PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Syracuse (Jan 14, 2019)

JBDuke
01-14-2019, 09:25 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in Duke's overtime loss to Syracuse tonight?

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Went with Bolden for playing so well in so many minutes. His rebounding and defense was impressive, and I liked the way he stuck with his own misses. Been enjoying watching his progress this year.

devildeac
01-14-2019, 09:36 PM
mike eades

OldPhiKap
01-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Nice double-double for Marques.

CameronBlue
01-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Went with Bolden for playing so well in so many minutes. His rebounding and defense was impressive, and I liked the way he stuck with his own misses. Been enjoying watching his progress this year.

I like the way he plays defense, moves really well and anticipates well. Doesn't often leave his feet for a fake. Occasionally a little slow to get out the lane in this 4 out 1 in offense which relies on open lanes to the basket but his defense and rebounding prove a big net gain for Duke. I think the most important thing for Bolden has already taken place. He's bought into the game plan and has completely accepted his role with the team.

lotusland
01-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Zion played so hard to win on both ends. 34/10 with 4 blocks. We’d have been blown out without Zion.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2019, 10:14 PM
Zion. Kudos to Marques and Alex. Vibes for Tre.

Rest, recuperate and next play. LGD GTHc!

elvis14
01-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Zion....big gap....other players.

flyingdutchdevil
01-14-2019, 10:33 PM
Zion...big gap...other players.

True, but I think Marques and AOC played amazing compared to their usual production.

Reddevil
01-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Zion. Kudos to Marques and Alex. Vibes for Tre.

Rest, recuperate and next play. LGD GTHc!
Ditto.......BTW, I recently read that you are old if you say ditto. So be it.

elvis14
01-14-2019, 10:40 PM
True, but I think Marques and AOC played amazing compared to their usual production.

Yes, they did. Heck I just wish AOC would have jacked up a few more 3's.

DU82
01-14-2019, 10:45 PM
No mention of RJ, who had to carry much of the point guard role, while coming fairly close to a Triple-double?

flyingdutchdevil
01-14-2019, 10:45 PM

I know. He was open a bunch too. If Tre is really out, I’d love to see AOC play a ton more minutes and focus on being a solid 4th option in Tre’s part time absence.

Despite shooting 35% from deep this year, I think AOC is our best deep shooter. I don’t think 49% last year was a total fluke.

Indoor66
01-14-2019, 10:47 PM
TreyJones was unstoppable up to the injury. He made the team move on the court. He set the table and served the ball where it needed to be. No injury and we win by 20. If we have Cam we win by 15.

elvis14
01-14-2019, 10:54 PM
No mention of RJ, who had to carry much of the point guard role, while coming fairly close to a Triple-double?

RJ took 30 shots and missed 22 including 4 of 17 from 3. So, no, there should be no mention of RJ in this thread. The post game thread is where we talk about RJ. Appreciate his effort but this is a MOTM thread. This is a Zion thread tonight.

jv001
01-14-2019, 10:58 PM
RJ took 30 shots and missed 22 including 4 of 17 from 3. So, no, there should be no mention of RJ in this thread. The post game thread is where we talk about RJ. Appreciate his effort but this is a MOTM thread. This is a Zion thread tonight.

I would say that Zion might have been the star of the show, but Marques was a man tonight. He wanted this game as badly as anyone. He played his heart out. I voted for Marques because of that. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 08:16 AM

Four of his five best moments were stroking treys........

jv001
01-15-2019, 10:08 AM
I sure wish Zion had made that FT with the score tied at 85-85 with a few seconds left, but I really wish that lucky son of a gun from Syracuse had not lucked in that full court heave. GoDuke!

azzefkram
01-15-2019, 10:24 AM
I was torn between Marques and Zion. I went with Marques.

elvis14
01-15-2019, 10:38 AM
I sure wish Zion had made that FT with the score tied at 85-85 with a few seconds left, but I really wish that lucky son of a gun from Syracuse had not lucked in that full court heave. GoDuke!

Agree about that FT. Difference in the game turned out to be the banked in 3 from baby B and the 3/4 shot/throw/crap at the half. Sometimes luck isn't on your side.

jv001
01-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Agree about that FT. Difference in the game turned out to be the banked in 3 from baby B and the 3/4 shot/throw/crap at the half. Sometimes luck isn't on your side.

I told my wife at the time of the full court heave, I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. Plus we didn't get off a shot after Coach K called a timeout to setup a play at the end of the first half(just before said heave). The time clock ran out with us dribbling the ball around. That's when Tre would have made a big difference. I guess it just wasn't meant for Duke to win the game. That Jack White/Cam thread cost us the game. :cool: GoDuke!

killerleft
01-15-2019, 11:06 AM
I really wanted to vote for M Bolden, he had a special game. AOC played well, and must do even better to help us through the rough spot we're going to negotiate. The whole team played hard. But Zion was easily the best player on the floor. He should have shot at least 10 more free throws.:mad:

devildeac
01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
I really wanted to vote for M Bolden, he had a special game. AOC played well, and must do even better to help us through the rough spot we're going to negotiate. The whole team played hard. But Zion was easily the best player on the floor. He should have shot at least 10 more free throws.:mad:

Why only 10?

:mad:

kako
01-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Who voted for Jack White? Syracuse fans???

I like the guy, but he had an awful game... I'm sure he will bounce back, but still - MOTM?

JBDuke
01-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Who voted for Jack White? Syracuse fans???

I like the guy, but he had an awful game... I'm sure he will bounce back, but still - MOTM?

I suspect that these are folks throwing Jack under the bus as the reason for the loss, and thus this is sort of a Bronx cheer rather than a legit vote. Certainly a tough game for Jack, but the loss was a team loss.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-16-2019, 07:59 AM
I suspect that these are folks throwing Jack under the bus as the reason for the loss, and thus this is sort of a Bronx cheer rather than a legit vote. Certainly a tough game for Jack, but the loss was a team loss.

When there was one vote for Jack, I figured it was a typo....someone clicked the wrong box. But with 3 now....you are probably right.

flyingdutchdevil
01-16-2019, 11:12 AM

No one is throwing Jack under the bus. He's been a great player to date. But he had an absolutely lousy offensive game and was beaten off the dribble a lot on D. He was certainly part of the reason Duke lost.

JBDuke
01-16-2019, 11:50 AM
No one is throwing Jack under the bus. He's been a great player to date. But he had an absolutely lousy offensive game and was beaten off the dribble a lot on D. He was certainly part of the reason Duke lost.

If someone uses the MOTM poll to nominate Jack White as the primary reason for the loss when there were many other factors that loomed larger than his performance, I think that's a textbook case of throwing Jack under the bus. Jack's performance was a factor, but clearly the loss of Tre was a larger factor, as was the team-wide decision to keep heaving up 3-pointers when we should have been attacking the basket, as was Syracuse making some ridiculous shots, especially for a team that came into the game shooting under 30% from 3.

We can celebrate an individual for outshining his teammates on a given night, but we lose as a team. We are not Roy Williams' Heels - we do not blame players for a loss.

flyingdutchdevil
01-16-2019, 01:47 PM
If someone uses the MOTM poll to nominate Jack White as the primary reason for the loss when there were many other factors that loomed larger than his performance, I think that's a textbook case of throwing Jack under the bus. Jack's performance was a factor, but clearly the loss of Tre was a larger factor, as was the team-wide decision to keep heaving up 3-pointers when we should have been attacking the basket, as was Syracuse making some ridiculous shots, especially for a team that came into the game shooting under 30% from 3.

We can celebrate an individual for outshining his teammates on a given night, but we lose as a team. We are not Roy Williams' Heels - we do not blame players for a loss.

I think you're reading into Jack White being nominated as a reason for the loss. I don't think it's a Bronx cheer (I had to look up that term) but moreso protecting the player from the angry mob on Monday. I may have even done this once, where I voted for a player who played so poorly during a game but had an amazing run before hand (my guess would be Nolan or Quinn, two of my fav modern Duke players).

If you're right that they are nominating Jack as the main reason for the loss, then I agree: definitely throwing the player under the bus.

kAzE
01-16-2019, 04:47 PM

I had to look away from the TV when he fell down trying cover his man on a dribble move. That was almost as hard to watch as the Tre injury.

-jk
01-16-2019, 06:08 PM
I had to look away from the TV when he fell down trying cover his man on a dribble move. That was almost as hard to watch as the Tre injury.

Yeah, he was gassed...

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
01-16-2019, 07:47 PM

And the kid was having a bad game...in the very game where injuries and illness required 42 minutes out of him, way out of his comfort zone for total minutes. Practice can only get you part of the way being ready to play 40+ minutes....when you average about what, 25?