PDA

View Full Version : Lax: 2019 Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

burnspbesq
01-25-2019, 09:29 PM
In 2018, Duke came awfully close to picking up its fourth NCAA championship of the decade. Yale had other ideas, however, and the class of 2018 became the first class since 2009 to leave without rings.

Expectations for the 2019 season are sky-high, despite some obvious holes that may or may not have been successfully filled. Nearly every pre-season poll that matters has the Blue Devils at number two, behind only the defending champions (Quint sees them as third). Nothing is assured, obviously, but Duke certainly looks like it could be headed for Memorial Day again.

Who’s Gone

Duke loses only six players from last year’s regular rotation, but each leaves big shoes to fill.

First and foremost is 115-point scorer Justin Guterding. Gut was the heart and soul of last year’s squad, for reasons that went far beyond goals and assists. He was ferocious on the ride, never hesitated to stick his nose into a ground-ball scrum, led by example, and made every big play that needed to be made. No one is irreplaceable, but Gut comes close.

Also vacating the scene are four key members of the Blue Devils’ top-five defensive unit: goaltender Danny Fowler, defenseman Kevin McDonough, alpha LSM Greg Pelton, and valuable SSDM Sean Cerrone. Peter Conley split time between midfield and attack, contributing 28 goals.

Who’s Back

Duke is likely to feature a midfield-oriented offense in 2019, and the reason is clear: the Blue Devils return six of their top seven offensive mids, a group that combined for 94 goals last year. Brad Smith, a pre-season All-American whose 65-point season in 2018 tied for third best in school history, will lead the charge. Four other double-figure scorers return. On attack, Joe Robertson burst on the scene with a 48-goal freshman campaign, and he will be joined by junior Joey Manown.

At the back, the Blue Devils are led by two pre-season All-Americans at close defense, senior Cade van Raaphorst and junior J.T. Giles-Harris. The pair combined for 45 caused turnovers in 2018. Redshirt senior Peter Welch, an elite faceoff wing who scored three points and hoovered up 45 ground balls in 2018, returns at LSM, alongside SSDMs John Prendergast, Terry Lindsey, and Blake Leischow. Turner Uppgren, a capable backup for the last two seasons, returns in goal. Junior Brian Smyth and sophomore Joe Stein combined to win over 53 percent of faceoffs last season.

Who’s New

The Blue Devils welcome a freshman class ranked sixth by Inside Lacrosse, and welcome back two highly regarded 2017 recruits who were medical redshirts last season.

The newcomers are led by Wilson Stephenson, a rangy, physical defender from the Brunswick School in Connecticut, ranked number eight in the 2018 class by IL. He has a chance to start immediately. Midfielder Garrett Leadmon broke most of Paul Rabil’s DeMatha school records, while fellow freshman mid Owen Caputo (son of Duke assistant Ron Caputo) boasts an off-the-charts lacrosse IQ and a deep arsenal of offensive skills. Stephenson’s high school teammate Jordan Ginder gives the Blue Devils a third top-quality FOGO. Goaltenders Andrew Bonafede from Chaminade on Long Island and Garrett Smith from Mountain Lakes in New Jersey (both siblings of current Duke players) will push Uppgren for the starting Job. Redshirt freshman Cam Badour, a big Canadian lefty with Ontario Junior A box experience, will play somewhere, while fellow redshirt Raines Shamburger has a chance to step in either on close defense or at LSM.

What to Expect

Duke finished 2018 ranked fourth in adjusted defensive efficiency, and it’s likely that suffocating defense will be the team’s calling card in 2019. With two All-Americans at the back and one of the nation’s best d-mid groups, Duke will be hard to break down, especially with the shot clock as the group’s new best friend. On the other side of the ball, Duke has the depth to run three midfield units, and the athletes to force tempo. Without a dominant attackman to occupy the ball it’s likely that Duke will look to mids like Smith, Nakeie Montgomery, and Kevin Quigley to win their matchups and move the ball faster than opposing defenses can recover. If opposing defenses choose to slide inside-out, Robertson and Manown are likely to see a steady diet of point-blank opportunities. It’s likely to be FOGO-by-committee, and with elite wings Welch and Prendergast, Duke should have a possession advantage in most games.

The Annual Futile Attempt to Predict the Rotation

Goal: Uppgren has the inside track, but any of the three could end up winning the job

Close defense: Van Raaphorst and Giles-Harris are likely to be joined by Stephenson. Seniors Jack Fowler and Connor Alexander and freshman Frank Marinello will provide depth and may play on man-down.

LSM: Welch and Shamburger are likely to be the regular LSMs.

SSDM: Prendergast, Lindsey, and Leischow are likely to be joined by Leadmon, redshirt senior Jake Seau, or both (this assumes that the coaches’ response to the shot clock isn’t to run four groups of two-way midfielders, a la Albany).

Offensive mids: There has been talk in the media about Smith moving to attack, but I think he’s too valuable initiating from the top. Smith and Montgomery are likely to play on the same unit—they create extremely difficult matchup problems for opposing defenses running together—but beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess. Caputo will play right away.

Attack: I expect Badour to start alongside Robertson and Manown. To me, his floor looks like Jack Bruckner, and his ceiling looks like Zack Greer.

The Blue Devils open on February 2 at Furman, the first of three consecutive games against SoCon opposition, before the non-conference schedule gets dramatically more difficult, with Denver, Penn, Richmond, and Loyola over a four-week period. Utah and Towson come to town before ACC play starts on March 24 at the Dome. A trip to Chapel Hill follows, before home games against ND and UVa. A neutral-site game against Marquette precedes the expanded ACC tournament (all five teams get to compete for the championship, and the final is pushed back a week). The traditional Selection Sunday meeting with Boston University is no more.

WiJoe
01-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Fanstastic preview.

Thanks.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks a bunch for a fantastic team preview!

The grandson and I try and make a game each season. Weather depending, February 16 against Denver and February 23 against Penn look like prime early season opportunities.

chrishoke
01-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the detailed preview. I can't remember a Duke team built this way with such strength in the midfield. I love that we are adding a Canadian lefty. Such great memories of ZG.

budwom
01-26-2019, 08:36 AM
great summary

DST Fan
01-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the preview.

The 2016 team with Myles Jones and Deemer Class had some similarities with a lot of scoring coming from the midfield.

With all the depth at midfield this year, I have been wondering whether one of the middies might move to attack. Ned Crotty was a midfielder his first couple of years and I seem to recall there were other instances in the past when Coach Danowski has made position changes.

I think one of the keys to the season will be Joey Manown. His production dropped a little last year and this team will need to find a couple of consistent scorers to take pressure off Joe Robertson at attack. If Nakeie Montgomery continues to develop, maybe Dano will move one of the midfielders. As the season progressed last year, I believe he more or less dropped the third midfield unit.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-26-2019, 02:20 PM
In 2018, Duke came awfully close to picking up its fourth NCAA championship of the decade. Yale had other ideas, however, and the class of 2018 became the first class since 2009 to leave without rings.

Expectations for the 2019 season are sky-high, despite some obvious holes that may or may not have been successfully filled. Nearly every pre-season poll that matters has the Blue Devils at number two, behind only the defending champions (Quint sees them as third). Nothing is assured, obviously, but Duke certainly looks like it could be headed for Memorial Day again.

Who’s Gone

Duke loses only six players from last year’s regular rotation, but each leaves big shoes to fill.

First and foremost is 115-point scorer Justin Guterding. Gut was the heart and soul of last year’s squad, for reasons that went far beyond goals and assists. He was ferocious on the ride, never hesitated to stick his nose into a ground-ball scrum, led by example, and made every big play that needed to be made. No one is irreplaceable, but Gut comes close.

Also vacating the scene are four key members of the Blue Devils’ top-five defensive unit: goaltender Danny Fowler, defenseman Kevin McDonough, alpha LSM Greg Pelton, and valuable SSDM Sean Cerrone. Peter Conley split time between midfield and attack, contributing 28 goals.

Who’s Back

Duke is likely to feature a midfield-oriented offense in 2019, and the reason is clear: the Blue Devils return six of their top seven offensive mids, a group that combined for 94 goals last year. Brad Smith, a pre-season All-American whose 65-point season in 2018 tied for third best in school history, will lead the charge. Four other double-figure scorers return. On attack, Joe Robertson burst on the scene with a 48-goal freshman campaign, and he will be joined by junior Joey Manown.

At the back, the Blue Devils are led by two pre-season All-Americans at close defense, senior Cade van Raaphorst and junior J.T. Giles-Harris. The pair combined for 45 caused turnovers in 2018. Redshirt senior Peter Welch, an elite faceoff wing who scored three points and hoovered up 45 ground balls in 2018, returns at LSM, alongside SSDMs John Prendergast, Terry Lindsey, and Blake Leischow. Turner Uppgren, a capable backup for the last two seasons, returns in goal. Junior Brian Smyth and sophomore Joe Stein combined to win over 53 percent of faceoffs last season.

Who’s New

The Blue Devils welcome a freshman class ranked sixth by Inside Lacrosse, and welcome back two highly regarded 2017 recruits who were medical redshirts last season.

The newcomers are led by Wilson Stephenson, a rangy, physical defender from the Brunswick School in Connecticut, ranked number eight in the 2018 class by IL. He has a chance to start immediately. Midfielder Garrett Leadmon broke most of Paul Rabil’s DeMatha school records, while fellow freshman mid Owen Caputo (son of Duke assistant Ron Caputo) boasts an off-the-charts lacrosse IQ and a deep arsenal of offensive skills. Stephenson’s high school teammate Jordan Ginder gives the Blue Devils a third top-quality FOGO. Goaltenders Andrew Bonafede from Chaminade on Long Island and Garrett Smith from Mountain Lakes in New Jersey (both siblings of current Duke players) will push Uppgren for the starting Job. Redshirt freshman Cam Badour, a big Canadian lefty with Ontario Junior A box experience, will play somewhere, while fellow redshirt Raines Shamburger has a chance to step in either on close defense or at LSM.

What to Expect

Duke finished 2018 ranked fourth in adjusted defensive efficiency, and it’s likely that suffocating defense will be the team’s calling card in 2019. With two All-Americans at the back and one of the nation’s best d-mid groups, Duke will be hard to break down, especially with the shot clock as the group’s new best friend. On the other side of the ball, Duke has the depth to run three midfield units, and the athletes to force tempo. Without a dominant attackman to occupy the ball it’s likely that Duke will look to mids like Smith, Nakeie Montgomery, and Kevin Quigley to win their matchups and move the ball faster than opposing defenses can recover. If opposing defenses choose to slide inside-out, Robertson and Manown are likely to see a steady diet of point-blank opportunities. It’s likely to be FOGO-by-committee, and with elite wings Welch and Prendergast, Duke should have a possession advantage in most games.

The Annual Futile Attempt to Predict the Rotation

Goal: Uppgren has the inside track, but any of the three could end up winning the job

Close defense: Van Raaphorst and Giles-Harris are likely to be joined by Stephenson. Seniors Jack Fowler and Connor Alexander and freshman Frank Marinello will provide depth and may play on man-down.

LSM: Welch and Shamburger are likely to be the regular LSMs.

SSDM: Prendergast, Lindsey, and Leischow are likely to be joined by Leadmon, redshirt senior Jake Seau, or both (this assumes that the coaches’ response to the shot clock isn’t to run four groups of two-way midfielders, a la Albany).

Offensive mids: There has been talk in the media about Smith moving to attack, but I think he’s too valuable initiating from the top. Smith and Montgomery are likely to play on the same unit—they create extremely difficult matchup problems for opposing defenses running together—but beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess. Caputo will play right away.

Attack: I expect Badour to start alongside Robertson and Manown. To me, his floor looks like Jack Bruckner, and his ceiling looks like Zack Greer.

The Blue Devils open on February 2 at Furman, the first of three consecutive games against SoCon opposition, before the non-conference schedule gets dramatically more difficult, with Denver, Penn, Richmond, and Loyola over a four-week period. Utah and Towson come to town before ACC play starts on March 24 at the Dome. A trip to Chapel Hill follows, before home games against ND and UVa. A neutral-site game against Marquette precedes the expanded ACC tournament (all five teams get to compete for the championship, and the final is pushed back a week). The traditional Selection Sunday meeting with Boston University is no more.

Very interesting, thorough preview. My only comment is I would have focused a lot more on Montgomery. He really seemed to show signs of becoming a dominant player during the tournament last year and I think he could be the catalyst for the whole team this year.

53n206
01-26-2019, 05:38 PM
I thought Robertson was amazing last year. Even a small improvement will be special.

BD80
01-26-2019, 08:35 PM
... I love that we are adding a Canadian lefty. ...

RJ plays lacrosse?

jimsumner
01-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Duke men picked first in ACC.

http://theacc.com/news/2019/1/30/mens-lacrosse-duke-picked-first-in-preseason-coaches-poll.aspx

Native
01-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Excellent preview as always, burns.

This year’s team is really intriguing to me as I think our primary strength will be defense. I feel like the very best Duke teams have historically been defined by excellence at the attack position: Danowski-Greer, Crotty-Quinzani, and Wolf-Walsh-Dionne come to mind. It will be very interesting to watch how the team’s identity takes shape throughout the season.

budwom
02-02-2019, 08:51 AM
bumping up the thread as our lads play the Fur Guys in the Pimento State tonight, ESPN+ if you think you want to give those guys even more money. Looking forward to this season.

DST Fan
02-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Duke up 4-3 at the end of the first quarter.

burnspbesq
02-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Duke leads, 4-3, after one quarter.

Starting attack is Robertson, Lowrie, and Carpenter. Seau in Smith’s spot on the first unit witth Quigley and Walsh. Second midfield is Montgomery, Leadmon, and Badour. Falk, the graduate transfer from UVa, is the fourth SSDM, and Scaglione is the second LSM. Fowler starting on close D. Uppgren has not looked especially sharp so far.

burnspbesq
02-02-2019, 08:11 PM
It is 9-5 at the half. Duke leads handily in shots and GBs. Smyth amd Stein have combined to win 10 of 15 faceoffs. Two goals each for Robertson, Carpenter, and Walsh.

DST Fan
02-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Reilly Walsh scored twice in the second quarter and Duke leads 9-5 at the half.

chrishoke
02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
5-0 Duke so far in the 3rd. 14-5 Duke.

burnspbesq
02-02-2019, 09:08 PM
17-9 is your final score. Furman is better than most pundits thought.

Win number 400 for coach Danowski. First D1 men’s coach to reach that mark.

Career days for Seau (two and two) and Carpenter (hat trick on three shots).

53n206
02-02-2019, 10:19 PM
They looked a little loose at times- but great potential. Robertson is scary good.

buddy
02-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Surprised to see CJ and Sean Lowrie start at attack. Any word on what caused that decision. Also did not expect to see Jake start over Brad Smith. Are there some injuries of which I am not aware? Jake came in with huge promise but has been plagued with injuries. Hope he has a great season if only to see his mother at the games. I have some concerns about goal. If anyone ponied up the money to ESPN can you comment on the impact of the shot clock.

buddy
02-02-2019, 11:25 PM
OK, I see where Brad Smith has a foot injury of indeterminate severity. Tough loss. He was probably our best midfielder last year. Also did not notice Joey Manown's name in the scoresheet.

buddy
02-02-2019, 11:36 PM
By the way, CJ Carpenter is the son of volleyball coach Jolene Nagel. Her husband Sam played collegiate and professional lacrosse, coached at Denver U and assisted US U19 team. Good bloodlines.

burnspbesq
02-02-2019, 11:58 PM
Some random observations.

Badour has some serious heat. Two of his goals came on 10-12 yard rips from the right wing on man up, and my guess would be both were going 95-100 when they hit the net.

Scaglione can run—and not “run pretty well for 6’7” and 240.” On his goal he split two defenders who had good angles and got enough separation to take a full windup on the shot.

Manown didn’t play at all. No idea why not. Hard to say that he was missed.

Smith was not on crutches, and I don’t think he was in a boot.

Smyth is the guy at X. He went 19-27, while Stein was 0-2.

Didn’t think the shot clock was a major factor.

budwom
02-03-2019, 09:23 AM
wondered why Manown didn't even make the box score, while SMith did (despite not playing).

DST Fan
02-06-2019, 06:59 PM
The ACC Network on ESPN is carrying the Highpoint game at 7.

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 07:10 PM
High Point scores first and is up 1-0.

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 07:26 PM
End of 1st Quarter: High Point 2, Duke 1

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Halftime: High Point 5, Duke 4

Joey Manown with three goals in the 1st half. Brad Smith is playing limited minutes.

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 08:36 PM
End of 3rd Quarter: Duke 6, High Point 6

This has been a defensive battle. Both goalies have lots of saves.

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 08:45 PM
And just that quick the offense explodes...the High Point offense:

High Point 10, Duke 7.

11:51 to play.

Bob Green
02-06-2019, 08:50 PM
12-7 now...this game is over.

53n206
02-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Traveling-thank goodness. Wow!

MCFinARL
02-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Duke has traditionally not been at its best early in the season, but a home loss to High Point (6-8 last year) might be a new low. Didn't see this game, but statistically the difference looks like it was mainly in the goal--the HP goalie had a colossal 19 saves to 9 goals against (so either he is tremendous or our shot selection was poor--or both) and the Duke goalie had 10 saves to 14 goals against--and no saves in the crucial 4th period, when HP tallied 7 goals.

Danowski fell on his sword after the game, saying the team was totally outplayed and he had incorrectly underestimated how much work they needed to do.

AGDukesky
02-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Hopefully High Point will be the low point of the season

BD80
02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
… Danowski fell on his sword after the game, saying the team was totally outplayed and he had incorrectly underestimated how much work they needed to do.

That does not bode well for players hoping for easier practices.

Bob Green
02-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Duke up on Jacksonville 7-6 early in the 3rd quarter:

http://judolphins.com/sports/mlax/2018-19/boxscores/20190209_7soo.xml

EDIT: Make that 9-6. Duke has scored three goals quickly.

Bob Green
02-09-2019, 01:35 PM
End of 3Q: Duke 11, Jacksonville 8

Bob Green
02-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Final: Duke 15, Jacksonville 8.

DST Fan
02-09-2019, 05:22 PM
I watched most of the Highpoint game and only saw the box score for the Jacksonville game, but here are few thoughts:

After he missed the opening game against Furman with an injury, it was good to see Joey Manown score 4 goals against Highpoint and 3 against Jacksonville. I think he can play a big part in filling in the hole in the attack left by Justin Guterding's graduation.

Joe Robertson had a quiet game against Highpoint, and his 5 goals today is a good sign.

I believe the broadcasters for the Highpoint game said that Brad Smith had foot surgery a few weeks ago and they suggested he was playing with a minutes limit. In the Highpoint game, he was pretty much limited to running the EMO unit from behind the cage. I saw he had a couple of assists today, so hopefully he is recovering quickly. Also, the box score for the Jacksonville game listed him as starting at attack.

I thought that Turner Uppgren did not play a bad game against Highpoint. He made a couple of nice saves before the game got out of hand in the fourth quarter. The defense fell apart badly in the fourth quarter and he no chance on most of the Highpoint scores late in the game.

Several of the traditional powers have not started the 2019 season well. Colgate beat Syracuse (#10) this week by a score of 12-9 and Towson beat Hopkins (#7) today 17-8. Someone made the comment (maybe on the Inside Lacrosse website) that there has been a huge growth in youth lacrosse, but not a corresponding increase in the number of D-1 men’s lacrosse programs. Therefore, there should be more parity in men’s D-1 lacrosse than a few years ago and a win by a team such as Highpoint over Duke should not be a complete surprise.

Bob Green
02-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Someone made the comment (maybe on the Inside Lacrosse website) that there has been a huge growth in youth lacrosse, but not a corresponding increase in the number of D-1 men’s lacrosse programs. Therefore, there should be more parity in men’s D-1 lacrosse than a few years ago and a win by a team such as Highpoint over Duke should not be a complete surprise.

The commentator made that comment during the Duke - High Point telecast as I remember hearing it.

House G
02-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Duke has dropped to tenth in the rankings:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-men/d1/inside-lacrosse

They host #6 Denver on Saturday at 11:00 am.

Go Devils!

MCFinARL
02-14-2019, 09:10 AM
I watched most of the Highpoint game and only saw the box score for the Jacksonville game, but here are few thoughts:

I thought that Turner Uppgren did not play a bad game against Highpoint. He made a couple of nice saves before the game got out of hand in the fourth quarter. The defense fell apart badly in the fourth quarter and he no chance on most of the Highpoint scores late in the game.

That's a good point. There is no question that a goalie's job is dramatically affected by the defense's success or failure at preventing the offense from getting easy shots. I wonder also whether, since Uppgren is starting for the first time this year, it is taking a while for him and the rest of the defense to get on the same page. The goalie is often the vocal leader of the defense, and that may take some practice and adjustment. Hopefully things will improve.

House G
02-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Reminding those interested in LAX that Duke hosts Denver in one hour. Game available on Watch ESPN.

Go Devils!!

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 11:24 AM
1-1 at the end of 1. Our goalie is keeping us in the game w/ 5 saves.

House G
02-16-2019, 11:24 AM
The rain and the shot clock having a significant impact so far. Duke goalie superb. Duke offense stagnant. Tied 1-1 after the first period.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Denver is dominating. We are lucky to be down only 3-1.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 11:51 AM
4-2 Denver at the half. We did finally win a couple face offs in the 2nd.

bigperm13
02-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Uppgren standing on his head and forces a turnover and Duke can't clear and Denver scores. Quick answer though. 7-5 Denver in the 4th.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Three quick goals by Duke has us 7-7 in the 4th, 10 to go.

DukieInKansas
02-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Tied at 7 - about 10 minutes left.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Duke leads 8-7. Great pass from Robertson to a charging freshman Ledman for the score.

bigperm13
02-16-2019, 12:54 PM
2 missed passes leading to turnovers to put the game away. Choke.

sagegrouse
02-16-2019, 12:56 PM

So we lost? It's over?

bigperm13
02-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Nope, just got lucky. 10-9 win!

BlueTeuf
02-16-2019, 12:58 PM
No. Great game.

tbyers11
So we lost? It's over?

The missed passes led to to 2 turnovers that allowed Denver tie at 9-9 with 14 secs left.

But Duke on the face-off got a fortuitous bounce on a ground ball and Manown scored with 4 secs left for Duke to win 10-9

chrishoke
Duke scores with 6 secs left to win.

DukieInKansas
02-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Nailbiter at the end.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 01:00 PM
B y the way, Denver is really good.

bigperm13
02-16-2019, 01:01 PM
B y the way, Denver is really good.

They are. So is Duke. Both green at some spots but well coached enough to get them through it.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Van Raaphorst (sp?), who was terrific all game had a great ground ball pick up between 2 Denver guys and quickly cleared to start the fast break for the winning goal.

sagegrouse
02-16-2019, 01:14 PM

So we lost? It's over?

Nope, just got lucky. 10-9 win!

How about a dose of "Eats Shoots and Leaves?"

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Coach Dano made a critical switch at the X in 2nd quarter and it helped turn the game around. Amazingly, at the end of the game, he put the starter back in - he was winless at the X - he lost the face off but was able to knock the ball loose, Van Raaphorst got the ground ball and the rest is history.

bigperm13
02-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Last play was crazy with the faceoff switch and that ninth goal from Denver was at an almost impossible angle. The entire 4th quarter was crazy actually.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Last play was crazy with the faceoff switch and that ninth goal from Denver was at an almost impossible angle. The entire 4th quarter was crazy actually.

Crazy indeed. After scoring only 4 goals in the first three quarters, Duke tallied 6 in the 4th.

chrishoke
02-16-2019, 03:19 PM
In a shocker, defending champs Yale loses to Villanova 11-10 I OT.

devilirium
02-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Watching highlights now which are pretty amazing...was Montgomery sick or injured today?

duke2x
02-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Quality win in dramatic fashion. Denver is sometimes a litmus test in the season, but we also play them much better at home. It will probably take away 15 of the bad L points from High Point. :(

burnspbesq
02-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Not exactly state-of-the-art lacrosse, but boy that was fun.

J.T. quietly had a career game. Walker is a first-team All-American and a probable first-round draft pick in all three pro leagues, and J.T. made him disappear. Double bagel on only one shot.

As noted above, Ginder made a huge contribution.

The scouting report on Badour probably says to force him to his right. That worked well for Denver, didn’t it.

The continuing problem for Duke’s offense is that the ball is getting stuck in their sticks. Doubles are coming early and aggressively, and the pass is not being made quickly enough. It will come with more reps, but it’s frustrating for now.

Stephenson made a couple of freshman mistakes, but I don’t have any doubt as to whether he can play at this level.

The aggregate score of the last two fourth quarters between Duke and Denver is Duke 13, Denver 3, and Joe Robertson has seven goals and an assist. It’s hard to explain how ridiculous that is.

chrishoke
02-18-2019, 08:47 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211791372&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Our goalie, Uppgren was named the ACC defensive player of the week.

burnspbesq
02-19-2019, 08:53 AM
High Point has a legitimate claim to the top seed in the ACC Tournament. After winning at Koskinen, they rode another massive night by Troutner (17 saves) to a one-goal win at UVa.

Duke bounced back to number five in most of the polls. The Duke women moved up one spot, to 16, despite Sunday’s heartbreaking 21-20 loss at Northwestern.

The men play a dangerous Penn team this week, while the women open ACC play against VaTech.

chrishoke
02-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Our women were up two goals before giving up the last three goals of the game - the winner with under a minute to go.

House G
02-23-2019, 11:04 AM
Duke hosts Penn this afternoon—game on ACC network:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211792101&DB_OEM_ID=4200

jimsumner
02-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Duke hosts Penn this afternoon—game on ACC network:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211792101&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I hope they're mudders.

duke2x
02-23-2019, 01:53 PM
The Penn game was moved to the turf fields on the other side of Bassett. You do have to stand outside the fence in the rain.

chrishoke
02-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Duke women beat VPI in OT. In men's, J. Hopkins beats the cheaters and Richmond beats Notre Dame.

chrishoke
02-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Duke jumps out to a 3-0 lead over Penn.

budwom
02-23-2019, 03:56 PM
8-2 Duke after on period, whoa. oops, 9-2

chrishoke
02-23-2019, 04:24 PM
12-3 at the half. Penn beat Duke last year and lost last week to #3 Maryland in OT. Today has been no contest.

duke2x
02-23-2019, 04:24 PM
12-3 at the half.

duke2x
02-23-2019, 05:14 PM
17-7 final.

53n206
02-23-2019, 05:16 PM
17-7 final. Our guys played well. Terrible conditions, but our fields held up. Great remote camera work. Camera was on a pole. Only one play by play announcer, and he did a fine job.

burnspbesq
02-23-2019, 10:20 PM
So, this is what a healthy Jake Seau can do. Dang ...

There was a lot of hype for Penn’s faceoff guy this week. All Duke’s committee did was go a combined 17-for-27.

Duke held the Quakers to 21.9 percent shooting and 21.9 percent OE.

Best goal of the day was the last one. Take a bow, Ryan Hastings.

MCFinARL
02-23-2019, 11:05 PM
This is the second game in a row with no Nakei Montgomery. Sorry if I missed a place where this has been discussed, but is he injured?

Also, very glad Jake Seau is finally getting a chance to play healthy and show what he can do.

roywhite
02-23-2019, 11:14 PM
Not a hard-core fan, but it's hard not to notice how productive Joe Robertson is, now just partway into his sophomore season. Is he on his way to break some scoring records and be one of the best Duke players ever?

burnspbesq
02-24-2019, 08:31 AM
Not a hard-core fan, but it's hard not to notice how productive Joe Robertson is, now just partway into his sophomore season. Is he on his way to break some scoring records and be one of the best Duke players ever?

The Duke (and NCAA) career goal-scoring record is 212, set last year by Justin Guterding. Robertson has 65 so far, 48 last year and 17 so far this year. He would need to average 55 per season over his last three seasons to get to 213. It’s hardly assured, but certainly imaginable.

burnspbesq
02-24-2019, 08:46 AM
Duke’s efficiency numbers through five games are 38.3 percent offensive (elite) and 27.9 defensive (not very good).

chrishoke
02-24-2019, 08:47 AM
This is the second game in a row with no Nakei Montgomery. Sorry if I missed a place where this has been discussed, but is he injured?

\

Good question. He was so good in the NCAAs last year.

budwom
02-24-2019, 09:02 AM
great win vs a solid team...I echo the question, whither Montgomery? He was a force as a freshman...

House G
03-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Duke back in action tonight at Richmond:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25937&SPID=2027&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211793122

House G
03-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Duke scored 2 late goals—game tied 3-3 after first period.

chrishoke
03-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Nakeie is playing and scored to give Duke a 4-3 lead.

House G
03-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Looks like Uppgren only played 2 minutes and gave up 3 goals. Richmond up 5-4 in the third.

DangerDevil
03-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Good guys are back in the lead, 8-6 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

duke2x
03-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Duke wins after an strong 4th quarter, 11-7. McCann did a good job in goal after getting down 3-0.

53n206
03-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Good win. Need to be called the Duke "Ducks." Be glad toes them play in sunshine.

burnspbesq
03-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Strange game. Duke gave up three goals in less than three minutes, then four in 57, including a 24-minute shutout spanning the first and second quarters and a scoreless fourth. McCann looked comfortable in net, and made eight saves against four GA. Duke’s defense had ten CTs. Nice to see Nakeie back and contributing (two goals).

Loyola is next, on Thursday night.

budwom
03-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Strange game. Duke gave up three goals in less than three minutes, then four in 57, including a 24-minute shutout spanning the first and second quarters and a scoreless fourth. McCann looked comfortable in net, and made eight saves against four GA. Duke’s defense had ten CTs. Nice to see Nakeie back and contributing (two goals).

Loyola is next, on Thursday night.
for
I wonder if Uppgren was ailing or just horrific for no particular reason during those first two minutes...sure didn't take long for Coach to pull him, seems like a prudent move.

DST Fan
03-02-2019, 11:45 AM
for
I wonder if Uppgren was ailing or just horrific for no particular reason during those first two minutes...sure didn't take long for Coach to pull him, seems like a prudent move.

It was the latter. There is a post-game interview with Coach D posted at GoDuke in which he confirms he pulled Uppgren because of his play. He also said that Uppgren continues to be the number one goalie and will start against Loyola.

chrishoke
03-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Heels lose to Denver 12-10. Syracuse and Virginia in OT.

burnspbesq
03-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Crazy weekend across D1: eleven one-goal games, including five that went to OT. ND blunted Maryland’s push to be number one after Loyola’s mid-week loss; it’s most likely to be Cornell at the top of this week’s poll, despite the Red’s narrow escape against Albany.

Don’t look now, but first-year program Utah has three wins. Close the balloting now, and give coach of the year to Brian Holman.

Froze several body parts at the Ohio State - Marquette game in Dallas on Saturday. Buckeyes are for real, especially if Inacio is winning a lot of faceoffs. Side note: SMU’s Ford Stadium makes Wally Wade look like a palace by comparison.

devilirium
03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
It was the latter. There is a post-game interview with Coach D posted at GoDuke in which he confirms he pulled Uppgren because of his play. He also said that Uppgren continues to be the number one goalie and will start against Loyola.

Sometimes, it's as easy as he just wasn't seeing the ball. Out of the three goals, there was 1 hard save. It reminded me of Uppgren's play last year in the Denver game (though the 3 goals didn't come quite that quickly).

budwom
03-07-2019, 08:05 AM
bump. Game vs Loyola tonight, ESPNU, DVR opportunity.

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 08:19 AM

And don't forget to bring your dog to the game!

BigWayne
03-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Thanks. Would have missed it.

Bob Green
03-07-2019, 07:29 PM
End of 1st Quarter: Duke 3, Loyola 2

Montgomery with all three Duke goals.

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 07:30 PM
3-2 Duke after one.

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 07:50 PM
5-3 Duke with 3.2 to go in the half. Duke getting killed at the X.

Bob Green
03-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Halftime: Duke 6, Loyola 3

duke2x
03-07-2019, 08:00 PM
6-3 at the half. You are 100% correct about faceoffs. We need to even it out to win this one.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2019, 08:00 PM
No espnu in my hotel. Drats! LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
03-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Brad Smith makes it 7-3 Duke.

Bob Green
03-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Montgomery makes it 8-3 with his fourth goal of the evening.

westwall
03-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Montgomery makes it 8-3 with his fourth goal of the evening.

Now 9-3

duke2x
03-07-2019, 08:19 PM
9-3 after Manown scores.

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Duke dominating. 10-3 with 2 to go In the 3rd.

westwall
03-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Duke dominating. 10-3 with 2 to go In the 3rd.

Now 11-3. Boring?

duke2x
03-07-2019, 08:32 PM
11-3 thanks to Manown. 8 goals in one quarter is very, very rare to comeback.

Bob Green
03-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Boring?

Not at all.

Pghdukie
03-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Funny quote - " That was the longest coach's halftime interview ever "

westwall
Not at all.

Agree! Love it.

MCFinARL
This is terrific! Obviously still a quarter to play but Duke has looked very solid everywhere except at the X--which has worked out okay anyway. Danowski's faith in Uppgren has been rewarded as he has seen the ball very well today, and the defense overall has been solid.

duke2x
03-07-2019, 09:02 PM
12-7 Final. #1 Towson lurks next weekend after the (two) Utes.

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Where is the Towson game?

MCFinARL
03-07-2019, 09:07 PM
12-7 Final. #1 Towson lurks next weekend after the (two) Utes.

Nice reference!

Where is the Towson game?

In Durham. Sat. the 16th, 1 PM. This game, a respectable one when scheduled, is now a big deal one. Go Duke!

chrishoke
03-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Nice reference!

In Durham. Sat. the 16th, 1 PM. This game, a respectable one when scheduled, is now a big deal one. Go Duke!

Awesome, thanks. We need a big crowd at that one. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

53n206
03-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Really good team play. Great D! Our offense was particularly good as different players lead the way.

buddy
03-07-2019, 09:16 PM
No espnu in my hotel. Drats! LGD GTHc!

Coach Danowski requests you stay there for every ESPNU telecast!

burnspbesq
03-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Van Raaphorst was brilliant against Spencer, and he did it mostly on an island.

The ground ball disparity was huge. Particularly in the third quarter, Duke was quicker to the ball and more willing to do the dirty work.

Duke’s riding game was enormous. The disparity in failed clears more than made up for only going 9-for-22 at X.

Montgomery is an instructional video come to life. His mechanics on his shot are impeccable.

Native
03-08-2019, 12:09 AM
Outstanding defensive effort today both from the players and the coaching staff. Our guys were clearly well-prepared to deal with a high-powered offense. I really liked the choice of shutting off Lindley and daring Spencer to try and beat Duke one-dimensionally.

75Crazie
03-08-2019, 08:25 AM
I was impressed by the number of saves made by Uppgren. Particularly in the first half, Loyola was limited to a number of "one-and-outs".

DST Fan
03-08-2019, 08:50 AM
I was impressed by the number of saves made by Uppgren. Particularly in the first half, Loyola was limited to a number of "one-and-outs".

Agreed. I was glad to see Uppgren bounce back after being pulled in the Richmond game.

A few other takeaways for me from the game:

It was nice to have the scoring come from other players when Joe Robertson had a relatively quiet game in terms of scoring.

Brad Smith seems to be back at full speed from the surgery and showed some explosiveness.

Joey Manown continues to make big contributions and Nakeie Montgomery continues to improve, now that he is healthy.

The team showed general toughness and the difference in ground balls (35-19) overwhelmed Loyola.

The team seems to be improving each week, but could still cut down a few of the turnovers.

Native
03-08-2019, 10:29 AM

+1. I also thought he did a great job in the clearing game, making the right outlet passes without forcing anything.

budwom
03-08-2019, 12:58 PM
When it comes to conveying information and speaking in refreshingly non coachspeak, Coach D is absolutely the best. No posturing or BS from him, he's a very very impressive guy.
I've had the opportunity to chat him up several times, and he's a gem of a fellow...

DST Fan
03-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Duke will not be playing the number one team in the country on Saturday. Cornell knocked off Towson today by a score of 18-11.

Ohio State (6-0) is the only undefeated D-1 team left, but hasn’t beaten a strong team team. I am guessing that Maryland, Duke or, maybe, Penn State will be number one tomorrow.

DST Fan
03-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Duke will not be playing the number one team in the country on Saturday. Cornell knocked off Towson today by a score of 18-11.

Ohio State (6-0) is the only undefeated D-1 team left, but hasn’t beaten a strong team team. I am guessing that Maryland, Duke or, maybe, Penn State will be number one tomorrow.

I see Cornell was number two in this week’s media poll, so I assume that answers who takes over the number one spot tomorrow.

burnspbesq
03-10-2019, 07:21 PM
I see Cornell was number two in this week’s media poll, so I assume that answers who takes over the number one spot tomorrow.

Not necessarily, as Cornell got whomped by Penn State on Friday night.

One thing we know for certain is that Duke won’t be number one in the media poll tomorrow. There is a strong strain of ABD in the lax punditocracy.

budwom
03-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Not necessarily, as Cornell got whomped by Penn State on Friday night.

One thing we know for certain is that Duke won’t be number one in the media poll tomorrow. There is a strong strain of ABD in the lax punditocracy.

But not everywhere...Kessenich (in his weekly excellent column on InsideLacrosse.com) has Duke number one.

Not a bad time to once again mention that the trio of broadcasters ESPNU throws out there for its prime games (Kessenich, Carcaterra, Shroff) is hands down the best, most knowledgeable group of announcers
I think I've heard in any sport...they actually discuss the game being played, they do the work to know the teams, coaches, and players, and do an all around terrific job...

burnspbesq
03-11-2019, 10:11 AM
But not everywhere...Kessenich (in his weekly excellent column on InsideLacrosse.com) has Duke number one.

Not a bad time to once again mention that the trio of broadcasters ESPNU throws out there for its prime games (Kessenich, Carcaterra, Shroff) is hands down the best, most knowledgeable group of announcers
I think I've heard in any sport...they actually discuss the game being played, they do the work to know the teams, coaches, and players, and do an all around terrific job...

They are very good ... but I still miss McEnaney.

fuse
03-11-2019, 08:26 PM
https://twitter.com/dukemlax/status/1105258634991337473?s=21

Excellent video.
I’d love for anyone to explain to me (other than duh, he’s a goalie) as to why the Loyola goalie doesn’t get called for the cross check?
Blatant is a polite word.

MarkD83
03-12-2019, 01:34 AM
I was looking at the lacrosse schedule and saw that Marquette is marked as an ACC game. Is that a misprint? If not does a 6 team league get an automatic NCAA bid?

Indoor66
03-12-2019, 07:45 AM
https://twitter.com/dukemlax/status/1105258634991337473?s=21

Excellent video.
I’d love for anyone to explain to me (other than duh, he’s a goalie) as to why the Loyola goalie doesn’t get called for the cross check?
Blatant is a polite word.

'Cause Jennifer Garner is not in attendance?

fuse
03-12-2019, 10:06 AM
'Cause Jennifer Garner is not in attendance?

I have to admit this response is beyond my comprehension. Disappointed in myself for missing snark or humour.

Indoor66
03-12-2019, 10:18 AM
I have to admit this response is beyond my comprehension. Disappointed in myself for missing snark or humour.

The Capital One hockey commercial.

BD80
03-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Crass consumerism

DukieInKansas
03-12-2019, 10:32 AM

I think I am sad that I did get the reference. Although, it is the one that I always chuckle at when I see it.

fuse
03-12-2019, 02:23 PM
The Capital One hockey commercial.

Saw it during Miami/Wake ACCT game. Now I get it 🤣

DangerDevil
03-12-2019, 07:28 PM
End of the 1st
Duke 6 - Utah 3

duke2x
03-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Tied 6-6 after a 6(?)-1 start. UT is further ahead than your average new D1 team, but we need fewer TOs.

DangerDevil
03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
I think it is only 3 in a row for Utah but our offense is playing too sloppily and the defense and goalie look lost.

DangerDevil
03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Duke played a sloppy 2nd quarter and actually trailed 7-6, we took a shot from midfield that was deflected in with 2.5 seconds left to tie at the half.

Whatever Coach Dano said at the half worked, we out scored the Utes 7-0 in the 3rd quarter.

Duke 14-7 start of the 4th.

duke2x
03-12-2019, 09:09 PM
17-11 final. Towson is next.

BigWayne
03-13-2019, 03:01 AM
I was looking at the lacrosse schedule and saw that Marquette is marked as an ACC game. Is that a misprint? If not does a 6 team league get an automatic NCAA bid?

Copy/paste error. Marquette is in the Big East, which added Denver to get to 6 teams and have an auto bid.

ACC is at 5 teams. If the ACC ever deteriorates to where the auto bid is needed, it will mean the college lacrosse landscape has changed dramatically.

budwom
03-13-2019, 08:22 AM
I would imagine that Coach D had some choice halftime words for the boys...11-1 run after going down 7-6...

burnspbesq
03-13-2019, 02:15 PM
The worst part of last night’s game was the similarity between the sets that Utah ran in its second-quarter run to those that High Point ran in its fourth-quarter run. Every team left on our schedule will be going to school on those tapes.

BigWayne
03-13-2019, 03:01 PM
The worst part of last night’s game was the similarity between the sets that Utah ran in its second-quarter run to those that High Point ran in its fourth-quarter run. Every team left on our schedule will be going to school on those tapes.

So did Utah abandon what was working for them or did Duke figure out how to defend it?

DukieInKansas
03-16-2019, 02:56 PM
11-9 Duke with less than a minute left. Hope this doesn't change - unless the 11 increases.

It just changed to 12.

AGDukesky
03-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Looks like Duke holds on 12-10

burnspbesq
03-16-2019, 05:42 PM
That was a tremendous game by both sides.

Duke went deep into the bag of tricks: shutoffs, reverse shutoffs (leaving a defensive player in the offensive zone so that Towson couldn't get its zone defense unit on), double-poling on face-offs to neutralize Woodall (who was as advertised). The real game-changer was Duke's defense and ride; Towson committed 25 turnovers, the biggest of which were the back-to-back blown clears in the fourth quarter (caused turnovers by Smith and Quigley), eventually leading to a goal. Welch, van Raaphorst, and Giles-Harris all contributed big plays in transition, and Ginder's goal was a big momentum changer. When you go 9-for-25 on face-offs, and the opposing GT has 16 saves, but you win, you did a lot of things right.

Brad Smith isn't going to score enough to make All-American on attack, but that was a MVP-type performance.

On to ACC play, somewhere in Central New York at some time next weekend. The Cuse women's basketball team is likely to be hosting NCAA first- and second-round games in the Dome, so the venue for the lax game is very much up in the air. Let's play on the Onondaga Nation; the Creator would approve.

DST Fan
03-16-2019, 07:32 PM
That was a tremendous game by both sides.

Duke went deep into the bag of tricks: shutoffs, reverse shutoffs (leaving a defensive player in the offensive zone so that Towson couldn't get its zone defense unit on), double-poling on face-offs to neutralize Woodall (who was as advertised). The real game-changer was Duke's defense and ride; Towson committed 25 turnovers, the biggest of which were the back-to-back blown clears in the fourth quarter (caused turnovers by Smith and Quigley), eventually leading to a goal. Welch, van Raaphorst, and Giles-Harris all contributed big plays in transition, and Ginder's goal was a big momentum changer. When you go 9-for-25 on face-offs, and the opposing GT has 16 saves, but you win, you did a lot of things right.

Brad Smith isn't going to score enough to make All-American on attack, but that was a MVP-type performance.

On to ACC play, somewhere in Central New York at some time next weekend. The Cuse women's basketball team is likely to be hosting NCAA first- and second-round games in the Dome, so the venue for the lax game is very much up in the air. Let's play on the Onondaga Nation; the Creator would approve.

That’s a very complete summary of the game.

The game was up for grabs going into the fourth quarter and Duke did everything it needed to do to beat a very solid team. Brad Smith delivered a Guterding-seque performance and played a fine all round game.

The team has improved considerably since early February and I am looking forward to watching ACC play.

duke2x
03-19-2019, 12:03 AM
The Duke @ Syracuse lax game has been moved outside to a local high school so Syracuse can host in the NCAA-W basketball tournament.

https://cuse.com/news/2019/3/18/mens-lacrosse-syracuse-vs-duke-moved-to-cns-stadium.aspx

This is more FYI than anything else. Syracuse has been a thorn in our side the past few years. We can and need to beat them. UVA is already 2-0 in the ACC with UNC and @Duke to go.

bigperm13
03-19-2019, 02:58 AM
The Duke @ Syracuse lax game has been moved outside to a local high school so Syracuse can host in the NCAA-W basketball tournament.

https://cuse.com/news/2019/3/18/mens-lacrosse-syracuse-vs-duke-moved-to-cns-stadium.aspx

This is more FYI than anything else. Syracuse has been a thorn in our side the past few years. We can and need to beat them. UVA is already 2-0 in the ACC with UNC and @Duke to go.

They sure have been a thorn in our sides. I still vividly remember the disappointment driving back from Chester to Philly after the ACC championship game in 2015 (I think). I was positive at the time that Myles, Deemer and the rest of their class were not going to lose an NCAA game in their careers.

budwom
03-19-2019, 08:06 AM
probably a plus for Duke, not having to play in the Dome...does the HS field have real grass?

burnspbesq
03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
probably a plus for Duke, not having to play in the Dome...does the HS field have real grass?

Aerial photo on the school district website makes it look artificial.

https://www.nscsd.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1357

sagegrouse
03-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Aerial photo on the school district website makes it look artificial.

https://www.nscsd.org/districtpage.cfm?pageid=1357

No surprise. This is Upstate New York in March.

budwom
03-19-2019, 02:19 PM
No surprise. This is Upstate New York in March.

yeah, our high school teams literally play baseball with snow banks around the field...and mud everywhere. Ugly.

DST Fan
03-19-2019, 07:35 PM
They sure have been a thorn in our sides. I still vividly remember the disappointment driving back from Chester to Philly after the ACC championship game in 2015 (I think). I was positive at the time that Myles, Deemer and the rest of their class were not going to lose an NCAA game in their careers.

Well, there was the 2013 NCAA championship game . . . .

I hope ESPN will be able to move enough equipment to the high school field to be be able to televise the game. ESPNU is scheduled to carry the game and I believe I saw that Myles Jones will be the analyst.

DST Fan
03-22-2019, 08:03 AM
The weather forecast for Syracuse is a typical spring day—4-8 inches of snow over the next 24 hours, wind gusts of 40 mph and a high temperature of 36 tomorrow. However, I haven’t seen anything yet about canceling the game.

75Crazie
03-23-2019, 06:38 PM
The Syracuse forecasts I'm seeing for tomorrow are now showing 0% chance of precip? Did the storm make a right turn at Albuquerque?

-jk
03-23-2019, 06:42 PM
The Syracuse forecasts I'm seeing for tomorrow are now showing 0% chance of precip? Did the storm make a right turn at Albuquerque?

You should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TUwHTfOOU

-jk

budwom
03-24-2019, 08:56 AM

it took a right turn at Syracuse and I ended up with 18 inches of concrete heavy wet snow...just another Spring day.

DangerDevil
03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
This will be the 1st outdoor home game for Syracuse lacrosse in 30 years.

Rich
03-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Thuffering Thuccotash!

House G
03-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Duke has gone 20 minutes without a goal but leads 6-3 heading to the 4th period.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 03:41 PM
Duke finally scores - on a fast break - but the Orange get one right back on a question mark shot. 7-4 w/ 7 min to go.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 03:43 PM
Brad Smith! 8-4.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Here come the Orange. 8-7 Duke w/ 3 to go.

House G
03-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Rug roh raggy. 8-7 with 3:15 to play.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
8-8 Syracuse is dominating play. Wake up Duke!

WiJoe
03-24-2019, 03:59 PM
lack of success at X is a problem with this team.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 04:00 PM
We are leaving guys wide open in front of the net.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 04:02 PM
They hit the pipe. Going to OT, limping.

chrishoke
03-24-2019, 04:15 PM
5-0 run to end the game Syracuse wins in OT 9-8.

75Crazie
03-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Wow, what an incredibly bad effort by Duke in the fourth quarter and OT. They had no business losing that game, but stupid fouls, lack of ability to pick up ground balls, and lost men in front of the defensive goal allowed Syracuse to get back in the game and win it. This was a bad one to lose.

buddy
03-24-2019, 04:44 PM
Failure to control face-offs, inability to cause turnovers, and an offense that lost all coherence explain this. Uppgren played well. The defense was on the field way too much. But mostly the offense showed a lack of urgency in attacking the net, and it seemed the wrong people were taking the shots. Very disappointing loss.

-jk
03-24-2019, 04:46 PM
Failure to control face-offs, inability to cause turnovers, and an offense that lost all coherence explain this. Uppgren played well. The defense was on the field way too much. But mostly the offense showed a lack of urgency in attacking the net, and it seemed the wrong people were taking the shots. Very disappointing loss.

Fortunately we've got about a month to go in the regular season to work the kinks out!

-jk

duke2x
03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
That one hurts. If we want to win the ACC Tournament final, we need to win the next 3, which is doable.

GTHC.

Bob Green
03-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Duke at Carolina will be on ESPNU as soon as the Syracuse at Notre Dame game finishes. Six minutes left in that one.

Bob Green
03-30-2019, 02:25 PM
End of 1Q: Carolina 3, Duke 2.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 02:44 PM
5-2 Heels. Duke is continuing our lethargic play from the Syracuse game. We had a one minute man up and couldn't even generate a shot.

Bob Green
03-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Halftime: Duke down 5-3.

yancem
03-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Sloppy first half but the good guys tie it up at 6-6 in the third. Actually won a couple of face offs and getting better attacking angles.

-jk
03-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Sloppy first half but the good guys tie it up at 6-6 in the third. Actually won a couple of face offs and getting better attacking angles.

Let's Go Duke! 9F!

-jk

yancem
03-30-2019, 03:26 PM
7-6 Duke. Montgomery with 2 in a row!!

Edit, make hat 8-6 and 3 in a row for Montgomery.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Four straight goals by the good guys.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Montgomery w/ the laser! 8-6. He has three goals in the third quarter.

bigperm13
03-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Nakeie on fire!

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Heels w/ three in a row to lead 9-8.

Bob Green
03-30-2019, 03:37 PM
End of 3Q: Carolina 9, Duke 8.

Heels go on a 3-0 run to close the 3rd.

yancem
03-30-2019, 03:38 PM
Well, crap! unc with a 3 goal rally to end the third.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 03:55 PM
Still losing 9-8 w/ 5 to go.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 04:02 PM
10-8 heels. Their goalie has 19 saves.

chrishoke
03-30-2019, 04:07 PM
10-8 final. Duke shut out in the 4th.

Bob Green
03-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Duke fails to score in the 4th quarter and loses 10-8. We had several turnovers down the stretch.

bigperm13
03-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Very bad loss. Their goalie stood on his head.

53n206
03-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Last 2 games disappointing.

DST Fan
03-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Similar to the Syracuse game, the team suffered a collapse, which turned the game around. Today, it was giving up three goals in less than 90 seconds at the end of the third quarter. The EMO unit was not sharp and only converted on 2 of 9 chances and, in the last few minutes, turnovers hurt.

This is a talented group and, hopefully, the team can regroup for the remaining ACC games.

yancem
03-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Yeah, disappointing finish. unc's goalie was great but we also took some poor shots. Would be great if we could do better on faceoffs.

duke2x
03-30-2019, 09:49 PM
Ouch. I've found Duke's sports luck tends to remain the same over a weekend. Last weekend was bad for lax and baseball--barely good for basketball. This weekend has been the same way, and it's not over.

http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/ncaapb01.php

Good news: We are still #7 in the NCAA formula. That should give us a NCAA home game barely. (I know it's way too early, but I wanted to add the link.)
Bad news: UNC is #66 and will never be a good loss this year. The ACC is on pace to get 3 teams in. We'll need to beat ND and UVA at home to be one of those 3.

DST Fan
03-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Coach Danowski provides a candid evaluation of the team in this UNC post-game interview.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6316562

devilirium
03-31-2019, 03:52 PM
Coach Danowski provides a candid evaluation of the team in this UNC post-game interview.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6316562

Love that about Dano. No coach speak, and he's on point. It's like running a motion offense without anyone who can initiate and take over a game. Lot of indecision. There are a few complementary players that have been thrust into the spotlight--Jake Seau, for one--and there have been a lot of growing pains on offense. Even so, Duke is 8-3. I think they can possibly get a win at ND, and beat Marquette (hopefully), but it's a bridge year.

duke2x
04-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Hopefully the rain that fell on Duke last weekend finished last night and a good weekend awaits. Duke hosts ND at noon at Koskinen.

duke2x
04-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Duke losing 3-1 essentially after 1 quarter.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Holy crap do we look bad. Unforced errors and missed assignments, penalties. I don't recognize this team.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 12:39 PM
LOL, with that said, Duke scores three quick goals to take a 4-3b lead.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Montgomery with the double juke move of the year for a 7-4 Duke lead. He is amazing!

Bob Green
04-06-2019, 01:20 PM
8-5 Duke early in 3rd Quarter. I just came inside from working in the yard so it is time to take a break and watch sports.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 01:32 PM
8-5 Duke early in 3rd Quarter. I just came inside from working in the yard so it is time to take a break and watch sports.

That's why you have to do the yard work in the am. :D

9-5 now. Duke is really benefitting from the move of Brad Smith back to midfield.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Montgomery with another outstanding play at the end of the 3rd, assist to Roberson for a 10-6 lead. He is a joy to watch.

DukieInKansas
04-06-2019, 01:41 PM
I want a shirt like Matt Danowski is wearing - can you buy a Regan #10 shirt?

Bob Green
04-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Brad Smith with another goal to give Duke a 12-6 lead.

Native
04-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Defense looks stout. Uppgren having a great game in the cage!

75Crazie
04-06-2019, 01:55 PM
After a bad first quarter, we have looked like a completely different team. It is nice to see this team play up to its potential.

Native
04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Why Notre Dame would ever match a shortstick on Montgomery, I haven’t a clue. He’s making them pay.

chrishoke
04-06-2019, 02:09 PM
14-8 final. I love beating ND and their whiney coach.

53n206
04-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Finally finally! Looking like we should.

yancem
04-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Where was that offense last week? It looks like Smith might prefer middle 🙃.

bigperm13
04-06-2019, 02:30 PM
if this team plays like it did the last 3 quarters the potential is a championship. First round exit if they play like they did in the first quarter. Moving Smith back to the midfield looks to be the exact right move. On to the Hoos...

DukieInKansas
04-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Does the team have to win the Conference tournament to go to the NCAA tournament or is an at large bid possible? (Just can't remember)

budwom
04-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Does the team have to win the Conference tournament to go to the NCAA tournament or is an at large bid possible? (Just can't remember)

at large overwhelmingly probable...many top 10 wins, they're in.

duke2x
04-06-2019, 03:47 PM

All ACC teams are at-large. The ACC is not a league for lacrosse purposes because we need a 6th member. (Thus, UNC might not get a bid even if they go 6-0 against ACC teams because they were #68 today.)

My easier way to count: seeds 1-12 go to the ACC, B10, BE, Ivy, and Patriot, the latter three sometimes not getting multiple bids. The top 8 seeds get a home game for round 1. Duke was probably #9 this AM before the ND game.

DukieInKansas
04-06-2019, 04:02 PM
at large overwhelmingly probable...many top 10 wins, they're in.

All ACC teams are at-large. The ACC is not a league for lacrosse purposes because we need a 6th member. (Thus, UNC might not get a bid even if they go 6-0 against ACC teams because they were #68 today.)

My easier way to count: seeds 1-12 go to the ACC, B10, BE, Ivy, and Patriot, the latter three sometimes not getting multiple bids. The top 8 seeds get a home game for round 1. Duke was probably #9 this AM before the ND game.

Thank you. I had forgotten about the "not enough teams" thing.

buddy
04-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Better win next weekend against UVA. A loss and we play in the play in game. The loss to unc was particularly hurtful. Looked like today they starting put an attack in front of the goalie. Made the offense far more effective.

budwom
04-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Better win next weekend against UVA. A loss and we play in the play in game. The loss to unc was particularly hurtful. Looked like today they starting put an attack in front of the goalie. Made the offense far more effective.

They put Smith back at midfield, which was the key adjustment, and there he shall stay based on yesterday's result.

burnspbesq
04-07-2019, 05:41 PM
That was quite a bounce-back.

Loved the defense. We out-ND’ed ND, swarming and being very physical. Gleason and Costabile, who had combined for 37 percent of ND’s goals coming in, got very little other than bruises. Quite a coming-out party for Wilson Stephenson (three CTs). The man-down unit, which arguably cost us the Syracuse game, held ND to 0-for-5.

Career days for Lowrie and Carpenter on attack. Carpenter’s skip pass to set up Smith in the fourth quarter was a thing of beauty, and it was fun when ESPN caught a shot of his mom (Coach Nagel, for those who don’t know) going a little nuts after his first goal.

The team that whomped ND 13-5 over the final 45 minutes is a serious threat to play on Memorial Day.

burnspbesq
04-07-2019, 05:49 PM
Why Notre Dame would ever match a shortstick on Montgomery, I haven’t a clue. He’s making them pay.

Choose your poison. If you double-pole Smith and Montgomery, you have a close defenseman in an unfamiliar part of the field, and a shortie on one of Manown, Lowrie, or Carpenter. Or you double-shift your LSMs and they are gassed in the fourth quarter.

burnspbesq
04-12-2019, 11:27 PM
A couple of things to ponder over Saturday’s pre-game meal (in addition to the age-old quandry, corn or flour).

We’re now well into bracketology season, and both IL and collegecrosse.com project Duke as the number two overall seed, behind only Penn State. I needed some convincing initially, but I think if Duke goes 3-1 or 4-1 the rest of the way, it could happen.

First, a Duke schedule that didn’t look all that imposing in January turned out to be Murderer’s Row. Duke is number two in SOS, and number five in RPI, with five wins against the RPI top 20. In addition, Duke is one of only two teams with two RPI top five wins.

An aspect of the projected bracket that I am firmly rejecting is the idea of four bids for the Big 10. Lehigh has a better resume than Hop, and High Point is a lock even if Richmond wins the SoCon AQ. The Panthers are the other team with two RPI top five wins.

As far as the ACC tournament is concerned, your guess is as good as mine. UVa has locked up the top seed, because even if we beat them and either ND or Carolina finishes 3-1, the Hoos have the head to head win. The most likely scenario for Duke to be the two seed seems to be a four-way tie at 2-2; Duke would likely have the best goal difference in the relevant games. If Duke loses on Saturday, they are in the 4-5 game, and the only open question is whether they wear white or blue.

Bob Green
04-13-2019, 11:42 AM
So much for my 12:00 noon social plans:

@DukeMLAX

We are in a weather delay here at Koskinen Stadium. Teams have returned to the locker rooms.

duke2x
04-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Excellent post. ND beat Syracuse, which changes things. I did all 8 scenarios for the ACC Tournament. Duke is a #2-4 seed with a win today, but 2 Les Robinson invites possible. (One of those requires ND to beat UNC in Arlotta next weekend by a 3-2 score, which is never out of the realm of possibility for the Irish.) Duke is a #3-5 seed with a loss today, but only 1 way out of the Les Robinson Invite. 2/3 of the puzzle is figured out by 6PM tonight.

There's going to be some awkward politics for the ACC this season. UVA is in and hosting regardless. Duke had the #1 RPI (on Laxbytes last night) but could play in the Les Robinson game. Syracuse and ND are on the happy side of the RPI bubble but probably not hosting. UNC is #55 in the RPI and moves up about 10 spots by losing to an ACC opponent. Winning the ACC Tournament is probably their only chance to get in, and it's not guaranteed.

Bob Green
04-13-2019, 12:04 PM
New start time for today's game against UVa is 4:30 pm.

duke2x
04-13-2019, 12:04 PM
So much for my 12:00 noon social plans:

The delay might be until 4:30? (which means no TV) I'd change your dinner plans.

burnspbesq
04-13-2019, 12:07 PM
New start time for today's game against UVa is 4:30 pm.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the game gets moved to the turf fields. The playing surface at Koskinen looks bloody awful.

duke2x
04-13-2019, 12:17 PM
The break in the rain is 5-8PM on accuweather. I hope Duke will run the camera on the pole online since it won't be on TV. I agree on the turf field.

Bob Green
04-13-2019, 12:51 PM
The game will be available on WatchESPN:

@DukeMLAX
39m39 minutes ago

OFFICIAL: The game will no longer be aired on ESPNU. Fans can still catch it on WatchESPN.

75Crazie
04-13-2019, 06:10 PM
Only status I can find is at GoDuke (I do not have access to WatchESPN): 8-6 Duke starting the fourth quarter.

bigperm13
04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
11-6 Duke now. 6 straight for the good guys.

chrishoke
04-13-2019, 06:29 PM
Six straight goals for the good guys!

75Crazie
04-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Assuming we hold on, that means a 3-way tie for 2nd. Is in-conference goal differential the tie-breaker to determine who has to play in the play-in game?

duke2x
04-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Assuming we hold on, that means a 3-way tie for 2nd. Is in-conference goal differential the tie-breaker to determine who has to play in the play-in game?

I believe it's goals allowed, but it doesn't matter in this case. Duke dominated ND while ND only won by 3 over Syracuse. We play nemesis ND either way.

ND win = UVA, Duke, ND, Syracuse, UNC
UNC win = UVA, Syracuse, UNC, Duke, ND

75Crazie
04-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Sorry, not really understanding the ordering in your listings. If uNC beats ND, then Duke has to play in the play-in game? Is that because of the head-to-head-to-head factor among those three teams (Duke, uNC, and Syracuse), which trumps goal differential? Shoot, that means even more incentive to root against the cheating humps (not that I need any more).