PDA

View Full Version : Some important (and potentially calming) context for last night vs. Syracuse

scottdude8
01-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Regarding the loss: Historically, mid-January seems to have been the time where Duke teams, especially freshmen led teams, have hit the proverbial "wall" and suffered questionable losses. The 2015 team (that, remember, ended up winning it all) lost back-to-back games by double digits, including a home loss to unranked Miami, on January 11 and 13. They went on to win every game the rest of the season against teams that weren't Notre Dame. Last year we lost by double digits on the road to N.C. State on January 6. Even the senior-laden 2010 National Title team lost 2 of 4 (and, extending out, 3 of 7) in mid-January upsets. The context: no matter how good, every Duke team seems to get handed a tough upset loss around this time of year. One loss, no matter how bad, doesn't ruin the hopes for the season.

Regarding Tre: First, we all need to take a breath and remember that the initial pain felt during an injury isn't immediately correlated with its severity. A couple games ago (I believe against NC State), UNC's Cam Johnson went down with what looked to be a knee injury, and based off of the anguish on his face I was sure he tore his ACL. Turned out it was just cramps and he was fine for the next game. Second, a shoulder injury is, except in the potential worst-case scenario (which it seems for all intents and purposes we avoided), not as serious for a basketball player as a leg injury. Third, don't forget we had a similar situation with Daniel Jones this football season (with a broken collarbone, arguably a worse injury than any sort of sprain that Tre has) and he returned in a matter of weeks at relatively full strength. The context: We have no idea how serious Tre's injury is... but I would say it is significantly more likely we're looking at a matter of weeks as opposed to a matter of months. While that makes the immediate future (i.e. Virginia) tougher, it doesn't ruin the hopes for the season overall.

Regarding Jack White: Captain Jack is averaging 26 minutes a game this season. He played 42 last night. Last season he averaged FIVE. It's entirely possible, nay probable, and in my mind understandable, that he may be hitting a bit of a wall... which would definitely explain his poor shooting the last two games. The context: Jack White hasn't suddenly become a horrible shooter. He's had two bad games, in the "grindiest" part of the season, when he may be dealing with fatigue. He is still contributing with his effort and leadership (and at least against FSU his defense... that was also obviously an issue last night). A few tough games when you've seen a five-fold increase in your minutes per game is completely understandable.

Regarding seeding: There were a lot of posts last night about how this loss ruined our shot at a No. 1 seed. I've been way too interested in the NET rankings and whatnot this year, as many of you know. Even with a bad loss (if you look at it out of the injury context), this team still has a stellar resume. Our 5 Q1 wins still are tied for the most in the country, and those wins themselves are more impressive than the typical Q1 wins (in the most recent rankings Texas Tech was NET 4, Kentucky 11, Auburn 17, Indiana 21 and FSU 26, although obviously that'll change with the later two losing last night). We still have the opportunity for more quality wins (2 games each against UNC and UVA, at Va Tech, at home vs. NC State, etc.) than arguably any other contender for a No. 1 seed (outside of UVA, obviously). As much love as both Michigan and MSU are getting, I'd be SHOCKED if the B1G gets two No. 1 seeds (especially since I forsee some trouble for MSU very soon). The SEC is only getting one No. 1 seed at most, and it's going to have to be Tennessee at this point. The mid-majors likely aren't getting one this year. Kansas or Texas Tech could get a No. 1 seed but they both still have to face the meat of their Big 12 schedules, and our resumes stack up very well against either team. The context: Duke still should more than control its own destiny for getting a No. 1 seed, and at this point it would take a disaster for us to drop below the 2 line in all likelihood. Personally, I think a Duke team with at least one win against UVA, at least one win against UNC, and no more than 5-6 losses still gets a No. 1 seed despite a bad loss (remember how last year Kansas got a 1 seed based on their overall resume despite some really bad losses).

Let's all breathe, hope for good news regarding Tre, and remember that if anyone can whether this storm it's Coach K.

JasonEvans
01-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Quote for truth...

Duke still should more than control its own destiny for getting a No. 1 seed, and at this point it would take a disaster for us to drop below the 2 line in all likelihood. Personally, I think a Duke team with at least one win against UVA, at least one win against UNC, and no more than 5-6 losses still gets a No. 1 seed despite a bad loss (remember how last year Kansas got a 1 seed based on their overall resume despite some really bad losses).

Duke just lost a game where we were missing 2 future NBA first round draft picks. It matters about this much for seeding...

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-fc9e456f70c7a06e83c0691ae4a99c7d

If the seeding was done today, we would still be on the #1 seed line, I'm certain of it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-15-2019, 12:14 PM
Quote for truth...

Duke just lost a game where we were missing 2 future NBA first round draft picks. It matters about this much for seeding...

If the seeding was done today, we would still be on the #1 seed line, I'm certain of it.

As long as we aren't already a "Lunardi Lock..."

weezie
01-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Preach, Brother!

JayZee
01-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Quote for truth...

I'd take a #2 or #3 seeding right now if we could guarantee a healthy Tre back with a few games under his belt before the NCAA. Some (even great teams) still need to worry about matchups. This team, if healthy, should only worry their opponents.

budwom
01-15-2019, 01:38 PM
The message Tre sent us last night was: look how good we are when I'm playing. He just utterly dominated the game during the few minutes in which he played. One rarely sees a guy dominate so much on the defensive end.

TruBlu
01-15-2019, 03:49 PM
Can you imagine the angst of a #1, #2, or #3 seed if they get placed in a bracket of a healthy Duke team who was seeded lower due to losses suffered due to injuries?

As long as we can get (and stay) healthy, we will be a force to be reckoned with regardless of where we are seeded.

GO DUKE!

scottdude8
01-15-2019, 06:10 PM
FWIW the loss only dropped us two spots to #4 in today’s NET rankings. So the computers don’t see the loss as season-ending either... and if the season ended today we’d sfill likely be a No. 1 seed.

golfinesquire
01-15-2019, 06:15 PM
The issue is not really what happened last night but what happens going forward. If Tre is out for a long time and the losses to the top teams in the league pile up, then we simply are not a #1 seed. Too early to worry about it as we still don't know the extent of Tre's injury but it is certainly something to recognize could well become an issue.

MulletMan
01-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Can you imagine the angst of a #1, #2, or #3 seed if they get placed in a bracket of a healthy Duke team who was seeded lower due to losses suffered due to injuries?

As long as we can get (and stay) healthy, we will be a force to be reckoned with regardless of where we are seeded.

GO DUKE!

QFT.

(And yea... now I'm typing letters to get my post past the filter. Deal with it... I have old man rights.)

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 06:24 PM
The issue is not really what happened last night but what happens going forward. If Tre is out for a long time and the losses to the top teams in the league pile up, then we simply are not a #1 seed. Too early to worry about it as we still don't know the extent of Tre's injury but it is certainly something to recognize could well become an issue.

Seems to me almost everyone is already aware of that.

Rich
01-15-2019, 08:27 PM
This “silver lining” thread is going down hill rapidly

53n206
01-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Quote for truth...

Jason: I love your nails!

JasonEvans
01-16-2019, 10:59 AM

This is not necessarily true.

Let's say a team is steamrolling the competition, the clear best team in the land. Then, it loses a key player to injury, for example it's best defensive player. Suddenly, the team starts giving up a lot more points and subsequently loses 5 out of 8 games. The key player gets healthy again and the team immediately again starts stomping people while showing vastly improved defense.

In a case like that, the NCAA Selection Committee is absolutely going to give that team a #1 seed.

-Jason "I'm not saying this is the case with Duke, but the committee considers injuries when seeding" Evans

CDu
01-16-2019, 11:03 AM
This is not necessarily true.

Let's say a team is steamrolling the competition, the clear best team in the land. Then, it loses a key player to injury, for example it's best defensive player. Suddenly, the team starts giving up a lot more points and subsequently loses 5 out of 8 games. The key player gets healthy again and the team immediately again starts stomping people while showing vastly improved defense.

In a case like that, the NCAA Selection Committee is absolutely going to give that team a #1 seed.

-Jason "I'm not saying this is the case with Duke, but the committee considers injuries when seeding" Evans

Also worth noting that our schedule hits a light stretch after the UVa game. So, hopefully, even if we lose Saturday, we stand a good chance of not losing for a few weeks after that. Hopefully by the time we hit the meat of our schedule, Jones will be back.

Billy Dat
01-16-2019, 11:45 AM
What keeps me optimistic about our chances is that we have a group that seems to be extremely team oriented, not scared, and hungry to compete and win. Aside from open 3s not falling, I came away from the Syracuse game further impressed by their display of all of those characteristics. Of the rotation guys right now, I feel like Zion, RJ, Jack and Bolden are playing at or close to their max potential. If Cam continues his Florida State level, he's right there, too. That leaves Javin, who feels like he has regressed a bit, and AOC, who has to be cut some slack due to his lack of PT - but who needs to do a better job keeping his man in front of him and not being in too much of a hurry on offense. If I have to name a silver lining in this Tre disaster it's that K has another chance to go into the lab and use all his powers to devise a way forward for this damaged machine.