PDA

View Full Version : Jones, Giles-Harris, and Helm invited to NFL combine

jimsumner
02-07-2019, 06:51 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211789660&DB_OEM_ID=4200

HereBeforeCoachK
02-07-2019, 09:09 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211789660&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I like Joe G-H's prospects for the NFL...

Bob Green
02-08-2019, 04:55 AM
I'm glad to see Daniel Helm get the invite. It would be great to see him drafted and stick with a team.

Joe Giles-Harris being invited is a solid indication his rehab has seen satisfactory progression. Or, am I reading too much into this?

Daniel Jones needs to shine at the combine to cement his spot as a 1st Round pick.

Avvocato
02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Joe Giles-Harris being invited is a solid indication his rehab has seen satisfactory progression. Or, am I reading too much into this?

I hope you are right, but it could also mean they want to at least interview him and have doctors check him out.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Why not Ben Humphries? Does he have other plans, like med school?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Humphries is not rated as high as Giles Harris - I think Giles Harris is faster. Humphries is a stud, however, and it wouldn't shock me if he ends up in the NFL for a while.

Acymetric
02-08-2019, 08:39 AM
I'm glad to see Daniel Helm get the invite. It would be great to see him drafted and stick with a team.

Daniel Jones needs to shine at the combine to cement his spot as a 1st Round pick.

With regards to Giles-Harris, I thought he was close back for the bowl game. I would have been surprised if he weren't healthy enough to participate in the combine by now.

budwom
02-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Humhreys is evidently done with football...he put a lot of abuse on his body....terrific college player but I think not quite big enough for the NFL...(not sure he weighed as much as he was listed at...)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Humhreys is evidently done with football...he put a lot of abuse on his body...terrific college player but I think not quite big enough for the NFL...(not sure he weighed as much as he was listed at...)

Very few do. Excepting maybe Zion! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

ehdg
02-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Very few do. Excepting maybe Zion! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Hell I'd love to see Zion play some TE. Think what he could do for our Football team. :)

CameronBornAndBred
02-09-2019, 10:13 AM
Hell I'd love to see Zion play some TE. Think what he could do for our Football team. :)

RB on third and inches at the goal line. Watch him leap over both lines into the end zone.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-09-2019, 10:16 AM
RB on third and inches at the goal line. Watch him leap over both lines into the end zone.

That would be more dangerous....than a simple little alley oop from the TE position. Height, strength, great hands, leap tall buildings in a single bound...he'd be totally unstoppable as a TE.I think you would project him to be a bigger more athletic more explosive Antonio Gates.

TruBlu
02-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Just put him on the field. Other team forfeits.

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Combine starts today. Good luck to our guys!

Acymetric
02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Any news trickling out about our guys yet?

sagegrouse
02-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Any news trickling out about our guys yet?

I haven't heard anything -- here is the schedule. On-field work-outs are Fri., Sat., Sun, and Mon. -- depending on position. Makes sense that the QBs are teamed up with the receivers. "ST" is special teams, I guess -- is there anyone but kickers invited just for special teams play?

Groups 1 (PK, ST, OL), 2 (OL), and 3 (RB)

Tuesday, Feb. 26: Registration, hospital pre-exams, X-rays, overflow testing, orientation, interviews
Wednesday, Feb. 27: Measurements, medical examinations, overflow testing, interviews
Thursday, Feb. 28: Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media availability, bench press, interviews
Friday, March 1: On-field workouts (timing, stations, and drills) and departure from Indianapolis

Groups 4 (QB, WR), 5 (QB, WR), and 6 (TE)

Wednesday, Feb. 27: Registration, hospital pre-exams, X-rays, overflow testing, orientation, interviews
Thursday, Feb. 28:Measurements, medical examinations, overflow testing, interviews
Friday, March 1: Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media availability, bench press, interviews
Saturday, March 2: On-field workouts (timing, stations, and drills) and departure from Indianapolis

Groups 7 (DL), 8 (DL), and 9 (LB)

Thursday, Feb. 28: Registration, hospital pre-exams, X-rays, overflow testing, orientation, interviews
Friday, March 1: Measurements, medical examinations, overflow testing, interviews
Saturday, March 2: Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media availability, bench press, interviews
Sunday, March 3: On-field workouts (timing, stations, and drills) and departure from Indianapolis

Groups 10 (DB) and 11 (DB)

Friday, March 1: Registration, hospital pre-exams, X-rays, overflow testing, orientation, interviews
Saturday, March 2: Measurements, medical examinations, overflow testing, interviews
Sunday, March 3: Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media availability, bench press, interviews
Monday, March 4: On-field workouts (timing, stations, and drills) and departure from Indianapolis

CameronBornAndBred
02-28-2019, 12:08 PM
Jones has the most cinder blocks. In an article discussing Murray's short stature, the other QBs were brought up.

Other quarterbacks at the combine had more prototypical size. Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins measured 6-foot-3⅜ and 231 pounds. Missouri's Drew Lock was 6-foot-3Ύ, 228, and Duke's Daniel Jones was 6-foot-5⅛, 221 pounds.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26102751/qb-murray-measures-5-10-1-8-nfl-combine

sagegrouse
02-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Jones has the most cinder blocks. In an article discussing Murray's short stature, the other QBs were brought up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26102751/qb-murray-measures-5-10-1-8-nfl-combine

If Daniel Jones were a basketball player, he would be listed as 6-7.

To save a click, Kyler Murray came in at 5-10 1/8, one-half inch shorter than the Seahawks' Russell Wilson and two inches shorter than Drew Brees. (Due to the pounding in the NFL, it is possible both are even shorter now.)

budwom
02-28-2019, 01:26 PM

yup, at one point Josh Hairston made himself 6-9 (pre-Duke).

Acymetric
02-28-2019, 02:08 PM

To save a click, Kyler Murray came in at 5-10 1/8, one-half inch shorter than the Seahawks' Russell Wilson and two inches shorter than Drew Brees. (Due to the pounding in the NFL, it is possible both are even shorter now.)

A lot of people expected him to clock in at under 5-10, so this is actually a win for him.

He's too tall for QB...gonna have to convert to TE.

CameronBornAndBred
02-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Won't be hearing much in the way of action news until Saturday afternoon.

Quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends
Wednesday, Feb. 27: Registration, hospital pre-exam and X-rays, overflow testing, orientation, interviews with teams

Thursday, Feb. 28: Measurements, medical examinations, overflow testing, interviews with teams

Friday, March 1: Psychological testing, NFLPA meeting, media, bench press, interviews with teams

Saturday, March 2: On-field workouts (timing, stations, skill drills)

http://africa.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26085881/2019-nfl-combine-schedule-news-results-updates-indianapolis

75Crazie
03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Todd McShay on the Dan Patrick show today: "Daniel Jones is not what everyone seems to think he is … He's very average … inconsistent with his accuracy … he's tough as nails … has surprisingly good speed, but he's not very agile in the pocket …". He called him a third round pick.

Acymetric
03-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Todd McShay on the Dan Patrick show today: "Daniel Jones is not what everyone seems to think he is … He's very average … inconsistent with his accuracy … he's tough as nails … has surprisingly good speed, but he's not very agile in the pocket …". He called him a third round pick.

So, I was never totally sold on Jones as a legit first rounder (although of course I was excited for him that he was being evaluated as one), but I can't stand Todd McShay (or Mel Kiper) and assume everything he says is wrong. Having read this, I now believe Jones will be like if you combined Manning, Brady, and Rodgers into one. 10 Super Bowls is probably the floor.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-01-2019, 11:47 AM

This was my take as well.......on pretty much every point.

Bob Green
03-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Daniel Jones needs a lot of development but he has all the requisite tools, which is why I hope he goes to a team that does not expect him to start immediately. Jones will benefit greatly if placed in a back up role for two or three seasons. In addition to not being very agile in the pocket:

1. Jones holds on to the ball too long and gets sacked.
2. He locks onto his primary receiver and struggles to go through progressions.

My novice understanding of the quarterback position, developed over many years sitting in the stands and in front of the TV, tells me Jones is great at reading defenses pre-snap while average at adjusting to the defense post-snap.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with being a third round pick. Moreover, being "tough as nails" with "surprisingly good speed" are traits that will serve him well in the NFL. I believe Jones will be okay.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Finally, there is nothing wrong with being a third round pick.

This is true.......unless the decision to leave college was based on an assumption of a first round pick. But certainly a good NFL career can be had from either position.

JasonEvans
03-02-2019, 08:59 AM
This is true...unless the decision to leave college was based on an assumption of a first round pick. But certainly a good NFL career can be had from either position.

A first round pick, taken in the teens or 20s (which is about where I think Jones had hopes of going), would be looking at a guaranteed contract for four years at somewhere between $12 and $15 million. A third round pick is probably looking at about $4 mil over four years.

-Jason "a big difference in cash, but life changing money no matter how you shake it" Evans

dukelifer
03-02-2019, 09:25 AM
This is true....unless the decision to leave college was based on an assumption of a first round pick. But certainly a good NFL career can be had from either position.

Well he is graduating- so there is that. If he is going to get pounded to play football- he might as well get paid for it.

richmclean
03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Daniel Helm runs a 4.98 40 which surprisingly is not out of range with other TEs. Fastest was 4.5, a few 4.7s and a lot of 4.9s

budwom
03-02-2019, 11:14 AM
I hope the best for him, but have also been highly skeptical of all the first round lock talk....Jones is very good when at his best, but there are definitely weaknesses in his game...I guess we'll see who's willing to take a chance on him.
Just hope he ends up with a good organization.

Bob Green
03-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Daniel Helm runs a 4.98 40 which surprisingly is not out of range with other TEs. Fastest was 4.5, a few 4.7s and a lot of 4.9s

That was his second run. He clocked 4.90 the first time.

jv001
03-02-2019, 11:36 AM
I hope the best for him, but have also been highly skeptical of all the first round lock talk...Jones is very good when at his best, but there are definitely weaknesses in his game...I guess we'll see who's willing to take a chance on him.
Just hope he ends up with a good organization.

Well that rules out my Redskins. They used to be a good organization. Not so much under Daniel Snyder. GoDuke!

Bob Green
03-02-2019, 11:48 AM
I'm watching TE drills on the NFL Network and Daniel Helm looked good catching the ball on the wheel route.

BD711
03-02-2019, 11:54 AM
That was his second run. He clocked 4.90 the first time.

Looks like he pulled hammy at start of first run.

Bob Green
03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Daniel Jones 40 yard dash:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101897687920726019

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Well he is graduating- so there is that. If he is going to get pounded to play football- he might as well get paid for it.

Well that's true - but it certainly seems like the first round assumption was made as part of his decision making process...and now that's not nearly so certain. So the calculus is would he have improved his draft position with another year as starter under Cut....possible, but not definite of course. Consistency and pocket presence seem to be weaknesses, and those are weaknesses that coaching and game experience can potentially help.

I had stated, as others as well, that a first round probability made the decision to go an easy one....though I never saw first round ability there. I was, and am hoping to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

75Crazie
03-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Well that rules out my Redskins. They used to be a good organization. Not so much under Daniel Snyder. GoDuke!
Snyder has always struck me as being the Donald Sterling of the NFL … not so much for refusal to pay a going rate for players, but just from a competence level and the sleaze factor.

Acymetric
03-02-2019, 03:11 PM
DJ seems to be putting up pretty good measurables so far.

arnie
03-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Snyder has always struck me as being the Donald Sterling of the NFL … not so much for refusal to pay a going rate for players, but just from a competence level and the sleaze factor.

Snyder has ruined the skins. Too bad group a serious intelligent investors can’t buy him out.

sagegrouse
03-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Daniel Jones 40 yard dash:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1101897687920726019

Clocked a 4.82 (but he sure made those Carolina defenders look slow).

Acymetric
03-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Clocked a 4.82 (but he sure made those Carolina defenders look slow).

Just a little slower than I expected, he was never really a sprinter. I honestly (and I've said this before) don't think his running game is the type that will translate to the NFL. He's more Aaron Rodgers/Matt Ryan/Ben Rothlesberger than Russell Wilson.

nmduke2001
03-02-2019, 03:40 PM
I don’t think Jones falls out of the first round. I’d be surprised if he lasts past 15 with Washington. If he is still there, I think The raiders take him with one of their later first round picks. Gruden doesn’t seem to love Carr (though the GM just said Carr was a franchise QB). Gruden does seem to really like Jones.

Acymetric
03-02-2019, 04:26 PM
I know we're all busy with the Miami game, but anyone know what time Jones is scheduled to throw?

Acymetric
03-02-2019, 04:49 PM
I know we're all busy with the Miami game, but anyone know what time Jones is scheduled to throw?

Too late to edit, but he's already done I think. Here's the video of the workout. I'll save my thoughts for after the game.

https://youtu.be/MQ6evbiDc0I

Edit: Appears the NFL doesn't allow the video to be embedded (or at least it won't play the embedded version on my device.

Link: https://youtu.be/MQ6evbiDc0I

martydoesntfoul
03-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Seems Daniel had himself a good day!

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/03/nfl-combine-2019-what-we-learned-about-top-qbs-will-giants-regret-passing-on-this-rising-prospect.html

“One intriguing name — Duke’s Daniel Jones — emerged from Saturday, when he was the most consistent quarterback, on a so-so workout day for the position.”

Acymetric
03-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Seems Daniel had himself a good day!

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/03/nfl-combine-2019-what-we-learned-about-top-qbs-will-giants-regret-passing-on-this-rising-prospect.html

“One intriguing name — Duke’s Daniel Jones — emerged from Saturday, when he was the most consistent quarterback, on a so-so workout day for the position.”

That's really interesting, there appear to be very different takes from different sources. CBS has a less positive view:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-combine-results-d-k-metcalf-steals-the-show-drew-lock-and-noah-fant-shine-at-workouts/

Duke's Daniel Jones was the most uneven of the big names on Saturday, sailing several of his passes high or behind his receiver. He did look better late in his workout, especially throwing the deep ball on the corner route, but he certainly looked on a different tier than Haskins and Lock.

To be honest, this take matches what I saw a little better. He also had a pretty big under throw where the receiver had to slow way down to let the ball catch up. I don't think this necessarily hurts him, but I certainly don't think he improved​ his stock with his combine performance. My guess is that there are still several teams that liked him before and were going to like him regardless of his combine performance. Hopefully he stays in the first round, although it seems some of the other QBs are moving up the board.

sagegrouse
03-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Re Joe Giles-Harris:

His test results were semi-awesome -- 4.75 40 yard sprint; 17 bench presses; 29.5" vertical; 111" standing broad jump. Trouble is, many of the other linebackers were "awesome." Nevertheless, there are lots of linebackers in the NFL hall of fame who didn't excel at track and field.

Acymetric
03-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Re Joe Giles-Harris:

His test results were semi-awesome -- 4.75 40 yard sprint; 17 bench presses; 29.5" vertical; 111" standing broad jump. Trouble is, many of the other linebackers were "awesome." Nevertheless, there are lots of linebackers in the NFL hall of fame who didn't excel at track and field.

I think Giles-Harris was already viewed going in as a guy with slightly below average athleticism for a linebacker, but also a guy who is fundamentally sound and has a knack for being in the right spots. I would guess most teams see him primarily as a run-stopper, not necessarily as a 3 down guy. I think a good floor for him would be Vincent Rey (who has had a pretty good career), with a higher ceiling if he can show consistent ability to cover at the NFL level.

Avvocato
03-04-2019, 10:11 AM
That's really interesting, there appear to be very different takes from different sources. CBS has a less positive view:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-combine-results-d-k-metcalf-steals-the-show-drew-lock-and-noah-fant-shine-at-workouts/

To be honest, this take matches what I saw a little better. He also had a pretty big under throw where the receiver had to slow way down to let the ball catch up. I don't think this necessarily hurts him, but I certainly don't think he improved​ his stock with his combine performance. My guess is that there are still several teams that liked him before and were going to like him regardless of his combine performance. Hopefully he stays in the first round, although it seems some of the other QBs are moving up the board.

I think three things have slightly impacted Daniel Jone's potential draft position: (1) Kyler Murray entering the draft, (2) Drew Lock's stock seems to have risen in the offseason (he didn't have a great season on the field but he has a big arm and teams draft on potential), and (3) Jones has been inconsistent during workouts so far.

Teams always need quarterbacks. I do think he could slip to the top of the second round, but I would bet that even if people view him as a second rounder, someone will take him towards the end of the first. But what do I know. Just fun to talk about.

Reilly
03-04-2019, 01:00 PM
... Appears the NFL doesn't allow the video to be embedded ...

On Twitter over the weekend, I saw a photo of the 1967 draft -- Pete Rozelle was writing the names on a not very big chalkboard (Bubba Smith #1 overall; Steve Spurrier #3).

dukelifer
03-04-2019, 01:32 PM
I think three things have slightly impacted Daniel Jone's potential draft position: (1) Kyler Murray entering the draft, (2) Drew Lock's stock seems to have risen in the offseason (he didn't have a great season on the field but he has a big arm and teams draft on potential), and (3) Jones has been inconsistent during workouts so far.

Teams always need quarterbacks. I do think he could slip to the top of the second round, but I would bet that even if people view him as a second rounder, someone will take him towards the end of the first. But what do I know. Just fun to talk about.

Daniel Jones from a lightly recruited player to now being thought of as a first round pick- that is impressive no matter how you look at it. The QB position in the NFL is incredibly hard. He has toughness, good running ability and the smarts to make it - but there are no easy paths. He may not get first round money- but has a chance to play. I am sure if you asked Freshman Jones if that was to happen-he would not have believed it.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Daniel Jones from a lightly recruited player to now being thought of as a first round pick- that is impressive no matter how you look at it. The QB position in the NFL is incredibly hard. He has toughness, good running ability and the smarts to make it - but there are no easy paths. He may not get first round money- but has a chance to play. I am sure if you asked Freshman Jones if that was to happen-he would not have believed it.

I read an interesting article recently (I think on The Ringer) about how there is a bit of a glut of quarterbacks. There are 32 teams, most carry two or at most three quarterbacks. Many are very happy with their starter and often with their backup. If I recall, the article stated that there are a number of good but not great quarterbacks this year so not all of them will be absorbed. Unlike other sports where there are minor leagues or leagues in other countries, it is a big drop from the NFL to other alternatives (Canada, the new leagues that are forming, Arena if that even still exists) and there aren't many of these.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2019, 02:09 PM

All true, but not really the issue.

jimsumner
03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
. I am sure if you asked Freshman Jones if that was to happen-he would not have believed it.

Actually, I think he would have believed it. Jones does not lack confidence and has used his low-recruiting-profile as a motivator. There were strong rumors within the program very early on that he was going to be something special. I confess that I was a bit skeptical. But I was mistaken.

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2019, 03:12 PM
To those pondering his first round chances, and wondering if he made a mistake by leaving...his first round chances next year would be nil to none.
He smartly took advantage of an overall weak QB class, knowing next season is going to be stacked. He indeed might not be a first rounder this year, but at least he has a shot at it.

budwom
03-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Actually, I think he would have believed it. Jones does not lack confidence and has used his low-recruiting-profile as a motivator. There were strong rumors within the program very early on that he was going to be something special. I confess that I was a bit skeptical. But I was mistaken.

I was in the same mistaken boat re Jones. Now I am hopeful but skeptical about his first round prospects...I would love to be mistaken for a second time.

Acymetric
03-04-2019, 04:07 PM
I have this weird feeling that the Giants really like him. I can't imagine they take him at #6, but I could see them trading down from there or trading up from #37 (their second pick) to get him. No inside info or sources, just this feeling I've gotten as I read things and see things posted that the Giants are interested.

nmduke2001
03-04-2019, 05:25 PM
I was wondering about TJ. Came across this article about players that helped themselves in the Bowl season. Seems like some think he might go late in the draft. I do think he could be a good slot receiver in the league.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/04/bowl-season-draft-prospect-stocks

MChambers
03-04-2019, 05:28 PM

That's unfair to Mr. Sterling.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2019, 05:51 PM
I was wondering about TJ. Came across this article about players that helped themselves in the Bowl season. Seems like some think he might go late in the draft. I do think he could be a good slot receiver in the league.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/04/bowl-season-draft-prospect-stocks

I'm not there on TJ.......Jamison Crowder is a good slot receiver in the league, and I thought he was much more dynamic than TJ. Would love to be wrong...

Acymetric
03-05-2019, 11:51 AM
I'm not there on TJ...Jamison Crowder is a good slot receiver in the league, and I thought he was much more dynamic than TJ. Would love to be wrong...

I think TJ will at least be on a practice squad this year. I think he could stick as a reserve WR for a while, but am not convinced he is starting caliber.

Looking at mock drafts post-combine, they have DJ all over the place. I've seen him projected at #13 to Miami, #28 to the Chargers (which would actually be a great spot for him to back up Rivers for a couple years and would put him on a team I can actually pull for), to out of the first round entirely. Of course, I put minimal stock in these mock drafts because every single one I saw had the Panthers passing up on NC State's Bradbury to address the need at center, usually in favor of a different spot on the OL or a defensive end. If Bradbury is there for the Panthers and they pass on them they are absolute fools and I'm going to be close to done with the franchise.

jv001
03-05-2019, 12:04 PM
I think TJ will at least be on a practice squad this year. I think he could stick as a reserve WR for a while, but am not convinced he is starting caliber.

Looking at mock drafts post-combine, they have DJ all over the place. I've seen him projected at #13 to Miami, #28 to the Chargers (which would actually be a great spot for him to back up Rivers for a couple years and would put him on a team I can actually pull for), to out of the first round entirely. Of course, I put minimal stock in these mock drafts because every single one I saw had the Panthers passing up on NC State's Bradbury to address the need at center, usually in favor of a different spot on the OL or a defensive end. If Bradbury is there for the Panthers and they pass on them they are absolute fools and I'm going to be close to done with the franchise.

This North Carolina native is already there. With the Hornets and Panthers. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Not exactly. Sterling made his money from low-income housing in LA. As an NBA owner he was a cheapskate and did very little to develop what can be a valuable franchise.

Daniel Snyder was a marketing genius and made $1 billion (or so) by the time he was 30. The NFL encouraged him to become an owner. He spent money like crazy but didn't know what he was doing, even so far as to not know whom to ask for advice or how to hire a GM. I think the Skins are a more professionally run operation these days, but this is 20 years of wasted opportunities.

I have nothing personal against Donald Sterling -- although OMG! I have something personal against Daniel Snyder. About 20+ years ago, I was doing a winter hike along the C&O canal west of DC -- a national historic park. It was all woods on the inland part of the canal, and also between the canal and the Potomac and across the river. Then I came upon a gleaming white house, totally in the open. Daniel Snyder had bought the property and cut down the trees -- national park, Maryland laws and regs notwithstanding. He just paid the fine. All so he could have a view of the Potomac Valley from his house. Of course, upstream and across the river, when Donald Trump bought the Lowe's Island Golf Club to create Trump National, he also cut down all the trees along the river -- and this for a half-mile or so.

jv001
03-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Not exactly. Sterling made his money from low-income housing in LA. As an NBA owner he was a cheapskate and did very little to develop what can be a valuable franchise.

Daniel Snyder was a marketing genius and made $1 billion (or so) by the time he was 30. The NFL encouraged him to become an owner. He spent money like crazy but didn't know what he was doing, even so far as to not know whom to ask for advice or how to hire a GM. I think the Skins are a more professionally run operation these days, but this is 20 years of wasted opportunities.

I have nothing personal against Donald Sterling -- although OMG! I have something personal against Daniel Snyder. About 20+ years ago, I was doing a winter hike along the C&O canal west of DC -- a national historic park. It was all woods on the inland part of the canal, and also between the canal and the Potomac and across the river. Then I came upon a gleaming white house, totally in the open. Daniel Snyder had bought the property and cut down the trees -- national park, Maryland laws and regs notwithstanding. He just paid the fine. All so he could have a view of the Potomac Valley from his house. Of course, upstream and across the river, when Donald Trump bought the Lowe's Island Golf Club to create Trump National, he also cut down all the trees along the river -- and this for a half-mile or so.

Sage, I don't like trees on the courses I play either. Do you? :cool: GoDuke!