PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Player Poll Final 8- Dawkins vs. Hurley

JasonEvans
11-01-2007, 10:11 AM
DON'T VOTE YET!!!

I urge everyone to take a few moments to think about it before voting. Read some of the notes in this thread (and post your own thoughts!!) to see if they jog a memory or help you crystalize your feelings. Then, once you are sure, then vote for your favorite among these two:

#4 seed- Johnny Dawkins-
How he got here:

Defeated Robert Brickey with 92.76% of the vote
Defeated Shelden Williams with 83.54% of the vote

Notable memories/achievements

Was THE PLAYER who started it all for Coach K.
When everyone else on the 1986 team inexplicably went into the tank offensively in the NCAAs, he carried us to (almost) the promissed land with 24points.
Great post-season player averaging almost 24 ppg in his NCAA tourney career
Pwning David Rivers on the final play of the nationally televised game in 1986.
Career high 34 points (and had 8 borads and 4 assists too) as #2 Duke crushed #6 UNC in Chapel Hill in a huge nationally televised game in 1985 (shortly after I chose Duke as my school... what a way to join the fanaticism!!)
Coach K's closest confidant for the past decade
Nolan Smith's "uncle"
#24 retired by Duke

#5 seed Bobby Hurley-
How he got here:

Defeated Jay Bilas with 90.91% of the vote
Defeated Chris Carrawell with 77.64% of the vote

NCAAs all-time career leader in assists
2-time national champion and MVP of of the Final Four in 1992
Puking his guts out while getting pummeled by UNLV in 1990
With 2:00 left and the announcers screaming "they don't need a 3" pulling up and hitting the HUGE clutch 3 against UNLV in 1991 to bring Duke within 2 and sending the message that UNLV would not win!!
Saved the best for last-- career high in his final game, 32 points and 9 assists versus Cal and Jason Kidd in 1993
K's videotape of Bobby whining to the refs after his freshman season, which turned Bobby into the stud he was as a soph and beyond
#11 retired by Duke

--Jason "this one will be a war!! I cannot decide who I will vote for" Evans

Shammrog
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
For me, the first tough one.

I can't *not* vote for Bobby. He was my class. And, a special part was how vividly (partly because I was there) we got to see him grow into a warrior and a legend in his time at Duke. How we got our *** kicked by UNLV in 1990, and came back under Bobby's leadership to redeem ourselves the next year. Johnny too was and is a legend, but Bobby for me was the player who personally most defined what has become my lifelong love affair with Duke basketball.

MulletMan
11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I voted for JD. While Hurley was amazing and was the catalyst for our first 2 titles, I still feel like JD was the catalyst for our program. Silk shmoove jumper, quick as all get out, and a winner. Stats be damned, this is a favorite player poll, and I just feel like JD's the man over Bobby.

blazindw
11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
A true test...both were amazing players, and both took our program to new heights. My vote goes to the man that helped bring Duke to where it is today, both as a player and now as a coach. In a squeaker...my vote's for JD.

Jfrosh
11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh the pain, the pain of it all. I cannot. I refuse. I can't vote against either of these guys. JD was a god, so silky smooth. Hurley, although he drove me crazy his freshman year, did things I have never seen again with his passes. My head is going to explode.:confused:

johnb
11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Who's the better player? If former Duke players were picking sides, I think Dawkins would go first more often.

Who's given more to Duke? Hurley was a big winner, but JD has been instrumental in shifting us from episodic championship-level hoops to a 20 year binge of greatness.

I loved watching Hurley develop, both as a person and player. I really admire his gutsiness. I felt like a relative had been nearly killed when he had his car wreck. I liked the fact that he tended to wear his emotions more on his sleeve, and JD generally appears less emotional/enthusiastic.

The proof is, however, in the pudding. JD came back to Duke after an NBA career. He has refused head coaching offers. He is probably K's closest confidante. He is vital, vital to the program. Bobby left over 15 years ago.

Go Johnny!

phaedrus
11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Too close for me. I'm waiting for more people to post arguments one way or the other.

Highlander
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Johnny Dawkins was the favorite player of a little 10 year old boy who cried himself to sleep when Duke lost to Louisville in the NCAA championship game. Had he had the benefit of a three point shot, he would have likely also been a National Champion, and almost certainly would still hold the Duke scoring record over JJ. He started it all for Duke, and for me. "24" to me will never mean Jack Bauer, but JD.

Hurley is one of, if not the best, point guards to ever play the game in College. But Johnny Dawkins is my all time favorite player.

JasonEvans
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Early returns - it is 15-13 Bobby. I told ya'll this one would be a war!!

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
That song Who's Johnny by El DeBarge was popular when JD played at Duke. I remember, after a Duke loss, my friend Steve (an avid Carolina fan) started taunting me by singing that song, as if to say, "Johnny D didn't show up tonight!"

I really didn't need to respond. I mean, afterall, here's a UNC fan singing El DeBarge. That says it all doesn't it?

UNC = 142

-EarlJam

mph
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I expect to struggle with all of the match-ups from here on out. It was hard for me to make this decision based on statistics or on-the-court accomplishments. My reason for choosing Dawkins was more personal. I was 14 when the 86 team made their run to the finals and had their been no Johnny Dawkins I would probably have never been a Duke fan. I loved Bobby Hurley, but for me Dawkins was the first Dukie.

Udaman
11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Dawkins was great, no doubt, and if there had been a 3 point shot when he was here, not only would he hold the Duke record for points, he would likely be the NCAA leader as well.

That being said, Hurley is still the NCAA assists leader, and he graduated 14 years ago. He also led our team to two championships, and hit the greatest shot in Duke history (his 3 pointer to cut the lead to 2 against UNLV was one of the biggest clutch shots in the history of basketball, let alone Duke).

Also, his run of games right before he set the NCAA assists record was amazing. If I recall he needed something like 9 a game to get there for 6 games, and there was talk about him not doing it, and then he ran off 13,15,16,18 or something like that to simply crush it.

I enjoyed both players, but Hurley gets my vote.

Incidentally, it's not going to matter because Battier, Laettner or JJ is going to win.

Bluedawg
11-01-2007, 11:14 AM
DON'T VOTE YET!!!

I urge everyone to take a few moments to think about it before voting. Read some of the notes in this thread (and post your own thoughts!!) to see if they jog a memory or help you crystalize your feelings. Then, once you are sure, then vote for your favorite among these two:

#4 seed- Johnny Dawkins-
How he got here:

Defeated Robert Brickey with 92.76% of the vote
Defeated Shelden Williams with 83.54% of the vote

Was THE PLAYER who started it all for Coach K.
When everyone else on the 1986 team inexplicably went into the tank offensively in the NCAAs, he carried us to (almost) the promissed land with 24points.
Great post-season player averaging almost 24 ppg in his NCAA tourney career
Pwning David Rivers on the final play of the nationally televised game in 1986.
Career high 34 points (and had 8 borads and 4 assists too) as #2 Duke crushed #6 UNC in Chapel Hill in a huge nationally televised game in 1985 (shortly after I chose Duke as my school... what a way to join the fanaticism!!)
Coach K's closest confidant for the past decade
Nolan Smith's "uncle"
#24 retired by Duke

--Jason "this one will be a war!! I cannot decide who I will vote for" Evans

Nolan Smith's "uncle"...really?

Bluedawg
11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Easy choice...JD all the way!

hurleyfor3
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM
NCAAs all-time career leader in assists

Not only that, he got the record on Senior Night.

2-time national champion and MVP of of the Final Four in 1992

We were undefeated in '92 in games in which he played at full strength

Puking his guts out while getting pummeled by UNLV in 1990

I don't remember this specifically, so I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what he did do that was mentioned by Coach in the postgame interview was crapping his pants (literally) against Arkansas in the semifinal.

With 2:00 left and the announcers screaming "they don't need a 3" pulling up and hitting the HUGE clutch 3 against UNLV in 1991 to bring Duke within 2 and sending the message that UNLV would not win!!

By "the announcers" I think you mean Packer. I don't recall Bob Harris saying anything about this.

Saved the best for last-- career high in his final game, 32 points and 9 assists versus Cal and Jason Kidd in 1993

Also the season high for any Duke player that year. He singlehandedly brought Duke back from 19 down, and for a posesson or two Duke had the lead. I wish he were going up against JJ so I could pound this point home a little more mercilessly.

#11 retired by Duke

As a UNC fan friend put it, he had to wear 11 because that's the only number that would fit.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I voted Hurley, but the Dawkins memories inspired me to conduct a search on You Tube. Ran across this - the final two minutes of the '86 championship game. While we lost, it's still interesting to watch. I had forgotten just how close that game was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB_5zFcBDV4

-EarlJam

SilkyJ
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I voted for JD. While Hurley was amazing and was the catalyst for our first 2 titles, I still feel like JD was the catalyst for our program. Silk shmoove jumper, quick as all get out, and a winner.

you meany like a Silky, J? ;)

Easy choice...JD all the way!

SO NOT EASY. I went with my gut, I love the little white-guys that could.

As a UNC fan friend put it, he had to wear 11 because that's the only number that would fit.

I don't get it...

Jfrosh
11-01-2007, 11:41 AM
I expect to struggle with all of the match-ups from here on out. It was hard for me to make this decision based on statistics or on-the-court accomplishments. My reason for choosing Dawkins was more personal. I was 14 when the 86 team made their run to the finals and had their been no Johnny Dawkins I would probably have never been a Duke fan. I loved Bobby Hurley, but for me Dawkins was the first Dukie.

This helped sway me. I never really followed college basketball until getting to Duke. My love for Duke basketball started with that 86 team and most specifically Johnny Dawkins.

johnb
11-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Nolan Smith's "uncle"...really?

Nolan's father was Derek Smith, a former NBA teammate of Dawkins. Derek Smith died in 1996, and JD stepped up to the plate and acted as de facto 'uncle' to 7 year old Nolan. Little Nolan happened to grow up to be a great player on a great team, and his recruitment--from what I understand--was a slam dunk.

phaedrus
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Not only that, he got the record on Senior Night.

We were undefeated in '92 in games in which he played at full strength

I don't remember this specifically, so I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what he did do that was mentioned by Coach in the postgame interview was crapping his pants (literally) against Arkansas in the semifinal.

By "the announcers" I think you mean Packer. I don't recall Bob Harris saying anything about this.

Also the season high for any Duke player that year. He singlehandedly brought Duke back from 19 down, and for a posesson or two Duke had the lead. I wish he were going up against JJ so I could pound this point home a little more mercilessly.

so... who'd you vote for?

elvis14
11-01-2007, 11:50 AM
VOTE FOR BOBBY HURLEY!!!

This one's easy, vote for Bobby! Championships, assists records, heart. Plus its seemed like when you were watching back then Hurley had that knack for hitting the 3 or making a big play just at the right time. Just when a team thought they were going to get back in a game, Bobby would hit a 3 and kill their spirit! This is an easy vote, Bobby Hurley. Plus as a little dude I always described Bobby's game as "His game is what my game would be if I was any good" :-)

hurleyfor3
11-01-2007, 11:57 AM
so... who'd you vote for?

Well, I tried to compile some evidence rather than merely blaring my opinion in 48-point purple text. :) There's a reason I chose the username I did.

Whoever wins this one should have an easy walk into the championship matchup. I don't see JWill or G-Man touching either of these two.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
HURLEY! HURLEY! HURLEY! HURLEY!

Vote Bobby.

-EarlJam

elvis14
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, I tried to compile some evidence rather than merely blaring my opinion in 48-point purple text. :) There's a reason I chose the username I did.

I thought the purple was a nice touch. Hope it's not too annoying, I was laughing the whole time. If only I could have made it blink! I really did vote for Bobby for the reasons I stated after the 48-point purple text.

JasonEvans
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Mid-day returns: I checked a little while ago and JD had a brief 2 vote lead. It has evaporated though. Currently, Bobby leads by 6 votes, 36-30.

--Jason "the Hurley posters have been loud lately-- where are JD's army?!?!" Evans

hurleyfor3
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought the purple was a nice touch. Hope it's not too annoying, I was laughing the whole time.

Oh, by all means leave it up.

Mid-day returns: I checked a little while ago and JD had a brief 2 vote lead. It has evaporated though. Currently, Bobby leads by 6 votes, 36-30.

He started to pull away once I started posting to this thread :)

Something else about Hurley: He was the first (modern) Duke player other fans went out of their way to jeer. That has to count for something.

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
What happens in the event of a tie?

I have been going back in forth in my mind on this one because although I think Dawkins was the better player I can't decide who I like as a player more.

Dawkins was a dominating player from the guard position who in a sense "founded" the Duke program. Without him, do we get Ferry? Without Ferry, do we get Laettner, Hurley and Hill in back to back years? He could put a team on his back and, was the player who made playing for Duke seem cool. If you were 10 years old in 1986 and you were playing basketball in the schoolyard with your friends, you'd say "I'm Dawkins!" He was cool - he had a smooth style on the court and could do things to make you jump out of your chair, like the reverse dunk against the guy from Navy in 1986.

Hurley was the tough as nails kid who came in and took control of the Duke team from day one. He was the perfect point guard for those early 90s Duke teams and a leader in every sense of the word. People talk about his toughness and leadership and hitting big shots but don't often talk about what a great passer he was - what great court vision he had. You don't set the career assists record just by playing in a lot of games. He hit the most important shot in Duke history, won two titles, and NCAA MOP and carried the team on his back in the 1992 Final Four.

How do you decide between the two? Do you penalize JD for not winning a title? Do you penalize Hurley for being the third best player on those teams?

I am going to take a while to decide on this one. I might abstain.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I thought the purple was a nice touch. Hope it's not too annoying, I was laughing the whole time. If only I could have made it blink! I really did vote for Bobby for the reasons I stated after the 48-point purple text.

I was inspired by your post, but opted for what is close to a Duke blue font. I also named my lizard Hurley (that's not a metaphor).

-EarlJam

dw0827
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
This one really really sucks . . .

Hurley and Dawkins were both great college players . . . but very different players. Therefore, hard to compare their "greatness" statistically.

I don't believe that Dawkins had the same level of talent surrounding him that Hurley did. So, I pose the following questions to myself: How would Hurley have done with the level of talent that surrounded Dawkins? And how would Dawkins have done with the level of talent that surrounded Hurley?

Make it simple for me. Dawkins.

dw0827
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
What? Now I'm a victory cigar? I need Bill to show me the ropes! Cuz I ain't gonna smoke the damn thing.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
How would Hurley have done with the level of talent that surrounded Dawkins?

He would have kicked "A" and would have made Alarie, Henderson and the cast around Dawkins that much better. Not to beat a dead large mammal, but Bobby's PG abilities were remarkable. His court vision was amzing and he was relentless warrior who hit clutch shots, hounded the opposition on defense and could rally his team with his combination of skill and intensity.

The '86 team would have been just fine with Bobby at point, championship caliber (IMHO, of course).

-EarlJam

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 12:41 PM
He would have kicked "A" and would have made Alarie, Henderson and the cast around Dawkins that much better. Not to beat a dead large mammal, but Bobby's PG abilities were remarkable. His court vision was amzing and he was relentless warrior who hit clutch shots, hounded the opposition on defense and could rally his team with his combination of skill and intensity.

The '86 team would have been just fine with Bobby at point, championship caliber (IMHO, of course).

-EarlJam

An interesting question - if you replace T Hill with Dawkins on the 91 - 92 teams, and take away Hurley, are the 91-92 teams better or worse? Do they win both titles? I say better and yes but I'm not so sure. That doesn't make Hurley or Dawkins more of a "favorite" in my eyes. I was leaning towards JD but then I started thinking about all the big shots Bobby hit and the way he QB'ed a team that ran more than people might remember. Those 91-92 teams ran all the time - I have visions of Hurley on the break with GHill, THill, Brian Davis and Antonio Lang on the wings. What made Hurley so great in that offense was that he had distance runner like conditioning. He NEVER got tired. I am specifically thinking about the big shots he hit against IU in 92, the big 3 against UNLV in 91 and the huge three he hit against Kentucky in 92 (Duke's first basket of OT) after (I think) Mashburn hit a 3 for the first score of OT. Hurley's three came right after he missed a 3 but (I think) Grant got the rebound and kicked it right back to Hurley and he launched another 3 and nailed it.

Damn, I really can't decide.

johnb
11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I can't do blinking lights, but:

Bobby had several GREAT Duke years. Dawkins has had 20 GREAT Duke years.

Advantage JD.

Fish80
11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Bottoms! Nothing But Net! How many big ones has he hit . . .

This one deserves to be close. But I have to go with Johnny D on this one.

By the way, does anybody know if any of these former players are reading and watching this "competition"?

mapei
11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I voted for Bobby who, perhaps more than anyone, changed me from a casual observer into a passionate Duke fan. The case for either is very strong, but I go with my heart on this one.

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I voted for Hurley - I went with my heart. Two Gold Trophies.

Without Hurley I don't experience the greatest two sports moments of my life. 1. Winning our first national championship during my senior year; 2. Being in the Spectrum to watch DUKE 104 UK 103.

But JD has pulled ahead now.

This one is going down to the wire. A tie is very possible.

mapei
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
I think the JD supporters are more committed to getting the vote out.

elvis14
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I can't do blinking lights, but:

Bobby had several GREAT Duke years. Dawkins has had 20 GREAT Duke years.

Advantage JD.

Yeah yeah yeah, this is a vote for the favorite Player so I'm not too wrapped up with Coach Dawkins. I'm voting on Hurley the Player over JD the Player. They were both so good but I just loved Hurley's game.

millerecu
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I had to go with JD. Only due to the fact he is still such a vital part of DUKE!!

OldPhiKap
11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Dawkins put K on the map. At the time, you had Dean, Lefty, Valvano (who had his championship), Cremins (who had the FOY every darn year), and the guy at Virginia that also owned Food Lion. Without that great '86 squad, you have to wonder if Duke would have stuck by K for all those years or if the recruits that followed would have come.

Hurley is probably my second favorite player all time. But Dawkins has to be #1.

g_olaf
11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Favorite memories of Johnny Dawkins...
-- fast break reverse slam over David Robinson against Navy...Does ANYONE have the video???
-- blocking David Rivers shot with 2 seconds left to preserve the victory over Notre Dame... sweet
-- force the defender to his left, steal from his right, easy basket.
-- holding court in front of the C.I.
-- never, ever, whining.

not even a close choice.

shadowfax336
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
That being said, Hurley is still the NCAA assists leader, and he graduated 14 years ago. He also led our team to two championships, and hit the greatest shot in Duke history (his 3 pointer to cut the lead to 2 against UNLV was one of the biggest clutch shots in the history of basketball, let alone Duke).

Greatest shot in Duke History?
I mean...
really??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

killerleft
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
My take: The '86 team put Coach K on the map. Without JD, the '86 team is still pretty good, but with him it was excellent. Johnny Dawkins came to Duke with loads of potential and more moves than Ex-Lax. He fulfilled his potential and became a complete ballplayer, a great ballplayer, a team ballplayer. His ability to score from anywhere at any time gave Henderson, especially, the freedom to slash to the basket. His improvisational skills got him into trouble occasionallly as a freshman and sophomore. I haven't seen anyone since try as many twisting, twirling shots. His last two years he was able to control himself better and still look spectacular - which he was. The Duke defense became The Duke Defense because JD and Amaker were able to apply the now-famous ball-pressure that Coach K teaches.

I could come up with as many superlatives for Hurley as I could for Johnny Dawkins. But since Johnny is my favorite player ever to wear the blue and white, I'll leave that to someone who feels that Bobby is their favorite.

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Greatest shot in Duke History?
I mean...
really??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

I have been careful in my posts to refer to that shot against UNLV as the most IMPORTANT shot in Duke history.

Certainly, some people might argue it's a matter of semantics. I agree Laettner's was the greatest. But keep in mind that Hurley's came one round later in the tourney, against one of the most supposedly unbeatable teams ever, we had never won a title before and his shot was almost as much the difference between winning and losing as Laettner's.

Dukerati
11-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Ahhh, this matchup came much too soon.

Hurley made me a Duke fan. As a 9 year old old, I did not like basketball. The only reason why I watched the Duke-UNLV game was because my older, and thus hopelessly cooler, friend had told me to. All during school, he told me how great, how unstoppable UNLV was and how he was going to grow up and play for UNLV. Yes, I am ashamed to admit it now, but I was rooting for UNLV at the start. The memories have since faded over time but I remember screaming when Hurley hit that three and LOVING the fact that my friend, who was so cool and so wise, could possibly be wrong. Hurley was just so different, a thin slashing toothpick of a guard who wanted to win more than everybody else. I pretended to be sad after the game for the sake of my friend, but my allegiance had already been covertly given to Hurley and to Duke.

Having said this, I am voting for JD. Why? Because without JD, Duke would not be Duke. There would have been no Hurley, there would have been no clutch three, and my friend probably would have been right about UNLV. I like to think Duke still would've reached greatness (Coach K is still Coach K) but it would've taken longer and my childhood would have suffered for it.

Bostondevil
11-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Johnny once asked me to dance at a Duke party. I'll make that the tie-breaker. (Shows good taste in addition to all that talent. ;) )

JBDuke
11-01-2007, 03:13 PM
How good was JD? A friend of mine claims that the Crazies invented the stunt of a crowd bowing to a player - in Wayne's World "We're Not Worthy!" fashion - in honor of JD.

Jumbo
11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm going to be sick if Hurley doesn't win this...

dukemomLA
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I LOVE Bobby Hurley, BUT....Dawkins was the first player to commit to Duke which turned this program back to an elite NCAA force. So...my vote has to go to Dawkins. Without him...hmmmm....don't know what the last two decades would have brought.

Can't wait for the season to begin. This is going to be a FUN team to watch.

Travis
11-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Jason,

I warned you to stop this. If you were asking for best player, I would say JD (although then Christian should win and he is only probably my 5th favorite.)

If you said most important player, then again JD (key first recruit, star of first great team.)

If you said overall contribution, then JD because of his coaching, but I think that should be set aside for judging players.

But you said favorite. I came to Duke in 86-87 and had not gotten to really see Johnny play as I lived overseas. I did play some pick up with him and developed an appreciation for his legendary status.

But I knew Bobby more, played with him more, I watched him grow as a player, and he won championships.

But without JD there might not have been Bobby.

They are my two favorite Duke players of all time. Both were cold-blooded assasins.

The only honorable course is seppuku.
Goodbye cruel world.

g_olaf
11-01-2007, 03:42 PM
A friend of mine claims that the Crazies invented the stunt of a crowd bowing to a player - in Wayne's World "We're Not Worthy!" fashion - in honor of JD.

And on senior day, he was the first to bow back to the crazies.

micah75
11-01-2007, 03:45 PM
JD may have put Duke BBall on the map. But Hurley helped push Duke to the highest level. If it wasn't for Hurley, Duke may very well have gone to 6 of 7 FF's without ever winning the big one. Bobby Hurley helped put us over the top. Or as EarlJam pointed out a few days back, Hurley (and of course CL) got the monkey off of Coach K's back.

Also, using the JD argument, one could make a case for Bobby making Coach K the legend that he is, which in turn brought in future superstars such as Brand, Battier, and JWill.

Indoor66
11-01-2007, 03:47 PM
JD may have put Duke BBall on the map.

Duke BBall was "on the map" long before either JD or Coach K came to Duke! Check out a little of the history.

micah75
11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Duke BBall was "on the map" long before either JD or Coach K came to Duke! Check out a little of the history.

Well aware of that. Was replying to those who were claiming that JD put Duke BBall on the map and therefore should get the nod over Hurley. Check out a little of the history of this thread.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 03:57 PM
So I go to the dentist with Hurley holding a three-vote lead. I come back, and he's down 12.

I am sad. I love JD, but Hurley. Oh man. Dude almost died and came back to almost play again in the NBA. What tremendous heart. Today, it looks like my all-time favorite Dukie goes down.

-Sad EarlJam

JasonEvans
11-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Late-afternoon returns:

JD is beginning to pull away. It is 75-60 as I write this (55.56% - 44.44%) in favor of the "old man."

--Jason "this is easily the toughest choice we have had yet... nothing comes close (until we get to the Grant vs. Shane semi-final)" Evans

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Bobby should not be losing by this much. I love Dawkins but Hurley is not getting enough adoration here.

This is an outrage!!

Come on Hurley fans, make a late run here.

Karl Beem
11-01-2007, 04:47 PM
No JD no Coach K era! This is a matchup that should occur in the next round.

mr. synellinden
11-01-2007, 04:54 PM
This is like the Duke - Michigan title game. Dawkins is blowing Hurley out in the second half after a tight first half. Dawkins going away ...

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 04:56 PM
This is like the Duke - Michigan title game. Dawkins is blowing Hurley out in the second half after a tight first half. Dawkins going away ...

Well pound me up the hmmmmm with a razor-edged hmmmmmmmmmm. This blows.

-EarlJam, voter of Hurley

gotoguy
11-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I loved Bobby but I have to vote for the left hander.

mapei
11-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I think Bobby's done. :( Too bad, but somebody had to lose this one, and I can't argue too much with the result.

Jumbo
11-01-2007, 06:00 PM
My all-time favorite Duke player needs some help here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4311). Vote for Bobby!

robed deity
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
After recently watching a tape of the '91 Vegas game, I can't NOT vote for Bobby.

elvis14
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
After recently watching a tape of the '91 Vegas game, I can't NOT vote for Bobby.

Interesting first post. What's your username when you are not stuffing ballot boxes? :D

To me the way Bobby grew up at Duke was one of the things that made him great. He was a bit of a whiner as a freshman. By the time he was a senior he was a leader of men!

DukieInKansas
11-01-2007, 06:15 PM
This was a hard choice - both are great in different styles. I finally voted for Bobby because I admired the way he played in the loss to UNLV - everyone watching knew when he left the court for the bathroom because he was sick but he came back to keep playing. I always felt somewhat sorry for him when I watched him play - he always looked like death warmed over - but what hustle.

But voting against Dawkins doesn't seem right - can I have my vote back? But if I switch it to Dawkins, I'll want it back to go for Hurley. Must seek refuge from the dilemma - I'll go look for some cheese to go with my wine.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Not to be pushy or add unnecessary pressure or anything but everyone deserves to know:

Every time someone passes up on a chance to vote Hurley, God kills a kitten.

http://www.jakesjokes.com/gallery/albums/funnypics_weird/normal_domokuns-kitten.jpg

-EarlJam

hurleyfor3
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
He does worse than that -- He makes us lose in the Sweet 16 to a football school. (God, not Hurley.) So it hurts all of us, including us Hurley fans... especially us Hurley fans.

EarlJam
11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Quick question: Can I vote again?...........and again..............and again..........multiplied by 15?

-EarlJam, voter of Hurley

Lord Ash
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Not to be pushy or add unnecessary pressure or anything but everyone deserves to know:

Every time someone passes up on a chance to vote Hurley, God kills a kitten.

http://www.jakesjokes.com/gallery/albums/funnypics_weird/normal_domokuns-kitten.jpg

-EarlJam

And don't forget that when you pass a chance to vote for Shane up, God kills a kitten, and I kill another, and then a puppy, and then a child. So don't screw THAT one up.

:D

Hard to root against J.D.; I do love Bobby tho, and did vote for him!

JasonEvans
11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Late-night returns: 87-74 JD.

JasonEvans
11-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Early morning returns: 92-81 JD leads. Hurley is closing the gap a little bit, but it may be too little, too late. Only about 2 1/2 hours left in this poll, though if it gets really close, I may leave it open a tiny bit longer because my good buddy Jumbo is having a freaking fit that Bobby might lose.

--Jason "plus, I hate cats and I like watching EarlJam kill kittens" Evans

Bob Green
11-02-2007, 08:07 AM
--Jason "plus, I hate cats and I like watching EarlJam kill kittens" Evans

I'm with you brother. The only good cat is a dead cat!

balkan boy
11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Finally registered after years reading the board just to vote for Hurley. Dawkins may have been the reason I went to Duke, but Hurley is my favorite of all time.

Balkan Boy

DevilCastDownfromDurham
11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm with you brother. The only good cat is a dead cat!

Maybe the cats don't like y'all much either:

http://www.mycathatesyou.com/

Just kiddin', but I am surprised that JD is not getting more love from the posters. Arguably the most important player in Duke history, the backbone of K's staff for more than a decade, and an unfailingly classy representative of the university. At some level JD IS Duke basketball in my mind. I loved Bobby as well (and he was a guy I saw a lot more of given my age), but how can you vote against JD?

killerleft
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Both players are deserving of anybody's vote. Some match-ups, I voted for the Best player instead of my Favorite player. Sometimes I went the other way.

In the end, my vote in this one came down to my personal belief that Johnny Dawkins was indeed Coach K's most important recruit.

He is my favorite player because he could do all the things I would have loved to have been able to do on a basketball court. Johnny had the improv skills I would have killed meerkats for, and the savyy and smarts of a point guard. I listened in on his first post-game interview courtside and said, wow, where does an 18-year old get that kind of poise?

That he would become Coach K's right-hand man wasn't even on the horizon, but it seems as natural the blowing snow now.

JasonEvans
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Final push...

I am going to close this one in about 10-15 minutes. Bobby trails by 10 votes.

--Jason "I voted for JD, but Jumbo is getting ready to cyber-strangle me if Bobby loses" Evans

Jumbo
11-02-2007, 10:13 AM
If you do that, Evans, I'll never be able to love again...

hurleyfor3
11-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I'd be pretty damn steamed if Hurley were losing to anyone else besides JD. If it were Laettner I'd be disappointed that my own school's fanbase hadn't been paying enough attention, and if it were someone like JJ or Wojo I don't think I could ever follow college basketball again, much less post here.

Jeffrey
11-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I voted for Bobby because of his warrior nature, spirit, and drive. I always have thought he would be a GREAT coach. IMO, Bobby displayed everything that Duke hoops represents. We could all learn a lot from that man.

-Jeffrey

EarlJam
11-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Final push...

I am going to close this one in about 10-15 minutes. Bobby trails by 10 votes.

--Jason "I voted for JD, but Jumbo is getting ready to cyber-strangle me if Bobby loses" Evans

Taps is playing in my mind and I have lowered the EarlJam flag in my office to half staff.

Mr. Evans, moderators of DBR, fellow posters: today, November 2, 2007 - a date which will live in infamy - the brand of Bobby Hurley was suddenly and deliberately attacked following days of non-votes by my fellow Duke fans.

Hurley and I, EarlJam, was at peace with all on DBR, and, at the solicitation of the moderators, was still in conversation with said posters and moderators looking toward the maintenance of peace and an election victory for Bobby Hurley.

Indeed, two hours after I woke up this morning, the Duke Baketball Report delivered to my soul the looming vote totals. And while this information stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations and vote rallying for Hurley, it contained no threat or hint of war or attack. Well, it should have. For today, my fandom has been attacked and yes, wounded, perhaps mortally so. I'm just really bummed out.

-Franklin D. EarlJam

JasonEvans
11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Going... going... gone.

By a score of 97-87, a margin of about 5%, Bobby Hurley has fallen to the great Johnny Dawkins.

--Jason "JD goes on to face JWill in the semifinals" Evans

EarlJam
11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Going... going... gone.

By a score of 97-87, a margin of about 5%, Bobby Hurley has fallen to the great Johnny Dawkins.

--Jason "JD goes on to face JWill in the semifinals" Evans

"Dang you! God Dang you all to Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

elvis14
11-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, there's something that ware rarely seen at Duke, Bobby Hurley losing!

I really wanted Bobby to win but JD was and is great. Like I just said in the JJ vs. Shane thread, you really can't go wrong at this point no matter how you vote.

Elvis

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-02-2007, 11:08 AM
...I guess it's a "good thing". While I procrastinated, my head fighting with my heart, this poll closed and put me out of my misery. Sort of. Now there are two things I'l never have to face......the weight of this decision and seeing Elvis as an old man.

Love, Ima:(