PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's (1-19-19) National Anthem

jimsumner
01-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Don't know if this came through on TV so I thought I would share.

Started off as typical national anthem. Pep Band, ROTC with the colors, solo singer, everyone in quite attention.

But a few of our distinguished visitors thought this a good time to yell such original comments as "Go 'Hoos." After a few such interruptions, the Crazies began to actually sing along with the anthem, louder and louder, drowning out the miscreants.

Not sure I've ever seen that before and I've been to my share of athletic events.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-20-2019, 02:29 PM
Way cool vis a vis the crazies....and so unbefitting of representatives of "...the university..."

AZLA
01-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Started off as typical national anthem. Pep Band, ROTC with the colors, solo singer, everyone in quite attention.

But a few of our distinguished visitors thought this a good time to yell such original comments as "Go 'Hoos." After a few such interruptions, the Crazies began to actually sing along with the anthem, louder and louder, drowning out the miscreants.

Not sure I've ever seen that before and I've been to my share of athletic events.

Good job, Crazies! USA!
;)

Native
01-20-2019, 02:59 PM
I love hearing this. I tried like crazy to get students to sing along during my time at Duke, and we succeeded on a few occasions. This was the first time I can remember doing it: Ohio State during my sophomore year.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was louder last night than in the clip below, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ock86y7tZ2w

Native
01-20-2019, 03:03 PM
And, for posterity, another favorite of mine from the Carolina game my senior year. When the students kick in at "...banner yet wave," it gives me chills every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnF0Ts2699I

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't it be great if a soloist simply invited everybody to sing along? Wouldn't it be great if Cameron was famous for everybody singing out together? Wouldn't it be great if it weren't turned into a rock song or sexy ballad? (It's not supposed to be about the singer, after all. It's supposed to be about America.) Wouldn't it be great?

I'm glad somebody else noticed and commented on what happened last night. I thought I was alone in thinking it was just terrific.
Way to go, folks.

Love,Ima

TruBlu
01-20-2019, 04:41 PM

While at the game, I thought the yell was "GO Blue" (as in Duke Blue), and was disappointed that Duke fan(s) were responsible. Thanks for pointing out that I heard wrong, and likewise thanks to the Crazies who got me singing along as well.

Reilly
01-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't it be great if a soloist simply invited everybody to sing along? ...

Wouldn't it also be great -- and simpler still -- if students were told that there would be no soloist, or group, and that the singing was on them? Put it in their acceptance letter. An expectation.

jimsumner
01-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't it also be great -- and simpler still -- if students were told that there would be no soloist, or group, and that the singing was on them? Put it in their acceptance letter. An expectation.

NC State usually just has their pep band play the national anthem. Singing along is optional but a lot more people choose to do so.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
NC State usually just has their pep band play the national anthem. Singing along is optional but a lot more people choose to do so.

...and who can forget the classic "Mrs. Norman Sloan" belting out the anthem while Stormin Norman was the coach there....

OldPhiKap
01-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Duke fans used to yell and gesture at the “O” (as in, “O, say does that Star-Spangled Banner yet waive”) until I think K put the kibosh on it. I’m not sure we can criticize UVA fans on this.

sagegrouse
01-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Duke fans used to yell and gesture at the “O” (as in, “O, say does that Star-Spangled Banner yet waive”) until I think K put the kibosh on it. I’m not sure we can criticize UVA fans on this.

It was dumb but cute when the late Wild Bill Hagy added the "O!" to his other cheers in Baltimore's champion season of 1983. It was moronic when HS students started adding the "O!" during anthems at HS games in the DC area. When it showed up at Duke, it was far, far worse than moronic.

rolm
01-20-2019, 07:54 PM

Don't think this is a good idea. Duke has students from multiple countries who are at school as foreign students and shouldn't be expected to sing our national anthem. The expectation should only be that they are respectful to our anthem. A basketball game is a social event. Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable or forced to do things against their will.

Bike4Fun
01-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Started off as typical national anthem. P....

Her voice and style were perfect for this-no frills, no embellishments, no surprise personalizations, no sense that she was making the singing about "her". It was done in a way that was so "singable" by everyone. Thank you.

Reilly
01-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Don't think this is a good idea. Duke has students from multiple countries who are at school as foreign students and shouldn't be expected to sing our national anthem. The expectation should only be that they are respectful to our anthem. A basketball game is a social event. Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable or forced to do things against their will.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not suggesting anyone feel uncomfortable or be forced to do things against their will. And I'm not suggesting that any Duke student, from the USA or otherwise, have to participate. -- "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein." (Realizing the former quote applies to government officials and not private university administrators, who of course can, but shouldn't.) -- What I am suggesting, however, is that Duke do away with soloists, and make the singing of the anthem a student-led endeavor and communicate that. And then it would be on the students themselves to step up, or not. For those who care enough to participate. Communal singing is a good thing in and of itself, I believe. So, this would be an opportunity to promote that.

Acymetric
01-20-2019, 08:25 PM
While at the game, I thought the yell was "GO Blue" (as in Duke Blue), and was disappointed that Duke fan(s) were responsible. Thanks for pointing out that I heard wrong, and likewise thanks to the Crazies who got me singing along as well.

There was a pretty significant smattering of "O"s from the Duke crowd last night (the crowd didn't start singing along until shortly after that). It is no longer universal, but our borrowed Orioles cheer is still pretty prevelant and never totally went away.

rolm
01-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not suggesting anyone feel uncomfortable or be forced to do things against their will. And I'm not suggesting that any Duke student, from the USA or otherwise, have to participate. -- "If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein." (Realizing the former quote applies to government officials and not private university administrators, who of course can, but shouldn't.) -- What I am suggesting, however, is that Duke do away with soloists, and make the singing of the anthem a student-led endeavor and communicate that. And then it would be on the students themselves to step up, or not. For those who care enough to participate. Communal singing is a good thing in and of itself, I believe. So, this would be an opportunity to promote that.

I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest that everyone should be forced to sing the anthem. But I just thought it's best to clarify as some might misunderstand. I've read many of your posts and have a tremendous amount of respect for you and find you to be a very thoughtful person. I was sure you would clarify and didn't want others (those who don't know you) to get a wrong impression of you. Thanks for clarifying what you meant. Cheers!

jimsumner
01-20-2019, 08:41 PM
There was a pretty significant smattering of "O"s from the Duke crowd last night (the crowd didn't start singing along until shortly after that). It is no longer universal, but our borrowed Orioles cheer is still pretty prevelant and never totally went away.

Last night was the first time I've heard "O" in years. And it seemed like UVA fans to me.

Acymetric
01-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Last night was the first time I've heard "O" in years. And it seemed like UVA fans to me.

It was definitely not the UVA fans (or maybe I should say it wasn't just the UVA fans, maybe UVA fans joined in), it was present in the student section. Easy to tell because of the tell tale "O" shape of the arms. As hesitant as I am to disagree with you, I've been going to games since the early 90s and have never not seen a group doing it, and that includes the last several years. It is much less common now (it used to be almost literally everyone) but there is always a (small, but noticeable) group that still does it in the student section.

uh_no
01-20-2019, 09:18 PM
It was definitely not the UVA fans (or maybe I should say it wasn't just the UVA fans, maybe UVA fans joined in), it was present in the student section. Easy to tell because of the tell tale "O" shape of the arms. As hesitant as I am to disagree with you, I've been going to games since the early 90s and have never not seen a group doing it, and that includes the last several years. It is much less common now (it used to be almost literally everyone) but there is always a (small, but noticeable) group that still does it in the student section.

It's not just the student section. There was something that was shouted from somewhere around section 9/10 early in the anthem, long before the O. As soon as one person shouts, others in the crowd feel more brave. It is far more common in big games with a ton of very dedicated fans, and likely a well lubricated crowd and student section. It almost always happens during the UNC anthem, and I'm not surprised yahoos shouted crap last night.

If you're a duke fan and ever at a game, I implore you to watch K during the anthem. Now, I don't expect everyone to stand at attention like he does, but I also expect people to show some respect for what his history and what he stands for. I'm not talking about kneeling or whatever either....i'm talking about shouting whatever crap during the anthem. It's not about you. You're not showing your dedication to your team. You're explicitly disrespecting coach K and his ask that the crowd be respectful during the anthem.

Any other time during the game is fair game.....but can we have just one minute where it's not about yelling whatever just because the stadium happens to be quiet?

jimsumner
01-20-2019, 09:28 PM
I hate the "O" cheer. Absolutely loathe it. So, I'm pretty sensitive to it. And I haven't heard it in Cameron for years before last night and I hope to never hear it again. Not only is it disrespectful, the letter O does not appear in any of the following words; Duke University Basketball.

As Barney Fife said, nip it in the bud.

wavedukefan70s
01-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Some do something similar at the local highschool football games.instead of home of the brave they sing home of the wave.
I have seen it done well 3 times this last year.
Isnt it beautiful when it's done correctly.

Stray Gator
01-20-2019, 09:56 PM
I hate the "O" cheer. Absolutely loathe it. So, I'm pretty sensitive to it. And I haven't heard it in Cameron for years before last night and I hope to never hear it again. Not only is it disrespectful, the letter O does not appear in any of the following words; Duke University Basketball.

Ditto to all of that, Jim. I was relieved to see the stupid-and disrespectful arms-up "O" during the National Anthem fade out over the past few years (and for a while it seemed that the even-more-stupid-and-embarrassing "You suck" yell during opposing player introductions had finally subsided). From my seats in Section 5, I did not see or hear any of the "O" yells during the National Anthem last night. However, there were two young Virginia fans sitting in front of us and two not-so-young ones sitting behind us, who hollered "GO HOOS!" and "HOO FEVER!" during those silent seconds just as the National Anthem singer was starting. (On the other hand, it's a sad fact that the disgracefully puerile "You suck!" yell has been resurrected in full this season by the Duke student section.)

Acymetric
01-20-2019, 10:48 PM
It's not just the student section. There was something that was shouted from somewhere around section 9/10 early in the anthem, long before the O. As soon as one person shouts, others in the crowd feel more brave. It is far more common in big games with a ton of very dedicated fans, and likely a well lubricated crowd and student section. It almost always happens during the UNC anthem, and I'm not surprised yahoos shouted crap last night.

If you're a duke fan and ever at a game, I implore you to watch K during the anthem. Now, I don't expect everyone to stand at attention like he does, but I also expect people to show some respect for what his history and what he stands for. I'm not talking about kneeling or whatever either...i'm talking about shouting whatever crap during the anthem. It's not about you. You're not showing your dedication to your team. You're explicitly disrespecting coach K and his ask that the crowd be respectful during the anthem.

Any other time during the game is fair game...but can we have just one minute where it's not about yelling whatever just because the stadium happens to be quiet?

I wasn't trying to say it was only the student section, I mentioned the student section to make it clear that it wasn't only visiting fans (for what its worth, I sit in section 9 and yes there was a lot of noise coming from that area). I was only arguing against the idea that the "O" was ever fully eliminated from the student section (which it never has been).

Fully agreed on your second paragraph.

uh_no
01-21-2019, 01:17 AM
I wasn't trying to say it was only the student section, I mentioned the student section to make it clear that it wasn't only visiting fans (for what its worth, I sit in section 9 and yes there was a lot of noise coming from that area). I was only arguing against the idea that the "O" was ever fully eliminated from the student section (which it never has been).

Fully agreed on your second paragraph.

Sorry...misread...

It makes sense that it comes during the big games...kids that only come out to the big games and haven't otherwise learned that it's not acceptable.

RaiderDevil
01-21-2019, 02:00 AM
I'm always very disappointed at the number of students who don't even stand at football games.

rocketeli
01-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. Our national anthem is not the greatest song on artistic merits (it's an old drinking tune with lyrics once described as "gibberish punctuated by question marks") and it was added to pregame festivities for the windy, pseudo-patriotic reason that sports teams were trying to deflect criticism that sports were too frivolous during world war 2, but still there is no need for rude shouting and gesturing during it.
I've always wished that instead of the star spangled banner every game (we already beat the commies, so we can stop now) a team would have the ca-Jones to offer a rotation of patriotic songs, if we must have them, with lyric sheets or sing along on the jumbotron. Wouldn't it be cool to have not just the unsingable Star Spangled Banner, but also "America the Beautiful" (my vote for anthem anyway) "God Bless America," "This Land is your land" "My, country tis of this" and so on? I be there'd be more genuine patriotic feelings on display as well.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Glad I'm not the only one. Our national anthem is not the greatest song on artistic merits (it's an old drinking tune with lyrics once described as "gibberish punctuated by question marks") and it was added to pregame festivities for the windy, pseudo-patriotic reason that sports teams were trying to deflect criticism that sports were too frivolous during world war 2, but still there is no need for rude shouting and gesturing during it.
I've always wished that instead of the star spangled banner every game (we already beat the commies, so we can stop now) a team would have the ca-Jones to offer a rotation of patriotic songs, if we must have them, with lyric sheets or sing along on the jumbotron. Wouldn't it be cool to have not just the unsingable Star Spangled Banner, but also "America the Beautiful" (my vote for anthem anyway) "God Bless America," "This Land is your land" "My, country tis of this" and so on? I be there'd be more genuine patriotic feelings on display as well.

Just an observation: TV viewers versus season ticket holders:
For season ticket holders, the anthem can at times get a bit tedious....because you stand for it and hear it so often. This is especially true for MLB (81home games) the NHL and NBA (41 home games). TV rarely shows the anthem in any sport....only certain big events (Super Bowl and so on).

As a Hurricanes season tix holder for years, I would always stand appropriately if I were inside the seating area of the arena while it occurred. And I did not like the loud "rockets RED!!!g glare" part that was part of the NC State and Carolina Hurricanes crowd's anthem routine. I too thought it unnecessarily disrespectful, per Jim and some others with the OH at Duke the other day.

That said, I would find myself out in the concession area concourse during a lot of anthems late in the season. And in hockey, you often have two anthems to get through - when teams from Canada visit. I figured if I were a bit burnt out on the anthem routine, it would be better not to be in the seat during it, faking it.

rocketeli
01-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Just an observation: TV viewers versus season ticket holders:
For season ticket holders, the anthem can at times get a bit tedious...because you stand for it and hear it so often. This is especially true for MLB (81home games) the NHL and NBA (41 home games). TV rarely shows the anthem in any sport...only certain big events (Super Bowl and so on).

As a Hurricanes season tix holder for years, I would always stand appropriately if I were inside the seating area of the arena while it occurred. And I did not like the loud "rockets RED!!!g glare" part that was part of the NC State and Carolina Hurricanes crowd's anthem routine. I too thought it unnecessarily disrespectful, per Jim and some others with the OH at Duke the other day.

That said, I would find myself out in the concession area concourse during a lot of anthems late in the season. And in hockey, you often have two anthems to get through - when teams from Canada visit. I figured if I were a bit burnt out on the anthem routine, it would be better not to be in the seat during it, faking it.

To clarify, I would not want more songs, but use other songs in place of the "Star Spangled Banner" at times.

budwom
01-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Since we have RJ on our team, it's not out of place to mention that Canada has a much better nation anthem, tune-wise...
For many years, the Montreal Canadiens had opera singer R. J. Doucet sing the anthem, and by the time he was finished the Forum was sizzling with energy.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 09:37 AM
To clarify, I would not want more songs, but use other songs in place of the "Star Spangled Banner" at times.

Gotcha, and to further clarify, I was not disagreeing with your post.....I was just making an observation, one I had not thought of until I had 41 home games a year with season tickets.

mattman91
01-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Since we have RJ on our team, it's not out of place to mention that Canada has a much better nation anthem, tune-wise...
For many years, the Montreal Canadiens had opera singer R. J. Doucet sing the anthem, and by the time he was finished the Forum was sizzling with energy.

The do have a beautiful anthem, but when they randomly switch to French halfway through I get completely lost.

Wouldn't it be cool if we one day did the Canadian and Australian anthem for RJ and Jack? Perhaps play the Australian anthem for Jack on his Senior Night next year...

budwom
01-21-2019, 09:43 AM
The do have a beautiful anthem, but when they randomly switch to French halfway through I get completely lost.

Wouldn't it be cool if we one day did the Canadian and Australian anthem for RJ and Jack? Perhaps play the Australian anthem for Jack on his Senior Night next year...

I kind of like the bilingual thing, but if you go out West, some of those Canadian provinces keep it in English..

uh_no
01-21-2019, 09:49 AM

they did the Canadian anthem the other week.

sagegrouse
01-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Isn't it the Florida State baseball fans who sing "O Canada" during the seventh inning stretch? No particular reason -- just their thing.

DukeDevilDeb
01-21-2019, 11:55 AM

I agree, Jim. I haven't heard the students do that en masse for a long time. Each game (especially those over the holidays) when the students aren't there, we get one or two "former" students who start to put their arms up and quickly bring them down when they realize no one else is doing this. I am very, very sure that it was not the Duke students who did this. Great anthem. Great game!

jimsumner
01-21-2019, 12:09 PM

Indeed. And I'm not sure I've ever heard the Canadian national anthem at Duke, even though Barrett is the fourth Canadian to play at Duke, which also currently has an Australian and has in the past had players from England, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Nigeria, the Sudan and probably a country or two I've forgotten. DWBB currently has players from Australia and Nigeria and has had players from France and Spain. Soccer, field hockey, other Duke team sports also have international athletes.

I'm not sure if this was a paradigm-changer or a one-off. But lots of possibilities, if the former.

AZLA
01-21-2019, 12:13 PM

As long as it’s not the Fergie rendition

Stray Gator
01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Our seats above the Duke bench in Section 5, where we've been for more than 10 seasons now, face the Cameron Crazies in the risers directly across the court. I can attest to the fact that for the past two seasons, at least, appearances of the raised-arms "O" yell during the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner in that crowd have been extremely rare and isolated. At most games, we haven't seen or heard it at all -- and since I dislike it immensely, I'd certainly notice.

As for the National Anthem of Canada, the only time I can recall hearing it in Cameron was before the Syracuse game last Monday evening. I thought it was a nice tip of the hat to R.J. Barrett, and perhaps an appropriate time to play it given the relative geographic proximity of the visitors' campus to our fine neighbors up north. The superstitious among us, however, might not be faulted if they would prefer that any such tribute be shelved for the foreseeable future.

Reilly
01-21-2019, 12:32 PM
As long as it’s not the Fergie rendition

I didn't mind the Fergie rendition, thought there was too much chatter about it, and the episode struck me as an unwarranted internet moment. I believe I encountered some of the online derision first, and then when I saw the actual performance it struck me as not warranting the commentary. I'm probably in the minority there. I'm a Fergie fan and find her voice in some of her songs just wonderful, so that may color my reaction.

mattman91
01-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Woops...I forgot about Vrank. Lets play the Croatian anthem for Senior Night this year :D

This makes me wonder, have we ever had a team that has more countries represented than this year's team?

rsvman
01-21-2019, 01:31 PM
I like the Canadian anthem, too.

I believe the first lines go like this: "O Canada! It's really cold here, eh."

robed deity
01-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Thought this was about Jimmy Buffett until I double checked the date. Man, that was subpar.

devildeac
01-21-2019, 01:35 PM

What a hoser!

(;))

budwom
01-21-2019, 01:45 PM
Woops...I forgot about Vrank. Lets play the Croatian anthem for Senior Night this year :D

This makes me wonder, have we ever had a team that has more countries represented than this year's team?

Zion's from South Carolina, so there's another one...

devilseven
01-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Folks in South Carolina would consider that a compliment, nor an insult.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Folks in South Carolina would consider that a compliment, nor an insult.

....yeah, they've done that before.....

Indoor66
01-21-2019, 01:50 PM

I like their license plate that translates: I Buy Souvenirs. South Florida merchants love them....😍🤣😎

devilseven
01-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Folks in South Carolina would consider that a compliment, not an insult.

budwom
01-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Folks in South Carolina would consider that a compliment, not an insult.

absolutely! Mustard BBQ and all...

DU82
01-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Indeed. And I'm not sure I've ever heard the Canadian national anthem at Duke, even though Barrett is the fourth Canadian to play at Duke, which also currently has an Australian and has in the past had players from England, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Nigeria, the Sudan and probably a country or two I've forgotten. DWBB currently has players from Australia and Nigeria and has had players from France and Spain. Soccer, field hockey, other Duke team sports also have international athletes.

I'm not sure if this was a paradigm-changer or a one-off. But lots of possibilities, if the former.

DUMB played O Canada before Danny Meagher's last home game in 1985. (I had the keys to the music library and found the sheet music.) They did not, as best I recall, play it for Greg Newton's last game. (Wasn't here for Cameron Hall's last game, if I remember the first of the quartet correctly.)

A recording was played when the Canadian national team played an exhibition in Cameron back when that was still allowed. IIRC, the words were handed out to the students and they sang along quite nicely.

budwom
01-21-2019, 02:57 PM
DUMB played O Canada before Danny Meagher's last home game in 1985. (I had the keys to the music library and found the sheet music.) They did not, as best I recall, play it for Greg Newton's last game. (Wasn't here for Cameron Hall's last game, if I remember the first of the quartet correctly.)

A recording was played when the Canadian national team played an exhibition in Cameron back when that was still allowed. IIRC, the words were handed out to the students and they sang along quite nicely.

For Newton I think K had the band play "Hit the Road, Jack," but I might be wrong.

jimsumner
01-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the correction on Meagher. He deserved it.

Newton was a bit on the outs by the end of his Duke tenure.

Cameron Hall didn't really have a last game. He had back problems and dropped off the team in the middle of his junior season, which was 1978 and we all know how that season turned out.

Come to think of it, most of Duke's international players haven't really had a senior day. Deng went NBA after one season. Ast, Boateng, Czyz and Obi all transferred out. Pocius graduated but he had a fifth year (medical redshirt) that he elected to not use, so no one knew his last game was his last game.

Alaa Abdelnaby is an interesting case. He was born in Egypt. But his family was living in New Jersey at the time of his birth. There was a family tradition that dictated that he be born in Egypt. But he and his mother returned to New Jersey shortly after his birth.

And Kyrie Irving was born in Australia, where his father was playing professionally. But I don't think anyone considers him an Aussie.

AZLA
01-21-2019, 03:27 PM
I didn't mind the Fergie rendition, thought there was too much chatter about it, and the episode struck me as an unwarranted internet moment. I believe I encountered some of the online derision first, and then when I saw the actual performance it struck me as not warranting the commentary. I'm probably in the minority there. I'm a Fergie fan and find her voice in some of her songs just wonderful, so that may color my reaction.

True. The full version wasn’t as Green-cringeworthy as the edited versions that went into meme-land. Context is everything. And everyone is looking for an internet story, Fergie included. For me a subtext of the thread is people modifying the national anthem to draw attention to themselves. Some people are against it, some are for it, others don’t think twice about it. When Whitney went for it during the Gulf War — it blew up because she stylized it and while some traditionalists may have shuddered it was well received and is considered a milestone moment in sports-entertainment. It also helped blow up her career (even more) and from publicist/pr standpoint, many recording artists have been trying to replicate that standard for their careers ever since or just calling extra attention to themselves. Case in point, Jimmy Buffet dropping the mic. All I care about is if the person is authentic, sings it because they feel honored to do so. Not trying to call attention to themselves. And moves on without making it about them. In Fergies case … she went for it … took a chance and whether she has a good voice or not … it felt a little like she was making it about her (just my opinion). Regardless to your point had the cameras not caught the Green snickering, it wouldn’t been that big a deal. It was overblown. That being said I give props to anyone who gets up in front of a stadium and sings the NA. It’s a hard song to vocalize. I don’t care if it’s a kid, amateur or professional … or even if they sing off key or poorly ... as long as it’s genuine and from the heart...

Just to bring it back full circle to Duke basketball… here is Quin Cook and friends having some fun with the remix
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M4y9ZUhOBQU&feature=youtu.be

Long live the NA

DU82
01-21-2019, 04:26 PM
...When Whitney went for it during the Gulf War — it blew up because she stylized it and while some traditionalists may have shuddered it was well received and is considered a milestone moment in sports-entertainment. It also helped blow up her career (even more) and from publicist/pr standpoint, many recording artists have been trying to replicate that standard for their careers ever since or just calling extra attention to themselves...

My objection to Whitney's version is that it was sung in 4/4, not 3/4. That gave an arrangement to other lesser talented singers (meaning, almost everybody else) and a chance for them to sing it out of rhythm.

I would love for us to return to just having DUMB play, and the crowd sing along.

RaiderDevil
01-21-2019, 04:27 PM
I love Jimmy Buffett and have seen him many times. Based on the last concert I saw of his, the national anthem yesterday was typical if his attempts to entertain.

rasputin
01-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Playing the anthem before a baseball game started during World War I, not II. (Yes, I know it wasn't the official national anthem then.)

Reilly
02-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't it be great if a soloist simply invited everybody to sing along? Wouldn't it be great if Cameron was famous for everybody singing out together?

When I read this piece ("Recovering from Cultural Dementia") I thought of Ima's and DitBD's call for more singing: https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2019/02/23/recovering-from-cultural-dementia/?utm_source=The+Catholic+Thing+Daily&utm_campaign=0921249f8b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_07_01_02_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_769a14e16a-0921249f8b-244050469

Mos amandi, mos cantandi: as we sing, so shall we love. If we don’t sing, our love will become, or must already be, frail and thin. Singing is what the lover does, said Augustine.

If people are defined by the poetry they share – by the songs they can all sing together with maybe one or two prompts to jog the memory, then we are undefined, not a people at all, only an aggregate.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2019, 01:35 PM
One of the few highlights of this week's game was the anthem. I didn't catch his name, but the officer who sung it was a vet from Afghanistan I believe.
He put his heart and soul into the song, and crushed it.

uh_no
02-23-2019, 01:44 PM
One of the few highlights of this week's game was the anthem. I didn't catch his name, but the officer who sung it was a vet from Afghanistan I believe.
He put his heart and soul into the song, and crushed it.

I met him after the game, and also forget his name. But it was a great story. His buddy knew he was a great singer and got him a gig singing the anthem at a cupcake game...it was either earlier this year or last year. The department was so impressed with him and his singing that they invited him back to sing on saturday (and of course, the singer asked for one extra ticket so the guy who got him the gig could come).

Dude's got a set of pipes.

CameronBornAndBred
02-23-2019, 03:15 PM
I met him after the game, and also forget his name. But it was a great story. His buddy knew he was a great singer and got him a gig singing the anthem at a cupcake game...it was either earlier this year or last year. The department was so impressed with him and his singing that they invited him back to sing on saturday (and of course, the singer asked for one extra ticket so the guy who got him the gig could come).

Dude's got a set of pipes.

Have to spread the love before sporking again, but that is a great story. Thanks for sharing!