PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Syracuse (Mon, Jan 14, 7 pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Duke has a quick turnaround from today's emotion win on the road in Tallahassee. The Orange come to Cameron on Monday night at 7 pm on ESPN.

richardjackson199
01-13-2019, 12:15 AM
Duke has a quick turnaround from today's emotion win on the road in Tallahassee. The Orange come to Cameron on Monday night at 7 pm on ESPN.

Yep. Classic Trap game with UVA next and coming off the exhausting, emotional FSU win. Such is life in the ACC. We better be ready because Cuse would love some payback after we bounced them from last year's tourney. And we know how Boeheim can be in Cameron.

gofurman
01-13-2019, 01:18 AM
Keys for Syracuse

Get healthy Zion!

It's in MONDAY. I really don't like how ACC has one day turns... Used to be a Wednesday - Saturday league and sometimes you played Saturday - Tuesday or Sunday - Wednesday. But not a one day turn. That's tough coming off FSU who is soooooo physical. I wish you always got two days between. And two guys played 40 minutes tand day, RJ and Tre ...tough stuff to have one day rest

That zone. Would be nice to have an extra day to prep for the most unique D we face.

At least it's at home.

we do get extra days to prep for UVA who looks awesome.

My worthless thought. Put RJ or Zion in mid of the zone at free throw line ... They can turn and shoot or go to rim. Every D has a weakness. The free throw line and the three point J are what Syracuse allows. RJ is built to beat this.

Way to to go Cam. Keep it up !!!

budwom
01-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Syracuse got pounded at home yesterday by Georgia Tech (14 pt loss)...don't see this as a Boeheim juggernaut. We're at home, I think we'll be ready, assuming Zion is OK.
Could see Barrett setting up around the foul line taking copious shots, or passing inside.

sagegrouse
01-13-2019, 08:23 AM
I listened carefully to K's words on Zion's status. I personally doubt he plays Monday night, but then I am still operating under the shadow of Kyrie's "game-to-game" status eight years ago.

gofurman
01-13-2019, 09:21 AM
I listened carefully to K's words on Zion's status. I personally doubt he plays Monday night, but then I am still operating under the shadow of Kyrie's "game-to-game" status eight years ago.

Please. No jinx

budwom
01-13-2019, 09:32 AM
FWIW, The Wise Man tweeted afterwards that Zion's double vision was gone, for what it's worth. We'll know when we know.
(Further supporting the magnificence of the mute button, I turned on the sound at the beginning of the second half, and the sideline reporter said Zion would play in the second half.)

MChambers
01-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Keys for Syracuse

Get healthy Zion!

It's in MONDAY. I really don't like how ACC has one day turns... Used to be a Wednesday - Saturday league and sometimes you played Saturday - Tuesday or Sunday - Wednesday. But not a one day turn. That's tough coming off FSU who is soooooo physical. I wish you always got two days between. And two guys played 40 minutes tand day, RJ and Tre ...tough stuff to have one day rest

That zone. Would be nice to have an extra day to prep for the most unique D we face.

At least it's at home.

we do get extra days to prep for UVA who looks awesome.

My worthless thought. Put RJ or Zion in mid of the zone at free throw line ... They can turn and shoot or go to rim. Every D has a weakness. The free throw line and the three point J are what Syracuse allows. RJ is built to beat this.

Way to to go Cam. Keep it up !!!

I bet Boeheim wishes he had more time to prepare for Duke, which has a pretty unique team.

TKG
01-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Cam will feast on the Orange zone.

dukelifer
01-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Cam will feast on the Orange zone.

Well lots of reasons to be concerned about this one. First- we don’t know about Zion. His presence is key for the zone. Second- this is a very fast turnaround - Cam was cramping yesterday and is likely sore today- I expect others as well- so rest is key. Third, the Orange zone is not easy to navigate the first time you see it. This is an experienced Orange team. Four - Cam has been inconsistent so expecting back to back great games in uncertain. Five, RJ loves to drive and the Orange will take that away. Finally, foul trouble is possible if Zion does not play. So I am glad this is at home as the crowd will provide energy- but this will be a tough game for at least a half.

TKG
01-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Well lots of reasons to be concerned about this one. First- we don’t know about Zion. His presence is key for the zone. Second- this is a very fast turnaround - Cam was cramping yesterday and is likely sore today- I expect others as well- so rest is key. Third, the Orange zone is not easy to navigate the first time you see it. This is an experienced Orange team. Four - Cam has been inconsistent so expecting back to back great games in uncertain. Five, RJ loves to drive and the Orange will take that away. Finally, foul trouble is possible if Zion does not play. So I am glad this is at home as the crowd will provide energy- but this will be a tough game for at least a half.

Buzz kill! 😆

budwom
01-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Well, fast turnaround for us = face turnaround for Syracuse who got whomped at home by GT.
It also gives us an extra couple days to prepare by UVA. So I think it's a net plus.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
I bet Boeheim wishes he had more time to prepare for Duke, which has a pretty unique team.

Not quite the same situation.....our uniqueness is athleticism you cannot duplicate in practice anyway. Cuse's' uniqueness is more like that of Army or GaT in football.....something totally different than every other opponent.....thus requiring prep.

Syracuse' prep will simply to be a better version of themselves. To attack that zone, Duke is gonna have to be a bit different. ...

MrPoon
01-13-2019, 12:44 PM
The short turnaround could be an issue after such a phisical game (wait, I take that back, how could it be phisical with so few FTs?!). However sometimes a quick turnaround when you are playing well helps keep some rhythm. Who knows?

Can someone remind me (coffee hasn’t kicked in), didn’t Duke play a team or teams earlier this year that played predominantly zone? I know SY is the master of it but I thought there was a team(s) whose HC was in the SY coaching tree.

Zion’s passing from the top of the FT line plus that hop-step layup move he masters would really opens up a zone. I didn’t see the GT game but reads like this year’s version of the zone is breakable with good ball movement. That along with the very poor SY offense, Duke is in good stead. Even without Zion. Without someone going nuts from three, I can’t imagine they are going to score enough.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2019, 12:47 PM
We played three games in three days in Maui, so I’m not terribly worried about the quick turn-around given that Syracuse has the same issue. It also may be a good opportunity for Bolden, AOC and Jack to earn some extra burn.

robed deity
01-13-2019, 12:54 PM
The short turnaround could be an issue after such a phisical game (wait, I take that back, how could it be phisical with so few FTs?!). However sometimes a quick turnaround when you are playing well helps keep some rhythm. Who knows?

Can someone remind me (coffee hasn’t kicked in), didn’t Duke play a team or teams earlier this year that played predominantly zone? I know SY is the master of it but I thought there was a team(s) whose HC was in the SY coaching tree.

Zion’s passing from the top of the FT line plus that hop-step layup move he masters would really opens up a zone. I didn’t see the GT game but reads like this year’s version of the zone is breakable with good ball movement. That along with the very poor SY offense, Duke is in good stead. Even without Zion. Without someone going nuts from three, I can’t imagine they are going to score enough.

Eastern Michigan. Duke destroyed them but at times looked uncomfortable in the half court, albeit after getting a 30 point lead early on.

DavidBenAkiva
01-13-2019, 01:28 PM
It's always tough to play Syracuse, and playing on a short turnaround after an emotional win on Saturday against an experienced team will make this doubly difficult. At any rate, here are a couple of keys for this game:

Generate fast break opportunities. This Syracuse team is middle-of-the-road in turnover percentage on offense and had their sloppiest game of the year against Georgia Tech. Frank Howard, a 6'5" senior, is a combo guard that has been playing as main point guard the past couple of years. The Orange really struggled early in the season when he was injured. He's been ok since he returned. Getting pressure on Howard and the bigs, causing live ball turnovers would go a long way towards easing the pressure of the 2-3 zone.

Keep possessions alive. Typical of Syracuse teams, this one is vulnerable to the offensive rebound. Getting second- and third-chance opportunities can lead to easier baskets. Hopefully Zion is back and healthy after the scary eye injury on Saturday. His offensive rebounding will be key in this matchup.

Find and make open shots. Duke is going to need Cam and R.J. to make open 3's again in this game. Their shooting saved the day against Florida State, so let's hope the home rims will be kind. As well as those two, Jack White and Alex O'Connell could be difference makers.

Get behind the zone. Duke has had some success with burying big men along the baseline. Wendell Carter, Jr. and Marques Bolden both played this role a couple of times to flush easy alley-oops against the zone. When the ball gets to the center of the court, Zion and R.J. should look to the rim to feed Bolden. Considering the personnel of Syracuse, I think this is going to be another game where Bolden plays a big role. He should have favorable matchups against Paschal Chukwu when Duke is on defense and will be able to operate along the baseline on offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see an early sub for Bolden if he doesn't start the game.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Eastern Michigan. Duke destroyed them but at times looked uncomfortable in the half court, albeit after getting a 30 point lead early on.

If I remember correctly, EMU is very tall as well.....though clearly they didn't have the athletes Syracuse does.

budwom
01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
If I remember correctly, EMU is very tall as well....though clearly they didn't have the athletes Syracuse does.

Emus are tall but not very fast, I guess that is true even for the ones in the Eastern parts of Michigan.

niveklaen
01-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Emus are tall but not very fast, I guess that is true even for the ones in the Eastern parts of Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu

31mph - faster than Usain bolt

gofurman
01-13-2019, 05:32 PM

The EMU thing didn’t really help for duke to be ready for Syracuse as it became a rout with turnovers etc. not enough half court vs the zone or they weren’t good enough at it

gofurman
01-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Not quite the same situation....our uniqueness is athleticism you cannot duplicate in practice anyway. Cuse's' uniqueness is more like that of Army or GaT in football....something totally different than every other opponent....thus requiring prep.

Syracuse' prep will simply to be a better version of themselves. To attack that zone, Duke is gonna have to be a bit different. ...

THIS. It’s different. Ours is needing time to prepare for a unique system, Syracuse is just preparing for a more athletic man to man like most teams run

fathippo
01-13-2019, 05:51 PM
I think this is a game where we will need to rely on the bench/role players more. Regardless of Zion's status we will need more than 6 points and better rebounding from this group. None of these guys played more than 25 minutes at FSU.

UrinalCake
01-13-2019, 05:52 PM
And we know how Boeheim can be in Cameron.

It’s going to be pretty warm in the building, he might need to take his jacket off.

duke2x
01-13-2019, 06:24 PM
The illegal* turnaround between games, a physical and emotional FSU game, and possibly Zion's injury make this game defense first. If we can get the TO/fast break machine rolling, we should win this one by double digits. We can't rely on shooting +13% shooting from 3 for the next 2 games.

*ESPN has the gold so it makes the rules. Duke-Syracuse has to be its #2 cash cow behind Duke-UNC.

Tripping William
01-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Duke’s lowest point total this year is 69 (against Texas Tech). Can Cuse score 70?

Kedsy
01-13-2019, 11:33 PM
The EMU thing didn’t really help for duke to be ready for Syracuse as it became a rout with turnovers etc. not enough half court vs the zone or they weren’t good enough at it

Duke scored 34.5% of its points against EMU via the fast break. Against their zone in the half court, our points per possession was a pedestrian 1.0 or so. I suspect the key to success against Syracuse will also be to take advantage of the fast break.

I think this is a game where we will need to rely on the bench/role players more. Regardless of Zion's status we will need more than 6 points and better rebounding from this group. None of these guys played more than 25 minutes at FSU.

Other than Jack White, none of those guys have played more than 25 minutes in any game this season (except Javin who exceeded 25 minutes once, with 27 minutes against Texas Tech). And even Jack White averages almost exactly 25 mpg. I'm not sure what you expected against FSU and (especially if Zion plays) I can't imagine why you think the Syracuse game would require us to rely on our bench and role players more than any other game.

Duke’s lowest point total this year is 69 (against Texas Tech). Can Cuse score 70?

The key is who controls the pace, something Duke has been very good at this season. Below is a table showing all of our opponents (including this coming week's opponents Syracuse and Virginia) and each opponent's adjusted possessions per game (from KenPom, for the season, including their game against Duke, which means their pace against everyone else was even slower), along with the number of possessions in the game against Duke.

As you can see, we've played a lot of slow teams this season (including our next two games, eight of our 17 opponents have been #230 or slower nationally in adjusted tempo; only four of our opponents have been in the top 100, tempo-wise). But, fast or slow, every team we've played has had a faster game against us than their average. And not just a little faster. All but three have been at least five possessions faster. Perhaps not coincidentally, those three games were the only games Duke has played with a single-digit final point margin.

Opponent Opp adj pace Poss Diff Margin
Virginia 60.9 ??? ??? ??
EMU 63.8 72.5 8.7 38
Syracuse 67.1 ??? ??? ??
SD State 67.4 72.5 5.1 26
Hartford 67.6 72.7 5.1 30
Tex Tech 68.0 81.5 13.5 11
Clemson 68.2 77.3 9.1 19
Princeton 68.2 74.9 6.7 51
UK 68.7 82.4 13.7 34
Indiana 68.8 78.8 10.0 21
WF 69.3 74.5 5.2 22
Auburn 69.6 70.7 1.1 6
Stetson 69.9 81.9 12.0 64
FSU 70.9 72.3 1.4 2
Yale 72.0 83.0 11.0 33
Gonzaga 72.0 72.2 0.2 -2
Army 72.4 78.3 5.9 22

This is going to be a big deal against Syracuse and Virginia (the third-slowest and slowest teams Duke will have played this season to date). If Duke wins the battle to control the pace, that gives us a huge advantage and a much better chance to win the game. If we're playing at their slow pace, it means fewer Duke fast break opportunities and more Duke offensive halfcourt sets, something that isn't our biggest strength.

Which I suppose is a long-winded way of saying you're not asking exactly the right question. If Duke controls the tempo and we have, e.g., a 72 to 75 possession game, Syracuse scoring 70 points probably won't cut it. If Syracuse controls the tempo and scores 70+ in a 65 to 67 possession game, it could be a tight one.

gofurman
01-14-2019, 01:40 AM
Duke scored 34.5% of its points against EMU via the fast break. Against their zone in the half court, our points per possession was a pedestrian 1.0 or so. I suspect the key to success against Syracuse will also be to take advantage of the fast break.

Other than Jack White, none of those guys have played more than 25 minutes in any game this season (except Javin who exceeded 25 minutes once, with 27 minutes against Texas Tech). And even Jack White averages almost exactly 25 mpg. I'm not sure what you expected against FSU and (especially if Zion plays) I can't imagine why you think the Syracuse game would require us to rely on our bench and role players more than any other game.

The key is who controls the pace, something Duke has been very good at this season. Below is a table showing all of our opponents (including this coming week's opponents Syracuse and Virginia) and each opponent's adjusted possessions per game (from KenPom, for the season, including their game against Duke, which means their pace against everyone else was even slower), along with the number of possessions in the game against Duke.

As you can see, we've played a lot of slow teams this season (including our next two games, eight of our 17 opponents have been #230 or slower nationally in adjusted tempo; only four of our opponents have been in the top 100, tempo-wise). But, fast or slow, every team we've played has had a faster game against us than their average. And not just a little faster. All but three have been at least five possessions faster. Perhaps not coincidentally, those three games were the only games Duke has played with a single-digit final point margin.

Opponent Opp adj pace Poss Diff Margin
Virginia 60.9 ??? ??? ??
EMU 63.8 72.5 8.7 38
Syracuse 67.1 ??? ??? ??
SD State 67.4 72.5 5.1 26
Hartford 67.6 72.7 5.1 30
Tex Tech 68.0 81.5 13.5 11
Clemson 68.2 77.3 9.1 19
Princeton 68.2 74.9 6.7 51
UK 68.7 82.4 13.7 34
Indiana 68.8 78.8 10.0 21
WF 69.3 74.5 5.2 22
Auburn 69.6 70.7 1.1 6
Stetson 69.9 81.9 12.0 64
FSU 70.9 72.3 1.4 2
Yale 72.0 83.0 11.0 33
Gonzaga 72.0 72.2 0.2 -2
Army 72.4 78.3 5.9 22

This is going to be a big deal against Syracuse and Virginia (the third-slowest and slowest teams Duke will have played this season to date). If Duke wins the battle to control the pace, that gives us a huge advantage and a much better chance to win the game. If we're playing at their slow pace, it means fewer Duke fast break opportunities and more Duke offensive halfcourt sets, something that isn't our biggest strength.

Which I suppose is a long-winded way of saying you're not asking exactly the right question. If Duke controls the tempo and we have, e.g., a 72 to 75 possession game, Syracuse scoring 70 points probably won't cut it. If Syracuse controls the tempo and scores 70+ in a 65 to 67 possession game, it could be a tight one.

Kedsy, Great point! This is a phenomenal correlation. The ONLY 3 teams to scare Duke are the very same three teams Duke could not speed up. FSU. Auburn. And the loss to Gonzaga. It matches exactly to which teams Duke was able to dictate pace via turnovers. Exactly.

Thanks

lotusland
01-14-2019, 06:17 AM
Tre played 40 minutes Saturday so I predict JGold subs in at the 8:30 point in the first half and plays roughly 1minute while Tre gets a breather. RJ has to be the man in the middle against the zone. He’s the only guy who can drive or shoot the 15 footer. With Zion you know he’s going to drive. I’d drop the ball in to RJ with Cam/Jack and Tre on the wing, Bolden /Javin on the baseline and Zion trailing toward the opposite baseline for a lob. RJ has to make the right pass if he’s doubled.

Troublemaker
01-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Well, fast turnaround for us = face turnaround for Syracuse who got whomped at home by GT.
It also gives us an extra couple days to prepare by UVA. So I think it's a net plus.

No way. I would much rather play Cuse on Tuesday (tomorrow) than today. I'll give back a day of prep for UVA to give Zion another day to heal, to give our entire team more ice baths or what-have-you after a physical game against FSU, and most importantly, to give our coaches another day to prep the freshmen on the Syracuse zone.

Why needlessly risk the Cuse game to get more prep time for UVA? Both games count the same. Also, I'm 90% sure (and 100% sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that since Syracuse joined the ACC, they have a better record against Duke than UVA. I can remember two losses in the Carrier Dome and one loss in Cameron (more on that in a second). For UVA, I can only remember the loss in the ACC Championship game and last year's loss in Cameron.

You may think because UVA has all these regular season titles that they must've beaten Duke a lot. But nope. We have a really nice record against them, and our head-to-head against UVA has never cost us a regular season title. It's really the non-UVA games (like playing Syracuse at home) that we should win but end up losing that cost us regular season titles.

As promised up-post, let's talk about that loss to Syracuse in Cameron. It was the only other time that we've played Syracuse on a Monday after a game on Saturday. Here's the box score (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839200). Duke was horrible offensively that game, and Duke fans complained about how Duke didn't seemingly have a plan to attack the zone except for chucking up threes. Well, we probably could've used more than one day of preparation for that unique, aggressive zone. (The one thing about chucking up threes is that you at least avoid turnovers.) Even the zones that our freshmen saw in high school won't prepare them for Cuse's zone. It's almost anti-knowledge to have because Cuse's zone is so much more aggressive going after turnovers and they bring those wings up so high.

To exacerbate things further, this Duke team has probably practiced zone less than any recent Duke team since we're so good in m2m. We're also coming off an emotional buzzer-beater win against FSU (do you think our guys slept well Saturday night, or were they reliving that awesome win in their minds?) in a game that was very physical. This is just a horrible spot in our schedule. I'm not really complaining -- every team has good spots and bad spots in their schedule. I'm just saying that we should recognize this for what it is.

I'm completely serious here. If we escape tonight with even a 1-pt win to get to 4-0 in the ACC, I'll be thrilled.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:50 AM
No way. I would much rather play Cuse on Tuesday (tomorrow) than today. I'll give back a day of prep for UVA to give Zion another day to heal, to give our entire team more ice baths or what-have-you after a physical game against FSU, and most importantly, to give our coaches another day to prep the freshmen on the Syracuse zone.

Why needlessly risk the Cuse game to get more prep time for UVA? Both games count the same. Also, I'm 90% sure (and 100% sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that since Syracuse joined the ACC, they have a better record against Duke than UVA. I can remember two losses in the Carrier Dome and one loss in Cameron (more on that in a second). For UVA, I can only remember the loss in the ACC Championship game and last year's loss in Cameron.

You may think because UVA has all these regular season titles that they must've beaten Duke a lot. But nope. We have a really nice record against them, and our head-to-head against UVA has never cost us a regular season title. It's really the non-UVA games (like playing Syracuse at home) that we should win but end up losing that cost us regular season titles.

As promised up-post, let's talk about that loss to Syracuse in Cameron. It was the only other time that we've played Syracuse on a Monday after a game on Saturday. Here's the box score (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400839200). Duke was horrible offensively that game, and Duke fans complained about how Duke didn't seemingly have a plan to attack the zone except for chucking up threes. Well, we probably could've used more than one day of preparation for that unique, aggressive zone. (The one thing about chucking up threes is that you at least avoid turnovers.) Even the zones that our freshmen saw in high school won't prepare them for Cuse's zone. It's almost anti-knowledge to have because Cuse's zone is so much more aggressive going after turnovers and they bring those wings up so high.

To exacerbate things further, this Duke team has probably practiced zone less than any recent Duke team since we're so good in m2m. We're also coming off an emotional buzzer-beater win against FSU (do you think our guys slept well Saturday night, or were they reliving that awesome win in their minds?) in a game that was very physical. This is just a horrible spot in our schedule. I'm not really complaining -- every team has good spots and bad spots in their schedule. I'm just saying that we should recognize this for what it is.

I'm completely serious here. If we escape tonight with even a 1-pt win to get to 4-0 in the ACC, I'll be thrilled.

For what it's worth, Vegas has Duke -17 in most spots I'm seeing right now. (I think this means Vegas thinks Zion is playing). Although, Duke was a 7.5 point favorite Saturday at FSU and won by 2. With a healthy Zion tonight, I could see Duke covering the spread and winning something like 82-64.

Let's Go Duke!

Pghdukie
01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Duke now -17.5 on Vegas Insider. Which to me points to Zion cleared to play. I hope !

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Duke now -17.5 on Vegas Insider. Which to me points to Zion cleared to play. I hope !

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Vegas knows!

budwom
01-14-2019, 09:05 AM
The Syracuse and UVA games may both "count the same," but I don't see how anyone can argue that Syracuse merits as much concern as UVA. Yeah, we may be a bit mentally tired, but Syracuse also played Saturday, plus they
have to play on the road.

Billy Dat
01-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Tre played 40 minutes Saturday so I predict JGold subs in at the 8:30 point in the first half and plays roughly 1minute while Tre gets a breather. RJ has to be the man in the middle against the zone. He’s the only guy who can drive or shoot the 15 footer. With Zion you know he’s going to drive. I’d drop the ball in to RJ with Cam/Jack and Tre on the wing, Bolden /Javin on the baseline and Zion trailing toward the opposite baseline for a lob. RJ has to make the right pass if he’s doubled.

The only quibble I have about your Tre comment is that I think JGold will sub in for zero minutes.

As for the RJ comment, I actually am hoping Zion actually plays and that he is the man in the middle on offense because he's got the size to make a big target to receive the ball, I like his ability to get to the rim from that spot with his elusive body control, and I like him passing out of that spot. Of course, if it's RJ, I am sure he'll do a fine job, too.

More than anything, this is a bit of a "let's see if you guys are made of stern stuff" challenge. So far, what seems to mark this team as "special", aside from its Rolls Royce talent, is its grit, toughness and bravery. They seem immune to "trap games", and this game would seem to offer the perfect excuse to lose for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. If they can go out and play hard, smart and focused...they should win, and they'll earn more "special" points.

Tripping William
01-14-2019, 09:35 AM

I think this is the first time I have been Kedsied. :o

I hear you, and generally agree. Was more just thumbnail sketching out loud, because I personally don't see Duke scoring fewer than 70 points in this one.

BeachBlueDevil
01-14-2019, 09:36 AM
I've seen one Syracuse game this season, it was when Old Dominion went to the Carrier Dome in December to play. They really stifled ODU in the first half with zone. However in the second half ODU came out and erased a double digit deficit and ended up winning the game. Big win for mid-major ODU at the time as Syracuse was ranked either 24 or 25..

Now based on seeing that one game, Duke should easily handle Syracuse. The game is in Cameron and Duke has players that are way more superior to the ones ODU trotted out there. Even if Zion doesn't play, Cam and RJ should be able to camp out at the foul line in the middle of that zone and make them pay on the way to a 15 pt victory tonight.

Maybe this could be a trap game..... But I just don't see it.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-14-2019, 09:37 AM

Line opened at 16.5 on the Contest Site.....

Matches
01-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Syracuse has the same short turnaround we do and they have to travel from NY. Their game on Saturday I guess was not as physical as ours, but our biggest bruiser "rested" for half of that game. Physically we should be fine - from an emotional standpoint we'll have to move on from the FSU ending but that would be true whenever we played next.

It definitely is a trap game but unless we lay an egg we should win relatively comfortably.

jv001
01-14-2019, 09:56 AM
I'm really hoping that Zion plays in this game. I don't want to see him miss a game and half before playing Virginia. That's too long for the rust to wear off and I don't want to see us get in a big hole and have to dig out of it. Especially against the Cavaliers. But first let's beat the Syracuse Orange. GoDuke!

CrazyNotCrazie
01-14-2019, 09:56 AM

I read somewhere (don't recall where) that Duke said that if there is no formal announcement, Zion is playing. Obviously, that formal announcement could happen at 6:59 pm after he warms up and doesn't feel good, but in general, I am assuming that no news is good news.

I am also nervous about minimal time to prepare for Syracuse's unique defense, particularly with Zion at least somewhat focused on healing (pardon my pun). But the combination of having a number of guys who can hit the mid-range jumper from the foul line that often helps in breaking the zone, combined with Tre being a remarkably smart point guard, I am hoping for the best. All things being equal, having the game Tuesday would have made life a lot easier, but that's life. I'm sure one of the assistants spent plenty of time scouting this one and it is just a matter of providing the information to the team and implementing the plan.

SavDukeGrad
01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
A couple of thoughts. A poster up thread mentioned that Tre played 40 minutes on Saturday. RJ also played 40 minutes. It was such a physical game - I hope those guys have had time to recover.

And I think Zion will play. While I’m not an ophthalmologist, I did have a corneal abrasion a few years ago. I was amazed how fast it healed. I know it all depends on the severity of the injury, and mine was not severe, but I was fine after 24 hours with a bandage contact. FWIW

CDu
01-14-2019, 11:51 AM
So, I think most are familiar with what Syracuse wants to do. They play the 2-3 zone as well as just about anyone besides last year's Duke team. They are long, athletic, and really aggressive in the zone. Offensively, they aren't as skilled, as Boeheim has generally preferred to take guys who fit his defensive philosophy over offensive players. Not that they don't have weapons, just that it's a defense-first philosophy there.

The Orange play a very slow tempo (#277 nationally in pace). Defensively, there are really only two things that they don't do at an elite level (rebound and foul). They force a lot of turnovers, block a lot of shots, and force a lot of difficult/contested shots. Teams shoot poorly from 3, poorly from 2, and (perhaps coincidentally) poorly from the FT line as well. They are a terrific defensive team. Offensively, they are kind of the inverse: the only things they do well are offensive rebound and draw fouls. They are an especially poor 3pt shooting team. When they play well, it's a pretty ugly game.

Centers: Paschal Chukwu (7'2", 228lb fifth-year senior) is the team's first option at center, although the Orange have recently gone small to start games. Chukwu is a strong offensive rebounder and shotblocker as you might expect from his size. He's a decent defensive rebounder as well, and even picks up some steals. He's fairly raw offensively, though he isn't awful from the line. He draws a lot of fouls around the rim, primarily off of lobs and offensive rebounds. He's definitely a secondary offensive player, not unlike Christ Koumadje from FSU. But like Koumadje, if you lose track of him, he will dunk on you. Also like Koumadje, Chukwu is pretty foul prone, averaging 3.1 fouls per 18 mpg. Behind Chukwu is Bourama Sidibe (6'10", 205lb sophomore). Sidibe is basically a lesser version of Chukwu across the board. As noted, the team has started the last 3 games going small. This is perhaps in part because their two bigs average 5.6 fouls in just under 30 mpg combined. But the duo does provide 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in that time, which is pretty impressive given the pace Syracuse plays.

Forwards: The forwards and wings have almost always been a strength of Syracuse teams. This is no exception. Oshae Brissett (6'8", 210lb sophomore from Canada) is the headliner. Brissett is a very strong rebounder but a streaky offensive player. He is capable of having a big night, but also capable of a real stinker. So far this season, it has been more of the latter than the former as he's shot poorly from both 3pt range and 2pt range. Still, given Syracuse's limitations offensively as a team, he'll get plenty of looks. Terrific athlete and certainly not lacking for confidence. Though if Williamson plays, we'll have the athletes to hopefully control him. Alongside Brissett as a co-headliner is (and sometimes a starter in a 3-forward lineup) is Elijah Hughes (6'6", 215lb junior transfer from ECU). Hughes has really stepped up in his first season playing with the Orange. He's a much-improved outside shooter and a terrific athlete. He is fairly raw though from a skills perspective, and doesn't necessarily get quite as much out of his physical tools as he should. He's a former football player, so he's extremely strong to go along with good quickness and hops. The third man in the forward rotation (and recently reinserted into the starting lineup) Marek Dolezaj (6'10", 180lb sophomore from Slovakia). Dolezaj is still a work in progress, but provides great length for them along the baseline. He's super skinny, and isn't a great rebounder or shotblocker. But he does get a fair amount of steals, and has pretty good shooting range. He's mostly a catch-and-shoot guy at this stage.

Wings: Tyus Battle (6'6", 205lb junior) is the team's biggest star. He's a super athlete with pretty good ballhandling skills and is not at all shy about taking the big shots. Battle has gotten a bit more efficient even as his 3pt shooting has continued to regress. He's learned to take it to the basket more and settle for 3s less often. That said, despite being a low-percentage shooter, he is a bit like RJ Barrett in that he can get hot and explode for big games from 3. He's the most dangerous player on the Orange, and will likely be playing in the NBA next year. Jalen Carey (6'3", 170lb freshman) is a backup combo guard for the Orange. He's an upper-tier recruit with terrific ballhandling skills and athleticism, but a very poor jumpshot. Carey can get to the rim and finish there though, but he's a liability from 3. Carey will share ballhandling duties with Battle when the Orange's PG is off the floor. Last and least is Buddy Boeheim (6'5", 190lb freshman). Boeheim is a decent outside shooter if left open. But he mainly plays a a depth fill-in for the Orange and really isn't ready to compete at the ACC level. And yes, he's the coach's son.

Guards: Frank Howard (6'5", 205lb senior) is the PG. Howard is a big strong kid and a decent passer at PG. But he's always struggled to shoot well. Last year he took a ton of shots mainly because the team couldn't shoot, and averaged over 14ppg as a result. But he's struggled this year, shooting just 26% from 3 and taking most of his shots from deep as well. As you might expect from his shooting profile, he also doesn't draw fouls, as in the halfcourt he mainly defers to Battle, Brissett, and Carey. His most value is on the defensive end, where his length is a challenge.

Basically, aside from Carey, everyone on the Orange is 6'5" or taller and with long arms. It's a team ideally suited to play zone, and they play it well. I really hope Williamson is able to play, because his ability to catch at the FT line and attack quickly from there will likely give Syracuse some fits. But it is likely going to be a frustrating game offensively. The plus side is that hopefully it will be a frustrating game for them offensively as well, and we can emerge with a victory. But playing against the zone with no prep time is not an optimal situation at all.

fuse
01-14-2019, 11:56 AM
I hope I am wrong, 17 sounds way high.

I’d be happy with any W, and expecting maybe a 5 point margin.

Troublemaker
01-14-2019, 12:21 PM
For what it's worth, Vegas has Duke -17 in most spots I'm seeing right now. (I think this means Vegas thinks Zion is playing). Although, Duke was a 7.5 point favorite Saturday at FSU and won by 2. With a healthy Zion tonight, I could see Duke covering the spread and winning something like 82-64.
Let's Go Duke!

As the winner of back (https://contests.covers.com/OfficePools/2957c4c7-8b50-49fc-87e5-a8a100c55ac5) to back (https://contests.covers.com/OfficePools/91bd9e6d-73e5-4aae-ac40-a98f00deda09) Majors on the Degenerates Tour, I would advise against that prediction.

I do think Duke will ultimately eke out a win, but I'd (obviously) be surprised if we covered. I would also not take any comfort in the point spread. When we previously lost to Syracuse in Cameron in the same situation, we were 11.5-pt favorites (https://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncb/results/2015-2016/boxscore905635.html).

The Syracuse and UVA games may both "count the same," but I don't see how anyone can argue that Syracuse merits as much concern as UVA. Yeah, we may be a bit mentally tired, but Syracuse also played Saturday, plus they
have to play on the road.

There are some people on here (not me) who believe that what we post on DBR affects game outcomes. Again, I am not one of those folks, but it is interesting to note that according to their religion, you basically just doomed Duke tonight. You had a chance to repent for looking ahead to UVA, but instead you double-downed. Were I one of those religious fanatics, I would totally blame you for a loss tonight.

Yuck. I hope we pass up on shooting 15-footers tonight. That's what Syracuse wants (as opposed to Zion and RJ attacking off the dribble after catching at the FT line). Even if RJ is good at shooting the 15-footer (which I'm not sure he is), what do you think his percentage would be? 45%? Which produces an offensive efficiency of 90. Yuck. Incidentally, according to hoop-math, RJ is so far at 35.6% on 2-pt jumpers this season: https://hoop-math.com/Duke2019.php

budwom
01-14-2019, 12:37 PM
I'm happy to take the blame for the loss should there be one.
I definitely take no team for granted, clearly we could lose....it's just that an emotional, physical contest at FSU has seeming become (for some) tantamount to landing on Iwo Jima.

Should we aspire to advancing in March (and beyond), two day turnarounds against tough teams will be required. Tonight seems like an opportunity to experience that.
(I've heard Coach K state that "young kids don't get tired." I don't really believe that, I doubt he does either, but the point is you regroup and play again.)

In short, I'd rather play Syracuse on two days rest than UVA.

jipops
01-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Basically, aside from Carey, everyone on the Orange is 6'5" or taller and with long arms. It's a team ideally suited to play zone, and they play it well. I really hope Williamson is able to play, because his ability to catch at the FT line and attack quickly from there will likely give Syracuse some fits. But it is likely going to be a frustrating game offensively. The plus side is that hopefully it will be a frustrating game for them offensively as well, and we can emerge with a victory. But playing against the zone with no prep time is not an optimal situation at all.

I also believe this will be a very ugly game to watch. Combine a zone from a desperate team with mental fatigue coming out of a hard fought win on the road just 2 days before... this one could very easily be an upset. I'm just as concerned about our defense tonight. I know Syracuse has struggled on offense, but if there is a game to get it going for them this is the one. And we've been giving up a lot of offensive boards in the last couple games.

COYS
01-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Yuck. I hope we pass up on shooting 15-footers tonight. That's what Syracuse wants (as opposed to Zion and RJ attacking off the dribble after catching at the FT line). Even if RJ is good at shooting the 15-footer (which I'm not sure he is), what do you think his percentage would be? 45%? Which produces an offensive efficiency of 90. Yuck. Incidentally, according to hoop-math, RJ is so far at 35.6% on 2-pt jumpers this season: https://hoop-math.com/Duke2019.php

I agree with this. If Syracuse plays the zone correctly, it will bait us into taking those mid-range twos. If indeed RJ is the man in the middle of the zone for Duke, I hope he attacks from the key, draws a defender or two (or three), and dishes to Zion, Marques, or Javin, who are lurking on the baseline, ready to throw down some powerful dunks.

Even though we are not a consistent team from three point range, I think we are built to beat the 'Cuse zone. We have players who can attack the zone and draw defenders, and we have players who can finish at the rim. We just need to make smart decisions against a unique defense, which will be the biggest challenge.

I'm actually hopeful that we can find a way to free up Tre to get into the paint off the dribble with some clever screens on the perimeter. I trust Tre's decision-making and I like the idea of overloading the zone with Tre in the paint, Zion on the baseline on the strong side, Cam/RJ in the corner and RJ/Cam popping to the wing. Tre can either take it himself, hit Cam in the corner, dish to RJ, lob to Zion or lob to Javin/Marques on the weakside if the defenders overplay too much.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-14-2019, 01:02 PM
I also believe this will be a very ugly game to watch. Combine a zone from a desperate team with mental fatigue coming out of a hard fought win on the road just 2 days before... this one could very easily be an upset. I'm just as concerned about our defense tonight. I know Syracuse has struggled on offense, but if there is a game to get it going for them this is the one. And we've been giving up a lot of offensive boards in the last couple games.

Not totally different than last season NCAAT game V Cuse......ugly, uncomfortable, the mental situation of having to beat a team you've already beaten to stay alive....

Truth&Justise
01-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Not totally different than last season NCAAT game V Cuse...ugly, uncomfortable, the mental situation of having to beat a team you've already beaten to stay alive...

For what it's worth, the regular season matchup against Syracuse was even uglier.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
For what it's worth, the regular season matchup against Syracuse was even uglier.

Yes indeed.....that was the ugliest game of the year, but it wasn't very close, and it wasn't "win or go home" pressure. That NCAAT pressure uglifies everything...

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 01:42 PM

If Zion doesn't play, it's a must that DeLaurier, Bolden, and White step up.....they looked weak as fill-ins when Zion went out against FSU. Perhaps time to insert David's kid in place of DeLaurier???

Kedsy
01-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Perhaps time to insert David's kid in place of DeLaurier???

Seriously?

HereBeforeCoachK
01-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Seriously?

I'm not suggesting by any means what the other poster is saying....to start Rob in front of Javin. What I would like to know is what are his weaknesses? He's very tall. He can jump. He can hit a 3. Clearly there's a reason he doesn't play much....but that reason isn't as obvious to me as it is with others who don't play much. I'm merely asking to be educated here.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Combine a zone from a desperate team with mental fatigue coming out of a hard fought win on the road just 2 days before...
The team won't be mentally fatigued after winning the game. Had we lost, maybe, but we won. They're still excited and happy, and that's the antidote for mental fatigue! :cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

If any coach knows how to coach a team against the Syracuse zone, it's K. After all, JimBo taught it to K! That's what friends are for...

AZLA
01-14-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm happy to take the blame for the loss should there be one.
I definitely take no team for granted, clearly we could lose...it's just that an emotional, physical contest at FSU has seeming become (for some) tantamount to landing on Iwo Jima.

Should we aspire to advancing in March (and beyond), two day turnarounds against tough teams will be required. Tonight seems like an opportunity to experience that.
(I've heard Coach K state that "young kids don't get tired." I don't really believe that, I doubt he does either, but the point is you regroup and play again.)

In short, I'd rather play Syracuse on two days rest than UVA.

I take the blame for the Gonzaga loss. Our section was yelling so incredibility loud at the refs and cheering so hard for Duke to complete the comeback that during the last commercial time out -- we shouted down the PA screaming "Let's go Duke!" -- that they couldn't do the little fun time shootout game. I'm pretty sure that's why the refs swallowed their whistle the rest of the game ;). Our bad, sorry.

Kedsy
01-14-2019, 02:16 PM
I'm not suggesting by any means what the other poster is saying...to start Rob in front of Javin. What I would like to know is what are his weaknesses? He's very tall. He can jump. He can hit a 3. Clearly there's a reason he doesn't play much...but that reason isn't as obvious to me as it is with others who don't play much. I'm merely asking to be educated here.

I often think Justin could be a starter on some of the low-major teams we play in November/December, maybe even a star -- a 6'9" guy who can dunk, block shots, and hit the three.

But at the ACC level, he's not capable of hunting his own offense, doesn't shoot well enough to be a three-point specialist, and most importantly is neither big, strong, or athletic enough to effectively guard high-major interior players nor quick enough to effectively guard high-major perimeter players. Put another way, the occasional offense he brings is not nearly enough to overcome his defensive deficiencies at this level.

AZLA
01-14-2019, 02:17 PM
If Zion doesn't play, it's a must that DeLaurier, Bolden, and White step up....they looked weak as fill-ins when Zion went out against FSU. Perhaps time to insert David's kid in place of DeLaurier???

I think Zion, if he plays, should take it easy. I wouldn't be surprised if his mins limited. Maybe Alex and Jack a few more minutes, shooting more from outside, along with Tre, RJ and Cam. DeLaurier and Bolden need to get more physical inside on the boards.

Matches
01-14-2019, 02:20 PM
I think Zion, if he plays, should take it easy. I wouldn't be surprised if his mins limited.

Why would he need to take it easy after an eye injury? If he can't see, he shouldn't play at all. If he can see, why would we need to limit his minutes?

Kedsy
01-14-2019, 02:21 PM
I think Zion, if he plays, should take it easy. I wouldn't be surprised if his mins limited.

Why? Either he's still in pain or still seeing double, in which case he shouldn't play at all. Or he's fine except for a bloodshot eye. It's not like playing can exacerbate the injury (unless he gets poked in the eye again; and if he's worried about that, I'm sure the training staff can find some goggles for him).

EDIT: Matches beat me to it.

lotusland
01-14-2019, 02:22 PM
The only quibble I have about your Tre comment is that I think JGold will sub in for zero minutes.

As for the RJ comment, I actually am hoping Zion actually plays and that he is the man in the middle on offense because he's got the size to make a big target to receive the ball, I like his ability to get to the rim from that spot with his elusive body control, and I like him passing out of that spot. Of course, if it's RJ, I am sure he'll do a fine job, too.

More than anything, this is a bit of a "let's see if you guys are made of stern stuff" challenge. So far, what seems to mark this team as "special", aside from its Rolls Royce talent, is its grit, toughness and bravery. They seem immune to "trap games", and this game would seem to offer the perfect excuse to lose for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. If they can go out and play hard, smart and focused...they should win, and they'll earn more "special" points.

maybe not but JGold subbed in for a minute around the 7.30 mark against Clemson and Wake so I just guessed that pattern would resume against Syracuse. No need for Tre to play 40 minutes tonight. I’m sure Zion can do some damage in the middle even being somewhat predictable. If I were Jimmy B. I would play him to go right and have a help defender slide in for a charge when he makes his blind spin back to his left. I know we joke about taking a Zion charge being a suicide mission but Z has actually been susceptible to charge calls. Early fouls are the best defense against Zion.

lotusland
01-14-2019, 02:32 PM

That’s why the free throw line is the hole in the zone. They’re going to play RJ to drive. He may need to make a couple or three to loosen up the zone.

Natty_B
01-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Latest on Zion:

Stephen Wiseman @stevewisemanNC

Nothing beyond latest update that his vision had cleared and it looked like he'll play tonight. Won't know for sure until he's out taking warmups and his vision is good. Can't take any chances with eyes.

Truth&Justise
01-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Latest on Zion:

Nothing beyond latest update that his vision had cleared and it looked like he'll play tonight. Won't know for sure until he's out taking warmups and his vision is good. Can't take any chances with eyes.

Good, best to make decisions with his long-term health in mind. I hope he can play tonight, but only if he's fully healthy to do so.

budwom
01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
sure sure hope hope he he can can play play.

uh_no
01-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Good, best to make decisions with his long-term health in mind. I hope he can play tonight, but only if he's fully healthy to do so.

What would scare me most is Zion wanting to get back on the floor more than his health might allow. He's such a great teammate that I can imagine him compromising his own future to get back out there for his brothers.

Not that that's reality or anything...but hope he's healthy and playing tonight!

CDu
01-14-2019, 04:09 PM
I'm not suggesting by any means what the other poster is saying...to start Rob in front of Javin. What I would like to know is what are his weaknesses? He's very tall. He can jump. He can hit a 3. Clearly there's a reason he doesn't play much...but that reason isn't as obvious to me as it is with others who don't play much. I'm merely asking to be educated here.

Several reasons:

1. He isn't mobile/agile enough
2. He isn't nearly strong enough
3. He isn't skilled enough

If he was deficient in any one (maybe even two) of these areas, he might be okay.

The guy has essentially only played in garbage time against other walk-ons, and usually those minutes have come against against vastly overmatched foes. The rare times in which he gets more than a couple of token minutes at the end of games is against a team so woefully overmatched that the game has long been decided (like Stetson, or last year against St. Francis or Evansville).

If he was playing against regular ACC foes, he'd be way overmatched. He can hit set shots if left wide open and if given a running start without any physical interference, he can throw down dunks. But if he were matching up against regulars, the skill and physicality would be too much for him.

sagegrouse
01-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Latest on Zion:

Or, this story (not Steve's) could be just disinformation in order to flummox Boeheim. [SLAP] Ow, that hurt. I need to control my suspicious mind.

camion
01-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Or, this story (not Steve's) could be just disinformation in order to flummox Boeheim. [SLAP] Ow, that hurt. I need to control my suspicious mind.

I'm hoping for something like one of the miraculous UNC recoveries we've seen on occasion. ;)

OldPhiKap
01-14-2019, 05:08 PM

We can't go on together
with suspicious minds
and we can't build our dreams
on suspicious minds

Troublemaker
01-14-2019, 05:19 PM
I agree with this. If Syracuse plays the zone correctly, it will bait us into taking those mid-range twos. If indeed RJ is the man in the middle of the zone for Duke, I hope he attacks from the key, draws a defender or two (or three), and dishes to Zion, Marques, or Javin, who are lurking on the baseline, ready to throw down some powerful dunks.

Even though we are not a consistent team from three point range, I think we are built to beat the 'Cuse zone. We have players who can attack the zone and draw defenders, and we have players who can finish at the rim. We just need to make smart decisions against a unique defense, which will be the biggest challenge.

I'm actually hopeful that we can find a way to free up Tre to get into the paint off the dribble with some clever screens on the perimeter. I trust Tre's decision-making and I like the idea of overloading the zone with Tre in the paint, Zion on the baseline on the strong side, Cam/RJ in the corner and RJ/Cam popping to the wing. Tre can either take it himself, hit Cam in the corner, dish to RJ, lob to Zion or lob to Javin/Marques on the weakside if the defenders overplay too much.

I agree. Under normal circumstances, I actually like the way we match up with Cuse a lot. We have high-IQ guys who can really pass, we have lob threats, we have O-boarders, and we have Zion and RJ to attack from the FT line. I just don't know how much the coaches will be able to implement by game time. (Consider also that we might've wanted to spend precious practice time since FSU shoring up pick-n-roll D.) I suppose we'll find out in a couple of hours.

Billy Dat
01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
We can't go on together
with suspicious minds
and we can't build our dreams
on suspicious minds

Feeling down 'n' dirty, feeling kinda mean
I've been from one to another extreme
This time I had a good time, ain't got time to wait
I wanna stick around till I can't see straight

Fill my eyes with that double vision
No disguise for that double vision
Ooh, when it gets through to me, it's always new to me
My double vision gets the best of me

Never do more than I, I really need
My mind is racing, but my body's in the lead
Tonight's the night, I'm gonna push it to the limit
I live all of my years in a single minute

My double vision always seems to get the best of me, the best of me, yeah-ah
Ooh, double vision, I need my double vision
Ooh, It takes me out of my head, takin' me out of my head
Ooh, I get my double vision
Ooh, seeing double double, double vision
Ooh, oh my double vision
Ooh, double vision
Yeah-ah, I get double vision, ooh . .

devildeac
01-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Feeling down 'n' dirty, feeling kinda mean
I've been from one to another extreme
This time I had a good time, ain't got time to wait
I wanna stick around till I can't see straight

My double vision gets the best of me

Never do more than I, I really need
My mind is racing, but my body's in the lead
Tonight's the night, I'm gonna push it to the limit
I live all of my years in a single minute

My double vision always seems to get the best of me, the best of me, yeah-ah
Ooh, double vision, I need my double vision
Ooh, It takes me out of my head, takin' me out of my head
Ooh, I get my double vision
Ooh, seeing double double, double vision
Ooh, oh my double vision
Ooh, double vision
Yeah-ah, I get double vision, ooh . .

Ha-rumph:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42978-Official-Zeyeon-vigil/page3

For accompanying video, please see post #42.

(Sorry, grumpy day at work:o.)

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Cam Reddish was the only Blue Devil not to join the team in warm-ups tonight. The forward did not leave the locker room.

He's on the court now. All appears ok. False alarm.

Truth&Justise
01-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Latest from Twitter:

Stephen Wiseman @stevewisemanNC (https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/1084950361415270401)

Zion Williamson getting shots up. Going through normal pre-game routine. Just drilled 3-pointer. Vision appears to be good for a return vs. Syracuse tonight

Durham Blue Devil
01-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Cam is out - under the weather apparently.

arnie
01-14-2019, 06:52 PM

So Jack White starts in place of Cam😏

jakeha
01-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Latest from Twitter:

On SportsCenter, they previewed the game and showed Zion and said he'd play. BUT Reddish is OUT sick. Not suited up. Ouch.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 06:53 PM
A last minute change to the Duke starting lineup. Jack White will replace Cam Reddish, who is sick.

Bike4Fun
01-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Isolation time?—no flu, please!!!!

timmy c
01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
A last minute change to the Duke starting lineup. Jack White will replace Cam Reddish, who is sick.

We now have the answer to the previous jack/cam thread!

niveklaen
01-14-2019, 06:56 PM
someone locked the thread too soon ;)

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Glad I picked the under- not good😡

slower
01-14-2019, 07:06 PM
someone locked the thread too soon ;)

Irony rears its ugly head.

Okay, I see upthread that Cam is sick.

slower
01-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Uh oh. The ONE guy we really can't afford to lose.

duke4ever19
01-14-2019, 07:16 PM
*curse words*

ChrisP
01-14-2019, 07:16 PM
C r. A. P.!

devilsince1977
01-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Who the heck bet that Goldwire would not see the court earlier in this tread?

scottdude8
01-14-2019, 07:18 PM
That looks like Tre dislocated his shoulder. I hope that’s all it is. This is gonna be a more stressful game then we expected...

miramar
01-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Three injuries/illnesses in two games.

slower
01-14-2019, 07:22 PM
O'Connell's reluctance to shoot is becoming problematic.

ChrisP
01-14-2019, 07:32 PM
Zion just made the worst move he could there. Right into the defender...why?

ChrisP
01-14-2019, 07:34 PM
ACC refs embarrassing themselves agaim tonight - that RJ carry was ridiculous

DU82
01-14-2019, 07:36 PM

I disagree. He never “carried” the ball, the ball got away from him and he then got his hand on top/side of it, not below the ball.

arnie
01-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Refs keeping us in it. Think it’s obvious that Goldwire is not the answer at PG next year - he’s trying hard, but so limited.

ScreechTDX1847
01-14-2019, 07:38 PM

NCAA officiating is generally terrible. It’s honestly almost ruined the sport for me.

BobBender
01-14-2019, 07:38 PM
That looks like Tre dislocated his shoulder. I hope that’s all it is. This is gonna be a more stressful game then we expected...

His health is more important than this one game; can only hope it’s an old-fashioned “stinger”, as they call it in football

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 07:40 PM
It’s over

AZLA
01-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Boeheim and Syracuse have never been so more annoying and never so more deserving to get a beat down... that foul against Tre was so reckless. They are hacking everywhere and jumping underneath for weak charge calls. Jimmys can stuff his side line antics. Lord I hope Tre is okay. Crush em Duke!

gofurman
01-14-2019, 07:41 PM

I hate to say it but These injuries make watching not very enjoyable.

Please

No jinx

slower
01-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Boeheim and Syracuse have never been so more annoying and never so more deserving to get a beat down... that foul against Tre was so reckless.
Not gonna say that Howard TRIED to hurt Tre, but I'm not eliminating it as a possibility.

AZLA
01-14-2019, 07:44 PM
His health is more important than this one game; can only hope it’s an old-fashioned “stinger”, as they call it in football

Stingers playing football hurt bad … but the numbness would usually wear off after a few hours or days. No major long term damage. And that was with pads. Please please please hoping Tre is no worse for wear.

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Not only does Syracuse get the benefit of Reddish being sick and Tre likely not playing most of the game, but also are shooting freakishly well from 3 for a 29% team. Awesome...

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Pray for Tre.

wavedukefan70s
01-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Not only does Syracuse get the benefit of Reddish being sick and Tre likely not playing most of the game, but also are shooting freakishly well from 3 for a 29% team. Awesome...

And we are still ahead.

slower
01-14-2019, 07:47 PM
And we are still ahead.

And now we're not.

Don't get overconfident.

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Also feeling good about picking the Over

wavedukefan70s
01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
And now we're not.

Don't get overconfident.

Dang im on 8 minute delay oops.29 to 24

slower
01-14-2019, 07:49 PM
O'Connell's reluctance to shoot is becoming problematic.
Okay, better. We're gonna need some points from him. And if Zion gets in foul trouble...

golfinesquire
Not gonna say that Howard TRIED to hurt Tre, but I'm not eliminating it as a possibility.

Come on. That was just a hard basketball play. Let’s not be bad sports.

gofurman
All that matters is Tre health. That's all. No jinx

ChrisP
01-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Agreed

Ranidad
01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
We need to find a way to disrupt their offense without Tre.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
When will Bolden and DeLaurier start being contributors out there? Think we're going to see how important a bench is. Also, who will stop Battle?

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 07:53 PM
When will Bolden and DeLaurier start being contributors out there? Think we're going to see how important a bench is. Also, who will stop Battle?

The law of averages?

slower
01-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Let's just say that it appeared (IMO) he knew there would be contact, and didn't try to avoid it. Listen, if you've ever played sports, you know that it's not that difficult to hurt somebody without looking like you tried to do it.

Again, not saying he DID try to do it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

JetpackJesus
01-14-2019, 07:55 PM
And thus endeth the complaints about FSU getting a 5-on-4 possession because the refs didn't stop play for an injured player in pain.

EDIT: Do not stop the complaints that the refs didn't stop play by failing to call an obvious foul.

AZLA
01-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Is this a big east game?

snewman92
01-14-2019, 07:59 PM

. . .went hard for the ball. Unfortunate outcome.

AGDukesky
01-14-2019, 08:00 PM
I’ll be shocked if this is a Duke win

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Like I said, who will stop Battle?

WHOneedsSOX
01-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Are you kidding me? Game would be a blowout if Jones didn't get hurt. Hope he's ok to go Saturday.

CameronDuke
How in the world did he make that?

Looking like it's gonna be one of those nights.

Pray for Tre.

fuse
Well, we know who the real MVP is.
Sending healthy vibes to Tre.

Struggling to think about anything positive in the half.
That shot was deeper than Dockery against VT.

Crazy. Hoping for a better second half.

Let’s Go Duke!!!

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Let's just say that it appeared (IMO) he knew there would be contact, and didn't try to avoid it. Listen, if you've ever played sports, you know that it's not that difficult to hurt somebody without looking like you tried to do it.

Again, not saying he DID try to do it, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Agree, that was more than just a hard b/b play.

wavedukefan70s
01-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Agree, that was more than just a hard b/b play.

I feel it was excessive

ndkjr70
01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Can anyone take an educated guess on what happened with Tre?

We’re not a top-5 team without him. This is 2011 Kyrie. The gap between Tre and Jordan Goldwire or Alex OConnell is.... dramatic.

ndkjr70
01-14-2019, 08:07 PM
I feel it was excessive

It was two kids going for a loose ball in a big game.

Relax.

ncexnyc
01-14-2019, 08:08 PM
How much more can go wrong tonight? Hopefully the law of averages will kick in and the Cuze will shoot their normal % from 3pt range.

TruBlu
01-14-2019, 08:08 PM
I’m glad that last shot didn’t happen in 2010 in Indy.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:09 PM
I don't care what happens the rest of the game. I just want Tre to be OK. I don't even care if we win or lose tonight near as much as I want Tre to be ok.

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Keys to second half:
1. Better transition and three point defense.
2. Need Jack and AOC to shoot well to take pressure off of RJ and Zion.
3. Need Javin and Bolden to get some critical offensive rebounds. They are there to be had.
4. Foul trouble. Which team will avoid it? Neither is that deep.

ChrisP
You guys claiming or insinuating that the Cuse player TRIED to hurt Tre need to stop. Seriously.

I predict Duke will win but it's gonna come down to who has the ball last. Just gotta hope to outscore them, it seems like.

ndkjr70
I don't care what happens the rest of the game. I just want Tre to be OK. I don't even care if we win or lose tonight near as much as I want Tre to be ok.

Couldn’t agree more. We could lose by 30 if it means Tre is back by Saturday.

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2019, 08:11 PM

Amen. 😊

ndkjr70
01-14-2019, 08:11 PM

I can’t watch that highlight without getting a little nervous when that ball gets in the air. It makes me sick thinking how close it was.

The moving screen to get him open was blatant. Singler got borderline tackled.

DU82
01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
Can anyone take an educated guess on what happened with Tre?

We’re not a top-5 team without him. This is 2011 Kyrie. The gap between Tre and Jordan Goldwire or Alex OConnell is... dramatic.

The gap between Tre and Cam is not as great. cam would be playing point tonight if he wasn’t sick.

Bob Green
01-14-2019, 08:13 PM
The gap between Tre and Cam is not as great. cam would be playing point tonight if he wasn’t sick.

Cam cannot replicate Jones' on ball defense.

fan345678
01-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Syracuse is basically Canada. We have our Canada lineup. Let’s go!

CameronDuke
NEWS/UPDATE: Tre won’t return tonight.

TruBlu
This could be Syracuse’s night. Banked 3, way exceeding their normal shooting, 3/4 Court 3 at the buzzer.

But expect Coach K to make some adjustments.

AZLA
Wake up Crazies!

WHOneedsSOX
01-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Well, we know who the real MVP is.
Sending healthy vibes to Tre.

Struggling to think about anything positive in the half.
That shot was deeper than Dockery against VT.

Crazy. Hoping for a better second half.

Let’s Go Duke!!!

Remember the quote by Coach K after the blue, white scrimmage? Forgot what team won but Coach K said, of course they won. They had Tre.

gocanes0506
01-14-2019, 08:16 PM
Based on him holding his wrist, his shoulder probably dislocated. He could need a week or two to get his strength and mobility back. Of course he could take needle shots to help. If so, we would see his game/ aggressiveness change to protect his shoulder.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Bigfoot Bolden can help if he gets psyched.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Again, who will stop Battle?

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:22 PM
When will Jack hit a shot?

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:24 PM
We are fighting as hard as we can and trying our damndest to win this one for Tre. Alex is hustling his butt off.

Keep fighting boys.

arnie
01-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Our D is really bad. Syracuse lucky from 3, but we really miss Cam and Tre on D.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:30 PM
‪Zion has this team on his back. God bless you young man #LetsGoDuke #PrayForTre ‬

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2019, 08:32 PM
I can’t watch that highlight without getting a little nervous when that ball gets in the air. It makes me sick thinking how close it was.

The moving screen to get him open was blatant. Singler got borderline tackled.

Everytime I see a replay, I hold my breath.. So far, it hasn’t gone in.

ndkjr70
01-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Jack White hasn’t hit a bucket since Madison Square Garden.

ChrisP
01-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Zion and RJ and AOC got this, people. :)

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:34 PM
AOC is getting beat up - looks so small out there....but he's hustling. GO DUKE!

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Without Zion, we'd be doomed!

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:37 PM
My God. We are blessed to be able to watch Zion play for us at Duke. Good Lord that block. He is a once in a lifetime talent.

Old Dukie
Jack White hasn’t hit a bucket since Madison Square Garden.

Agree, he should only shoot 10 ft of less. Concentrate on RB!

DUKIE V(A)
Jack not confident with his shot, but he is doing other things that are very helpful. He’s a warrior.

AZLA
01-14-2019, 08:38 PM
My God. We are blessed to be able to watch Zion play for us at Duke. Good Lord that block. He is a once in a lifetime talent.

Six pack courtesy of Zion packing

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Welcome to Duke Alex O'Connell. That young man is having a breakout game.

WHOneedsSOX
They're completely backing off the perimeter now daring Duke to shoot. White won't, he's all in his head. Barrett looks like he's thinking about it too before he shoots.

billy
My guess is separated shoulder; didn’t look dislocated walking off floor. All team docs back to the bench now, no Tre.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Zion goes to a different altitude on some rebounds he grabs. He yanks them down with two hands, too. Unbelievable.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Got to go inside Duke!

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:47 PM
7-29 from 3. Gross.

gocanes0506
01-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Wow the refs are less than desirable. Cant go inside when you beat from every angle and zero calls.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Time for Vrank....Cuse throwing elbows everywhere!

arnie
7-29 from 3. Gross.

And Orange 10 of 18.

WVDUKEFAN
My guess is separated shoulder; didn’t look dislocated walking off floor. All team docs back to the bench now, no Tre.

I thought the same thing. Hopefully not separated, either.

InSpades
01-14-2019, 08:50 PM
I have an idea... let's shoot some more 3s, cause that seems to be working really well so far.

The team that is shooting 25% from 3 has taken half their shots from there. The team that's shooting near 60% has taken far far less.

arnie
01-14-2019, 08:50 PM
And Orange 10 of 18.

It may come to down to O’Connell- their D works for him

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:51 PM
And Orange 10 of 18.

Now 11-19. Unbelievable.

WHOneedsSOX
01-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Jack Whites ankles getting abused two plays in a row. Ouch.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Jack is running on fumes.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Jack is tired....time for Robinson.

richardjackson199
01-14-2019, 08:56 PM

It goes without saying of course that we don't know. But hypothetically what is the prognosis of a separated shoulder (if that is what it is)? Would that be relatively good or bad news? Best case back in a few weeks? I have no clue. Thanks!

ndkjr70
01-14-2019, 08:57 PM
If jack white takes another shot I’m turning this game off.

InSpades
01-14-2019, 08:58 PM
The team looks gassed but it's no excuse for lazily throwing the ball around the perimeter and then taking a 3. That's not how you beat the zone.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Let's try something new fellas.

CameronDuke
Honestly to be down 1 here with 3 minutes left without Tre and Cam is pretty damn good in my opinion.

gocanes0506
Bolden needs to be setting high screens and get out of lane. Zion isn’t Zion because it’s crowded.

gocanes0506
01-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Honestly to be down 1 here with 3 minutes left without Tre and Cam is pretty damn good in my opinion.

Very true

And no foul calls with zion. This big guy would have fouled out 10 minutes ago if the refs made calls.

DBGoins
01-14-2019, 09:01 PM
Anyone think it may be a collarbone for tre? Looked like he grabbed at that area.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:03 PM
After all the contact the refs let go on Zion drives they call THAT?! Bolden tied the ball up for a jump ball!

By the way, Bolden is an NBA level talent. This is a breakout game for him. Wow.

rsvman
01-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Agree. Terrible call.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Bolden must be ready....he'll be tested.

ChillinDuke
01-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Is this the game we lose because of our bad 3-point shooting?

Or is this the game we lose because of an 80-foot off balance halftime prayer?

Or both?

- Chillin

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Zion is the only inside threat tonight.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Down to the last possession tied missing two starters including the best defensive player in the country. I'll take it.

gocanes0506
01-14-2019, 09:07 PM
After all the contact the refs let go on Zion drives they call THAT?! Bolden tied the ball up for a jump ball!

By the way, Bolden is an NBA level talent. This is a breakout game for him. Wow.

It really makes no sense. They called that but allowed everything else.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Who can/will stop Battle?

Dukehk
Zion getting mauled all game as usual. No foul calls.

This team has done well to hang in there considering the short turnaround and injury problems to half our starting lineup.

gocanes0506
OT isn’t what we needed

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:09 PM
We live for 5 more minutes (at least). What grit by our boys. Can't worry about Tre right now although I'm still a bit depressed.

KEEP FIGHTING BOYS. NEVER SAY DIE.

AZLA
01-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Time for Vrank...Cuse throwing elbows everywhere!

Good point actually

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:11 PM
It really makes no sense. They called that but allowed everything else.

Seriously, you're kidding - right?

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Zion continues to get mauled in OT. Lots of contact getting let go by this officiating crew.

ChillinDuke
01-14-2019, 09:12 PM
We needed / need to find subs in a game like this. No?

- Chillin

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Shooting over the 7 ft Bolden all night. Can't be jump?

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Such a cold night for Jack White.

Old Dukie
01-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Geeeeeez....White still shooting....crazy!

WHOneedsSOX
01-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Good thing they're off until Saturday. Must be gassed.

CameronDuke
01-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Lazy pass by Alex

Dukehk
01-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Oh dear Jack White.

WHOneedsSOX
Zion suffering from Shaq reffing. Doesn't get calls cause he's bigger than everyone.

ndkjr70
Jack white is 100% the reason we will lose this game. Stop shooting.

gocanes0506
Seriously, you're kidding - right?

Ummm no. Zion lost the ball with no contact. Yet the whole half is getting mauled with zero contact. It makes no sense. 13 should have been out of the game 15 minutes ago.

How do you consider that a whistle able offense but not the rest of the half. The refs are terrible and add to it inconsistent which makes it worse.

Dukehk
01-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Zion suffering from Shaq reffing. Doesn't get calls cause he's bigger than everyone.

except chukwu is 7'2.

Real shame the ACC consistently does a crap refereeing job.

WHOneedsSOX
except chukwu is 7'2.

Real shame the ACC consistently does a crap refereeing job.

He's taller but weighs 100 pounds less.

CameronDuke
That foul they called on White under the basket was AWFUL. That's basket interference. Then Bilas says that's a good call. Unbelievable. What did he do wrong? Stand there?

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2019, 09:18 PM
Clutch shot by RJ!!

Dukehk
We are something like 9-40 from three point range?

Hit at least 2 or 3 of those and this would probably have been a blowout.

Can't blame Jack, but clearly there is something wrong with him today (and even last game). He seems to have a hit a wall. Not something you would expect from a Junior.

Old Dukie
K - please put White on bench...normally, I wouldn't say this but he's surely a liability out there tonight.

WHOneedsSOX
01-14-2019, 09:19 PM
That foul they called on White under the basket was AWFUL. That's basket interference. Then Bilas says that's a good call. Unbelievable. What did he do wrong? Stand there?

His reasoning was he kinda used his hip. If you have to guess and grasp for a reason why it was called, it probably shouldn't have been.

gocanes0506
01-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Makes me sick 13 should have been out long ago.

WHOneedsSOX
Tough loss. They gave all they had. Just undermanned today. Have Tre or Cam and they probably win this.

fuse
Two miracles in two games too much to ask.

Dukehk
01-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Probably the one game where we needed Cam the most. A legit 3 point threat.

No excuses though. We had good looks all game (Jack White!) and they just didn't go down.

Lets pray that Tre is ok and Cam gets well too. Not a bad loss at all. We were just gassed.

Bluedog
We are something like 9-40 from three point range?

Hit at least 2 or 3 of those and this would probably have been a blowout.

Can't blame Jack, but clearly there is something wrong with him today (and even last game). He seems to have a hit a wall. Not something you would expect from a Junior.

9-43 from 3!!!

WHOneedsSOX
Two miracles in two games too much to ask.

Syracuse hit the miracle tonight.