PDA

View Full Version : Adam long wins on the pga tour!!!!

sagegrouse
01-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Class of 2010. Never won anywhere. M<issed all but one cut this year on the PGA Tour (his rookie year). Won with a birdie over Phil on the 18th hole!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Class of 2010. Never won anywhere. M<issed all but one cut this year on the PGA Tour (his rookie year). Won with a birdie over Phil on the 18th hole!!!

Nice way to pick up first win

Indoor66
01-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Who was the last Dukie to win on the PGA Tour? Does it go back to the days of Art Wall and Mike Souchak?

4Gen
01-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Kevin Streelman

sagegrouse
01-20-2019, 07:12 PM
Kevin Streelman

Streelman had the most amazing win, one might argue, in the history of the PGA Tour. He finished with seven consecutive birdies to win:

From Hartford Courant June 22, 2014.

CROMWELL — Kevin Streelman vaulted into the PGA Tour history book Sunday when he birdied the last seven holes to win the Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands.

Streelman had won previously (2013 Tampa Bay Championship, 2013), as had Joe Ogilvie (U.S. Bank Championship, Milwaukee, 2007).

OZZIE4DUKE
01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
This is a life changing event for Adam! He gets his tour card, exemptions, entre to many invitation only events, including majors, next season’s winners only event in Hawaii plus a major boost in his endorsements. Truly life changing. Congrats Adam! LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-20-2019, 07:34 PM
This is a life changing event for Adam! He gets his tour card, exemptions, entre to many invitation only events, including majors, next season’s winners only event in Hawaii plus a major boost in his endorsements. Truly life changing. Congrats Adam! LGD GTHc!

This was my first thought. At 31, if you haven't won, you probably won't.....so good for him. Huge payday for one thing....as well as all that you mentioned above.

fogey
01-20-2019, 08:20 PM
For those who didn't see it, Adam was tied with Phil Mickelson and Hadwin at 25 under on the 18th hole. Adam's tee shot strayed right, second shot from 174 yards out with sidehill lie, ball at least a foot below his feet. Water on left at green. NO PROBLEMO, he put it 10 feet, drained putt center cut to birdie final hole and win by 1. Amazing finish, ice water in the veins... Well done, sir.

Tripping William
01-20-2019, 08:25 PM
For those who didn't see it, Adam was tied with Phil Mickelson and Hadwin at 25 under on the 18th hole. Adam's tee shot strayed right, second shot from 174 yards out with sidehill lie, ball at least a foot below his feet. Water on left at green. NO PROBLEMO, he put it 10 feet, drained putt center cut to birdie final hole and win by 1. Amazing finish, ice water in the veins... Well done, sir.

And I think the lie on his approach was somewhat downhill, in addition to being below his feet. That approach shot was phenomenal!

arnie
01-20-2019, 08:37 PM
And I think the lie on his approach was somewhat downhill, in addition to being below his feet. That approach shot was phenomenal!

Wow, just got back in and didn’t expect that news. To win an event with so little experience on the tour is amazing. Great for Adam.

JasonEvans
01-20-2019, 08:42 PM
Huge payday for one thing...

$1.1 million... that'll pay some bills.

His career earnings up until now, from 2011 until 3 hours ago... Just a shade over $500k. So, ummm, yeah... this was a life-changing moment for him.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-20-2019, 08:47 PM

His career earnings up until now, from 2011 until 3 hours ago... Just a shade over $500k. So, ummm, yeah... this was a life-changing moment for him.

I would think that the first big pay day....the one that lets you pay attention to golf and not to money...is the most important step in a PGA golfer's career. Not all of them hit the tour with big endorsement money.

duke79
01-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Yes, a great win today for Adam and congrats to him! That second shot on the 18th hole was one of the best shots, under pressure, I have ever seen at a crucial moment in a professional golf tournament. As anyone who has played golf knows, that shot, with the ball substantially below your feet, is one of the toughest shots to pull off. So many things can go wrong (even for pros), including an outright shank or a dead pull to the left. I would have guessed that there was maybe a 1 in 50 chance (at that stage of the tournament) that he would put that shot within 10 feet of the hole, but he pulled it off and then made a perfect putt. He played very well down the stretch and didn't seem to be intimidated in the least to be competing Phil Mickleson or Adam Hadwin. I hope this gives him the confidence to continue to play well. And winning $1.1 million at this stage of his career is not a bad payday (although, unfortunately he will lose a substantial portion of it to state (California!) and federal taxes).

BD80
01-20-2019, 09:40 PM

And because the IRS is closed, he won't have to pay tax on the prize money!?!

mgtr
01-20-2019, 10:25 PM
And because the IRS is closed, he won't have to pay tax on the prize money!?!

The government may do some stupid things, but the collections department of the IRS never closes.

jv001
01-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Yes, a great win today for Adam and congrats to him! That second shot on the 18th hole was one of the best shots, under pressure, I have ever seen at a crucial moment in a professional golf tournament. As anyone who has played golf knows, that shot, with the ball substantially below your feet, is one of the toughest shots to pull off. So many things can go wrong (even for pros), including an outright shank or a dead pull to the left. I would have guessed that there was maybe a 1 in 50 chance (at that stage of the tournament) that he would put that shot within 10 feet of the hole, but he pulled it off and then made a perfect putt. He played very well down the stretch and didn't seem to be intimidated in the least to be competing Phil Mickleson or Adam Hadwin. I hope this gives him the confidence to continue to play well. And winning $1.1 million at this stage of his career is not a bad payday (although, unfortunately he will lose a substantial portion of it to state (California!) and federal taxes).

Something tells me that duke79 plays some golf. Described the shot perfectly and yes, it might just be the toughest shot in golf. Congratulations young man and may you have a great 2019 tour. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 06:35 AM
The government may do some stupid things, but the collections department of the IRS never closes.

Hah, yep, and the big issue here is the California Dept of Revenues.......Long would've taken home another 100 grand plus had this been in say, Florida....

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Just saw Adam's approach shot. That was SICK......he stared shank city in the face and stroked it. Amazing way to win.

Tripping William
01-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Just saw Adam's approach shot. That was SICK...he stared shank city in the face and stroked it. Amazing way to win.

I refuse to utter that word you wrote up there. But please feel free to add it, on my behalf, to the “Words I Really Dislike” thread. I dislike it far worse than the word “bogey.”

Otherwise, agreed.

rsvman
01-21-2019, 08:57 AM
I refuse to utter that word you wrote up there. But please feel free to add it, on my behalf, to the “Words I Really Dislike” thread. I dislike it far worse than the word “bogey.”

Otherwise, agreed.

Consider it done.:)

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Otherwise, agreed.

I feel ya....but I'm now immune to that word....because I went thru them for years. Playing some of the best golf of my life, which was about a 14-15 handicap....on the range warming up before a round. Wedges fine. 9 iron fine. 8 iron fine. 7 iron fine. 6 iron five. 5 iron SH*****NK. I'm like WTFreak was that? Then more and more and more. So I tried 6. SH***NK. Then 7,8,9 and all SH***NKs. Out of nowhere.

I'm over those now, but never got back to that level of golf.

Tripping William
01-21-2019, 09:12 AM
I feel ya...but I'm now immune to that word...because I went thru them for years. Playing some of the best golf of my life, which was about a 14-15 handicap...on the range warming up before a round. Wedges fine. 9 iron fine. 8 iron fine. 7 iron fine. 6 iron five. 5 iron SH*****NK. I'm like WTFreak was that? Then more and more and more. So I tried 6. SH***NK. Then 7,8,9 and all SH***NKs. Out of nowhere.

Yeeesh. Glad the Arctic temperatures are preventing me from a range session today .....

budwom
01-21-2019, 09:36 AM
-10 right now at 9:36...with a cooling breeze. A bit frightful, actually

duketaylor
01-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Otherwise, agreed.
Yep, not allowed in the vocabulary.

Congrats, Adam!!!

4Gen
01-21-2019, 09:42 AM
I watched the tourney Saturday and Sunday. Adam was the best golfer by a long shot. His play was near perfect. The commentators lionized Phil both days, as Adam calmly carved him up. As the tournament progressed to its final culmination, Adam was finally and begrudgingly, in my opinion, given his due.

75Crazie
01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
While an avid golfer, I don't watch a lot of tournaments on TV because, frankly, they are mostly boring … so I want to thank the posters on this thread for alerting me to this in time to tape the Golf Channel replay and watch it this morning. Even allowing for my Duke bias, I think Adam's second shot on 18, given that lie, was one of the most remarkable I can ever recall seeing, right up there with Lefty's shot from the pine straw on 13 at the Masters and Sandy Lyle's bunker shot on 18 years earlier at the Masters (I still marvel that he nailed that shot without hardly dislodging a single grain of sand). There have to be others, but those are the ones that stick in my mind. I shudder to think what I would have done with that lie yesterday, even in my prime. And the reaction of both him and his wife alone made it worth seeing. Congratulations, Adam!

duke79
01-21-2019, 03:15 PM
I feel ya...but I'm now immune to that word...because I went thru them for years. Playing some of the best golf of my life, which was about a 14-15 handicap...on the range warming up before a round. Wedges fine. 9 iron fine. 8 iron fine. 7 iron fine. 6 iron five. 5 iron SH*****NK. I'm like WTFreak was that? Then more and more and more. So I tried 6. SH***NK. Then 7,8,9 and all SH***NKs. Out of nowhere.

Sorry to have used that terrible word "sh*nk" in my post! Having been afflicted with that monstrous disease a few times in my golfing career, I know it is bad luck to even utter the word. I truly thought about it for a few seconds before I typed it but golf season in New England is several months off, so I thought the statue of limitations would run out before I play again.