robed deity
02-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Great win. And that block.

curtis325
02-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Wire to wire win!

Wahoo2000
02-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Congrats to Duke - shoot over 60% from 3 every night, and you'll win almost every game by 20+! Just an amazingly unbelievable shooting performance from 3. Total difference in the game.

jhmoss1812
Good game guys. You guys are just better. Fortunately we don't have to play again. If we do, it'll at least be late in either tourney and I can live with that.

CDu
Well THAT was unexpected! But I will take it.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Fantastic game! And tremendous shooting by all! LGD GTHc!

curtis325
02-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Duke can't win unless they shoot at least 60% from 3.

Danke Shane
02-09-2019, 08:06 PM
It’s all the more satisfying thanks to the halftime show discussion unanimously giving the edge to UVA despite the fact Duke had controlled the entire first half.

billy
Fantastic game! And tremendous shooting by all! LGD GTHc!

No minutes for AOC - was he sick/injured? I'm sure I missed something...

curtis325
Good game guys. You guys are just better. Fortunately we don't have to play again. If we do, it'll at least be late in either tourney and I can live with that.

Now please beat the crap out of the cheats.

gocanes0506
It was nice to see Duke do to an opponent that typically has done to them: shoot well above usual 3 point percentage.

Duke should be number 1 come Monday.

kAzE
Since the Kentucky game, that was the first time every guy in the starting lineup had a great game in the same game.

What a team performance on both ends of the court! We looked like the best team in the country today.

MChambers
02-09-2019, 08:08 PM
To the UVa fans who post here. You’ve got a great program and a great team. Your posts raise the level of discourse here.

Wahoo2000
02-09-2019, 08:08 PM
Since the Kentucky game, that was the first time every guy in the starting lineup had a great game in the same game.

What a team performance on both ends of the court! We looked like the best team in the country today.

For real. I was proud of the UVA guys to keep it to a 10pt margin. I'd guess if Duke shoots over 60% from 3 and makes 13 (or more), they beat ANYBODY by 20+. Actually, probably 25+......

MChambers
02-09-2019, 08:09 PM
It was nice to see Duke do to an opponent that typically has done to them: shoot well above usual 3 point percentage.

So who predicted that Duke would win by shooting a higher percentage from 3 than 2? Raise your hand and link to your pregame post, please.

jhmoss1812
02-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Now please beat the crap out of the cheats.

I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.

TruBlu
02-09-2019, 08:11 PM
To the UVa fans who post here. You’ve got a great program and a great team. Your posts raise the level of discourse here.

Seconded. We are all big UVA fans next week, especially Monday.

arnie
02-09-2019, 08:12 PM
It’s all the more satisfying thanks to the halftime show discussion unanimously giving the edge to UVA despite the fact Duke had controlled the entire first half.

Yea and poor Jay is perfect at picking losers during Game Day.

duke2x
We're 2-2 on the season in nights were you can beat (UK, tonight) or lose to anybody. Tonight reminded me a little of Jason Tatum's performance in the game up there 2 years ago. I don't think Round 3 will be as favorable to us as the first two.

We are all UVA fans on Monday night. Good luck.

CDu
For real. I was proud of the UVA guys to keep it to a 10pt margin. I'd guess if Duke shoots over 60% from 3 and makes 13 (or more), they beat ANYBODY by 20+. Actually, probably 25+...

Yeah, a tough one for sure. You guys played a heck of a game just to stay within shouting distance. But Duke was simply having an out of body experience from 3. Not much you can do when that happens.

Now go beat the urine out of the Heels!

Saratoga2
For real. I was proud of the UVA guys to keep it to a 10pt margin. I'd guess if Duke shoots over 60% from 3 and makes 13 (or more), they beat ANYBODY by 20+. Actually, probably 25+...

Duke shot well from three and played excellent defense. I thought UVA also played excellent defense and showed how capable they are on defense. They should be proud of their effort tonight.

Waynne
02-09-2019, 08:13 PM
And I've been schooled to believe Duke can't shoot 3s. Bad assumption for this game. Best game we've played this year.

MChambers
02-09-2019, 08:14 PM
I would be pretty surprised if we win Monday night. That's a really tough turnaround after a really physical game.
Well, UNC had an overtime game themselves, so that helps.

dukelifer
So who predicted that Duke would win by shooting a higher percentage from 3 than 2? Raise your hand and link to your pregame post, please.

The team seems to find a way. Liked Cam's play. He looked confident out there. That drive and dish to Zion was a key play in the game. Not sure we will shoot like that again- but they were shots in rhythm. Tre played a brilliant game and RJ was a man tonight. Also I thought Bolden was very important tonight with his blocks and good post defense. Hoos are a very good team and they were well rested. Losing Diakite hurt them but the kid who came in for him had many good moments. Great win but just the start of a very tough stretch. One game at a time.

duke2x

I would rather be in your shoes. Having 24 hours to prepare for your defense after an OT game isn't optimal.

CameronDuke
02-09-2019, 08:17 PM
21-2, 9-1.

Coach K improves to 11-3 vs Tony Bennett in his career.

A wire to wire win on the road at a team good enough to make the final four. Just an unreal night shooting the ball from 3 and getting to the line while also forcing 14 turnovers, getting 12 steals, and having 18 assists on 26 made shots. It's not like Virginia shot poorly. They shot 28-60 overall and 10-24 from 3. Duke just knocked them back early and I think the closest they got after being down 14 was 4 at the half. Whenever Virginia cut it to 5 or 7 in the 2nd half, Duke just hit clutch shot after clutch shot. Duke really showed me something tonight in a hostile environment.

Jay Huff by the way is gonna be an absolute stud. He has a lot of Ryan Kelly in him.

Virginia was 17-1 in the ACC last year (20-1 including the ACCT) and already has 2 Ls in the league this year with trips to UNC and Virginia Tech still.

On to Louisville to resume this gauntlet of a schedule.

Let's Go Duke!

DavidBenAkiva
02-09-2019, 08:18 PM
OK I am going to keep talking about the road 3P% until Duke goes cold, which may happen on Tuesday against Louisville.

Ballboy1998
02-09-2019, 08:19 PM
UVA may be the only team in the country that could keep the game competitive with Duke shooting like that from three. Huge team win.

Now, Hoos, please take out all your frustration on the holes Monday night!

rocketeli
02-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?

CDu
02-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Fun stat: UVa was only within 3 points at the opening possession. And after Duke took a 5-0 lead, it was never again a single-possession game.

Saratoga2
02-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Wow. What a display of three point shooting tonight with RJ and Cam just so hot. Tre also was extremely impressive with his disruptive defense, good passing and many contributions on offense. Virginia played very good defense which showed up on the many turnovers on Duke. Zion had more tonight than I have seen before and also RJ tried to force it inside and that didn't work. At times, Virginia looked quicker to the ball, but when Duke hits the 3 at that rate, they are hard to beat. Duke did look tired at the end of the first half but seemed to recover in the second half and Jack White's defense helped give Zion a rest. Bolden had another good game, a little difficulty with his footwork, but his defense was very good, even when beaten on terrific UVA offensive plays.

Cam's overall game has really come a long way. Great defense and great scoring with minimal turnovers.

DarkstarWahoo
I would rather be in your shoes. Having 24 hours to prepare for your defense after an OT game isn't optimal.

OTOH, Heels are playing their best ball of the season and Hoos were playing their worst entering tonight, when they got somewhat back on track. Granted, some of that had to do with Jerome’s back issues, but winning in the Dean Dome with them playing like they are will be a tall order.

I’d be pretty happy with 2-2 in the next four (@UNC, ND, @VT, @Louisville). I think UVA is leveling off.

Wahoo2000

Depends on availability of Jerome and Diakite. IF we're down both of those guys, it's HUGE trouble. Even just being down Diakite would be big trouble given that UNC seems to have returned to using 2 bigs a lot.

**Now back to your regularly scheduled Duke postgame thread**

Again, incredibly impressed at the shooting. I would have assumed even wide open and uncontested Duke might've been at best in the 45-50% range, and that makes this a toss up game. Man, I will not forget that shooting exhibition ANYTIME soon. Amazing..... out of adjectives.

WVDUKEFAN
02-09-2019, 08:23 PM
A very impressive win. 10 points at UVA is like 20-25 anywhere else.

CDu
02-09-2019, 08:23 PM
OTOH, Heels are playing their best ball of the season and Hoos were playing their worst entering tonight, when they got somewhat back on track. Granted, some of that had to do with Jerome’s back issues, but winning in the Dean Dome with them playing like they are will be a tall order.

I’d be pretty happy with 2-2 in the next four (@UNC, ND, @VT, @Louisville). I think UVA is leveling off.

Counterpoint: UNC just needed a last-possession 3 to send it to OT... at home... against Miami.

lotusland
02-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Virginia: If you want to win you're going to have to beat us with the 3.
Duke: Well, okay.

Quick-ish question for any basketball rule nerds out there. There was a sequence in the second half where Zion Williamson lost control of the ball/was try to control the ball and was on the ground with the ball bouncing around and going off his foot, followed by a Virginia player tapping it as it went out of bounds. It looked like the ref however "whistled the play dead" from the point of the "kick" at least he was making kicking motions, and awarded the ball to Virginia. Huh?

It think it was called a kicked ball by Zion.

Duke76
02-09-2019, 08:24 PM

really in balance with almost all of those threes and if they can hold there arm/hand follow through like tonight.....our length bothered them and Tre just so great with the hands...seems to play really well in bigger games as does RJ

DarkstarWahoo
02-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Counterpoint: UNC just needed a last-possession 3 to send it to OT... at home... against Miami.

I’m about to de-spork you (is that a word?) for preserving my autocorrect mistake for posterity.

godins
RJ's post-game interview on the court was great. "We love road games. That's why we wear black, cause it's their funeral."

I love these guys -- they're killers.

duke4ever19
Over-Under on Coach K mentioning that "UVA isn't just a great team, but a great program" in the postgame presser?

Jay Bilas said it before tip-off and I'm thinking we are witnessing the evolution of a K-ism into the typical verbiage one hears from college basketball analysts.

WVDUKEFAN
02-09-2019, 08:26 PM

I don’t think Virginia played basketball at all. Duke was just unconsciouss tonight from 3. Granted, UVA hit huge shots with someone’s hand in their face, but they played great. The essentially shut down Big Z in the second half.

CDu
02-09-2019, 08:27 PM
I’m about to de-spork you (is that a word?) for preserving my autocorrect mistake for posterity.

Ooooh, sorry. Didn’t see that when I posted :/

CameronDuke
02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
After Diakite hit heads with Hunter, did he ever return to the game? He looked pretty woozy. I don't think he returned. Hope he's able to go at UNC Monday night.

JBDuke
02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Depends on availability of Jerome and Diakite. IF we're down both of those guys, it's HUGE trouble. Even just being down Diakite would be big trouble given that UNC seems to have returned to using 2 bigs a lot.

**Now back to your regularly scheduled Duke postgame thread**

Again, incredibly impressed at the shooting. I would have assumed even wide open and uncontested Duke might've been at best in the 45-50% range, and that makes this a toss up game. Man, I will not forget that shooting exhibition ANYTIME soon. Amazing.... out of adjectives.

Any early reports on Diakite? Jerome looked pretty good tonight, so I'm assuming he'll be fine for Monday.

Wahoo2000
02-09-2019, 08:33 PM
After Diakite hit heads with Hunter, did he ever return to the game? He looked pretty woozy. I don't think he returned. Hope he's able to go at UNC Monday night.

He did not return. Fingers crossed for UNC game. We'll need him. We're not that deep to begin with and it's a FAST turnaround after a very physical game.

jv001
02-09-2019, 08:35 PM
No minutes for AOC - was he sick/injured? I'm sure I missed something...

The way the team was shooting 3s, Alex's offense wasn't needed and he would have had a hard time on defense. GoDuke!

Wahoo2000
02-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Any early reports on Diakite? Jerome looked pretty good tonight, so I'm assuming he'll be fine for Monday.

Nothing concrete yet. Bennett said Diakite was a little "fuzzy" after he and Hunter knocked heads, but made it clear he hadn't talked to the trainers yet, so it's far from a professional medical opinion.

I think if it was football, Diakite would miss monday for sure. Basketball? Seems 50/50.

CameronDuke
02-09-2019, 08:38 PM
He did not return. Fingers crossed for UNC game. We'll need him. We're not that deep to begin with and it's a FAST turnaround after a very physical game.

Agreed. He looked good early. Diakite that is. Had a nice basket around the rim and nailed a 3.

I kind of want to see Tony put Diakete and Huff in together more instead of Salt. I like the lineup of Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Diakite, and Huff. Salt is limited offensively and Huff is just so damn good to me. I love that kid's game. I love Salt's attitude and will though. No knock to him. I just think a Diakite/Huff front court with Hunter at the stretch 3 would be amazingly tough to match up against.

DarkstarWahoo
02-09-2019, 08:38 PM
I don’t think Virginia played basketball at all.

It’s sheer hypocrisy for me to call out any posting mistakes right now, but this is too funny not to highlight.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-09-2019, 08:40 PM
Agreed. He looked good early. Diakite that is. Had a nice basket around the rim and nailed a 3.

I kind of want to see Tony put Diakete and Huff in together more instead of Salt. I like the lineup of Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Diakite, and Huff. Salt is limited offensively and Huff is just so damn good to me. I love that kid's game. I love Salt's attitude and will though. No knock to him. I just think a Diakite/Huff front court with Hunter at the stretch 3 would be amazingly tough to match up against.

FWIW....as a Duke fan, I much preferred to see Salt on the floor instead of Huff.

fathippo
02-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Understandably everyone will talk about Duke's 3-pt shooting, but I think the 17 fast break points to zero for UVA was also important.

ChillinDuke
02-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Wow. That was some game. A wire-to-wire dominant win at UVA?! Hooooweeee. I'll take it. The game never really felt in doubt after the first few minutes. UVA kept putting a charge in and we just kept answering. I just felt so confident in this team all night long.

Nice to see them hitting threes mostly in rhythm and controlled. Maybe we're reverting to the mean? Maybe?!

We are just so tough on so many fronts. That Zion block felt like a game sealer. An open three for UVA there puts a bunch of game pressure on Duke. That block seemed to keep things loose. That just felt like a block no one else in college could possibly make. Even my fiance, whose a pretty casual onlooker, was like "Oh my God!"

- Chillin

jhmoss1812
02-09-2019, 08:42 PM
81-71 on 63 possessions. That's insane offensive efficiency by both teams against two of the better defenses in the country. I can't remember the last time we scored 1.13 ppp and lost a game. Kudos to Duke for just being better.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-09-2019, 08:44 PM
When it comes to our incredible three point shooting today, I’ll say the same thing that I said when we were 3-43: the average is the average because it is the average. LGD GTHc!

duketaylor
02-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the UVA folks coming here before and after. We've seen 2 incredible games so far between our teams. Living in Richmond I hear my share of...you can imagine. Two best teams in the country I think. Hoos need to win in Chapel Hell Monday nite...please. Beat the Holes!!!

jv001
02-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Duke is #1 in Ken-Pom after the game tonight. I can't remember if we were #1 before the game. GoDuke!

MChambers
02-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Duke is #1 in Ken-Pom after the game tonight. I can't remember if we were #1 before the game. GoDuke!

We were fairly far behind before the game.

Neals384
02-09-2019, 08:56 PM
It think it was called a kicked ball by Zion.

Section 6. Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
Art. 1. It is a violation when a player intentionally kicks the ball, strikes it with
the fist or causes it to pass through the basket and enter the cylinder from below.
(See Rule 9-15.2.b)
Art. 2. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg
or the foot. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a
violation.

jv001
02-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks for that information. Memory not as young as other parts of my body. :cool:GoDuke!

Neals384
02-09-2019, 08:59 PM
I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line:cool:

Ballboy1998
Section 6. Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
Art. 1. It is a violation when a player intentionally kicks the ball, strikes it with
the fist or causes it to pass through the basket and enter the cylinder from below.
(See Rule 9-15.2.b)
Art. 2. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg
or the foot. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a
violation.

Yeah, the ref was clearly indicating that he thought Zion intentionally kicked the ball -- whether that was the correct call, I don't know, as I haven't gone back to rewatch it or anything. Generally a tough call for the officials as one of the few calls that incorporates intentional versus incidental contact.

Pghdukie
I for 1 was especially nervous at the beginning of the game. I seen TV TEDDY Valentine was officiating! But to his credit, I thought the ref crew did an excellent job.

JayZee
02-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Wow. That was some game. A wire-to-wire dominant win at UVA?! Hooooweeee. I'll take it. The game never really felt in doubt after the first few minutes. UVA kept putting a charge in and we just kept answering. I just felt so confident in this team all night long.

Nice to see them hitting threes mostly in rhythm and controlled. Maybe we're reverting to the mean? Maybe?!

We are just so tough on so many fronts. That Zion block felt like a game sealer. An open three for UVA there puts a bunch of game pressure on Duke. That block seemed to keep things loose. That just felt like a block no one else in college could possibly make. Even my fiance, whose a pretty casual onlooker, was like "Oh my God!"

- Chillin

Think of the fans on the sideline. OH MY GOD DON’T KILL ME.

Btw - how can Virginia and Maryland be right next to each other, but the fan bases seem like polar opposites. Really appreciate the Hoo fans who post on DBR. But the fans in the stadium seemed pretty cool too. This Duke team is pretty hard to complain about though. They play hard and clean and don’t complain or talk much smack. Good times.

tbyers11
02-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the ref was clearly indicating that he thought Zion intentionally kicked the ball -- whether that was the correct call, I don't know, as I haven't gone back to rewatch it or anything. Generally a tough call for the officials as one of the few calls that incorporates intentional versus incidental contact.

I watched the replay and definitely did not look like an intentional kick by Zion. Bad call. However, the ball actually ended up going off Zion's hand last anyway so its a wash

gep
02-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"...:confused: Maybe I missed everything.

uh_no
02-09-2019, 09:03 PM

it' wasn't that far. it's hovered around 1 point since our last slate of games.

The exact numbers were 36.07 to 34.80

Which is now 36.24 to 24.92

Ballboy1998
02-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Think of the fans on the sideline. OH MY GOD DON’T KILL ME.

Btw - how can Virginia and Maryland be right next to each other, but the fan bases seem like polar opposites. Really appreciate the Hoo fans who post on DBR. But the fans in the stadium seemed pretty cool too. This Duke team is pretty hard to complain about though. They play hard and clean and don’t complain or talk much smack. Good times.

Speaking of the fans at the game, apparently ESPN wouldn't let this wonderful sign in for College Game Day:

https://i.redd.it/bpqrin00ukf21.jpg

-jk
02-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"...:confused:

Recent rule addition. You can’t overly crowd someone standing with the ball.

Afraid I don’t have my rule book handy, but it’s a valid call.

(Though the refs were certainly letting ‘em play tonight, so it was a weird one to call.)

-jk

CDu
02-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Can someone explain (to me, at least) the "in the cylinder" call against Bolden, when he was guarding the UVa player. Bilas said something to the effect that Bolden was "too close". I thought that was the idea of "good defense"...:confused: Maybe I missed everything.

You can’t invade a player’s vertical space. Bolden was leaning onto a Salt such that Bolden’s torso was above Salt’s feet. Make contact in that position and it is a foul.

kAzE
02-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Speaking of the fans at the game, apparently ESPN wouldn't let this wonderful sign in for College Game Day

The way their governorship is going right now, I'd vote for Bennett too.

Dukehky
02-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Our defense is better than theirs. Period. All they did was praise UVA's defense, but Cam Reddish was the best defensive player on the court tonight.

CoachJ10
02-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Played great basketball on both ends of the court tonight. Poised and confident on offense, aware and aggressive on defense.

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degree of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Jerome is very fortunate for the rough handling he got away with against RJ. There was definitely some home cooking that helped him out there.

And I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.

Billy Dat
02-09-2019, 09:15 PM
-RJ set the tone tonight. Dude is never afraid of the moment.

-Glad someone pointed out that Virginia shot it pretty well, too, and were pulling some heavily contested 2s and 3s out their backsides to keep it feeling close.

-Duke D was tough. There were many times we got strips when they had what looked like easy buckets and we stole a bunch of inside passes down the stretch.

-I thought Duke got most of the breaks in terms of whistles and losing Diakite was a big deal.

-I agree about Huff vs Salt, the kid is a more modern player, maybe his D is that much worse?

-Cam Fam set the 2nd half tone, he is really coming into his own and starting to flex.

-Stones came on big in 2H. Bolden continued his really good play and Jack looked good too. Even Jav showed some fire in the mini Jerome dust up. As someone said, everyone played well.

-Z’s block was ridiculous.

-Guy was really good on O, a very very gifted scorer.

-Speaking of flex, during the presser, someone asked K if he knew Lebron was coming and he said something like, “Yeah, we were texting earlier.”

-UVA is as good as it gets along with a few others, to have 2 wins over them is big time.

-The way this Duke team defends, after nearly a decade of futility, is awesome. Let’s head to Kentucky and beat some ***

jv001
02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Played great basketball on both ends of the court tonight. Poised and confident on offense, aware and aggressive on defense.

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degre of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Jerome is very fortunate for the rough handling he got away with against RJ. There was definitely some home cooking that helped him out there.

And I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.

Some things never change. However he seems to be a little less harsh on Duke this season. I think he really likes this team, especially Zion. GoDuke!

duketaylor
02-09-2019, 09:16 PM
I'm sick & tired of these slow starts, guys jacking up 3s and being lousy at the free throw line:cool:

I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.
Just saw the smiley face, so my bad!! And I agree with Bennett for governor!!

uh_no
02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degre of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

It really wasn't though. Especially in the segment around halftime.

raw: 71/63 = 112.6
adjusted: 95.1

It wasn't awful, but it certainly wasn't great.

The first half was particularly not great: 35/30 = 116, or ~99 adjusted.

They really abused our switch everything mentality at times, catching bolden with some poor switches, and catching Tre in the post, and passing over the defense two possessions in a row.

If we had played fantastic defense, this game is a blowout with how spectacularly the offense was. We didn't Bennett is a fantastic coach and went to work on the fact that we always come out switching everything.

jv001
02-09-2019, 09:21 PM
I'm lost on this post. Slow start and jacking up 3s. Tonight? We led 8-0, never trailed. Unless ur posting from UVA perspective.
At the half Duke hadn't missed a FT and maybe only 2 3's. Must be a UVA post. Duke played some awesome D this evening.

I think Neals was joking. See the :cool: There have been many posts saying Duke can't win by having slow starts, and jacking up 3s. Well we hit the 3s and got off to a fantastic start. GoDuke!

uh_no
02-09-2019, 09:21 PM

I think your sarcasm detector is realllllyyy broken :)

Ballboy1998
02-09-2019, 09:23 PM

At the rate it's going, he might end up with the job through the line of succession.

gep
02-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Recent rule addition. You can’t overly crowd someone standing with the ball.

Afraid I don’t have my rule book handy, but it’s a valid call.

(Though the refs were certainly letting ‘em play tonight, so it was a weird one to call.)

-jk

You can’t invade a player’s vertical space. Bolden was leaning onto a Salt such that Bolden’s torso was above Salt’s feet. Make contact in that position and it is a foul.

Thanks, guys... I agree if there's contact, then it's a foul. But "close" guarding? "Overly crowding" a player? What about when there's a double-team on a ball handler... sometimes I can't even see the ball handler, especially when the defensive double-team is "leaning" over the ball handler. Isn't that "overly crowding" too? :confused: Or maybe that will be called this year.

proelitedota
02-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Despite winning by 10 points and shooting 62% from 3, I thought we played a mediocre game overall. We were uncharacteristically careless with the ball and on the defensive boards. We had less possessions than UVA and that's never good, not even in a win.

/DAD RANT OVER

GG. That was well fought win.

jhmoss1812
02-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Guy was really good on O, a very very gifted scorer.

I'd have to disagree. I thought he played a pretty poor game. 6-15 from the field and 3-9 from 3. He also turned the ball over 5 times. I think Cam played excellent defense on him but this is not what I would describe as a good offensive game by Kyle Guy.

CoachJ10
02-09-2019, 09:26 PM

They really abused our switch everything mentality at times, catching bolden with some poor switches, and catching Tre in the post, and passing over the defense two possessions in a row.

If we had played fantastic defense, this game is a blowout with how spectacularly the offense was. We didn't Bennett is a fantastic coach and went to work on the fact that we always come out switching everything.

The shots that the Wahoos made were contested and very difficult shots...as has been pointed out, if they don’t hit a high % of low % shots, its a 20 pt win.

If you think this wasn’t a great defensive effort..your standards are much higher than mine.

LSanders
02-09-2019, 09:27 PM
When it comes to our incredible three point shooting today, I’ll say the same thing that I said when we were 3-43: the average is the average because it is the average. LGD GTHc!

Gotta feeling you really mean that ...

uh_no
02-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Despite winning by 10 points and shooting 62% from 3, I thought we played a mediocre game overall. We were uncharacteristically careless with the ball and on the defensive boards. We had less possessions than UVA and that's never good, not even in a win.

/DAD RANT OVER

While I agree with your thesis, and thought that good shooting (though stemming from really good selection mostly) covered up a lot of things, almost axiomatically you have the same number of actual possessions as the other team. except for the switch at halftime, you get a chance with the ball, then the other team gets a chance with the ball.

In terms of statistical possesions:

duke and uva each had almost exactly 63

Duke:
45 + .475 * 23 + 15 -8 = 62.9

uva:
60 + .475 * 7 - 14 + 14 = 63.3

The only discrepencies come from if a team gets two possessions in a row around half time, or starts and ends the game with the ball, or ends up with a really odd number of FTs (missing a ton of 1+1s, or &1s, or fouls on 3 point shots, which didn't happen tonight)

dukelifer
02-09-2019, 09:33 PM
I'd have to disagree. I thought he played a pretty poor game. 6-15 from the field and 3-9 from 3. He also turned the ball over 5 times. I think Cam played excellent defense on him but this is not what I would describe as a good offensive game by Kyle Guy.

He does shoot a beautiful ball and shoots well with pressure. He definitely struggled for most the first half but picked it up after that.

ChillinDuke
02-09-2019, 09:35 PM

The numbers weren't great. And you're a stats guy so I assume you have these right.

But it certainly felt like UVA made some shots that were quite fortunate in the face of great defense. Very much more so than Duke did. There were probably 2 threes, a couple long twos, and a circus layup by Jerome that felt like they should have been obvious misses that went down for them.

I still agree though, it wasn't our best defensive showing. But I thought it more than passed the eye test.

- Chillin

KandG
02-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Just an amazing all-around game from us.

I admit I was worried when UVA cut the lead to four at the half despite our otherworldly 3 point shooting to start the game. Even though Diakite's exit was unfortunate for the Hoos, I actually thought having Kihei Clark replace him to give UVA a small three guard lineup opened up their offense and put Duke in more dicey situations defensively. Really have to give the opponent credit for making 7 of 14 threes and finding other ways to carve up our defense starting with about five minutes left in the first half and continuing into a good portion of the second half. That is an outstanding team.

With that said, I loved how we responded once RJ cooled off and UVA cut into the lead. Our defense bent but didn't break, and despite them shutting down Zion for much of the second and keeping RJ out of the paint, we created good shots for ourselves and took advantage of any transition opportunities that presented themselves. Tre, Marques and especially Cam looked extremely poised against one of the most elite defenses in the country. Only the turnovers and the spotty FT shooting kept this from being a 15 or 20 point game.

A few games ago, mulling over our inconsistent patches against lesser opponents at home, I found myself hoping that Tre's shooting would improve, that Bolden could contribute a little more on both ends, and that Cam would be less reckless with the ball and more confident on offense. Tonight, I saw all that. If I'm being really greedy, the only thing left I could ask for is slightly more from the bench. But it's hard to complain after an effort like tonight on the road. Kudos to the team.

(P.S. Cam's deflections on defense continue to be an underappreciated highlight of his improving game. The announcers oohed and aahed over Tre's hit ahead pass to RJ for a dunk after a UVA miss, but they missed Cam stripping Brandon Key after his offensive rebound to set it all up. Seems like Cam is good for two or three of those deflections or steals a game at this point).

DukieInBrasil
02-09-2019, 09:40 PM
I'm super glad Duke found its shooting stroke from 3, that was an amazing performance!!! RJ and Cam were awesome!!! Zion seemed a bit out of sorts, even though he put together an incredible stat-line. Seemed like he was losing control of the ball a lot (even though he recovered several of them). Also, super bummer that Tre had that meaningless turnover near the end of the game under their basket, but otherwise he had a marvelous game!
I'm glad K listened to me in the in-game thread and stopped switching everything, particularly when Bolden was in. I'm also glad he figured out a way to address the same-side double team that UVA was employing.

ChillinDuke
02-09-2019, 09:42 PM
I also just want to point out that UVA isn't going anywhere. Huff looks like he's going to be fantastic - I very much see the Kaminsky comp someone around here made. And Kihei Clark looks like he could be a troublesome player (for us) in the future.

Heck, the only senior on the team is Salt?! They may have some NBA defections. But still. Bennett really has built a consistent contender. Very impressive.

- Chillin

lotusland
02-09-2019, 09:48 PM

I think Bennett has a better job now.

UrinalCake
02-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Going into the half it felt like we had wasted an opportunity to be up more after that insane shooting performance. The players looked frustrated too. I knew that the shooting would come back down to earth and worried about players getting tired, while our offense wasn’t generating much inside the paint. But man, our shooting stayed hot and we continued to play great D. We just dominated from wire to wire.

Zion didn’t have his best game but that block he had was out of this world. He was still in the paint when the UVA player received the ball, who thought he had a wide open shot. Zion closed out and then jumped high enough that his belly button was at the guy’s head. Go look up the replays on YouTube, it’s how I look playing on a nerf hoop with my 8 year-old LOL.

We won’t overtake TN based on how the rankings work, but I saw we were #1 in the bracket reveal, and that was BEFORE this game. So we’re in the driver’s seat for the overall 1 seed.

lotusland
02-09-2019, 09:52 PM

/DAD RANT OVER

The Hoos had a lot to do with the turnovers. Tough sledding in the lane tonight.

UrinalCake
02-09-2019, 09:54 PM
So th question is, how good a three point shooting team are we really? We’re not as good as we performed today, nor are we as bad as we shot against Syracuse. We’re somewhere in between. Are we “really” a 35% shooting team? 38%?

hustleplays
02-09-2019, 09:55 PM

You guys are so classy. This must have been a tough loss for you. I was prepared for a loss, given your team's prowess. We shot lights out, and both teams played tough. It is a privilege to see two superior college teams go at it, with great offenses and defenses, and with sportsmanship.

At around the 11 minute mark of the 2nd half, Kyle Guy was called for a foul against a driving Tre Jones. It wasn't a hard foul, but Kyle went over to Tre to help lift him up from the court. Just a small thing, perhaps, but indicative of your team's culture. I hope we win, but if we don't, I hope that you guys do.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-09-2019, 09:56 PM
In my dreams, Zion’s block tonight is how Tony Lang’s block attempt in the 1994 final turned out...

CDu
02-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Thanks, guys... I agree if there's contact, then it's a foul. But "close" guarding? "Overly crowding" a player? What about when there's a double-team on a ball handler... sometimes I can't even see the ball handler, especially when the defensive double-team is "leaning" over the ball handler. Isn't that "overly crowding" too? :confused: Or maybe that will be called this year.

It isn’t a foul unless there is contact. As soon as there is contact, it is a foul. And there was contact in this case.

kshepinthehouse
Great game by the Blue Devils! One thing that hasn’t been mentioned and went through my mind is how nice it is to have Zion at the end of a game. Now obviously he is incredible to have for the whole game, but his ability to convert easy baskets is killer for the other team, especially when trying to make a comeback. The offensive rebound put back and the assist from Reddish for the dunk were two huge plays in helping Duke keep their lead. He’s just so difficult to stop around the basket and is deadly on the offensive boards in those late game situations. He’s a closer!

uh_no
The numbers weren't great. And you're a stats guy so I assume you have these right.

But it certainly felt like UVA made some shots that were quite fortunate in the face of great defense. Very much more so than Duke did. There were probably 2 threes, a couple long twos, and a circus layup by Jerome that felt like they should have been obvious misses that went down for them.

I still agree though, it wasn't our best defensive showing. But I thought it more than passed the eye test.

- Chillin

couple thoughts on that.

1) the kind of defense duke put in today is not the kind of game-losing performance duke has put up in some of the tournament debacles.

USC: 114 adj
oregon: 102
mercer: 116

a 95 is not a BAD number, and is the kind that a good offense can beat, especially one that is hitting threes like no one has any business to (and we shouldn't count on that...but of course this is DBR, so we'll expect to shoot 60% every game now), and especially when not playing one of the best defensive programs in the past decade.

2) while they did hit some ridiculous shots, you'd expect a really good offense, especially a top 5 offense, to hit some of those ridiculous shots. That's why you adjust. Even adjusting for the fact that they might hit some ridisulous shots by subtracting 17, it's still not the kind of performance duke has put up recently.

3) Along with the ridiculous shots, there were some easy shots that you would expect to make (the missed dunk stands out...salt?). I don't know if it cancelled out 100%, but it goes both ways to some degree. Some of us have talked about wishing we had a way to adjust for how often a shot went in...it would adjust for that kind of thing and would give a more reliable number for the small sample size of a single game.

I think duke played some exceptionally good possessions...we got them in to 2? shot clock violations? A ton of TOs and blocks? But we also had some exceptionally poor possessions. The aforementioned two when they threw it over Tre trying to guard a guy in the post, Bolden trying to routinely guard guys on the perimeter (his footwork is FARRRR improved, but he's still a liability there), Bolden on a couple of miscommunicated doubles leaving his guy wide open on the weak side...

Personally, I think we're far better when we're switching 2-5 with an ICE for the high ball screen than switching 1-5...but nobody asked me, and we won anyway. Shrug.

ikiru36
02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
In my dreams, Zion’s block tonight is how Tony Lang’s block attempt in the 1994 final turned out...

Too soon!!! (But apt reference ;o)

roywhite
02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
The Hoos had a lot to do with the turnovers. Tough sledding in the lane tonight.

Yeah, Virginia made the choice to clog the lane rather than contest the 3's. A reasonable choice, but it ended up not working overall.

CameronDuke
02-09-2019, 10:00 PM
For anyone that follows Virginia basketball and NBA Draft rumblings - Hunter is likely gone after this year to the draft, correct? Probably 90%+ chance he declares for the draft?

How about Jerome? He's a junior but what are the chances he leaves early too? 50-50?

I think Guy returns next year but gets drafted in 2020. Next year's Virginia team is gonna be near the top of the league again, returning everyone but Salt, Hunter (likely), and maybe Jerome (but I think he'll return). Clark, Jerome, Guy, Diakite, Huff is a good starting 5 plus Key returns.

budwom
02-09-2019, 10:01 PM
quite the quote by Barrett: "we love to play on the road. We like to wear black because it's their funeral."

Entertaining game...Salt's free throw still has me chortling

dukelion
02-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Our defense was fantastic tonight. For all the talk about our great 3 pt shooting, the degree of difficulty of the made shots by the wahoos was very high. They had to hit a lot of tough shots to keep this close.

Was about to post something similar......great post.

Jerome and Guy made some tough buckets.....Hunter made some very long contested two's....and we forced quite a few TO's. Fantastic D on our part.

And yeah Bilas needs to keep his street cred by pushing the Duke gets all the calls narrative.

killerleft
02-09-2019, 10:04 PM

/DAD RANT OVER

That sounds like trolling, but maybe you just don't make adjustments to expectations depending on how good the opponent is or how well they might be playing. Since you have often sounded rational in other discussions, I'm going with the troll.

jhmoss1812
02-09-2019, 10:05 PM
You guys are so classy. This must have been a tough loss for you. I was prepared for a loss, given your team's prowess. We shot lights out, and both teams played tough. It is a privilege to see two superior college teams go at it, with great offenses and defenses, and with sportsmanship.

At around the 11 minute mark of the 2nd half, Kyle Guy was called for a foul against a driving Tre Jones. It wasn't a hard foul, but Kyle went over to Tre to help lift him up from the court. Just a small thing, perhaps, but indicative of your team's culture. I hope we win, but if we don't, I hope that you guys do.

If I'm being completely honest, regular season losses don't really hurt anymore. After the tourney loss last year, nothing even comes close in comparison. I appreciate the kind words and I echo the sentiment about good sportmanship by players on both sides. I think there's mutual respect there. I'm not sure UVA has always been a program that deserved Duke's respect so that is progress in my mind.

Still laughing at Jack Salt's second free throw attempt LOL

uh_no
02-09-2019, 10:09 PM
That sounds like trolling, but maybe you just don't make adjustments to expectations depending on how good the opponent is or how well they might be playing. Since you have often sounded rational in other discussions, I'm going with the troll.

c'mon man. We shot ungodly well from 3. We also had a couple of possessions that could have been better. We were relatively poor (for us) on defense. This game looks different if we shoot a more reasonable number from 3. I'm not saying we lose, but it's very different. Now, whether we can shoot 60% when we're that wide open, who knows...but it's not a troll post.

Ungodly shooting covers up a lot of things, and there are still a lot of things we could have improved about our performance. You shouldn't read that as I (or probably mr grumpy dad) am not happy with the performance, but there are always things that can be better...and doing one thing well enough to win big should not cloud your ability to see the other things that need some work.

That's why my signature is what it is.

fathippo
02-09-2019, 10:15 PM
If I'm being completely honest, regular season losses don't really hurt anymore. After the tourney loss last year, nothing even comes close in comparison. I appreciate the kind words and I echo the sentiment about good sportmanship by players on both sides. I think there's mutual respect there. I'm not sure UVA has always been a program that deserved Duke's respect so that is progress in my mind.

I did feel bad for Salt afterwards, but it still makes me laugh.

https://streamable.com/djlaz

ElliottHoo
02-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Grats on the win, was a great offensive performance. And it really was. I haven’t seen the whole thread, but in case it hasn’t come up, the 1.28 points/possession Duke scored was the highest UVA has allowed since, I believe, 2014.

ikiru36
02-09-2019, 10:20 PM
For anyone that follows Virginia basketball and NBA Draft rumblings - Hunter is likely gone after this year to the draft, correct? Probably 90%+ chance he declares for the draft?

How about Jerome? He's a junior but what are the chances he leaves early too? 50-50?

I think Guy returns next year but gets drafted in 2020. Next year's Virginia team is gonna be near the top of the league again, returning everyone but Salt, Hunter (likely), and maybe Jerome (but I think he'll return). Clark, Jerome, Guy, Diakite, Huff is a good starting 5 plus Key returns.

I agree, for the most part, but Hunter (assuming he goes) combined with Salt will be a huge defensive loss for them. If Jerome were to leave too, they'll still be quite good, but I think that Jerome and Hunter are both among the top few 2-way players in the Country and that is not easily replaced. No idea whether he'll go pro but I think Jerome is both special, and ready. Unfortunately, whomever we may bring in ourselves next year, we'll be losing 2-4 of the best 2-way players too so let's enjoy this particular ride as long as it may last! Go Devils!!!

InSpades
02-09-2019, 10:26 PM

/DAD RANT OVER

A 10 point road win against the #3 team in the country where we never trailed...

Mediocre? You have to judge based on the quality of the opponent.

Was it our best game of the year? Probably not. If you told me we'd shoot 62% from 3 then I would likely predict we'd win by more but... shooting is a part of the game. We shot really well.

UVA hit a lot of tough shots as well...

Also I'm not sure what you are talking about possessions. Both teams generally get the same # of possessions every game (give or take 1). They had more offensive rebounds but that's the same possession... not another possession.

CameronDuke
02-09-2019, 10:27 PM
I read somewhere the 81 points Duke scored on Virginia tonight were the most any team has scored at the John Paul Jones arena on a Tony Bennett coached team since he took over the program in the 2009-2010 season. Just a truly outstanding offensive performance tonight. If this team just starts consistently hitting 35-38ish percent from 3 and 70 percent from the line, (13-21 tonight), they're gonna flex on some teams down the stretch the next couple months.

devildeac
02-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Congrats to Duke - shoot over 60% from 3 every night, and you'll win almost every game by 20+! Just an amazingly unbelievable shooting performance from 3. Total difference in the game.

Classy stuff you two. Seriously. UVa shot 42% from 3-land and 47% overall and still lost by 10 while scoring 71:eek:. Pretty amazing. Now, get healthy and hungry and beat the cheats Monday night.

ChillinDuke
02-09-2019, 10:36 PM
couple thoughts on that.

1) the kind of defense duke put in today is not the kind of game-losing performance duke has put up in some of the tournament debacles.

USC: 114 adj
oregon: 102
mercer: 116

a 95 is not a BAD number, and is the kind that a good offense can beat, especially one that is hitting threes like no one has any business to (and we shouldn't count on that...but of course this is DBR, so we'll expect to shoot 60% every game now), and especially when not playing one of the best defensive programs in the past decade.

2) while they did hit some ridiculous shots, you'd expect a really good offense, especially a top 5 offense, to hit some of those ridiculous shots. That's why you adjust. Even adjusting for the fact that they might hit some ridisulous shots by subtracting 17, it's still not the kind of performance duke has put up recently.

3) Along with the ridiculous shots, there were some easy shots that you would expect to make (the missed dunk stands out...salt?). I don't know if it cancelled out 100%, but it goes both ways to some degree. Some of us have talked about wishing we had a way to adjust for how often a shot went in...it would adjust for that kind of thing and would give a more reliable number for the small sample size of a single game.

I think duke played some exceptionally good possessions...we got them in to 2? shot clock violations? A ton of TOs and blocks? But we also had some exceptionally poor possessions. The aforementioned two when they threw it over Tre trying to guard a guy in the post, Bolden trying to routinely guard guys on the perimeter (his footwork is FARRRR improved, but he's still a liability there), Bolden on a couple of miscommunicated doubles leaving his guy wide open on the weak side...

Personally, I think we're far better when we're switching 2-5 with an ICE for the high ball screen than switching 1-5...but nobody asked me, and we won anyway. Shrug.

Good points. Can't spork.

I tend to agree on the switching 2-5 instead of 1-5. But Marques really has improved his footwork a ton. I do agree he's still a liability out there, but it's closer to a wash than I think I realize.

- Chillin

InSpades
02-09-2019, 10:38 PM
The best thing about the last few games is that Cam looks like a different player. It's obvious that Tre and Zion are both beasts on the defensive end but Cam is not far behind those 2. He is very active, quick and his length really bothers people. He seems to have stopped the silly turnovers that plagued him earlier in the year and has a lot more confidence in his shot. If he's on from deep it brings another dimension to the team. His dish to Zion late in the game after Zion's big offensive rebound showed a lot of confidence. We could've just run the clock (maybe should've just run the clock) but when you can get a Zion dunk... I'd say that's a pretty high percentage chance.

Cam's line from today: 6 of 10 from the field, 5 of 8 from 3. 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 0 turnovers.

Just a super solid game from him.

Marques is looking much improved as well. We obviously don't need as much from him but anything we can get from him is a bonus.

Also interesting was the minutes breakdown... Jav and Marques split 35 minutes in the middle. So we went 5 minutes w/ the smaller lineup w/ Jack. Jack played another 8 minutes. Cam sat 4, Zion sat 4. That was it. RJ and Tre both went 40. Can't say I blame K... when you have studs you run w/ them. Only real worry there is foul trouble. Should probably get used to this for big games going forward.

Listen to Quants
02-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Well, it's not exactly a "should have gone against" Duke's opponent, but Bilas did object to the call against Bolden for being in Salt's cylinder :) Bilas said something like, "that called defense." I think he used to do even more leaning over backwards to avoid anyone seeing a pro-Duke bias than he does now.

NYBri
02-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Cam. Best game yet. 😎

camion
02-09-2019, 11:14 PM
I’m very happy with the game tonight. I’ll mark it down as one of our five where everything works. I agree with other posts above that we would have beaten most teams by 20 or 25. We were just that “On.” The only player I thought had a sub-par (for him) game was Zion and that’s only because he’s raised our expectations ridiculously high.

I was once again impressed by Virginia. They are a tough and talented team that clawed their way back into contention several times when lesser teams would have just let it go. Much respect goes to them.

Bottom line is a big win against a superior team on their home court. I’m smiling.

Wahoo2000
02-09-2019, 11:55 PM
I agree, for the most part, but Hunter (assuming he goes) combined with Salt will be a huge defensive loss for them. If Jerome were to leave too, they'll still be quite good, but I think that Jerome and Hunter are both among the top few 2-way players in the Country and that is not easily replaced. No idea whether he'll go pro but I think Jerome is both special, and ready. Unfortunately, whomever we may bring in ourselves next year, we'll be losing 2-4 of the best 2-way players too so let's enjoy this particular ride as long as it may last! Go Devils!!!

Even if both Hunter (projected mid-late lottery-ish) and Jerome (projected late first, early second) leave, I still think we'll be borderline top 10 next year. Key, Huff, and Diakite have all made pretty strong strides towards being consistent performers lately. Put those dudes with Clark and Guy and we'll win a bunch of games again.

I played this game for 4-5 years:
13-14 - We lose Harris and Mitchell? Won't be the same.
14-15 - We lose Anderson and Atkins? Won't be the same.
15-16 - We lose Brogdon, Gill, & Tobey? Won't be the same (and we weren't, but in fairness it took the combo of Austin Nichols being kicked off the team AND Wilkins coming down with a pretty bad illness than basically ended his season before we fell away from being top 10)
17-18 - We lose Hall & Wilkins? Won't be the same.

Somehow, barring major player departure/loss IN SEASON, we've been top 5, or at worst, a top 10ish team since 2014. Whoever comes, whoever goes, regardless of hype or star rankings, Bennett keeps cranking out elite results....................... in the regular season and conference tournament.

bluedev_92
02-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Was about to post something similar...great post.

Jerome and Guy made some tough buckets...Hunter made some very long contested two's...and we forced quite a few TO's. Fantastic D on our part.

And yeah Bilas needs to keep his street cred by pushing the Duke gets all the calls narrative.

I’m soo tired of Jay Bilas & his need to point out where he thinks the refs make a call that benefits Duke. I watched several games today & nobody goes back & shows replays of multiple individual fouls to make a point like Nilas does. It really takes away from the game & emphasizes something & helps to create controversy. I wish espn would take him off of Duke games (I know that won’t happen)

What a great win for the team today!!
GO DUKE!

uh_no
02-09-2019, 11:58 PM
I’m soo tired of Jay Bilas & his need to point out where he thinks the refs make a call that benefits Duke. I watched several games today & nobody goes back & shows replays of multiple individual fouls to make a point like Nilas does. It really takes away from the game & emphasizes something & helps to create controversy. I wish espn would take him off of Duke games (I know that won’t happen)

GO DUKE!

I love when the replay shows that he's completely wrong with what he claims to have seen, he'll do something like claim the rule is wrong and should be changed.

I think he thinks he's never been wrong in his life.

jhmoss1812
02-10-2019, 12:02 AM
Bennett's presser if interested

http://www.virginiasportstv.com/mensbasketball/2KNO

UVA players presser if interested

http://www.virginiasportstv.com/mensbasketball/2KPe

Kedsy
02-10-2019, 12:05 AM
ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 63.1 (believe it or not that's four possessions faster than Virginia's adjusted season average)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.28 (our adjusted oRtg was 1.46, which is simply astonishing)
eFG%: 72.2% (unfirgginbelievable; our best eFG% of the season, by a lot (2nd best was 65.4%, against Stetson))
3pt%: 61.9% (who says we can't shoot the three?)
2pt%: 54.2% (not our best, but not bad, and when you're a three-point shooting team like Duke, you can definitely live with this number ;) )
%threes: 46.7% (way too high, but when you got it, flaunt it)
FT rate: 51.1% (huge, but also inflated by UVa fouling at the end of the game)
OR%: 36.4% (good, not great)
TO%: 23.8% (this is horrendous, but it's really the only thing we did poorly on offense)
a/to: 1.2:1
%assisted: 69.2% (our highest assist% of the season, which is crazy since the first UVa game was by far our lowest assist% of the season (23.1%); I guess having Tre made a difference, huh?)
fast break pts: 17 (21.0% of our points; coming into this game, we'd had 4 games under 11% out of our last 5, and hadn't been over 20% since, you guessed it, the last Virginia game)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.12 (adjusted that's 0.95, not great but it's still below 1 point per possession; considering the outcome, we'll take it)
eFG%: 55.0% (poor)
3pt%: 41.7% (not good)
2pt%: 50.0% (also not good)
%threes: 40.0%
FT rate: 11.7% (really good; 5th straight game under 20% for a top 15 team in this stat)
DR%: 54.8% (very poor)
TO%: 22.2% (amazing, against the team with the 5th lowest turnover rate in the country)
a/to: 1.07:1 (broke a 16 game streak of forcing our opponents to have equal or more turnovers than assists; though UVa only had one more assist than turnover, so not so bad)
%assisted: 53.6%
fast break pts: 0 (0.0% of their points; impossible to get any better than this in this stat)
block%: 8.3%; 13.9% of 2-point shots (another solid performance for the #1 block% team in the nation)
steal%: 19.0% (huge game for the #1 steal% team in the nation)

It's impossible to overstate how amazing our offense was against Virginia this evening. Defense was a mixed bag, possibly more bad than good, but it was enough for a double-digit win over the #3 team in the country in their house, so it would be churlish to complain.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-10-2019, 12:20 AM

GO DUKE!

Disconnected the center channel speaker for this game. Only game sounds for the entire 40 minutes is bliss.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-10-2019, 12:29 AM
RJ's post-game interview on the court was great. "We love road games. That's why we wear black, cause it's their funeral."

I love these guys -- they're killers.

Savage quote

weezie
02-10-2019, 12:47 AM
...I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseam...but Mr Bilas continues his streak of finding some calls that “should have gone against Duke” and never ones on the opponent for us.

After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.

uh_no
02-10-2019, 12:52 AM
After the game I managed to get down into the tunnels under jpj to pop out near the bus. Bilas walked by intent on his phone and I just managed a "Hey Jay, go get 'em" innocuous hello. He blew me off and that's the second time this season. He did it in Toronto, too.,

You've been warned Jay. Not nice to ignore someone in Duke blue who's only saying hello.

That seems in line with any interaction I've seen of plebians with him.

gofurman
02-10-2019, 12:53 AM
Aoc ok? Saw he didn’t get minutes?

uh_no
02-10-2019, 12:55 AM
Aoc ok? Saw he didn’t get minutes?

given we were having no trouble hitting threes, and were having some issues on defense, i'm not sure AoC was the right answer today. Jack and Javin are much more capable defensive subs off the bench.

BandAlum83
02-10-2019, 01:00 AM
I watched the replay and definitely did not look like an intentional kick by Zion. Bad call. However, the ball actually ended up going off Zion's hand last anyway so its a wash

I thought he was saying it was out of bounds off of Zions leg.

uh_no
02-10-2019, 01:05 AM
I thought he was saying it was out of bounds off of Zions leg.

that was exactly it. people i was watching with were confused too, but on replay, it's clearly OOB off his foot.

84Duke
02-10-2019, 01:14 AM
I love when the replay shows that he's completely wrong with what he claims to have seen, he'll do something like claim the rule is wrong and should be changed.

I don’t know. He was pretty self-deprecating about Ralph Sampson dunking all over him. What no one did mention was that Ralph called the Duke big men dirty players after a 43-point Virginia win in the 1983 ACC Tournament.

gep
02-10-2019, 01:19 AM
It isn’t a foul unless there is contact. As soon as there is contact, it is a foul. And there was contact in this case.

CDu... thanks again. Enjoy your posts. I didn’t know that there was contact and was a foul. All I heard was Bilas saying Bolden was “in the cylinder”. My confusion...

uh_no
02-10-2019, 01:21 AM
I don’t know. He was pretty self-deprecating about Ralph Sampson dunking all over him. What no one did mention was that Ralph called the Duke big men dirty players after a 43-point Virginia win in the 1983 ACC Tournament.

maybe the only thing he thinks he might have been wrong about was playing basketball...delaying the dissemination of his knowledge to the world by several years. (I don't care for bilas much, in case that wasn't clear....he lost my last shred of respect for him after the Grayson incidents)

weezie
02-10-2019, 01:22 AM
Officially tired of Ralph Sampson. Stick a fork in him already, he's boring. Brogdon was a much purer player and better person.

Calling it.

BandAlum83
02-10-2019, 01:27 AM

What was up with that? It's like he just totally gave up like it thought it was a pointless exercise.

84Duke
02-10-2019, 01:34 AM
maybe the only thing he thinks he might have been wrong about was playing basketball...delaying the dissemination of his knowledge to the world by several years. (I don't care for bilas much, in case that wasn't clear...he lost my last shred of respect for him after the Grayson incidents)

No problem. I knew Jay back in the day, so I chuckle when his ‘80s personality peeks out. He can be holier than thou sometimes, but I think he is trying to call the game as he sees it. Example: Zion. I think he has noted in the past that Zion is sometimes called for fouls because people just bounce off of him - and sometimes doesn’t get calls because refs figure he can withstand the contact. Bilas thought Zion got away with one when Clark went flying trying to take a charge. That was probably a charge. But it was good to see Zion get the benefit of a contact call - as it doesn’t happen enough.

I never step away from a Duke TV win or loss mad about what Jay Bilas said. So that’s a huge step up from Billy Packer or Len Elmore.

ikiru36
02-10-2019, 07:13 AM
Even if both Hunter (projected mid-late lottery-ish) and Jerome (projected late first, early second) leave, I still think we'll be borderline top 10 next year. Key, Huff, and Diakite have all made pretty strong strides towards being consistent performers lately. Put those dudes with Clark and Guy and we'll win a bunch of games again.

15-16 - We lose Brogdon, Gill, & Tobey? Won't be the same (and we weren't, but in fairness it took the combo of Austin Nichols being kicked off the team AND Wilkins coming down with a pretty bad illness than basically ended his season before we fell away from being top 10)

Somehow, barring major player departure/loss IN SEASON, we've been top 5, or at worst, a top 10ish team since 2014. Whoever comes, whoever goes, regardless of hype or star rankings, Bennett keeps cranking out elite results............ in the regular season and conference tournament.

I did write that they'd still be quite good and meant it because of Guy, Huff, and mostly Bennett. OTOH, and hate to go there, most seem to forget that the main reason UVA lost in tourney last year, in a most un-UVA line way, was that Hunter was out. That kid is remarkable, and will be a huge loss. And the more I see Jerome I almost feel the same way. Of course they could keep both and be a dominant #1 going into the season and likely still have Jerome and be potential top-5 again. Anyways, lots left to play this year and I hope y'all win the rest (especially this Monday!) except against us 2 more times. And agreed that this Bennett fellow is a keeper, as the constant that seems to stir that drink year after year.

DUKIE V(A)
02-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Outstanding game by Duke! UVA is a tremendous dance partner. So fun to watch Duke and UVA go at it. I won’t be surprised to see a third and perhaps even a fourth Duke/UVA meeting this year.

A few thoughts:

1. How good is Tre Jones? WOW! He is incredibly special. Hoping for a Duke Blue Planet highlighting the Jones Brothers hitting big shots at John Paul Jones Arena.
2. This Duke team is amazing at turning great defense into soul crushing points off turnovers.
3. I am sure they don’t mind, but Coach K and his staff are not getting nearly enough credit for their work with this team. The cohesion and overall play on both ends of the floor has been remarkable for any team — let alone such a young team.
4. RJ and Zion are transcendent players but in any other year Cam would be getting a lot more hype and credit for being a huge difference making player. I don’t watch the NBA much, but it would be fun to see these three link up again after free agency.
5. Our role players are tough-minded and getting better.
6. I am a big fan of the UVA Program. With or without Hunter and/or Jerome next year, they are going to be right back at the top of the ACC Standings. Kudos to Coach Bennett, his staff, and their players. They do it right.

Devilwin
02-10-2019, 07:28 AM

Lots of folks here have been hating on Vitale..Well, you wanted Bilas, you got him. Great win against a great team on the road. Virginia can beat UNC, after all, they nearly lost to Miami at their place today..

NYBri
02-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Game was so good, I’m Going to rewatch it this afternoon. Not a single minute lacked intensity from both teams. Great college basketball game.

😎

Saratoga2
02-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Just an amazing all-around game from us.

I admit I was worried when UVA cut the lead to four at the half despite our otherworldly 3 point shooting to start the game. Even though Diakite's exit was unfortunate for the Hoos, I actually thought having Kihei Clark replace him to give UVA a small three guard lineup opened up their offense and put Duke in more dicey situations defensively. Really have to give the opponent credit for making 7 of 14 threes and finding other ways to carve up our defense starting with about five minutes left in the first half and continuing into a good portion of the second half. That is an outstanding team.

With that said, I loved how we responded once RJ cooled off and UVA cut into the lead. Our defense bent but didn't break, and despite them shutting down Zion for much of the second and keeping RJ out of the paint, we created good shots for ourselves and took advantage of any transition opportunities that presented themselves. Tre, Marques and especially Cam looked extremely poised against one of the most elite defenses in the country. Only the turnovers and the spotty FT shooting kept this from being a 15 or 20 point game.

A few games ago, mulling over our inconsistent patches against lesser opponents at home, I found myself hoping that Tre's shooting would improve, that Bolden could contribute a little more on both ends, and that Cam would be less reckless with the ball and more confident on offense. Tonight, I saw all that. If I'm being really greedy, the only thing left I could ask for is slightly more from the bench. But it's hard to complain after an effort like tonight on the road. Kudos to the team.

(P.S. Cam's deflections on defense continue to be an underappreciated highlight of his improving game. The announcers oohed and aahed over Tre's hit ahead pass to RJ for a dunk after a UVA miss, but they missed Cam stripping Brandon Key after his offensive rebound to set it all up. Seems like Cam is good for two or three of those deflections or steals a game at this point).

One stat I haven't seen mentioned directly is that Cam had zero turnovers in this game. He didn't have any of his looseness with the ball that we have seen in the past. Good going!

lotusland
02-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Guy also walked toward Zion on the floor once with his hand extended as if to help him up. Z was surrounded by teammates before Guy could help but I couldn’t help but wonder how that would have gone. Sort of like trying to see-saw with my kids when they were young, the weight disparity just doesn’t work.

MB in MD
02-10-2019, 08:01 AM
...The only player I thought had a sub-par (for him) game was Zion and that’s only because he’s raised our expectations ridiculously high. .

When some people say that Zion isn't quite ready to take over the NBA, this is the kind of game that they will point to. In the game he did, Hubie was somewhat less gushing about Zion than a lot of people because he knows the NBA game so well, and Rondo even said something about Zion still having to develop. I think that's what we saw against UVa: A whole lot less highlight reel offense when quality physical defenders put their minds to stopping him. On the other hand a defense designed to stop him gives up something else and just as we (fortunately) were able to, NBA offenses (even the Knicks) will exploit that. Zion will have to be reckoned with even when he isn't on Sports Center. And even in "subpar" games he'll still be on Sports Center; nothing about the NBA game would keep him from making that block (it will forever be "THE BLOCK"). I think he'll be just fine.

And speaking of the Knicks. Does anyone doubt that there will be another Patrick Ewing lottery fix this year?

Saratoga2
02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

GO DUKE!

I know he sometimes seems to overcompensate, but the commentary was so much better than when Vitale is involved that I could actually keep from muting the telecast.

MChambers
02-10-2019, 08:06 AM

No need to get all mean about this.

AtlDuke72
02-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Lots of folks here have been hating on Vitale..Well, you wanted Bilas, you got him. Great win against a great team on the road. Virginia can beat UNC, after all, they nearly lost to Miami at their place today..

I would take Bilas every time rather than Vitale.

devildeac
02-10-2019, 08:12 AM

We need a replay of that to show him how wrong he is. Again.

devildeac
02-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Here's to never forgetting.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 08:17 AM
I know he sometimes seems to overcompensate, but the commentary was so much better than when Vitale is involved that I could actually keep from muting the telecast.

In a nation of 350 million people, it shouldn't be just Bilas or Vitale.

Tripping William
02-10-2019, 08:21 AM

And that why there’s Bill Walton and Dan Dakich ..... :rolleyes:

CDu
02-10-2019, 08:23 AM
When some people say that Zion isn't quite ready to take over the NBA, this is the kind of game that they will point to. In the game he did, Hubie was somewhat less gushing about Zion than a lot of people because he knows the NBA game so well, and Rondo even said something about Zion still having to develop. I think that's what we saw against UVa: A whole lot less highlight reel offense when quality physical defenders put their minds to stopping him. On the other hand a defense designed to stop him gives up something else and just as we (fortunately) were able to, NBA offenses (even the Knicks) will exploit that. Zion will have to be reckoned with even when he isn't on Sports Center. And even in "subpar" games he'll still be on Sports Center; nothing about the NBA game would keep him from making that block (it will forever be "THE BLOCK"). I think he'll be just fine.

And speaking of the Knicks. Does anyone doubt that there will be another Patrick Ewing lottery fix this year?

Zion scored 18 points on just 8 FGA. He had 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. Against the second-best team in college b-ball. That is a pretty obscene stat line. Little about that game suggests Zion isn’t ready for success in the NBA.

Bluedog
02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
And that why there’s Bill Walton and Dan Dakich ... :rolleyes:

I actually like Dakich when he did our ND (?) game a couple years back. Walton is insufferable for those who actually care about the game I'd imagine (except for UCLA fans given his clear on air bias), but can be oddly entertaining for those who don't really care as we continually question "what the heck is he saying???" Honestly, I personally think CBS made a good decision with the threesome of Grant, Nantz, and Rafferty. They just call the game and don't bother me as commentators at all. Why can't others do that?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 08:33 AM
The shots that the Wahoos made were contested and very difficult shots...as has been pointed out, if they don’t hit a high % of low % shots, its a 20 pt win.

If you think this wasn’t a great defensive effort..your standards are much higher than mine.

I agree with this.....Virginia beat a lot of very good defense by draining incredibly difficult shots. That offset a little bit of Duke's extremely hot three point shooting, most of which was done while wide open due to UVa's strategy.

MChambers
02-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Loved Zion’s explanation of the block: “Coach said no 3s," Williamson explained. "And I was trying to get out there and make him drive, but he shot it so I blocked it."

That simple, huh?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25961323/why-duke-season-seem-incomplete-short-title

lotusland
02-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Zion has 3 blocks and they all 3 were huge. The block against Salt was also spectacular because he reacted to the ball and elevated so quickly. They replayed that block during the game and it was amazing.

https://youtu.be/DJGNvEmJ-e0

fuse
02-10-2019, 08:48 AM

I keep volunteering to call Duke games, rather unsuccessfully. Not one call from ESPN or a major network. 🤪

devildeac or mattman might tell you its because I have a face for radio. 🤣

gocanes0506
02-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Zion has 3 blocks and they all 3 were huge. The block against Salt was also spectacular because he reacted to the ball and elevated so quickly. They replayed that block during the game and it was amazing.

https://youtu.be/DJGNvEmJ-e0

Even one he didn’t get had a big impact on the game. Guy was driving down the lane late in the game and was going for a layup. Here comes Zion with his momentum going upward. I could almost see the “oh crap” face on Guy. Guy wanted to pass out of the layup but there wasn’t anyone near by. With the ball stuck to his hip, Guy fired off a pass to noone. Eventually it rolled to JD or Bolden. Zion forced a turnover because Guy had a thought of a block coming.

Saratoga2
02-10-2019, 08:58 AM
In the pregame, I tried to estimate how Duke would score enough points last night to beat UVA assuming we held them to 70 points. Well, we did hold them to 71 but never in my wildest imagination did I suspect that we would have such a night from three point land.

I expected RJ and Zion to combine for more than 40 based on 65 minutes played. They actually had 44 efficient points and played 76 total minutes.

I expected Cam to deliver 15 points from 35+ minutes and he delivered 17 points in 36 minutes

I expected Tre also to chip in offensively with 8 points in 35+ minutes and he really did yoeman's serive with 13 points in 40 minutes

I expected Bolden to give us 5 points in 30 minutes and he did give us 5 points but in 24 minutes

I expected Javin and Jack to give us 2 points betweeen them in unspecified minutes and they gave us 2 points in 24 minutes

I expected Alex to get into the game and get us well over 70 by giving us 4 points.

My takeaways are that I should have known that coach K would shorten the rotation and play our top players unless they were in foul trouble or very tired. Between RJ, Tree, Cam and Zion, our top guys were only out of the game for 8 minutes total. Bolden was out for 16 minutes so Jack and Javin got the call with Jack being a better defender than AOC getting to fill in for both Cam and Zion. Tre's offensive contribution was even better than I expected with the point distribution not a lot different than it has been of late, just scored in a different way. Having him chip in like he did bodes well for the team going forward. Now we just need to avoid injuries.

bluedev_92
02-10-2019, 09:00 AM

You Nailed it.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
I am certainly hoping that Zion can do to some of Cam Johnson's threes what he did with Hunter's yesterday.......

Billy Dat
02-10-2019, 09:04 AM
As I read through the thread, I sense a general lack of WOW that I feel like we should be feeling after going in to the #1 KenPom team and waxing them by 10 on their home court. Maybe it's because this team's ceiling is so high, and maybe it's because we had an uncharacteristically great shooting night, maybe it's because UVA was not at full strength, maybe it's because our defense wasn't perfect, and maybe it's because this season is starting to feel like anything less than a title is a huge disappointment but, man, we need to cherish night like this and teams like this game by game. This isn't a reprimand, just a reminder, as much to myself, that this is some special stuff we are experiencing with this squad.

Myron Metcalf's reaction piece in ESPN really demonstrates how excited the team was after the game, and how the game kind of marks this team for the highest expectations:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25961323/why-duke-season-seem-incomplete-short-title

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
As I read through the thread, I sense a general lack of WOW that I feel like we should be feeling after going in to the #1 KenPom team and waxing them by 10 on their home court. Maybe it's because this team's ceiling is so high, and maybe it's because we had an uncharacteristically great shooting night, and maybe it's because this season is starting to feel like anything less than a title is a huge disappointment but, man, we need to cherish night like this and teams like this game by game. This isn't a reprimand, just a reminder, as much to myself, that this is some special stuff we are experiencing with this squad.

Myron Metcalf's reaction piece in ESPN really demonstrates how excited the team was after the game, and how the game kind of marks this team for the highest expectations:

Best part of that piece to me: that AOC was joking with his teammates, not sulking, after seeing zero court time.

roywhite
02-10-2019, 09:08 AM
I am certainly hoping that Zion can do to some of Cam Johnson's threes what he did with Hunter's yesterday....

Yeah, though the key defensive matchup IMO will be Tre on Coby White, who went for 33 points yesterday with 7-10 from three. Coby's length and quickness make him a difficult cover, but he hasn't seen a defender like Tre Jones.

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2019, 09:10 AM
As I read through the thread, I sense a general lack of WOW that I feel like we should be feeling after going in to the #1 KenPom team and waxing them by 10 on their home court. Maybe it's because this team's ceiling is so high, and maybe it's because we had an uncharacteristically great shooting night, and maybe it's because this season is starting to feel like anything less than a title is a huge disappointment but, man, we need to cherish night like this and teams like this game by game. This isn't a reprimand, just a reminder, as much to myself, that this is some special stuff we are experiencing with this squad.

Haven’t read through the thread but I’ll take your word for it.

That was a helluva win. My favorite win of the season (better than Kentucky).

Freshman were great. Crowd was great. Ty and Guy were amazing. 3pt shooting was otherworldly. Zion’s dunks and blocks were silly amazing. I am so happy right now.

I can’t wait to face kerlina.

Bob Green
02-10-2019, 09:11 AM
That was an excellent basketball game that I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The best aspect to me is that Duke was in control for the full 40 minutes. Credit to UVa for fighting back and making a game out of it but Duke dominated from the opening tip to the final second.

WillJ
02-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Great win. If we shoot well, we're going to win:).

moonpie23
02-10-2019, 09:15 AM
That was a helluva win. My favorite win of the season (better than Kentucky).

whoooooooaaaaaaaa nellie....that beatdown of the hillbillies was like a 24oz ribeye knocked in the head and dragged across the grill......

Duke hit the cats so hard, they "hummed like a ten penny finishing nail hit with a greasy ball peen hammer"

fathippo
02-10-2019, 09:16 AM

The UVA defense collapsed on Zion when he caught the ball within 15 ft of the basket. He really did not have much room to operate and it lead to some TOs. Teams will not be able to do this in the NBA. I agree he still has to develop his game to get to where he is projected (e.g. a reliable mid and long range shot).

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2019, 09:17 AM
whoooooooaaaaaaaa nellie...that beatdown of the hillbillies was like a 24oz ribeye knocked in the head and dragged across the grill...

Duke hit the cats so hard, they "hummed like a ten penny finishing nail hit with a greasy ball peen hammer"

Virgins is a better team. We beat them on their court. They were nearly full strength (Ty probs isn’t 100%). And it was a pure team victory (okay, starting 5 victory).

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Great win. If we shoot well, we're going to win:).

WARNING: I got flamed with numbers when I said essentially the same thing earlier in the week.....

chadlee989
02-10-2019, 09:31 AM
I keep seeing people use the term “the block” and as great as it was “the block” refers to Shane Battier

flyingdutchdevil
02-10-2019, 09:34 AM
I keep seeing people use the term “the block” and as great as it was “the block” refers to Shane Battier

Shane had the more important block. Zion had the more spectacular looking block.

CDu
02-10-2019, 09:34 AM
As I read through the thread, I sense a general lack of WOW that I feel like we should be feeling after going in to the #1 KenPom team and waxing them by 10 on their home court. Maybe it's because this team's ceiling is so high, and maybe it's because we had an uncharacteristically great shooting night, maybe it's because UVA was not at full strength, maybe it's because our defense wasn't perfect, and maybe it's because this season is starting to feel like anything less than a title is a huge disappointment but, man, we need to cherish night like this and teams like this game by game. This isn't a reprimand, just a reminder, as much to myself, that this is some special stuff we are experiencing with this squad.

I think part of it is maybe a bit of sheepishness towards the way we shot from 3, which makes it feel a bit fluky. If we shoot our average, there is a good chance we lose. That's not to say I'm not ecstatic with the win. Just that I don't have quite the same feeling about this win as I did with the win in Cameron, where we were a juggernaut offensively in spite of not having our PG and shooting extremely poorly.

It's a big win of course, and I'm not interested in handing it back. Lord knows we've been on the wrong end of that type of game many times in the past, so I'm happy to be wearing the other shoe this time. But that's probably why I haven't been as googoo about the win as I was about the first one.

DukeDevil
02-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Agreed, "the block" was Battier rundown from behind on Forte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHmYGKa09x8

I'm gonna go with the DBR term on Zion's block...THREEJECTION.

*on a separate note...watching replays from the early 2000s, before HD as standard...depresses me. I remember watching them in real time just fine but I see them now and it feels like watchin a 1970s telecast. Makin me feel old.

budwom
02-10-2019, 09:44 AM
I think part of it is maybe a bit of sheepishness towards the way we shot from 3, which makes it feel a bit fluky. If we shoot our average, there is a good chance we lose. That's not to say I'm not ecstatic with the win. Just that I don't have quite the same feeling about this win as I did with the win in Cameron, where we were a juggernaut offensively in spite of not having our PG and shooting extremely poorly.

It's a big win of course, and I'm not interested in handing it back. Lord knows we've been on the wrong end of that type of game many times in the past, so I'm happy to be wearing the other shoe this time. But that's probably why I haven't been as googoo about the win as I was about the first one.

Yeah, I think Bennett will defend the same way if we play them again, counting on a less torrid shooting Duke team.
Post game, however, Scheyer made a comment which I find encouraging: he said Duke is a much better three point shooting team (or so he thinks) than we've shown thus far, he's not sure why that is.
The implication that they shoot a lot better in practice is nothing but good news...let's see if we can nudge that 3 pt shooting percentage up some...

CDu
02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Yeah, though the key defensive matchup IMO will be Tre on Coby White, who went for 33 points yesterday with 7-10 from three. Coby's length and quickness make him a difficult cover, but he hasn't seen a defender like Tre Jones.

I agree that that will be the key matchup. And I actually think we match up very well against UNC. We are more athletic at virtually every spot on the floor. UNC struggles with turnovers and gets their shot blocked a lot; we are great at forcing turnovers and blocking shots.

The one area of concern I have is that they are a great rebounding team on both ends. We are technically a better offensive rebounding team than them, but we are atrocious on the defensive glass. So that, combined with 3pt shooting, are the only areas where I would be nervous against the Heels. But given that they have very few ballhandlers and very few athletes and generally don't like to play defense, I think it's a pretty good matchup in general.

Could we lose? Absolutely. Torvik gives us a 50/50ish chance of winning both games (~85% chance of winning at home and ~60% chance of winning at UNC). That's probably a little low given the time missed by Jones and Reddish in the Syracuse game and the absence of Zion for half of the FSU game, but it illustrates the possibility. But the expectation I have is that we win each of those games. And if Jones holds his own against White, it could be a blowout.

WVDUKEFAN
02-10-2019, 09:56 AM
I can’t add much to what has already been said. I think this is our most impressive win of the season. Winning by 10 points on their floor is indescribable.

Ballboy1998
02-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Agreed, "the block" was Battier rundown from behind on Forte.

Given that my avatar here is a still of that block, it is obviously an all time favorite of mine. But THE BLOCK is from the 2001 national championship game.

CameronDuke
02-10-2019, 10:09 AM
If Virginia loses at UNC tomorrow night and Duke wins at Louisville Tuesday night, I feel like the ACC regular season title goes through Durham or Chapel Hill this year. Tobacco row, y'all.

Let's Go Duke!

timmy c
02-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I think Bennett will defend the same way if we play them again, counting on a less torrid shooting Duke team.
Post game, however, Scheyer made a comment which I find encouraging: he said Duke is a much better three point shooting team (or so he thinks) than we've shown thus far, he's not sure why that is.
The implication that they shoot a lot better in practice is nothing but good news...let's see if we can nudge that 3 pt shooting percentage up some...

Thanks for sharing the scheyer quote. Was that part of the ESPN coverage? Where did you see that?

Phredd3
02-10-2019, 10:11 AM
2pt%: 54.2% (not our best, but not bad, and when you're a three-point shooting team like Duke, you can definitely live with this number ;) )

Can't spork you for it, but kudos on this comment.

MChambers
02-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Thanks for sharing the scheyer quote. Was that part of the ESPN coverage? Where did you see that?

It was in the Norlander article, and Scheyer said it before the game. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dukes-destruction-of-virginia-elevates-the-blue-devils-to-a-new-level-that-no-other-college-basketball-team-can-match/

Phredd3
02-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Agree that it's a wash, but the ref got this call exactly correct, IMO. It was a kick. The ball hit Zion's leg inadvertently at first, but as the ball was trickling away, Zion fairly obviously made a second effort and toe-poked the ball in an unsuccessful effort to keep it in bounds. I didn't catch it from the initial full-court angle, but the reverse-angle look showed that the ref was spot-on with the kick call, at least in my view. Considering it had zero impact on the game, it was no big deal, but I actually remember being impressed with the ref for that call.

uh_no
02-10-2019, 10:17 AM

I don't think there was any reason to think that we're as bad as we shot lately, nor as good as we shot last night.

Now, what I did see was the quality of our threes was excellent last night...guys were set, open, getting the ball off kick outs LOVED the kick out to cam on the fast break at one point (something we haven't seen much from this team, but is generally a duke staple). Far better than the call-your-own-number, drifting to the side, closely guarded threes that we've seen.

That doesn't explain the entire difference, but I think if we continue to get and take the kind of quality looks we got last night, we'll continue to see moderately increased success over what we've seen for most of the season.

devildeac
02-10-2019, 10:19 AM
I keep volunteering to call Duke games, rather unsuccessfully. Not one call from ESPN or a major network. 🤪

devildeac or mattman might tell you its because I have a face for radio. 🤣

Must. Refrain. :p

I'll pour the beer.

And, to keep it on-topic, we didn't watch the game last PM but I did watch some highlights this AM and Zion's run-out/take-off/block on the 3 point shot was beyond amazing.

lotusland
02-10-2019, 10:33 AM
I don't think there was any reason to think that we're as bad as we shot lately, nor as good as we shot last night.

Now, what I did see was the quality of our threes was excellent last night...guys were set, open, getting the ball off kick outs LOVED the kick out to cam on the fast break at one point (something we haven't seen much from this team, but is generally a duke staple). Far better than the call-your-own-number, drifting to the side, closely guarded threes that we've seen.

That doesn't explain the entire difference, but I think if we continue to get and take the kind of quality looks we got last night, we'll continue to see moderately increased success over what we've seen for most of the season.

I know Cam’s banked 3 had to be luck but it really looked intentional and the angle he had is the best possible angle to shoot a bank shot imo.

Indoor66
02-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Must. Refrain.

I'll pour the beer.

And, to keep it on-topic, we didn't watch the game last PM but I did watch some highlights this AM and Zion's run-out/take-off/block on the 3 point shot was beyond amazing.

I knew it! You have been posting under a fake name, Bill Werber. ;):mad::p:cool:

weezie
02-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Now, what I did see was the quality of our threes was excellent last night...guys were set, open, getting the ball off kick outs...

Hhhmmm. I think the limitations of that shudder with distaste pack-line yawnnnn defense were laid open for the world to see. When Tony switched to that startling man to man the Duke horses really began to run.

So great to see the hoo bent over in exhaustion.

And PS, when Z slid on his belly after a late loose offensive rebound, LeBron leaned forward and watched Z for his entire recovery, not the end of the play. Bronnie looked like he was enjoying the actual game and not just as a grizzled pro.

And then again, maybe he was just visiting as a prospective parent?!!!

Utley
02-10-2019, 10:47 AM

I assumed/(hoped for his sake) he intentionally missed the second shot

robed deity
02-10-2019, 10:49 AM

I agree with this. Yes, Duke was on fire, but all were in rhythm as I remember, except maybe one by Barrett and an end of clock hoist by Reddish. If those are the kind of 3's Duke takes, that pctg will definitely come up.

Steven43
02-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Cam's overall game has really come a long way. Great defense and great scoring with minimal turnovers.
Second this. I thought last night was Cam’s best game as a collegian. He displayed confident, decisive athleticism on both ends. And that drive and dish to Zion was a thing of beauty. I am so happy to see Cam starting to realize his vast potential.

Utley
02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
I would expect Hunter to go. I was curious to the references to Jerome possibly going but none to Guy. I don’t watch UVA all that much but Jerome seems to me like a great college player but not a definitive pro. I see Guy as having better athleticism. It looks Guy is a couple inches shorter - is that the key difference?

If everyone comes back next year UVA is scary good.

Somehow, barring major player departure/loss IN SEASON, we've been top 5, or at worst, a top 10ish team since 2014. Whoever comes, whoever goes, regardless of hype or star rankings, Bennett keeps cranking out elite results............ in the regular season and conference tournament.

Billy Dat
02-10-2019, 10:57 AM

I hear you, I am just sensing a collective sense of the team needing to be perfect every game because we all feel the weight of the potential monumental disappointment if we have an imperfect night when it counts and we don't win the National Championship. I feel that way, too. But, who knows, if we shoot poorly last night, maybe we make some kind of adjustment and win anyway. These youngsters have so much confidence and ability that it's hard to discount them accomplishing anything within a game. I am the last guy to discourage critical analysis so I don't want this to come off that way, I just feel like beating UVA on the road by 10 deserved a few more, "That was incredible!!!" immediate post game posts...followed by Zion bellowing into the Cameron rafters, "Are you not Entertained?!?!?!?!" Nuff said, I know we all ultimately want the same thing every year...40-0 baby, iced out, no stylist!

TeacherTom
02-10-2019, 11:06 AM
It looked like Zion’s vertical height with the block at the basket exceeded 48 inches. Thinking being totally subjective, what are your thoughts?

CDu
02-10-2019, 11:14 AM
It looked like Zion’s vertical height with the block at the basket exceeded 48 inches. Thinking being totally subjective, what are your thoughts?

Goven that he probably doesn’t have a 48-inch vertical to begin with, and given that he was jumping as much forward as upward, I will say no. But it was still an absolutely ridiculous block, regardless of how high off the ground he actually was. The guy might not be human.

Utley
02-10-2019, 11:15 AM
A great call out by you Billy Dat. They played so good that I am little numb with it. While winning the title was always a looming reality for this team, it feels like the weight of all that changed meaningfully last night. There is still so much life and other randomness between here and there, but ours best is a really high bar that I am not sure anyone else can achieve.

Who has the second highest ceiling besides us? Is it UVA? I was and have been really impresed with the size and athleticism of Gonzaga. Haven’t seen much of Tennessee to compare.

Finally, the ride has been so much fun this year, I think I am going to treasure this season in a special way regardless of what happens during March.

I hear you, I am just sensing a collective sense of the team needing to be perfect every game because we all feel the weight of the potential monumental disappointment if we have an imperfect night when it counts and we don't win the National Championship. I feel that way, too. But, who knows, if we shoot poorly last night, maybe we make some kind of adjustment and win anyway. These youngsters have so much confidence and ability that it's hard to discount them accomplishing anything within a game. I am the last guy to discourage critical analysis so I don't want this to come off that way, I just feel like beating UVA on the road by 10 deserved a few more, "That was incredible!!!" immediate post game posts...followed by Zion bellowing into the Cameron rafters, "Are you not Entertained?!?!?!?!" Nuff said, I know we all ultimately want the same thing every year...40-0 baby, iced out, no stylist!

elvis14
02-10-2019, 11:17 AM
I read through this thread. Here's a few thoughts:

I'm elated with this win. What a great game. Fantastic win, away against the #3 team in the country, double digits, hit our 3's! [redacted] awesome!
We should be ranked #1 after this game (probably won't be but should be)
We played great defense last night against a team that plays very efficiently
If I have this right UVa starts at 5th year sr, a redshirt jr, a transfer jr, a redshirt sophomore and a jr. These guys have been playing together for years. Our guys have been playing together for months. The discrepancy doesn't show because of talent on the floor and talent on the bench.
That foul on Bolden, as discussed was technically a foul. Has anyone else seen that called in any game? The timely walking call against Tre? Etc. Thought our guys did a good job of not getting emotional over a little home cooking
Huge amount of credit to UVa. They never went away and did a great job in closing the gap over and over, especially at the end of the first half.
Love that when Zion has an "off" game that his stat line is still amazing
The thing that gives me hoe with this team is the defense. Defense win championships. (Doesn't hurt that we play amazing offense as well)

UrinalCake
02-10-2019, 11:21 AM

I think this game was the realization of K’s plan for the team all along, starting back in July when he laid out the team’s strategy and said that all five players need to be counted on to knock down open threes. Even while we’ve struggled with our shooting percentage, K has continued to let his team shoot the threes at a high volume because he knows that spacing is the key to the team reaching its potential. We’re not always going to shoot 60%, nor will we have five guys who each shoot 40%+, but we can put out a lineup in which all five guys need to be respected on the perimeter, and that is what will open everything up on the inside. All part of K’s end game.

I also find it really interesting how in our two biggest true road games (FSU and UVA) we are a combined 24-for-45 from three.

devilnfla
02-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Haven't done the research to prove my theory, but it seems like Duke shoots a better % from 3 on the road vs at home in Cameron. If that's true, it's odd as the Cameron rims have always seem to be shooter friendly.

CDu
02-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I would expect Hunter to go. I was curious to the references to Jerome possibly going but none to Guy. I don’t watch UVA all that much but Jerome seems to me like a great college player but not a definitive pro. I see Guy as having better athleticism. It looks Guy is a couple inches shorter - is that the key difference?

If everyone comes back next year UVA is scary good.

The height difference is key, especially with respect to position. Guy would be an undersized SG in the NBA, while Jerome has excellent size for PG in the NBA. Guy is clearly more athletic, but unless he shows more of a PG’s game, his ceiling is capped somewhat by his lack of size.

Duke76
02-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Don't know if anyone has responded yet but I would have to agree.....I was there...just ripped my heart out,,,,he was right there...another inch and we'd have 6 natties

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Don't know if anyone has responded yet but I would have to agree...I was there...just ripped my heart out,,,,he was right there...another inch and we'd have 6 natties

I know, PAINFUL...imagine the tee shirts and coffee mugs:

NCAA TITLES
91 DUKE
92 DUKE
93 FLUKE
94 DUKE

Much more fun to talk yesterday's game...

Listen to Quants
02-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Dezinformatsiya ... ?

Dub
02-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Fun game. Amazing how the narrative changes when RJ is making his 3. Also, whoever mentioned Cam wasn’t a 1st rounder, I hope you watched this game.

On to the game. I love how we clamped down every time UVA went on a mini-run. I see lots of critiques here but we just beat the #3 team in the country on their court by 10. Appreciate what you’re seeing here. This team is special (duh)!!

As I’ve said before, if we keep playing defense this way for the rest of the season, someone is going to have to shoot lights out to beat us (see Syracuse). We just put up 81 on UVA. Think about that for a minute. On to the next one...

ncexnyc
02-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Considering RJ's comments after the game I think this is appropriate.9040

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Dezinformatsiya ... ?

I wondered the same thing myself.....though they are 41% for the last 4 games....and that's without any from Jack.

Duke76
02-10-2019, 11:53 AM

except they don't generally double team a guy with regularity in the NBA and the court is bigger...he will be an all star in my opinion...to me he has good form on his outside shot and the more he feels the need to practice it the better he will be

Utley
02-10-2019, 11:54 AM
And no way Syracuse shoots like that with Cam and or Tre out there.
Fun game. Amazing how the narrative changes when RJ is making his 3. Also, whoever mentioned Cam wasn’t a 1st rounder, I hope you watched this game.

On to the game. I love how we clamped down every time UVA went on a mini-run. I see lots of critiques here but we just beat the #3 team in the country on their court by 10. Appreciate what you’re seeing here. This team is special (duh)!!

As I’ve said before, if we keep playing defense this way for the rest of the season, someone is going to have to shoot lights out to beat us (see Syracuse). We just put up 81 on UVA. Think about that for a minute. On to the next one...

uh_no
02-10-2019, 11:58 AM
except they don't generally double team a guy with regularity in the NBA and the court is bigger...he will be an all star in my opinion...to me he has good form on his outside shot and the more he feels the need to practice it the better he will be

i'm assuuuummming you mean that the spacing is wider, and not that the court is physically bigger.

CDu
02-10-2019, 12:11 PM
i'm assuuuummming you mean that the spacing is wider, and not that the court is physically bigger.

Yeah NBA courts are the same dimensions as college. They are both slightly bigger than FIBA courts and notably longer than high school courts. But the college and NBA courts are the same size.

Bob Green
02-10-2019, 12:12 PM

I had the same reaction. Lots of NCAA games are played on NBA courts.

AtlDuke72
02-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Wow ! Some people are never happy. The Devils beat a really, really good team that plays incredible defense and has 3 or 4 future NBA players not to mention a freshman center who looks like he will be all world before too long.

killerleft
02-10-2019, 12:15 PM
c'mon man. We shot ungodly well from 3. We also had a couple of possessions that could have been better. We were relatively poor (for us) on defense. This game looks different if we shoot a more reasonable number from 3. I'm not saying we lose, but it's very different. Now, whether we can shoot 60% when we're that wide open, who knows...but it's not a troll post.

Ungodly shooting covers up a lot of things, and there are still a lot of things we could have improved about our performance. You shouldn't read that as I (or probably mr grumpy dad) am not happy with the performance, but there are always things that can be better...and doing one thing well enough to win big should not cloud your ability to see the other things that need some work.

That's why my signature is what it is.

Point taken. I should not have made that post. I apologize to proelitedota.

I do disagree with putting too much stock in statistics. For instance, RJ may not have a gaudy shooting percentage, but he DOES have an uncanny knack for turning misses and "unwise" drives into points via putbacks and "fumbles". Yesterday's game did feature some great three-point shooting at the beginning of the game, but later on we answered every single run Virginia threw at us. Our defense was as good as theirs, maybe better.

What amazing play from everybody, but the freshmen are as unselfish and mature as any group I've seen at Duke. The commitment they've shown toward teamwork and their support for each other is special. I think the upperclassmen should take a bow for that as well.

AtlDuke72
02-10-2019, 12:21 PM

It should have been a charge on Salt ( totally ignored by Bilas). It turned out for the good since those free throws were pretty comical. Salt's "hard foul" on Zion should have been a flagrant foul since he ended up tackling him from behind with both arms wrapped around Zion which no one would call a basketball play. Having said that, Salt is a real difference maker for them with his defense and ability to set picks. The 94 Foot walk with Salt and Guy was entertaining. UVA has a like-able coach and players. I will like them even more if they handle the Heels this week.

uh_no
02-10-2019, 12:24 PM
It should have been a charge on Salt ( totally ignored by Bilas). It turned out for the good since those free throws were pretty comical. Salt's "hard foul" on Zion should have been a flagrant foul since he ended up tackling him from behind with both arms wrapped around Zion which no one would call a basketball play. Having said that, Salt is a real difference maker for them with his defense and ability to set picks. The 94 Foot walk with Salt and Guy was entertaining. UVA has a like-able coach and players. I will like them even more if they handle the Heels this week.

if only they didn't do it when i'm trying to watch the game....

The amount of game time which isn't shown on the screen is getting ridiculous....there were several plays that they were showing who-knows-what for the first 5 seconds and then "oh wow that's right a game is going on"

Really poorly directed production.

BandAlum83
02-10-2019, 12:36 PM

It looks like our 3FG% went from 30.8% to 32.0% as a result of last nights game. That’s pretty amazing after more than 20 games have been played.

Based on the rankings from Feb 8th that would take us from 316th to 289th place.

Kfanarmy
02-10-2019, 12:46 PM

SALT, THE MOVING SCREEN. coming to a court near you.

wavedukefan70s
02-10-2019, 12:53 PM
SALT, THE MOVING SCREEN. coming to a court near you.

True .the refs missed a few on both.they called it loose .when javin can play physical for 11 minutes whith 1 foul you know its loosely called.he tends to get called a lot.

budwom
02-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Dezinformatsiya ... ?

could be, but i'm choosing to hope that perhaps we can see a consistent improvement in our 3pt %...

bigperm13
02-10-2019, 01:27 PM
Greenberg before the game: Duke can't win the national championship shooting 3s the % they do.
Greenberg at halftime last night: Live by the sword, die by the sword.

His hypocrisy is off the charts. He gets paid a lot of money to talk college hoops. All he has to do is put on a suit, sit in makeup and say ignorant things on camera. I wish he'd go away.

As for the game, I'm still reveling in it all. This team is special in almost every way. One game at a time though so next play. And that's Tuesday in the Commonwealth. Let's get it.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Greenberg before the game: Duke can't win the national championship shooting 3s the % they do.

His hypocrisy is off the charts. He gets paid a lot of money to talk college hoops. All he has to do is put on a suit, sit in makeup and say ignorant things on camera. I wish he'd go away.

As for the game, I'm still reveling in it all. This team is special in almost every way. One game at a time though so next play. And that's Tuesday in the Commonwealth. Let's get it.

So let me get this straight Seth: Duke doesn't "have the sword" (3 point shooting) so they won't win the natty. Then when they pick up the sword (versus UVA) it's live by the sword die by the sword? What a maroon.......how can you be that self unaware? (And J Will, boldly picking Duke on Friday on PTI and then changing horses for Game Day. ESPN really does count on a certain stupid factor in at least some of their audience.)

budwom
02-10-2019, 01:29 PM

yeah, he thought we were toast because we shot so well in the first half and led by only four...

MartyClark
02-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Everyone upstream has good comments concerning the game.

This team seems to have fun. The guys like each other and enjoy the moment. No game seems too big for them.

I have had a lot of fun watching this team. I have liked all of our teams in recent years but this team is a joy to watch. I enjoyed our teams the last three years but was always concerned about GA ( I loved the guy) losing it and doing something dumb.

Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.

budwom
02-10-2019, 01:51 PM

This team seems to have fun. The guys like each other and enjoy the moment. No game seems too big for them.

I have had a lot of fun watching this team. I have liked all of our teams in recent years but this team is a joy to watch. I enjoyed our teams the last three years but was always concerned about GA ( I loved the guy) losing it and doing something dumb.

Only 8 more regular season games before the ACC tournament. Duke does have a tough schedule ahead. Not as tough as the Cheats however. The Cheats have to play Duke twice.

On to Louisville. I'm coming out from Denver to see the game. My Duke fan son is joining me. I have a great, old friend who lives in Denver but has great connections to the Louisville program. He is giving us two tickets, he'll be the game sitting in other seats.

I'm 1 and 1 at Louisville. Saw the 2015 Duke team win. Saw the 2016 Duke team lose.

Go Duke.

Do let me know if it's true that each seat in the Yum Center has a KFC dispenser...make sure to bring some napkins! Almost hard to imagine one company could own three nastier franchises (KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Mutt) but this is America where anything is possible.

bigperm13
02-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Taco Bell will be 5 star in the future. Haven't you seen Demolition Man?

Kfanarmy
02-10-2019, 02:00 PM
True .the refs missed a few on both.they called it loose .when javin can play physical for 11 minutes whith 1 foul you know its loosely called.he tends to get called a lot.

I watched half a dozen or so UVa games last year not involving Duke, because I like how well Bennet has them playing as a team. But I noticed in those games that Salt committed many many moving screens.

MrPoon
02-10-2019, 02:21 PM
I watched half a dozen or so UVa games last year not involving Duke, because I like how well Bennet has them playing as a team. But I noticed in those games that Salt committed many many moving screens.

I’m glad the refs weren’t really a factor here. If anything the calls in the open seemed to slightly favor Duke. For instance I thought Zion had an offensive foul in the second half but it was very close (I like play on calls if they are close, only stop play if you are sure). I say “in the open” because Zion regularly gets bodied up in a way that would be called were it not for his Thanos like size advantage.

It was discussed a little earlier but I still have questions about the “in the cylinder” call on Bolden. I remember when it was instituted. The first time I saw it called was at the Indiana game and the entire crowd was surprised, no one knew the gesture for it and laughed. If that the rule, fine. What I don’t understand is that call is never made in the paint, or even within the arc. Is this only an open floor call? Seems to me in the paint this call could be made all the time.

Thanks to anyone who knows, sorry if I’m the only who cares or doesn’t know.

Wahoo2000
02-10-2019, 02:30 PM
I’m glad the refs weren’t really a factor here. If anything the calls in the open seemed to slightly favor Duke. For instance I thought Zion had an offensive foul in the second half but it was very close (I like play on calls if they are close, only stop play if you are sure). I say “in the open” because Zion regularly gets bodied up in a way that would be called were it not for his Thanos like size advantage.

It was discussed a little earlier but I still have questions about the “in the cylinder” call on Bolden. I remember when it was instituted. The first time I saw it called was at the Indiana game and the entire crowd was surprised, no one knew the gesture for it and laughed. If that the rule, fine. What I don’t understand is that call is never made in the paint, or even within the arc. Is this only an open floor call? Seems to me in the paint this call could be made all the time.

Thanks to anyone who knows, sorry if I’m the only who cares or doesn’t know.

I think.... THINK, the rule is designed to stop defenders from leaning into a player with the ball to really apply additional pressure. It's usually (in my viewing experience) only called when the defender gains some kind of advantage, like forcing the offensive player to stumble/walk/commit a turnover. It's also been called a bunch of times when I've seen defensive players crowd the offensive player and then get elbowed when the offensive player makes any kind of "basketball move/play". It reminds me of the bodying on drives they almost always let go.... unless it forces the offensive player to step out of bounds. Kind of like, "well, I wouldn't call it a foul, except you don't deserve to get a turnover from riding a guy/leaning on a guy that much".

Billy Dat
02-10-2019, 03:24 PM

First off - have fun on Tuesday - that is awesome. Is the YUM Center as cool as everyone says?

Second, not to derail the thread (which, I guess, is the equivalent of saying to someone 'don't take this the wrong way' before criticism is leveled)..but has anyone been seeing the 'antics' of Wisconsin's Buzzcut Brad Davidson?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WisconsinBadgers/comments/ao5064/are_brads_antics_going_too_far/

https://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/watch-wisconsins-brad-davison-is-being-labeled-a-dirty-player-after-this-shady-move/

Interpret it as you will, but it aint leading SportsCenter.

wavedukefan70s
02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
I think... THINK, the rule is designed to stop defenders from leaning into a player with the ball to really apply additional pressure. It's usually (in my viewing experience) only called when the defender gains some kind of advantage, like forcing the offensive player to stumble/walk/commit a turnover. It's also been called a bunch of times when I've seen defensive players crowd the offensive player and then get elbowed when the offensive player makes any kind of "basketball move/play". It reminds me of the bodying on drives they almost always let go... unless it forces the offensive player to step out of bounds. Kind of like, "well, I wouldn't call it a foul, except you don't deserve to get a turnover from riding a guy/leaning on a guy that much".

While I dislike you guys style of ball.i dont have a seething hatred for Virginia. I actually hope yall do rather well it's good for the acc .just not a dukes expense.
I actually sorta see why the call on Bolden. Theres no way the guy could stand up Bolden didnt lean as much as he was over his leg .I'm not sure how that plays out .or its interpretation. Not that I agree with it but I see why it could be called. If it was unc umd uconn or Kentucky. I'd want salt drawn and quartered for the hard foul on zion .but that's probably overdoing it a bit .lol
I would hope for 5 overtimes against unc .good luck.

Bluedog
02-10-2019, 03:25 PM
I think... THINK, the rule is designed to stop defenders from leaning into a player with the ball to really apply additional pressure. It's usually (in my viewing experience) only called when the defender gains some kind of advantage, like forcing the offensive player to stumble/walk/commit a turnover. It's also been called a bunch of times when I've seen defensive players crowd the offensive player and then get elbowed when the offensive player makes any kind of "basketball move/play". It reminds me of the bodying on drives they almost always let go... unless it forces the offensive player to step out of bounds. Kind of like, "well, I wouldn't call it a foul, except you don't deserve to get a turnover from riding a guy/leaning on a guy that much".

That actually makes sense and is a good use of the rule. However, in the case yesterday no such thing occurred (potential TO or somebody getting inadvertently elbowed) so shouldn't have been called in my opinion. Obviously not a big deal but just an odd thing. I did hate it in the past when a player got penalized for accidentally hitting someone in the face simply because they had nowhere to go. So, if that's the origin of the new rule, it makes sense.

Lurkingdukedog
02-10-2019, 03:36 PM
That actually makes sense and is a good use of the rule. However, in the case yesterday no such thing occurred (potential TO or somebody getting inadvertently elbowed) so shouldn't have been called in my opinion. Obviously not a big deal but just an odd thing. I did hate it in the past when a player got penalized for accidentally hitting someone in the face simply because they had nowhere to go. So, if that's the origin of the new rule, it makes sense.

Hi there -- long time lurker, first time poster. Loved the game.

By the way, in the exchange where Javin and Jerome both got deadball techs, Javin got a nasty (inadvertent) right jab to the face. . . .

fathippo
02-10-2019, 03:59 PM
First off - have fun on Tuesday - that is awesome. Is the YUM Center as cool as everyone says?

Second, not to derail the thread (which, I guess, is the equivalent of saying to someone 'don't take this the wrong way' before criticism is leveled)..but has anyone been seeing the 'antics' of Wisconsin's Buzzcut Brad Davidson?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WisconsinBadgers/comments/ao5064/are_brads_antics_going_too_far/

https://saturdaytradition.com/wisconsin-football/watch-wisconsins-brad-davison-is-being-labeled-a-dirty-player-after-this-shady-move/

Interpret it as you will, but it aint leading SportsCenter.

There was also the trip from the bench by a West Virginia player.

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1092642484788711424

UrinalCake
02-10-2019, 04:00 PM

El_Diablo
02-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Bilas has blown me off in a similar manner as well (no phone though...he just completely ignored me). Meanwhile, Vitale has stopped and taken a picture with me under similar circumstances.

jipops
02-10-2019, 04:08 PM
In the BC in-game thread I lamented that this team simply cannot shoot. Then they do this at UVA.

So again, this team simply cannot shoot.

Duke76
02-10-2019, 04:13 PM

I'll cop a plea on that. I guess like you, Zion momentarily did "break my brain".

DarkstarWahoo
02-10-2019, 04:15 PM
A few thoughts on disparate topics:

- Hunter/Jerome: Both are almost certainly gone, and I think you can remove the “almost” in Hunter’s case.
- Zion: Transcendent athlete, fantastic player, likely a perennial All-Star, but not flawless. He could improve his outside shot and ballhandling, and his conditioning probably won’t hold up to 82 games and back-to-backs. He’s far from alone on that last point - probably even in the strong majority - but I did think he was winded in the second half yesterday.
- Sampson: I get why some of you guys don’t like him, but I think even the most ardent disliker can appreciate the recent announcement that he will press the button when they (finally) take down University Hall sometime soon. That was his joint.

sagegrouse
02-10-2019, 04:22 PM

- Hunter/Jerome: Both are almost certainly gone, and I think you can remove the “almost” in Hunter’s case.
- Zion: Transcendent athlete, fantastic player, likely a perennial All-Star, but not flawless. He could improve his outside shot and ballhandling, and his conditioning probably won’t hold up to 82 games and back-to-backs. He’s far from alone on that last point - probably even in the strong majority - but I did think he was winded in the second half yesterday.
- Sampson: I get why some of you guys don’t like him, but I think even the most ardent disliker can appreciate the recent announcement that he will press the button when they (finally) take down University Hall sometime soon. That was his joint.

A few posters may have opinions against Sampson, but I don't believe that is a consensus view here. I like him but am sorry his pro career got derailed by injuries.

budwom
02-10-2019, 04:26 PM

No NBA team is going to ask Zion to play 90% of his team's minutes as he did yesterday...K likes the small rotation, Zion has done fine in it...I'm sure everyone was winded well into the second half, Bilious even opined that UVA looked fatigued to him (and he's never wrong).
p.s. he made his signature block with four minutes left in the game, and it required him to run from essentially one sideline to another, so fatigue didn't seem to be a problem..

-jk
02-10-2019, 04:29 PM
A few posters may have opinions against Sampson, but I don't believe that is a consensus view here. I like him but am sorry his pro career got derailed by injuries.

He was an astonishingly fluid big, long before that was a thing for bigs! (Of course, “bigs” are a relic these days..)

I still remember his first game at Cameron, when folks were tossing frisbees back and forth (back when crazies had both sides) and one landed atop the PA system (back when there was a single PA system - sheesh, I’m old!). “Ralph will get it <clap. clap. clap, clap, clap>”. Alas, we got it, over and over again.

-jk

UVa1981
02-10-2019, 04:35 PM
First off, congratulations on a great game. Your kids played hard all game, never backed down when we made a run, and played with a lot of heart.

Some brief points:

-the chess match between Krzyzewski and Bennett continues. Bennett filled the gaps better on attempted drives to the rim (UVa actually had more points in the paint), but in his post-game he suggested he may have over-correcting causing the team to get to close-outs sufficiently well. I’m not convinced. I didn’t see any open 3s except for Williamson’t, though I’m not convinced the 3s were heavily contested. Bennett might want to correct a little more to the 3-point line if we play again, but only if Duke continues to show as a goo 3-point shooting team.

-what makes this Duke edition different from recent prior editions is intensity: the team plays hard, particularly on defense, much more like Duke editions from the 1990s.

-The differences from our first game: Duke obviously was blazing hot from the three; Jones made a difference in running the offense and playing on-ball defense; UVa’s turnovers; I think Duke has improved since that game; to a lesser extent, Huff is starting to get more reps and Diakite as playing better.

Some interesting stats:

Duke UVa
Turnovers 15 14
Points in the Paint 24 28
3-point % 61.9% 41.7%
Rebounds 26 28
Pts of FTs 5 16
Bench points 15 2

HereBeforeCoachK
02-10-2019, 04:39 PM
could be, but i'm choosing to hope that perhaps we can see a consistent improvement in our 3pt %...

I checked back, in the first two games, Duke was 43% on high volume from 3. I don't remember thinking that was any kind of fantasy island stuff then. I think they're better shooters than 30-32%.....I guess we'll see from here on.

budwom
02-10-2019, 04:41 PM
bench points reversed?

robed deity
02-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Good points. Zion will have more space I the NBA. Yes, yesterday he struggled with his handle, but the UVA defense had a lot to do with that.

And that was an important rest he got at about the 10 min mark. He plays with such energy and intensity- it's impossible not to get a little tired. Then, he came back in, and Superblock.

Neals384
02-10-2019, 04:58 PM
One stat I haven't seen mentioned directly is that Cam had zero turnovers in this game. He didn't have any of his looseness with the ball that we have seen in the past. Good going!

There was one possession where Cam brought the ball up the far side, seemed to lose control a bit, recovered with a behind the back wild dribble, and then stopped. Previously he would have tried to keep going to the hoop.

Wow ! Some people are never happy. The Devils beat a really, really good team that plays incredible defense and has 3 or 4 future NBA players not to mention a freshman center who looks like he will be all world before too long.

Huff? He's s Soph.

if only they didn't do it when i'm trying to watch the game...

The amount of game time which isn't shown on the screen is getting ridiculous...there were several plays that they were showing who-knows-what for the first 5 seconds and then "oh wow that's right a game is going on"

Really poorly directed production.

And, please ESPN, lose the split screen. I don't need to see LeBron emoting (or not) while the game action is shrunk to the size of a 1970s TV. Ditto fro interviews with Ralph, etc.

I think that his one foul came during warmups?

Go Duke.

You saw the 2015 team win at LVille, so if you see the 2019 team win at LVille, that means...

lotusland
02-10-2019, 05:16 PM
Don't know if anyone has responded yet but I would have to agree....I was there...just ripped my heart out,,,,he was right there...another inch and we'd have 6 natties

And Grant Hill would be the greatest Duke player of all time with 3 natties.

DukieInBrasil
02-10-2019, 05:17 PM

I noticed that too and thought back to the previous game when a player committed a hard foul on Reddish (?) and actually got the ball, in addition to a lot of Cam, and they still called a flagrant on him. I mean if part of the definition is that no attempt is made on the ball, and yet the ball is actually contacted, how can that be a flagrant? Salt on the other hand didn't get any ball, and didn't really even try, he just came down hard with both arms. I'm not even trying to say that Salt's foul should have been called a flagrant, but it fit the definition of flagrant foul much better than the play from the previous game that was actually called as one.

Go Duke.
As discussed elsewhere, the UVA game was the lowest % win likelihood of all the games in this stretch for Duke, so the likelihood of winning all the rest just went up a lot!!! That being said, there are still plenty of tough games coming up, particularly on Tuesday and later at UNCheaters. I would have added @VT to that list, but withe uncertainty surrounding 2 of their best players, that might not be as difficult as previously believed.