PDA

View Full Version : Duke completes double three-peat over Tar Heels

DST Fan
02-02-2019, 04:51 PM
Like the football team, the Duke men's and women's swim teams have now beaten the Heels three consecutive years. The women defeated UNC 165.5-134.5 today and the men won a close meet by a score of 155-145.

To put put this result in perspective--

In the 2017 dual meets, the men beat the Heels for the first time since 1939 and the women won for the first time in program history. The men's performance is particularly noteworthy because, although the women's program has been fully funded for several years now, I believe the men's team continues to be non-funded.

The story from GoDuke appears below.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211788908&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.150143348.396992.1549142230-1094389107.1486851597

chrishoke
02-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Sweet. Thanks foe sharing. GTHC GTH.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Wow. That is awesome. I recall going to a Duke-UNC swim meet in the 90s and them completely dominating us - I think they would have their divers swim races at the end to avoid running up the score too much. Let’s go Duke!

BandAlum83
02-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Wow. That is awesome. I recall going to a Duke-UNC swim meet in the 90s and them completely dominating us - I think they would have their divers swim races at the end to avoid running up the score too much. Let’s go Duke!

What? Sportsmanship?

budwom
02-03-2019, 09:27 AM
I have no idea of what the facts are, but I would bet that unc gives more scholarships to their swimmers than does Duke...so this is especially impressive.

DST Fan
02-03-2019, 12:01 PM
I have no idea of what the facts are, but I would bet that unc gives more scholarships to their swimmers than does Duke...so this is especially impressive.

Duke fully funded the women’s team several years ago, so the women have the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA, which is 14. A fully funded D-1 men’s swim team is allowed 9.9 scholarships. I know that, as recently as 2010, the Duke men’s team had no scholarships. I am not aware of any recent changes in the funding of the men’s program, but I may have missed something. I also would be very surprised if both teams at UNC were not fully funded.

The women have broken into the top 20 the past few years but, given the lack of scholarships, the performance by the men’s team may be even more impressive. One challenge the two teams continue to face is the training facility. It is difficult to build top-flight D-1 swim teams without a 50-meter pool. The pool in Wilson is a 25-yard pool, which means there are fewer lanes for training and the coaching staff has more challenges juggling practice schedules.

budwom
02-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Duke fully funded the women’s team several years ago, so the women have the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA, which is 14. A fully funded D-1 men’s swim team is allowed 9.9 scholarships. I know that, as recently as 2010, the Duke men’s team had no scholarships. I am not aware of any recent changes in the funding of the men’s program, but I may have missed something. I also would be very surprised if both teams at UNC were not fully funded.

The women have broken into the top 20 the past few years but, given the lack of scholarships, the performance by the men’s team may be even more impressive. One challenge the two teams continue to face is the training facility. It is difficult to build top-flight D-1 swim teams without a 50-meter pool. The pool in Wilson is a 25-yard pool, which means there are fewer lanes for training and the coaching staff has more challenges juggling practice schedules.

good info, I kind of assumed this might be the case since Title IX has led to a lot of women's sports getting fully funded, and not so much for the men in non revenue sports.

DST Fan
02-03-2019, 12:24 PM
good info, I kind of assumed this might be the case since Title IX has led to a lot of women's sports getting fully funded, and not so much for the men in non revenue sports.

Yes, Duke fully funded women’s swimming at the same time the softball team was added. As I understand it, the additional funding of the women’s teams was tied to the additional funds that were dedicated to the football team. The impact of Coach Cutcliffe has been far reaching.