PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hurley update

JasonEvans
02-01-2019, 08:11 AM
This just in... his ball handling skills are not what they once were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7jD8Wx3ls

https://deadspin.com/if-youve-been-waiting-all-these-years-to-see-bobby-hurl-1832252317

Meanwhile, congrats to Bobby on beating Arizona. I think Washington is the best team in the one-bid Pac 12 this season, but ASU is in second just in case the NCAA decides to give 2 bids to that lousy league.

-Jason "be warned, that link contains some criticism of Bobby, but it is still kinda funny" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
02-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Meanwhile, congrats to Bobby on beating Arizona. I think Washington is the best team in the one-bid Pac 12 this season, but ASU is in second just in case the NCAA decides to give 2 bids to that lousy league.

-Jason "be warned, that link contains some criticism of Bobby, but it is still kinda funny" Evans

On the upside Jason, in an attempt to really vilify Hurley, the writer called Laettner enjoyable. (talk about history revision to make a point....)

DukieInKansas
02-01-2019, 10:40 AM
ASU did beat AU to get Hurley's first win against AU.

Coach Hurley ran sprints for each of the 92 points they lost to AU by since he started coaching.

Intense is still a great description for Hurley.

Steven43
02-01-2019, 10:57 AM
On the upside Jason, in an attempt to really vilify Hurley, the writer called Laettner enjoyable. (talk about history revision to make a point...)

If you’re a white guy who plays for Duke and are a very good player who is intense, tough, and competitive you will be widely vilified. This has been going on for 30 years without letup. It’s completely absurd and ridiculous, but it is reality. And I know I’m preaching to the choir.

follyblue
02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
I have a vague recollection that Hurley had incredible stamina/cardio skills in college and could "fill up the screen" on a step machine during his college years even though he was a closet smoker. Not surprised he could still knock out 92 sprints today.

JDNC64
02-01-2019, 01:18 PM
When the time comes, Bobby is the one I want to come back home.

Steven43
02-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Agree

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-01-2019, 01:40 PM
If you’re a white guy who plays for Duke and are a very good player who is intense, tough, and competitive you will be widely vilified. This has been going on for 30 years without letup. It’s completely absurd and ridiculous, but it is reality. And I know I’m preaching to the choir.

Counterpoint: Jack White.

Steven43
02-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Counterpoint: Jack White.
Jack White does not qualify under my definition of “very good”. Plus, he’s not from the United States. I think that changes things as well.

Troublemaker
02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Jack White does not qualify under my definition of “very good”. Plus, he’s not from the United States. I think that changes things as well.

Do you still think Jack will be All-ACC next year?

Anyway, Jack's a very good role player for sure. I think what you meant is that he's not the star of the team or someone who received a lot of attention like Grayson, Christian, Bobby, etc.

PackMan97
02-01-2019, 02:53 PM
All bad thoughts about Hurley went away when he had "the accident". Glad to see him beat one of the Miller clan.

Steven43
02-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Do you still think Jack will be All-ACC next year?

Anyway, Jack's a very good role player for sure. I think what you meant is that he's not the star of the team or someone who received a lot of attention like Grayson, Christian, Bobby, etc.
Yes, that is what I meant.

And no, at this point I do not think Jack White will be All-ACC. But then I never said that I thought he would be. What I said was I thought he had the POTENTIAL to be on one of the All-ACC teams as a senior. That would include All-ACC Honorable Mention. Never did I say or mean to imply that I thought he would be First Team All-ACC.

AZLA
02-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Got to see Hurley and Sun Devils play a game at home last year. That team was a little bit better than this year's and their guard play was incredible. Anyhow, it was an extremely fun basketball atmosphere. Saw Grant who was in town visiting too. The Curtain of distraction is hilarious: https://youtu.be/vZWtcTkUZ0A.

But watching Hurley coach was truly entertaining to watch. His level of intensity while coaching mirrors his playing, and even more. He's at a level 10 and stays at level 10. But you can also tell he's picked up some good techniques that are consistent and noteworthy in his approach. When there's a break in time -- he immediately steps aside -- away from the team and formulates his game plan. Doesn't talk to anyone, just contemplates his strategy (or corrals his thoughts and gets focused). Then once the team is settled and he has an audience. He dives into the game plan. He definitely employees the Coach K (and Bob Senior's) approach to communicating to the refs, always consistently intense, but generally goes up to the line but does not cross it (most of the time). My point is that there is nothing he does from a leadership/behavior standpoint that is not calculated and practiced over years spent playing and coaching the sport. He's 100% in his element and appears to get the best effort out of his young players.

jv001
02-01-2019, 03:52 PM

It would be great to see Bobby getting after TV Teddy. It seems Bobby hasn't lost much of that fire he displayed at Duke. GoDuke!

BandAlum83
02-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Got to see Hurley and Sun Devils play a game at home last year. That team was a little bit better than this year's and their guard play was incredible. Anyhow, it was an extremely fun basketball atmosphere. Saw Grant who was in town visiting too. The Curtain of distraction is hilarious: https://youtu.be/vZWtcTkUZ0A.

But watching Hurley coach was truly entertaining to watch. His level of intensity while coaching mirrors his playing, and even more. He's at a level 10 and stays at level 10. But you can also tell he's picked up some good techniques that are consistent and noteworthy in his approach. When there's a break in time -- he immediately steps aside -- away from the team and formulates his game plan. Doesn't talk to anyone, just contemplates his strategy (or corrals his thoughts and gets focused). Then once the team is settled and he has an audience. He dives into the game plan. He definitely employees the Coach K (and Bob Senior's) approach to communicating to the refs, always consistently intense, but generally goes up to the line but does not cross it (most of the time). My point is that there is nothing he does from a leadership/behavior standpoint that is not calculated and practiced over years spent playing and coaching the sport. He's 100% in his element and appears to get the best effort out of his young players.

I love that curtain of distraction!

gus
02-01-2019, 04:57 PM
This just in... his ball handling skills are not what they once were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7jD8Wx3ls

https://deadspin.com/if-youve-been-waiting-all-these-years-to-see-bobby-hurl-1832252317

Bobby was used to dishing, not catching.

I tried to find a video of one his passes hitting someone who wasn't paying intention. Instead I found the 1989 McDonald's game, where Hurley had 10 assists, and even drew a charge from co-MVP, Shaq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7howWaITJw

CamrnCrz1974
02-01-2019, 05:34 PM
I love that curtain of distraction!

Agree! It was a really creative idea by the ASU fanbase.

I was at the ASU-UCLA game last year. I have been to a few ASU-UA games over the past few years. In previous years, Arizona fans had at least have of Wells Fargo Arena (ASU's stadium). But the environment the past two years under Hurley has been completely different. It is packed with ASU fans, many of them students, and it is loud. It is really great to see what he has created.