View Full Version : ACC announces 2019 football schedule

jimsumner
01-16-2019, 02:38 PM
http://www.theacc.com/news/2019/1/16/acc-announces-2019-football-schedule.aspx

http://theacc.com/documents/2019/1/16/2019_Team_By_Team_Football_Schedule.pdf

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Aug. 31 vs. Alabama
(Chick-fi l-A Kickoff Game, Atlanta, Ga.)
Sept. 7 NORTH CAROLINA A&T
Sept. 14 at Middle Tennessee
Sept. 27 at Virginia Tech (Fri.)
Oct. 5 PITT
Oct. 12 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 19 at Virginia
Oct. 26 at North Carolina
Nov. 9 NOTRE DAME ...........................ACC Network
Nov. 16 SYRACUSE
Nov. 23 at Wake Forest
Nov. 30 MIAMI

Only one home game in September, that's a welcome switch. Three in November...football weather in Wallace Wade!

jimsumner
01-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Aug. 31 vs. Alabama
Oct. 5 PITT
Oct. 12 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 19 at Virginia
Nov. 9 NOTRE DAME .............ACC Network
Nov. 16 SYRACUSE
Nov. 23 at Wake Forest
Nov. 30 MIAMI

Only one home game in September, that's a welcome switch. Three in November...football weather in Wallace Wade!

Open date after only three games is sub-optimal.

And Blacksburg on a Friday night could be interesting.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Silver lining, that's a good game to have extra time to prepare for.

chrishoke
01-16-2019, 03:04 PM

There are 2 bye weeks this year - another before we play ND.

Bob Green
01-16-2019, 03:11 PM
There are 2 bye weeks this year - another before we play ND.

Nice catch! Two bye weeks is helpful for mitigating bumps and bruises. I'm happy the Friday night game is on the road. Six home games -- six Saturday games.

DarkstarWahoo
01-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Friday night games are going to happen more and more with the ACC Network needing to fill time.

Also, check out UNC and Wake playing each other in a non-conference game. Anyone know if you guys have considered something like that? Breaking up the four NC schools was one of many bad outcomes of expansion.

jimsumner
01-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Good catch on the second open date.

Note also that Duke hosts Miami on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, a date which traditionally has not been good for attendance.

On a side note, is anyone researching tattoo parlors in Murfreesboro?

BigWayne
01-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Friday night games are going to happen more and more with the ACC Network needing to fill time.

Also, check out UNC and Wake playing each other in a non-conference game. Anyone know if you guys have considered something like that? Breaking up the four NC schools was one of many bad outcomes of expansion.

Duke and NCSU should schedule a non-conference home and home in 2023/2026.

Tripping William
01-16-2019, 04:36 PM

That would be OPK. :o

Bob Green
01-16-2019, 04:37 PM

Why?

I see no advantage to playing N.C. State as a non-conference opponent. I'd rather see us play series against opponents such as Troy, Tulane, FIU and Middle Tennessee. Those type games provide at least two positives:

1. A solid opportunity for a win. To quote Coach Cutcliffe, "You have to know how to count to six in this business."

2. Exposure to potential recruits in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida and Tennessee.

Duke can certainly beat N.C. State in both Wallace Wade and Carter-Finley but I don't see a win over State expanding our recruiting base as Duke already recruits in North Carolina hard.

I'd also prefer future games against Army or Navy over N.C. State. What the heck, let's schedule Air Force and go play in Colorado.

Reilly
01-16-2019, 04:44 PM
The October 5 game against Pitt is during Duke's fall break: https://registrar.duke.edu/2019-2020-academic-calendar

But I guess that date and opponent were chosen as it's 90 years to the day since our football stadium hosted its first game, against Pitt -- October 5, 1929.

chrishoke
01-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Why?

I see no advantage to playing N.C. State as a non-conference opponent. I'd rather see us play series against opponents such as Troy, Tulane, FIU and Middle Tennessee. Those type games provide at least two positives:

1. A solid opportunity for a win. To quote Coach Cutcliffe, "You have to know how to count to six in this business."

2. Exposure to potential recruits in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida and Tennessee.

Duke can certainly beat N.C. State in both Wallace Wade and Carter-Finley but I don't see a win over State expanding our recruiting base as Duke already recruits in North Carolina hard.

I'd also prefer future games against Army or Navy over N.C. State. What the heck, let's schedule Air Force and go play in Colorado.

That would be a can't miss road trip.

duke2x
01-16-2019, 05:56 PM
That wasn't what I was expecting.

Aug. 31 vs. Alabama
Sept. 14 at Middle Tennessee-- This is a huge trap game for Duke, IMO. MTSU isn't that bad. They regularly give Vandy fits.
Sept. 21 BYE #1. --Not sure whether this is H or A. It's always tough, and we don't need it for GT now that Paul Johnson is gone.
Sept. 27 at Virginia Tech (Fri.)--Not that many games have been moved to Th/F compared to last year. I'm not that sure this will be ACC-N because ESPN will prioritize its Friday schedule first.
Oct. 5 PITT-- Good historical catch.
Oct. 12 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 19 at Virginia
Oct. 26 at North Carolina -- Part of a 2-week rivalry series for UNC. They host UVA the next week.
Nov. 9 NOTRE DAME ......ACC Network. Disappointed we won't get the free ESPN TV exposure, but I would expect this to be a night game.
Nov. 16 SYRACUSE
Nov. 23 at Wake Forest. They play @Clemson the week before. We need to avenge the biggest Vegas upset in college football history by at least 1 point.
Nov. 30 MIAMI.

duke2x
01-16-2019, 06:01 PM

I guarantee those are FCS openings if we are still allowed to schedule them. We do have P5 openings in 2024 and 2028+. I wouldn't mind asking Army for a couple more games because Navy and AFA aren't going to happen now that they are in leagues. (AFA still "owes" Wake a return trip from 1999, but I'm not holding my breath.)

OldPhiKap
01-16-2019, 07:56 PM
Good catch on the second open date.

Note also that Duke hosts Miami on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, a date which traditionally has not been good for attendance.

That would be OPK. :o

Got you covered:

https://threebestrated.com/tattoo-shops-in-murfreesboro-tn

Reilly
01-16-2019, 08:19 PM
No DJ, no JGH, no TJ, no Ben H, no Lloyd, no problem.

We got Charlie Ham and we're going 9-3.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2019, 01:52 PM
As good of a thread as any for this.

FSU has kicked past starting QB Deondre Francois off the team. Ahhhh seeeeeya.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25915212/florida-state-dismisses-qb-deondre-francois-team

HereBeforeCoachK
02-03-2019, 01:58 PM
The October 5 game against Pitt is during Duke's fall break: https://registrar.duke.edu/2019-2020-academic-calendar

But I guess that date and opponent were chosen as it's 90 years to the day since our football stadium hosted its first game, against Pitt -- October 5, 1929.

With one home game on fall break and another on Thanksgiving weekend, ole Wally Wade will really be rocking at least twice......./s

devildeac
02-03-2019, 02:13 PM
As good of a thread as any for this.

FSU has kicked past starting QB Deondre Francois off the team. Ahhhh seeeeeya.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25915212/florida-state-dismisses-qb-deondre-francois-team

And no crustaceans were involved. Amazing.

budwom
02-03-2019, 04:31 PM
No DJ, no JGH, no TJ, no Ben H, no Lloyd, no problem.

We got Charlie Ham and we're going 9-3.

Gonna win a lot of 15-14 games.

BandAlum83
02-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Aug. 31 vs. Alabama
Oct. 5 PITT
Oct. 12 GEORGIA TECH
Oct. 19 at Virginia
Nov. 9 NOTRE DAME .............ACC Network
Nov. 16 SYRACUSE
Nov. 23 at Wake Forest
Nov. 30 MIAMI

No Clemson or FL St. That's good to see. Is it my imagination, or are 8 or 9 wins a possibility?

budwom
02-03-2019, 05:09 PM
No Clemson or FL St. That's good to see. Is it my imagination, or are 8 or 9 wins a possibility?

I'm as faithful a fan as you'll find, but I think a realistic over/under for this team is around 4.5 Would love for you to be right.
Yes, no Clemmons or FSU, but we get ND and Syracuse instead. Tough schedule, good defense, many questions for the offense.

WakeDevil
02-03-2019, 05:51 PM
I am sure that playing at Middle Tennessee will open the floodgates to recruits from that state.

It is outrageous that two schools thirty minutes apart and with decades-old history against each other do not play annually.

jimsumner
02-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Duke was 3-5 in the ACC last season, 4-0 in non-conference games.

With Alabama and Notre Dame on the schedule, going 4-0 in non-conference games would seem like a tough get.

Duke likely would have to go 6-2 in the ACC to get eight wins.

Nine wins would require 7-1 in the ACC.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Duke was 3-5 in the ACC last season, 4-0 in non-conference games.

With Alabama and Notre Dame on the schedule, going 4-0 in non-conference games would seem like a tough get.

Duke likely would have to go 6-2 in the ACC to get eight wins.

Nine wins would require 7-1 in the ACC.

Yep, frankly 9 losses looks more likely than 9 wins due to the schedule....though I'm pretty sure the result will be something in between those extreme.

CameronBornAndBred
02-03-2019, 06:50 PM
I wish we had them this past season, and I still am annoyed at the egg we laid in 2017. Talk about prime opportunity missed. Having FSU on your schedule ain't what it used to be.

richardjackson199
02-03-2019, 07:17 PM
I'm as faithful a fan as you'll find, but I think a realistic over/under for this team is around 4.5 Would love for you to be right.
Yes, no Clemmons or FSU, but we get ND and Syracuse instead. Tough schedule, good defense, many questions for the offense.

Seems fair. I'll take the Over. I think 6 wins is a good, realistic goal given our difficult schedule.

budwom
02-04-2019, 09:54 AM
I am sure that playing at Middle Tennessee will open the floodgates to recruits from that state.

It is outrageous that two schools thirty minutes apart and with decades-old history against each other do not play annually.

One thing I do know is that Cut has a VERY high priority for getting six regular season wins and a bowl game. Has to have that for both recruiting and for the extra practice that comes with it.
As such, he needs to have at least 2-3 highly winnable games in the OOC schedule...replacing MTSU or A&T with State would surely get more fans in the seats, but it would imperil our bowl chances.

This past year we had a solid season, but were only 3-5 in conference....check our record, we haven't hit 4-4 in conference under Cut all that often. Have to have some OOC wins (we had a good year this year in
that regard as Jim pointed out). With ND and Syracuse on the schedule this year, the last thing Cut wants is to replace a likely win with State.

Highlander
02-04-2019, 10:20 AM
I wish we had them this past season, and I still am annoyed at the egg we laid in 2017. Talk about prime opportunity missed. Having FSU on your schedule ain't what it used to be.

Yup, and we have the dubious distinction of being the only team in the conference who has never, ever, ever beaten FSU in football. In fact, we've never even been particularly close.

jimsumner
02-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Yup, and we have the dubious distinction of being the only team in the conference who has never, ever, ever beaten FSU in football. In fact, we've never even been particularly close.

The last time Duke played FSU, Duke had the ball deep in FSU territory with a chance to tie. A Daniel Jones pass was batted down in the end zone on the last play.

Seems particularly close to me.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 11:25 AM
The last time Duke played FSU, Duke had the ball deep in FSU territory with a chance to tie. A Daniel Jones pass was batted down in the end zone on the last play.

Seems particularly close to me.

I would even say that Duke probably should have won that game. FSU was no better.

budwom
02-04-2019, 11:58 AM
I would even say that Duke probably should have won that game. FSU was no better.

sore point on that game, we threw a final pass into the end zone (jump ball) to Rahming...he does many things well, outjumping much taller guys is not one of them.
Why we didn't have three tight ends down there is beyond me, but I'm just a humble fan....

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2019, 12:38 PM
And no crustaceans were involved. Amazing.

Not sure why you think this situation is worthy of joking. Domestic abuse is a serious charge.

budwom
02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Not sure why you think this situation is worthy of joking. Domestic abuse is a serious charge.

whoa, I think you might have your wires crossed on this. DevilDeac was (I am quite certain) referring to Jameis Winston's famous lobster theft, which seems to have nothing to do with Francois's domestic violence which I'm sure we all agree is deplorable.
But lobster theft should be highly mockable.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2019, 12:55 PM
whoa, I think you might have your wires crossed on this. DevilDeac was (I am quite certain) referring to Jameis Winston's famous lobster theft, which seems to have nothing to do with Francois's domestic violence which I'm sure we all agree is deplorable.

I understand what the reference is. I just didn't think a humorous comment like that is appropriate in a conversation about Francois's misdeeds.

devildeac
02-04-2019, 01:08 PM

Domestic abuse is not mentioned in my post. At all. Try this event:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10861565/jameis-winston-florida-state-seminoles-cited-shoplifting

HereBeforeCoachK
02-04-2019, 01:38 PM
sore point on that game, we threw a final pass into the end zone (jump ball) to Rahming...he does many things well, outjumping much taller guys is not one of them.
Why we didn't have three tight ends down there is beyond me, but I'm just a humble fan...

Yep.....and another thing - it just kind of seemed like Duke was afraid to win that game....as if they really couldn't believe they were as good - or better - than FSU.....the whole game kind of tentative in that regard. (I do think that's the game where DJ had a nice roll out scramble bomb to TJ at some point.....am I right?)

CameronBornAndBred
02-04-2019, 01:48 PM

I understand what the reference is. I just didn't think a humorous comment like that is appropriate in a conversation about Francois's misdeeds.

The reason behind his dismissal was not quickly announced. I didn't read about it until a full day later. (And after DD's comment)

devildeac
02-04-2019, 01:54 PM
The reason behind his dismissal was not quickly announced. I didn't read about it until a full day later. (And after DD's comment)

We have discussed/clarified/explained/sorted out/expounded on this issue via PM. All is well. ;)

OldPhiKap
02-04-2019, 05:12 PM
We have discussed/clarified/explained/sorted out/expounded on this issue via PM. All is well. ;)

Two great posters, working things out in the right way. Kudos to you both.

jv001
02-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Two great posters, working things out in the right way. Kudos to you both.

It's great to see two posters working out a problem without post after post trying to prove they are right and are the most intelligent member on DBR.:cool: GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2019, 11:49 AM
A couple game times have been announced.

Duke's home game versus North Carolina A&T is set for 6 p.m. The Blue Devils' game at Virginia Tech on Friday, Sept. 27 will kick off at 7 p.m. on ESPN.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/early-season-acc-football-game-times-and-networks-announced/18392223/

budwom
05-17-2019, 12:45 PM
A couple game times have been announced.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/early-season-acc-football-game-times-and-networks-announced/18392223/

glad I won't have to watch a Va Tech game at home, there's the silver lining. Last year's game was such a buzz kill, we came in 4-0 and barely showed up. Worse than the final score indicated.

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2019, 12:56 PM
glad I won't have to watch a Va Tech game at home, there's the silver lining. Last year's game was such a buzz kill, we came in 4-0 and barely showed up. Worse than the final score indicated.

Plus, it's always fun to rain on the parade in Blacksburg.

jimsumner
05-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Plus, it's always fun to rain on the parade in Blacksburg.

It was just rain the last time in Blacksburg. :(

Bob Green
05-21-2019, 04:09 PM
The September 14 game at Middle Tenn State will kick off at 6 pm.

OldPhiKap
05-21-2019, 07:57 PM
The September 14 game at Middle Tenn State will kick off at 6 pm.

Should be perfect football weather at that time. (Unless it rains of course)

Bob Green
05-21-2019, 08:32 PM
Should be perfect football weather at that time. (Unless it rains of course)

Seeing as I will be sitting in my easy chair watching on TV, I'm not too concerned about rain.

budwom
05-22-2019, 07:47 AM
I bet some of us can see the game on the new ACC Network which should be available in Latvia and parts of Estonia...

Acymetric
05-22-2019, 08:10 AM
I bet some of us can see the game on the new ACC Network which should be available in Latvia and parts of Estonia...

Is it part of WatchESPN or only if your TV provider carries it?

budwom
05-22-2019, 08:16 AM

I suspect that's true, though maybe the existence of the ACC Network will change things...(WatchESPN that is)...

msdukie
05-22-2019, 11:30 PM

It's a road game at a non-ACC school, therefore it is not an ACC TV controlled game and will be on MTSU's TV package.

msdukie
05-22-2019, 11:31 PM

ACC Network and ACC Network Extra will be streamable on the ESPN app with TV provider authentication, just like all the ESPN channels are now.

Acymetric
05-23-2019, 09:48 AM
ACC Network and ACC Network Extra will be streamable on the ESPN app with TV provider authentication, just like all the ESPN channels are now.

Which means your TV provider would have to carry it (and if it isn't part of the base package you would also need to be subscribed to whatever sports package includes ACC Network).

duke2x
05-24-2019, 12:21 AM
It's a road game at a non-ACC school, therefore it is not an ACC TV controlled game and will be on MTSU's TV package.

I don't think you have to worry about that game being on TV. The best case scenario is ESPN3.

Acymetric
05-24-2019, 12:51 AM
I don't think you have to worry about that game being on TV. The best case scenario is ESPN3.

There is a decent chance it will be on CBS Sports Network. Also, I'm guessing that is 6:00 pm CT, so 7 pm for East Coast folks.