PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. St. Johns (Feb 2, 2019)

JBDuke
02-02-2019, 02:02 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over St. Johns this afternoon?

CameronBornAndBred
02-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Zion outscored NCSU. And he was sitting for 5 over minutes.

Bob Green
02-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Zion was unstoppable. St. John's had no answer.

Runner-up: R.J. Barrett with 15 points and 14 rebounds.

Honorable mention: Tre Jones for shutting down Shamorie Ponds.

mph
02-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Can’t go wrong with Zion but Tre’s defensive shutdown of Ponds gets my vote.

mapei
02-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Obviously the amazing Zion! But strong honorable mention to Tre for his defense and to Cam for setting the tone early.

flyingdutchdevil
02-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Really wanted to vote Bolden. But when you have the Ballerina on your team, it’s just not fair.

Sorry Bolden.

Billy Dat
02-02-2019, 02:11 PM
My vote for Tre is similar to the way Lebron rarely gets MVP consideration anymore and K never gets coach of the year consideration. Zion is the player of the year, and was amazing today. I am giving Tre the nod for his D on Ponds and Bolden gets 3rd for the same defense.

kako
02-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Jones did a great job on Ponds. But even if Ponds had gotten 20, Duke likely wins. So MOTM vote goes to Zion (yeah, again... but deservedly so).

9F

wsb3
02-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Zion was phenomenal but I am going with Jones. I was watching today and wondering when I have ever witnessed a better freshman guard on the defensive end.

Ballboy1998
02-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Obviously Zion was a total beast, but Tre holding Ponds to ZERO first half points set the tone for the whole game.

weezie
02-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Jones only gets tougher and tougher and tougher with each game. He got hit pretty hard late in the second half and came up slowly but with a smile. He knew how deep Duke had gotten into Shamori's head. Great intense effort.

Wander
02-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Jones did a great job on Ponds. But even if Ponds had gotten 20, Duke likely wins. So MOTM vote goes to Zion (yeah, again... but deservedly so).

By that logic, no one should get it, because "Duke likely wins" this game without any particular one player.

How often have bad freshman defenders cost us an NCAA tournament game recently? Tre deserves the MOTM today for how elite he was on defense, holding Ponds to zero points in the competitive part of the game. Ponds dropped 33 points on us last year!

BandAlum83
02-02-2019, 04:35 PM
By that logic, no one should get it, because "Duke likely wins" this game without any particular one player.

How often have bad freshman defenders cost us an NCAA tournament game recently? Tre deserves the MOTM today for how elite he was on defense, holding Ponds to zero points in the competitive part of the game. Ponds dropped 33 points on us last year!

A Duke win would have been a lot less likely without Zion today.

CameronBlue
02-02-2019, 04:49 PM
14 boards for Barrett really speaks volumes for me.

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2019, 05:09 PM
The offensive MOTM was Zion for sure.
The defensive MOTM was Tre. He completely took Ponds out of the game.
Zion also had 5 blocks, 2 steals and 6 rebounds, so he gets my MOTM vote.

BandAlum83
02-02-2019, 06:05 PM
The offensive MOTM was Zion for sure.
The defensive MOTM was Tre. He completely took Ponds out of the game.
Zion also had 5 blocks, 2 steals and 6 rebounds, so he gets my MOTM vote.

I loved how on at least one play Zion got the steal, but it was all because of Tre. Tre was completely frustrating Ponds while Z came around the back and picked his pocket for a runout.

Tre has incredible impact even when the steal/turnover isn't credited to him!

camion
02-02-2019, 07:26 PM
I voted for Zion on the main DBR page. Here I'm voting for Tre.

Both had amazing games.

jv001
02-02-2019, 08:05 PM

Both had amazing games.

I did the opposite. Tre on front page and Z here on MOTM. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-02-2019, 08:10 PM

Both had amazing games.

No wrong answer there...

moonpie23
02-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Both had amazing games.

yep......me too

Wahoo2000
02-02-2019, 09:47 PM
If this keeps up, you guys are going to have to start a "BESIDES Zion MOTM" thread after every game...

Devilwin
02-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Zion had one of the most dominant games I have ever seen by ANYONE in a Duke uniform. Kid is impossible to stop. So he got my vote. Tre was unreal on defense, holding a great player scoreless in the first half. Bolden had some great moments, as did Cam.
Turnover issues were negated by the otherwise great play.

elvis14
02-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Zion obviously the ZOTM. Nice games by Tre, RJ and Cam as well. But Zion outplayed everyone by a good bit.

Duke76
02-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Zion had one of the most dominant games I have ever seen by ANYONE in a Duke uniform. Kid is impossible to stop. So he got my vote. Tre was unreal on defense, holding a great player scoreless in the first half. Bolden had some great moments, as did Cam.
Turnover issues were negated by the otherwise great play.

looking forward to seeing how Tarholes try to stop him, not sure who they have that can match up with him down low...don't think the Luke can handle him

MarkD83
02-03-2019, 01:55 PM
looking forward to seeing how Tar Heels try to stop him, not sure who they have that can match up with him down low...don't think the Luke can handle him

In chapel hill the 3 guys in stripes might cover him. Luckily the first game is in Durham. Gthc

HereBeforeCoachK
02-03-2019, 02:57 PM
looking forward to seeing how Tar Heels try to stop him, not sure who they have that can match up with him down low...don't think the Luke can handle him

On no, Luke wan't no part of that. Over Under on how many Luke shots Zion puts in the stands? 2.5 I'd say.

Lar77
02-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Every starter had one of their best games.

I voted for Tre because he absolutely shut down Ponds until the game was out of reach. However, Zion had an unreal game after a slow start. He seemed bothered by St John's physical play initially, but they woke him up - big time. He ripped out the Johnnies' hearts with that end of half play.

Can anyone comment what was going on with the ref when the St John's guy was poking Zion on that inbounds play?