PDA

View Full Version : Top movies of summer 2019 (early discussion)

JasonEvans
02-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-man: FFH, Men In Black reboot, Detective Pikachu... yeah yeah yeah, I know it is going to be a big summer.

But, let's get this thread kicked off with a really funny and fun trailer, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lxu75r3-kI

I have not been a big fan of the F&F franchise, but this really looks good. They took the two most charismatic characters and built the whole thing around them.

-Jason "comments about 2019 summer films can go here until we open the actual poll thread in April" Evans

PackMan97
02-01-2019, 10:24 AM
I have not been a big fan of the F&F franchise, but this really looks good. They took the two most charismatic characters and built the whole thing around them.

LOL! The movie sounds so dumb (like all the F&F movies) but for some reason I was grinning through most of the trailer (like I am during most of the F&F movies).

Sometimes stupid fun is just what the doctor ordered. It's nice to see the F&F breakout of their genre and give the ol' buddy comedy a try. It certainly worked for Thor: Ragnarok.

I'm still waiting for the first RomCom spin off from the MCU or other universe.

thedukelamere
02-01-2019, 02:00 PM
LOL! The movie sounds so dumb (like all the F&F movies) but for some reason I was grinning through most of the trailer (like I am during most of the F&F movies).

Sometimes stupid fun is just what the doctor ordered. It's nice to see the F&F breakout of their genre and give the ol' buddy comedy a try. It certainly worked for Thor: Ragnarok.

I'm still waiting for the first RomCom spin off from the MCU or other universe.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SecondaryPrestigiousBumblebee-size_restricted.gif

BD80
02-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Spider-man: FFH, Men In Black reboot, Detective Pikachu... yeah yeah yeah, I know it is going to be a big summer.

But, let's get this thread kicked off with a really funny and fun trailer, shall we?

-Jason "comments about 2019 summer films can go here until we open the actual poll thread in April" Evans

So "The Rock" won the pissing contest with Vin Diesel?

JasonEvans
02-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Ok, so there is one hard and fast rule that I adhere to...

SUMMER DOES NOT START IN APRIL!!

The DBR Masses: "But Jason, Avengers 4 is going to be the dominant movie of the summer and it opens on April 26th. Are you really going to exclude Avengers from the summer contest?"

Jason, DBR game master: "No, of course not. But, summer does not start in April."

The DBR Masses: "Well, I'm officially confused."

Jason, DBR game master: "Allow me to explain..."

When the time come to pick our top 5 of summer, Avengers 4 will be an option. But, the boxoffice total will only count ticket sales after April 30th. We will check the boxoffice for Avengers 4 on April 30th and deduct that amount from the final boxoffice tally of Avengers 4. This means that if you choose to pick Avengers 4, you will probably have to subtract something in the range of $250 million from its boxoffice total to see if it make the top 5 movies of Summer. If it only makes $450 million, you could be in real trouble.

-Jason "I'm very excited about this solution to the internal conflict I was facing over what to do with Endgame and its April 26th opening date" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
02-10-2019, 01:27 PM

The DBR Masses: "But Jason, Avengers 4 is going to be the dominant movie of the summer and it opens on April 26th. Are you really going to exclude Avengers from the summer contest?"

Jason, DBR game master: "No, of course not. But, summer does not start in April."

When the time come to pick our top 5 of summer, Avengers 4 will be an option. But, the boxoffice total will only count ticket sales after April 30th. We will check the boxoffice for Avengers 4 on April 30th and deduct that amount from the final boxoffice tally of Avengers 4. This means that if you choose to pick Avengers 4, you will probably have to subtract something in the range of $250 million from its boxoffice total to see if it make the top 5 movies of Summer. If it only makes $450 million, you could be in real trouble.

-Jason "I'm very excited about this solution to the internal conflict I was facing over what to do with Endgame and its April 26th opening date" Evans

That's a really cool approach. Kudos! I'm thinking that even subtracting the opening weekend, A4 will still be in the top 5. Maybe not the top movie, but up there. The competition is crazy hard this summer.

camion
02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

When does summer end?

DU82
02-10-2019, 09:15 PM

No. Summer doesn’t stat until June officially, Memorialy Day unofficially. You didn’t cut off box office receipts after Labor Day/official first day of Fall, why would you think of doing the reverse here.

A4 is NOT a summer movie.

camion
02-10-2019, 11:40 PM
No. Summer doesn’t stat until June officially, Memorialy Day unofficially. You didn’t cut off box office receipts after Labor Day/official first day of Fall, why would you think of doing the reverse here.

Umpire Bill Klem reportedly said when asked if a pitch was a ball or a strike, “It ain’t nothing till I call it.”

Evans is in a position similar to Klem’s I would think. :)

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2019, 08:57 AM

Perhaps there should be a hard rule for that, too. Instead of waiting for the last movie of the summer to peter out, make there a definitive cut date for receipts like September somethingth. If the movie doesn't make enough bank by the cut date, even though if given time it could make the top 5, then tough patootie.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Well, because he runs the contest and makes all the rules? There's not anything at stake here other than maybe some sporks if you win big.

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2019, 09:49 AM
The first movie that I know I won't be voting for.

Will Smith's Genie looks awful. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disneys-aladdin-trailer-first-look-at-will-smith-as-genie/ar-BBTqhWD)

cato
02-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Perhaps there should be a hard rule for that, too. Instead of waiting for the last movie of the summer to peter out, make there a definitive cut date for receipts like September somethingth. If the movie doesn't make enough bank by the cut date, even though if given time it could make the top 5, then tough patootie.

We did that for at least one contest, and I recall the sixth place movie passing the fifth place movie only a short time after the cutoff.

DUKIECB
02-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Will Smith's Genie looks awful. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disneys-aladdin-trailer-first-look-at-will-smith-as-genie/ar-BBTqhWD)Wow! That's hideous. The kiddos will be having nightmares, heck maybe the adults too :)

JasonEvans
02-11-2019, 01:21 PM
We did that for at least one contest, and I recall the sixth place movie passing the fifth place movie only a short time after the cutoff.

In 2014 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes passed Amazing Spiderman 2 in late August to reach 5th place.
In 2012 Ted barely got 5ht place past Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, also in late August

But 2010 is the year I think you recall. Despicable Me was just a few hundred thousand short of Shrek Forever After on labor day. A week or two later and DM had taken 5th place. But, it was too late as we had closed the contest down.

The reason I am doing it this way with Endgame this year is because I want to put some uncertainty into picking Endgame. Essentially, you are lopping $250 mil (maybe more) off its boxoffice total. The film could be awful and it still would make $450 mil, but if it makes $450 mil, you are probably going to lose if you pick it. I think that is kinda fun and adds at least a tiny bit of uncertainty to the pick.

I have no plans to end the contest on Labor Day and not count boxoffice after that date as I want to give Hobbs and Shaw (Aug 2 release date) a fighting chance. Maybe we will say Sept 30th as a closing date as I suspect Hobbs and Shaw will be finished with its meaningful run by then.

-Jason "Avengers Age of Ultron made $459mil... if Endgame only matches that total, picking it won't work" Evans

camion
02-11-2019, 02:01 PM

It happens all of the time on the track. A runner will break the tape only to be passed immediately by a second runner who kicked too late. The second runner still didn't win and that's fine as long as the rules are known at the beginning.

DU82
02-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Well, because he runs the contest and makes all the rules? There's not anything at stake here other than maybe some sporks if you win big.

I understand, just stating my preference. I’ll still participate and select poorly as I have done in the past.

(Why didn’t you all run out and see Passengers!)

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2019, 03:22 PM
I know A4 is gonna make tons and tons of money. But as a casual observer of Marvel movies, I'm not seeing it, since I have no idea what the hell is going on, and I'm sure not gonna watch all the other movies and tie ins to figure it out. (I haven't even watched the streaming movies for the same reason, too damn confusing.) I do watch the firsts of movies, like GOTG, and Antman. Even watched the GOTG sequel. But once those story lines start intersecting to soap opera proportions, meh.

Is there a chance this one "suffers" because of folks like me? Maybe keeping it "merely" at the numbers of the last one?

JNort
02-11-2019, 07:55 PM
I understand, just stating my preference. I’ll still participate and select poorly as I have done in the past.

(Why didn’t you all run out and see Passengers!)

A true DBR past time if I've ever heard one.

JasonEvans
02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
There is no no no no no way this film makes our top 5. None, not gonna happen, forget about it.

But what a fun concept and I will watch anything Danny Boyle makes. Man gets hit by bus, wakes up in a world where no one has heard of The Beatles so the man becomes a global superstar by playing Beatles songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=169&v=H3VeHyedL1U

-Jason "Yesterday hits theaters in June" Evans

PackMan97
02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
-Jason "Avengers Age of Ultron made $459mil... if Endgame only matches that total, picking it won't work" Evans

If A4 does not pass Ultron I will change my username on DBR to HeelMan97.

wilson
02-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Will Smith's Genie looks awful. (https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disneys-aladdin-trailer-first-look-at-will-smith-as-genie/ar-BBTqhWD)

Wow! That's hideous. The kiddos will be having nightmares, heck maybe the adults too :)I'm curious...y'all just think it's weird because he's blue? Looks fine to me.
Admittedly, I am an easy target for this film and will undoubtedly spend my money.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm curious...y'all just think it's weird because he's blue? Looks fine to me.
Admittedly, I am an easy target for this film and will undoubtedly spend my money.

Not because he is blue. He's supposed to blue. This is a live action remake of the animated version.
I think he looks awful because it looks like awful animation for his character. His head looks wayyyy too disembodied. And if that is a glimpse of some of his best dialogue, bleah.
When you watch the animated version, Genie is Genie! Not Robin Williams. This Genie? Ginormous smurfy Will Smith, and for the most part, only Will Smith.

luburch
02-12-2019, 11:41 AM
I'm curious...y'all just think it's weird because he's blue? Looks fine to me.

I'm with you. Not exactly sure what people expected him to look like, but I thought he was fine.

PackMan97
02-12-2019, 12:06 PM
I'm with you. Not exactly sure what people expected him to look like, but I thought he was fine.

I think it's the uncanny valley. He like Will Smith but not Will Smith. He also sounds exactly like Will Smith. It's just wrong. I think if they hadn't used his likeness or works be better.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2019, 12:37 PM
HA!! The internet agrees in the badness...

For fans of the original concerned that Aladdin might not be able to pull off the translation to live-action, the new trailer did not inspire any hope. Smith is not the only problem the new footage features, but it remains the most prominent and the sheer strangeness of it highlights a problem the movie and Disney cannot ignore: The genie looks bad.

https://screenrant.com/aladdin-will-smith-genie-blue-bad-why/

Some of the Twitter responses I've read are hilarious.

-jk
02-12-2019, 06:47 PM
There is no no no no no way this film makes our top 5. None, not gonna happen, forget about it.

But what a fun concept and I will watch anything Danny Boyle makes. Man gets hit by bus, wakes up in a world where no one has heard of The Beatles so the man becomes a global superstar by playing Beatles songs.

I'm gonna see it. (Maybe at home, a bit later...)

-jk

BD80
02-13-2019, 03:41 PM

I wish they had gone with "Hey Dude" for the title!

Reddevil
02-14-2019, 01:10 PM
If A4 does not pass Ultron I will change my username on DBR to HeelMan97.

In the event something extremely unlikely occurs. I appeal to the mods to not allow this to happen.:eek:

PackMan97
02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
In the event something extremely unlikely occurs. I appeal to the mods to not allow this to happen.:eek:

I have already been contacted by a mod. Don't worry...it's happening.

devildeac
02-14-2019, 02:26 PM
I have already been contacted by a mod. Don't worry...it's happening.

We attend about 1 movie a year. We may have to see this several hundred times to prevent the name change. :rolleyes:

JasonEvans
02-25-2019, 12:43 PM
No one... NO ONE... is more committed to marketing their films than Ryan Reynolds. He is a true hero!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=V3_LgIDqOwo

PackMan97
02-25-2019, 02:06 PM
No one... NO ONE... is more committed to marketing their films than Ryan Reynolds. He is a true hero!

It's almost as if he's trying to atone for The Green Lantern. Still a long way to go Ryan, a long long way.

El_Diablo
02-25-2019, 02:29 PM
In 2014 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes passed Amazing Spiderman 2 in late August to reach 5th place.
In 2012 Ted barely got 5ht place past Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, also in late August

But 2010 is the year I think you recall. Despicable Me was just a few hundred thousand short of Shrek Forever After on labor day. A week or two later and DM had taken 5th place. But, it was too late as we had closed the contest down.

In 2015, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation handily passed Pitch Perfect 2, but it was after the contest's cutoff, so Pitch Perfect 2 was credited as #5. In winter 2010, Little Fockers squeaked by Megamind, but it was after a cutoff date that was imposed well into the contest (after voting had occurred and the movies had come out), so Megamind was controversially credited as #5. I recall these because I came up on the short end of both cutoffs, losing out on a 5-for-5 finish in 2015. #NeverForget

Wander
02-25-2019, 02:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=94&v=V3_LgIDqOwo

Do I detect some nervousness?

JasonEvans
02-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Do I detect some nervousness?

Not even remotely.

For folks who do not recall, Wander and I have a bet. Toy Story 4 must beat Detective Pikachu by $200 mil in total boxoffice. If Pikachu is within $200 mil, I have to change my avatar to a Pikchu for a week and will post many messages praising Wander's brilliance. If TS4 makes $200+ mil more, then Wander will have a Toy Story logo for a week and will spend his time professing to my genius.

I'm thinking this guy would make a fine avatar:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/09/11/15/44290E3700000578-4873192-Commenters_were_quick_to_point_out_the_similaritie s_to_the_Toy_S-m-3_1505141704938.jpg

Nick
02-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Interesting: Rotten Tomatoes has disabled the "want to see" section of its site (http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/). This comes in the wake of a lot of negative comments left about Captain Marvel as well as a number of articles about said comments. In light of Solo's flop last year, I'm now curious to see how Captain Marvel does at the box office to see if there's anything to this or if it was just a bunch of trolls/bots/etc.

bigperm13
02-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Interesting: Rotten Tomatoes has disabled the "want to see" section of its site (http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/). This comes in the wake of a lot of negative comments left about Captain Marvel as well as a number of articles about said comments. In light of Solo's flop last year, I'm now curious to see how Captain Marvel does at the box office to see if there's anything to this or if it was just a bunch of trolls/bots/etc.

Interesting development.

BD80
02-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Are there really that many insecure men that are threatened by the success of a movie about an extremely powerful female superhero? SMH.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just sad.

BLPOG
02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Are there really that many insecure men that are threatened by the success of a movie about an extremely powerful female superhero? SMH.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just sad.

Of course not. But there are always, out of a field of hundreds of millions, some people with a lot of time on their hands and a willingness to troll.

PackMan97
02-27-2019, 01:30 PM

I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies. In addition, if you adjusted for inflation, The Last Jedi doesn't even beat what most consider the worst of the Star Wars films, The Phantom Menace.

I think those expecting numbers close to Black Panther will be disappointed in Captain Marvel. Trolls will certainly use that as a validation of their point of view. That said, I think anything close to $400 million will be a huge success.

JasonEvans
02-27-2019, 02:46 PM
I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies.

There have only been 2 movies. One of them has to be "the lowest" of the third trilogy. The Last Jedi is the 8th highest grossing movie of all time with $620 million at the domestic boxoffice. It only looks a "bomb" compared to The Force Awakens. It is sorta like calling Kevin McHale a failure because he wasn't as good as Larry Bird.

That said, there was a lot not to like about Last Jedi.

I think those expecting numbers close to Black Panther will be disappointed in Captain Marvel. Trolls will certainly use that as a validation of their point of view. That said, I think anything close to $400 million will be a huge success.

Sorta like Guardians (especially Guardians 2) there is supposedly going to be a lot of weird cosmic stuff in this film that may keep it from having the kind of crossover appeal that more grounded Marvel movies do. Also, I have been told that it is decidedly less funny than many recent Marvel films (still has humor, but not nearly like Ragnarok, Guardians, Ant Man, or the Iron Man films).

-Jason "I think something like $350-400 is probably where it will end up, which is a remarkable number for a non-sequel" Evans

PackMan97
02-27-2019, 03:12 PM
There have only been 2 movies. One of them has to be "the lowest" of the third trilogy. The Last Jedi is the 8th highest grossing movie of all time with $620 million at the domestic boxoffice. It only looks a "bomb" compared to The Force Awakens. It is sorta like calling Kevin McHale a failure because he wasn't as good as Larry Bird.

Well, I certainly did put enough qualifiers on that I would hope someone would pick up on that.

Nick
02-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Not related to movies, but possibly of interest to this audience since it involves Hollywood accounting: an arbitrator has just given a $179 MM verdict against Fox Studios (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/fox-rocked-by-179-million-bones-ruling-lying-cheating-reprehensible-studio-fraud-1190346), claiming they screwed over the stars, producer, and creator via their accounting:

The decision, made earlier this month but until now a secret, pertains to the Fox-produced series Bones, which starred David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel and ran on the Fox network between 2005 and 2017. But the 66-page ruling by arbitrator Peter Lichtman, who concludes Fox executives lied, cheated and committed fraud at the expense of the show’s stars and executive producer Barry Josephson, is about a whole lot more. The nearly $200 million award amounts to the second largest in television industry history, after a 2011 jury verdict punishing Disney to the tune of $319 million over profit-sharing for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. It will not only put Murdoch’s Fox sale in a whole new light, but may also raise questions about the future viability of Hulu, plus any platform enjoying what’s pejoratively known as “Hollywood accounting.” The ruling also comes as the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed to stand another mega-merger between AT&T and Time Warner, an example of vertical integration between a distributor of content and a producer.

...But along with other profits fights over long-running hit shows — among them, AMC’s The Walking Dead, Disney’s Home Improvement and Warner Bros.’ Supernatural — the dispute raised a big question about whether profits could ever be expected when one arm of a corporation is making deals with another arm. That’s because the studio is responsible for selling the show on the open market, and after collecting this money and deducting the cost of production, the studio sends out checks to those entitled to a share of profits. If expenses outweigh income, the show runs a deficit. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the show isn’t making good money — at least, for someone, elsewhere.

It’s possible that the studio just isn’t charging enough for rights to exhibit the show, whether it’s streamed online or broadcast on a television. Streaming platforms hawk subscriptions. Television networks sell advertisements and take in additional revenue from cable and satellite companies. Such money doesn't directly go to profit participants. So if a studio is within the same corporate structure as a streamer or broadcaster, an underhanded way for the parent company to derive the spoils from a show (to the detriment of executive producers and stars) may be to undercharge licensing fees to its sister companies.

That’s exactly what the Bones profit participants alleged was happening.

brevity
02-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Looking forward to next month’s Deschanel Family Newsletter. Caleb gets his 6th Oscar nomination for cinematography, and Emily wins a multimillion dollar settlement from FOX. Will Zooey even merit a blurb?

JasonEvans
02-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Looking forward to next month’s Deschanel Family Newsletter. Caleb gets his 6th Oscar nomination for cinematography, and Emily wins a multimillion dollar settlement from FOX. Will Zooey even merit a blurb?

I'll predict right now that Caleb, one of the all-time great cinematographers, will get nomination #7 next year for his work on The Lion King. Based on what I have seen/heard, that film is going to be gorgeous.

Nick
02-28-2019, 09:09 AM
-Jason "I think something like $350-400 is probably where it will end up, which is a remarkable number for a non-sequel" Evans

Somebody averaged a bunch of predictions at /r/boxoffice and came up with an estimate of $143MM opening weekend and $400MM total domestic.

In other news, "Avengers: Endgame" is forecast to have a $280MM opening weekend (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/still-super-avengers-is-forecast-to-set-box-office-record) when it opens in late April, which is even higher than what "Infinity War" did.

JasonEvans
03-06-2019, 12:08 PM
So, here is the latest trailer for Brightburn, the James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) produced film that is basically "What if Superman was evil?"

I am a little bothered that it feels like the trailer shows almost the entire film... I mean, the scenes at the end of the trailer almost certainly have to be from the final half hour of the film, if not the actual climax. Sigh...

Still, Superman as a horror film... I'm in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=156&v=rpiypAMXvSk

JasonEvans
03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Somebody averaged a bunch of predictions at /r/boxoffice and came up with an estimate of $143MM opening weekend and $400MM total domestic.

I'll be mildly shocked if Cap. Marvel gets to $400 mil. I think word of mouth will be very lukewarm (not bad, but not great either).

Reddevil
03-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Captain Marvel will do better than it should simply because of the investment in this movie arc. I did not really want to see Dr. Strange, but I watched it on Netflix because I thought it would enhance my understanding of Infinite War which it did.

Acymetric
03-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Ok, I'm jumping into this thread way late...I'll not re-start the debate about how summer is defined although of course I have strong opinions but I had a few other thoughts.

I think this is a serious dark horse for top 5. The Beatles are...fairly popular.

Captain Marvel will do better than it should simply because of the investment in this movie arc. I did not really want to see Dr. Strange, but I watched it on Netflix because I thought it would enhance my understanding of Infinite War which it did.

I really liked Dr. Strange! One of my favorite movies from the MCU so far. Maybe I'm alone there.

I would say that the negative comments about Solo last year were more about Solo sucking. A better comparison would be toward The Last Jedi which was similarly targeted. Which as you know was a significant box office bomb, being the lowest grossing of the third trilogy of movies. In addition, if you adjusted for inflation, The Last Jedi doesn't even beat what most consider the worst of the Star Wars films, The Phantom Menace.

The disappointing thing about Solo is that it wasn't a bad movie, it just got a ton of bad press and came on the heels of a very poorly received Last Jedi. I'm still kicking myself for not seeing Solo in theaters now that I've seen it. Last Jedi​ certainly did well, but I think mostly because nobody believed they wouldn't like it so everyone went to see it. I wonder how many of the $620 mil came from people who would like their money back. It wasn't a financial bomb, but it was certainly poorly received at least by some and I think it directly caused the poor showing for Solo.

bigperm13
03-07-2019, 03:58 AM
Solo was a disaster from the jump. The casting, especially the lead/title character. Changing directors was sloppy. Release date too soon after TLJ. They should have held onto the Friday before Christmas slot like the other 3 films since the return of Star Wars movies. Hollywood figured America could never get enough Star Wars (or Lego for that matter). Well, it can. I enjoyed Solo and saw it twice in the theaters but it was doomed to fail.

Nick
03-18-2019, 12:49 PM
I'll be mildly shocked if Cap. Marvel gets to $400 mil. I think word of mouth will be very lukewarm (not bad, but not great either).

$266MM after 10 days with a relatively mild 55% drop vs opening weekend. Does this project to $400MM+?

JasonEvans
03-19-2019, 08:30 AM
$266MM after 10 days with a relatively mild 55% drop vs opening weekend. Does this project to $400MM+?

Hard to say at this point, but it probably comes up a little short. By comparison Civil War was at $295 mil after 10 days and ended up at $408 million; Iron Man 3 was at $284 mil and ended up at $409 mil. Captain Marvel would need to show slightly stronger legs than those two films to get to $400 mil. Don't forget that we are at a time of year when the mid-week business won't be quite as strong as it is in the summer.

Devilwin
03-21-2019, 09:40 PM

Maybe you have to be a Beatle fan to appreciate it, but since I am, I want to see it! Looks good to me!
As for A4, I'd rather watch paint dry...

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Tickets went on sale yesterday and Fandango is already reporting that "Endgame" broke its pre-sale records, topping the previous holder, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/captain-marvel-crosses-1-billion-mark-star-brie-205421189--abc-news-celebrities.html

Acymetric
04-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Tickets went on sale yesterday and Fandango is already reporting that "Endgame" broke its pre-sale records, topping the previous holder, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/captain-marvel-crosses-1-billion-mark-star-brie-205421189--abc-news-celebrities.html

When does the actual picking happen? I feel like we should have picked before we knew this (although I would guess almost nobody was not going to pick Endgame regardless).

JasonEvans
04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
When does the actual picking happen? I feel like we should have picked before we knew this (although I would guess almost nobody was not going to pick Endgame regardless).

I will probably start the poll next week. Please note, as previously stated, everything Endgame earns before May 1 will not count in the Endgame totals. It is highly likely there will be something like $300 mil of boxoffice that will not count in our contest.

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2019, 02:41 PM
I will probably start the poll next week. Please note, as previously stated, everything Endgame earns before May 1 will not count in the Endgame totals. It is highly likely there will be something like $300 mil of boxoffice that will not count in our contest.

If it makes a billion dollars, which is also highly likely, it won't matter.

JasonEvans
04-10-2019, 10:58 AM
This looks stunning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=108&v=7TavVZMewpY

pfrduke
04-10-2019, 11:57 AM
That's a great trailer. I didn't see the Jungle Book - did they make the animals look as realistic there? The verisimilitude is really impressive.

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2019, 01:04 PM
That's a great trailer. I didn't see the Jungle Book - did they make the animals look as realistic there? The verisimilitude is really impressive.

For the most part. I didn't think the CGI was as good as it looks here, though, and all in all it was a rather forgettable movie. This one looks like it would not be smart to leave off a top 5 list.

Acymetric
04-10-2019, 01:07 PM
For the most part. I didn't think the CGI was as good as it looks here, though, and all in all it was a rather forgettable movie. This one looks like it would not be smart to leave off a top 5 list.

Is there that​ much demand for a realistic CGI remake of the Lion King?

Reddevil
04-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Is there that​ much demand for a realistic CGI remake of the Lion King?

I would assume so since many of the kids that saw the original now have kids of their own. Several generations will probably line up for this one. People like me that somehow missed seeing it (along with E.T. somehow) will go see this one.

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2019, 01:34 PM
The original is a classic, and it spawned a huge hit on Broadway. I don't see this remake being anything but a monster success.

LegoBatman
04-10-2019, 02:00 PM
I predict Lion King will be like Titanic - no one is going to go see it because we already know how it ends.

camion
04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
I predict Lion King will be like Titanic - no one is going to go see it because we already know how it ends.

I predict no one will go see it because it is sold out everywhere.

BD80
04-10-2019, 03:26 PM
I predict no one will go see it because it is sold out everywhere.

The crowds will definitely keep people away ...

DU82
04-10-2019, 06:52 PM
The correct Yogism is “Nobody goes there, it’s too crowded.”