PDA

View Full Version : What is the status of Joey Baker?

geeveebee
01-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Has he officially redshirted? Is there a chance he could be activated for the upcoming stretch of games? Just curious.

uh_no
01-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Has he officially redshirted? Is there a chance he could be activated for the upcoming stretch of games? Just curious.

afaik there is no "officially redshirted." you either play in the season or you don't. He hasn't played so he can still maintain the year of eligibility.

That said, I don't see any reason or indication he will play.

COYS
01-17-2019, 02:17 PM

There's no need for Duke to "officially announce" a red-shirt. If he doesn't set foot on the court this season in an official game (not counting exhibitions), he will have automatically red-shirted and have four years of eligibility left. It's obvious that this is the plan. I would imagine it would take quite the injury crisis to decide to stray from this plan. With the current injury situation, the only way it would make sense to play Joey would be if Tre is out for the rest of the season AND the staff thinks that Joey is good enough to contribute significantly more as the 8th man than Jordan or the 9th man Justin, assuming the bench rotation currently consists of Marques, AOC, Jordan, and Justin in emergencies.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-17-2019, 03:12 PM
There's no need for Duke to "officially announce" a red-shirt. If he doesn't set foot on the court this season in an official game (not counting exhibitions), he will have automatically red-shirted and have four years of eligibility left. It's obvious that this is the plan. I would imagine it would take quite the injury crisis to decide to stray from this plan. With the current injury situation, the only way it would make sense to play Joey would be if Tre is out for the rest of the season AND the staff thinks that Joey is good enough to contribute significantly more as the 8th man than Jordan or the 9th man Justin, assuming the bench rotation currently consists of Marques, AOC, Jordan, and Justin in emergencies.

Is the hoops rule still zip zero nada? I mean, football is now up to a third of the season before you lose the year of eligibility. You would think hoops would have a similar rule of some time....5 game... 8 games....what have you.

JasonEvans
01-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Is the hoops rule still zip zero nada? I mean, football is now up to a third of the season before you lose the year of eligibility. You would think hoops would have a similar rule of some time...5 game... 8 games...what have you.

If you get injured in hoops, you can apply for a redshirt if you have played in 20% of games or less. So, in a typical 30 game season, if you get hurt after playing in 6 games or less, you can get a redshirt. But, unlike football, if you are merely asking for a redshirt for non-medical reasons, you cannot play even 1 second of a game.

-Jason "and that is why Buckmire and Besser get time when Baker does not" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
01-17-2019, 03:46 PM
If you get injured in hoops, you can apply for a redshirt if you have played in 20% of games or less. So, in a typical 30 game season, if you get hurt after playing in 6 games or less, you can get a redshirt. But, unlike football, if you are merely asking for a redshirt for non-medical reasons, you cannot play even 1 second of a game.

-Jason "and that is why Buckmire and Besser get time when Baker does not" Evans

Thanks....and I'll predict that this rule is loosened up in the near future......

Indoor66
01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
Thanks...and I'll predict that this rule is loosened up in the near future...

On what basis do you predict this change?

scottdude8
01-17-2019, 03:52 PM
As a few others have mentioned, you don't have to "officially" redshirt a player at any point in time. This is something I learned first hand doing some reporting back for The Chronicle on Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee when they redshirted. You end up "applying" for a redshirt after the season ends, and it is approved or not based upon how much a player has played and whether there is any injuries involved. So theoretically Coach K could put Joey Baker in at any point in time. It doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-17-2019, 03:57 PM
On what basis do you predict this change?

The new football rule....up to four full games, no questions asked.......still keep 4 years of eligibility. I can't imagine they'd loosen up football but keep hoops so tight....especially given that the NCAA wants to move away from OAD teams. This would get another lever for teams to develop talent, and help teams like Duke as they transition from OAD status.

Devilwin
01-17-2019, 05:32 PM
The kid can really stroke the three. And, after that "brickfest " the other day..hmmm

MrPoon
01-18-2019, 03:00 PM
I知 glad you brought him up. Not because I want to see him play this year, that痴 clearly not the plan. Rather I知 really interested in this approach for stockpiling talent in a new way. Bring in a very good talent a year early, hit the weight room, adjust to college, learn K痴 D. Still have four years left if need be. That could include a secondary degree from a good school if he stays. If not, he will look better to scouts with less tape of him adjusting but rather more fully integrated.

We値l only know in a year or two if this is a great approach but in hindsight this might have even helped a skinny kid like AOC. We値l see, maybe K is getting another step ahead of everyone or maybe this is a unique one off.

Rich
01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
I知 glad you brought him up. Not because I want to see him play this year, that痴 clearly not the plan. Rather I知 really interested in this approach for stockpiling talent in a new way. Bring in a very good talent a year early, hit the weight room, adjust to college, learn K痴 D. Still have four years left if need be. That could include a secondary degree from a good school if he stays. If not, he will look better to scouts with less tape of him adjusting but rather more fully integrated.

We値l only know in a year or two if this is a great approach but in hindsight this might have even helped a skinny kid like AOC. We値l see, maybe K is getting another step ahead of everyone or maybe this is a unique one off.

Pretty sure this is already a common strategy for many teams who bring in mid-tier talent. Doesn't UVA redshirt 2-3 freshmen every year?

jimsumner
01-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure this is already a common strategy for many teams who bring in mid-tier talent. Doesn't UVA redshirt 2-3 freshmen every year?

Yes. But Baker was a top-20 recruit in his original class. Players at that level rarely are healthy redshirts.

brevity
02-25-2019, 08:50 PM
What is the status of Joey Baker?

Activated.

/thread

wsb3
02-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Activated.

/thread

Well Done..

uh_no
02-25-2019, 09:36 PM
I doubt he qualifies to file as head of household or married.

(Poll: what do you think uh_no was doing this weekend)