaulting Cardinals as well. I know lots of people complain about too many fouls slowing down the game but if this is the result than tweet away sir stripes.

duke4ever19
02-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Not sure I'm seeing Tre Jones "napping on defense" as the commentator is indicating.

-jk
02-12-2019, 09:45 PM
I think we've done our fair share of assaulting Cardinals as well. I know lots of people complain about too many fouls slowing down the game but if this is the result than tweet away sir stripes.

If it’s a foul, call it!

-jk

Papa John
02-12-2019, 09:47 PM

True, relative to a normal game, they’re not calling much on us... but they’re almost literally not calling ANYTHING on Louisville... this game has been physically played thus far... ya gotta blow a few whistles, if for no other reason than to keep the athletes from killing one another...

arnie
02-12-2019, 09:48 PM
If it’s a foul, call it!

-jk

If Javin moves during a screen, it will be called.

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Louisville has 1 foul in 17 minutes?? That seems kinda crazy.

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Its like the 2013 game in the tournament. If the refs ain’t calling they will keep slapping.

devildeac
Mugged again going into lane=no call

rsvman

Not crazy. Impossible.

Especially if you are watching the game.

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 09:53 PM
The boys are asleep right now.

AGDukesky
02-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Had a bad feeling about this one. Officiating was awful last time we played here and absolutely determined why we lost.

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 09:54 PM
The old calling fouls at the end of the half to make it more even trick...

Duke's going to have to find a way to get some better shots in the second half. Too many bad 3's.

Papa John
If Javin moves during a screen, it will be called.

To be fair, that was a foul... Javin was moving... that said, it’s ridiculous that Louisville, in such a physical game thus far, has been whistled for a single foul in an entire half. That’s absolutely, unequivocally, empirically ridiculous...

And as I type this, foul number 2 is called... wonders shall never cease...

devildeac

Not crazy. It's either incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This is un @#$%ing believable.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:55 PM
And a blind fling/tip at the rim goes in. SMH.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:56 PM
The same team that rolled over and played dead with the cheats in their house recently. Why am I not surprised?

rsvman
And a blind fling/tip at the rim goes in. SMH.

That's the kind of stuff that nightmares are made of.
Not to mention that Jack took an elbow to the head really hard on that last play.

duketaylor
Time for adjustments!!

arnie
02-12-2019, 09:57 PM
The boys are asleep right now.

Reserves asleep for sure. Pretty obvious why AOC, Goldwire and Javin don’t play much. And Jack struggling. Guess will see starters play entire 2nd half.

fuse
No energy at all. Rough first half.
Going to have to adjust to the physical play in the second half.

WHOneedsSOX
As others have said, this is a tough game for Duke. They're really going to have to dig deep tonight. They look fatigued already which I can't blame them for.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 09:58 PM
That's the kind of stuff that nightmares are made of.
Not to mention that Jack took an elbow to the head really hard on that last play.

No problem. Not a foul on loovill.

DarkstarWahoo
Did we ruin y’all for your next game the way we ruined NC State?

Mak P
We got a lot of work to do. Cam started off great, but has completely disappeared

It feel like only Zion is moving and flowing. He's taking more 3's than I like, but everyone else is eh. It seem like they're forcing Zion to beat them himself

Tre Jones need to improve his shooting

cbarry
Wow. Horrible first half by our guys. Louisville couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the beginning, and we didn’t take advantage. Then we forgot how to play defense and forgot how to score.

I don’t have any explanation for our awful play. Maybe everyone has the flu? We were just dreadful in the first half. Hopefully we can keep this under 20.

CDu
02-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Wow. Horrible first half by our guys. Louisville couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in the beginning, and we didn’t take advantage. Then we forgot how to play defense and forgot how to score.

I don’t have any explanation for our awful play. Maybe everyone has the flu? We were just dreadful in the first half. Hopefully we can keep this under 20.

You would think you would learn after all the previous game threads in which you have done this...

SCMatt33
Not crazy. It's either incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This is un @#$%ing believable.

First, the refs have had a pretty loose whistle all around. Duke was definitely the more physical team so it’s not surprising to see that kind of foul disparity. Duke also helped them out by taking a bunch of lazy 3’s. You aren’t likely to repeat a 60 percent shooting night when Zion, Marques, Tre and Jordan account for the majority of your 3 point looks.

This was definitely a huge letdown half effort wise. The number of times not getting back on D was ridiculous. You know the effort isn’t great when Coach K is going to O’Connell and goldwire in a game where you’re down.

ncexnyc
Some really poor communication on the defensive end. Several times two defenders have gone after the man with the ball leaving a man wide open for an easy basket. The team really needs to get their act together.

kako
I think:

Need better rebounding, especially on the offensive end.

No more 3 attempts from anyone except Barrett and Reddish, no matter how open they think they are. Drive and get the board if there's a miss.

Defensively things are OK. But don't go for the spectacular play, just play solid.

Play though the fouls, don't expect them.

Trust in K to make adjustments at half.

9F

Billy Dat
02-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Well, we don’t look good....but we’ve looked bad in first halves before. Very disappointed in our defense which looks very sloppy. Not a good look so far, let’s hope someone gives us a spark. I usually look to Tre for that but he seems off his game.

CDu
02-12-2019, 10:01 PM
No problem. Not a foul on loovill.

In fairness, that really wasn’t a foul. Inadvertent as Enoch was coming down from a rebound attempt.

Wahoo2000
02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
First, the refs have had a pretty loose whistle all around. Duke was definitely the more physical team so it’s not surprising to see that kind of foul disparity. Duke also helped them out by taking a bunch of lazy 3’s. You aren’t likely to repeat a 60 percent shooting night when Zion, Marques, Tre and Jordan account for the majority of your 3 point looks.

This was definitely a huge letdown half effort wise. The number of times not getting back on D was ridiculous. You know the effort isn’t great when Coach K is going to O’Connell and goldwire in a game where you’re down.

They're only lazy when you're not making them. If Duke was 60% on 3s again, they'd be up probably 9-15 points.

rsvman
02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
I would hate to be in that locker room right now. I have a feeling that K wasn't too pleased with some of what he saw in that half.
Call it a hunch.

Mak P
02-12-2019, 10:03 PM
I want to see what else is on our bench. Coach K is just ignoring the other players

Dukehk
02-12-2019, 10:05 PM
Adjustments need to be made.

This was always going to be a tough game to win, coming off a highly charged win over virginia.

No surprise lville have come out playing like its the ncaa tournament final.

CDu
02-12-2019, 10:05 PM
They're only lazy when you're not making them. If Duke was 60% on 3s again, they'd be up probably 9-15 points.

True story. We are playing very similarly stylistically to Saturday. The difference is that we were making everything then. Well, this is the other side of the shoe.

Hopefully we break through in the second half.

fgb
02-12-2019, 10:06 PM

hitting 60% on threes in Charlottesville might have been the worst thing that could have happened to us

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 10:06 PM
I think:

Need better rebounding, especially on the offensive end.

No more 3 attempts from anyone except Barrett and Reddish, no matter how open they think they are. Drive and get the board if there's a miss.

Defensively things are OK. But don't go for the spectacular play, just play solid.

Play though the fouls, don't expect them.

Trust in K to make adjustments at half.

9F
Kako for asst coach, particularly about the threes. Not over yet.

jv001
02-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Louisville looks to be the quicker team and that surprises me. Too much standing and watching the ball and not man/ball. As for our offense, we can't drive the lane and having to take too many 3s. I hope Coach K has a great half time talk to get the guys energized. GoDuke!

DarkstarWahoo
02-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Louisville is no joke this year. Mack has to be the favorite for ACC coach of the year at this point (with apologies to your former assistant).

chadlee989
02-12-2019, 10:11 PM
We are winning this game

cbarry
02-12-2019, 10:13 PM
We are winning this game
Lol. I’ll have what he’s drinking!

InSpades
02-12-2019, 10:14 PM
It's not about fouls. It's about taking good shots. They are taking much better shots. Easier shots. They are getting open 3s and transition buckets.

I'm sure K ripped into them at the half (as he should). Maybe they'll come out and play better in the 2nd half.

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Not much of a change so far

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Not an illegal screen

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Absolutely not a foul on Zion. Guy runs into Zion and sells it.

DukeDevil
02-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Wow BS call. Not an illegal screen in the slightest

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Absolutely not a foul on Zion. Guy runs into Zion and sells it.

Looked like a clean screen to me. If they're going to call that, we're done.

Papa John
02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
It's not about fouls. It's about taking good shots. They are taking much better shots. Easier shots. They are getting open 3s and transition buckets.

I'm sure K ripped into them at the half (as he should). Maybe they'll come out and play better in the 2nd half.

But it is about fouls if you cannot take good shots because you cannot get in a position to get good shots because nothing is being called. Or, worse yet, because when you set a LEGAL screen, you’re called for a foul. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

InSpades
02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Has RJ taken a good shot all night? I'm not sure.

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 10:22 PM
K needs to go crazy on the sidelines. This is pathetic.

InSpades
02-12-2019, 10:24 PM
But it is about fouls if you cannot take good shots because you cannot get in a position to get good shots because nothing is being called. Or, worse yet, because when you set a LEGAL screen, you’re called for a foul. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

That's 1 play. How many layups have they had? That's why we are losing. Cause RJ forces a wild shot in traffic and then they get a layup. You can't win when the shots you are taking are twice as difficult as the shots they are taking. Please stop whining about fouls. Yes, Zion's screen was a bad call, calls like that happen 10 times per game and you'll get about half of them.

Mak P
I'm rotating guys right now if i'm K. Seeing what we have

ChrisP
RJ with a horrible decision there to go basically...1 on 5? This is, apparently, our annual lay an egg game. Don't see us turning this around.

These kids need to learn they are going to get everyone's best shot EVERY night.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 10:25 PM

Totally disagree with this. Almost every drive we had was slowed by a bump, arm bar and/or grab. Two fouls on loovill in 20 minutes? Ridiculous.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm rotating guys right now if i'm K. Seeing what we have

Yeah I was thinking the same thing earlier on. I’m not sure why we haven’t seen that yet.

arnie
Looked like a clean screen to me. If they're going to call that, we're done.

Clean screen, Rece Davis maybe the dumbest ESPN announcer ever.

rsvman
This is pretty harsh.

devildeac
Adjustments need to be made.

This was always going to be a tough game to win, coming off a highly charged win over virginia.

No surprise lville have come out playing like its the ncaa tournament final.

And like a D2 team against the cheats. :mad:

jipops
02-12-2019, 10:27 PM
It was pretty much a given tonight wouldn’t go well after everything going so well vs. UVA. Regressing back to the mean.

cbarry
02-12-2019, 10:28 PM
CDu- not sure what you’re referring to. It’s just not our night. Nobody is happy about it. It is what it is.
Hopefully we will learn from it and improve from here.

You would think you would learn after all the previous game threads in which you have done this...

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Jesus Jack shoot the basketball.

Mak P
Jack needs to get it together. Ok you sucked vs Syracuse, get over it

jipops
I saw a few local writers say Duke has the ACC regular season wrapped up after last night’s uva win over ufc. This was either extreme ignorance or was done on purpose to manufacture shock and drama.

Tonight’s pending result is not a surprise. And more losses are coming.

Papa John
That's 1 play. How many layups have they had? That's why we are losing. Cause RJ forces a wild shot in traffic and then they get a layup. You can't win when the shots you are taking are twice as difficult as the shots they are taking. Please stop whining about fouls. Yes, Zion's screen was a bad call, calls like that happen 10 times per game and you'll get about half of them.

I don’t whine about bad calls, and I imagine there are many on this board who could point that out to you, young grasshopper. And it isn’t just the Zion screen. If we’re watching the same game, you should understand that RJ has had no freedom of movement in driving to the basket because of the physicality of play, which is not being called evenly on both ends of the floor. And as I type this we have another example of Cam getting raked away from the basket with no whistle, then they call Jack for a weak charge... Oh well...

All this aside... that “Zion can’t dunk” sign, though simple, is kinda funny...

ChicagoCrazy84
02-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Jack needs to get it together. Ok you sucked vs Syracuse, get over it

Right? Season has gone downhill for him since that night. At some point you gotta just go out there and let it loose.

CDu
02-12-2019, 10:31 PM
CDu- not sure what you’re referring to. It’s just not our night. Nobody is happy about it. It is what it is.
Hopefully we will learn from it and improve from here.

Pretty sure you have made similar in-game comments in games we have come back to win. Sorry if I have the wrong poster in mind.

InSpades
02-12-2019, 10:33 PM
I don’t whine about bad calls, and I imagine there are many on this board who could point that out to you, young grasshopper. And it isn’t just the Zion screen. If we’re watching the same game, you should understand that RJ has had no freedom of movement in driving to the basket because of the physicality of play, which is not being called evenly on both ends of the floor. And as I type this we have another example of Cam getting raked away from the basket with no whistle, then they call Jack for a weak charge... Oh well...

You are whining about the calls. You proceed to whine about the calls immediately after saying you don't whine about the calls. The game is being called perfectly fine. We are just playing terribly. The charge on Jack was an obvious charge. If you can't see that... maybe it's you who needs to watch the game.

Ballboy1998
02-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Lol now that Duke is down 20 the refs will call a few fouls. Thanks!

cbarry
02-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Pretty sure you have made similar in-game comments in games we have come back to win. Sorry if I have the wrong poster in mind.

Not sure. I probably lamented our play in the Gonzaga game, which we lost. But I’m just watching this game, and I don’t recognize our team. I said in my first post I hope we keep it under 20 based on my observation of how the game is going. And here we are, down 20 with 13 minutes to go. So maybe I’m not that off base...?

ChrisP
02-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Seriously, they're gonna call Tre fighting over top of a screen? We're not winning this one. Not with refs like these

kAzE
02-12-2019, 10:37 PM
That funeral comment was some major hubris. This is karma . . . stay humble and hungry, guys. We haven't won anything yet.

rsvman
02-12-2019, 10:40 PM
Perfect storm?

ChrisP
At this point, I just want to see some poise and fight. This is just embarrassing now. 20pts? Really???

Ballboy1998
Well, that's freshmen for you. Still embarrassed for Louisville to be part of the acc.

fuse
02-12-2019, 10:42 PM
I expected a tough game.
I expected a close game.
Wow, just.... wow.

It’s the severe outlier games that stun me.
Never expected to blow the doors off Kentucky in the season opener.
I knew we’d lose games, I just didn’t expect to lose for lack of energy and hustle.
If there is a woodshed in the Yum Center, Louisville took us there, big time.

Yowch.

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Bad night. Move on to Saturday.

kako
02-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Usually I am just waiting for the run that will bring the Devils back into the game. But I just don't see it here tonight. Too many mistakes, too many missed assignments, shots not going down. It's not the refs, it's Duke's play or lack thereof. Rebounding is effort, and it shows as they keep losing that battle.

Maybe they read too much crowing them the number 1 seed, ACC champs, etc. I was in sportsbook in Tahoe last weekend and the odds were 2:1 for Duke winning it all. Maybe they started believing their hype.

They are still the best team in the country, but only when they play with max effort. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it coming together tonight. As I write this AOC just stepped out of bounds.

But silver lining - a butt-kicking like this is a great lesson for this team.

9F

Fish80
02-12-2019, 10:47 PM
It ain’t over.

gofurman

Right. Completely outplayed and outcoached ! Louisville getting everything they want - transition and threes and inside. Duke can’t hit anything but it’s Louisville making everything tough on Duke. Duke can’t get inside at all. We are taking outside shots just as they want. They are keeping Duke outside and Louisville Also getting a few points from out of bounds easy plays. Just bad

4Gen
Goldwire with an air bird.

devildeac
02-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Here's our first WTF loss this season.

This is so bad, I'm having a millerlite beer now and gonna follow it with a coorslite, both with extra corn syrup. :mad:

Mak P
02-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Usually I am just waiting for the run that will bring the Devils back into the game. But I just don't see it here tonight. Too many mistakes, too many missed assignments, shots not going down. It's not the refs, it's Duke's play or lack thereof. Rebounding is effort, and it shows as they keep losing that battle.

Maybe they read too much crowing them the number 1 seed, ACC champs, etc. I was in sportsbook in Tahoe last weekend and the odds were 2:1 for Duke winning it all. Maybe they started believing their hype.

They are still the best team in the country, but only when they play with max effort. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it coming together tonight. As I write this AOC just stepped out of bounds.

But silver lining - a butt-kicking like this is a great lesson for this team.

9F

The announcers mentioned duke flight being delayed, could be a big reason why we're out of sync is what they're saying

Just look at the minutes our starting five is getting. This kind of game was bound to happen. I would like to see coach K play the bench more. Even if its 5 minutes, just to maintain a lead and even lose it

ChrisP
Seriously, Goldwire? SMH...

fuse
It ain’t over.

I hope you are right.

I’d like to see the team fight to the end and close the gap. The way this game has gone a low single digit loss might feel like a moral victory.

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Here's our first WTF loss this season.

This is so bad, I'm having a millerlite beer now and gonna follow it with a coorslite, both with extra corn syrup. :mad:

That is as bad as it gets. Especially after the Hoos blasted the Tarholes after only one day off. Wish we could have played this one better.

ACCfaninVirginia
02-12-2019, 10:53 PM
If Duke gets it to 10 by the 5 minute mark - they may come back

Fish80
02-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Guys, it ain’t over.

Ballboy1998
02-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Little run by Duke... Refs to foul out Zion in 3... 2... 1...

WakeDevil
02-12-2019, 10:55 PM
Guys, it ain’t over.our

It was over half an hour ago.

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Foul on that run-out.

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 10:59 PM
Bad night. Move on to Saturday.

Or not. What heart by this team. Too bad it took them 30 minutes.

SavDukeGrad
02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
That was the worst no call on Jones I have ever seen!!! Could have been an F1!

gocanes0506
02-12-2019, 11:01 PM
Im afraid to turn it back on. Ive been watching the score but afraid to jimx the squad by turning it back on.

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 11:02 PM
What was the foul on Goldwire?

scottdude8
02-12-2019, 11:03 PM
No matter what the end result is the fight from this team is incredible

4Gen
02-12-2019, 11:05 PM
That was the worst no call on Jones I have ever seen!!! Could have been an F1!

K had to make up new wanker words, no doubt

WHOneedsSOX
No matter what the end result is the fight from this team is incredible

I agree but very disappointing they didn't play with this energy from the start.

ChrisP
Regardless of the outcome, really proud of the Devils for not giving up

ACCfaninVirginia
02-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Louisville panic as bad as they did against Virginia last year- if Zion stays in Duke will win

downeastdad
02-12-2019, 11:08 PM
Wow!

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Don't relax now. Finish it off.

scottdude8
02-12-2019, 11:12 PM
I was on press row for the 20 point comeback against N.C. State. This is a whole different level than even that. Finish it off boys!

curtis325
02-12-2019, 11:15 PM
Nice home cookin on the Reddish charge.

scottdude8
I don’t think the arc is reviewable, no? Much like the goaltend in the UK game?

kako
Pretty ballsy by that guy with the Zion Can't Dunk sign...

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Pretty ballsy by that guy with the Zion Can't Dunk sign...

It's all in good fun. It's one those college GameDay signs.

kako
02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
It's all in good fun. It's one those college GameDay signs.

I just want Zion to dunk, especially now.

BigZ
02-12-2019, 11:17 PM
How is that a reviewable play but not the goaltend in Kentucky game?

WHOneedsSOX
No miracle 3 tonight please.

scottdude8
I’m telling you, Callipari is having a screaming fit right now that that call could be reviewed but offensive goaltending can’t. I have a feeling that may not be right. Interesting.

kako
Never so happy to be wrong about my earlier post. No other words.

9F

WHOneedsSOX
02-12-2019, 11:18 PM
What a freaking comeback.

gocanes0506
Im glad I turned that back on. No jinx here

scottdude8
Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow. Wow.