PDA

View Full Version : Cam Reddish

johnb
02-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Coach K compared Cam to Grant. There isn't higher praise.

Cam's had ups and downs, and we debate whether he warrants being drafted in the top 5 or 10. Maybe he needs to take better shots, make quicker decisions, gain confidence, and learn to take over games. All of those are things that can be learned, however, and maybe--in the old days--he'd be learning those things over the next few years while playing with such alternative reality teammates as Messrs. Bagley, Carter, Tatum, and Giles.

Last night's game made me think that maybe, just maybe, he's now completed his freshman season, and Cam is now ready to transition into being a star.

To remind myself of the pre-season Cam who shot >50% from 3 for Team USA, I looked up some old articles...

This article is from less than a year ago (written by Mr. Jason King). In high school, he had 100,000 instagram followers, had a Sports Illustrated video team do a documentary on his junior-year team, and had lunch with LeBron (and LeBron's agent--legal to do).
The title? Cam Reddish Is Going to Be a Star, but Not the Kind You're Used To
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766532-duke-recruit-cam-reddish-is-going-to-be-a-star-but-not-the-kind-youre-used-to?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Here's an article that Cam, himself, wrote for the Players Tribune. It includes his announcement that he'd be attending Duke (Sept 2017):
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/cameron-reddish-college-basketball-decision

In this article (Nov 2017), his coach (Seth Berger) describes how it took some time for underclassman Cam to get comfortable playing with such high profile players as Mohamed Bamba (Texas/Orlando) and Brandon Randolph (Arizona).
"Eventually, Berger saw progress. Reddish started to get more comfortable initiating the offense, using his size to see over the top of any defender, and his vision to feed the team’s other stars. Suddenly Westtown had an oversized lead guard who was learning to strike a balance of when to score and when to facilitate. It culminated in back-to-back state titles.

Reddish is still trying to be a “next play” guy. Where scouts might see a lack of constant competitiveness, Berger sees a kind, gentle kid who demands excellence out of himself."
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/11/2/16536978/cameron-reddish-duke-recruiting-nba-draft-2019-usa-basketball

I don't know how the next month will go, but if I'm surprised, I bet it's to the upside.

MChambers
02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense. Still high praise, however.

thewoosh31
02-06-2019, 04:53 PM
To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense. Still high praise, however.

Agreed. I really do like what I saw from his drives in this past game.

Previously, he usually drove into the lane and lost the ball like a running back with fumble-itis, but this game, he may have learned a thing or two from RJ in using his arms/body to better protect the ball while driving/taking steps before leaping and extending his hands for the shot/lay up.

I thought it led to better finishing attempts and FTs which have improved a lot for him.

Jeffrey
02-06-2019, 04:57 PM
To be fair, K only compared Cam to Grant on defense.

It would be hard to compare on offense since Grant did not shoot hardly any 3's as a freshman. IIRC, Grant only started shooting many 3's as a senior.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-06-2019, 05:06 PM
It would be hard to compare on offense since Grant did not shoot hardly any 3's as a freshman. IIRC, Grant only started shooting many 3's as a senior.

That's what I recall as well, as he became, in the words of Clark Kellogg - a "stat sheet stuffer..."

And I think Cam is gonna stuff the stat sheet a little more going forward....I think he's on the upward track...

MChambers
02-06-2019, 05:17 PM

True, but Grant was often the backup point guard. In the finals against Kansas, he did a lot of the ballhandling in the final minutes, when Kansas was trapping and pressing. I don't see Cam doing that this year.

Jeffrey
02-06-2019, 05:39 PM
That's what I recall as well, as he became, in the words of Clark Kellogg - a "stat sheet stuffer..."

True, but Grant was often the backup point guard. In the finals against Kansas, he did a lot of the ballhandling in the final minutes, when Kansas was trapping and pressing.

IMO, Grant's freshman team did not need him taking 3's and did need him taking it to the rim. Bobby could hit the 3, Christian could pull out bigs and hit a 3, McCaffrey could nail 3's (but, his D), and Thomas Hill could hit 3's.

Devilwin
02-06-2019, 05:49 PM
I feel if we are going to compete for the Natty, we need his out side shooting. Very critical.

Saratoga2
02-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Coach K compared Cam to Grant. There isn't higher praise.

Cam's had ups and downs, and we debate whether he warrants being drafted in the top 5 or 10. Maybe he needs to take better shots, make quicker decisions, gain confidence, and learn to take over games. All of those are things that can be learned, however, and maybe--in the old days--he'd be learning those things over the next few years while playing with such alternative reality teammates as Messrs. Bagley, Carter, Tatum, and Giles.

Last night's game made me think that maybe, just maybe, he's now completed his freshman season, and Cam is now ready to transition into being a star.

To remind myself of the pre-season Cam who shot >50% from 3 for Team USA, I looked up some old articles...

This article is from less than a year ago (written by Mr. Jason King). In high school, he had 100,000 instagram followers, had a Sports Illustrated video team do a documentary on his junior-year team, and had lunch with LeBron (and LeBron's agent--legal to do).
The title? Cam Reddish Is Going to Be a Star, but Not the Kind You're Used To
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766532-duke-recruit-cam-reddish-is-going-to-be-a-star-but-not-the-kind-youre-used-to?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Here's an article that Cam, himself, wrote for the Players Tribune. It includes his announcement that he'd be attending Duke (Sept 2017):
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/cameron-reddish-college-basketball-decision

In this article (Nov 2017), his coach (Seth Berger) describes how it took some time for underclassman Cam to get comfortable playing with such high profile players as Mohamed Bamba (Texas/Orlando) and Brandon Randolph (Arizona).
"Eventually, Berger saw progress. Reddish started to get more comfortable initiating the offense, using his size to see over the top of any defender, and his vision to feed the team’s other stars. Suddenly Westtown had an oversized lead guard who was learning to strike a balance of when to score and when to facilitate. It culminated in back-to-back state titles.

Reddish is still trying to be a “next play” guy. Where scouts might see a lack of constant competitiveness, Berger sees a kind, gentle kid who demands excellence out of himself."
[url]https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/11/2/16536978/cameron-reddish-duke-recruiting-nba-draft-2019-usa-basketball[/ur very goodl]

I don't know how the next month will go, but if I'm surprised, I bet it's to the upside.

My guess is that Cam is making gradual improvements to his game by learning what works on offense and what doesn't. His defense is already very good, but the offense can take longer. He will have setbacks as his game improves and we should expect those, but the trend is up. Good for him and for the team.

AGDukesky
02-06-2019, 05:58 PM
IMO, Grant's freshman team did not need him taking 3's and did need him taking it to the rim. Bobby could hit the 3, Christian could pull out bigs and hit a 3, McCaffrey could nail 3's (but, his D), and Thomas Hill could hit 3's.

Don’t forget Koubek...

arnie
02-06-2019, 06:03 PM
Don’t forget Koubek...

My memory is fading, but isn’t Koubek a good comp for Jack White? Maybe Koubek more consistent?

MChambers
02-06-2019, 06:07 PM
My memory is fading, but isn’t Koubek a good comp for Jack White? Maybe Koubek more consistent?

Koubek, especially in 90-91, was anything but consistent. At the beginning of the year, he about washed out of the rotation. I remember seeing him against Georgetown at the old Cap Center. He was totally lost. He improved over the course of the year, luckily.

Jeffrey
02-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Don’t forget Koubek...

My strong apologies!

AGDukesky
02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Koubek, especially in 90-91, was anything but consistent. At the beginning of the year, he about washed out of the rotation. I remember seeing him against Georgetown at the old Cap Center. He was totally lost. He improved over the course of the year, luckily.

He didn’t shoot a lot but he shot over 40% on 3s his last two seasons including 42% in 90-91

MChambers
02-06-2019, 06:25 PM
He didn’t shoot a lot but he shot over 40% on 3s his last two seasons including 42% in 90-91

My point was only that his overall play was horribly inconsistent. His shooting may have been more consistent than Jack's, but Jack's defense and rebounding have been consistent.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-06-2019, 07:38 PM

He got us off with a couple of quick 3's in that Kansas Natty game IIRC........

MChambers
02-06-2019, 07:52 PM
He got us off with a couple of quick 3's in that Kansas Natty game IIRC....

Actually, he only hit one three and had only five points for the game. I think they all came in the first minutes or so.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1991-04-01-duke.html

MrPoon
02-06-2019, 07:56 PM
So glad this is a thread.

I regularly listen to Sam Vecenie’s Game Theory podcast (lots of drive time).

He is very very knowledgeable and worth listening to. I don’t always love his guests but he knows his stuff. Regarding Cam, he has said all year he’s a top five talent. Recently he stressed that scouts don’t just judge him by this year (as so many here are doing) but his full body of work. Years of playing in HS, Nike, Team USA etc, plus Duke. After ALL of that, Cam is a top five player even with his recent short term struggles shooting and fitting in on an offense where he is the third option. Ask Chris Bosh if that affects your game. Game Theory even mentioned in passing that Cam is playing out of position and that too is causing him challenges. They didn’t elaborate on that but worth passing on.

It may just be a couple of games but we may be seeing soft spoken young man who is trying to find his space on this team. His effort was questioned as a recruit. I’ve never seen that as a problem. Defense is about effort and he’s been consistently good if not very good. So too is RB and he’s good there also. The last game or two he is even driving more with more confidence and getting the the FT line where he is good. He has a ton to add and the ACC has to hope he doesn’t hit full stride soon because they are already top five in offense and defense. If Cam shift to another gear, this team becomes nearly unguardable.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Actually, he only hit one three and had only five points for the game. I think they all came in the first minutes or so.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1991-04-01-duke.html

Yeah, I thought about it and I think he had the first 5 points of the game......for Duke. A 3 and a 2, not a pair of threes. Those were big buckets, breaking the ice for a team that was still exhausted physically and emotionally from the UNLV game.

MChambers
02-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I thought about it and I think he had the first 5 points of the game...for Duke. A 3 and a 2, not a pair of threes. Those were big buckets, breaking the ice for a team that was still exhausted physically and emotionally from the UNLV game.

I remember he got an offensive rebound off a badly missed Duke shot and put it back in to start the scoring. Wonder if my memory is right?

CDu
02-07-2019, 07:50 AM
I remember he got an offensive rebound off a badly missed Duke shot and put it back in to start the scoring. Wonder if my memory is right?

Nope. He hit the 3 on Duke’s first possession. On Duke’s third possession, he had a outback layup at the rim off of I think a Hill near-miss. At that point, we were up 5-1 thanks to forcing two turnovers. The next basket was Hill’s famous alley-oop.

MChambers
02-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Nope. He hit the 3 on Duke’s first possession. On Duke’s third possession, he had a outback layup at the rim off of I think a Hill near-miss. At that point, we were up 5-1 thanks to forcing two turnovers. The next basket was Hill’s famous alley-oop.

Figured my memory was a little off. But he did have a putback early, so it's not like I completely made it up.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Thanks for that little trip down history lane....I thought I remembered that Koub scored the first 5...but man, I had no idea, in my memory, that the famous Hurley to Hill alley oop was so early....I was thinking later in the half. One of the iconic Duke plays of all time....

jv001
02-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Thanks for that little trip down history lane...I thought I remembered that Koub scored the first 5...but man, I had no idea, in my memory, that the famous Hurley to Hill alley oop was so early...I was thinking later in the half. One of the iconic Duke plays of all time...

CDu has some kind of memory. I guess since Grant's grab and dunk was such a great play, I thought it was our first score in the game. Time has a way of doing that to a fella. And oh yeh, I like the improvement from Cam. He's never let his offense affect his defense. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-07-2019, 09:18 AM
CDu has some kind of memory. I guess since Grant's grab and dunk was such a great play, I thought it was our first score in the game. Time has a way of doing that to a fella. And oh yeh, I like the improvement from Cam. He's never let his offense affect his defense. GoDuke!

Funny how you thought it was the first hoop, and I thought it was mid way in the half......I guess we can both rely on CDu's memory or Kedsey's research flux capacitor to keep us straight....:D

jv001
02-07-2019, 09:59 AM
Funny how you thought it was the first hoop, and I thought it was mid way in the half...I guess we can both rely on CDu's memory or Kedsey's research flux capacitor to keep us straight...:D

Yeh, they're both good at what they do. GoDuke!

jimsumner
02-07-2019, 03:07 PM
And those were Koubek's only five points of the game.

CDu
02-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Appreciate you both thinking I did that from memory, but I must say it did not. :)

The discussion gave me a good excuse to spend a few minutes on YouTube rewatching that game. My plan was to watch until the Hill alleyoop or Koubek's second basket, whichever came last. I didn't figure I'd be done in like 5 minutes!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-07-2019, 09:27 PM
And those were Koubek's only five points of the game.

Now THAT I did remember.

Rich
02-07-2019, 09:31 PM
Nope. He hit the 3 on Duke’s first possession. On Duke’s third possession, he had a outback layup at the rim off of I think a Hill near-miss. At that point, we were up 5-1 thanks to forcing two turnovers.

One could argue that those 5 Koubek points set the tone for the whole game much like Patrick Ewing's goaltending calls in the beginning of the 1982 championship game.

I wouldn't, but one could.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-07-2019, 09:34 PM
One could argue that those 5 Koubek points set the tone for the whole game much like Patrick Ewing's goaltending calls in the beginning of the 1982 championship game.

I'll say that Koub's quick 5 were very important for a team fighting a UNLV hangover........to me it's a totally different situation than the Ewing start to 82.......and I'm glad we didn't have to beat Kansas without those 5 points.

CDu
02-08-2019, 08:13 AM
I'll say that Koub's quick 5 were very important for a team fighting a UNLV hangover...to me it's a totally different situation than the Ewing start to 82...and I'm glad we didn't have to beat Kansas without those 5 points.

Well, I am not sure how much of a hangover they were fighting. Their defense was extremely stout to open the game, forcing several early turnovers. Obviously we will never know what the outcome would have been without those points, so it isn’t an discussion with a clear answer. But I don’t know that they were any more important than, say, the Hill alley that came one possession later.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Well, I am not sure how much of a hangover they were fighting. Their defense was extremely stout to open the game, forcing several early turnovers. Obviously we will never know what the outcome would have been without those points, so it isn’t an discussion with a clear answer. But I don’t know that they were any more important than, say, the Hill alley that came one possession later.

The Hill alley oop was a huge play no doubt, and now an iconic one in Duke lore...and NCAAT lore.

As for the hangover, K alluded to that a bit in the post game...especially with regard to Laettner....who got more than normal rest as a result. I don't think he used the word hangover, but he alluded to physical and emotional lingering effects.

Meanwhile, Kansas beat the Cheats going away....oh, wait, it was Dean's Myth going away (before the end of the game).

royalblue
02-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Does the game memory that I’ve been trying to forget over the last 37 years really need to be used for anything ever. 😩😩

Dukehk
02-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Cam going to be so important for us against virginia. If he can hit 3's at a 40% clip or better, we will be incredibly difficult for even their vaunted defence to stop.

DC Chak
02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
In the realm of improvement throughout his final Duke season, Koub was no Zoub.

roywhite
02-08-2019, 12:01 PM
In the realm of improvement throughout his final Duke season, Koub was no Zoub.

Was that Brian Koubek and Greg Zoubek...or was it Greg Koubek and Brian Zoubek?
(I have to think twice when those names come up)

Koubek currently coaching or running a camp? Zoubek update?

Rich
02-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Zoubek update?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianzoubek/

https://catalystcitydev.com/

Catalyst City Development, LLC. is a private, Philadelphia based real estate development and operating firm founded in 2016 by Tyler McNeil and Brian Zoubek. The firm exclusively pursues value-add and opportunistic redevelopment opportunities in multi-family and mixed-use properties in Philadelphia and surrounding neighborhoods. As Philly natives, the firm relies on an extensive network of relationships, unparalleled sub-market knowledge and meticulous underwriting to identify off-market, mismanaged and underperforming assets. The principal’s entrepreneurial spirit and hands-on approach enables the firm to execute on these opportunities creating attractive risk adjusted returns for its investor base.

Making a positive impact in the local community is a cornerstone of the firm’s mission and a consideration in each and every project that we pursue. We believe in urbanization, creating home experiences through superior design and technology and fostering a sense of community within our buildings and the surrounding neighborhood. We are very passionate about the future of Philadelphia and are committed to being a Catalyst for its ongoing development.

lotusland
02-08-2019, 01:53 PM
https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianzoubek/

https://catalystcitydev.com/

Wait I thought Zoub was making the world a better place by baking donuts and other essentials?

CDu
02-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Wait I thought Zoub was making the world a better place by baking donuts and other essentials?

He did the pasties, at least briefly.

devildeac
02-08-2019, 02:55 PM

I dough not recall how long Dream Puffz remained open but I'd estimate less than 24 months, maybe less than 18 months. The pastry assortment our daughter bought there one time and delivered back to NC was outstanding. Amirite, Ozzie? ;)

lotusland
02-08-2019, 04:31 PM
I dough not recall how long Dream Puffz remained open but I'd estimate less than 24 months, maybe less than 18 months. The pastry assortment our daughter bought there one time and delivered back to NC was outstanding. Amirite, Ozzie? ;)

Well that’s too bad. We have enough Developers in the world but there can never be enough pastries:).

DavidBenAkiva
02-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Here's a look at Cam Reddish over the last 5 games:

18.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 1.2 turnovers, shooting 42.6% (FG%) / 39.2% (3P%) / 93.3% (FT%)

That seems pretty good to me.

roywhite
02-13-2019, 01:06 PM

18.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 1.2 turnovers, shooting 42.6% (FG%) / 39.2% (3P%) / 93.3% (FT%)

...and in the flow, playing with confidence. What does Coach K call it? Looking strong, and playing strong.

Great to see it for Cam and the team. Though their games are different, Cam's journey reminds me somewhat of Justise Winslow in 2015; a highly regarded freshman, he struggled in January in the early stages of the conference season, but came on in February, and kept improving. Became a champion, and Cam can, too.

dukelifer
02-13-2019, 01:20 PM

At some point we knew the light bulb would go off. Consistency is the name of the game. Cam is getting there- playing much much better. Still needs a little fire under him to get going but when he does- he is really a special player.

Dukehk
02-13-2019, 02:15 PM
It’s so great that Cam is now starting to play to his potential. Growing up right before our eyes.

One thing that people fail to mention is his defence. That’s one facet of his game that has never been “off”. He is just so long and gets so many deflections / shot alterations. It’s why K gives him so many minutes no matter how he is shooting the ball.

UrinalCake
02-17-2019, 10:48 AM
I have to say, he has done a great job of having his best shooting nights in games where we really needed them, and letting his off nights be in games where it doesn’t matter. If that were a skill, he would excel at it. Shot great @FSU, @UVA, second half @UL. Then uses up a dud on a game like yesterday.

If my theory holds true, then UNC “wasted” a great shooting night yesterday against Wake. 16-25 from three. Let’s hope they used them all up and have a cold night on Wednesday.

Devilwin
02-17-2019, 11:34 AM
I have to say, he has done a great job of having his best shooting nights in games where we really needed them, and letting his off nights be in games where it doesn’t matter. If that were a skill, he would excel at it. Shot great @FSU, @UVA, second half @UL. Then uses up a dud on a game like yesterday.

If my theory holds true, then UNC “wasted” a great shooting night yesterday against Wake. 16-25 from three. Let’s hope they used them all up and have a cold night on Wednesday.
I hope you are correct. Because we are going to need him Wednesday..

dukelifer
02-17-2019, 12:31 PM
I hope you are correct. Because we are going to need him Wednesday..

We all know Reddish is capable of brilliance but he has not figured out how to bring consistency to his offensive game. He is usually pretty good on D most every night. It is not easy to predict - but he has been good when he does not think and simply reacts. Cam's play on O is really the difference between a good Duke team and a great Duke team. We have seen improvement- just have to wait and see what happens on Wed.

DavidBenAkiva
02-22-2019, 10:02 AM
We all know Reddish is capable of brilliance but he has not figured out how to bring consistency to his offensive game. He is usually pretty good on D most every night. It is not easy to predict - but he has been good when he does not think and simply reacts. Cam's play on O is really the difference between a good Duke team and a great Duke team. We have seen improvement- just have to wait and see what happens on Wed.

Here's a post-Wednesday update on Cam: He's finding consistency in his game at both ends of the court.

In the last 7 games, Cam has scored in double figures 6 times, including 3 times with more than 20 points. Averages:

18.3 points, 2.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 3.3 rebounds

Shooting: 39.0% FG% / 35.7% 3P% / 84.0% FT%

By comparison, here are his season averages:

14.3 points, 2.1 assists, 1.9 steals, 0.4 blocks, 3.4 rebounds

Shooting: 36.2%/34.0%/77.5%

CDu
02-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Here's a post-Wednesday update on Cam: He's finding consistency in his game at both ends of the court.

In the last 7 games, Cam has scored in double figures 6 times, including 3 times with more than 20 points. Averages:

18.3 points, 2.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 0.6 blocks, 3.3 rebounds

Shooting: 39.0% FG% / 35.7% 3P% / 84.0% FT%

By comparison, here are his season averages:

14.3 points, 2.1 assists, 1.9 steals, 0.4 blocks, 3.4 rebounds

Shooting: 36.2%/34.0%/77.5%

To be fair, aside from scoring volume those recent numbers don't look much different from the season averages. He's just shooting the ball a lot more now. He's averaged 15.1 FGA per game in those seven games vs 12.6 FGA per game for the season and 3.6 FTA per game to 3.2 per game for the season. Also, a minor quibble, but it's 1.4 steals per game during this 7-game stretch (10 in 7 games).

Now, the one place where things do seem to be going a bit better is turnovers. He's slightly improved his assist rate while substantially reducing his turnover rate. So that's good. But in general, he's only been incrementally better on a higher shot volume during this 7-game stretch than he has been on the season.

Admittedly, this is very much weighted down by his abysmal shooting performance against NC State. If you take that game out, his numbers support your statement pretty well with regards to scoring: 19.8 ppg, 2.2 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.7 bpg, 2.7 rpg, 42.9 fg%, 38.1 3pt%, 85 ft%. But that one NC State game sort of encompasses his inconsistencies, as it was a real clunker.

If he can play more like those other 6 of the past 7 games the rest of the way, we've really got something from our third option.

UrinalCake
02-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Cam had a great game, his performance as well as Barrett's were completely overshadowed by the injury. Assuming Zion comes back, if Cam can keep up this level of play consistently then we're going to be tough to beat.

flyingdutchdevil
02-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Cam had a great game, his performance as well as Barrett's were completely overshadowed by the injury. Assuming Zion comes back, if Cam can keep up this level of play consistently then we're going to be tough to beat.

Yup. Cam was great and is really continuing to improve. And Barrett is Barrett.

If our 4 frosh are healthy and Zion, Cam, and Barrett are hitting some shots, good luck, 'Merica.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure our non-frosh are ever going to be impact offensive players this year. The shear lack of consistency and lack of offensive plays is really going to make Bolden/bench production very challenging.

kAzE
02-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Yup. Cam was great and is really continuing to improve. And Barrett is Barrett.

If our 4 frosh are healthy and Zion, Cam, and Barrett are hitting some shots, good luck, 'Merica.

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure our non-frosh are ever going to be impact offensive players this year. The shear lack of consistency and lack of offensive plays is really going to make Bolden/bench production very challenging.

I'm the biggest Jack White fan, but he should never dribble unless it's absolutely necessary . . . I'm going to pull my hair out if he passes up another wide open corner 3 only to drive the wrong way right into a charge. Other than getting Zion back, Jack White getting his shot back is probably the #1 thing that would help this team right now. We desperately need that 1 extra floor spacer. Right now, everyone in the universe knows Cam is the only real threat from deep, and that makes it even harder for him to get his shot off.

Alex just doesn't look ready to to consistently contribute yet. He's a good shooter, and you can tell the effort is absolutely there, but our defense suffers heavily with him on the court, and he doesn't make great decisions with the ball in his hands.

But we can't complain too much about Javin's offense, he knows he's strictly a dump off/put back guy, and basically never takes a dribble in the halfcourt. When it gets to this point in the season, I'd prefer everyone understands their own limitations, and Javin gets that.

DukieInBrasil
03-08-2019, 12:16 PM
i read thru the front page linked article, and it was nice enough i suppose. didn't really highlight anything new.
I remember reading about him during his recruitment and the common thread was his "motor" or drifting or however people put it. I haven't really noticed that while he's been at Duke, his defense seems to be consistently quite engaged and stifling at times. However, his offense has been wildly inconsistent lately. I don't have a diagnosis for why but in 3 of the last 6 games he's been...not good, shooting a combined 6-35 FGs. In the other 3 games he has played at an RJ Barrett level, shooting a combined 23-50 FGs.
These guys aren't automatons, and each opponent has different approaches to defending Cam, but consistency seems to be his biggest challenge at the moment. I really hope he's "on" vs uNC tomorrow!!!

Nugget
03-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Cam has long had a reputation as someone who doesn't consistently play hard enough/coasts, and based on what we've seen from him this season, that reputation appears unfair/unfounded. Cam has (to my eye) been consistently engaged and played hard. He's just got a smooth manner that (erroneously) reads as not aggressive.

Oddly, it may be that his being too eager to overcome the reputation of not being "aggressive" enough has lead to his problem with the charges/player control fouls.

budwom
03-08-2019, 01:09 PM
Cam has long had a reputation as someone who doesn't consistently play hard enough/coasts, and based on what we've seen from him this season, that reputation appears unfair/unfounded. Cam has (to my eye) been consistently engaged and played hard. He's just got a smooth manner that (erroneously) reads as not aggressive.

Oddly, it may be that his being too eager to overcome the reputation of not being "aggressive" enough has lead to his problem with the charges/player control fouls.

I think that's a very fair take...I did chuckle, though, at the article's claim that Cam's efforts to get into the lane at times appear effortless...I guess that's true on occasion, but by and large Cam's handle needs work.
Still love his potential and his smothering defense. The mention that K wants him to drive more might well explain Tuesday's charging calls...