PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Georgia Tech (Sat, Jan 26, 12pm, ACCN OTA) Pre/In-Game Thread

awhom111
01-24-2019, 12:11 AM
We actually got TV info well in advance for once.

TV Stations:
http://theacc.com/sports/2019/1/3/MBB_acc-raycom-GT-DU-1-26-2019.aspx

Free, unrestricted stream:
http://theacc.com/watch/?id=157206

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3481626.jpg

Options based on location:

Black:
-On TV via station listed in link above
-Online via link above

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (not available on all providers, DirecTV 788/Verizon FIOS 821)
-Online via link above
-Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

David Bunkley
01-24-2019, 07:59 AM
Welp...it looks like I've run into my first cord-cutting issue as this game is on Peachtree TV in the Atlanta area and I have found no reliable streaming option for that.

The bar it is, I suppose.

We actually got TV info well in advance for once.

TV Stations:
http://theacc.com/sports/2019/1/3/MBB_acc-raycom-GT-DU-1-26-2019.aspx

Free, unrestricted stream:
http://theacc.com/watch/?id=157206

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3481626.jpg

Options based on location:

Black:
-Online via link above

Green:
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (not available on all providers, DirecTV 788/Verizon FIOS 821)
-Online via link above
-Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN

mattman91
01-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Welp...it looks like I've run into my first cord-cutting issue as this game is on Peachtree TV in the Atlanta area and I have found no reliable streaming option for that.

Reddit is your friend.

wilson
01-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Reddit is your friend.So is the new generation of HD antennas...you can get Peachtree TV over the air, and a decent HD antenna will set you back all of about 20 bucks. I'm a fellow cord-cutter, and mine has earned back its cost many times over.

mark34
01-24-2019, 09:32 AM
Reddit is your friend.

How do you use Reddit to watch games?

thewoosh31
01-24-2019, 10:22 AM
How do you use Reddit to watch games?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/

DukeDevil
01-24-2019, 10:42 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/ncaaBBallStreams/

As with any of these internet based streams, just be careful what you click and hit play on

TKG
01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Reddit is your friend.

Serena, is that you?

Troublemaker
01-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Against GaTech, we'll get to see what Duke looks like against a zone when we have more than one day to prepare. (And when our PG doesn't get knocked out in the middle of the game with no time to adjust, and another starter isn't a late surprising scratch with flu-like symptoms as well).

The GaTech zone isn't much like Syracuse's though, except in effectiveness. The Yellow Jackets morph the zone and try to confuse opponents, giving both 1-3-1 and 2-3 looks, with 1-3-1 showing up more often from what I've seen.

CDu
01-24-2019, 01:19 PM
This is a nice stretch for the Devils, which is convenient given the injury to Tre Jones. Georgia Tech is a solid defensive team, but they are a train wreck offensively. They are young and not terribly deep in terms of skill. It's a nice opportunity for the team to flex some muscle at home and test our skills at beating a team that will try to make us take jumpers. The Jackets don't shoot well from anywhere other than at the rim. They don't offensive rebound well. They pass fairly well, but they also turn it over a lot. The only thing they do notably well on offense is draw fouls. On defense, they contest shots very well, forcing teams to an abysmal 3pt% and 2pt%. They block a lot of shots and force some turnovers. Defense is definitely their calling card, going zone with a variety of looks from it. Pastner, a Calipari discipline, tries to run a dribble-drive offense. But it doesn't really work for them with the guys they have.

Centers: James Banks III (6'8", 245lb junior transfer from Texas) is the man in the middle. Banks moves reasonably well for his size and blocks shots well in the middle. He also has a nice game in the paint. He's not much of a shooting threat, but he's an excellent player within his somewhat limited range of skills. He doesn't force much away from the rim, with over half his shots coming at the rim. Banks is an excellent offensive rebounder, and is a capable defensive rebounder who is probably limited by the zone. He's the only frontcourt player who plays a major role in the offense. The Yellow Jackets have only a "break in case of emergency" backup in Sylvester Ogbonda (6'10", 235lb junior from Nigeria). Obgonda is all length and energy, no skill. He rebounds on the offensive end well and blocks shots well. But if he's playing, that's because it is a blowout and/or Tech is in foul trouble. Basically, if they can do so, Banks plays 30+ mpg, and when he has to sit they go with their trio of 6'9" forwards instead.

Forwards: Moses Wright (6'9", 220lb sophomore from Raleigh) and Abdoulaye Gueye (6'9", 215lb senior from Senegal) lead the way at forward. They are somewhat interchangeable: lanky, athletic, high-energy guys who rebound some but don't shoot very well. Gueye is the better rebounder and shot blocker (fairly good at both). Wright has a bit more willingness to shoot from range, though he hasn't been very effective at it. The third forward in the rotation is Evan Cole (6'9", 215lb sophomore). Cole is more of a stretch-4. He's a strong defensive rebounder but largely invisible otherwise. He's not a great 3pt shooter, but he can hit it some and will likely put one up against us. The Jackets don't offer much quality here other than length, rebounding, and effort baskets.

Wings: Michael DeVoe (6'4", 190lb freshman) is the best of a pretty uninspiring lot of wings for Tech. That's not a slight to DeVoe, who is a top-50 recruit, but rather a commentary on the rest of the group. It's a big dropoff from Josh Okogie and Tadric Jackson to the guys they have now. And Tech is feeling the effects of those departures. DeVoe is a combo guard with good ballhandling and passing skills for a secondary playmaker. He's got decent size and length, but isn't overly impressive athletically. He's a scrappy defender in their zone and forces a lot of turnovers. He hasn't quite gotten the transition on offense yet, but he has potential as a scorer at all 3 levels. If he sticks around, he should become a really good player for Tech. As is, he's a nice role player for them, and serves as the backup PG whenever Alvarado sits. Beyond DeVoe, it's a bit rough. Curtis Haywood II (6'5", 200lb sophomore) is the other starter. Haywood is a high-energy role player who has developed as a shooter since coming to college. He's not a great shooter, but he's a capable shooter. Haywood also reads the game fairly well, getting steals and is a solid passer from the wing. But he's all role player, not a lead guard or playmaker at all. The third option on the wings is Brandon Alston (6'5", 200lb fifth-year senior from Lehigh). Alston is interesting in that he was a grad transfer who had two years of eligibility left when he came to Tech last year. He's an underwhelming athlete who is on the floor to do one thing: shoot 3s. That said, Alston has missed the past 3 games with an undisclosed injury, so it isn't clear if he'll play. The fourth wing in the rotation is Khalid Moore (6'6", 200lb freshman). Moore is a lanky, very athletic wing with the skill set of a power forward at this point. He doesn't dribble well, and doesn't have much polish offensively. He has hit a handful of standstill 3s this year, but that's not really his game. He's more of a developmental project with his size (comparable to Cam Reddish in physical appearance) and athleticism. But he's probably a year or two away right now. The fifth wing is Shembari Phillips (6'3", 200lb junior transfer from Tennessee). Phillips plays sparingly if the other wings are healthy. And for good reason. He's a bit of a liability on the floor. He shoots poorly both inside and outside the arc and turns it over too much for a guy who isn't a creator. He's in there for energy/effort garbage-man work and nothing more.

Guards: Jose Alvarado (6'0", 175lb sophomore) is the headliner for the Yellow Jackets. He is kind of a poor-man's Tre Jones in that he's a better basketball player than his physical tools and individual skills would suggests. He's a gamer, a fierce competitor, and a good floor general point guard. Despite being small and not overly athletic, he's fearless with the ball in his hands. He's a good but not great shooter from anywhere on the court, and he's pugnacious and tenacious. He's the type of PG you love to have on your team but hate if he's on the other team. I could probably come up with some more colorful words to describe him, but you get the idea. He's a guy Coach K would love to coach I think. Alvarado will play as close to 40 minutes as he can, and the Jackets will need him to do so to have a chance against us. The one glaring limitation for Alvarado is he is a bit sloppy with the ball. But some of that is simply trying to make things happen on offense on what is a really bad offensive team in general. He is the engine that makes Tech go when it goes.

The Jackets will be high-energy and high-effort. They'll be aggressive. If they hit a few jumpshots, they can be irrationally confident and make it a pesky game. They have one nice win this year (@Syracuse) and some decent close losses (vs St Johns, vs Va Tech, @Northwestern). So they can be a thorn in the side. But we have a substantial talent edge and their weanesses (defensive rebounding, turnovers) play into some of our strengths. Hopefully this is a comfortable win. Torvik predicts a 22-point win for us, and that feels about right as an expectation.

dchen09
01-24-2019, 02:53 PM

You can also get a VPN.

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

What will prevent you from streaming it via the ACC network site?

awhom111
01-25-2019, 01:23 AM
What will prevent you from streaming it via the ACC network site?

I try to communicate it every time, but there are always people who do not seem to understand the free ACC website stream for these games.

This is the last year that we will have to deal with it though, which is too bad since having these games freely viewable around the world has been a great help to a number of people.

BandAlum83
01-25-2019, 03:04 AM
I try to communicate it every time, but there are always people who do not seem to understand the free ACC website stream for these games.

This is the last year that we will have to deal with it though, which is too bad since having these games freely viewable around the world has been a great help to a number of people.

I guess you don’t want to say it again. Sorry I haven’t seen it in the past. I have recently been deciding if the time is right to cut cable. Some people I know who have done it end up spending as much for myriad subscriptions to be able to view what they want.

I am concerned that because espn has a contract with the ACC I would need an espn subscription and a Fox sports subscription because sometimes they are on Fox. Seeing Braves games is also a concern. I was hoping you would provide an answer. Thanks anyway.

toothmechanic72
01-25-2019, 05:33 AM
I recently signed up for Hulu Live to cut the cord. Hulu Live has all the sports channels you want including Fox Sports for Braves games. I will be recording and watching the Duke-Tech game on Hulu on the ESPN College Extra channel.

BandAlum83
01-25-2019, 09:10 AM
I recently signed up for Hulu Live to cut the cord. Hulu Live has all the sports channels you want including Fox Sports for Braves games. I will be recording and watching the Duke-Tech game on Hulu on the ESPN College Extra channel.

Do you need a TiVo or something similar to record, or are live tv sevices now providing cloud based recording?

Why did you choose Hulu as opposed to roku, sling, YouTube tv or some other service? Do you pay hulu only, or do you have to add other services separately?

Rich
01-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Do you need a TiVo or something similar to record, or are live tv sevices now providing cloud based recording?

Why did you choose Hulu as opposed to roku, sling, YouTube tv or some other service? Do you pay hulu only, or do you have to add other services separately?

Sorry, I'm not much help with most of your questions, but want to clarify that Roku is the device on which one would watch Hulu, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc. Roku, much like Apple TV or an Amazon Firestick, provides TV content from others, it's not content in and of itself. We have a Roku device and my wife still doesn't understand how it works with our Xfinity.

Indoor66
01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I'm not much help with most of your questions, but want to clarify that Roku is the device on which one would watch Hulu, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc. Roku, much like Apple TV or an Amazon Firestick, provides TV content from others, it's not content in and of itself. We have a Roku device and my wife still doesn't understand how it works with our Xfinity.

I am with your wife on this one. My sons have explained to me how Roku works several times. Unfortunately, I still do not understand and thus still have Xfinity.

Matches
01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

I have Hulu Live too, and it does provide cloud-based recording as well as "on-demand" viewing. I tried both sling and vue and find the hulu streaming experience better than either. We primarily watch hulu on our Roku devices but it's viewable on tablets and phones as well. (It is NOT available on playstation, though.)

toothmechanic72
01-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Hulu Live is $40/month and comes with 50 hours of DVR storage. You can pay extra for more hours of storage. I looked at Sling TV and Hulu Live and Hulu Live has all the sports channels that you would need. Just go on the website and type in your zip code. You get about 50 channels including local channels. The good thing about Hulu Live is that I can search for Duke basketball and tell the site to record all the games that are upcoming. It has worked well so far.

SlapTheFloor
01-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Hulu Live is $40/month and comes with 50 hours of DVR storage. You can pay extra for more hours of storage. I looked at Sling TV and Hulu Live and Hulu Live has all the sports channels that you would need. Just go on the website and type in your zip code. You get about 50 channels including local channels. The good thing about Hulu Live is that I can search for Duke basketball and tell the site to record all the games that are upcoming. It has worked well so far.

I recently switched from cable (with Tivo) to YouTube TV and I love it. It's the same price as Hulu Live, but has unlimited cloud storage. My only complaint so far is that you can't fast-forward through CBS shows that it records (I guess it's a contract thing). But, then again, I don't record very many of those. And one of the best things about cutting the cord is that I can watch or listen to games via the internet at work. Very handy for those of us on the west coast.

David Bunkley
01-25-2019, 11:43 AM
So is the new generation of HD antennas...you can get Peachtree TV over the air, and a decent HD antenna will set you back all of about 20 bucks. I'm a fellow cord-cutter, and mine has earned back its cost many times over.

Going to pick up an antenna this afternoon.

scottdude8
01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
This map does not include Canada. This fact makes me sad.

BandAlum83
01-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Xfinity now gives me access to amazon, netflix an youtube. I am not really using my appleTV or smart TV capabilities any longer. I thought Roku also had a subscription service, my mistake.

BandAlum83
01-25-2019, 12:46 PM
I recently switched from cable (with Tivo) to YouTube TV and I love it. It's the same price as Hulu Live, but has unlimited cloud storage. My only complaint so far is that you can't fast-forward through CBS shows that it records (I guess it's a contract thing). But, then again, I don't record very many of those. And one of the best things about cutting the cord is that I can watch or listen to games via the internet at work. Very handy for those of us on the west coast.

I am able to access my xfinity content from anywhere, and have access to certain live TV programming over the internet as well. Pricing is a different issue. with the "triple play" package, it's hard to tell what I am paying individually for TV, internet and land line. Plus, the packaging gives access to premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz. I can also download content to my phone or tablet to access when not internet-connected (like on a plane)

I don't have to have multiple subscriptions. Cable is definitely easy and accessible, but I also get the impression the time is getting near to when I should cut the cord. I have been an early adopter on so many things, and often times it has just been more expensive without great benefit. (Don't get me started on the early adoption of LED light bulbs in my house!)

lotusland
01-25-2019, 09:01 PM
I have the the Sling Blue subscription with all the espn channels as well as the ACC and SEC networks for only $25/month. The only games I miss are Fox Sports South. I could add the orange package for another $15 buts it’s not worth it to me. So for now I’m not interested in YouTube or Hulu. I drop Sling after March Madness and pickup HBO Now for $15/month to catch up on their shows until football starts in August.

awhom111
01-25-2019, 09:33 PM
I guess you don’t want to say it again. Sorry I haven’t seen it in the past. I have recently been deciding if the time is right to cut cable. Some people I know who have done it end up spending as much for myriad subscriptions to be able to view what they want.

I am concerned that because espn has a contract with the ACC I would need an espn subscription and a Fox sports subscription because sometimes they are on Fox. Seeing Braves games is also a concern. I was hoping you would provide an answer. Thanks anyway.

For Duke only fans, next year might be simpler since there will be no more syndicated games. Of course you would continue to need FOX Sports for your Braves games. Some of the non-major IP TV providers may or may not have ACC Network at launch if negotiations need to be done (a problem that will no doubt also affect some traditional providers). That should not be an issue on Hulu thanks to Disney's stake in the company.

If you currently have a triple bundle, it will be important to price out the difference if you switch to only a double bundle since Comcast does like to make it advantageous to keep all three. If you threaten to reduce service, they could come up with a better deal for you, although that would probably put you back under contract if you are now on month-to-month. There are probably going to be more options in the near future too as providers have moved from some of the skinny bundles with small numbers of channels to offering packages with many more options.

gofurman
01-26-2019, 01:47 AM
3-3 in ACC. GTech has win over Wake, at Syracuse and ND. .500acc team. Anyone that can win at Syracuse has something. We should win but no one is to be taken light.

HOPe we can get up and rest a little for main guys - Monday game comin

Anyhow, no jinx

CameronDuke
01-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Duke is currently -22 over Georgia Tech today.

nocilla
01-26-2019, 08:25 AM
I have the the Sling Blue subscription with all the espn channels as well as the ACC and SEC networks for only $25/month. The only games I miss are Fox Sports South. I could add the orange package for another $15 buts it’s not worth it to me. So for now I’m not interested in YouTube or Hulu. I drop Sling after March Madness and pickup HBO Now for $15/month to catch up on their shows until football starts in August.

You can swap back and forth between the Sling blue and orange packages and the cost is like $.01. You just can't watch them both at the same time. I don't know if there is a limit on how often you can swap but I've never had an issue going back and forth for Duke games when I needed to.

CameronDuke
01-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Duke is up to -23 over Georgia Tech with an over/under of 147.

Vegas is thinking something along the lines of Duke 85, Georgia Tech 62. I like it.

Let's Go Duke!

uh_no
01-26-2019, 10:59 AM
tre warming up.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 11:14 AM
tre warming up.

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

-jk
01-26-2019, 11:30 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

wgl1228
01-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Do we know if Tre is starting?

fuse
01-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Any cord cutters using direct tv now?
I’m trying to stream from an iphone 6+ to an appletv.

Everything is great on the phone.
Audio cuts out on apple tv about 7 seconds in and never returns.

Apple TV is wired to the router.
Have restarted everything.

Have tried various combinations of bluetooth on/off, airplane mode on the phone with wireless on, you name it.

I can’t give up spectrum if I cant get reliable audio.

No, I’m not planning on buying newer apple tvs and iphones if I can avoid it.

scottdude8
01-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Vrank sighting! Could Coach K (gasp!) be trying to extend his bench a little bit? Or more likely, maybe trying to send a bit of a message to Jack/Javin to up their games after a couple tough ones?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Just as everyone suspected, early floor time for... Vrank???

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Really unimpressed with RJ's play in this first part of the game. Forcing bad passes in traffic, rushed shots. Needs to chill a bit, I think

SCMatt33
01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Really unimpressed with RJ's play in this first part of the game. Forcing bad passes in traffic, rushed shots. Needs to chill a bit, I think

I think it’s shot selection more than rushing it. He’s taken 4 3’s early, three off of a catch, turn and shoot from a swing pass. One off a catch and shoot from the high post. Guess which one he made.

arnie
01-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Glad we’re playing a not so good team. worst start this year.

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Now that we've got Jones back let's get Goldwire some minutes.

MChambers
01-26-2019, 12:24 PM

Is Javin available? Do we need to start a vigil?

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Really, really ugly game thus far. I feel like I'm watching an extension of the 2nd half of that desultory Pitt game. Ugh...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-26-2019, 12:25 PM
Seems determined to get the bench some run. Offense looks enthusiastic but spastic.

Steven43
01-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Oh RJ

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Rj trying to set a record for TO's, I think. Yikes!

Steven43
01-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Anyone have a link to the live stats?

Indoor66
01-26-2019, 12:32 PM
What a difference Tre makes. ...Maybe there's a song there?

scottdude8
01-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Really, really ugly game thus far. I feel like I'm watching an extension of the 2nd half of that desultory Pitt game. Ugh...

Noon game, against a zone, getting Tre back acclimated into things... there are a ton of reasonable explanations for this slow start. It’s also our third game in 8 days which is always tough. No reason to panic.

Dukehk
01-26-2019, 12:33 PM
What a trashy gimmicky defence GT is playing. Trust in them to be the first team to pull it out the bag. Makes for a really really ugly game.

At least their offence is absolutely terrible..however we arent even that much better! How many terrible looking 3's have we taken. Wide open too.

arnie
01-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Anyone have a link to the live stats?

You don’t want to do that😡. I like Goldwire getting a few minutes a game, but he should never, ever shoot unless a wide open layup. He’s 4-24 this year and the 13 missed 3’s (none made) have like ugly.

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Noon game, against a zone, getting Tre back acclimated into things... there are a ton of reasonable explanations for this slow start. It’s also our third game in 8 days which is always tough. No reason to panic.

I am not panicking. GT is an inferior team and we are playing down to their level. But...you make good points. I just don't like to see Duke teams play dumb - forcing passes and bad shots.

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Does Josh Pastner EVER stop pacing up and down the court yelling and gesturing wildly at players and refs?

kmspeaks
01-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Any cord cutters using direct tv now?
I’m trying to stream from an iphone 6+ to an appletv.

Everything is great on the phone.
Audio cuts out on apple tv about 7 seconds in and never returns.

Apple TV is wired to the router.
Have restarted everything.

Have tried various combinations of bluetooth on/off, airplane mode on the phone with wireless on, you name it.

I can’t give up spectrum if I cant get reliable audio.

No, I’m not planning on buying newer apple tvs and iphones if I can avoid it.

Is this the first time you've tried streaming? I've watched dozens of games from the ACC website and never had a problem but today the stream keeps buffering or just outright freezing and forcing me to refresh the page. I'm not anything close to a tech expert but maybe the issue isn't on your end. It's funny how the game sometimes freezes or buffers but the commercials are always crystal clear.

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Is this our lowest scoring half of the season? At home? Against GT? Against a team with their 2 main big men in serious foul trouble???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

wavedukefan70s
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
What a trashy gimmicky defence GT is playing. Trust in them to be the first team to pull it out the bag. Makes for a really really ugly game.

At least their offence is absolutely terrible..however we arent even that much better! How many terrible looking 3's have we taken. Wide open too.

What they doing on D I'm at work and blacked out🙄

nmduke2001
01-26-2019, 12:53 PM
I’m guessing this team will be zoned every game for the remainder of the season. We have a weak link and people will try to expose it.

Mak P
Cam isn't getting it done. He cant make jump shots and that's what he's there for

curtis325
Hold the opponent to 29 points in the half, make 10 out of 12 free throws, trail at halftime.

Dub
01-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Terribly ugly game so far. GT’s zone is doing exactly what they need it to do. Muck it up, foul a lot in the interior, and force us to shoot 3s. RJ isn’t having a good game, Jack still can’t hit a 3, and Cam is bricks as well. We’re down 2 at home and we’ll likely make up the difference in the 2nd half but yuck!

Saratoga2
01-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Is this our lowest scoring half of the season? At home? Against GT? Against a team with their 2 main big men in serious foul trouble???

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

GT is using the formula on defense that works best against us. Pack it in and disrupt anything they can going inside. Let us take the 3 poiint shot as we have trouble hitting any reasonable percent. We have been cooperating by being sloppy with the ball and letting the TO's build up. If we have a 3 point shooter in AOC, he won't take any so takes himself out of the occassion. Coach K needs to light a fire under the team. Reddish has to get into the scoring and maybe Tre can penetrate and draw some defense. Will be an interesting 2nd half.

CAT Blue Devil
01-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Well at least there is the advantage of not having to listen to Seth Greenberg at the half, reminisce about how he used to excel at bringing basketball down to an ugly level. Bring on the second half and some shots falling from outside.

Dukehk
01-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Its pretty simple really. Hit a few 3's and the game is over.

We have had some horrendous attempts despite guys being pretty open.

Its almost demoralising at this point. Hard to believe these guys practice shooting the ball?! How can you be that poor. Really boggles the mind.

-jk
01-26-2019, 01:01 PM
No Bolden at the end of halftime.

Edit: Spoke too soon - late out...

-jk

SCMatt33
01-26-2019, 01:03 PM
There is very little offensive discipline against the zone. They spent the first 8 minutes taking lazy threes against the zone off of turn and shoot swing passes. I think there was only one three in the half that cane off of a pass from inside the arc that was clean into the shooting pocket. That’s also the only three they made. The offense settled down a bit, but missed some good looks inside, fumbled a lot of passes and dribbles to either lose a good look or turn it over, which is probably more attributable to being lethargic for a noon game against a not very good team. Additionally, they don’t seem to be willing to run multiple plays against the zone. Once someone drives or passes into the lane, there was no willingness for it to go back outside after the zone collapsed and bring it back in again. It was either a shot or an interior pass. I think RJ kicked it to the corner once, but it was a bad pass that caused Cam to reach down and to the side and took the shot out of rhythm. There needs to be more willingness for someone to probe the zone knowing there’s almost zero chance they’ll get a shot off the drive

ncexnyc
01-26-2019, 01:03 PM
A really strange game and we are down 2 at the half, yet for some odd reason I don't feel like we are at risk for losing this game. The line-up combinations might have something to do with that. Vrank, Goldwire, and AOC getting some really early burn had me wondering if I was actually watching a Duke game.

MaxAMillion
01-26-2019, 01:08 PM
GT is using the formula on defense that works best against us. Pack it in and disrupt anything they can going inside. Let us take the 3 poiint shot as we have trouble hitting any reasonable percent. We have been cooperating by being sloppy with the ball and letting the TO's build up. If we have a 3 point shooter in AOC, he won't take any so takes himself out of the occassion. Coach K needs to light a fire under the team. Reddish has to get into the scoring and maybe Tre can penetrate and draw some defense. Will be an interesting 2nd half.

Lighting a fire has nothing to do with the poor offense. This team is a poor perimeter shooting team. Yelling at them won't change that fact.

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Lighting a fire has nothing to do with the poor offense. This team is a poor perimeter shooting team. Yelling at them won't change that fact.

We aren't shooting very well from 2 either.

ChrisP
Not what I was hoping to see coming out of the halftime. Nice airball by RJ from 4 feet out, too.

Mak P
Tre isn't ready, why are we rushing him back

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Any word on if Bolden is hurt?

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Bolden started the half so I assume he's ok

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Josh Pastner looks like he borrowed his big brother's suit for the game. Give the man a raise so he can go to a tailor!

MChambers
01-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Bolden started the half so I assume he's ok
But he hasn’t come back. May be a strategic decision to go small.

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 01:37 PM
But he hasn’t come back. May be a strategic decision to go small.

Maybe. Javin also MIA this far in the half. Hope he can start to turn things around soon! On a positive note, RJ playing smarter and seems more under control lately. Zion is also unstoppable down low. Let's go DUKE!!!

Dukehk
01-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Really hope coach K fixes the shooting on this team.

We are starting to rely too much on RJ and Zion. There needs to be balance and Cam/Jack/Tre can do that buy hitting some outside shots for a start.

Cam especially has looked unprepared and out of control for most of the game on the offensive end. Defensively he is fine..but we really need him to hit 3's consistently.

MaxAMillion
01-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Really hope coach K fixes the shooting on this team.

We are starting to rely too much on RJ and Zion. There needs to be balance and Cam/Jack/Tre can do that buy hitting some outside shots for a start.

Cam especially has looked unprepared and out of control for most of the game on the offensive end. Defensively he is fine..but we really need him to hit 3's consistently.

You can't fix what they can't do. This team has struggled with consistency from outside all season

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Alex is putting in some great minutes...solid hustle today.

scottdude8
01-26-2019, 01:46 PM
VERY encouraging minutes from AOC right now, especially his effort on loose balls and on the defensive end. If he can firmly lay claim to the three point specialist role off the bench that could push this team to another level.

Indoor66
01-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Tre IS the man.

Acymetric
01-26-2019, 01:47 PM
I was just starting to have fun...can we play a third half?

robed deity

Agreed. Ever since he lost his man backdoor, he's made like 4 or 5 solid plays. Wish he could get a 3 to drop.

Ggallagher
Very happy to see how Alex is playing. It's a great switch from the brain-cramp mode he seemed to be in last game. And loved all the hugs he got on the side line at the time out.

Dub
01-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Loving his energy. He’s doing the dirty work. Looks like K has him in Jack’s role and he’s definitely giving us a spark. Hope he continues to build on this. Consistency and lack of focus has always been Alex’s detriment. So happy for him!

InSpades
01-26-2019, 01:49 PM

He's played great. I like Alex getting more time... though it's tough to sit any of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Not sure if going small was the plan or just who he had available but it has worked great so far.

Weird to see Vrank the 1st off the bench and barely see Jav. Would've made more sense if Jav wasn't available but then he got in for a quick bit.

subzero02
01-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Agreed. Ever since he lost his man backdoor, he's made like 4 or 5 solid plays. Wish he could get a 3 to drop.

I am glad that he's playing well but agree that a few more of those open jumpshots finding their mark would make his performance all the sweeter. Tre is going to play close to 35 minutes today and quite possibly slightly more.

ChrisP
01-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Horrible block call on RJ - that was a clear charge!