PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Virginia (Feb 9, 2019)

JBDuke
02-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over UVA tonight?

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2019, 08:09 PM
I'm voting THREE times for RJ.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-09-2019, 08:09 PM
R J Barrett!

DU82
02-09-2019, 08:10 PM
RJ and Cam’s threes were great, but every time we needed a play, Tre was there.

devilsince1977
02-09-2019, 08:13 PM
This was a tough one. Cam made so many really good plays I had to give it to him; but it could have been RJ or Tre.

lotusland
02-09-2019, 08:18 PM
This was a tough one. Cam made so many really good plays I had to give it to him; but it could have been RJ or Tre.

Same for me. Cam defended extremely well and made some big plays on both ends. RJ also had a great game and his stat line was impressive. Tough call but Cam got my vote.

kAzE
02-09-2019, 08:23 PM
I also voted for Cam. He made so many plays on defense, and was extremely efficient/didn't force anything on offense. RJ, Tre, and Zion were all deserving of MOTM as well, but those 3 guys combined for 13 turnovers. Cam had none, so he gets MOTM for me.

plimnko
02-09-2019, 08:27 PM
I'm going to have to go with MEN......a great TEAM effort!!!

Bob Green
02-09-2019, 08:28 PM
R.J. set the tone early but I cannot argue with anyone who voted for Cam or Tre. An absolute great team victory tonight as our Blue Devils took it to the Cavaliers for 40 minutes.

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2019, 08:30 PM
I also voted for Cam. He made so many plays on defense, and was extremely efficient/didn't force anything on offense. RJ, Tre, and Zion were all deserving of MOTM as well, but those 3 guys combined for 13 turnovers. Cam had none, so he gets MOTM for me.

I'd say this is the first game in a long while that he wasn't deserving. Aside from his defense, he was a turnover machine and his second half was very low scoring.

'Bout time he sucked! :rolleyes: (His defense was pretty awesome...)

Saratoga2
02-09-2019, 08:31 PM
I chose Tre for his wonderful overall game but can see Cam or RJ. All three had excellet games.

jv001
02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Went with RJ for his 3 explosion to begin the game. Those baskets gave us momentum against a very good Virginia team playing in front of a loud home crowd. I just as well could have voted for Zion, Cam or Tre. Great win. Now Hoos beat the heck out of those cheating heels Monday night. GoDuke!

throatybeard
02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
What an astounding performance by the entire team. Virginia kept coming back and coming back and these frosh just shut it down like seniors.

kAzE
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
I'd say this is the first game in a long while that he wasn't deserving. Aside from his defense, he was a turnover machine and his second half was very low scoring.

'Bout time he sucked! :rolleyes: (His defense was pretty awesome...)

Well, I'm giving him a little slack because Virginia's gameplan on defense was clearly to deny him touches, and to double him on every touch.

Despite the efforts of the best defensive team in the country making his life miserable, he still had a very efficient game scoring, and didn't let any of that affect his effort on D, where he still dominated. Just look at the box score, he still came in 2nd on the team in scoring with 18, shot 75%, got to the foul line 7 times, hit more free throws than anyone else, and casually threw in 5 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks. In my opinion, totally deserving of MOTM. The dude's "bad" games are still incredible.

By the way, RJ also had 5 turnovers.

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2019, 08:34 PM
What an astounding performance by the entire team. Virginia kept coming back and coming back and these frosh just shut it down like seniors.

MB helped tons. He has become so much fun to watch. Buckets and blocks when needed. (Just quit putting the ball on the floor under the basket, Marquise)

ncexnyc
02-09-2019, 08:36 PM
RJ got my vote, but Tre did a nice job of picking up the scoring slack from Zion.

flyingdutchdevil
02-09-2019, 08:38 PM
All four freshman were deserving. Went with cam for his efficiency, zero turnovers, and incredible defense.

killerleft
02-09-2019, 08:39 PM
I voted for Tre. He's the glue. That said, RJ or Cam would have been great choices. Marques, Zion, and Jack all did well. Team effort, I believe!:o

Ballboy1998
02-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Lots of good choices for this one. I had to go with the Maple Mamba for setting the tone and hitting big shot after big shot - also making some great passes for big shots from Cam!

simplyluvin
02-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Pretty close to a perfect game for us. If we had to nitpick, turnovers were an issue. If I had to pick two games to shoot like that, it’s this one and the national title game. Amazing win! Love this team! Go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Zion's most forgettable performance of the season?

MChambers
02-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Despite the excellent play of all seven Duke players, I had to go with Cam, because his defense was amazing. Kyle Guy will be seeing Cam in his sleep for a few nights.

mapei
02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Only because his scoring was less than spectacular and because of his turnovers. His stat line is really impressive.

I voted for RJ by a hair over Tre and two hairs over Cam. What a great team win.

plimnko
02-09-2019, 09:37 PM

That's a testament to Zion's talent.He still had a pretty good stat line. He was 6-8 for 18pts, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 3 steals, BUT 5 turnovers. He did force it a few times. Virginia didn't give him a lot of room to work. A lot of players would call it a great game but it was Zion. lol

Les Grossman
02-09-2019, 09:39 PM
RJ was deadly accurate and probably the star of the game. But Cam was 'on' too. And so was Tre!

MrPoon
02-09-2019, 09:55 PM
One of the hardest votes of the year. Zion changes everything, so even on a night where he had to work extra hard for a little less result, UVa’s D had to adjust every time he touched it and that opened up a lot for others. Plus, the block on the three just didn’t even make sense. My wife asked what LBJ thought of that play, wish we had that camera angle.

RJ is simply nasty. Dude just doesn’t loose, crap! I don’t think he even blinks at big game pressure. We need to start stealing Chuck Norris jokes and replacing RJ’s name, “When RJ turned 18, his parents moved out” “There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures RJ allows to live.” “RJ's house has no doors, only walls that he walks through.” “Barrett can believe it's not butter.“ “RJ can divide by 0”. You get the idea.

With all that said, I voted Cam. (Please don’t tell RJ)
Cam was all over and filled the gaps everywhere, rb when needed, steal, a block or two, no TO, just free flowing athletic Cam, big in the biggest games of the year. Dig this kid. The rest of the field gets nervous if he plays like this.

CDu
02-09-2019, 10:01 PM

I will take an 18 point (on 8 FGA), 5 rebound, 5 assist, 3 block, and 3 steal game anytime.

curtis325
02-09-2019, 10:22 PM

Not to me. A very nice stst line save the turnovers. Good defense, 36 minutes floor time in a ten-point ACC road win against a top five team. UVA paying a lot of attention to Zion may have helped those three point shooters get open. Very memorable, maybe even priceless.

NYBri
02-09-2019, 11:28 PM
Went with Cam. 😎

weezie
02-10-2019, 12:56 AM
...UVA paying a lot of attention to Zion may have helped those three point shooters get open...

Absolutely correct and putting it mildly, paying attention! Always there were 2 and many minutes of 3 defenders on Z. Pinning his arms and stepping on his feet and once when he tried turning there was a charge called...and when he was passing, he passed it like a boss.

And to the poor losers inside jpj who chanted "Overrated" towards Zion at least two times, go suck an egg, you March hangover sufferers.

Seriously, bad form you wannabees. Shutting you up was a treat.

Devilwin
02-10-2019, 06:56 AM
RJ. But all of the freshman quartet played well. As a group their best game of the year. Now maybe UVA is mad enough to take care of UNC.

NYBri
02-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Absolutely correct and putting it mildly, paying attention! Always there were 2 and many minutes of 3 defenders on Z. Pinning his arms and stepping on his feet and once when he tried turning there was a charge called...and when he was passing, he passed it like a boss.

And to the poor losers inside jpj who chanted "Overrated" towards Zion at least two times, go suck an egg, you March hangover sufferers.

Seriously, bad form you wannabees. Shutting you up was a treat.

They definitely thought, if we lose someone else is going to have to beat us...and they did. 😎

Phredd3
02-10-2019, 07:49 AM
RJ, primarily for the run to start the game, but Cam's 3-and-D could have qualified, Zion's amazing stat line with high efficiency in the face of concentrated attention and highlight blocks could have gotten it, and Tre's smothering on-ball D, excellent decision-making, and clutch three could have done it, as well. The best thing about the game is that the choice was so hard. We may not win the game (and certainly don't win it by 10) without any one of those guys. Great team ball.

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
RJ. But all of the freshman quartet played well. As a group their best game of the year. Now maybe UVA is mad enough to take care of UNC.

Kentucky says hello.

I voted Cam. But the more I see that Zion block, the more I wanted to vote for him. Oh my lord. Zion really is superhuman.

arnie
02-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Kentucky says hello.

I voted Cam. But the more I see that Zion block, the more I wanted to vote for him. Oh my lord. Zion really is superhuman.

Only the 6th top play on SC. They’re getting bored with Zion😀. Should have been #2 behind the ruination of UCLA.

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Only the 6th top play on SC. They’re getting bored with Zion😀. Should have been #2 behind the ruination of UCLA.

#6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a top 3 Zion play all year long!

Is ESPN trying to dial back their Zion lovefest?

fathippo
02-10-2019, 09:41 AM
I love that the bulk of the scoring was done by our big four and not just RJ and Zion. This makes us harder to defend and less susceptible to upset. Tre, Cam and RJ are all correct. Tre and Cam's defense was excellent. I voted for RJ for getting us out to an early lead that we were able to hold the entire game and for his funeral quote.

budwom
02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Despite the excellent play of all seven Duke players, I had to go with Cam, because his defense was amazing. Kyle Guy will be seeing Cam in his sleep for a few nights.

Reddish looked like he was about a foot taller the way he hovered over Guy...superb performance, even though Guy got his 16 pts...

weezie
02-10-2019, 10:50 AM
...Is ESPN trying to dial back their Zion lovefest?

Hope so! Save it all for a one hour special on April 9, 2019.

NSDukeFan
02-10-2019, 11:59 AM

I won’t soon forget that block.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-10-2019, 12:05 PM
And to the poor losers inside jpj who chanted "Overrated" towards Zion at least two times, go suck an egg, you March hangover sufferers

The first chant came pretty early and seemed so out of place. As someone who lives in Virginia, I expect more from folks who go to UVa. They’re supposed to be the smart kids.