PDA

View Full Version : Taking my son to the Virginia game!

Lord Ash
01-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Hey all!

So a friend has two tickets that he gave me for the Duke Virginia game, and I’m bringing my seven-year-old son.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been at Duke and Durham… Any recommendations for restaurants for a seven-year-old or stuff to look at or do? Obviously we’re gonna walk around campus for a long time :) we are flying in Friday evening and leaving Sunday morning

By the way, practical information about Cameron itself, and the concourse and museum all that, would be appreciated… I went to school there when none of that existed :)

Btw, we are staying at the Hilton Garden Medical Center, which seems to be basically RIGHT on 9th street. Duke buses to the game and back?

So excited!

uh_no
01-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Hey all!

So a friend has two tickets that he gave me for the Duke Virginia game, and I’m bringing my seven-year-old son.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been at Duke and Durham… Any recommendations for restaurants for a seven-year-old or stuff to look at or do? Obviously we’re gonna walk around campus for a long time :) we are flying in Friday evening and leaving Sunday morning

By the way, practical information about Cameron itself, and the concourse and museum all that, would be appreciated… I went to school there when none of that existed :)

Btw, we are staying at the Hilton Garden Medical Center, which seems to be basically RIGHT on 9th street. Duke buses to the game and back?

So excited!

assuming your 7 year old likes hamburgers like most 7 year olds, burger bach is right there in the new harris teeter plaza

on campus, the loop in the BC would be pretty kid friendly as well

definitely chekc out the new "improved" west union

go downstairs before the game and walk onto one of the corners of the floor. They'll stop you and not let you go too far, but at least you can stand on one small corner of the floor

The team goes in and out of the tunnel several times before the game

~40 minute -> to the locker room
~30 minute -> out for layup line
~12 minutes -> to the locker room
~ 6:30 -> out for game

If you happen to be down there, you can see the team run by. The usher at that door is pretty good with kids...but he'll probably have his hands full with students for this one, and they may not even let non students through that door. try one of the others if you just want to get close to the floor

It's much harder to get on the floor after the game these days since they clear everyone out pretty quick. But if you get down quickly, you may be able to get into section 17 as the students are heading out, suggest the south side...and you ought definitely be able to walk between press row and the ropes and actually be on the floor.

There's memorabilia in both the south lobby where you enter and the museum.

Get there on the earlier side before they/we run out of programs.

Walk around the seating bowl and take pictures of the banners (or the worst seats in the house, as some of us do...)

Clocktower
01-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Should be an awesome time and a great game atmosphere.

Brodhead Center for a meal is a must, i.e. the old Student Union space. Downstairs Krafthouse is likely a good pregame spot even with a kid.

You may be able to walk through the open Wally Wade concourse and that's worth a look, as well as other new facilities such as the huge Nike store right there and the new track on the old IM fields. You won't want to miss tents at K'ville, and the entrance to the Hall of Fame etc. is right there as well. Save that for a little before the game starts but obviously you'll want to be in your seats for most of the warmups etc.

I've never been to the lemur center but if available a 7 year old would love that.

Coballs
01-16-2019, 10:50 AM
The Duke Athletics Hall of Fame is in the tower adjacent to Cameron. If you've never been, you absolutely have to check it out. You will need your ticket to enter the HOF on game day. I recommend going in about 45 minutes before tipoff. It is connected directly to Cameron so you can easily enter the stadium once inside the HOF. They sell food, beer and wine there as well.

uh_no
01-16-2019, 10:56 AM
The Duke Athletics Hall of Fame is in the tower adjacent to Cameron. If you've never been, you absolutely have to check it out. You will need your ticket to enter the HOF on game day. I recommend going in about 45 minutes before tipoff. It is connected directly to Cameron so you can easily enter the stadium once inside the HOF. They sell food, beer and wine there as well.

It's usually not closed to general public until something like 3 hours before the game, and then afterwards is only open to ticketed patrons.

Devilwin
01-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Being there in itself is special. Enjoy yourselves!

-jk
01-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Hey all!

So excited!

Hope he had a blast!

-jk

Lord Ash
01-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Ugh:( Unfortunately we were forecast to get a major storm here in the North East, RIGHT when we would be flying back, so we ended up cancelling!

Then the storm turned out to be a total dud in our area, so basically we cancelled for nothing:(

Very disappointing. But the person I gave the tickets to had a great time, so at least someone enjoyed it?:)