PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v BC (Tue, Feb 5, 7 pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Duke hosts BC this Tuesday at 7 pm ET on ESPN's main network. This game will be part of the "Crossover" event at ESPN, which they've done for several years now. Hubie Brown, who usually does NBA games for ESPN, will join the college crew for this one. Sadly, I think Dick Vitale is also doing the game, so Hubie may not get much air time. In the past, I've found Brown's commentary interesting and insightful.

MChambers
02-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Yes, Hubie is a great commentator. Too bad he's doing a game involving one of the ACC's weakest teams. It would be more interesting to hear him doing a matchup of top teams.

Another payback game, like the St. John's game. T-Rank predicts 94-68.

I assume Duke will defense Bowman like it did Ponds, with Tre getting the assignment, and our bigs hedging aggressively.

Devilwin
02-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Duke hosts BC this Tuesday at 7 pm ET on ESPN's main network. This game will be part of the "Crossover" event at ESPN, which they've done for several years now. Hubie Brown, who usually does NBA games for ESPN, will join the college crew for this one. Sadly, I think Dick Vitale is also doing the game, so Hubie may not get much air time. In the past, I've found Brown's commentary interesting and insightful.

How fortunate we are.. Vitale again!!!!!!!!!!! Yay, Dickie V!! lol

gocanes0506
02-04-2019, 08:49 AM
This game is a traditional trap game before the another big game. I feel more confident about a win because its at home. Strong performance in the 2nd half to blow it open.

Does K wait until the end of the half/ start of the 2nd to tell Zion to demand the ball? Or does Zion want to play team ball but decides when he wants to take over? I expect the later because he is a team focused guy. It may be a mixture too. Z wants to play team ball and coach demands he goes and takes over the game.

Zion taking the ball to the hoop really drives a scoring run that blows the game open. Just a thought I’ve pondered on.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Does K wait until the end of the half/ start of the 2nd to tell Zion to demand the ball? Or does Zion want to play team ball but decides when he wants to take over? I expect the later because he is a team focused guy. It may be a mixture too. Z wants to play team ball and coach demands he goes and takes over the game.

Zion taking the ball to the hoop really drives a scoring run that blows the game open. Just a thought I’ve pondered on.

Vis a vis your thoughts above: I am very interested to hear Hubie Brown's take on RJ

TeacherTom
02-04-2019, 09:00 AM
I am more than thankful for the mute button.

budwom
02-04-2019, 09:45 AM
I am more than thankful for the mute button.

I'm a huge mute button fan as well, but am working on a Vitale Silencing App which is going to make me millions.

By the way (I'm limited in my tech knowledge) I was visiting a pal for the ND game who only has Roku (the video quality was sub optimal for sure) and they had the backboard cam option which I found interesting, because you got the crowd noise but no commentary, and an interesting angle on the action. A good alternative to the mute button.

AGDukesky
02-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Watching ESPN all these years has trained me to completely ignore the commentators. I rarely even notice them talking...

thedukelamere
02-04-2019, 09:59 AM
You guys are crazy... I'm really looking forward to hearing how it took Dickie V three tries to get 1500 on his SAT and how he can see someone's NBA potential despite only having one good eye for the 1000th time.

DavidBenAkiva
02-04-2019, 10:01 AM
This is the Calm Before the Storm game. After a matchup with BC on Tuesday, things really get tough for Duke.

@ Virginia
@ Louisville
vs. NC State
vs. UNC
@ Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech

My head tells me that Duke can win all of these games, but we should be happy with 4 victories. To win 5 would be fantastic. The good news for this stretch is that Duke won'g have to play any Monday games the rest of the (regular) season.

ndkjr70
02-04-2019, 10:09 AM
I’d sign up for 4 in the next 5 without question. Although only if I could get a guarantee that a certain one of those games falls in our favor.

wsb3
02-04-2019, 11:16 AM
You guys are crazy... I'm really looking forward to hearing how it took Dickie V three tries to get 1500 on his SAT and how he can see someone's NBA potential despite only having one good eye for the 1000th time.

And how much he hates the alternate possession for jump balls.

dukelifer
02-04-2019, 11:21 AM
This is the Calm Before the Storm game. After a matchup with BC on Tuesday, things really get tough for Duke.

@ Virginia
@ Louisville
vs. NC State
vs. UNC
@ Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech

My head tells me that Duke can win all of these games, but we should be happy with 4 victories. To win 5 would be fantastic. The good news for this stretch is that Duke won'g have to play any Monday games the rest of the (regular) season.

A stretch that will make or break the chance for the regular season title.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm a huge mute button fan as well, but am working on a Vitale Silencing App which is going to make me millions.

Please PM me about investing......are you close? :cool:

Lar77
02-04-2019, 11:50 AM

@ Virginia
@ Louisville
vs. NC State
vs. UNC
@ Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech

Oddly, I think the Va Tech game might be the toughest. They have a "puncher's chance". I think we will be more than ready for UVa and we will have a full team. Tough stretch to be sure considering State may be the easiest to win and they always play us hard (but no Yurtseven this year)

CDu
02-04-2019, 11:51 AM
BC is a team that has occasionally given Duke teams fits, most notably on the road. They are usually not good, but the atmosphere at BC is so bland that perhaps we fall asleep at the wheel. There have been a few semi-talented teams there over the years, but in general this has essentially been a midmajor playing against Duke for the better part of a decade. This season is not really an exception, although BC is better than usual (although a bit worse than last year's BC team).

BC is coached by Jim Christian, yet another in a growing line of midmajor coaches that have been chosen to head the team in recent years. They play at an average pace, and are an okay offensive team overall. Their best skills offensively are drawing fouls and avoiding turnovers. But they do pretty much everything else poorly. In aggregate, they are a lower-end Power-5 offense. But they are a terrible defensive team, and do pretty much nothing well on that end of the floor. It is a game we should win comfortably (especially at home), with a lack of focus or a monster night by one or more of their two really good players being the only realistic way a loss happens.

Centers: Nik Popovic (6'11", 250lb junior from Bosnia and Herzegovina via high school in Florida) is the man in the middle. Popovic plays with a chip on his shoulder and is kind of fiery. He fancies himself a perimeter threat, but that hasn't really materialized for him. But he's a rugged player, not overly athletic but not a total wash either. Solid rebounder, and a productive player inside. He's a 14 and 7 guy for the Eagles and a solid ACC-level contributor. Behind Popovic is Luka Kraljevic (6'10", 230lb sophomore from Slovenia). Kraljevic has some touch around the basket and from the perimeter, but he hasn't caught up to the physicality and speed of the college game. He plays somewhat sparingly and the most notable thing he contributes is fouls. Lastly, as needed is Johncarlos Reyes (6'10", 215lb fourth-year junior). Reyes brings no finesse or touch to the game at all. He's a lanky, high-energy player who doesn't shoot more than at the rim and contributes little other than a few minutes and fouls and the occasional block. Reyes and Kraljevic have swapped roles throughout the season, though neither has been effective.

Forwards: Steffon Mitchell (6'8" 220lb sophomore) is the primary option at forward for the Eagles. Mitchell is a high-motor, dirty-work guy who pounds the glass on both ends and blocks some shots and draws fouls around the basket. He's also a very willing passer, with a nearly 3:1 assist to turnover ratio. He has virtually no scoring chops or shooting touch though, and defers to teammates entirely on that role. Mitchell is athletic enough to guard wings, and is a true glue guy for the Eagles. Jairus Hamilton (6'8", 235lb freshman) is the other option there. Hamilton was a top-100 recruit with a fantastic frame and terrific athleticism. He has the potential to be a monster on the glass and scoring around the basket. But his basketball skill set is still pretty raw as he has mainly gotten by on size and athleticism to this point. He has a bright future for BC, but he's been pretty up-and-down this season.

Wings: Jordan Chapman (6'5", 210lb fifth-year senior via BYU) is the headliner on the wing. Chapman should be familiar to us as he was on fire last year against us at BC. Chapman is on the floor to shoot, and he can really shoot it. About 2/3 of his FG attempts are from 3. He is also a very good free throw shooter, but he doesn't really draw a lot of fouls as he isn't terribly strong off the dribble. He's a lanky, not overly athletic wing, and he's not a great defender. Again, he's essentially a gunner for the Eagles, taking over 6 threes per game. We should avoid losing track of him on the floor. Alongside Chapman is Jared Hamilton (6'4", 205lb junior transfer from Ga Southern and Jacksonville St). Hamilton is the older brother of Jairus. He joined BC last spring, so his BC career didn't begin until the Spring semester this year. He's worked his way into the starting lineup. Jared is the wing version of his younger brother: highly athletic but raw offensively. He's sort of the yin to Chapman's yang, providing the athleticism/physicality and hustle to Chapman's skill. The only option off the bench for the Eagles is Chris Herren Jr (6'3", 175lb freshman). Herren is the son and namesake of a former prep legend and eventual NBA player from the Boston area (Chris Herren Sr). The elder Herren was a troubled kid who struggled throughout his life with drug problems, but has righted his ship and serves as a motivational speaker these days. It's cool that his son has made it to BC; the dad was at BC briefly before falling out out school with drug problems and winding up as a second-chance case for Tark at Fresno St. Herren Jr was a walk-on who reclassified to this class and was given a scholarship. He's a good shooter though not the athlete or player that his dad was. Still, it's a nice story. [side note: Herren Jr isn't the only son of a troubled Boston-area star who plays for BC; Vin Baker Jr (6'7", 185lb sophomore forward) also plays occasionally for the Eagles]

Guards: Ky Bowman (6'1", 190lb junior) is the man that runs the Eagles' show. Bowman is an uber-athlete at lead guard. He was fairly heavily recruited to play football by UNC, but chose basketball and came to BC because UNC wouldn't give him a serious look at bball. He is fast, strong, explosive, and fearless. An elite rebounder for a guard, and he scores at all 3 levels. He reminds a little bit of Russell Westbrook in terms of size and physical tools. He's an absolute dynamo, though a bit turnover prone. But considering how limited BC is in terms of talent, that is understandable. If he were a couple of inches taller, he'd likely be in the NBA right now. As is, he probably will be playing in the league fairly soon. It will be yet another really big assignment for Tre Jones. Wynston Tabbs (6'2", 195lb freshman) is the other option. He has missed several games due to a knee injury, so I'm not sure if he'll be available. If not, the Eagles are REALLY limited offensively, as he and Bowman are the only ballhandlers and playmakers on the team. Tabbs is not quite the athlete that Bowman is, but he's also a fearless scorer and capable playmaker. Tabbs has had a few monster games for the Eagles, and they desperately need him to compete with us.

This is a game that we should win comfortably. BC lacks the depth of talent needed to threaten us (especially if Tabbs remains out), and don't have the athleticism to keep up with Williamson and Barrett. Bowman and Chapman may be able to keep them relevant as they are capable of carrying a load offensively, but it's hard to see the Eagles keeping our offense from running smoothly. Hopefully the team can stay engaged and not let the Eagles hang around and get irrationally confident.

DUKIE V(A)
02-04-2019, 12:21 PM

I wonder if Dickie V will offer any opinions on where Zion should be drafted and his potential fit with the New York Knicks...

As far as the BC game goes, this is another opportunity for payback as well as an excellent opportunity to get everyone involved and feeling good heading into the meat of our ACC schedule.

DavidBenAkiva
02-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Oddly, I think the Va Tech game might be the toughest. They have a "puncher's chance". I think we will be more than ready for UVa and we will have a full team. Tough stretch to be sure considering State may be the easiest to win and they always play us hard (but no Yurtseven this year)

That depends on the health of their senior point guard, Justin Robinson. Without him, that puts an awful lot of pressure on Nickeil Alexander-Walker to be the primary scorer and facilitator. Robinson was in a walking boot over the weekend and is listed as out indefinitely. Against NC State, the Hokies were only able to put up 47 points. VA Tech is a thin team as-is, so losing Robinson for a stretch is a big blow. It was their worst offensive performance of the season. Of course, NC State helped by providing their worst offensive performance ever.

DukieInBrasil
02-04-2019, 12:35 PM

@ Virginia
@ Louisville
vs. NC State
vs. UNC
@ Syracuse
@ Virginia Tech

All of those teams are either tied for 1st or tied for the 2nd best record, except State. I agree that if this team retains its focus, plays good D and the ball rolls our way, we could win all of those games. 4-2 would be a decent result, particularly if we beat UVA and UNC.

A stretch that will make or break the chance for the regular season title.

yep, all except State are right there with Duke in terms of vying for the league reg. season title. I would love for this team to sweep this stretch. The fact that we beat UVA w/o Tre, and that our only loss came w/o Cam (a relatively late scratch) and in-game loss of our undisputed floor general, in OT, gives me hope that we can in fact sweep this stretch. That Tre & Zion ball-pressure trap has been an absolutely devastating combo move, leading to steals and run out dunks. The fact that UNC doesn't really have a PG gives me hope that we'll spank 'em.

COYS
02-04-2019, 12:39 PM
We've often talked about how good this team can be when Cam is hitting threes, RJ is efficient, and Zion is . . . well . . . the phenomenon he is. However, I'm also curious to see how good we are if we can get all of the role players hitting on all cylinders. As Marques has reached a new level of consistency, Jack and Jav have struggled just a bit. Jav made some nice progress against St. Johns. And I'm not trying to knock Jack, either. He has exceeded my expectations going into this season and is still a valuable contributor. Still, I'd like to see Jav and Jack get back up to the level they were playing earlier in the season. With all of our talent, we're already a tough team to beat. But when Jack, Jav, and Marques are all three consistently doing the dirty work on D and being opportunistic on O, it really raises our ceiling. Marques has really set a new standard over the past few weeks. Now I hope Jack and Jav can make the leap to match him.

kako
02-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Hubie Brown knows basketball. I look forward to his comments on the play and prospects regarding the various Duke players... hopefully a lot of it to kill airtime during a beat down of BC.

Somehow, I can't see Hubie putting up with Vitale's schtick.

9F

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Hubie Brown knows basketball. I look forward to his comments on the play and prospects regarding the various Duke players... hopefully a lot of it to kill airtime during a beat down of BC.

Somehow, I can't see Hubie putting up with Vitale's schtick.

9F

2 totally different, high volume commentators......not sure how this will work at all........

UrinalCake
02-04-2019, 02:22 PM
That depends on the health of their senior point guard, Justin Robinson.

We should put in our Justin Robinson early in the game just to spite them :D

BandAlum83
02-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Wait, what?

Dickie V has only one eye?

uh_no
02-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Wait, what?

he has a glass eye.

Rich
02-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Wait, what?

I'm assuming you forgot the roll eyes emoji.

BandAlum83
02-04-2019, 03:21 PM
he has a glass eye.

Did this just happen?

devildeac
02-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Did this just happen?

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/01/espns_dick_vitale_who_will_call_syracuse-duke_nearly_quit_long_ago_due_to_his_ey.html

"For years, Dick Vitale made a joke out of his bad left eye, the one he couldn't see out of because of an accident when he was a small child.

He lost the vision in the eye after it was poked by a pencil."

(First article that came up after a brief search.)

Now, about mike eades...

:rolleyes:

BandAlum83
02-04-2019, 03:24 PM
I'm assuming you forgot the roll eyes emoji.

I forgot the /snark tag also. I just can’t keep up this ruse.

I don’t like appearing clueless even in front of faceless people in the internet.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
I forgot the /snark tag also. I just can’t keep up this ruse.

I don’t like appearing clueless even in front of faceless people in the internet.

I can't believe they didn't pick up on the sarc......to me it was obvious.

SlapTheFloor
02-04-2019, 06:25 PM
I can't believe they didn't pick up on the sarc...to me it was obvious.

I mean, I could see what you were doing AND I ONLY HAVE ONE EYE, BABY!

BandAlum83
02-04-2019, 10:59 PM
I mean, I could see what you were doing AND I ONLY HAVE ONE EYE, BABY!

You too? Wow, it’s epidemic!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 07:12 AM
https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/01/espns_dick_vitale_who_will_call_syracuse-duke_nearly_quit_long_ago_due_to_his_ey.html

"For years, Dick Vitale made a joke out of his bad left eye, the one he couldn't see out of because of an accident when he was a small child.

He lost the vision in the eye after it was poked by a pencil."

(First article that came up after a brief search.)

Now, about mike eades...

:rolleyes:

Wow, you would think he would mention something about it once in awhile or, like, reference it five times a game like his bald head or his new book.

(The only thing he mentions more frequently is the V Foundation, but I offer him a pass on that)

HereBeforeCoachK
02-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Wow, you would think he would mention something about it once in awhile or, like, reference it five times a game like his bald head or his new book.

Yeah, who needs KenPom or NET when you can have the "BDI"

PensDevil
02-05-2019, 07:49 AM

(The only thing he mentions more frequently is the V Foundation, but I offer him a pass on that)

I've been giving him a pass on the book mentions as well, since proceeds are going to the V Foundation.

Honestly I'd join those that use the mute button, but I like to hear the ambient noise from the game. If only they'd add an option to just mute the commentary audio and leave the rest...

budwom
02-05-2019, 08:31 AM
I've been giving him a pass on the book mentions as well, since proceeds are going to the V Foundation.

Honestly I'd join those that use the mute button, but I like to hear the ambient noise from the game. If only they'd add an option to just mute the commentary audio and leave the rest...

visiting a friend in FL last week, he only had Roku (no cable TV) and one of the ESPN options was the backboard cam...interesting view, and you got the crowd noise without the blather...I found it interesting.

Saratoga2
02-05-2019, 10:29 AM

It's always about him. He makes the game hard to listen to. I have sent complaints to ESPN, but they want their people to have personality and in Vitale they hit the jackpot.

Phredd3
02-05-2019, 11:16 AM
It's always about him. He makes the game hard to listen to. I have sent complaints to ESPN, but they want their people to have personality and in Vitale they hit the jackpot.

Dickie V has always had personality, but in the past he's also been willing to share some basketball knowledge, which at one point he actually possessed. As he has aged, though, his analysis has dwindled to the point of non-existence and I no longer see why I should be tolerating the over-the-top stream of irrelevance. Yes, I can give him a pass for the V foundation, but there's still nothing positive I see him bringing to the table when it comes to describing the game.

He seems like a nice guy. He just shouldn't be doing in-game commentary any more.

markbdevil
02-05-2019, 11:35 AM
visiting a friend in FL last week, he only had Roku (no cable TV) and one of the ESPN options was the backboard cam...interesting view, and you got the crowd noise without the blather...I found it interesting.

I enjoy the Spanish version on the ESPN app especially when Zion does something

HereBeforeCoachK
02-05-2019, 01:11 PM
I enjoy the Spanish version on the ESPN app especially when Zion does something

Spanish speaking sports announcers tend to be......shall we say.......ENTHUSIASTIC.....and loud.

But this makes sense. Latin cultures are generally louder and more boisterous on balance. That's not a criticism, merely an observation after living in Latin America for a couple years, and traveling other times as well.

Billy Dat
02-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Assuming our team is 100% healthy, this is a game where I'd like to see us continue what we did at Notre Dame, jump on an over-matched ACC opponent from the outset. I'd like to see...
-Duke push out to a 10-20 point lead and keep it there
-Antonio and JRob on the court in the final few minutes.
-K have no cause to remove his coat
-Duke be above 35% from 3 on fewer than 25 attempts
-RJ and Cam take fewer than 7 threes
-Cam turn it over less than 3 times
-Jack White regain some of his swagger, however he can

As for stuff I am curious about...
-I assume Bolden will start, does he continue his grasp on that "5th Man" spot or does the suddenly re-emerging Javin push him for minutes? Can Jack get back in that conversation? I see those three as the only possible players of that role, I don't think AOC gets over that hump this year.
-Can we push that defensive TO% to over 20%?
-Can RJ and Zion keep marching to the FT line?

dukee94
02-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Fairly straightforward solution that I have used for years. ESPN (mostly) broadcasts in Dolby 5.1. Use a receiver that supports Dolby 5.1, unplug the front, center, and subwoofer and only use the rear channels. Nothing but crowd noise (unless ESPN messes up their audio). Secondary solution, run a radio broadcast through your speakers, pause the game on your DVR at tip, sync the audio and video.

Troublemaker
02-05-2019, 05:01 PM
From BC student radio:

WZBC Sports‏ @WZBCSports (https://twitter.com/WZBCSports) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/WZBCSports/status/1092867190154543104)
Looks like Wynston Tabbs will miss the Duke game tonight. The freshman is still on campus and still on crutches. #BConWZBC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/BConWZBC?src=hash)

Yeah, that's going to be tough on the Eagles. They need a secondary playmaker with Ky Bowman having to deal with Tre and Duke's team defense tonight.

Saratoga2
02-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Assuming our team is 100% healthy, this is a game where I'd like to see us continue what we did at Notre Dame, jump on an over-matched ACC opponent from the outset. I'd like to see...

As for stuff I am curious about...
-I assume Bolden will start, does he continue his grasp on that "5th Man" spot or does the suddenly re-emerging Javin push him for minutes? Can Jack get back in that conversation? I see those three as the only possible players of that role, I don't think AOC gets over that hump this year.
-Can we push that defensive TO% to over 20%?
-Can RJ and Zion keep marching to the FT line?

Interesting list:

I agree that we should keep the number of three point shots taken down. RJ and Cam taking most but perhaps Tre can emerge as an option as his form looks reasonable.
Cam's main strength is his defense so he should concentrate on that and let his offense come to him rather than force things off the dribble.
Jack's sudden change is an enigma. He still plays good defense and is a capable and smart rebounder. Where has his offense gone?
I don't see Javin's game as re-emerging. He has to pick it up a lot to bypass Bolden at this juncture.
Sadly, I agree the Alex doesn't seem ready to make a positive impact. He has a lot of potential, but that is not enough to keep him in games when they get competitive.

BandAlum83
02-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Fairly straightforward solution that I have used for years. ESPN (mostly) broadcasts in Dolby 5.1. Use a receiver that supports Dolby 5.1, unplug the front, center, and subwoofer and only use the rear channels. Nothing but crowd noise (unless ESPN messes up their audio). Secondary solution, run a radio broadcast through your speakers, pause the game on your DVR at tip, sync the audio and video.

I've tried your second suggestion, but I think the only audio I can get is through TuneIn. It tends to lag from time to time and jump, so the sync is unreliable. Also, I tend to get away from live viewing. I wait a few minutes to start, rewind to see great plays, pause for popcorn &bathroom, etc. That way i can fast forward through the commercials, which I despise wasting my time with!

fathippo
02-05-2019, 06:10 PM

Unfortunately we need some trick to mute Vitale and hear Hubie Brown and the crowd tonight.

-jk
02-05-2019, 06:34 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:27 PM
I’d be fine if this team never took a 3 again

slower
02-05-2019, 07:28 PM

So, you're not very happy right now, are you? I don't know what to make of this team.

I'm betting the coat comes off pretty soon.

arnie
02-05-2019, 07:28 PM
I’d be fine if this team never took a 3 again

Hey we’ve made 1 of 10. Most of which have been uncontested. It must be the rims.

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Jack white is lost on offense

uh_no
02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Hey we’ve made 1 of 10. Most of which have been uncontested. It must be the rims.

atrocious performance on offense so far. adjustment doesn't help...BC's defense is bad enough that the adjustment actually HURTS our number.

The defense is actually playing pretty well given the number of possessions.

jipops
02-05-2019, 07:31 PM
This team isn’t all of a sudden going to start filling it up from outside this season. They are who they are, and they just can’t shoot. Thankfully the other talents available are substantial.

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Omg bolden

jipops
02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Jack white is lost on offense

He’s been lost since Syracuse. Hopefully we see him again at some point this season. But as of now he has zero confidence.

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
This is rudiculous

slower
02-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Feels like Zion will have to bail out the rest of the team. Again.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 07:37 PM
It would be awesome if we had a shooter.

jimmymax
02-05-2019, 07:37 PM
My kingdom for a three...

arnie
02-05-2019, 07:38 PM
He’s been lost since Syracuse. Hopefully we see him again at some point this season. But as of now he has zero confidence.

I agree, don’t know why he’s regressed this much on O. Maybe time to try O’Connell, but never know which O’Connell shows up.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 07:41 PM
We seem determined to prove we can shoot. However...

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Bench the whole team

ndkjr70
02-05-2019, 07:44 PM
This duke team has “first round exit” written all over it.

The effort today isn’t just disappointing, it’s unacceptable. They should all be embarrassed about the four letters on their chest.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Hey, we hit one!

uh_no
02-05-2019, 07:47 PM
The effort today isn’t just disappointing, it’s unacceptable.

Hm....they're playing pretty darn good defense for not showing any effort. (76 adjusted, for those at home....easily better than the best in the country)

But hey, you know better.

jipops
02-05-2019, 07:48 PM
I’m convinced that if this team could shoot then it wouldn’t be able to play defense.

SCMatt33
02-05-2019, 07:49 PM
This duke team has “first round exit” written all over it.

The effort today isn’t just disappointing, it’s unacceptable. They should all be embarrassed about the four letters on their chest.

Ok, that’s way too far. Just physically, they will dominate any 15-16 seed. This isn’t a team who’s best lineup has a 6-8 215 lb guy at center where you have no physical advantage.

That said, there’s no excuse for this team ever taking this many threes, especially contested threes where the ball is just being passed around the perimeter. That drive by Cam with 2 or 3 minutes left was there every single time, and only once did someone take it. If they rotate to help, find a kick out and then you can consider a 3 or re-drive it. It’s lazy lazy offense.

AGDukesky
02-05-2019, 07:49 PM
If defense is watching guys miss open shots then these teams are killing it

slower
02-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Well, they're certainly killing most of US.

arnie
02-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Ok, that’s way too far. Just physically, they will dominate any 15-16 seed. This isn’t a team who’s best lineup has a 6-8 215 lb guy at center where you have no physical advantage.

That said, there’s no excuse for this team ever taking this many threes, especially contested threes where the ball is just being passed around the perimeter. That drive by Cam with 2 or 3 minutes left was there every single time, and only once did someone take it. If they rotate to help, find a kick out and then you can consider a 3 or re-drive it. It’s lazy lazy offense.

We probably win tonight, but if a loss would cut future 3’s down to 10-12 a game I’d take it. Need RJ to stay in the game.

WHOneedsSOX
02-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Hey, they're losing. What's going on? Haven't watched yet.

jwillfan
02-05-2019, 07:56 PM
I haven't seen us really attack a zone much, let alone well, all season. Started with Syracuse - granted we were down Cam and Tre for that game but was expecting to see a player like Barrett or Zion flash into the lane, some angle passed to the baseline, etc. Instead I we get pass around the perimeter and jack up (no pun intended or slight to mr white) up a 3.

Can K not coach O against the zone? /jk he's the GOAT so of course he can. Just doesn't seem like he is?

jv001
02-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Not having RJ definitely hurt in more ways in one. With as many shots as we've missed we should have been able to get more offensive rebounds. RJ may not be the best 3 point shooter, but he is a good rebounder and can pass the ball. Those 3 fouls really hurt. Maybe he can come back in the 2nd half and give us the energy we need on the offensive glass and maybe someone will find their stroke from 3. I think it could be Cam if he'd just square up and not shoot those off balance 3s. Great steal at the end though. GoDuke!

SCMatt33
02-05-2019, 07:59 PM

I don’t know what you’re watching, but maybe 5 of Dukes 15 threes were what I’d call open. Especially for this team. Catch turn and shoot in one motion because a close out is coming is not an “open” shot. That was at least 5 of the threes. You had another 2 or 3 off the dribble or standing still. There was a couple (one or two of cams from the wing and one of jacks from the corner) that were open with time to turn step and shoot, and one off an offensive board. The majority of those were not good looks. Maybe they’re good looks for JJ Redick, or even a guy like Grayson Allen, but they aren’t good looks for anyone on this team. There were maybe 5-7 of those that should have gone up.

gocanes0506
02-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Man this half isn’t helping my anguish over this being a trap game. Also i will try not to succumb to my anxiety because the team is capable of a 20-5 run at any time. Man they really want to tempt fate with poor 1st halves.

bluedev_92
02-05-2019, 08:00 PM
The effort is there. Some bad bounces & poor outside shooting. 2nd half will be different.

ndkjr70
02-05-2019, 08:06 PM
I’m going to leave my post unedited and just admit that I was overly frustrated with a group of teenagers for struggling for one half of a basketball game, and that’s just stupid.

I didn’t love the effort on the offensive side of the ball. Off ball movement was nonexistent, shots were being taken from poor angles with ample shot clock time, etc.

But instead of saying it like that, I said it like a prepubescent loser. Sorry.

InSpades
02-05-2019, 08:07 PM
It's amazing how good things usually happen when we attack the basket and bad things happen when we settle for jump shots.

I don't think it's a lack of effort... this team rarely lacks for effort (Zion and Tre in particular seem to give 110%).

Just need to play smarter. When we settle for jump shots we are giving away our advantage. When we attack the basket we amplify our advantage.

Agree that these halves remind me of past NCAA flame outs... this team is too good for that (I hope).

Would be nice if we found a way to get Zion more involved if they are going to front him in the post.

slower
02-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Cam looking good. Very encouraging.

Tre working SO hard on D against Bowman, who's just a really, really good player.

SCMatt33
02-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Now that 3 by Tre after the drive was by far the best look all day. He missed it, but that’s exactly the kind of three you need to take (and make). If we ever go 1-15 on those looks, then I’ll throw my hands up and say there’s nothing to do. But this half has been much better so far in terms of looks (except the off balance dribble into 3 that Cam actually made)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 08:26 PM
I’m going to leave my post unedited and just admit that I was overly frustrated with a group of teenagers for struggling for one half of a basketball game, and that’s just stupid.

I didn’t love the effort on the offensive side of the ball. Off ball movement was nonexistent, shots were being taken from poor angles with ample shot clock time, etc.

But instead of saying it like that, I said it like a prepubescent loser. Sorry.

That is big of you. Thanks.

Team seems to be settling in.

arnie
02-05-2019, 08:27 PM
It's amazing how good things usually happen when we attack the basket and bad things happen when we settle for jump shots.

I don't think it's a lack of effort... this team rarely lacks for effort (Zion and Tre in particular seem to give 110%).

Just need to play smarter. When we settle for jump shots we are giving away our advantage. When we attack the basket we amplify our advantage.

Agree that these halves remind me of past NCAA flame outs... this team is too good for that (I hope).

Would be nice if we found a way to get Zion more involved if they are going to front him in the post.

And we’re 9 of 11 from the line. Driving helps.

53n206
02-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Cam looking good. Bowman is really good, but- sorry - his hair does not in any way appeal to me. But he is a talented BB player

slower
02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
DeLaurier should not have the ball in his hands. Ever.

Barrett could have been seriously hurt on that drive against Bowman.

robed deity
02-05-2019, 08:30 PM
How did Zion just pick that ball up off the botched handoff from Javin and score? Looked like a sure turnover. He makes like 5 or more mind boggling plays a game.

Sluggo
02-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Missed dunk on purpose. Trying to dispel theory that he’s a dunker.

ndkjr70
02-05-2019, 08:37 PM
I hope Zion tries that dunk again. I love it.

The risk is worth the reward in a 10+ point game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 08:38 PM
I like Bolden's baby hook.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 08:44 PM
More great footwork by Bolden!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Did everyone quit watching when there stopped being things to complain about?