PDA

View Full Version : Split Screen

TeacherTom
01-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Do you find it sublime or subpar? I'm not a fan of it. I find it difficult to follow the game on the smaller screen.

rsvman
01-24-2019, 10:27 AM
I hate it.

And they are usually doing it in order to show something I have no interest in whatsoever, like focusing on a celebrity on the sidelines or interviewing a former player, or whatever. If they never did a split-screen during a game again, I'd be fine with that.

Indoor66
01-24-2019, 10:29 AM
I hate it.

And they are usually doing it in order to show something I have no interest in whatsoever, like focusing on a celebrity on the sidelines or interviewing a former player, or whatever. If they never did a split-screen during a game again, I'd be fine with that.

You got that right.

DukeDevil
01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Do you find it sublime or subpar? I'm not a fan of it. I find it difficult to follow the game on the smaller screen.

I think you mean picture in picture? For that I'd agree with you, the small screen is useless. The appleTV ESPN app with the newer appleTVs has a split screen right down the middle, 50/50, and you can swipe to move the audio to which one you want to hear. It's great when I feel like having more than one game on that's I'm not super invested in (such as any Duke game, to bring this back on topic) and that way I can swap audio easily during commercials. You can add 3 more to have 4 games on at once, but then it does a large and 3 small screens, and that I don't find useful.

Edit:
ohhhhhh you mean like when ESPN splits the screen. Yeah F that...super annoying. Impossible to follow. If I wanted weird interviews and shots to take up part of my screen I'd log onto one of those other channels they have, like above the rim or the player focused camera.

PSurprise
01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
I agree with rsvman-it should go the way of the Booger Mobile. I was watching the Kentucky game and I think they caught Calimari picking his nose or something, all while action is going on at 1/2 size.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2019, 10:35 AM
I hate it.

dittos ^^^

UrinalCake
01-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Just gives me an excuse to buy a bigger TV!

CrazyNotCrazie
01-24-2019, 10:37 AM
The should stick to a single picture of the standard midcourt elevated camera angle for all live action unless something really compelling is happening (maybe a quick shot of an injured player or something like that). I do not like the split screen and I don't like when they try to use other camera angles for live action - they are great for replays but that is it. And keep the on-airs of the announcers to a minimum also. Among the many reasons why ESPN Monday night football was so bad this year was them constantly showing Jason Witten and Joe Tess awkwardly talking with each other rather than keeping the camera on the field.

Pghdukie
01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Send the split screen down the same path as the ill-fated hockey puck highlight. Both very annoying.

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Very annoying, agreed.

And while we’re at it, they can also lose the too-large graphics that cover a 1/3 of either the left or right side of the screen screen depending on which direction the action is going.

Just because we have 16:9 aspect ratio, it doesn’t mean we want to fill up to one-half the screen with junk we didn’t tune in to see!

bluesin
01-24-2019, 11:31 AM
I don't understand why they think I need numbers roughly the size of the players on the floor to tell me what kind of night Zion is having. I get it, he's playing well, I have a 70 inch television so I can see the small numbers just fine even from across the room. The graphics department at ESPN must be under some kind of pressure to prove their worth and are overcompensating. Also they don't even shrink the picture of the game, they just cut off part of it and hope the camera guy adjusts, that's just incompetent. Do they think I don't like seeing the baseline or the point guard while the game is being played? Because that's what ends up happening.

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 11:34 AM
I don't understand why they think I need numbers roughly the size of the players on the floor to tell me what kind of night Zion is having. I get it, he's playing well, I have a 70 inch television so I can see the small numbers just fine even from across the room. The graphics department at ESPN must be under some kind of pressure to prove their worth and are overcompensating. Also they don't even shrink the picture of the game, they just cut off part of it and hope the camera guy adjusts, that's just incompetent. Do they think I don't like seeing the baseline or the point guard while the game is being played? Because that's what ends up happening.

Preach, brother!

Can I get an “Amen” from the choir?!

thedukelamere
01-24-2019, 11:36 AM
I hate it.

What, you didn't think the behind the scenes look at the little suite area where the rich Pitt fans could load up on steak eggrolls during the game was equally as important as our offensive possession? :p

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
What, you didn't think the behind the scenes look at the little suite area where the rich Pitt fans could load up on steak eggrolls during the game was equally as important as our offensive possession? :p

Right?

If I recall, they didn’t even split screen part of that so they could show the view from there. (Which totally sucked from the vantage point the camera gave us!)

Really bad television that was!

gus
01-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Those split screens during action are the most infuriating thing. I hate it with the heat of a thousand suns. One of the worst things about march is when they give Lunardi his own half of the screen to talk about seeding, and relegate the game to an after thought box on the side. THE GAME IS THE REASON WE ARE WATCHING. No one wants to watch Lunardi talk.

remember when they used to compress the image vertically to get a ticker going on the bottom, making all the players look short and fat? Or, watch the gone in 54 seconds game and go twitchy remembering the stupid winter x games ad overlays.

budwom
01-24-2019, 12:03 PM
While we're at it, I'm not a fan of the directors who routinely don't even show the inbounds pass, especially since occasionally something important happens, e.g. a steal.

bluesin
01-24-2019, 12:07 PM
remember when they used to compress the image vertically to get a ticker going on the bottom, making all the players look short and fat?

The worst part is now I'm remembering that fondly because they can't even get that right! I'd watch all our players look like 7.5 foot tall rails (and Zion look just like average proportioned I guess) if it meant they squished the picture vertically so I could see the whole court.

rasputin
01-24-2019, 12:15 PM
I agree with almost everything that has been posted in this thread. The so-called celebrity interviews are the worst, but there are other things they do that are just as annoying. Just because you CAN embed a tiny camera in the ground near home plate doesn't mean that it's a good idea. And the on-the-field interviews of players in the field during last year's All-Star Game, in my view, was a new low.

I also get really annoyed when the play-by-play and color people are talking about each other during the game. I don't give a rat's patootie about these announcers. There are a few who are good, but most are terrible.

kako
01-24-2019, 12:19 PM
If we are talking about the stats that are showing up on the left side of the screen, taking up about 1/4 of the screen - I can't imagine who likes this. Bad idea for the fan who actually is trying to watch live action (should be most people). But now I wonder - are these screens sponsored? Brought to us by Nationwide or something like that? I need to actually read them next time to see. If so, I'm pretty sure they will stick around for a while, at least until the sponsorship contract runs out.

9F

jacone21
01-24-2019, 12:40 PM
I agree with rsvman-it should go the way of the Booger Mobile. I was watching the Kentucky game and I think they caught Calimari picking his nose or something, all while action is going on at 1/2 size.

The other night when they kept showing Calipari during live action (usually after something negative happened for UK... trying to catch him whining), I told my wife, "Nobody in the world wants to see him in split screen instead of the game except maybe his mother, or his dog." Seriously, who is their audience for that?

I hate all the graphics and split screen. I actually have a long piece of cardboard that I velcro to the bottom bezel of my TV during games in order to block the giant flashing yellow SCORE ALERT! and other graphics on the bottom of the screen. I've been blocking that bottom line (which is 3 times larger with ads now) nonsense for years. But this year, with the 1/3 screen overlays, ESPN has lost their minds.

ETA: I notice they don't do it during NBA games... so they know it's annoying and stupid. But they do it anyway. Gotta be $$$ in it for them.
/rant

weezie
01-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Chiming in. Split screen showing some nitwit chit chat then zip nothing on the the actual foul might have been.

sagegrouse
01-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Chiming in. Split screen showing some nitwit chit chat then zip nothing on the the actual foul might have been.

I like to watch the game on a screen that's roughly 425 sq. inches. When the TV producers go to split screen, it reduces to no more than 155 sq. inches. Utterly aggravating.

When the game is on local TV, whenever there is storm activity anywhere in Colorado, the TV automatically converts to reducing the size of the picture to include a map of Colorado and storm activity. Never once has the winter storm activity been anywhere near where I live. Most of the activity is on the relatively unpopulated plains east of Denver. This mostly affects warm-weather coverage like golf and football.

budwom
01-24-2019, 01:44 PM
I like to watch the game on a screen that's roughly 425 sq. inches. When the TV producers go to split screen, it reduces to no more than 155 sq. inches. Utterly aggravating.

When the game is on local TV, whenever there is storm activity anywhere in Colorado, the TV automatically converts to reducing the size of the picture to include a map of Colorado and storm activity. Never once has the winter storm activity been anywhere near where I live. Most of the activity is on the relatively unpopulated plains east of Denver. This mostly affects warm-weather coverage like golf and football.

indeed, the local network affiliates are killing me this year with the Winter Storm Warning scroll....our whole winter is one long Winter Storm Warning and they run the scroll constantly...both reducing the screen size and distorting the picture.

DoubleDuke Dad
01-24-2019, 01:54 PM
The only rational explanation for doing this is that ESPN hates their viewers, so they are doing everything that can think of to annoy them. If they think the split screen or banner is so compelling, why don’t they show it during a commercial? I am sure that the sponsor would be all for it.

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 02:26 PM
indeed, the local network affiliates are killing me this year with the Winter Storm Warning scroll...our whole winter is one long Winter Storm Warning and they run the scroll constantly...both reducing the screen size and distorting the picture.

I much prefer that to the times they go to full, in studio weather reporting to track a tornado or severe storm. In that case, you see nothing!

rasputin
01-24-2019, 03:01 PM
The only rational explanation for doing this is that ESPN hates their viewers, so they are doing everything that can think of to annoy them. If they think the split screen or banner is so compelling, why don’t they show it during a commercial? I am sure that the sponsor would be all for it.

Actually, they do that sometimes. In golf broadcasts they call it "playing through" or something to that effect, and in quick commercial breaks, they go to a split screen. It still is an annoyance.

DoubleDuke Dad
01-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Actually, they do that sometimes. In golf broadcasts they call it "playing through" or something to that effect, and in quick commercial breaks, they go to a split screen. It still is an annoyance.

Actually that is just a way of adding additional commercials to the broadcast. They do something similar in baseball when a team replaces its pitcher. They still have all of their standard commercials that are broadcast between half innings.